• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sailor

Armand stood behind the counter, ladling thick spoonfuls of soup into the bowls of the passengers. Some weeks back the soup had a recognisable taste, but the constant simmering and intermittent addition of new ingredients had rather confused the issue.

The passengers were mostly a surly lot, some de-mobilised soldiers, some travellers on thin budgets. The soup did not generally improve their mood.
Talk among the soldiers was livelier today, as news filtered through of the latest campaigns in the north.

Not satisfied with the great plains, the new steppe as they had been renamed, the Tsar was now apparently trying to prise the perma-frozen tundra away form the Canadians too. Some of the smaller regiments from the wars against the USA were even now advancing north.

1878stompingcanada7iv.jpg

Not all of the regiments in action were part of the Amerussian armies, the Guards Cavalry Corps was also in action.

1878stompingcanada23vy.jpg

Some of the soldiers were even a little wistful about not being back in service, but the majority were grateful that they were now heading past the Mexican coast, rather than docking in some frozen port in the Yukon.

One man looking distinctly annoyed was Yevhen, who glared at Armand as he collected his soup. No words were exchanged, but Armand was beginning to get the distinct impression that he may have fleeced the wrong man at the poker table. He would have to be careful.

One snippet of news from a trader made Armand’s ears perk up. The chap who had recently joined the ship had heard of changes afoot in Flanders. The Russian lowlands were apparently being sold piecemeal back to the French. Whilst years back the nations had been at war, relations had improved somewhat to allow repatriation of French provinces.

1878sellingflanders4ai.jpg

Armand pondered this; what would happen to the Flemish states? Surely their liberty would always remain a pipe dream?

*Pats the Flemish states on the back

There, there, Flemish states. I dream of pipes, too.

anonymous4401,

it looks like I should be more careful with my figures of speach - apparently the whole 'pipe dream' phrase thing is a bit antiquated. Ah well, never mind. If it was a dream of pipes, would it appear in a Magritte painting? If you haven't seen them, do a search and have a look, they are cool. And way ahead of their time.

Hasskugel,

yeah, Italy seemed to be doing rather well in this game. I think it's due to the war I had with them back in the 1850's or so, where I supported the Germans against Austria. I flung in the regular army & also a load of conscripts, and basically really smashed through their army (although I got nothing on the peace deal - thanks, Germany!). The Austrian AI was a bit snoozy after that, and for whatever reason never really rebuilt much of an army. Hence, aggressive Italy munched into the Trentino and likewise. Interstingly, being attacked like that made Austria wake up a bit, and the war you see there was a bit of a stalemate for ages.

More story goodness coming up

Heretic

Heretic,

Checking in! Good to see our favorite kopek getting out to see the world.

Keep up the good work!

Rensslaer

Heretic said:
anonymous4401,

it looks like I should be more careful with my figures of speach - apparently the whole 'pipe dream' phrase thing is a bit antiquated. Ah well, never mind. If it was a dream of pipes, would it appear in a Magritte painting? If you haven't seen them, do a search and have a look, they are cool. And way ahead of their time.

Don't worry, Heretic. I know what 'pipe dream' means. I was just being silly. :p

In the noisy dark of the ship’s night, the quiet chink of the door handle turning did not stand out. The heavy frame of a man slipped through the crack of light the open door revealed. Moving gently, the figure pushed the door closed again, and pressed back to the metal wall.

He paused, as his eyes adapted to the almost complete dark of the tiny cabin.

He wanted to be certain that things went to plan.

That little rat would pay.

A lunge and a scuffle followed, with thick ship’s blanket swamping the movements of the assailant and victim alike. A grunt, and a groan, and the two tumbled back from the bed, as the victim rapidly regained consciousness. Polenek’s heavy hand swung to and fro, crashing blows into the boy’s head. Heaven knows, but he was made of tough stuff to survive at sea, and shambled back, hands attempting to shield his face.

Polenek’s fury carried him on, backing the boy into the corner, assailing his legs with kicks, and punches to the torso. Armand squirmed, and reached up to the shelf above his head, grasping for anything to fend off the attacker.

His hand grasped the edge of the first large object, and swung back. With a thick thud, a thousand pages of Tolstoy wrapped themselves around the man’s temple, hard cover and all.

Polenek folded to the floor surprisingly quickly.

It did not take long for Armand to get some of the other crew to slam Polenek into the brig, hopefully not to disturb him until he ship docked in Jamaica, long months away.

Sailor

So; a life on the ocean wave, a home on the rolling sea? Well, it’s healthy for some, what with all that sea air and exercise. Mind you it is also a little less healthy for others, say, those that sleep in a tiny iron box and spend all day leaning over a vat of indescribable soup.

I might add that all this slat air has added a little tarnish to my face – a blip of dirt right on the eyebrow of the Tsar, no less! Goodness, a coin with a more careful master would not have such a blemish for long, but I’m sad to say that this cabin boy has little use for money most of the time.

From what I understand he is saving his poker winnings for a spree when he gets ashore at some as yet unknown destination. Goodness knows how much longer I’ll be stuck here in this grimy wallet.

It’s been good that we have been joined by an elderly rouble, that Armand removed from a newly joined passenger. This means news from ashore, surely a relief after the bottled-up intrigue of the tight ship’s community.

It sounds as if the Tsar’s Amerussian armies are on the march again, with some progress as the autumn set in.

1880augmarcheast6wy.jpg

Some of this is heresay, but the general picture is that the border is being consolidated out west, with some support from our sometime allies, the Mexicans.

1880novmixedwar2fg.jpg

As for Europe, well word has it that the Italian Federation are attempting to assert claims to the Tyrol, also to some of the Cantons that the Austrians overtook back in the 50’s. It all seems to be going fairly well for the Italians, but no doubt the Austrian army will manage to stabilise a line somewhere decently far west of Vienna.

1880italyaustriawar8wd.jpg

Finally, I hear that diplomatic deals are being made left right and centre, with the Russians farming out the ex-British colonies to anybody who will take them. The French got some, the Germans others, basically anybody who has more wish to rule over some poor natives in a backwater.

1880soldtogermany5dl.jpg

Hmm, all in all a quiet enough year, and one in which I have become heartily sick of rocking to and fro. We have been chugging around the Caribbean, and may apparently soon head north for colder waters. Here’s hoping that there’s landfall ahead, and that it includes the site of Armand’s wishes!

Heretic said:
Five to one baby, one in five.
No one here get's out alive! :D

It would be nice to see an annexation of America carried out by the Russians.

Giving away all those Rubber provinces to those pesky Germans? :eek:

Why?

Heretic said:
Cookie Monster -
Annex? Surely you don't expect me to annex them?
Can anybody think of an even more humiliating fate?
Such as being satellited by some minor?

Heretic
OK. So.

Annex and then satellite Bhutan. Make a full alliance DOW the Yanks then give a exped force to Bhutan takeover 1 American province lead all your troops thru it thereby getting all American prov's Bhutan controlled. Rinse repeat till they are destroyed and then you steal a few control's for Mother Russia. You then satellite them in the peace treaty which gives all Bhutan controlled provinces to Bhutan. So America is fully Bhutan controlled and completely humiliated.

Bhutan conquers all!!! Yeah Baby. Who's your DADDY!!??

WIBBLE.BLICK.BING. :wacko:

You can really do that?

Sweet! :D

Yes but it's (a little) exploitive. We know that you can expand an allies control. We know you can satellite a country and the other occupiers keep the territory so....

I want to see Bhutan as the 2nd greatest country in the world.. Hehe LOL.

Be one of the first times a coin has been in a Bhutan citisens pocket.

anonymous4401,
I was giving away the colonies to generally keep my borders tidy. It's a kind of roleplay thing, in that the Tsar picked up all the islands etc form the UK, but has no real interest in them, and so passes them on as favours. Sadly due to my (un)healthy BB score, I have no chance of trading for tech, and even if I did, my pitiful research rate would mean negative tech points for ages. It took me about 10 years to finish 'biologism' mainly because I had to cut education just to keep my debt during mobilisation from soaring.

cookie monster,
interesting concept, I;m not quite sure if I would go so far, but you are on the right lines there.

More story in just a little while

Heretic