• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If Byzantine Empire accepts the Union of the Churches, it gets kicked out of its alliance with the Morean Despotate. The event should get Byzantium back into its alliance with Morea and maybe make Morean state religion Catholic also.

Or just get rid of the independent Morea before 1453 thingy :p Talking about it, the event that cedes Constantinople to the Turks if they capture it and you have Morea should turn your tag to the Morean one.

the 2 brothers than governed Morea where fully independent of BYZ even though one brother , Constantine, became the last Emperor of BYZ.
The other brother , I cannot remember if it was Thomas or demetrius fled to Rome around 1458 and gave his kingdom away to the Ottomans.

So, Morea was not even in alliance with BYZ , but a vassal of the TUR

Konstantinos Dragases was appointed by Emperor Ioannes to Morea as a despotes, it was considered to be a part of the Byzantine "Empire" back then.
Demetrios only became Turkish vassal after Constantinople was captured. He was forced to give Morea to Mehmet after the latter helped him defeat Thomas, Demetrios' anti-Turkish brother. After being defeated by Ottoman forces, Thomas fled to Italy, while Demetrios became a honorary prisoner of the Sultan.

Basically, Morea became a Turkish vassal only when BYZ ceased to exist, when BYZ still existed, Morea was an autonomous part of it.

Does anyone know how complete/playable donm61873's upgrade to the Fantasy Byzantium scenario for FTG is? I saw a link to it earlier in the thread, but from what I have gathered, development has primarily been for the original AGCEEP version rather than the FTG version.

On a related note; I had a ton of event-related problems when I played the original Fantasy Byzantium. I checked the event file, and a ton of events that were supposed to trigger never did, and many which weren't supposed to trigger did. Do saves in EU2/FTG get...Broken when saved/reloaded too often or something? Certain events, like the "Magnates" and "The Turks in [Province]" only triggered right after I reloaded.

Theodoros event

In my current game as the Ottoman Empire I was surprised by the event below.
My army had just ended the siege of Theodoros, captured the province and suddenly they had the Palace revolt event.

As far as I understand the event it should be a Theodoros noble with Moldavian aid staging a coup against the Theodors ruler. In my game Moldavia has been reduced to one inland province and that is occupied by my allies the Ak Koyunlu.

I would suggest to change the event so that it only happens if Moldavia is actually able and willing to support a coup of the anti-turkish party and the Ottomans don´t already control the province. Overthrowing the pro-turkish ruler should be impossible if the ruler is actually in a war against the turks.

Code:
#(1475) Palace Coup
#by Khephren - reworked by YodaMaster and aylo1
event = {
	id = 196001
	trigger = {
		[color=yellow]OR = {[/color]
                       [color=red]exists[/color][color=yellow]neighbour[/color] = MOL
                       [color=yellow]control = { province = 319 data = MOL } #Bujak Moldavias connection to the Black sea[/color]
                            }
		event = 231000 #MOL: Maria of Mangup
		NOT = {
			AND = {
				countrysize = 4
				control = { province = 464 data = -1 } #Kaffa
                                [color=yellow] war = { country = KAL country = TUR }[/color]
			         }
		         }
	     }
	random = no
	country = KAL
	name = "EVENTNAME196001" #Palace Coup
	desc = "EVENTHIST196001"
	#-#In light of Issakios Saichos's pro-Ottoman stance, Stefan III of Moldavia backed Alexandros Gabras's bid for the throne. Supplying him with 300 mercenaries, Gabras sailed from Montecastro to Kalimita where he murdered Saichos and assumed control of Theodoros. This usurpation led to Mangup being invested by Ottoman general Gedik Ahmed Pasha - who took its citadel in December 1475.

date = { day = 1 month = january year = 1475 }
	offset = 10
	deathdate = { day = 29 month = december year = 1475 }

action_a = {
		name = "ACTIONNAME196001A" #Proclaim Alexandros Prince
		command = { type = relation which = TUR value = -150 }
		command = { type = relation which = MOL value = 50 }
		command = { type = wakemonarch which = 066503 } #Alexandros
		command = { type = stability value = -3 }
		command = { type = manpower value = 15 } #rep troops vs TUR later
		command = { type = revolt which = 464 } #Kerch
	}
}

Last edited:
I've made some fixes to the annex to make it fit better with FTG, and to correct the errors above and some others.

I know there are problems with the Lion in Winter event and will be working on that shortly...

View attachment 38797

What fixes?
Where did you post the fixes so that all can see what you want to change?

I've made some fixes to the annex to make it fit better with FTG, and to correct the errors above and some others.

I know there are problems with the Lion in Winter event and will be working on that shortly...

View attachment 38797

Last night I've downloaded this and actually read through the entire event file. There's some great stuff in there and if it were not for a small detail, I'd be playing this mod right now... but I'm on MyMap and just thinking of trying to adopt all those events to a new map makes my head hurt :confused:

The idea of converting the FTG-AGCEEP Byzantium Triumphant mod to MyMap has always excited me, but I would always reach the same place you described...head hurting, and confusion. Best of Luck, and if it turns out well, I would love to see it.

I am donm61873's tester/son for this project. And I always enjoy seeing what people have done with the scenario...

I would note that it would actually be easier to revolt against a ruler if they had been pro-Ottoman, and then betrayed by the Ottomans...in this scenario, the nobility would revolt, with the sole purpose of expelling the Ottomans, and Issakios Saicho. However, I agree it shouldn't be a Moldovian supported revolt, instead it should be an option available to every Catholic/Greek Orthodox Power in good relations with Theodoros...like Genoa, Georgia, Ahbakazia, Trebizond, Byzantine Empire, Moldova, Wallachia, Hungary, and Poland. I would also think that in the region, the Golden Horde would have a vested interest in keeping the Ottomans out of the Black Sea, just like Genoa. I could then counter that by saying if Crimea is already in play by the time of your war, then Crimea can either back the Ottomans (and lead to an early vassalage, like an acquiesce of sovereignty) or the rebels, or even claim the territory themselves, and go to war with both Theodoros and the Ottomans. In either scenario you either have a scenario similar to the war between Cambodia, Annam, and Siam in Victoria, or you have a revolt-like crisis similar to the Hussite Rebellion. Both are good, and they both carry the theme of the Islamic Empire being the fear of every European at the time. I hope my suggestions are helpful, but do not appear to be ramblings either...

I would note that it would actually be easier to revolt against a ruler if they had been pro-Ottoman, and then betrayed by the Ottomans...in this scenario, the nobility would revolt, with the sole purpose of expelling the Ottomans, and Issakios Saicho. However, I agree it shouldn't be a Moldovian supported revolt, instead it should be an option available to every Catholic/Greek Orthodox Power in good relations with Theodoros...like Genoa, Georgia, Ahbakazia, Trebizond, Byzantine Empire, Moldova, Wallachia, Hungary, and Poland. I would also think that in the region, the Golden Horde would have a vested interest in keeping the Ottomans out of the Black Sea, just like Genoa. I could then counter that by saying if Crimea is already in play by the time of your war, then Crimea can either back the Ottomans (and lead to an early vassalage, like an acquiesce of sovereignty) or the rebels, or even claim the territory themselves, and go to war with both Theodoros and the Ottomans. In either scenario you either have a scenario similar to the war between Cambodia, Annam, and Siam in Victoria, or you have a revolt-like crisis similar to the Hussite Rebellion. Both are good, and they both carry the theme of the Islamic Empire being the fear of every European at the time. I hope my suggestions are helpful, but do not appear to be ramblings either...

The problems with that would be for example that Byzanz and Trebizond usually are - or should be - already gone at that time.
And states that historically did not act on the annexation of Theodoros should not get that option by event - they still can declare war if they want using the normal game mechanics.

Does anyone know how complete/playable donm61873's upgrade to the Fantasy Byzantium scenario for FTG is? I saw a link to it earlier in the thread, but from what I have gathered, development has primarily been for the original AGCEEP version rather than the FTG version.

On a related note; I had a ton of event-related problems when I played the original Fantasy Byzantium. I checked the event file, and a ton of events that were supposed to trigger never did, and many which weren't supposed to trigger did. Do saves in EU2/FTG get...Broken when saved/reloaded too often or something? Certain events, like the "Magnates" and "The Turks in [Province]" only triggered right after I reloaded.

They should work just fine. Are you running into a specific issue with Byzantium Triumphant?

In my current game as the Ottoman Empire I was surprised by the event below.
My army had just ended the siege of Theodoros, captured the province and suddenly they had the Palace revolt event.

As far as I understand the event it should be a Theodoros noble with Moldavian aid staging a coup against the Theodors ruler. In my game Moldavia has been reduced to one inland province and that is occupied by my allies the Ak Koyunlu.

I would suggest to change the event so that it only happens if Moldavia is actually able and willing to support a coup of the anti-turkish party and the Ottomans don´t already control the province. Overthrowing the pro-turkish ruler should be impossible if the ruler is actually in a war against the turks.

Code:
#(1475) Palace Coup
#by Khephren - reworked by YodaMaster and aylo1
event = {
	id = 196001
	trigger = {
		[color=yellow]OR = {[/color]
                       [color=red]exists[/color][color=yellow]neighbour[/color] = MOL
                       [color=yellow]control = { province = 319 data = MOL } #Bujak Moldavias connection to the Black sea[/color]
                            }
		event = 231000 #MOL: Maria of Mangup
		NOT = {
			AND = {
				countrysize = 4
				control = { province = 464 data = -1 } #Kaffa
                                [color=yellow] war = { country = KAL country = TUR }[/color]
			         }
		         }
	     }
	random = no
	country = KAL
	name = "EVENTNAME196001" #Palace Coup
	desc = "EVENTHIST196001"
	#-#In light of Issakios Saichos's pro-Ottoman stance, Stefan III of Moldavia backed Alexandros Gabras's bid for the throne. Supplying him with 300 mercenaries, Gabras sailed from Montecastro to Kalimita where he murdered Saichos and assumed control of Theodoros. This usurpation led to Mangup being invested by Ottoman general Gedik Ahmed Pasha - who took its citadel in December 1475.

date = { day = 1 month = january year = 1475 }
	offset = 10
	deathdate = { day = 29 month = december year = 1475 }

action_a = {
		name = "ACTIONNAME196001A" #Proclaim Alexandros Prince
		command = { type = relation which = TUR value = -150 }
		command = { type = relation which = MOL value = 50 }
		command = { type = wakemonarch which = 066503 } #Alexandros
		command = { type = stability value = -3 }
		command = { type = manpower value = 15 } #rep troops vs TUR later
	}
}

That event is an AGCEEP event, not a Byzantium Triumphant event. Can we put together such a change for the current beta?

It's a simple change to event 196001 in the AGCEEP_Specific_Theodoros.eue file.

OR, should I create a BT-specific version of this event and change it so that the original is slept?

Last edited:
In the reclamation of Anatolia events, why does the province culture change to Greek when you chose to expel the Turks, but not the religion to Orthodox? That seems kind of nonsensical and feels unrealistic. Back in those days, religion was far more of an issue than ethnicity.

I think rather than triggering when you own all of Anatolia, these events should trigger for each Muslim core province individually once you own it and innovationess is below 5. First and foremost, religion should be changed. The empire would have no issue with the Turks if they were all devout, loyal Orthodoxs.

Last edited:
In the reclamation of Anatolia events, why does the province culture change to Greek when you chose to expel the Turks, but not the religion to Orthodox? That seems kind of nonsensical and feels unrealistic. Back in those days, religion was far more of an issue than ethnicity.

I think rather than triggering when you own all of Anatolia, these events should trigger for each Muslim core province individually once you own it and innovationess is below 5. First and foremost, religion should be changed. The empire would have no issue with the Turks if they were all devout, loyal Orthodoxs.

Those events expect from you to convert the provinces religion YOURSELF.
You can´t change the culture of a province ingame (except through an event, so that change needs to be done with the event) but the gamemechanics allow the player to send missionaries to provinces and try to convert them to his own state religion. The ahistorical course of action to reclaim anatolia for the roman empire is supposed to be costly, difficult and a long process, so it´s intentional that this is done by the player himself using the gamemechanic.

Those events expect from you to convert the provinces religion YOURSELF.
You can´t change the culture of a province ingame (except through an event, so that change needs to be done with the event) but the gamemechanics allow the player to send missionaries to provinces and try to convert them to his own state religion. The ahistorical course of action to reclaim anatolia for the roman empire is supposed to be costly, difficult and a long process, so it´s intentional that this is done by the player himself using the gamemechanic.

Yet it feels wrong. Culture was not really an issue back in those days. What these events are supposed to model is essentially a conversion by sword. Of course it needs to be extremely costly to make the player consider other options, but it would be more appropriate to model this through the event itself (massive reductions in population and province income, increased revolt risk, several uprisings, -200 gold or so per province forcibly converted ). Also, the events should fire on a per province basis, to reflect the hypothetical Byzantine advance into Asia Minor. It would also be plausible to tie the trigger to the level of innovationness. A country has to be extremely narrowminded and fanatic to even consider mass expulsions for religious reasons.