Admiral Barbarossa, John Ward, Jan Janszoon and formable Barbary/Pirate state possibility?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

withche.07

Lt. General
133 Badges
Oct 1, 2014
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Island Bound
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • BATTLETECH
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Prison Architect: Psych Ward
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Empire of Sin
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • War of the Roses
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayreddin_Barbarossa
https://www.britannica.com/biography/Barbarossa

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbary_pirates
https://www.britannica.com/topic/Barbary-pirate

Barbarossa is one of the most famous pirates/admirals in all history which was alive and doing gods works around 1500s to 1545s.
He beat holy league in Battle of Preveza, he kept raiding mediterrenean coasts, stealing ships from European powers. He established the Ottoman supremacy in the Mediterranean. The guy practically made Ottomans 3rd largest naval force.

Barbarossa AKA Redbeard
Greek/Turkish Pirate
circa 1530's

"He and his brother Aruj, sons of a Turk from Lesbos, took up piracy on the Barbary Coast in hopes of seizing an African domain for themselves. When Aruj was killed in 1518, Khidr took the title Khayr al-Din. He offered allegiance to the Ottoman sultan and in return received military aid that enabled him to capture Algiers in 1529. Appointed admiral in chief of the Ottoman Empire (1533), he conquered all of Tunisia. Emperor Charles V captured Tunis in 1535, but Khayr al-Din defeated his fleet at the Battle of Preveza (1538), securing the eastern Mediterranean for the Turks for 33 years. His red beard was the source of the epithet Barbarossa, used by Europeans."

200px-Barbarossa_Hayreddin_Pasha.jpg

I think that piracy/barbary naval actions might be lot more active in EU4 to make naval gameplay more serious and detailed by the way.

Also English later Muslim pirate called Jack Ward was also famous, possibly inspired Jack Sparrow character even.

John/Jack Ward AKA Yusuf Reis
Barbary Corsair
Active 1553 - 1622
"

In 1602 John Ward was jailed for plundering a Danish ship in the Caribbean. Then in 1603, Ward was forced into the Royal Navy, which by some was considered to be a fate worse than death. Shortly afterward, he and 30 others deserted at Plymouth and stole a small bark. Despite the size of the ship, they were able to capture a two larger ships, one with six guns, and set sail for the Mediterranean. Two years later he stole a 32-gun warship and renamed it the Gift and used it to plunder several merchantmen loaded with spices and silks.

In 1605 in Morocco, several English and Dutch sailors joined his crew, including Richard Bishop and Anthony Johnson. By the end of 1606, Ward had worked a deal with Uthman Dey, the ruler of Tunis. He was permitted to use Tunis as a safe haven from where he could strike out in hunt for prey. In return, Uthman Dey would buy their booty for a fifth of its true value. From their base, they took several rich prizes, including a 60 ton ship loaded with a tremendously valuable cargo.

The winter of 1607 Ward's largest ship became unseaworthy so he secretly deserted with a few of his crew, sailing off in a French ship. The large ship sank off Greece drowning 250 muslim and 150 English sailors aboard. The Tunisians were outraged over the loss of men and Ward's desertion, but Uthman Dey, wealthy from his dealings with Ward, offered him protection. Ward however offered King James I a large bribe in exchange for a pardon. King James refused Ward's offer and Ward was forced to return to Tunis. Uthman Dey kept his word, however, and Ward was safe. Ward eventually became a muslim and changed his name to Yusuf Reis. As Yusuf Reis, he continued his career in piracy until 1622, up until the age of 70. By then he had both an Italian wife and also a wife in England.

He lived out the rest of his life in luxury and may have died of the plague."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_Abductions

Turkish supported piracy kept ongoing even into Atlantic sea, reaching Iceland.

Jan Janszoon
AKA Murad Reis
Active 1620

This Dutch privateer joined the Barbary corsairs and in 1627 led a Muslim fleet to Iceland, where they took slaves and plunder.

"Ireland was subject to a similar attack. In June 1631 Murat Reis, with corsairs from Algiers and armed troops of the Ottoman Empire, stormed ashore at the little harbor village of Baltimore, County Cork. They captured almost all the villagers and took them away to a life of slavery in North Africa"

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
You could have the Pirate Republic government type. Nassau in the Bahamas was one for a few years. Alternatively, there could be the Pirate Monarchy government as well if the leader of the Republic is good enough.

The Pirate Republic and Pirate Monarchy can become a regular republic of a regular monarchy if they stop pillaging for a long time and decrease corruption.

New releasable nations:

Salé and Tétouan: Home to some of the most infamous Barbary Pirates, these nations will be releasable in 1444, and may emerge dynamically in the course of the game in the style of Habsan.

View attachment 409271
With announced next patch Salé and Tétouan are gonna be new releasable pirate states (and they are dynamic that means there might be events let player choose to release them or force ai to release)
What more to expect? Nassau? :p more pirate mechanics? Or more events about Barbarossa and other corsairs?

I take offense at the words "doing God's works" being used in regards to the Barbary pirates, who were basically slavers.

Umm Salé was basically declared nation with elective government and something similar to parliament? I mean it might sound ridicilous as "how can such robbers managed to stabilize their own country?"
But you must consider the fact, especially about mediterrenean pirates, they were flooded with Moriscos from Iberia. Those people were very experienced and dominant in stateship.
Books I am reading about pirates sometimes even state those nations were pretty much utopic level libertarian for era (1500s 1600s etc). I mean ofc they were unique states, so they could create good work out of slavery and robbery.
"In August 1529 the Turkish Muslim privateer Barbarossa Hayreddin attacked the Mediterranean coasts of Spain and helped some 70,000 Muslims and Moriscos escape from Andalusia in seven consecutive journeys"

Also sorry to bother, I used that wording trying to mean "they had huge impact" I am untidy with my english so it can happen.

Umm Salé was basically declared nation with elective government and something similar to parliament? I mean it might sound ridicilous as "how can such robbers managed to stabilize their own country?"
But you must consider the fact, especially about mediterrenean pirates, they were flooded with Moriscos from Iberia. Those people were very experienced and dominant in stateship.
Books I am reading about pirates sometimes even state those nations were pretty much utopic level libertarian for era (1500s 1600s etc). I mean ofc they were unique states, so they could create good work out of slavery and robbery.
"In August 1529 the Turkish Muslim privateer Barbarossa Hayreddin attacked the Mediterranean coasts of Spain and helped some 70,000 Muslims and Moriscos escape from Andalusia in seven consecutive journeys"

Also sorry to bother, I used that wording trying to mean "they had huge impact" I am untidy with my english so it can happen.

It existed for a single generation as a tiny city-state in the mid-17th century...it could get the Habsan treatment but making it beyond that doesn't make sense no matter how cool people think pirates are.

Doing gods works means murdering, kidnapping, stealing and enslaving innocent people?

I wish the Byzantines survived then Europe would have been a less painful place to be.

Last edited:
This is bit out of topic but everyone was "murdering, kidnapping, stealing and enslaving innocent people" in those days. Pirates were doing it for money/fame, Templars/crusaders were doing it for their king or Christian God, muslims were doing it for Allah. History is always read wrong. You cannot really judge past with current norms.

By the way it was just my mistake, I already fixed it in may another post. My English is stupidly bad so.

Good news everyone, very good Turkish historian just released book about pirates of Ottomans (1500-1700) it is called "Pirates of Sultan" I am planning to read it and bring more info.
>Foreign language link removed by moderator.<
Why should we care about how these jokers look? Were the pictures really necessary?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just asking without reading through the whole thread, but have anyone suggested making barbary corsairs an estate? Could be made an estate much like Rajputs and if the estate get's 100% influence it can break free and form a special pirate state.

The pirates would obviously have to be annoying. They were very annoying.

I always ordered pirates in the Mediterranean as pirates in the Caribbean sponsored by the English and Dutch.

I ask you generals of the time of 1500-1600 for Spain and also many pirates.

The problem is that we are in 2018, the political correction premium, the company is Swedish and I do not know if it is good that in the north of Africa there is a slave market.

I would not bet that a Swedish company, put an area of northern Africa, Muslim, pirate and slave, with missions as it attacks and get 1000 white women.

But there should be slave markets, and many pirates. In fact, if the Ottomans fund them, all trade should be reduced.

I doubt they do certain things.

@withche.07 Sorry for replying too late. I was busy lately and didn't onl.
I love pirates not just because It may introduce more depth to the game, but it also has the feeling of adventure fit perfectly to eu4 timeline.
The Great Britain used pirates to harm income of their rival Spain, and the France did too. Even the Knights was sponsored to raid, which delays Suleiman the magnificent advancing north.
But I think Paradox has come too far to introduce pirates as playable nations.
To me their existence is to be a tool for strong naval nations to harm economically each other, and so should not playable.
In the next patch you can play as big colonial pirate empire. I think it got too far and kinda odd.
Pirates are free men and spend most of their life raiding to get rich. Not to becoming conquerors. They are not Vikingrs . Some may raid for their faith or hatred, but mostly for gold and freedom, not to obey any law or king.
So a powerful captain boss can form a pirate band. But it will be disbanded after the captain dies. There will never exist a nation of real pirates. I know the Dev get the inspiration from Nassau Republic of Pirates. But it was not a real nation. Of course, they had voted for commander, but overall each ship has their own captain and just listen only to their own captain. They work just like bands of mercenary in CK2. And therefore should not be playable. But can be sponsored by a nation, guaranteed independence to raid rivals and should be disbanded after the captain dies.
I wish I can sponsor pirates to harm/trade node power Great Britain/Spain without having to wage war against their nightmare naval power.
You can also hire another rival pirate band to counter their sponsor pirate bands, which is historically accurate (Great Britain didn't want all out war with Spain) and making the colonizing game more fun.
That the direction I want EU4 to go. Not using war to solve every problems.
Right now even you have positive relationship and same religion with the Knights they still raid you (in history the Knights raided Ottomans not fellow Christian). And the only way to stop Berber raid is taking all their coastal land.
Hope they can fix the raiding system, I like Cat & mice raiding system in CK2 very much.
I also love Barbarossa and other pirate captain. Wish we could hire them like mercenary bands in CK2 to weaken rivals for us.
That's my though and suggestion on Pirates. What do you think? Do you like playing as badass pirates?

Last edited:
Not going to have time to do anything with this for the immersion pack, but I really like this stuff. Could you consolidate all your pirate info/suggestions into a thread on the suggestions subforum and tag me? Would love to do something with this at some point.
This was my suggestion post I plan to further expand with new published pirate history book I am reading @neondt
So my additional question, is this famous Irish pirate queen gonna be added? People were asking for Irish pirates and she is good historical personality to include.
http://www.mayo-ireland.ie/en/about-mayo/history/grace-omalley-the-pirate-queen.html

Last edited:
This was my suggestion post I plan to further expand with my new published pirate history book @neondt
So my additional question, is this famous Irish pirate queen gonna be added? People were asking for Irish pirates and she is good historical personality to include.
http://www.mayo-ireland.ie/en/about-mayo/history/grace-omalley-the-pirate-queen.html

Not for 1.28, Irish pirates weren't really on my radar. There's a Women in History event for her though (written as 'Gráinne Ní Mháille'). I'll tie that into the pirate mechanics at some point, she sounds very interesting :)

@neondt Thanks for your interest I will try to add more information to here about various pirates. might be for 1.29, why not? :D
This is bit out of topic for thread but, my next suggestion will be about Adriatic pirates this time!

pirates.jpg

14622992.jpg

Sources: https://mysteriouscroatia.wordpress.com/2012/12/27/pirates-of-the-adriatic-sea
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uskoks
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uskok_War
http://www.cornellpress.cornell.edu/book/?GCOI=80140100697730
http://www.balkanhistory.com/uskoks_of_senj.htm

South of Istria, along the Dalmatia coast, Slavic invaders had seized control of the area where the Narenta (Neretva) River enters the Adriatic. From the stronghold the Slavs launched incessant pirate raids on Venetian merchant ships that attempted to run their gauntlet and reach the Mediterranean. Sometimes the Slavs were joined by marauding vessels from cities of the upper Dalmatia coast, such as Zara (Zadar) and Spalato (Split); at other times the Narenta Pirates (Neretljanski gusari hrv.) preyed on those other Dalmatians as well.

During the early years of the 16th century, the Ottoman conquest of Bosnia and Herzegovina drove large numbers of Croats from their homes. A body of these “uskoks” established itself in the fortress of Klis near Split, and from there waged war against the Ottomans. Klis, however, became untenable, and the uskoks withdrew to Senj, on the Croatian coast. Their new stronghold, screened by mountains and forests, was unassailable by cavalry or artillery. Large galleys could not anchor in the bay of Senj, which is shallow and exposed to sudden gales. So, the uskoks fitted out a fleet of swift boats, which were light enough to navigate the smallest creeks and inlets of the shores of Illyria.

In 1522 the border territory of Senj was taken over by the Habsburgs under the authority of Archduke Ferdinand, forming a state-controlled Militärgrenze, or Military Frontier.
The Austrian Emperor Ferdinand I instituted a system of planting colonies of defenders along the Military Frontier. Moreover, the Uskoks were promised an annual subsidy in return for their services.
Owing to its location, Klis Fortress was an important defensive position which stands on the route by which the Ottomans could penetrate the mountain barrier separating the coastal lowlands from around Split in Croatia, from Ottoman-held Bosnia. Numerous refugees from Ottoman areas began settling along this territory, crossing the border to escape Ottoman attacks.
Christian guerilla resistance in Ottoman-occupied areas of Dalmatia and Bosnia caused these people to flee and settle down, first at the fortress of Klis along the Military Frontier, then at Senj. A body of these "uskoks" led by Croatian captain Petar Kružić used the base at Klis both to hold the Turks at bay, and to engage in marauding and piracy against coastal shipping. Although nominally accepting the sovereignty of the Habsburg Emperor Ferdinand I, who obtained the Croatian crown in 1527, Kružić and his freebooting Uskoks were a law unto themselves. After Petar Kružić's death, and the lack of water supply, the defenders of Klis finally surrendered to the Ottomans in exchange for their freedom. On March 12, 1537, the town and fortress was given up to the Ottomans, many of the citizens left the town while the Uskoks went to the city of Senj on the Adriatic coast, where they continued fighting the Ottomans. They may have started to gather around Senj as early as 1520 (Bracewell 1992). The Ottoman raids and destruction brought Senj natives together with those from the Habsburg lands, Dalmatians, Ragusans and Italians. At Senj, the Klis Uskoks were soon joined by other refugees from Novi Vinodolski in northwestern Croatia, from Otočac on the Gacka River, and from other Croatian towns and villages.[when?]

The new Uskok stronghold, screened by mountains and forests, was unassailable by cavalry or artillery. However, the fortress was admirably suitable to the lightly armed uskoks who were excellent in guerrilla warfare. The Martolos were employed by the Ottomans to discourage Uskok penetration of Turkish territory, which was not very profitable anyhow. Since the uskoks were checked on land and were rarely paid their annual subsidy, they resorted to acts of piracy. Large galleys could not anchor in the bay of Senj, which is shallow and exposed to sudden gales. So, the uskoks fitted out a fleet of swift boats, which were light enough to navigate the smallest creeks and inlets of the shores of Illyria. Moreover, these boats were helpful in providing the uskoks a temporary landing on shore. With these they were able to attack numerous commercial areas on the Adriatic. The uskoks saw their ranks swell as outlaws from all nations joined them. Eventually, the whole city of Senj lived from piracy. The expeditions were blessed in the local church and the monasteries of the Dominicans and the Franciscans received tithes from the loot. After the War of the Holy League in 1537 against the Ottoman Empire, a truce between Venice and the Ottomans was created in 1539. This led to the evacuation of all Uskoks in Dalmatia in 1541 where they had been defending a Christian enclave in the mountains during the war. Throughout the following years the Habsburgs were at arms with the Turks, giving the Uskoks the opportunity to repeatedly raid Bosnia and Dalmatia. The Uskoks were able to continue doing so up until 1547 when peace was established between the two, forcing the Uskoks to find other ways of making ends meet. As with other Slavic pirates, the Uskok territory was not suitable for any form of agriculture, forcing them to turn to piracy once more.

There are even further information in sources. I believe these pirate stronghold could also be good to add in game to show how Austria tried to stop Venice and Ottomans by supporting pirates. It also expands balkan region which was somewhat requested for update!

PLUS:
This article explains Maltese corsair trade and piracy activity, and Knights, its somewhat good to read about Christian pirates.
It also mentions Spanish Alfonso de Contreras, serving Maltese piracy/privateering.

Barbary corsairs, Simon Danser and John Ward were also mentioned.
“…The two pirates who did most to introduce the square-rigged ship into the corsair fleets of the Western Mediterranean…were John Ward and Simon Danser"