• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If you people really can't go 7 years without waging total war I don't know what to say, maybe don't play as anything but western from now on if it's such a big issue?

- Westernisation no longer requires non-negative stability.
- Westernisation no longer depends on stability, but instead progress +10 from each power each month if possible.. When progress hits 5000, modified by techgroup, its finished. (2400 eastern, 5000 native american)
Sorry, didn't finish reading the thread, but noticed a lot of people saying the New World tech group will take 12000+ MP to westernize. This is not what Johan is saying. 5000 is the most that it can cost (For the New World and I would assume Sub-Saharan groups). Other tech groups will cost LESS.
Sorry, I see Johan already addressed this.

To clarify...

Its 2400 eastern, 5000 native american etc..
That's much more reasonable.

try westernizing with times of trouble as russia or peasant war as any nation. rebels will destroy you.
Maybe. On the other hand, I've seen an AI Russia plow through ToT with almost no trouble since their base revolt risk was so low that even +10RR didn't really do much.

2400 for Eastern, since you can save 999 of each type, thats 2997 points saved, at 30 points per month used in westernization that means It'll take around 7 years in total to westernize. And as long as you keep getting more points you can keep building buildings or whatever you used to do while westernizing, maybe even war as long as you keep them short and simple and watch the war exhaustion level. For other tech groups you'll have less points to use but at least there'll be events while the thing keeps going.

I was going to ask for the 8 tech behind requirement to be waived but frankly this makes it a non-issue.
You can save 1198 as Eastern, as I recall, and the cap now doesn't decrease until you actually finish.

I'm still confused if this:

means that you can save up a lot of points and use them.
Cause if these are the costs

and you don't lose your existing points you could save up 2997 mp and just let them drain for extreme reductions in westernization time.
Nope, you can't pay the points up front. Instead, you pay 10 points per month.

Sorry, didn't finish reading the thread, but noticed a lot of people saying the New World tech group will take 12000+ MP to westernize. This is not what Johan is saying. 5000 is the most that it can cost (For the New World and I would assume Sub-Saharan groups). Other tech groups will cost LESS.
That's not what it said before, though. He clearly edited the OP for clarity. The original statement was that it would cost 5000 and that would be modified by tech group.

If you people really can't go 7 years without waging total war I don't know what to say, maybe don't play as anything but western from now on if it's such a big issue?

I havent played anything but western since 1.3 castrated the hordes... and not because of westernization, but because european countries have all the best NI sets.

That's not what it said before, though. He clearly edited the OP for clarity. The original statement was that it would cost 5000 and that would be modified by tech group.
Sorry, I must have arrived only after he edited the OP.

I don't know it's pretty simple... 7 years with stuff to do or 7 years fiddling with my thumbs? I don't care if they make it longer or with harsher penalties, why take away the "action currency" of this game?

Yes, that's it exactly, that's why it is so much easier and faster than before. And you'll still be making more points in the meantime so you're not "sitting around watching the paint dry", it's even less than waiting for AE go down sometimes.

Watching paint dry before or after Westernization, changes little. You have to build your little - no, massive - hoard of MPs, without touching them. Ok, maybe during Westernization you will be able to do something! Which does totally compensate the 20 years passed doing nothing to pile up points.

I would like a deep, involving peacetime gameplay, and at that point I finally might be able to stop declaring war out of boredom. Johan shot it down saying that EU4 is all about war and that peace is just waiting to go for the next war. So go ask the devs, not me.

You have to build your little - no, massive - hoard of MPs, without touching them.

You are aware if you play completely as normal and instead of buying a tech level you just hold onto those points you end up with 600+ points saved in every category, and you need to fall behind in tech to westernize anyway? So basically save up about two tech levels westernize then catch up. I'm pretty sure with these rules as laid out I could easily have a 0 paint drying month plan in 95%+ of my games.

That's not what I meant. You could just make sure that you have enough MP in order to get the 10MP/month during the entire process.
I don't think you need to have full MPs to get the shortest possible time. If I set my math up right and assuming a perfectly average (3/3/3) ruler, 2/2/2 advisors, and a tech group with no MP gain penalty (New World, Eastern, Ottoman, and Muslim), it should work out such that for Eastern, it would cost an average of 2 net MPs each month for 80 months, meaning that with such a setup, 160 MPs in each type. For New World and the same circumstances, 334 (net loss of 2 MPs per month for 167 months) of each type of MP should be enough, though you'll probably wind up facing a succession in there.

So, actually, if you play your cards right and/or get a really good ruler (or are Novgorod, so that you can just re-elect your way to constant good rulers), continuing some level of development in the face of Westernization shouldn't

EDIT: Derp, forgot to split the New World MPs for the types.

Last edited:
Great change. Thank you for this. The original westernisation with the losing of points was incredibly annoying. And this is going along the lines of "things take time to complete", and not the crazy insta-stab increasing and tech advancement. Please do work towards changing those to a similar system as well.

I'm a fan of this. It changes westernization into something you prepare for, rather than something you start at what you believe is a good time, and then hope a string of unlucky comets doesn't make it nearly impossible.

I'm a fan of this. It changes westernization into something you prepare for, rather than something you start at what you believe is a good time, and then hope a string of unlucky comets doesn't make it nearly impossible.

You've gotten comets while westernizing? I think waiting until you have 1000+ ADM points to raise stab from -3 to 1 instantly is what you should do, since then any stab hits won't matter at all.

Question: When Westernization completes, do your tech levels increase to the current western nations' tech levels?

I hated the fact that in the previous westernization completion you had to narrow gaps (started at tech 9, stayed after completion level 9 and the other nations are alrealy 21) with Western Europe to be in the same tech levels (you cannot waste points to invest your ideas, but about more than 60 years to narrow gaps).

Question: When Westernization completes, do your tech levels increase to the current western nations' tech levels?

I hated the fact that in the previous westernization completion you had to narrow gaps (started at tech 9, stayed after completion level 9 and the other nations are alrealy 21) with Western Europe to be in the same tech levels (you cannot waste points to invest your ideas, but about more than 60 years to narrow gaps).

Probably not...but why would you instantly be up to date? Things take time.