Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
OK... time for a post-battle analysis. I think we learned a LOT in this battle, at very low cost to ourselves and high cost to the hated enemy.

I'll post my own comments a bit later. Meanwhile, feel free to offer your own views on what went wrong, what worked well, what mistakes were made, what design flaws were revealed, and so on.

From the perspective of a scout captain, while superior tactics and heroics indeed saved the day it was an intel failure that made it much more exiting than it should have been.

Question: With the current technology, can we build a proper spy-ship? Something with minimal thermal signature and the best possible PASSIVE scanners, all else optional. Would such a ship be able to spot enemy warships while remaining undetected?

If so, I think it would be a great idea to build such a ship, and I would be very proud to command it, I even have a name to suggest, ESN Mata Hari

... it was an intel failure that made it much more exiting than it should have been.

That's quite an understatement. From the battle-intel point of view, it was one of the biggest screw-ups I've ever seen.

The entire fleet is now safely back in the Sigma Draconis system, has dropped a sensor buoy, and is headed to the planet to refuel.

Let the celebration begin!

Now that we are safely back in our own controlled system... I have a confession to make. Any alert posters who studied the ship designs that I posted will be aware of this already, but since absolutely no-one has mentioned it, I suspect that most of you hadn't realized it:

The six Carriers are each 15,000 tons, and carry no jump drives. Military ships can only make assisted jumps in company with another Military ship of the same tonnage or larger. We only have one 15,000+ ton jump-equipped Military ship, so there is only one ship in the entire Navy that could get the six Carriers in-and-out of the Wolf 294 system. That ship is the ESN Agincourt... the ship that got hulled in our first major action, early in the battle. We fought that whole series of engagements with the Agincourt open to vacuum, just waiting for one more enemy hit that would have doomed both our Heavy Cruiser AND all six Carriers. That enemy hit never landed.

You are free to call me crazy, if you wish. It worked.

I'm told that one thing a commander requires is steady nerves.

Happy to be the tug for the fleet Oh Great Emu.

PS-Im getting a promotion for this right?

Im getting a promotion for this right?

There will be quite a few promotions, and many medals.

Lt-Commander Alice Bryant will be jumped a grade (two promotions instead of one) to Captain, and given our only spare warship, the brand-new Star-II class Destroyer ESN Vega. She will also receive the Order of Paradox.

Indeed, Intel was a major concern as was the lack of FC range. Also I think you need more EM sensors as you couldn't see the enemy missiles until they were nearly on you.

Loved the rock designs. Worked a treat. The fighters done their job admirably (they are attrition units anyway), oh and I think you need to put the boomers on a quicker rig, they are too slow to get into the fight.

Aye.

The Rocks were a major sucess.
The fighters were also very sucessful, but certainly not in the (proper) way we expected. We might need a Peeble class of fighters (or missiles? would those work?) to serve as decoys for our fighter strike force (sort of miniaturized rocks). These fighters certainly pack a lot of punch in a very small size. And obviously, we have the bravest enlisted women (I was going to say men, but we all know who was the star of this battle :D )

Also, we definitely need more speed (and weapon's range) for our ships.

given your current tech level i can say im not disappointed at all with the outcome of the battle. implementing those Rocks was a stroke of genius.

one thing which gave me a slight headache was that missile storm the enemy unleashed.

with better tech, longer missile ranges, ISR, ammunition ships and maybe a dedicated jump ship which can stay safely at the jump points you should have less problems.

have you thought about using gate builders to build a highway to the systems you want to conquer ?

While you won the engagement mostly through luck (you would have been hammered by an enemy that wasn't tactically inept) I am not sure that there is much that could have been done differently, especially considering your tech disadvantage. Most everything has either been said, or is so obvious it is barely worth pointing out.

The most obvious is putting the rocks out further in front so that they are the only target the enemy has for a longer period of time. Next is the mid-level point defense using turreted beams. Not sure where your research is there but you should be able to put something reasonable together with your current research. Ammunition tenders would also be nice. Other than that most all of your problems will only be solved by advancing your techs: ECM and ECCM mostly followed by engine speed, better active senors/fire controls, faster missile reloading times.

Hey, with active sensors on the Prix could see exactly where we were and where we were going anyway, so... :p

Broadcasted radio message, as soon as the last ship jump out:

"Dear Prix. It is customary among my people to sing a song to defeated enemies. We have defeated you. This is the song.

Nah nah nah nah
Nah nah nah nah
Hey-hey
Goodbye"

(repeat. Endlessly.)

The captain and crew of the Procyon prefer "nanny nanny boo boo stick your head in poo poo."

Edit 1: As for battle observations, this captain recommends researching missile size technology. Although we were successful, had we packed more punch per salvo we probably could have rolled out of the system without scraping the bottom of the barrel ammunition-wise.

Edit 2: I can't find the design specs for the Rocks right now so this may be irrelevant but do the Rocks have any missile killing capabilities at all? If they don't, I think we should invest in CIWS research to give them at least a bit more survivability.

Last edited:
The entire fleet is now safely back in the Sigma Draconis system, has dropped a sensor buoy, and is headed to the planet to refuel.

Let the celebration begin!

Now that we are safely back in our own controlled system... I have a confession to make. Any alert posters who studied the ship designs that I posted will be aware of this already, but since absolutely no-one has mentioned it, I suspect that most of you hadn't realized it:

The six Carriers are each 15,000 tons, and carry no jump drives. Military ships can only make assisted jumps in company with another Military ship of the same tonnage or larger. We only have one 15,000+ ton jump-equipped Military ship, so there is only one ship in the entire Navy that could get the six Carriers in-and-out of the Wolf 294 system. That ship is the ESN Agincourt... the ship that got hulled in our first major action, early in the battle. We fought that whole series of engagements with the Agincourt open to vacuum, just waiting for one more enemy hit that would have doomed both our Heavy Cruiser AND all six Carriers. That enemy hit never landed.

You are free to call me crazy, if you wish. It worked.

I'm told that one thing a commander requires is steady nerves.
Congratulations on your great victory! You have made me feel... inadequate, by the way. It's almost 2060 in my game and I still haven't dared to challenge the evil aliens, and here you are kicking their ass before friggin' 2035 :D

Hey, with active sensors on the Prix could see exactly where we were and where we were going anyway, so... :p

Broadcasted radio message, as soon as the last ship jump out:

"Dear Prix. It is customary among my people to sing a song to defeated enemies. We have defeated you. This is the song.

Nah nah nah nah
Nah nah nah nah
Hey-hey
Goodbye"

(repeat. Endlessly.)
Oh, I thought you were going to rickroll them.

1. The Rocks. Invaluable contribution to the battle drawing fire. It seems the AI give each what it estimated to be a sufficient volley, then switched to another target. We need more of them. Propose that we switch from pebbles to gemstones for future name - Diamond, Ruby, Sapphire, are known for two things: their worth, and their hardness. Suitable for ships that are meant to be valuable and though.

Tangent: how much armor layers can we pack on a military ship whose equipment consist exclusively of engines and an active sensor array? I'm thinking it may be valuable to have an AWACS (one AWACS per operation) we can deploy with the Rocks to feed combat information to the battlefleet (with the battlefleet operating in stealth mode further back). And of course if it helps the enemies spot the Rocks...well, that's what we *want*.

2. Fighters. Well, from a certain point of view, they DID perform as advertised: they certainly overwhelmed the enemy's point defense.

I don't think trying to layer them with armor would do much good. Better to make them expendable - can we build smaller fighters with fewer missiles that can fit in larger numbers in our carriers? Minimal life support, minimal maintenance capacity, just one pilot, one missile launcher, and one engine. How much of these could we fit in one of our carriers? (Possibly keep the heavier fighters around for when we go up against less advanced enemies?)

3. Battle-class. Though, though, though ship. Took the brunt of enemy fire for a long time and lived to tell the tale. We could use more of these, especially when we go after Khan-001.

4. Intel. We need it, desperately. This should be our #1 priority - it's been shown that we CAN take the Prix with luck, courage and strategy, but developing our ability to know what we're up against - and refuse combat if we don't like the odds - should be the absolute priority. (The tangent to #1, combined with the idea of keeping the main fleet further away from the decoy group, may be of some small help here)

Last edited:
Might it be prudent to arrange a stockpile of missiles at our outpost in the Nexus, instead of always sending the fleet all the way out to Earth to restock? Could make a useful pitstop for any future missions. Or is there generally a need for a full refit at the dockyards at Earth anyway?

We certainly need more intel-gathering methods. Expendable scout ships (or unmanned drones) that can perform at least a few sensor sweeps before interception by the enemy. Something high-speed, preferably with PD, low armor, and as many sensors as there's still room for - we can't count on stealth, so they need to get in fast, grab a quick picture, and then get out of dodge. Once you have some idea of the enemy disposition, further recon can proceed in force.

I would say the Rocks are worth doubling in the fleet - they've proven invaluable, and more decoy targets would be even better, maybe adding some form of PD to aid their longevity against missile fire. Or maybe group them with a PD-heavy defence craft with less armor, trailing slightly behind in support.

If we should ever have to engage a 1500+ AMM craft in the future, maybe we should have our own offensive 1500+ size-1 missile cruiser to blanket fire them in the first salvo to use up their AMM stores, before launching our actual ASM strikes. We can't always count on them spending their AMM on the Rocks and our fighters.

Also, I think it would be wise to build another jump-capable craft to double up with the Agincourt, and that any craft that performs fleet jump operations should have heavier armor and maybe less firepower - above all others, they are the ships that must survive or all others are stranded, as we nearly found out...

Last edited:
There is indeed something to be said for borrowing the idea of a Khan-class of our own...perhaps call it the Emperor-class and name the ships after famous rulers.

Congrats to all and to even more so to our glorious Avian of blue colour. We did great.

As for lessons: Intel is given, some kind of scout might be prudent. Also fighters! A type of smaller, faster, cheaper and more expendable fighter craft might be prudent to work as damage-soaker. Saved our fleet once, might save it again.