• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:rofl: Be patient, dude...

I 'm still stuck at 1.02 because I don't want all these bugs and CTDs...
Oh, and... You have to register to get the patch.

How to install

:confused:
Hi

Arma version -> because we can add features, fix internal errors,... we can't change the engine of other games

Install hoi2 arma 1.2 (first, run the game and try some scenario), install iron cross 1.00 in the same path, install 1.03 beta in the same path. Select your option in the ironcross setup, save and play.

Sorrry I can't even get ARMA to work! Does it install into
1. the HOI2 folder. When I tried this it crashed
2. Its own folder. Then I get 'Please install latest milestone' and it exits

I have HOI2 1.0 on CD and patches 1.1 - 1.3a for that. I have ARMA 1.0 and patch 1.2 for that. I have IC and the latest 1.3 beta9 for that.

How does all this stuff fit together? A bit of installation docs wouldn't kill ya! :) :confused:

I tried IC with AOD but I don't like the end result and it looks like a lot of cool stuff won't work. But the alternative seems tricky.

:confused:

Sorrry I can't even get ARMA to work!

:eek:o OK Figured it all out. Had to buy and install HOI-DD as a base, and from there it all works. I have ironcross.cfg, the setup program is there and I am now a happy camper.

It would be very helpful to state all these pre-requisites somewhere, and the setups between this version and on top of AOD are _very_ different.

Multiple Tech problems: ARMA 1.2 - IC 1.3 beta9

1. Tech team slots: how it works is a mystery.

I've set tech teams to 20 to see what happens. I now have 242 IC as GER in 1936 but still only 7 tech teams. Should be 12?

In other HOIs you'd get one tech team for every 20 IC or so. What is going with this? What is the IC required per tech team and can this be changed? Is it modified by other events or war?

Note that misc.txt does NOT contain relevant entries 'out of the box' with IC on ARMA. Can they be safely added or is it in the exe in this version, or can the exe values be overridden by the file?

2. German naval techs.

Germany should start in 1933 with Pocket Battleship, 280mm and 21k diesel (Deutschland had 2 x 56k diesel and 280mm guns, and Germany led the world in diesel tech)
By rights, PB tech should cause abandon early battleship because this is the choice they made, but this mucks up the prerequisites.
Perhaps this can be done by deactivating early battleship and giving GER 28k battleship and 20k BC instead. They knew how to build both of these in 1918.

I may try these changes and see what happens.

I understand that the tech levels are an abstraction and only have meaning in reference to other people's naval units. However, as it has been set up you cannot achieve the historical outcomes.
Plan Z blueprints don't help all that much because not all the prereqs are there.

At any rate, it is pretty near impossible to get 2 x Scharnhorsts by 1939 and 2 x Bismarcks by 1941 as things stand, and also do any research whatever on your ground forces and air. Not good.

Also (nitpicking) Emden was LESS advanced the K class, and these class names should be swapped, but this is minor.

3. Historical year and estimated completion date are missing from the tech interface. Major problem. How are you supposed to select tech and team properly?

4. Enhancement request. Is it possible to have additional information showing for each tech what the HISTORICAL choice was for that nation? It would sure be nice to have. However since it would require a national-specific tech tree, I can see how it would be difficult if not impossible.

Ideally if you make historical choices you should arrive at a roughly historical technical outcome, at least up to 1939 when the fortunes of war take a hand and there are then too many variables.
However this has been almost impossible with every single version of HOI.

Last edited:
3. Historical year and estimated completion date are missing from the tech interface. Major problem. How are you supposed to select tech and team properly?

4. Enhancement request. Is it possible to have additional information showing for each tech what the HISTORICAL choice was for that nation? It would sure be nice to have. However since it would require a national-specific tech tree, I can see how it would be difficult if not impossible.

Ideally if you make historical choices you should arrive at a roughly historical technical outcome, at least up to 1939 when the fortunes of war take a hand and there are then too many variables.
However this has been almost impossible with every single version of HOI.

Working as Designed, in fact this feature (along with the millions of events) are the main reason people still play IC, the tech tree is designed so that you can specialize your forces to your needs.

Instead of slavishly grinding the year appriopriate techs decide what sort of forces you need, work out which techs will boost that ability and start working towards it.

Want the German army with T-34 type fast tanks rather than Tigers, sure go for it.
Want to completely abandon submarines and develop a CV fleet for Germany, sure go for it.
Want to abandon the British Infanty first doctrine and replace with the a blitzekreig army, sure for it.

As a side note, not sure if you have yet noticed that techs add or remove tech research speed, this also frequently throws new players.
Yes you can get a 150% research speed, but you'll have no industry to build your advanced fighter planes,
You can also churn out 100's of ww1 style infantry but your research spoeed will be in the 50-60% range.

Plan ahead, have a strategy it is afterall a grand strategy game.

As a side note, not sure if you have yet noticed that techs add or remove tech research speed, this also frequently throws new players.Yes you can get a 150% research speed, but you'll have no industry to build your advanced fighter planes,
You can also churn out 100's of ww1 style infantry but your research spoeed will be in the 50-60% range.

To be honest, I prefer raising my research speed as much as possible - Better doctrines seem to make up for worse technology.
So, often I reach 170% and lack some advanced weapons.

But do the stats make such a big difference?
No, but doctrines do.

Besides, you can research all those air and naval doc's which give you 0.8% bonus within a a couple of months each.
Then your army is much stronger.

To be honest, I prefer raising my research speed as much as possible - Better doctrines seem to make up for worse technology.
So, often I reach 170% and lack some advanced weapons.

But do the stats make such a big difference?
No, but doctrines do.

Besides, you can research all those air and naval doc's which give you 0.8% bonus within a a couple of months each.
Then your army is much stronger.

In fairness i always play the 33 scenario, so i build the industry up first, i usually let my research speed drop to 75% before i start on the inf and doctrine techs

Clarification

Working as Designed, in fact this feature (along with the millions of events) are the main reason people still play IC, the tech tree is designed so that you can specialize your forces to your needs.

Instead of slavishly grinding the year appriopriate techs decide what sort of forces you need, work out which techs will boost that ability and start working towards it.

[snip]

Plan ahead, have a strategy it is afterall a grand strategy game.

Sorry I've missed a step here. Is there no longer a crushing penalty for researching techs earlier than historical? A lot of people seem to know a lot of things about how the internals of the game work, but it is scattered over hundreds of threads dating back 3-4 years and thus hard to locate. All that stuff is still in the config files so I assumed it all still operates. Whether it does or not, I can't see that there is a good reason not to show it, even if the player ignores it.

Can we have a setup option to turn it on?

Can we also PLEASE have either a manual or a sticky FAQ thread for this sort of information? I am using up my and everyone else's time asking questions that seem to be general knowledge but there is no resource that I can find. I've owned the game for two days, and only been following the IC forum for three. So I don't know where everything is.

And so: I still don't know what's up with the tech team slots, anyone know the answer?

I will say this, it seems like a great enhancement on HOI/AOD standard versions which I've had for years, but in my view the job isn't done until the documentation is complete and this goes for any software project.

The patch readmes that Quintelosky provides are great but they also assume that you know how everything not mentioned in them works, which I don't.

mrchuck

SETUP PROGRAM

These are different between 1.0 version and 1.3 patch. Not all the configurable values have made it across to 1.3. If this is intended, how do you set up all the values that aren't in the patch version (e.g. armour conversion), because the 1.3 version clobbers the old one. There are no comments in ironcross.cfg to guide.
Can we please have ALL the values back in the setup program? There are 81 values in the config file but only 40 or so to change in the program.

UPDATE: I tried saving the 1.0 setup program to see if you could change the values available in there in 1.3b9, but it doesn't run once you apply the patch.

There are 36 values to change in 1.0 and 81 in 1.3b9. I was then going to see if I could document which values do what for the benefit of everyone, but since we don't know whether the extra 45 have been inserted throughout or added at the end, this isn't safe to do.

Also Build Airbase and Navalbase in province doesn't seem to be working properly. No setting whatever allows me to build via the province menu. However, UNTICK setting allows me to build them via the production menu and TICK doesn't.

Upgrade L-ARM to ARM doesn't work and there is no setting to change. Tried this both from 1933 scenario working forward and 1939 scenario where GE has a the needed techs.

ENHANCEMENT REQUESTS

Being able to pause the game with the spacebar in AOD is a really nice and convenient feature, can we have this?
Showing the beaker when there is an unused tech slot is also great, can we have this?
Strongly support auto-send spy mentioned by someone else, and also can we have auto-run counter-espionage? Managing this is getting to be a real pain and I have better things to do :)

DOCUMENTATION
Suggested:
--Installation guide including key differences between AOD/ARMA/DH versions
--ironcross.cfg editing guide for those using ARMA, OR setup program that does all of it

UPDATE three days later: there's still more...
Is anyone reading this stuff? Never mind...

1. Plan Z looks like a really nice nerf for the Germans. I couldn't possibly have all that fleet without it.
2. Tech teams are a bit of mess. Schmeisser is designing all my tanks--he has better stats for this than Krupp (pz4) and Henshchel (Tiger). It seems that all you can do is pick the skill 9 guy and hope for the best...
3. Can we please have some way to sort the tech teams when selecting?

And also things that I like...
1. It's fast
2. It's stable, at least so far
3. It's FASCINATING!

Three cheers for Quintelosky!

Last edited:
Hi,
I played AoD first, now i'm on Aod + IC and I must say, strategic bombardment seems utterly pointless. Its effects are minimal and are repaired faster than i can inflict them at virtually no IC cost (0,02, hello?). Anyone share my impression?

Hi,
I played AoD first, now i'm on Aod + IC and I must say, strategic bombardment seems utterly pointless. Its effects are minimal and are repaired faster than i can inflict them at virtually no IC cost (0,02, hello?). Anyone share my impression?

I don't know if you seen my posts over in AOD which I've been playing for years -- tho IC is in most respects MUCH better -- but I reckon AOD strategic bombing is way overpowered too early. In AOD it seems to be a magic can opener that willl crack practically any tricky problem. For instance, JA stalled in China? No problem, just get some German strats over there (I ignore Russia and attack Mideast/India in AOD), bomb Chungking down to 0 IC and INF which takes a few weeks, and you're done. The Chinese army will then fold when pushed.

Which is kinda ridiculous. There must be a middle way.

I've also pointed out the problem over there with 'future sight' techs which nations at peace shouldn't be able to get, and many of these apply to strategic bombing--because the practical problems were in the main not foreseen, never mind solved, until the relevant parties went to war and tried to use them. As I said over there, strategic bombing theory in 39 hadn't got much further than:
1. Fly to enemy city
2. Drop stuff
3. Come back

As it turned out, all 3 things were lot more complicated than first thought...and 100,000 casualties in the bomber arms of UK and USA are testament to that. But until UK and USA went to war, there was no way to know.

EDIT: continuing in this vein, what do people think about the idea of techs that are only available if your nation is at war (or in the case of Germany, via pre-war but warlike interventions and annexations which were quite close enough as it happened e.g. Spain, Austria, Czechs). This would give the Axis powers a big edge to start with, but I'm sure it would be workable. This is admittedly much more of a problem in AOD where they have nerfed against the Axis to the point of being unplayable IMO.

Last edited:
I don't know if you seen my posts over in AOD which I've been playing for years -- tho IC is in most respects MUCH better -- but I reckon AOD strategic bombing is way overpowered too early. In AOD it seems to be a magic can opener that willl crack practically any tricky problem. For instance, JA stalled in China? No problem, just get some German strats over there (I ignore Russia and attack Mideast/India in AOD), bomb Chungking down to 0 IC and INF which takes a few weeks, and you're done. The Chinese army will then fold when pushed.

Which is kinda ridiculous. There must be a middle way.

I've also pointed out the problem over there with 'future sight' techs which nations at peace shouldn't be able to get, and many of these apply to strategic bombing--because the practical problems were in the main not foreseen, never mind solved, until the relevant parties went to war and tried to use them. As I said over there, strategic bombing theory in 39 hadn't got much further than:
1. Fly to enemy city
2. Drop stuff
3. Come back

As it turned out, all 3 things were lot more complicated than first thought...and 100,000 casualties in the bomber arms of UK and USA are testament to that. But until UK and USA went to war, there was no way to know.

EDIT: continuing in this vein, what do people think about the idea of techs that are only available if your nation is at war (or in the case of Germany, via pre-war but warlike interventions and annexations which were quite close enough as it happened e.g. Spain, Austria, Czechs). This would give the Axis powers a big edge to start with, but I'm sure it would be workable. This is admittedly much more of a problem in AOD where they have nerfed against the Axis to the point of being unplayable IMO.

I was the first to comment your post over there :)
I like strat bombers in AoD and yes, maybe they are a bit overpowered. But then, they are expensive, even more so if you don't have air superiority as repairing them is very costly. So you need a lot of fighters and bombers to cripple an enemy's economy. But in IC? There are so many more provinces and they get repaired so fast that I think it's best to completely skip that part of the game.

Building "buildings"

I've just started IC again after quite a while because I found out about the beta patch.

I can't remember (assuming it's not a mistake) how to build certain things like airbases and radar sites.

On some HOI variants there is a radar base icon within the province screen but clearly on IC there is not. So I go to the economy tab but can't build any as the option is greyed out. I understand that the ability to build radar is linked to tech, but I have "Basic Radar" tech which actually says "New Building Allowed: Radar Station"... so how do I build it? Similar problem with airbases.

Status
Not open for further replies.