• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Alexandre

Gave Johan Wallachia's Shield
58 Badges
Jun 24, 2001
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Rome Gold
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
Having read the Portuguese AARs, I realized that I play Portugal very differently than other people do, so I decided to start a Portuguese AAR showing my play style. I’m afraid that this AAR isn’t going to be a literary masterpiece, but rather a practical description of actions taken, and my reasoning for taking those actions.

I’m playing Hard/Weakling version 1.07 AGC 2.3. My reasoning for this is that I like a somewhat quicker decline in BB than is possible at Impossible, but I also want a stronger AI response to my transgressions. I've found that I never get attacked if I'm playing Cowards unless I'm a one province minor. I’ve chosen to play the AGC because I like extra events, and Portugal’s expansion is a lot more realistically portrayed with realistic CB’s.

House Rules:
1) Never launch a war of aggression against a Catholic country.
2) Never forcibly annex a Christian state.
3) Never declare war against a Christian state without a CB and a *very good reason*. In other words, I’m not going to backstab my Protestant or Orthodox allies of many years because I’ve got a sudden opportunity.
4) Never deliberately create a CB against a Christian state.
5) I’ll limit myself to declaring one war a century against a non-Christian state without a CB. (For simplicity’s sake, I’ll count the centuries as the 1400’s, the 1500’s, the 1600’s and the 1700’s on.)
6) No reloads. No cheats.
7) When I win an alliance war, I will be fair in making the peace treaties: e.g., if the AI got half of the VPs, then the AI is getting half of the provinces. (That shouldn’t be a big deal – I don’t usually call on allies except in cases of life or death.) Separate peaces when the AI calls me into a war are a different matter: I’ll take what I can out of those wars. I'll have done him a favor by weakening the common enemy.

January 1, 1419: Portugal is at war with Fez. One army is already in North Africa. I have another army and a navy in Portugal.

I’ve got very good relations with Castile and Aragon, and am fairly neutral with the rest of Europe. I really don’t care about my relations with the rest of the world; they are only waiting to become Portuguese. :)

I have a level one colony in the Azores, and three mainland provinces.

My first actions are:
1) Send a colonist to the Azores. (With the new colonization rules, I really don't want to leave undeveloped colonies hanging around.)
2) Send a merchant to Tago. (I only had four merchants there)
3) Order my remaining fleet and army off to join the war against Fez.
4) Create a new alliance with Castile. I’m deliberately leaving Aragon out since I’m hoping that Castile will drag me into a few wars of conquest in eastern Iberia. Castile joins the war with Fez, which immediately reminds my army in Tangiers that we are at war and that it should actually start besieging the city.
5) After much debate, I’ve decided to increase my quantity rather than increase the peasants’ freedom because Portugal is so squeezed for manpower. I really hope that this isn’t a mistake since my land tech isn’t very good, I won’t invest much in land tech for a long time, I’m mostly naval, and I’m decreasing my moral one level rather than increasing it one level.
6) I reset my budget sliders so that all of my income is going to improve infrastructure. My reasoning here is that if I can quickly gain two Infra levels I’ll have a significant boost to my income which is going to be vital when I switch to colonization.

I went with the King in the Social Revolution of Joao I. While long-term I prefer decentralized (delayed revolt risk is a good thing when you’ve got a vast global empire, especially as you start picking up non-Christian and non-Iberian provinces), in the early game I’m still compact enough that +3 centralization won’t hurt. I’m really indifferent on the aristocracy/plutocracy tab; both sides have advantages. Freeing the peasantry counteracts the quantity change to the sliders that I made earlier. Trade +250 is a good thing. I really need more money right about now. +3 Revolt Risk is a temporary problem, so well worth ignoring in the grand scheme of things.

Fez attacks me in Tangiers, and my army holds out -- just. I was right to make the gamble, but will need to keep a very close eye on my army till I can increase my moral to something reasonable.

My second army landed on Fez, defeated Fez’s army and started to besiege their capital. Fez’s forces retreated to Tangiers where I crushed them. I immediately lowered my naval maintenance to 50%. While this helped, the real drain is from my oversized army.

In April, Castile granted me access. Short term, that means that I can still use their ports to resupply my fleet if they make a separate peace with Fez. Long term, it allows me to use the Canary Islands as a base from which to explore the African coast.

On the first of May, I finally learned how to promote my bailiffs. I did so immediately. Did I mention that money is a problem? I left my budget priorities to improving infrastructure.

In July, with the last of Fez’s stragglers defeated, I reduced my military maintenance to 50%, which reduced the budgetary drain to 7.4%. That means that I can maintain my army indefinitely without risking bankruptcy, though I would hate to see the inflation results.

In August, I took out war taxes. I expect the war to end next year, so might as well accept a boost to my war exhaustion in exchange for more money.

One the first of December, Tangiers fell to my forces. Castile immediately made separate peace. While that wasn’t very honorable of them, I really don’t mind: I’ve got one province in my hands already, the other is besieged, and the enemy has no army to lift the seige. It’s only a matter of time till I get a complete victory. In any case, if I’d declared war after forming the alliance, I would not have called on Castile to help me.

Last edited:
Good beginning. Have you seen my Portuguese AAR?:D

I'm curious to know how your different play as Portugal will be. But it's better to stay curious and see what happens than to know it before!:cool:

Força, Portugal!

Originally posted by Anibal
Good beginning. Have you seen my Portuguese AAR?:D

I'm curious to know how your different play as Portugal will be. But it's better to stay curious and see what happens than to know it before!:cool:

Força, Portugal!

Actually, your AAR is still quite early, so I'm not quite sure how it's going to play out either, but so far you've taken a somewhat different track then I do . . .

You should start seeing divergences in the 30's (I mean, almost everyone is going to start off with a little crusade in North Africa, right?) but a lot of this is going to depend upon how the new colonization model plays out. I have to build up all of my TPs to level 3 or get a penalty? I get another penalty if I build more colonies than my monarch's administrative level? These things are *really* going to impact my play style. I like to use TP's to claim territory, then build level 1 colonies in my coaling stations, and only really focus on building up the colonies that I expect to earn me lots of taxes. Eventually, when I have the money, I just place level 1 colonies everywhere and let them grow naturally. I can't do that anymore. :( Instead, I'm going to have to be very selective about where I'm claiming territory, and how I'm dispatching my colonists. I suspect that there will be a lot more level 3 TPs in this game. I used to only build up my African TPs.

OTOH, I really like the fact that war taxes raise war weariness, and that war weariness doesn't imediately disapear upon the decleration of peace. While that will impact my play style also, I'm not into world conquest, especially not when I'm playing Portugal, so I don't expect it to have a severe impact upon how my game plays out.

I'm also going to have to play the inflation game a little differently: at best, I can reduce it by 0.25% per annum, and gold-inflation kicks in a lot sooner than it used to. The former is better since it remove the "let me put all of my money in the treasury slider, then build one governor a year in one of my many many colonies" cheat. I'm going to have to be *really* careful about gold inflation.

Alexandre

Originally posted by JeremyMacDonald
Seems intersting. I might post some questions regarding some of your descisions as you seem to have put a lot of though into what you feel to be the correct tactic regarding things like inflation. Always interested in picking peoples brains about varous details like that.

That's half of the point of this AAR. I want to explain how I think that one should play Portugal and then let the rest of you take what you feel are useful ideas and incorporate them into your own games. That's certainly how I initially learned a lot of things initially. :)

Alexandre

The North African Crusade

1420 was a good year: in June, the Azores became a full-fledged city, providing me with 0.3 manpower. I immediately set about promoting my bailiff.

In late July, the royal troops captured Fez. I waited till August to make peace so that I could raise war taxes once more. In the Treat of Tangiers, Fez ceded Tangiers to Portugal and acknowledged Portugal as overlord.

It turned out that it was a good thing that I didn’t immediately make peace with Fez since it gave time for Fez to rebuild its city defenses before Morocco issued a declaration of war in September.

Since my war exhaustion was high, I didn’t immediately go to my vassal’s defense. However, I did reposition my forces: I had an infantry army board the Portuguese fleet and set sail for the Moroccan province of Sahara. It would resupply itself on the Canaries.

By December, I entered a Royal Marriage with Barbant: they’d forcibly annexed one of their neighbors, giving us fairly bad relations. Since I don’t expect to go to war with them, getting the relations boost seemed a good idea.

Things did not go so well in 1421. Almost at the beginning of the year, when war exhaustion was still very high, Castile declared war on Granada and asked us to honor our treaty. The Portuguese are honorable people. Of course, we had to fulfill our obligations and declare war, but our Castilian cousins were thoughtless: Portugal was still wracked with unrest and Morocco was trying to seize our vassal. They should have waited till after we’d dealt with our pressing problems before asking us to help them expand their kingdom. In February, I ordered our mixed army in Tangiers to reinforce our infantry in Fez.

On the first of March, the King summoned the Castilian ambassador and informed him that we would honor our commitment. Simultaneously, the commander in Fez gave the Moroccans an ultimatum: withdraw from Fez or face the full might of Portugal. (Declaration of War) Their response was to throw their forces against our superior army. We quickly defeated them, and having raised the siege on our vassals, the army moved on to Toubkal. Meanwhile, the army sailing off of the coast of Sahara disembarked upon that desolate territory.

Meanwhile, our relations with the Orthodox world were in rapid decline: we had no Orthodox subjects, and many restive Moslems in Tangiers, so we were only tolerating Catholicism and Islam. In order to remedy the situation, I arranged royal marriages with Georgia, Novgrod and the Russian minors.

By the beginning of August, the Moroccan forces were destroyed, so I lowered military maintainence back to 50%, encouraging the soldiers to pillage the Saracens for supplies. Given how high the peasant’s war exhaustion was, I did not raise war taxes.

Sahara fell to our forces in December. There was much rejoicing, but we knew that there was at least one more province to the east, yet the locals would not guide us through the mountain passes. (In the political map, I could see an outline of the province in Moroccan grey. Sure, I could have sent the army in Sahara over, but it was an infantry force and would have suffered tremendous attrition.)

Finally, in May, Toubkal fell, and there we found a Berber who was willing to convert to Catholicism and show us the routes across the Saharan desert if we agreed to make him the Count of the eastern province, Anti Atlas. Accepting his offer, we defeated a small Moroccan garrison to seize that arid province in June. Morocco offered us peace: Sahara and Anti Atlas along with 60 gold ducats. We rejected that insulting offer. Instead, we suggested a just and honorable peace: Sahara and Anti Atlas to Portugal, 50 ducats to Portugal, and Morocco accepts Portugal as suzerain. The Moroccan king, rejected that offer, telling us that he still had an army of just over 300 men fleeing to Tassaret, and that his ancestors had frequently accomplished great deeds with fewer men.

That concerned the king mightily since he’d sent traders over to Tassaret to establish a trading post. Our Berber count of Anti Atlas offered to lead a force to Tassaret to capture the renegade Moroccan king. In September, just as the traders were setting up the trading post, he succeeded. Realizing that God was with the Christians, the king of Morocco finally accepted our just and honorable offer.

With the help of the count of Anti Atlas, we sent Portuguese colonists to Anti Atlas, converting the province to Catholicism in February 1423. The environment was awful, and our colonists kept trickling out of that area. It was agreed that we’d keep sending new colonists until we eventually got enough people there that the city would maintain itself (i.e., I’m going to push the population up to 1,000)

The situation in Granada was desperate: the Castilian army had succeeded to seizing the city of Granada from the Moors, but it was destroyed by the Granadian army in Gibraltar. Castile raised another army, and that one was destroyed as well. Then, Castile raised a third army, and lost once again.

The court in Lisbon was in crises: the peasants were increasingly unhappy about the long wars that we were fighting. The nobles had no particular interest in Gibraltar since we were certain that Castile would take it from us as they had taken the Canaries a few years earlier. As things were reaching such a head that we were seriously discussing paying the Moors a small indemnity for peace, we were stunned to receive an emissary from the Emir of Granada offering us a separate peace at the very end of July 1424. We waited a week till August, raised war taxes, and then promptly accepted the Granadian offer.

While we were finally at peace, having gained two formerly Moorish provinces, one formerly Moorish colony, and reduced the Western Moors to vassalage, the peasants remained a problem. The still-Moslem peasantry rose up first in Sahara and then in Tangiers. We sent in the army, but the peasants in Sahara forced us to retreat. The army that we sent into Tangiers did better, crushing the rebellion. But, having heard of the success of the Saharans, the Christian peasants in Oporto rebelled. Like their Saharan counterparts, they survived the initial cavalry charge, though we’d broken the back of the rebellion (reduced them below 5000).

We would need to spend some time in consolidation before we embarked upon our next expansion.

Well, Venice had their wedding to the sea each year. So I guess Venice is the wife, and Portugal only the mistress. Good luck. I find attacking the north African Muslims a waste of troops and gold, as well as stab. And as for colonies, Portugal's 6 movement conquistadors make building colonies relatively easy, despite the penalties.

Originally posted by Gjerg Kastrioti
Well, Venice had their wedding to the sea each year. So I guess Venice is the wife, and Portugal only the mistress.

I'm sure that the sea will end up loving his mistress far more than his wife :D And, unlike Venice, which being married, has to stay faithful to the Mediterranean, as a mistress, Portugal will end up at a minimum taking the Atlantic, Pacific and Indian oceans as lovers as well as the Mediterranean. :D

Good luck. I find attacking the north African Muslims a waste of troops and gold, as well as stab.

I know that my approach to Portugal is a minority view. But, while I understand arguments about Fez (long term, I disagree. I find that owning Tangiers is important since it allows me to control access to the Mediterranean) by permanently placing a fleet there whenever I feel the need to keep enemies bottled up in or out of either the Mediterranean or the Atlantic, I profoundly disagree when it comes to Morocco as you shall shortly see. I don't know if I'll end up convincing you or other players that my approach is better, but at least it'll give you something to think about when you next plan your Portuguese strategy.

Stability is more of an issue. The provinces that I've taken in my North African Crusade aren't particularly wealthy, so they won't make up for it that way. But, I do think that they are going to prove to be strategically important, so I'm willing to accept the rise in stability cost. In any case, once the ducats start rolling in, they'll all be good Catholics and no longer cause a problem. :)

As far as gold goes, well, I agree, gold is a major problem at the moment. It will continue to be a major problem for a while longer. :( But, I've got plans to solve that problem in the not to distant future. :)

And as for colonies, Portugal's 6 movement conquistadors make building colonies relatively easy, despite the penalties.

It's been ages since I last played Portugal (1.03? 1.04? maybe even earlier) Back then there were very few historic Portugese conquistadors. I did get a slew of 3 movement conquistadors by becoming very narrowminded, and they certainly helped, but only to a limited extent. If I start getting 6 movement conquistadors in the next twenty or thirty years, then Portugal is really going to be doing well by 1500 . :)

Alexandre

An interesting approach for playing Portugal. I usually get bored half way through the game as Portugal but I'll be reading this to see how you play it. Good luck. ;)

Joe

The Songhai Crusade

In 1425, Diego de Senill joined the royal service. Since Castile had so recently taken the Canaries from us, we sent him to explore the Western Sea from the Azores on the theory that we would do a better job of defending new discoveries there. Following various sea birds, he saw several islands (Bermuda, the West Indies, the Bahamas) but the winds and currents kept him from making landfall.

In July of 1426, our Moroccan vassal insulted the king, giving us a CB. We decided to overlook the slight and keep focusing on exploration/colonization.

Finally, after many failed attempts to land on some of the islands in the west, de Senill successful put ashore at Guadeloupe. Given the hostility of the natives, we sent a small army over to wipe them out. Then, on August 23, 1427, we established what was to prove to be the first successful European outpost in the New World. As a result of this momentous development, there was significant enthusiasm for the navy nationwide. We got five new galleys out of it.

While in 1429 we started preparing for yet another crusade, that didn’t stop us from establishing the colony of Guadeloupe. Our preparations for war involved both raising a few thousand new cavalry and repositioning men and material in our African territories. Given the overall weak moral of our levies, we freed the peasantry as a reward for their help in the forthcoming crusade. Finally, with all of our forces in position, we formally declared war on Songhai, an African state rich in trade and gold, on the first of December. (NB, this is the only no-CB war that I will declare in the 1400’s as stated in my house rules above.)

Our armed forces were divided into three armies. The first one laid siege to the Songhai capital of Gao. The second army laid siege to Timbuktu, but was defeated by the Songhai army. The few survivors fled back north. Therefore the third army, along with the survivors of the second army, was sent to Timbuktu rather than to the gold province of Bure as initially intended. They defeated the Songhai forces, and laid siege to the city of Timbuktu.

Gao fell in August of 1430, revealing the entire extent of the Songhai kingdom, and the territories of the neighboring states. The successful army moved on to Say.

Timbuktu fell in October. Since the reconstituted Songhai army was stationed in Bure, I sent all three armies to Bure, lifting the siege on Say. For a moment, it looked like the Battle of Bure was touch and go, but a lucky shoot killed the Songhai prince commanding their army leading to the rapid collapse of Songhai moral, and they were routed, with most of the army perishing.

At this point, things stopped going smoothly for Portugal. Castile felt that it needed to keep up with Portugal so declared war on Granada once again. Seeing our successes on Crusade, they asked us to join them in their war even though Granada was reduced to a single province. We agreed, though we had no ability to actually sending men to help since our entire army was occupied with the Songhai Crusade.

Realizing that the entire Portuguese army was miles away, and that Castile was preoccupied with Granada, the Moslem nobles of Tangiers rebelled, seizing control of the city.

Finally, the pagan African states, seeing Portuguese success in the crusade against Songhai, joined the fray, laying siege to Bambuk. We were forced to send Pereira over to take command of that siege least we lose our opportunity to grab that wealthy gold province.

In 1431, Songhai realized that they were going to lose the war, and offered us an insulting 14 gold ducats for peace. Given that we already controlled their capital, the great trading city of Timbuktu, and were close to controlling both gold provinces, we rejected it out of hand.

When Bambuk finally feel in March, they upped their insulting offer to 25 gold ducats. We sent Periera across Bure to lay siege to Say. The natives sent their armies to Bure.

As a result of hostile climate, and harsh conditions, Pereira died in Bure on September 8, 1431. We constructed a magnificent new cathedral over his tomb. But, given the huge native armies that infested the province, attrition was awful. Portugal lost some seven or eight thousand men in the twelve odd months that it took to win the siege. Songhai offered us the grand total of 89 gold ducats for peace.

In November, we discovered to coast of Reife, but couldn’t find any hospitable harbours.

Late 1432 was another bad year: a plague hit Oporto in June, and in December, rebels forced our garrison out of Bambuk. Given the timely fall of Bure, we immediately sent our armies back west, and laid siege on the province before they were able to rebuild their defenses. We regained control of Banbuk in February 1433.

After many attempts, we finally discovered Cape Verde in March 1434. Two months later, Zaria fell. Songhai was out our mercy. We waited a few months to make peace, so that we could raise war taxes in August. The Peace of Goa was a difficult negotiation. We really wanted to take Timbuktu, Bure and Bambuk and leave the other provinces to a vassal Songhai kingdom. But, the Songhai refused. (I’d have needed a score of about 150 to pull it off) We finally compromised on a peace in which we stripped Songhai of all provinces except for Goa. (I went this route, instead of limiting myself to the CoT and gold provinces because, even in occupation of the gold provinces, I was suffering serious inflation.)

While Portugal was back at peace, things were not looking rosy: rebels were in control of Tangiers. Our reputation in Europe had taken a beating because we were gaining so much wealth from crusade (BB of 15.9). Gold inflation was eating away at our economy (gold inflation of 0.44). Fez had declared war on Morocco, despite both nations being Moors, and both being our vassals. Our army was in tatters. It would have enough trouble holding onto our new conquests, and was in no position to deal with the Tangiers crises. (I ended up raising a new army to do that.)

Hmm, it's not really the mistress of the seas. More the Portugese Reconquistadore visit West Africa. But still we worth a read. I hope the gold inflastion doesn't kill you. You may have to take over Spain just to get the percentage of gold income down.

Originally posted by Gjerg Kastrioti
Hmm, it's not really the mistress of the seas. More the Portugese Reconquistadore visit West Africa.

Give me a chance; it's only the 1430's. ;)

But still we worth a read.

Thanks. I'll post the next chapter as soon as I can make the time for it. It should be in the next day or two. I've still got to flesh the notes out into something readable.

I hope the gold inflastion doesn't kill you.

I'm really confused by inflation in 1.07. It doesn't seem very connected to how much money I'm making in my other provinces. I'm sure that after I play a few times I'll start to figure out how to do things better.

You may have to take over Spain just to get the percentage of gold income down.

I can't -- house rules prohibit me from declaring war on a Catholic nation. I'm hopping that Castile will end up dragging me into a few well-timed wars against Aragon. But so far, everything is quiet on that front.:(

Alexandre

The Long Peace

Things didn’t get any better in 1435. Fez lost the stupid war that it had declared on Morocco, and got annexed by Morocco for her folly. That concerns me because I’ve found that one province vassals are far more loyal than two province vassals.

Having increased into a two province minor, Morocco then promptly declared war on Algeria. That was cause for even more concern: if Morocco loses that war then a monster Algeria would border Portuguese Tangiers and be in a position to threaten Portuguese West Africa if she got military access through Morocco. Looking at my very weak military position, widespread problem with nationalism, and monetary problems, I reluctantly decided that a monster Algeria just is a threat that I’ll have to risk.

Despite the successful conquest of the Songhai heartland, our weak armies in Africa were kept busy full time crushing constant nationalist and religious rebellions. In May, the rebellions got so bad that rebels actually seized control of Bambuk.

On a brighter note, in June Portugal succeeded in setting up a colony in Cape Verde. That colony will be used as the staging port for the further exploration of the West African coast.

On August 16th, Diego de Senill died. He was buried with much pomp on Cape Verde, the last island that he successfully discovered. A cathedral was commissioned to be built over his tomb.

October was a very busy month: following the lead of the natives in Bambuk, the natives in Timbuktu rebelled, the Baltic merchants founded a new CoT in Danzig, and Tangiers finally fell to royal forces. The ringleaders of the Tangiers rebellion were executed.

1436 was a year for major colonization breakthroughs: Guadalupe became a city in March, followed by Anti Atlas in October.

With the successful colonizations of 1436, gold inflation fell to 0.29% in 1437. Total inflation stood at a still reasonable 6.3%. In November Anti Atlas reached a population of 1077 and positive growth for the first time since I took it from Morocco.

In 1438, gold inflation jumped back up to 0.42% (when I have time, I’m going to have to play with the new inflation model. Either I really don’t understand it, or else something is fundamentally broken), while total inflation climbed up to 7.2% (Total inflation is growing faster than gold inflation because I’m putting money into the treasury so that I can build up my colonies faster and thereby cut gold inflation sooner, leading to lower total inflation long term. My experience with inflation in this game is different than in previous ones since gold inflation kicks off so much sooner, and with so much more vengeance. In the old inflation model, building a few mayors would rapidly deal with all of my inflation. We’ll see how well I can handle inflation reductions when I hit the requisite infrastructure.)

Afonso V assumed the throne on 11 September.

Gold inflation went up again in 1439 – it reached .43% with my total inflation reaching 8%. I went fully naval for improved trade efficiency so that building new TPs is cheaper and easier. The extra colonists aren’t a bad side effect so long as I’m willing to take the extra inflation that pushing some of my monthly revenues into the treasury. Right now, I am since I think that I need to kill the gold inflation problems ASAP.

A pretender to the Ashanti throne arrived at the court. I gave him 50 gold ducats in support, but ended up incorporating the 7000 troops who fled with him into the Portuguese army rather than use them to conquer Ashanti. I refused to actually declare war on Ashanti because the old Songhai territories are still seething with rebellions, my BB is high, and the high attrition rates of those pagan African provinces mean that a country with Portugal’s low manpower is hard pressed to bring such a war to a successful conclusion. I’m sure that I’ll eventually bring that territory to heal, just not right now.

In 1440, local officials stopped enforcing some ordinances. While that makes technology more expensive, it also makes Portugal less vulnerable to war exhaustion, so probably isn’t a bad thing as I start to fight colonial wars. Gold inflation went down to 0.41%, with my total inflation hitting 9%.

In 1441 gold inflation remained at 0.41 with a total inflation of 9.7

Cape Verde became a full city, and the cathedral built on Diego de Senill’s tomb was completed. I therefore abandoned my so far futile attempts to discover Fernando Po. (I like to use my explorers to build up their home port when they stop for resupplies.)

In 1442, gold inflation declined to 0.37%, and total inflation hit 10.5%. I’m beginning to get a little concerned about total inflation. It has been *very* hard to reduce gold inflation, and at this rate I’m going to have to spend the better part of a century reducing my inflation if I’m not lucky enough to get a few deflationary events.

In 1443 gold inflation remained 0.37, and total inflation hit 11.3.

In 1444, enthusiasm for the navy brought me five new warships.
Gold inflation remained at 0.37, while total inflation hit 12.3.
I renewed the Castilian alliance upon its expiration.

Massive plagues hit the gold provinces of Bure and Bambuk in 1445. On the positive side, those losses led to a decline in gold inflation to 0.35%. (This has got to be the first time that I’ve actually welcomed plagues.)

1446, gold inflation declined once more to 0.34%.

In the Alfonsian Ordinances, I went for less corruption, increasing the basic tax value of Operto and Sahara by +1 each. (In both historical and random events I almost always choose the options that give me long-term advantages. I consider changed slider settings a medium-term benefit and extra cash or armies a short-term benefit.)

Once again, Castile declared war on Granada, and I honored their alliance. Given that Granada has been reduced to a one province minor, I don’t expect them to survive.
With the increasing size of the Portuguese empire, and the wealth pouring in from our gold mines in West Africa and the sugar plantations in the West Indies, capital attraction led to 3,000 new people moving to our capital and raised our tax base by +1.

1447 gold inflation fell to 0.32%.
With the growing Portuguese presence in the West Indies, Portugal overtook the Maya Empire as the world’s largest sugar producer.

On July 21, Gil Eanes discovered Fernando Po. Plans for its colonization were immediately made.
Royal fortification efforts created a level one fort in Anti Atlas
Castile finally annexes Granada, but given my luck, did so just before I was going to raise war taxes.

1448 In the Duke of Combira: I chose the Duke survives
My land tech hit late Medieval (2) despite Portugal not having invested a single ducat in Land Tech. (It’s been a long time since I played a Latin Tech country – I forgot how easy they are.)
Gold inflation continued to decline, hitting 0.31%.
On July 21st, I successfully colonized Fernando Po, but Gil Eanes death on September 27, 1448 stopped my hoped for further exploration of the African coast. Portugal will now focus on building up colonies on the known islands in the hope that we can soon get rid of our gold inflation problem.
Morocco diplomatically insulted us. Once again, we failed to react to the insult.

In 1449, I went narrow minded for the colonists.
Gold inflation fell to 0.30%
But, the real news was in the Papal States, where the Roman masses stormed the Vatican and threw the Pope out. That embarrassing episode doesn’t auger well for the prestige of the Church.

In 1450 gold inflation fell to 0.29%, but total inflation stood at a disturbingly high 15.9%
Tangiers nationalism finally came to an end.
Portugal’s reputation within Europe has improved. While we aren’t seen as a particularly nice country (tarnished reputation -- 13.7 BB) we aren’t seen as a particularly bad one either.

Morocco, having twice tested Portuguese resolve with diplomatic insults and not been punished for it, broke her vassalage. There was extensive dispute within the court whether Morocco should be punished for that since letting her go free would mean that Portugal has to forfeit the 13.2 gold ducat tribute last year. While initially the king had wanted to punish the uppity Moroccans, his prime minister pointed out that the cost of holding that territory down was probably going to come out to more than 13.2 gold ducats, and would only serve to divert Portugal’s attention to the more lucrative opportunities across the Western ocean.

But, that sage advice did not hold so well in the Court of Castile which was still bent upon North African crusades, and our relations fell 100 points (Scandal at court) 65.

In 1451 gold inflation fell to 0.28%.

Having reached Late Renaissance Infrastructure (3), I moved my investments to trade tech since Portugal doesn’t have any serious enemies, but I’m actively second guessing my decision and may switch to Naval or Land investments instead if the international situation seems to warrant it.
Given the increasing wealth of Portugal, I’m switching to a new colonization model: every year, I’ll colonize one rich province (i.e., a sugar island in the West Indies) and one strategically important province, whether in the West Indies or elsewhere.
As periodically happens in any reign, we had to crush a revolt in Algrave. (Unprovoked revolt).
Dahomey harassed some Portuguese merchants. I escalated the complaint to save 300 in trade investment.

I’m still in the process of deciding if I want to take up the CB and try and conquer a pagan empire in Western Africa. Dahomey is part of a massive pagan alliance. If I were to win that war, I’d gain a huge swath of Africa, ripe for easy conversions to Christianity. But, the attrition will be awful, my army really isn’t that big, and it takes years to gain the manpower to build new armies.

An indulgence peddler in Say and Zaria reduced those Moslem provinces tax bases by 1 each. I had no idea that they had enough Catholics in them for an indulgence peddler to affect the tax base that severely.

I am enjoying your quite different approach as Portugal. Be sure of that!

Are you planning to go early to Brazil? That could help to solve your inflation trouble.

And are we going to have some screenshots?

I am enjoying your quite different approach as Portugal. Be sure of that!

Thanks! :)

Are you planning to go early to Brazil? That could help to solve your inflation trouble.

Well, more the West Indies, though my next exploration will probably be along the Brazilian coastline -- I prefer going to the Spice Islands from the West than from the East. Of course, it is a good thing to also develop a strong foothold in Southern Africa and the various islands to its east since they make very good areas from which to take on Oman.

I'm begining to think that I made a mistake starting off playing Portugal in 1.07 given the changes in inflation. ;) But, really, it does make for a far harder, and thus more realistic, game. :D

And are we going to have some screenshots?

I suppose that could be done. Do you have any suggestions for a good place to host them?

Alexander

P.S., the next chapter should come out today or Tuesday -- I actually had time to play yesterday :D - so it's only a question of writing it up.

P.P.S. hope that you enjoyed your winter vacation. Now, that is a weird thing to say in the middle of the summer.;)

Originally posted by Alexandre
I suppose that could be done. Do you have any suggestions for a good place to host them?[/B]

The screenshots of my AAR are all hosted on Yahoo! Geocities. I made an web page there just as an excuse to have a place to host the screenthots.

After taking the screenies, be sure to convert them to .JPG. And, if you plan to host on Geocities like me, after converting, rename them as .TXT. Geocities has a protection mechanism that doesn't allow hosted pictures to be loaded from outside, but it works if you rename them as .TXT like I did.

The screenshots of my AAR are all hosted on Yahoo! Geocities. I made an web page there just as an excuse to have a place to host the screenthots.

After taking the screenies, be sure to convert them to .JPG. And, if you plan to host on Geocities like me, after converting, rename them as .TXT. Geocities has a protection mechanism that doesn't allow hosted pictures to be loaded from outside, but it works if you rename them as .TXT like I did.

Thanks! I'll do that.

Alexandre

Portugal at the End of the Long Peace

Portugal at the end of the Long Peace

This shows the extent of the Portugese Empire at the end of the Long Peace, just before the outbreak of the Benin Crusade.

portugal1454a.txt

Portugal in the West Indies

portugal1454b.txt

Europe 1454

Notice the huge Sweden
portugal1454c.txt

Last edited: