• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

JiRi94

Recruit
Nov 21, 2021
1637530719904.png

I have been replaying Victoria 2 in preparation of Vicky 3 coming out in the (hopefully not) distant future. I have also been wanted to write an AAR about a Paradox game for a while and decided that my first proper playthrough og Vicky 2 in 7 years would be a great place to start. That means that things might not go very well for me within the game so be prepared for that :p. My aim is to write this like a narrative AAR in the same vein as a history book. I will try and play till the 1936 end date. I am playing with the New Nations Mod.

Chapters
Prologue - A History Lesson

Prologue
Prologue - A History Lesson

20211121145348_1.jpg

The Two Sicilies in 1836

The history of the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies begins during the chaos of the Napoleonic Wars. The region which the Two Sicilies contained in 1836 was under the rule of the Kingdom of Naples, a kingdom that itself could trace its lineage to the Norman Kingdom of Sicily that had been under the rule of the infamous Hauteville family. Originally fought over by the Spanish, French, and Austrians, the Kingdom of Naples once again became independent in 1759 when King Charles III of Spain left the Kingdoms of Naples and Sicily to one of his sons, who was crowned Ferdinand IV. For forty years the twin crowns of Naples and Sicily were ruled by the Bourbon family, who by this point controlled the thrones of Spain and France as well. Of all the houses of Europe, the Bourbons were the most decadent. The courts of France and Spain were infamous for their wanton debauchery, which was only matched by their disdain for the common people. It seemed as if the Bourbon dominance of Western Europe would never end.

1637531027021.png

King Ferdinand IV and III of Naples and Sicily

This would change with the coming of the French Revolution in 1789, when the French Bourbons were overthrown and the fires of revolution spread across Europe. The execution of King Louis XVI of France had shocked the noble classes of Europe and had struck terror in the heart of Ferdinand IV, whose kingdom was quickly becoming a primary target for the revolutionary armies. In 1799 the French marched into Naples, having already subdued the rest of the Italian Peninsula. The King, his family, and his closest advisors had already fled when the French reached the city of Naples and proclaimed the Parthenopean Republic. The Republic would not last long, for a counter-revolution quickly emerged, led by the fiercely anti-republican Cardinal Fabrizio Ruffo, who marched on Naples and drove out the French.

1637531129829.png

Flag of the short lived Parthenopean Republic

After his swift restoration, King Ferdinand IV quickly aligned with the Austrians, who were now facing an opponent that was even fiercer than the Jacobin armies of the 1790s. In 1804 Napoleon Bonaparte was crowned Emperor of the French and vowed to bring France to greatness, spread the revolution, and ensure that the Bourbons would never rule France again. War would quickly break out in what was called the War of the Third Coalition, a coalition which Naples joined, a decision that would doom it to ten years of French rule. After Napoleon’s crushing victory at Austerlitz in 1805, the French swarmed over Italy once again, in the process subjectigating Rome, Tuscany, and Naples. The Neapolitan army attempted to hold the French off but was crushed at the Battle of Campo Tenese. Much like the event six years before, Ferdinand and his family fled to Sicily, which by this time was under the protection of the British Royal Navy.

Unlike in 1799, there would be no quick return for the Bourbons. Quickly the Neapolitan elite realised that the French that had arrived in 1805 were not the same as those who had proclaimed the Parthenopean Republic six years earlier. Gone were the Jacobin revolutionaries, now the French were willing to let the local elites remain as long as they conformed to the new regime. In this case, all they had to accept was that their new liege lord was now a Bonaparte, specifically Joseph Bonaparte, who was named king by his brother, Napoleon. The Napoleonic Kingdom of Naples would undergo rapid reforms as it began to match the new order that Napoleon was establishing across Europe. In 1806 feudalism was abolished, church land was seized and sold off to fund the establishment of schools and modern road systems, the new Neapolitan Army was equipped with the best French equipment, and tax farming was outlawed. For the average Neapolitan on the ground, the new liberalising regime was seemingly more benevolent than the despot Bourbons.

1637531195477.png

King Joseph I of Naples of the House of Bonaparte

In 1808 Joseph Bonaparte was named King of Spain after the Spanish Bourbons were overthrown by the French in what had been a gross betrayal of their alliance. As Spain collapsed into a gruelling six-year war, Naples greeted a new French king. This new king was Joachim Murat, the famed Marshal of the French Empire who had fought by Napoleon’s side for over ten years. Famous for his dashing escapades as a cavalry commander, the dandy lifestyle of Murat was a keen reminder to the decadence of the Bourbons. He and thousands of Neapolitan troops joined Napoleon on his march on Moscow in 1812, only for the French Grande Armee to be annihilated by the Russian winter. In the following spring, Napoleon would fight in a doomed campaign that would climax at the Battle of Leipzig, which would force the French to retreat behind the Rhine River. Disillusioned by Napoleon’s refusal to accept terms with the Coalition, Joachim Murat returned to Naples and began secret negotiations with Austria to switch sides. In 1814 Murat finally switched sides and helped the Austrians to defeat the French in Italy and bring an end to the French Empire.

1637531268741.png

King Joachim I of Naples of the House of Murat

Despite siding with the Coalition, Murat still feared for his future prospects as King of Naples. Part of the agreement with the Coalition was that he accepted that Ferdinand IV would retain the crown of Sicily, which was still protected by the Royal Navy and garrisoned by Austrian troops. Moreover, Murat feared that Austria planned to turn on him and depose him in favour of the Bourbons, who had now been restored to both the Spanish and the French thrones. Secretly Murat began to plan a preemptive strike against the Austrians, whom he believed would crumple under such a sudden strike. Murat would be given a sudden and unexpected boon in the form of his old benefactor, Napoleon, who returned to France and overthrew the restored Bourbon regime. Within a week of Napoleon’s return, Murat announced what would be called the Rimini Proclamation, which called on the Italian people to overthrow the Austrians. Murat’s campaign would quickly fail when he was defeated at the Battle of Tolentino, leading to his generals signing a peace with Austria. One of the demands of the peace treaty was the deposition of Murat and the restoration of Ferdinand IV to the throne of Naples. Unable to reject these demands, the Neapolitans welcomed back the Bourbons after ten years of French rule, a return that was not loved by all. Any threat of a Murat restoration would be quickly snuffed out when he was captured in a botched recreation of Napoleon’s return to France. In October of 1815, Joachim Murat was executed by Neapolitan soldiers, bringing a decisive end to the Napoleonic era of Naples.

1637531360453.png

Joachim Murat's Execution in 1815

The Naples Ferdinand had returned to was not the same as that he had left in 1805. The power of the middle class was far stronger than before, the clergy had been effectively neutered, and the feudal system of governance was erased. It became quickly apparent that there was no way that things could not go back to the way things had been before, the people were too accustomed to the Napoleonic way of doing things. The civil reforms of Joseph and Murat were kept, though liberal groups were actively suppressed, and any attempts at large-scale dissidence were crushed. In 1816 the crowns of Naples and Sicily would be combined into the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies, which also combined the constitutions of the two Kingdoms, making it far easier for Ferdinand to control. Crowned Ferdinand I, his rule would be marked by political instability brought on by attempts to impose noble supremacy upon a nation that had lived under a decade of liberal monarchs. In 1820 the Carbonari, a group of liberal revolutionaries, attempted to overthrow the monarchy. Though thwarted, Ferdinand decided to craft a new constitution that would placate the angry liberal mobs that had begun to grow within the kingdom. In response to growing instability across Italy, the Austrians marched 50,000 soldiers into the Two Sicilies in an attempt to break the growing liberalism within the country. Fearing Austrian reprisals, Ferdinand suspended the constitution, which caused the Neapolitan Army to rebel and join the Carbonari. The Austrian Army quickly crushed this uprising and began rooting out liberal agitators, ostensibly in the name of Ferdinand I.

Thus began years of political repression as the Austrian, and then reformed Neapolitan Army began running battles across Southern Italy against bands of brigands, liberal gangs, and Italian pan-nationalist militias. In 1825 King Ferdinand I died and was succeeded by his son, Francis I. Already in his late forties, Francis had little patience for the busy work of his office and instead left his favourite advisors to run the country. In 1830 Francis was visiting Paris when the July Revolution took place. The French Bourbons would be overthrown for the last time, and instead be replaced with a cadet branch named the Orleanists. The new king was named Louis-Phillippe I, and to the horror of Francis and his Spanish brethren, he was a liberal. Francis’ health quickly deteriorated when he returned to Naples and he died soon after.

1637531398324.png

King Francis I of the Two Sicilies

His successor, Ferdinand II, inherited a kingdom in crisis. The countryside was a haven of brigands and renegades, whilst the cities played host to thousands of secret liberal revolutionaries. One of his first acts was to declare an amnesty to all political adversaries, in the hopes of stabilizing the nation. Time would tell one whether such a course would be successful...

1637531462257.png

King Ferdinand II of the Two Sicilies

Attachments

• 1637531398845.png
    1637531398845.png
    1,5 MB · Views: 0
  • 1Like
Reactions:
This is a really good beginning so far! I've learned a lot about Two Sicilies already, and I'll be curious to see what the next update looks like.

I have also been wanted to write an AAR about a Paradox game for a while and decided that my first proper playthrough og Vicky 2 in 7 years would be a great place to start.
I agree that's a good place! I just recently started writing AARs despite playing Paradox games for at least 9 years, and it's really added a whole new layer to the games.

That means that things might not go very well for me within the game so be prepared for that :p.
That's just fine! I enjoy a game with some struggle in it. I've always thought Two Sicilies is one of the harder Italian starts, at least if you want to unify the entire peninsula. Sardinia-Piedmont has France to protect them, and the rebels seem to always give them the crown when they win. A divided Italy could be quite interesting, especially since OTL Italy was culturally split between the agrarian, conservative south and industrial, liberal north.

• 2Like
Reactions:
This is a really good beginning so far! I've learned a lot about Two Sicilies already, and I'll be curious to see what the next update looks like.

I agree that's a good place! I just recently started writing AARs despite playing Paradox games for at least 9 years, and it's really added a whole new layer to the games.

That's just fine! I enjoy a game with some struggle in it. I've always thought Two Sicilies is one of the harder Italian starts, at least if you want to unify the entire peninsula. Sardinia-Piedmont has France to protect them, and the rebels seem to always give them the crown when they win. A divided Italy could be quite interesting, especially since OTL Italy was culturally split between the agrarian, conservative south and industrial, liberal north.

One of the reasons I chose the Two Sicilies is because I remembered that united Italy under Sardinia is ridiculously easy. I have no idea if I have chance of unification as Sicily, but I shall try!

Thank you for the feedback and advice btw!

• 1Like
Reactions:
One of the reasons I chose the Two Sicilies is because I remembered that united Italy under Sardinia is ridiculously easy.
I think it is pretty easy, although it's very RNG dependent. Two Sicilies should be a very good challenge.

I have no idea if I have chance of unification as Sicily, but I shall try!
I don't know either, so I'll enjoy seeing how this works too!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Glad to see new faces in the Vicky forum. Welcome to AARland and to AAR-writing, @JiRi94! :D

I'll follow along here as best I can. Intrigued to see a Southern-dominated, or even partitioned Italy, as others have said.

• 2Like
Reactions:
This is a fun idea, and I'm looking forward to see where it goes.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter 1
Chapter I - The State of Europe

20211121145348_1.jpg

The situation Sicily found itself in at the beginning of 1836 was a Europe that for the past twenty years had maintained a precarious peace. The Napoleonic Wars were a distant memory and the destruction it caused was now almost unnoticeable, save the vast graveyards of soldiers that littered France, Prussia, Austria, and Russia. After the war, France had fallen back into the hands of the Bourbons, though as it would turn out, only briefly. In 1830 another revolution swept across France, though this time it managed to hold itself from the wanton bloodshed of 1789. The King of France, Charles X, was deposed and replaced by his more liberal cousin, Louis-Phillipe of the House of Orleans. This turn of events was an example that King Ferdinand II of The Two Sicilies wanted to avoid at all costs, whether by political means or by force. He wasn’t alone in this line of thought either, for much of the aristocracy of Sicily and Naples feared the power of more liberal middle classes, whose wealth was beginning to match their own.

1639242888186.png

The July Revolution of 1830 in France

The Austrians had reestablished their control of Northern Italy and Southern Germany and had come out of the war as one of the key power players of Europe. Though ruled over by Emperor Ferdinand I, the Austrian Empire was in truth led by the ingenious Chancellor Klemens von Metternich. Under Metternich, Austria was able to hold off the increasingly hungry Russians, the ambitious Prussians, and countless nationalist groups across the empire. Despite these successes, the Austrians were seen by some at the time as an overstretched empire ripe for rebellion and revolution. The Kingdom of the Two Sicilies had a complex relationship with the Austrians. On the one hand, they had been saved from French tyranny by the Austrians, on the other, they established their tyranny and had occupied the Kingdom for two years while they rooted out ‘traitors’. The question on everybody's lips was what will happen when Metternich is gone?

1639242965346.png

Klemens von Metternich, Chancellor of Austria

Prussia had risen in the mid to late 18th century as a major power in Europe, with the military reforms of King Fredrick the Great serving as an example to other European militaries. This prestige would be destroyed when Napoleon crushed the Prussians at the Battle of Jena-Auerstedt. This shock forced the Prussians to adapt, and by 1813 they were able to take on Napoleon once more. Following the Coalition’s victory, the Prussians would emerge as one of the main powers of Europe, and one of the co-custodians of the German peoples, alongside Austria. As the 19th century progressed Prussia rose to become one of the rising industrial powers of Europe, with its industrial output massively outpacing Austria and Russia. This economic dominance, coupled with Prussia’s military prowess and booming population has led some to believe that it will be Prussia, not Austria, that will lead the Germans into the future.

1639243176676.png

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland in 1836 was basking in a golden age the likes of which no other nation had seen before. Despite the heavy loss of the Thirteen Colonies, the British Empire continued to grow during and after the Napoleonic Wars, with the inclusion of vast swaths of India, as well as the former Dutch colonies of South Africa. No nation could compete with the British on the seas, and neither could they economically as well. However, this dominance did not apply to mainland Europe, which while susceptible to British influence, was not at the mercy of the British fleet. The armies of France, Prussia, Austria, and Russia were more than a match for the small British Army, as elite as it was. It seemed, for now, that Britain's fortunes lay outside Europe.

1639243456738.png

Of all of the Coalition allies during the Napoleonic Wars, none lost as many men, nor gained so much prestige as Russia. Previously a bit player on the European scene, the early 19th Century proved to the world that Russia was a major power to be reckoned with. Having played a primary role in Napoleon’s defeat, the Russians capitalized on their victory by becoming overlords of all of Poland, Galicia, and Finland, as well as spreading their influence across Europe. This increase in prestige did not hide the fact that internally Russia faced a multitude of problems. These ranged from Russia's complete lack of industry, disparate and varying cultures that despised Russia’s authority, complete reliance on agriculture, and the lack of education in most of the country. If Russia was to become a world power, it would need to contend with these problems or perhaps be forced to by its own people.

The State of the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies

While the King held most of the power, to maintain good relations with the nobility, he was advised by an aristocratic council made up of the most powerful nobles in the land. It was in this council that the two men who ran the day to day affairs of the kingdom often debated on future policy. The first of those men was the President of the Council, Prince Gennaro Spinelli of Cariati. As president, Spinelli was effectively the prime minister of the Two Sicilies and was often the one who would formulate policies and laws with Ferdinand II. While not a close friend of the king, Spinelli was seen as an elder statesman who could be counted on to do the King’s bidding and maintain control of the other traditionalist nobles. His counterpart was the effective head of the Sicilian military, Prince Carlo Filangieri of Satriano. Having started his career in the Bonapartist Regime’s Army of Naples, Filangieri had retained his rank as general when he submitted to the restored Bourbons in 1815 and was quickly placed in charge of the disorganized army that was once Joachim Murat’s pride and joy. A forward thinker compared to his colleagues in the Sicilian military, Filangieri would spend the 1820s trying to reform the army and bring it up to speed with the other militaries of Europe, who were beginning to leave the Sicilians behind. His efforts would be hindered by a significant roadblock, the Carbonari, who despite the purges of 1820, had survived very much intact.

1639243351232.png

Prince Carlo Filangieri of Satriano

Adding onto the rising tide of liberalism, the fears of foreign influence, and the struggling economy was one of the main ideas of the day, Italian Pan-Nationalism. Dreams of a united Italy began to gain traction during the French Revolution when idealistic revolutionaries attempted to overthrow the decadent monarchies that had ruled for hundreds of years. Napoleon would establish his own Kingdom of Italy, though many would see it as little more than a puppet state for France. In the years following the Napoleonic Wars, Italian Reunification became more and more ingrained across Italian society, all of whom dreamed of an Italian nation-state.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Glad to see new faces in the Vicky forum. Welcome to AARland and to AAR-writing, @JiRi94! :D

I'll follow along here as best I can. Intrigued to see a Southern-dominated, or even partitioned Italy, as others have said.

Thank you for the warm welcome! I'm hoping I survive long enough to be unite Italy :D

This is a fun idea, and I'm looking forward to see where it goes.
Thank you!

• 1Like
Reactions:
An interesting outline of the situation in Europe, and I certainly agree that Two Sicilies is in an awkward position. I think they start out strongest, but they're also more backwards than Sardinia-Piedmont. I'll be curious to see how Ferdinand balances modernization against his absolute authority.

And don't worry about the posting schedule, people are very understanding around here!

• 1Like
Reactions:
An interesting outline of the situation in Europe, and I certainly agree that Two Sicilies is in an awkward position. I think they start out strongest, but they're also more backwards than Sardinia-Piedmont. I'll be curious to see how Ferdinand balances modernization against his absolute authority.

And don't worry about the posting schedule, people are very understanding around here!

One of things I didn't appreciate until I started playing was the sheer amount of soldier you get compared to other Italian States. I was then shocked by the sheer lack of factories xD

• 1Like
Reactions:
One of things I didn't appreciate until I started playing was the sheer amount of soldier you get compared to other Italian States.
The downside is, all the other Italians are in France or Austria's spheres, and you're all alone...

I was then shocked by the sheer lack of factories xD
I can imagine, and that problem continued all the way into OTL '40s and '50s, where the north was heavily industrialized and the south was not. I'll be curious to see how you do getting industry started. That seems like the hardest part of the game, for me anyways.

A very late reply, but happy start! Here's hoping that the Two Sicilies can rise just as Prussia did before.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Greetings, it is a happy day indeed to see a new face and AAR on the Victoria forums. Welcome, and I shall be following your career AAR with great interest.

• 1Like
Reactions: