• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.
okay u may see that kannon has a point, but what u think is better to play?and as i have noticed in ur event u always have the choice in what territories u want to claim, so i dont understand the reaon of this conflict
But the provinces aren't being claimed, they're being cored. Having territorial claims is one thing-- it can show the great ambitions of countries big and small-- but to grant all those provinces as cores represents a genuine acceptance from the local populace. I have a hard time imagining Egyptians in 1925 pulling out Byzantine flags and gaily celebrating their liberation and re-incorporation into the Byzantine Empire. That's patently absurd.

what i said doesnt involve egypt as national, it can be with integration or making them accept that their freedom is byzantine as they were a core part of byzantine empire
That makes as much sense as giving France cores on most of Germany because it used to be part of Charlemagne's empire. West Francia, after all, was a core part of the Carolingian Empire.

about the balkans , they accept would surely accept byzantium as they dream it theselfs,
Cite me three instances of Egyptians in the early 20th century who wanted to be part of a new Byzantine Empire.
now south italy is full of greek, for the north side integration but many will accept byzantium as the roman empire they wanted, minor asia =greek homeland
There's maybe 50k Griko-speakers in Southern Italy nowadays, including people who know it as a second language. Even if Mussolini managed to pull off some foul trickery I've never heard of (somehow) and the current population represents only 10% of the pre-war population, Griko-speakers would still very much be a minority even in South Italy.

As for Italy in general? Mussolini wasn't able to convince all Italians that his regime was the new Roman Empire, but at least he was an Italian. Even if this new Greek regime called itself the Byzantine Empire, it'd clearly be based on the Greek state established in the 19th century and wouldn't be actually a direct continuation of the old Eastern Roman Empire. There's no legitimacy, and nothing to show that it's nothing more than a hyped-up Greece.

those areas were controled by byzantium for 1 thousand years and greeks still live there, nothing to do with the charlemagne's empire
Egypt was last ruled by the Byzantines in 639 AD, just a little less than 1300 years before the start of this scenario. Ever-Trustworthy Wikipedia says that Egyptiot Greeks numbered some 63000 in 1907 and 250000 in 1940; Egypt's total populations in those respective years were roughly 11.3 million and 16.9 million, meaning that Greeks were around 0.56% of the population in 1907 and 1.48% of the population in 1940. That's not enough of a basis for any sort of core.

we arent talking for today but for 90 years back, and they arent such a small minority, they are more than enough for national. and as u said wasnt able to convice ALL, who said we need all? national provices dont only represent the poppulation but were u have proper claims
You are aware that Darkest Hour has both claims and cores as separate mechanisms in the game, right? A country can now claim something without having to core it.

i have answered about egypt a thousand times!!! integration!!!!!
Integrate on what basis? The tiny Greek population in Egypt isn't a good basis to build a local, loyal administration on. The average Yusuf al-Masri isn't going to give two toots about any ancient Byzantine legacy; he speaks Arabic, he probably is a Muslim and Pan-Arab Nationalism is the Great Idea amongst arabs at this time, not Byzantine restoration under a Greek administration. How does Egypt get integrated?

With the strong nationalist sentiments of the period, what makes you think that Serbs, Armenian's and Bulgarians would willingly surrender into a Greek dominated state under the banner of a long dead empire?
Perhaps grant them a bit of generousity within the new Byzantine Empire? The thema of Bulgaria could include Thessaloniki and the thema of Serbia could incorporate Macedonia. Ultimately it'd still be controlled by Greeks, but at lower administrative levels those areas could be ceded to Serbs and Bulgarians.

Why would they trade total independence for nominal independence?
Sops to national pride by granting said national polities generous borders which reflect earlier claims, such as Bulgaria's aspirations from the Balkan Wars? I mean, at this point it's worth approaching it from the other side, assuming that a Byzantium is a given and seeing what could make it work at what the realistic ramifications would be. Incorporating Arab and Balkan revolts at some point could be cool, too.