• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(255320)

First Lieutenant
3 Badges
Jan 26, 2011
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Pillars of Eternity
I will be blunt on this one.

64bit OS allows an executable to use more than 2Gb memory.
Espesially strategy games can use that to their advantage.

My question is.... or rather a request, please enable Large Address Aware for the game executable.

If not, then I will still use this tool to achieve it, but it would be much better if all gamers get that feature and it will allow you more room for development of bigger maps/more ships per battle.

So any thoughts on this?

Well, the game first and foremost has to work in 32-bit mode, obviously. As of now, all the developers use 64-bit Windows 7, and the backend runs in 64-bit mode. The frontend, deveoped in Unity, is "64 bit aware" as they say. As long as mixed environments doesn't cause us any problems, we'll make it 64-bit aware at least. If it becomes a horrible mess, it may be dropped. :) It's not going to be that memory hungry, after all.

It's better to have it prepaired for 4Gb memory instead of 2, just in case. So far I have not seen any game being affected in a negative way by LAA. It's either a positive effect or none at all.

Fun fact: LAA is often a good workaround for games that have memory leaks. I should remember that for testing I guess...