A Corps suggestion. Exploring how Military Combat should be more engaging.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Prob32

Second Lieutenant
16 Badges
Jan 3, 2023
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
A suggestion for a potential military DLC rework down the line in 2025 or beyond. The intent of the proposal is to explore what future mechanics might look like for a military focus DLC, not as improvements to the 1.5 military system. In my view the DLC related content tends to be more focused and comprehensive and thus a better fit for all the aspects of the game that this re-work would need to touch. This proposal is focused on potential organizational changes, combat changes and tech changes. There are other issues that might be more pressing, mainly war score and peacing arrangements but those are not the focus of this suggestion.

Section 1: Issues with the current system

While the 1.5 re-work certainly helped improve military gameplay it also didn’t fundamentally change the level of interaction you have with your military. You still assign armies to fronts with only Offense and Defense values that matter. Organization exists but it’s almost always a 100 so the value rarely comes into play. It also added some tedious work involved with manually assigning battalions to formations/Armies. Especially when you want to balance your infantry and artillery in a 50/50 ratio.

Better but still not smooth, or quick. Something best done on pause or pre war.
HXnkdi9k0fL0hTFBlrY_cBikN8d1cOn3GaVEXoj7nhsXNZhZQSlqF_XFsTFhZ2t5t0KmKoKruLMZFG4d5RXqsCcke3VOlhaJPKBU_mkS837hcirAAVAl_EwbSeXjnfwTHXLqjaM_3VKi__ExOYJkJm0

Front splitting remains an issue, and while it is supposedly patched in 1.7 it remains an issue, particularly when you have one army (formation) on a front because it can only be assigned to one front at a time.

Combat also remains very one dimensional with offense defense, set 1:1 artillery ratios and doesn’t really change much from start to end of game other than the dioramas. As described by the dev’s once naval battles are just “Manpower balls on the sea”. Well that’s also true for army combat.

In conclusion I think the current war system lacks flavor in terms of player customization where it matters, can be tedious in managing battalions within armies and frustrating at worst when a front splits and becomes unassigned.

Section 2: The solution to all our problems

A corp system and designer.
What would help improve all of the aspects I laid out above is an intermediate container type between battalions and Army formations called the Corps. Corps would function very similar to divisions within HoI4 although they would be larger, particularly at game start. Historically speaking most armies around this time were organized around the Corp.

Picture little victorian prussian helmets
r9b7bWgcF8mXMMyF_D-twZRgFI12s5AREfW2ch71Rhyntis-TqAAsDH83vowYHqoJWlCiRG9LR0kCk1vGlvVkhM6G2Tmdc6aZxVwoGClQgfZg2XZpsIIyyB3d-xj3kgj8kpKDAwpdyyA-KkGF1HLWCw

Corps would help address the tedium of moving different battalions around as you would now have larger unit containers appropriately sized that you could quickly assign between army groups. If you’re deploying to a front you would consider sending a self contained corp.

Corps could also assist in front splitting logic. If you have a front split with one army consisting of 3 corps, one of those corps could automatically take that front over now.

Section 3 How would a corps designer work?

Army combat looked very different in 1936 than in 1836, but behind the frontlines there was an equal amount of change in how armies organized themselves. One of the key changes was the overall shrinking in combat unit size throughout the period ultimately culminating in self contained divisional combat units by WW1. The reason for this change was the greater ability for communication and flexible organization whereas in 1836 having bigger corps sized units was easier to manage and wield.

To follow along with their historical progression corps should start out in 1836 as rather large units that are well sized for european plain tile combat widths but not much else. An example of a napoleonic war style corp might be a 16-2-2 style. With 16 Infantry Battalions, 2 Mobile Artillery battalions and 2 Horse battalions. This style of corps should be hard or soft locked in structure more on this in the combat section. Particularly in terms of the ratio of artillery and horses to infantry.

As time(technology) progresses army corps should trend both smaller and start to have higher ratios of artillery and support companies per infantry battalion which should overall make them more effective. For example, by the Franco-Prussian war we might see a 12-4-2 ratio of infantry, cannon horses.

As time progresses more support companies should become available such as machine guns (once gattlings are unlocked), logistics companies, communications companies once telegrams are unlocked, aircraft support companies, tank support companies and engineering companies which provide bonuses to your overall corps. These specialized units should be powerful, but very expensive especially since by the time they become available you will have more smaller corps.

Once a corp is selected you should be able to raise corps by state as entire blocks or assign existing battalions to corps. In combat non assigned corps should be treated as a corps but without the bonuses the corps structure entails. Certain general traits could offset this to some extent especially for combat on certain terrain types.

Corps should also be available to non-european nations but with different spins related to the doctrinal tree. For example in situations with native armies they should also organize into “corps” in name only with structures that are very different and often lack artillery and horses. However they should focus on doctrinal sub trees that focus on defense related to reducing artillery damage and better tactic selection. A well organized native army should be easy to beat in a battle but costly, forcing many battles to end a war that never quite seems like a single set piece win.

Section 4 Combat changes

Combat would need to be altered to fully realize the new corps system. It should be inspired by the HoI4 naval system/Eu4 system. Once a combat is initiated combat should have positioning phases related to the combat speed and infrastructure as corps enter the battle. Once a battle has commenced the first round should be artillery doing damage unabated, the second round should be artillery and horses doing damage. Artillery damage should target only infantry. Horses should help the likelihood of choosing a preferred tactic as they represent reconnaissance. The third round of combat and beyond should consist of infantry doing damage to each other while artillery continues to deal damage unabated.This should continue until all infantry battalions are exhausted. After which the artillery will take damage and quickly be destroyed, unless a controlled retreat is rolled once there is less than 25% of the infantry battalions remaining. Once a retreat is rolled cannons stop doing damage as they are moving out of the field.

Section 5 Province based frontline progress and supply

Frontlines should progress based on provinces captured instead of just showing occupation flags, the line should move as well to feel more native to the player. It’s fine if a split front doesn’t happen until the entire state is occupied. This will make wars feel much more push and pull. Occupied states should not provide any supply to the market and supply should be drawn and impact local prices and infrastructure.

Corps should be visible and align themselves within states on the frontline. They should be distributed based on the orders assigned at the formation. For example on a large multistate frontline we should see where the corps are and which parts of the frontline are their responsibilities through color coding. Depending on formation orders is how they should align themselves within this front with an absolute extreme being something like aggressive attack where all corps align themselves towards a one state war goal objective stacking the attack on that province but leaving other parts of the front undefended. With normal attack being more balanced and normal defense being similar.

Section 6 Ideal Ratios should be native and change

As highlighted above artillery should be awesome, it does free damage and then continuous unabated damage throughout the battle. However it should be balanced in several ways. It should impact your organizational capacity of your Corps heavily such that it becomes a burden beyond the “Ideal” template which the game should provide by default. Additionally, overstacking artillery especially at the beginning should be a recipe for your troops being overrun early in a battle without having the artillery really be able to dig its teeth in.

Section 7 Academies and Doctrine

Military academies should be introduced which allow for the research of doctrine which is primarily how your corps should change over the course of the game. Doctrinal research should be coupled with the traditional research tree. For example you cannot start to research doctrine related to utilizing shrapnel artillery which ultimately results in allowing you to increase your ratio of artillery to infantry until you’ve unlocked shrapnel artillery. In this way we’re able to tie in both technological and doctrinal changes on the battlefield. Doctrine should be segmented in 3 trees, offense, defense and support trees which should give a combination of soft bonus modifiers to corps, impact the amount of organization(in the hoi sense) each battalion gives or consumes and also unlock new tactics which properly experienced generals can utilize as their preferred tactics.

Section 8 Army capacity

In addition to doctrinal research, army academies should also be the bureaucracy of your army providing army capacity. How else is an army going to count how many beans it needs? Capacity should be consumed by the amount of corp designs you have, pushing the player to have a streamlined corps system so they’re not paying for designs they don't need. Corps themselves should also incur a cost of army capacity which should be burdensome at the start of the game and become less so as technology progresses. This should also encourage the fewer large corps slowly becoming smaller more numerous corps later down the line as they are more efficient but harder to maintain.

Section 9 Final thoughts

My hope is to see something along these lines for a Victoria giving a war system that is highly customizable and fun for the player to interact with. Allowing the player to fight with corps that are unique to their nations tactics. It should reduce the workload and frustration on the player with the current battalion based system and feel more realistic at the same time.

• 12Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
So instead of moving individual battalions around you get to mess with ratios, which is what ends up happening with the current system anyway. Which means with your idea it’s less of a pain for the player and potentially a lot easier for the AI to handle, not bad.

The artillery ratios remind me of Eu4 cavalry limits. A reflection of something that was possible (100% prussian cav army!), but not something that would actually work very well. The ratios increasing with doctrine couples nicely with tech. It’ll show that battles got deadlier not just because of new technology but because of how they were used.

Doctrine and army capacity could also open up opportunities for a nation’s army to feel unique. Prussia’s starting advantage might feel better whereas Russia and unrecognized nations will have to work harder to get up to speed.

• 4Like
Reactions:
So instead of moving individual battalions around you get to mess with ratios, which is what ends up happening with the current system anyway. Which means with your idea it’s less of a pain for the player and potentially a lot easier for the AI to handle, not bad.

The artillery ratios remind me of Eu4 cavalry limits. A reflection of something that was possible (100% prussian cav army!), but not something that would actually work very well. The ratios increasing with doctrine couples nicely with tech. It’ll show that battles got deadlier not just because of new technology but because of how they were used.

Doctrine and army capacity could also open up opportunities for a nation’s army to feel unique. Prussia’s starting advantage might feel better whereas Russia and unrecognized nations will have to work harder to get up to speed.
that’s the idea! I think I would love to see IG bonuses come into shaping army capacity or organization per battalion instead of flat bonuses.

The tech+doctrine is one of the core things that inspired this suggestion. Doctrine is what unlocks the use case of technology, there’s many examples of throughout history.

Corp designs using up army capacity also helps keep things a bit more manageable as well.

The biggest thing though is I want to showcase a vision for warfare that is fun and engaging but doesn’t require individual units on the map.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I like a lot of this. One thing that came to mind: if we have corps, why do we still need battalions at all? If the corp defines unit composition, bonuses etc., can’t we just assign barracks to a corp and allocate maintenance costs evenly? It seems like if the game goes this way, which sounds promising, then battalions should not exist anymore, even as a concept. If you can’t fill up a Corp all the way you just have the same composition with fewer soldiers, no need to micro anything in and out.

Edit: even if it’s necessary to track something like artillery taking fewer casualties, it can be done at the Corp level, and the Corp will just recruit to try and balance numbers first.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I like a lot of this.
Thank you! It's a collection of thoughts I've had from conversations on this forum & reddit about how we can make war more interesting.

One thing that came to mind: if we have corps, why do we still need battalions at all? If the corp defines unit composition, bonuses etc., can’t we just assign barracks to a corp and allocate maintenance costs evenly? It seems like if the game goes this way, which sounds promising, then battalions should not exist anymore, even as a concept. If you can’t fill up a Corp all the way you just have the same composition with fewer soldiers, no need to micro anything in and out.

Edit: even if it’s necessary to track something like artillery taking fewer casualties, it can be done at the Corp level, and the Corp will just recruit to try and balance numbers first.
You're probably right that we don't need battalions outside of the corp builder individually, but some people I've talked to actually like the battalion level flexibility and micro so this suggestion builds around those player essentially. My personal view is if we go this route just let me build corps at the military HQ level and assign out the barracks from there, I don't really gain much gameplay experience from moving individual battalions around.

I could also see us having Corp commanders as characters we can interact with and recruit from a regenerating pool based on our military academies. I'd also like to see corp commanders die at pretty high rates relative to generals now. That way there's a trade off with having enough military schools to make new corp commanders available in a longer war.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Section 7 Academies and Doctrine

Military academies should be introduced which allow for the research of doctrine which is primarily how your corps should change over the course of the game. Doctrinal research should be coupled with the traditional research tree. For example you cannot start to research doctrine related to utilizing shrapnel artillery which ultimately results in allowing you to increase your ratio of artillery to infantry until you’ve unlocked shrapnel artillery. In this way we’re able to tie in both technological and doctrinal changes on the battlefield. Doctrine should be segmented in 3 trees, offense, defense and support trees which should give a combination of soft bonus modifiers to corps, impact the amount of organization(in the hoi sense) each battalion gives or consumes and also unlock new tactics which properly experienced generals can utilize as their preferred tactics.
EDIT:

I could see doctrine being a bit better served by a doctoral split between infantry, artillery and logistics/support. I think that players should have choices within their infantry and artillery doctrinal trees and sub choices to focus on offense or defense focus.

All those changes would vastly improve current warfare. I really planned to write similar overhaul suggestion for a Diplomatic Play system, but ultimately, i think devs won’t take such proposals into consideration. They always doing their own stuff, for better or worse
Returning to your post: corps with color coding on the map would be a eyecandy if implemented in right way

• 1Love
Reactions:
All those changes would vastly improve current warfare. I really planned to write similar overhaul suggestion for a Diplomatic Play system, but ultimately, i think devs won’t take such proposals into consideration. They always doing their own stuff, for better or worse
Returning to your post: corps with color coding on the map would be a eyecandy if implemented in right way
I wouldn’t be too sure, the ownership split out might seem obvious now but that was also a very early (January 23) suggestion. It’s not rocket science so it could have originated at PDX at well but it could have been from the suggestion box or at least inspired.

I also see a lot of UX/UI changes getting implemented. It’s just more difficult to tell with an entire feature rework, and to be fair we’re only about to have our first re-work

I just want to respond to this point. Based on my long experience with Paradox's games, I don't agree that the devs never respond to player ideas by changing their plans. Some ideas, while they sound intriguing to the community, come along too late in a particular development cycle to be incorporated. Others are simply unfeasible in the context of the game's current structure. But that doesn't mean that our ideas always go nowehere.

The key is that a suggestion has to come at the right moment when the dev team is receptive to thinking about a problem along the lines suggested. I of course have no idea whether the suggestions here have arrived at such a moment, but I think they're entirely worth considering. They are certainly major dlc territory, but as the OP said, whenever a military-themed dlc is up for development, I hope these ideas get put into the mix.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I just want to respond to this point. Based on my long experience with Paradox's games, I don't agree that the devs never respond to player ideas by changing their plans. Some ideas, while they sound intriguing to the community, come along too late in a particular development cycle to be incorporated. Others are simply unfeasible in the context of the game's current structure. But that doesn't mean that our ideas always go nowehere.

The key is that a suggestion has to come at the right moment when the dev team is receptive to thinking about a problem along the lines suggested. I of course have no idea whether the suggestions here have arrived at such a moment, but I think they're entirely worth considering. They are certainly major dlc territory, but as the OP said, whenever a military-themed dlc is up for development, I hope these ideas get put into the mix.
I totally agree on timing, you need to have ideas before they really start development while they’re still in the ideations phase.

I’m not a developer but I do write some prototype code for new products in python and Java. Also even being a developer it’s hard to scope for someone else’s code base.

Disclaimers aside I don’t think that the “corp system” would be difficult to implement in terms of technical feasibility. Corps and corp designers are mostly just containers and modifiers. Changing combat would be a bit more difficult to code up as you’d need to intelligently line up the battles with different game ticks.

The hardest thing I think would just be balance. Trying to balance doctrine with tech with corps, initial start states around the world. Figuring out all the combat stats your want and then how they balance against each other. It’s a lot of linear plug and chug balance work that will take a lot of time to get right, but not unreasonable.

I really like the idea of province-based frontlines, which seems like it fixes a lot of issues with frontlines and just generally looks better as a player.

I like the idea of corps, but the problem is player legibility. In Stellaris I hated ship designs because it felt tedious and obtuse. Maybe the solution would be to make corps have two tiers of simplified and detailed optimization, with simplified maybe letting you choose from the following:

- Tiers of cost (artillery is more expensive than muskets)
- Terrain optimization (plains, mountains, jungles, urban)
- Heavy defense, guerrilla defense, balanced, rapid offense, heavy offense

Early game, a force optimized for attacking on plains might use cavalry; a heavy offense would move slower using artillery. Developing new tech would change the "meta" here that the game optimizes for with ratios. Tied in with this, a province-based system combined with corps optimization should come with greater transparency on terrains and let those terrains become more important to the combat system.

Right now, Vic3 lacks a lot of tradeoffs, at least by end game. This adds more strategic dynamism: a military optimized for putting down revolts in India is not one that will necessarily be effective for conquering Switzerland.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I really like the idea of province-based frontlines, which seems like it fixes a lot of issues with frontlines and just generally looks better as a player.

I like the idea of corps, but the problem is player legibility. In Stellaris I hated ship designs because it felt tedious and obtuse. Maybe the solution would be to make corps have two tiers of simplified and detailed optimization, with simplified maybe letting you choose from the following:

- Tiers of cost (artillery is more expensive than muskets)
- Terrain optimization (plains, mountains, jungles, urban)
- Heavy defense, guerrilla defense, balanced, rapid offense, heavy offense

Early game, a force optimized for attacking on plains might use cavalry; a heavy offense would move slower using artillery. Developing new tech would change the "meta" here that the game optimizes for with ratios. Tied in with this, a province-based system combined with corps optimization should come with greater transparency on terrains and let those terrains become more important to the combat system.

Right now, Vic3 lacks a lot of tradeoffs, at least by end game. This adds more strategic dynamism: a military optimized for putting down revolts in India is not one that will necessarily be effective for conquering Switzerland.
I see what you’re saying with complexities- I’m actually working on a mock up of what I’d want a stat card to look like and battles to calc on. There’s quite literally thousands of hours on YouTube of hoi content creators deep diving meta division templates which is something Vic doesn’t need.

What would you think of an “auto best” template button for your corp designer? Or perhaps within an army academy Building you can have them manage the corp designs in some fashion as an option?

The big things I’d really want are the interaction between tech + doctrine to still be a thing for corp design and for artillery to become more and more important.

Because:

“Artillery adds dignity, to what would otherwise be an ugly brawl.”

This is a very well formatted post, thank you for spending the time to make it so easy to read through. I'll read through again then pass on the suggestion to the devs during more normal hours (CEST)

• 6Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I see what you’re saying with complexities- I’m actually working on a mock up of what I’d want a stat card to look like and battles to calc on. There’s quite literally thousands of hours on YouTube of hoi content creators deep diving meta division templates which is something Vic doesn’t need.

What would you think of an “auto best” template button for your corp designer? Or perhaps within an army academy Building you can have them manage the corp designs in some fashion as an option?

The big things I’d really want are the interaction between tech + doctrine to still be a thing for corp design and for artillery to become more and more important.

Because:

“Artillery adds dignity, to what would otherwise be an ugly brawl.”
I think you need a step more detail than "auto-best" because, even with identical tech, the best loadout looks different for everyone. "Best" for an expansionist Prussia looks different from a Switzerland trying to protect its borders. But I think you can definitely do an "auto-best defensive" or "auto-best offensive" type of deal. More detailed organization/mobilization options can be modified by players as desired, and I think this would work quite well with the existing mobilization UI.

I definitely agree that tech+doctrine should be factored in here, and I don't think the two ideas are mutually exclusive – My thoughts are more on how to make this comprehensible both to the player and the AI, because I expect this would be overwhelming to someone looking at it for the first time.

A separate point combining the ideas on native forces having difference corps and the province-based system: I think it would be neat if this also adjusted how native uprisings work. Instead of a diplo-play, a native uprising starts with you losing one province and automatically being in a war. They gradually move to take more territory and snowball to become more powerful. This means a native uprising is manageable if you have troops nearby and snuff it out early, but can quickly grow overwhelming if left unattended. This isn't a serious threat for a major nation, but it's serious enough to force players to dedicate forces to their frontiers to handle. I really think a province-based frontline opens up a lot of cool gameplay opportunities.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I think you need a step more detail than "auto-best" because, even with identical tech, the best loadout looks different for everyone. "Best" for an expansionist Prussia looks different from a Switzerland trying to protect its borders. But I think you can definitely do an "auto-best defensive" or "auto-best offensive" type of deal. More detailed organization/mobilization options can be modified by players as desired, and I think this would work quite well with the existing mobilization UI.

I definitely agree that tech+doctrine should be factored in here, and I don't think the two ideas are mutually exclusive – My thoughts are more on how to make this comprehensible both to the player and the AI, because I expect this would be overwhelming to someone looking at it for the first time.

A separate point combining the ideas on native forces having difference corps and the province-based system: I think it would be neat if this also adjusted how native uprisings work. Instead of a diplo-play, a native uprising starts with you losing one province and automatically being in a war. They gradually move to take more territory and snowball to become more powerful. This means a native uprising is manageable if you have troops nearby and snuff it out early, but can quickly grow overwhelming if left unattended. This isn't a serious threat for a major nation, but it's serious enough to force players to dedicate forces to their frontiers to handle. I really think a province-based frontline opens up a lot of cool gameplay opportunities.
Yeah I would love to see a colonial focused patch with some occupation mechanics, ideally tied into forts. It’s ridiculous how easy pacification is and how it’s not related nationalism or pan nationalism.

I think just locking doctrine behind tech would be fine for the Ai as well as the player? The key thing is to lock most of the bonuses of a particular military tech behind the doctrine. So you need good doctrine to get the bulk of the benefit.

Auto-best defensive or offensive could work. It’s really a dev balance question around what works and doesn’t

Yeah I would love to see a colonial focused patch with some occupation mechanics, ideally tied into forts. It’s ridiculous how easy pacification is and how it’s not related nationalism or pan nationalism.

I think just locking doctrine behind tech would be fine for the Ai as well as the player? The key thing is to lock most of the bonuses of a particular military tech behind the doctrine. So you need good doctrine to get the bulk of the benefit.

Auto-best defensive or offensive could work. It’s really a dev balance question around what works and doesn’t
I think maybe I'm just overestimating how much complexity this adds to the system – I worry that players might get confused with optimizing formations. But it sounds like you're framing it like "there's an optimal ratio that gets unlocked by new tech/doctrines" which makes more sense and I don't think I understood that before.

Not sure if this would work in Paradox style, but maybe the answer is a triangular "slider" like below, with each side representing infantry, artillery, and support units. If you don't have the doctrine knowledge to hit eg 40% artillery, the slider will warn you that you'll suffer an organization bonus, and there can be an "estimated multiplier" for offense and defense.

1715046793632.png

• 1Love
Reactions:
I really like this! I think this does a good job of visualizing the very abstract concept and helps with balance.

I do think there’s room for some other values as well, other than just offense defense which we have now with a combat rework. Players deserve more than just manpower graphs falling and two men arguing. I was picturing something like HoI4 Order of Battle for naval to visualize combat. Albeit with only a few variables

Cannon/Rifle attack
Rifle attack
Rate of Fire
Accuracy

I think that the Rate of fire and the accuracy should be broken out because they help given better more granularity to the impacts of tech. For example

Minieballs and Shrapnel artillery should give boosts to accuracy and attack damage once unlocked at the cost of higher munitions. Whereas RoF should come from breach and repeaters.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Excellent suggestion which I hope will influence game development and perhaps even be built on in the future.

I personally would oppose this going into a DLC because to my understanding Paradox won't provide additional development to DLC-locked mechanics. I feel that the warfare system could and should reciveve more development in this direction in the future also if this system would be embraced by the devs.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Section 3 How would a corps designer work?

Army combat looked very different in 1936 than in 1836, but behind the frontlines there was an equal amount of change in how armies organized themselves. One of the key changes was the overall shrinking in combat unit size throughout the period ultimately culminating in self contained divisional combat units by WW1. The reason for this change was the greater ability for communication and flexible organization whereas in 1836 having bigger corps sized units was easier to manage and wield.

To follow along with their historical progression corps should start out in 1836 as rather large units that are well sized for european plain tile combat widths but not much else. An example of a napoleonic war style corp might be a 16-2-2 style. With 16 Infantry Battalions, 2 Mobile Artillery battalions and 2 Horse battalions. This style of corps should be hard or soft locked in structure more on this in the combat section. Particularly in terms of the ratio of artillery and horses to infantry.

As time(technology) progresses army corps should trend both smaller and start to have higher ratios of artillery and support companies per infantry battalion which should overall make them more effective. For example, by the Franco-Prussian war we might see a 12-4-2 ratio of infantry, cannon horses.

As time progresses more support companies should become available such as machine guns (once gattlings are unlocked), logistics companies, communications companies once telegrams are unlocked, aircraft support companies, tank support companies and engineering companies which provide bonuses to your overall corps. These specialized units should be powerful, but very expensive especially since by the time they become available you will have more smaller corps.

Once a corp is selected you should be able to raise corps by state as entire blocks or assign existing battalions to corps. In combat non assigned corps should be treated as a corps but without the bonuses the corps structure entails. Certain general traits could offset this to some extent especially for combat on certain terrain types.

Corps should also be available to non-european nations but with different spins related to the doctrinal tree. For example in situations with native armies they should also organize into “corps” in name only with structures that are very different and often lack artillery and horses. However they should focus on doctrinal sub trees that focus on defense related to reducing artillery damage and better tactic selection. A well organized native army should be easy to beat in a battle but costly, forcing many battles to end a war that never quite seems like a single set piece win.

Possible Addendum to section 3

One common theme I've also seen posted around the forums is that of foreign arms trade not being available, or that specific guns don't do enough additional damage. Example of this would be repeaters just being a PM or Breechloader's. Another issue that is also un-addressed within the corp system outlined above is where we designate if infantry or cannons are "Skirmish or Line" within a specific corp since we currently designate this at the formation level, which could still work.

A potential solution to both of these problems as well as a frame work to implement doctrinal choices might be to split out "weapons" from unit type. What is Skirmish Infantry? It's a combination of a doctrinal tactic and infantry.

What would this look like?

The implementation would probably be similar between mobilization options pane and corp designer window so I'll cover the corp designer only here. The potential implementation would be to break out the "Irregular, Line, Skirmish, Trench and Squad" from the infantry piece and same with cannons. These naming conventions could serve as the basis of "doctrine" with three levels a piece. So Line 1, Line 2, Line 3 required by doctrine research and applied at the corp level or formation as the "Infantry doctrine". Since we've now distinguished these elements as separate doctrinal elements of a corp we now can also reasonably select the primary weapon of that corp. The weapons would be analogous to what we have now but specifically called out. For infantry it would be something like Irregular muskets/rifles, napoleonic muskets, needle guns, bolt action. Each weapon change would come with a corresponding jump in lethality alone but natively be separated from the doctrine. This would also allow very clear breakouts of the increasing demands of goods per corp.

EDIT: To be clear you would default to situations with new weaponry where you're using old doctrine, so for example you could have needle guns with Line 3. An option would be do have doctrines give sometime differing bonuses, though this would make balancing more difficult. This might look like irregular infantry 3 doctrine granting reduced kill-rate from artillery such that you might benefit from irregular 3 with needle guns equipped if fighting a defensive campaign against an opponent with shrapnel artillery.

Foreign Arms Sales
One of the main benefits of this system besides more tangible abstraction would be the ability to negotiate foreign arms sales despite your technology not being at the level to produce bolt actions for example. This would work by signing a diplomatic agreement with a country that has the desired weapons, upon signing of this treaty two things would happen. First, a import route with +1000% competitiveness for arms would be established. Second, The desired weaponry would be available to you equip your corps with provided the trade route stays above a certain threshold. This would also unlock the ability for you to begin researching doctrine corresponding to the purchased technology. The flip side of this arrangement is it would essentially kill your domestic arms industry as the foreign industry would be highly preferred due to better PM's and insane competitiveness.

So what are we really doing here?
Good question! Most of what this does is de-compose the existing unit type abstraction into component parts. I like this approach because it gives the player more agency and the ability to make more unique combinations of unit type and doctrine choices. However it keeps it simple, we're not deep diving into new complex military doctrines or layers nor are we adding many new if any technologies. For players who prefer their military as simple as possible, we could implement this at a formation, or even army manage level where you could set everything to your preferred default or an "Auto best" weapon + tactic button. For balancing my suggestion would be to keep the same relative level of power jumps between Line, Skirmish extc split out between 25% from the weapons, 75% from the doctrine such that needle guns + 3 levels of doctrinal research are equal to the current relative power balancing of skirmish.

Moddability
My gosh would modders love this(I'm assuming). This would open them up to make something more akin to a Hearts of Victoria, or simulate a cold war weapons trade more effectively. Within period they could deep dive mod the different tactics and weaponry utilized at a much more granular native level.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
To add a bit more color to the reasoning to break out technology from tactics I recommend this video.

Talks about how it wasn’t just the Needle Gun that helped win the Austria-Prussia war of 1866 but the tactics that the Prussian recently(1864) innovated despite the needle gun introduction in 1841.

Reactions: