• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
For my next AAR(being the utterly conceited, vetern AAR-God that I am :D), I'll be doing a game as Naples. My goal is to unify the Italian pennisula and as much of the Mediterreanan as possible under the banner of the Kingdom of Naples. This will bring me into direct conflict with most of Italy, Aragon, the Knights, Cyprus, Venice, and the Ottoman Empire, just to name a few.

I'll be playing under 1.07(no betas) with the Alternate Grand Campaign. No real tweaks, except I've added a CoT in Napoli just to give me a bit of an income boost.

I'm going to do some further research on Napolian history and then start the AAR sometime over the weekend. Any suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:
try now

its pretty recent, midway down the forums first page.

The Kingdom of Naples, as it existed during the early 1400's, was merely one of the many Italian kingdoms that existed during that period. Although Napoli itself was a large and suitably busy mercantile city, the Neapolitans themselves lacked the merchant traditions of Venice or Genoa.

In 1419, an Italian aristocrat named Andre Galachio made his way from northern Italy-possibly Savoy or Genoa-and used a small family fortunate to establish himself in the royal court of Naples. During that time the reigning monarch was Queen Joanna II, last of the Angevins to hold the Neapolitan throne- shortly after her death Rene, Duke of Anjou, Bar, and Lorraine, took power- before being deposed by an Aragonese mercenary captain sent by Alfonso V to claim the throne of Naples. However, after deposing Rene and exiling him to Lorraine, the mercenary captain claimed the name Alfonso I, defied the King of Aragon, and proclaimed himself sole ruler of Naples. His lineage would rule continue to rule the kingdom for the rest of it's history. In the early 1400's the kingdom was a fairly backwards, uninfluential state; Queen Joanna II had to rely on a complex network of family ties in order to govern her realm.

An understanding of the Galachio family is critical to understanding Neapolitan history. Andre himself was not terribly interested in court politics, but his son, Lorenzo, immersed himself into the royal court and established the Galachio family as a substanial aristocratic power in Naples. The family's influenence waxed and waned over the years, finally coming to an end with the death of Andre Galachio III.

Fortunetly for historians everywhere, the original Andre kept something of a diary from his arrival in Napoli to his retirement from public life in 1443. His diary mostly contained little blurbs about his own personal life and thoughts, but he would often devote a few lines to reporting and speculating on current events. Lorenzo would take this in the opposite direction, writing little about his personal life but dutifully recording every facet of Neapolitan politics. Thus, a tradition was born, and every important Galachio thereafter kep a diary of current events.

It is interesting to note that, although Andre is credited with establishing the Galachio family in Naples, it is Lorenzo who is seen as the most important Galachio. For it is he who brought them their first real power and influence, and it was he who ensured that the Galachios would continue as a small family, with few or no branching aunts, uncles, cousins and nephews- for this reason, the Galachios wielded power equal to the larger Neapolitan families but never grew to more than six people. This aspect helped them become crucial in the later consolidation of power in the monarchy.

Enclosed below are the most important journals of the Galachios; they provide fascinating insight into the history and culture of early Naples.

Last edited:
Yea, he was still posting when i for pointed that out. You try to stick up for some one and they disappear on you. Ah well.

It should be noted that these are not the entirety of the journals of the Galachios. They are merely the most relevant ones, often recorded at the end of the month, and many segments relating entirely to personal lives have been cut out. The Galachios did not reliably date their diaries so it is nearly impossible to have any sort of handle on the exact day on which they were written.

THE DIARIES OF ANDRE GALACHIO I, 1419-1443

January
...get that damn stableboy back someday. Of course, the entirety of the city is not, fortunetly, comprised of squalid thieves; I have taken the time to tour the upper-crust regions extensively and here this place compares to Venice and Vienna.

It does not compare altogether favorably, but it compares.

It seems I arrived in court in the midst of some disruptions. The Queen and her consort announced that training is to be improved for all future recruits in the Neapolitan armies; further, they have requistioned funds for improved weapons and equipment for the army. Shortly thereafter it was announced that the army was marching to the southern province where it would be permenantly garrisoned. She has also announced a reorganization of the taxation system in the province of Napoli proper. I would imagine the nobility would grumble about such measures, but evidently the Queen has sought their approval and relies on them to carry out her wishes in this matter.

I went out to the square and watched the marching men with some delight. I must admit, this may be a backwards country but the pomp and circumstance which they can muster is the equal of any in Europe. The parade consumed the entirety of the day, but the next afternoon I was able to tour the markets of the city; they are quite impressive, for I was able to find men and women from all of Italy, the Balkans, even heathen Africa, although there were a distinct lack of Neapolitans.

My adventures in this city were not entirely limited to tourism. I have become acquainted with a few nice court ladies, and in the coming months....

May
It is not right to express one's pleasure with a failure of the government. I know this because I have never met a lord yet who has said otherwise. But I must confide in these pages some small satisifaction at the recent failing of Queen Joanna, Second of Her Name. The lord of Tuscany has rejected the proposed marriage of Oliva Baliceno to one of his sons. I am frankly baffled by this rejection, as Oliva Baliceno is lovely in every possible aspect, but frankly I am not overly distraught at the notion of her remaining at court...

September
...my protests would be ignored, so of course I did not bother. Still, I cannot fault the lord of Siena's taste, and I suppose the marriage between his nephew and Lady Beliceno will cement ties between the two kingdoms. Of course, this means I am available once more, and we must wait and see what the tides bring in...

March
I am cursed. Io Vincislaus has been cruelly dispatched to faraway Genoa, promised to one the lordlings of that fair city. The court expressed some sympathies over my loss, but I shall find something- or preferably someone- to console myself with.

May
The month has been quite fascinating, all told. The ball was, of course, a wonderful event, and I must plan to attend future events. A banquet has been planned, to celebrate the joining of much of Italy into a grand alliance. I will, of course, attend. I have already planned which stories I shall regale my fellow lords and ladies with; having traveled in Genoa, Savoy, and Modena has prepared me admirably to comment on their relative merits. Now that Naples has been tied to these three kingdoms the entire city is in good spirits. My considerable good fortune at the race track is burning a hole in my pocket, and I have considered purchasing a nice estate in the southern provinces.

Of course, military pomp is always exciting to see, and just the other day the entire city was witness to an interesting display. Thirty men on horseback gallop into the square and announce that the lords of Siena have begun to war with all the Papacy. Though many of the great families have expressed their disaproval often and vocally, I must admit that I am not terrible worried about our most Christian Father. I do hope Oliva is alright.

July
...and thirty more men bringing news that Tuscany has come to the defense of the Holy City. The court prays for a swift victory, and expresses their hopes of a quick, painless war...

September
The city is in chaos! The patriarchs and lesser families are on the verge of openly defying the Queen and many of the rural lords have refused to come to court. The war with the House of Aragon has caught us all by suprise, the Queen rescinding the rescindment of her precessador, or something to that effect, and essentially claiming all of the island of Sicily for the Kingdom of Naples.

Good for her! I have heard that all of northeastern Italy rallies to our banner; Aragon is surely incapable of winning alone and the aid of the various French principalities can avail them nothing. Much of the court disagrees with me, unfortunetly, and there are whisperings of 'The Mad Queen Joanna'. That stupid bastard Marchio Gisauldo has even challenged me to a duel, on the grounds that my 'influence' has 'poisoned' the Queen's mind.

He is quite mad. I have never spoken with the Queen, but two days hence he shall speak with God. Preferably unprepared.

October
Public favor seems to be swinging back in support of the Queen; judging by the reactions of the lower classes. News from the front has finally reached the city, and glorious news it is! Messina under siege and the city of Palermo cut off from all outside help. The Queen looks as if she is walking on eggshells, and every day there is some new dinner with the lords from the outlands, as she tries to wheedle and needle from them the actions she requires.

December
News of great victory over Aragon has found it's way back to the capital along with the first heroes of the war. The most prominent is a lower-class young man, a foot soldier, who, it is said, singlehandly killed six Aragonese knights and held the 'line'- whatever that refers to- at a crucial moment. By all accounts he is quite handsome and the court ladies are all aflutter. With luck he is recalled to the front quickly.

January
The Queen has decreed that a flotilla of ships- galleys, to be precise- will be constructed in the shipyards of Naples. I went down to the shipyards with a coterie of friends to see the hulls being raised; they are not much now, but I am certain that, once completed, they will be beautiful vessels.

March
Finally! A girl sent off to a foreign land is one I am unacquainted with. May the lords of Modena favor her.

More news from the war. Sicily stubbornly resists our invasions but all the coast of Aragon is blockaded by the stalwart navies of Savoy and Genoa. Truly they are grand allies, and a banquet is to be held by Loysoius in their honor. I was of course the first to be invited, being his greatest friend and all, but I expect...

June
...sad, but I do hope he recovers shortly.

The rest of us, of course, did not waste time in going down to witness the launching of the four new ships; the Byzantium, the Charlemagne, the Lancelot , and of course the Queen Joanna II. They are truly beautiful ships, and the sight of a hundred oars cutting white swaths through the water is a breathtaking sight...

October
The curse is well and truly broken! I was half-expecting the King of Castile to personally request my treasured Giovanna, so imagine my suprise when the daughter of some outland family was sent to join the houses of Naples and Castile in matrimonal union. A fortuitious event for all involved, truly, and the ceremonies help take our minds off the war. Little news from the front, unfortunetly, aside from reports of skirmishes in northeastern Italy. This does not prevent the Queen from taxing us to near-ruination; just four days past I recieved words that half the silverware had been taken from my estate in the southern provinces. I am beginning to hear 'Mad Queen Joanna' once more, and perhaps I being to agree with the voices...

I love the style(perticularly his pension for women :D), you keep writing ill keep reading.

January

...Queen has announced plans for the minting of coins. The announcement caused a flurry of discussion which I am afraid I was not entirely able to grasp; advanced economics has never been my strong suit. There were apparently two sides to the conflict, one supporting the minting of coins as a quick and easy way to boost the economy, the other decrying it as a road to eventual ruin. It nearly came to blows.

But other decrees have been issued as well. The Queen has called upon three thousand men to come forth and take up arms as knights of the realm. The great families of Naples have been more than generous in supplying such fine soldiery; the ladies of the court are quite dazzled with the spectacle but Giovanna remains true as ever despite the sudden glut of polished young men strutting about the city. Perhaps I shall be forced to duel one.

We also recieved word that the lords of Siena have bent the knee to the Pope and acknowledged his supremacy and suzerainety. This extension of the Pope's influence- his effective vassalization of Siena- has serious implications for the future.

Now I sound like stuffy old Victor. I must end my writing; my page has arrived with a fresh doublet and I shall have to inspect the handiwork.

May

...but the unfortunate loss of my tailor is not the only sad news. Word has come that the duchy of Piemonte in Savoy has been sacked by the Aragonese and the city captured. Grave news indeed; there was little merriment at Serina's ball. That in and of itself is a harsh blow, for....

August

An entire carriage of gold! The Pope will almost certainly be pleased, but I would not think that you could buy the affection of God's own manifest viceroy...

November

Much celebration is to be had this day! Provence has fallen to the armies of Genoa and Savoy; they have been forced out of this war and their passing has been marked by the lords of all France. I shall drink and dance until the long hours of the night!

I worry though, about Giovanna; she complains of cramps and nausea, and I do hope she feels better in time for the banquet, it would be truly...

Is someone expecting? Or is my grasp on indicators about pregnecy lacking.

Interesting. I'll have to keep an eye on this one.

I don't noramlly reply to AARs that much(which is hypocritical when you cosnier how much I rage when no one replies to mine), however I hust wanted to let you know that I really love this one and its writting style. Good job!

January

...nice, long walk. I have heard that the wood for the Queen's three new galleys has been brought from afar, and that a dozen guilds in the kingdom are competing for the honor of working the lumber.

A grand parade is to be held in celebration of a new Neapolitan victory; word has come that the commander of the garrison in Messina has laid down his arms and opened the city up to the Queen's troops. The parade will last for six hours and then a dozen banquets are to be held amongst the great families of the cities. I shall have to sit down with Giovanna and decide which we shall attend and which we shall not; which families we have earned the affection of, which families we should snub, which families we should shore up our relations with, the like. I must contrive to steal a menu from one of these feasts; after all, I hope to avoid any more 'roasted goat' incidents.

I am disturbed, however, by floating whispers of 'Mad Queen Joanna'. The victory has eased the hearts of many, but still there is the incessant taxation...

March

The outland families have risen up in revolution! A dozen families have gathered to them many thousands of followers and proclaimed the Queen unfit to rule. But there is little panic, as the knights-in-training keep the city in check. The Queen has denounced the revolutionaries openly and life goes on much as it has. We have word of a large host marching northward to crush the rebellion.

Victor says that the 'social conditions in which insurrections prosper can be exagerrated by judicious application of foreign intrusions over which the populace has no extended control'.

Giovanna has promptly checked him off the list of potentional godfathers. I do not think we want our child to ever sound like that.

June

...Lorenzo, which both Giovanna and I think is a splendid name. We have recieved many compliments on his appearence and he certainly seems to be a bright and inquisitive child.

With the rebellions crushed, the Queen has announced that no new coins will be turned out by the royal mints. If she wanted to stop making money I don't see why she didn't cease this infernal taxation; one of Lorenzo's rattles was seized because it contained a small silver lining. Absurd.

Of course, the grief this has inflicted upon us is somewhat alleviated by grand news. The Queen has made the fall of Palermo official knowledge; now all of Sicily is again under Neapolitan control. Good for them; perhaps this war can end and Giovanna will not have my fountain pens whenever someone knocks on the door.

September

...I half-expected a dozen balls to spring up in celebration of the withdrawal of Auvernge from the war, but the native Neapolitians seem to be congratulating themselves less and less with each successive victory; or it could simply be that no one has the means to celebrate. I lost four more fountain pens last night and only through Lorenzo's tricky guile did he succeed in hiding his copper building blocks. The boy is a genius.

Or perhaps the mediocre victory has been tempered by truly bad news. We have had news of the surrender of Torino to French and Aragonese armies; the Duke de Savoy has left the war and been forced to pay an expensive tribute. France and Aragon have lost two ineffectual allies during this war; the Neapolitians have lost one they can ill afford to lose. I suspect that is the real reason Queen Joanna's triumphant announcement sounded rather less than triumphant.

October

If only Lorenzo were old enough to be let out of the house! I know he would have enjoyed the spectacle of three thousand armored, gleaming knights upon three thousand ferocious stallions riding out of the city in brilliant columns, with all banners flying and the colors of Naples at their head.

Giovanna wished to attend, but of course she could not, so I went with...

with whom? Don't do that to me!:)