• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You took the post up to Constantine's death, which was where it had a natural break. You set the scene - Byzantines do not know that the Seljuks are mobilising and Duke Robert wanted an alliance. Having Normans dying for you is better than dying on their spears.

The succession may prove more time consuming than expected. that may be a blessing in disguise, since a quick resolution of one crisis almost invariably lead to plotting for the next succession.

Post length looks good to me. Going shorter would make some very brief updates, but there is plenty of room for more length if it is ever required.

Well at least that incompetent boob Constantine Dukas is dead; but unfortunately 9 times out of 10 his son Micheal Dukas (who is even worse) inherits the Imperial Throne...

Chapter II

Chapter II: Michael Dukas and the Struggle for the Throne

The scramble for succession began immediately once the news of Constantine’s illness got out. At the advanced age of sixty-six no one expected the Emperor to live long and that made the question of who would be next on the throne one of paramount importance. There two major contenders. The first was Constantine’s eldest son, Michael Dukas, who was backed by Michael Psellus and the bureaucratic faction in Constantinople. Michael and the Dukas family represented a continuation of the status quo and the chance for the bureaucrats to remain in their position of influence. Being the biological child of a credibly acclaimed Emperor also did much to strengthen his case among the common people. He was, however, by no means a shoe-in.

Opposing Michael’s claim to the throne was Romanos Diogenes, a member of the Anatolian aristocracy with some experience in the army. Romanos was from a noble family of medium power and importance, being neither particularly wealthy or notable. He did have two things going for him, however, in his bid for the throne. The first was the very fact that he was not a Dukas or any of their supporters. Romanos Diogenes represented change in the minds of the people and, more importantly, of the army. It was this same reason that he was so reviled by those currently in power in Constantinople; they risked to lose everything if he ever came to the purple. Romanos’ second advantage was an ally he had inside the royal court: the Empress Eudokia herself. They had met sometime in 1065 and she had instantly become taken with him. While Romanos was not known for being either outstandingly handsome or charming, he must have been a vast improvement over the aged and deformed Constantine Dukas. They carried out a secret correspondence for almost a year. Then, when news of the Emperor’s illness got out, the Empress began a plot to marry Romanos and have him crowned as the senior Emperor over the Dukas boys.

The crucial support needed by both parties was that of the elderly Patriarch John Xiphilinos. The Empress drafted a letter promising a generous annual subsidy and several grants of land to various monasteries if the Patriarch would agree to annul Romanos current marriage, freeing him to marry her. Unfortunately Michael Psellus was faster. He was able to secure the support of the Patriarch for Michael Dukas, how is not clear, and to also forbid the Empress to take a second marriage. Ten days after the death of Constantine Dukas his son was formally acclaimed Basileus. The bureaucrats seemed to have won, as another one of their Emperor’s ascended to the throne.

Last edited:
Sorry about the brevity of the update, I was unsure how to break this chapter up. I think I'll try to make them a little longer in the future.

man I wanted Romanos to win, a fresh look for the army

I am not entirely convinced that Diogenes has lost yet. "seemed to have won" does rather create the impression that, in reality, perhaps he has not, in fact, won. ;)

Emperor Mikhael Dukas is now in place and supported by the bureaucrats. Quick successions that leave the opposing faction intact usually find something happens an army secretly admitted to the City or the new Emperor eats or drinks something that fatally disagrees with him.

This succession may yet be successful should the Seljuks burst across the frontier and Romanos and the army have to go East.

Byzantine history is allways interresting, but even though Michael Dukas is incompetent in about everything, he has to win the support of the military commanders, otherwise they might not support him when the turks come, and they will come.

Michael can do okay if you're careful! I loaded up what I thought was a random duchy the other day ... yep, him, and Konstantinos dies on January 12, 1067....about two seconds after I realized how terrible Michael's stats really were. I thought I was doomed, but he's doing okay.

Great posts so far! It's nice to see a touch of the background politics that pretty much define the term 'Byzantine court.' :) I'll be following! Good luck!

terraferma: Romanos may yet get his shot at the throne. ;)

darks63: Yup, Byzantium starts off in much of a bad way. I don't like the fact that they start at war with the Seljuks, ahistorical IMHO and terribly debilitating to the AI. They always seem to get steamrolled, due to the Turkish ubermensch generals, and then we wind up with a Muslim Europe.

stnylan: Very perceptive of you. I don't want to give anything away but the power struggle is nowhere near over. ;)

Chief Ragusa:You're quite correct in that while the Dukas faction has beaten their rivals to the throne they've by no means eliminated them. Expect Constantinople to be a dangerous place for some time.

yourworstnightm: The Turks are coming, it remains to be seen if the Emperor can rally the army or not.

CatKnight: A healthy dose of player skill can usually overcome the unfortunate Dukas propensity for incompotence but since I'm RPing...
And thank you, I'm glad to have you aboard. One of the things I want to do in this AAR is replicate the constant scheming and intrigue of the Byzantine court. There's a reason the adjective 'Byzantine' means what it does, after all.

Byzantium in-fighting? Oh I canna wait, this is gonna be fun! ;)

Mayhap if we're lucky we'll see the Turks deciding to invade right in the midst of the power struggle for the throne and then really get to see the tangled mess that is the Byzantium bureaucratic institution sort itself out!

At least this way Mikhael is already Emperor and won't have to ensure Romanus' defeat to gain the throne. The governors are armed; in reality Constantine IX decidedthe best way to cope with the Seljuks massing on the eastern borders was to disband the 50,000 themata facing them.

Still the Dukas faction has to take the prize as the most stupid collective bunch of bureaucrats ever to decide the fate of the Empire.

Ah! How did I miss this? I see you're taking up the great task of saving the Byzantine Empire from the ruins of history too huh? Your AAR has been excellent so far, and I look forward to more. Good luck. :D

Sorry about the delay. I'm trying my best to get an update ready for tonight.

Darks63: Not a bad idea... :D

Draco Rexus: Well I guess it's your lucky day then. ;)

Chief Ragusa:Yup, the Dukas rank pretty low on my lists.

SeanB: Thank you very much, I'm glad you're enjoying it. I'm only continuing the proud tradition of pulling Byzantium back from the edge of disaster that's been around the forums for some time. :)

Chapter II (ii)

Michael Dukas, now Michael VII, spent the next several months trying to consolidate his hold on the throne, only to find this considerably more difficult then he’d thought it would be. Despite the best efforts of Psellus, who had been elevated to the rank of Parakoimomenos, there was a growing antipathy towards the Dukas family, mostly from the army. The army was not the only source of discontent, however. Members of the church also held the Dukas family in low regard, unimpressed by their lack of piety and indulgent lifestyles. In the eastern provinces they were upset over the continuing persecutions of Armenians. The Archbishop of Mesopotamia (a Byzantine province not to be confused with the larger region between the Tigris and Euphrates rivers) was an outspoken critic of the persecutions who used the wealth of his monastic lands, which were considerable, to ferment dissent. In June of that year the Archbishop formally condemned the Emperor and convinced the local strategos to rise up in rebellion.

Michael Dukas’ response to the news of open rebellion was characteristically lackluster, though one does think that someone in the royal court would have had an appreciation of the severity of the situation. After several weeks of dithering Michael sent a messenger ordering the governor of the Galatia Theme to mobilize his troops and crush the rebels. The governor agonized briefly over his loyalties but ended up obeying his orders. He took the field and began marching towards the rebel camp in Mesopotamia, ignoring the fact that he was outnumbered two to one. The rebels were already on the march, however, and when they heard of the loyalist force in Galatia they quickly marched to meet and neutralize them there. The rebel Strategos hoped that a victory, however small, would encourage further revolts. It was not to be. The two armies, though army may not be the right word considering their size, met at Kaiseria. Despite their advantage in numbers the rebels were unable to break the loyalists. A strong wind all made their arrows all but useless while carrying the enemies further than normal while worries about the safety of their homes and families hurt morale. After two days of half-hearted fighting the rebels withdrew. News reached Constantinople of a “glorious” victory, followed by even more encouraging news. Another loyalist force under a bright young strategos had smashed another rebel contingent at Koloneia. Thus entered Alexius Comnenus onto the scene.

Alexius gained notoriety throughout the Empire for his brilliant victory at Koloneia, reportedly killing 300 rebels while only losing two of his own soldiers. From this point on his star was in ascent and he was to soon found himself drawn into the swirling power struggle surrounding the throne. The other result of these twin victories was that in enabled Megas Domestikos, Nicephoras Boteniates, to convince Michael Dukas to send a moderate force east to wrap up the rebellion and direct efforts against the Turks. The Turks were, admittedly, an afterthought for the Emperor; his primary concerning was the opportunity to confiscate the lands of the traitors and claim them as his own. Nicephoras gathered his troops at Thessalonica and crossed the Aegean Sea to Smyrna, then began the overland march towards Mesopotamia.

After the stand at Kaiseria the miniscule force from the Galatian theme had been ordered to advance to the rebel capital and initiate a siege; they would be joined later on by the Megas Domestikos. Though the fortifications in Mesopotamia were minimal at best, the forces at the disposal of the Galatian strategos were woefully inadequate for the task. Attrition, too, was beginning to take its toll on the poorly equipped soldiers and there was the danger that the rebel army defeated at Kaiseria, which remained largely intact, would return. And in the east the Turks had taken the province of Vaspaurakan and were steadily building up their forces there. None of this mattered to those in power. So it was that, as the summer of 1067 faded, the Byzantine Empire remained convulsed in domestic turmoil while their enemies were gathering for a fatal strike.

VILenin said:
So it was that, as the summer of 1067 faded, the Byzantine Empire remained convulsed in domestic turmoil while their enemies were gathering for a fatal strike.

Cool! :) :p :D

Very ominous there.

Wow! Amazing update! Alexios Komnenos enters the scene almost exaclty as he did historically! Good work with the crushing of the rebels! Glad to see some loyalists (not that their loyalty should be with Michael, its just that a better way to fix the empire is to make themselves emperor, rather than revolt) who will help to keep the empire together!