• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I can imagine it would be very useful when oil appears and you want to know who to sphere or conquer to ensure you have a good supply of it

You don't need a new mapmode to know where Abu Dhabi and Nejd are!

What about parts of Persia, Romania, America, Russia and so on... in any case, I'd say it would be handy to see which parts of Abu Dhabia and Nejd had those resources!

Well Abu Dhabi is a OSM so it doesn't really matter does it?

Hmmm, the cultural mapmode is cool but there seem to have been some weird migration / assimilation gone on.
Agreed. This stuff looks great, but it looks like the fundamental problem of "too much assimilation in Europe" (read: Austria/Austria-Hungary/Ottoman Empire/Russia) is far from being solved!

Agreed. This stuff looks great, but it looks like the fundamental problem of "too much assimilation in Europe" (read: Austria/Austria-Hungary/Ottoman Empire/Russia) is far from being solved!
This. We need much more ethnical strife and anger in Eastern Europe and the Balkans.

Actually, should there even be assimilation? Even in a tiny country as the Netherlands, 19th century nationalism was never able to root out all kinds of dialects, which still persist today. Although I would not plea for a Neder-Saksische or Frysian culture, I do question whether many people in this period really assimilated. Would the game system be more correct, there would not have been anyone who felt himself Polish halfway through the game, yet the conciousness of the Polish state was never errassed from the memories of the population and they were quite eager for rebuilding it after WWI. And let's not even go into India.

Moreover, Russia and Prussia (later Germany) had a mutual interst in keeping the Polish population down, which was reflected in their foreign policy. A great deal of the need for the "League of the Three Emperors" came from the partion of Poland and the interest they had in keeping the population in all three states down.

At first I thought "New map modes? Meh!" but some of them are great additions. I'm sick of scrolling around the world in infra-mapmode to find best province for annexation/sphereing. :)

@podcat: Could you post some infos about your changes to the AI you mentioned in the last DD please?

AHD DD14 – Mapmodes

Population density.
This shows how populated provinces are within each nation. Note that all nations are only comparing internal population, so a green state in China or India might still have a lot of pops.

Could you maybe modify this so that it works similar to the "Spheres of Influence", "Supply Limit" and "Relations" map modes?

Meaning that if you haven't selected any country it shows you the international comparison of all provinces in the world, but when you select a country's province it shows you the internal ratios.

Meaning that if you haven't selected any country it shows you the international comparison of all provinces in the world, but when you select a country's province it shows you the internal ratios.

That would be a nice feature.

One question though: In an earlier Dev Diary you mentioned that you had a plan to deal with the thousand ship fleets that have a tendency to show up in the game. Could you elaborate more on this?

Did anyone answer this? I'm also interested in if AHD handles this.

I've always thought that military (soldiers) should also go down if one decides to build ships ... and thousands of them. You have to man them with something besides ghosts and phantom pops.

Did anyone answer this? I'm also interested in if AHD handles this.

I've always thought that military (soldiers) should also go down if one decides to build ships ... and thousands of them. You have to man them with something besides ghosts and phantom pops.

we are tweaking costs etc. it is still in Flux(tm)

@podcat: Could you post some infos about your changes to the AI you mentioned in the last DD please?

what were those. I dont remember :D can you quote my old post?

Bear in mind it's an endgame shot and the mapmode is only striped when a minority is at least 30% of the total.
Thought all of this, the outcome is similar to the one we use to get in vanilla when all these big empires do not break up early (that is, never) and I keep thinking that assimilation in Europe and Asia is too much.

This. We need much more ethnical strife and anger in Eastern Europe and the Balkans.

Actually, should there even be assimilation? Even in a tiny country as the Netherlands, 19th century nationalism was never able to root out all kinds of dialects, which still persist today. Although I would not plea for a Neder-Saksische or Frysian culture, I do question whether many people in this period really assimilated. Would the game system be more correct, there would not have been anyone who felt himself Polish halfway through the game, yet the conciousness of the Polish state was never errassed from the memories of the population and they were quite eager for rebuilding it after WWI. And let's not even go into India.

Moreover, Russia and Prussia (later Germany) had a mutual interst in keeping the Polish population down, which was reflected in their foreign policy. A great deal of the need for the "League of the Three Emperors" came from the partion of Poland and the interest they had in keeping the population in all three states down.
I totally second this.

Thought all of this, the outcome is similar to the one we use to get in vanilla when all these big empires do not break up early (that is, never) and I keep thinking that assimilation in Europe and Asia is too much.

I totally second this.

we tweaked assimilation quite a bit this morning, also there is actually a lot of big empires breaking up in AHD. ireland/scottland becoming independent, iceland even etc. russia can fall apart as well unless they become a happy communist paradise

we tweaked assimilation quite a bit this morning, also there is actually a lot of big empires breaking up in AHD. ireland/scottland becoming independent, iceland even etc. russia can fall apart as well unless they become a happy communist paradise

Cool!

Love the new mapmodes, especially for RGO production...easy to plan an empire now.
Is it too late to petition for a GDP/GDP per capita variable?

Please be the real Andrew Marr.