• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Very fine start, you seemingly have put much work into this in preparation alone.
Dont despair if replies are sometimes fewer than you wish for. Just keep at it anyway, remember, most redaars are lazy chaps ;)
Wish you the best luck with this one.

Episode VI – The die is cast

Bendlerstrasse.jpg

January 14th, 1936
Bendlerstrasse, Berlin
Army High Command (OKH) Headquarters
7.15 a.m. central European time (H-Hour)

Werner von Fritsch sipped at his coffee as he looked nervously at the map on the wall. All around him in the Operations Room people were running back and forth with dispatches or talking in telephones or radio sets. Three hours before he had given the code word meaning that Operation Winter Exercise would begin half an hour before dawn.

Ludwig Beck walked up to him and looked at the map. Neither of them had gotten much sleep the last few days. Nevertheless he was immaculately dressed in his freshly pressed general’s uniform and polished riding boots – a walking epitome of Prussian military tradition and honour.

‘Now all that is left to do is waiting’, he said.

‘I know’, von Fritsch replied. ‘We have done all we can. How long do you think before the French and the British react?’

‘It depends. If the Führer is right and most of their government officials and army officers are away for the weekend, we might not get a response before some time tomorrow. The Abwehr, however, believes that the reaction will come much sooner’.

That drew a displeased grunt from the Chief of the Army. ‘Is the Führer…?’

‘He is at the Chancellery with von Blomberg, eagerly awaiting news of our advance’, Beck grimaced.

Our advance. You’d almost think this is just a game to him!’

‘Lower your voice Wener’, Beck cautioned. ‘Just remember the plan and be ready to act’.

‘Don’t worry. I’ll be ready. Are all the assets in place?’

‘They are’.

Meanwhile…

Reichshof, 50 kilometres east of the Rhine
H-hour

Ulrich Wetzelberge and the rest of the men of 1st Company, 2nd Regiment of the 2. Panzer-Division, were firing up the engines of their LKA panzers. All around them men from two regiments of regular infantry were jumping onto their trucks and at the end of the column some elements of horse-drawn artillery and anti-aircraft guns were preparing to get underway.

Military policemen lined the road to direct the traffic down the highway towards the city of Köln and as the sky slowly started to turn grey in the east behind them, they started moving.

Feedback time

Amona - Thanks for visiting and for the encouragement. It is true that I have prepared for quite some time for this AAR. I like to be as acurate in the details as possible - until I completely deviate from history - as it hopefully makes for a better and more believable story. I am glad you like it.

Hardraade - Glad you stopped by - it means my sig is working :p And I am glad you like the story so far, even though it has not really evolved much yet.

Jonijs - Thank you very much! You are very kind. Always nice to meet a new readAAR. Welcome aboard, I hope you will enjoy the ride.

I am sorry you have had to wait for this new update but it has been a busy week. I hope to update again in the next few days - perhaps with some shorter quick-paced passages now that the action has finally begun. :)

Stay tuned and thanks a lot for reading!

:) Jesper

Hardraade said:
Interesting bit of dissension in the High Command. I assume the troops are heading for the Rhineland?

Yeah, well I guess the cat is out of the bag now. I apologize if some of you were looking forward to an invasion of Switzerland :p

Next update in a couple of minutes.

Episode VII – Remilitarization

RemilitaryinRhineland2.jpg

January 14th, 1936
Köln
H-Hour plus three

It was not like any of them had expected it would be. They had approached the city of Köln with caution – a scouting party consisting of a handful of armoured cars well in advance of the main column. When they had asked Hauptmann Faerber what the orders were in case of hostile fire, he had answered that orders would be given “according to the situation” – an answer that had raised a few eyebrows in the platoon. And so they had advanced into the city. And nothing had happened.

The scouts brought back city officials with them, who reported that the few British and French officials in the city had quickly left for the border and crowds of locals were gathering in hundreds, even thousands, to welcome the troops as liberators.

As Ulrich Wetzelberge and the rest of 3rd Platoon rolled their tanks across the bridge into the demilitarised Rhineland zone, the people came out to meet them. They were standing in the wayside, arms raised in salute, waving their hands, shouting hurrah and the young girls and women were kissing the soldiers as they passed by.

GermanTroops_Rhineland.jpg

They stayed in Köln only for a few hours, just long enough for the people from the Reichsministerium für Volksaufklärung und Propaganda – the Reich Ministry for Public Enlightenment and Propaganda – to shoot a newsreel and some photos for next day’s news. After that they continued as ordered towards Bonn, Koblenz and eventually Trier as quick as they could.

All along the Rhine, German troops of the XII Armeekorps under Generalleutnant Walther von Reichenau were advancing through towns and countryside, ordered to set up defensive positions in the remilitarized zone as soon as possible.

ScreenSave16.jpg

Commander-DK said:
Yeah, well I guess the cat is out of the bag now.

Sorry about that. From here on I'll kepp my guesses under wraps. Good to see Germany spitting in the eye of the Allies. :)

Episode VIII – Guesswork

Paris-Hotel-Matignon-1-2.jpg

January 14th, 1936
Hôtel Matignon, Paris
H-Hour plus four

Prime Minister Albert Sarraut was entertaining guests at his residence in Hôtel Matignon when it knocked hard on the door to the sitting room. In stepped his personal secretary, Félix Briel.

‘Excuse me Prime Minister’, he said, ‘but Foreign Minister Flandin and General Gamelin are here to see you. They said it was urgent’.

Sarraut sighed and looked apologetically at his brother and sister-in-law. ‘Please excuse me’, he said as he followed Félix into the study overlooking the magnificent garden behind the mansion. Foreign Minister Pierre-Étiene Flandin and General Maurice Gustave Gamelin – Chief of the General Staff as well as the Army – were waiting for him with grave faces.

‘Pardon our intrusion on a Saturday Prime Minister’, Flandin said, ‘but we have urgent news that needed to be brought to your attention. It would appear that Germany is moving armed forced into the demilitarized Rhineland zone’.

Sarraut sat down behind his desk and motioned to his two guests to take a seat as well. For a few seconds he seemed to contemplate what he had just heard. Then he looked at Gamelin and asked ‘how large a force?’

‘Reports are varying and the situation is still confused. From what we can gather, the Germans started moving elements of the XII Armeekorps into the zone this morning, reaching the Rhine and crossing it a few hours ago. At the moment as many as three divisions could be moving in to take up positions in the zone. I have placed a telephone call to General de Lattre ordering our troops at the border to a state of alert’.

‘Is there a danger to the Republic?’

‘Not immediately Prime Minister’, the General answered. ‘The Maginot Line guarantees our safety. But a German occupation of the Rhineland prevents us from seizing the Ruhr industries if Germany ever again becomes a threat. In effect, unless the Germans are forced out of the Rhineland again, we loose the advantage and the security that the Treaty of Versailles is supposed to give us’.

‘Prime Minister’, Flandin interrupted, ‘I would like to fly to London immediately to consult with the British government. The powers of the Locarno Treaties must be made to realize that this is an aggressive move by Germany requiring a forceful response’.

‘It is also a violation of the Treaty of Versailles and therefore a matter for the League of Nations’, Sarraut said quietly. ‘Do you really think that Mussolini will condemn Hitler’s actions?’

‘Regardless’, Gamelin said, ‘the Army will need the government’s consent if we are to begin a full mobilization’.

‘No mobilization yet’, Sarraut said. ‘Start planning for eventualities – including armed intervention in Germany – but until we know what the hell is going on I am not going to alarm the French people. Pierre, I want hourly updates from the Foreign Office on this. Go to London and find out what the British position is’.

The Foreign Minister nodded and all three of them stood up. After Flandin and Gamelin had left the office, Sarraut stood for a long time in silence watching the snow-covered park.

Feedback time

Jonijs: Well, the situation is a bit tricky at the moment. While Germany is definetly out to restore herself to former glory, the bastard French and imperialistic British could probably wipe the floor with me at the moment. :p Will that happen? Stay tuned.

Warpimp: Thank you. I am glad you like it Welcome aboard!

Hardraade: No no, I meant that the cat was out of the bag when I wrote that Wetzelberge and the rest of 3rd Platoon were rumbling on towards Köln ;) . Please share guesses and other thoughts with me and the readAARs!

Thanks to all who have stopped by.

Next update will hopefully follow later tonight as Flandin goes to see the Brits.

Another good update. How will the Allies respond? I've never seen them go to war over the Rhineland before so that would be interesting, but I hope they don't for your sake as Germany might not be ready for such a thing. Keep up the fine work!

Episode IX – Options

January 14th, 1936
Cabinet Office, Whitehall, London
H-Hour plus nine

‘Gentlemen. Please take a seat’.

The arrival of the French foreign minister in London caused quite a bit of commotion. He had immediately requested a meeting with Prime Minister Baldwin and a cabinet meeting had been scheduled for later in the afternoon with the leaders of the Imperial General Staff and representatives of the intelligence services attending. Diplomats at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office frantically tried to gather as much information from their contacts abroad as they could.

At approximately 3.20 p.m. Prime Minister Stanley Baldwin arrived at Whitehall and the cabinet meeting began. On his right side sat Foreign Secretary Anthony Eden and on his left Lord Halifax, the Secretary of State for War. The others present at the meeting were the Chancellor of the Exchequer, Neville Chamberlain, First Sea Lord Admiral Ernle Chatfield, Bolton Eyres-Monsell, First Lord of the Admiralty, Secretary of State for Air Philip Cunliffe-Lister, the gruff Chief of the Imperial General Staff Field Marshal Archibald Montgomery-Massingberd and last but not least Sir Hugh Sinclair, head of MI6.

‘I trust that you have all been briefed on the immediate situation concerning Foreign Minister Flandin’s visit. I have just had a meeting with him in which he made it quite clear that France has not yet decided on a course of action but are leaning towards armed intervention and seeking our support in the matter. I would therefore like to begin with an update from Secretary Eden and Lord Sinclair about what we know so far’, Baldwin said and nodded to Anthony Eden to proceed.

‘Thank you Prime Minister’, Eden began. ‘The sources of the Foreign Office in Berlin have reported no news about any operations by the German military. However, reports from Belgium indicate that the German army has indeed moved in to reoccupy the demilitarized zone on both sides of the Rhine. Our officials monitoring the zone have pulled out and are now in Verviers. They have been told to report to our embassy in Brussels for a complete debriefing. We have heard nothing specific yet, but we expect to know more later tonight or tomorrow morning’.

‘Thank you’, Baldwin replied. ‘Lord Sinclair, why didn’t we see this coming?’

‘Well Prime Minister’, Sir Hugh began as he put down his pipe, ‘the demilitarized zone is not very large – approximately the size of Norwich – and reoccupying it would not require more than a handful of battalions. A couple of divisions at most. If the German high command were to keep the operation under wraps, the movement of such a relatively small force could escape our notice’.

‘I see’, the Prime Minister grunted. ‘Lord Chancellor, please present us with your views on this situation. What effect will this move have on the German and our own economy?’

‘Prime Minister’, Chamberlain began, ‘the situation does not alter anything in the balance of our economies. As I am sure you all know we withdrew our occupying forces from the Rhineland in 1931 and France followed suit a year later. Since then Germany has had full control of the industry in the area and, may I add, been able to increase their payments of war reparations, allowing us to lower taxes and improve the standard of living here at home’.

‘We lower taxes while Hitler builds tanks and riffles’, Sir Hugh grunted.

Ignoring the bitter remark, Prime Minister Baldwin turned once again to Anthony Eden. ‘Mr. Foreign Secretary, what are the diplomatic repercussions if Hitler is allowed to occupy the demilitarized zone?’

‘Well, Hitler and his government stand to gain in popularity for challenging the treaty powers of Locarno and violating the Treaty of Versailles. On the other hand, allowing the reoccupation to proceed could be seen as a just and generous move on our part and a step towards bettering diplomatic relations with Germany and ensuring the future peace of the continent. The Locarno Treaty Powers are divided with Italy at war in Africa and Belgium sitting on the fence. The French are likely to protest to the League of Nations, who is the only political body that can legally rule in a dispute of this nature. But Germany withdrew from the League in 1933 and so does not necessarily accept its ruling. And since the League has no armed forces, France is likely to offer their armies to enforce the will of the League – should it rule against Germany’.

‘Mr. Flandin has presented me with a proposal along those lines’, Baldwin nodded.

‘I expected that, Prime Minister. The French government has an election coming up in a few months and starting a new war with Germany is not likely to win them any support. They need allies to ensure victory and not another bloodbath like 1914-1918’.

‘Lord Halifax, what are our military options?’ Baldwin asked.

‘Not encouraging I am afraid’, Lord Halifax responded and began shuffling through a number of pages in front of him. ‘Although we began mechanising our cavalry regiments back in 1929, cuts in spending and budgets throughout the armed forces have slowed the process. We currently have just six regiments of motorised cavalry and one light armoured division. The Territorial Army numbers just eleven divisions – most of them poorly equipped and without proper training’.

The last remark resulted in a loud cough from Field Marshal Montgomery-Massingberd at the end of the table, who was visibly angry when the eyes of the others turned to him.

‘Do you wish to add something Field Marshal?’ Baldwin inquired.

‘Thank you Prime Minister’. The field Marshal cleared his throat and with a sullen look at the War Secretary continued. ‘Lord Halifax is correct that the mechanisation of our cavalry is taking longer to complete than first projected because funds have continually been relocated to the Royal Navy and the Royal Air Force, but the Territorial Army is both well trained and highly motivated. We have kicked the Hun before and we can do it again! If we mobilise today, I can have an expeditionary force of six to eight divisions ready in France in five weeks.’

‘WHAT? And leave half the Home Isles undefended, open to invasion? That is madness!’ Chamberlain objected.

‘No invasion force will set foot on British soil. The Royal Navy is still the largest fleet in the world and able to shield us from any invasion, as I am sure Lord Eyres-Monsell and Admiral Chatfield agrees with me’, the field marshal replied flatly.

‘Of course’, Chatfield replied cautiously, ‘though I must caution the cabinet that with a number of our aircraft carriers and battleships undergoing long-term maintenance, to be able to protect the British isles would mean cannibalising the Mediterranean Fleet, increasing the vulnerability of Gibraltar, Malta and the Suez to Italian aggression’.

Baldwin now turned to Sir Hugh again. ‘And what is MI6’s analysis of the current political situation?’

‘MI6 views this move as a test of the resolve of the Locarno Powers’, Sir Hugh said. ‘The fact that Reich chancellor Hitler has not yet appeared on German radio proudly announcing the occupation tells us that they are awaiting our response. In my opinion, if we condemn the violation of the Treaty of Versailles and make a show of force with France, Hitler will back down. He must. In the end it might not even be necessary with armed intervention’.

‘And you are willing to bet the future of our Empire, to risk war and the ruin of our economy on this analysis of yours?’ Chamberlain asked acidly.

‘The Chancellor is right’, Anthony Eden said. ‘We have been trying to improve relations with Germany for years. Through treaties, negotiations and skilled diplomacy by the Foreign Office we have ensured Germany’s participation in the work for peace in Europe. I believe that we have a genuine possibility of getting Germany to join the League of Nations once more, if we are prepared to accept that Germany is entitled to a greater degree of autonomy than that set forth in the Treaty of Versailles. We can’t throw years’ work away now just to soothe the hurt pride of France. Diplomacy must be allowed to run its course’.

Stanley Baldwin sighed and rubbed his forehead before speaking. ‘Gentlemen. I have another meeting with Foreign Minister Flandin tonight before he flies back to Paris. I am going to inform him that His Majesty’s government will support bringing this matter before the League of Nations and – if the Council deems it necessary to enforce the treaty obligations of Germany – place British armed forces at the League’s disposal. I will not abandon France. And I will not tolerate Germany’s violation of the Treaty of Versailles and continued threat to peace in Europe’.

StanleyBaldwin.jpg

Stanley Baldwin, British Prime Minister - a man of principle

Last edited:
Things look slightly worse for Germany than IRL but we'll see....

Read it all now, very well written. However, I'd like VERY much to see the allies acting in 1936 or at least (to make the balance more even) to secure Czechoslovakia's independence in 1938. It would also fit the your small-scale writing style. Anyway, keep it up ;)