• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
anonymous4401,

since you appear to be my principal reader, it is time to apologise for my lapse in updating aver the last, erm, well, few days anyway.

Ok, I know it is 1875, and I haven't taken over the world yet. I though a straight WC would be a bit dull, so I do have a goal in mind. It just isn't very obvious, although the title does give a clue.

Yeah, I did have a drive on to nad claims here and there in the north, but my reluctance to go to war against the UK without me habving any sort of serious navy meant that they did get to claim some bits of Canada.

Ok, so, some thinking & writing required on my part, but have no fear, Ice & Snow shall continue.

(eventually)

Heretic

Oh, I'm watching. I've just always felt sort of spammy replying a lot to AARs...

1876 isn't too far in, and it's hard to realize how not-far-in it is until you've written an AAR to that point and realize the game is hardly a third of the way done.

Is not our old friend and narrator the five-kopeck piece growing rather elderly and devalued, though?

Heretic said:
Ok, I know it is 1875, and I haven't taken over the world yet. I though a straight WC would be a bit dull, so I do have a goal in mind. It just isn't very obvious, although the title does give a clue.
Heretic

My geuss is that you "just" want the domination of the northern hemisphere? Including N. America, Russia and maybe Europe? Well i'm probaly horrible wrong but great AAR you got going here! :)

el presidente -
devaluation; a good point, one I shall have to address. I think that the 1800's suffered less seriously from inflation than our own age, although some bright spark is sure to correct me..

Skymning,
well, not quite, although obviously I do have designs on the upper half of the north amreican continent. all will become clear although don't expect it to happen for ages.

Right, I really must now put my narrative cap on and string together something intruiging. But don't hold your breath
Oh, go on then, here y'go

Heretic

Last edited:
Soldier

“Now” croaked Polenek, warming to his theme, “If only we got to go to exotic places like the glory boys in the Himalaya regiments.”
“Exotic? My arse! It’s no different slugging over those mountains than over these plains.”
“Yeah, but the locals, you know, exotic colour and all that?” Polenek became more hesitant as his vodka fuelled enthusiasm petered out.

Polenek was of course talking about the legions of conscripts that had been mustered to fight the colonial war against the British. A giant but unshapely army had been assembled, and herded like sheep over the high passes.

1875junehimalayahunt.jpg

Under the leadership of General Gurko, they had come together as a fighting force, and advanced across some of the worst terrain known to man. Outposts and strongholds of the British empire fell under their advance, although in the early part of that war, they had not faced serious opposition.

1875deckashgartaken.jpg

The appointment of Skobelev to the secondary force also improved the speed of the advance.

1876janworkingfoothi.jpg

British colonial forces did put up a spirited defence, attempting to retakes Rawalpindi. As a great Russian victory, it was well reported to the troops all over the empire. Descriptions of entire regiments of the hapless natives being wiped out under co-ordinated artillery fire were repeated ad nauseam.

1876augrawlpindidefe.jpg

The advance towards Delhi was only met by token forces. The great difficulty was simply supplying the troops as they advanced.

1876novadvancetodelh.jpg

There had been a call out for presents for the troops in their New Year parties as they laid siege to Delhi. Given the limited opposition, the siege was a less than tense affair.

1876decoccupyingdelh.jpg

“Exotic color? What are you talking about – the woods around here are full of Indians too, you know.” Yevhen was a little sceptical.

“Pah, they are hardly exotic – the last one I met was trying to sell me a rifle. From what I could see they were the high quality ones the Yankee troops carry, and fresh from the factory too.”

You didn't annex Bukkhara yet? :eek:

Great job against Britain! Nice to see some progress there. :cool:

re. devaluation: While it certainly wasn't as bad as it seems to get nowadays, over the course of a man's life it could still be pretty breathtaking. A man could get by pretty well for a day on five cents in 1836, for example, but by 1886 it would have bought the same man a single lonely beer...

Good to see Russia playing the Great Game in America and Asia, showing the bomb-throwing anarchists in Washington and London how empire is done, and not doing silly and distinctly German things like trying to conquer the world.

el presidente,

thanks for that. I will try and squeeze the devaluation in somewhere. Thanks also for the note about not going for the whole world; so vulgar, I think, like some 2-bit James Bond villan rubbing his hands with glee just because he has got his fingers on a couple of nukes.

but I digress.

Rey,
Yeah, India is green, but for the moment, that is ownership and not control (like the remnants of the USA)

anonymous4401,
Surely you don;t expect the grand Tsars of Russia to bother themselves sending out some regiments just to collar a bit of scrappy mountain with some sheep on it?

anyway, more incoming,
and again, warnings about lack of updates over the festive season.

Heretic

Well, “What news?”, I hear you ask.

News indeed, my friends, it appears that my travels have begun again. Our Yevhen, sadly I cannot call him ‘young’ any more, has checked in his commission. From what I understand, continuing an age old tradition, all of the soldiers leaving the army after the north american campaigns are being given the opportunity to take up a tract of land somewhere in the empire.

Yevhen is heading back overland to Portland, where he will, apparently join a ship bound for pastures new. Quite which part of the empire he will end up in is not as yet known, however.

Perhaps I need to fill you in on a little recent history? Given that we are now in October, the year of our lord 1877, there have been a few minor developments since that summer night last year when Yevhen and Polenek got so soundly drunk.

For a start, the campaign in India continued well for the Russians:

1877marchdelhimarch1hv.jpg

With the loss of Delhi back in April, the British administration in India was frankly in tatters.

1877aprildelhistorm8xe.jpg

A running retreat down the Ganges valley followed. Apparently, the officials back in London were so poorly informed of the true situation, they kept refusing offers of peace which asked only for land in the Himalayas.

Finally, as the summer drew to a close, the real situation became clear, and the great empire of the British bowed to acknowledge it’s superiors. As tribute, a veritable necklace of islands around the world were passed over into Russian ownership. These islands were the little jewels that were being offered to the demobilised soldiers; an acre of paradise for every man!

The ‘necklace’ ran around the world, from the Caribbean,

1877octcarribbean2yq.jpg

to the western coast of Africa -

1877maygangesvalley7gp.jpg

and on down the coastline further south;

1877octsafrica5au.jpg

The jewels spread to the Indian ocean, and on to the Pacific;

1877octspacific5ly.jpg

What joy! Where will I end up? I hope that it is somewhere warm. Ah well, only another week or so in transit until we get to the port.

I hope Yevhen does not go on a last minute spending spree before setting off, otherwise I might find myself stuck in the Hicksville frontier towns for some time longer.

Last edited:
Sailor

Polenek gulped, and tried to straighten the cards in his sweaty fingers. With a creak, the lamp overhead swayed, following the roll of the ship. Time seemed to pass very slowly as Polenek’s anxious eyes swept around the room. His opponent’s faces were washed with moving shadows as the lamp swung slowly back.

“I’ll raise you five.” The words came out strangely from his suddenly dry throat. It wasn’t supposed to be like this. The poker games earlier this week had seemed so much easier. He thought he had got the measure of the crew, particularly that rat from the galley, but doubt was beginning to enter his mind. What if they had been setting him up? Oh dear, the money he had to start his smallholding was even now at risk.

“Soldier, let’s see those cards.” The galley boy asked, wryly. Even as he asked, he lowered his to the table, a gleaming set of kings.

Polenek began to realise that he had become very poor very suddenly. Only his years in battle allowed his face to remain calm.

“Well, you certainly have the luck.” Somewhere behind him, a quiet snigger erupted.
“If I have the luck, I hope you have the money.”

Polenek stood up from the table, and reached deep into his purse, grasping everything apart from the tiniest of small change, passing it all into the waiting hand of the galley boy. The night air on deck seemed very inviting, with the cold, dark sea below also tempting.

This is a really excellent AAR - the use of the kopek as narrator and the way you integrate the rest of the characters makes for a very enjoyable read. Do keep up the good work. :)

With America, France and the UK humbled, and Prussia tied in a strong alliance, Russia does seem unstoppable at the moment, but I guess domestic problems will prove a serious challenge farily soon.

I would hardly call the Namib Desert a 'paradise'. :D

I'd sure like to see the look on the soldiers' faces when they found out that their 'acre of paradise' turns out to be a sun-blasted desert in the middle of nowhere.

AKjeldsen,
thanks for the profuse compliments!
Yeah, my one little problem with Victoria is that there are no real 'limiting factors' on growth - after you have overcome the revolt risk in conquered territories, there are no disadvantages to gaining land. Gaining land gives you the ability to raise more troops, which gives you the ability to keep the land. You really need to create your own problems in order to make the game tough.

Anonymous4401,
thanks for your continued support, yes, there was a little exaggeration about the quality of the free land dished out to the soldiers. I think it's called intentional disinformation.

Heretic

Soldier

Ah well, “Change and change about”, as we small denominations like to say.

I can’t say that my life has been truly revolutionised by the most recent transaction I have been engaged in. It’s a little bit different in the kitchen boy’s purse from Yevhen’s money belt. I’m still on the same old ship, smelling the same old smells, seeing the same old sea, so that’s not too different.

Armand, as the kitchen boy is known, is a bit of a reclusive character. It seems that every moment he manages to find when not swabbing the galley, or peeling the potatoes for the soup that seems to be perpetually simmering on the stove, he tries to sneak away to the little box that he calls his cabin. It’s really a bit of space snatched from under the stairs, but, being a discrete space of it’s own, does indeed merit the name of a cabin.

The ship continues to sail on, heading gradually down the west coast of the north american states of the Russian Empire. We call at all sorts of rusty little ports, dropping off some of our cargo, and picking up a few local specialities. Sure, we still have our contingent of gloomy soldiers, waiting to be dropped off on their individual acres that were the spoils of the war. They all cling to their ‘letters of guarantee’ provided by the army. Sometimes I can see them over dinner, allowing their closer associates a glimpse of the name written down, the place they are pinning their dreams on.

I have to laugh occasionally about the gullibility of these men. They know nothing in real terms about where they are going. They are taking very little with them, and if the crew’s poker circle continues to be effective, they will have even less when they disembark. I guess some of them really are just torn apart by their years of war, and any promise of a quiet life is a marvel that they cling to.

As for the acres, well, they could be very chilly indeed given the Russian Empire’s expansion into the northern reaches of the american continent.

1878octclaiming1ag.jpg

What of the world out there, eh? Oh, I heard a little from some dimes that Armand picked up in change on shore. Apparently there are still many Russian regiments travelling over land through the so called ‘united’ states to the east. The locals hate them, since they are pretty free to take what they want on the way, and the feeble congress cannot protect them, and fears the wrath of the Tsar should they even raise a peep.

1878novlongretreat5el.jpg

In some very odd news, apparently as a result of conflict in the gulf of Aden, some additional muslim territories were joined to our empire. It seems that Petersburg has no taste for the administration of those lands, and have set up a protectorate. I suspect it is a political move, to pacify the muslims throughout the asian sections of the empire.

1878satellite14mx.jpg

Ah well, stranger things have happened at sea, as they say.

Did you manage to take the Balkans from the Turks? Can't let those semi-demi-Russians stay under the feet of the Turk, can you?

anonymous4401,

my focus has mainly been on the other side of the Atlantic, I'm afraid. It's almost a meaningless exercise for me to swallow all those minor states, since all I have to do is mobilise my pool of 100 infantry, use them to top out the various line armies of regulars, and then march all over them. Besides, I do have a master plan, although it is a) not apparent and b) not particularly helpful

Yeah, and without keen readers & commenters like yourself, I'm having difficulty in focussing on the writing. Gameplay has romped ahead, and there really are some truly titanic tussles ahead, but I kind of want to stick to the story sructure I mapped out, which means they are a little way off yet..

So there y'go

Heretic