• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(13963)

Sergeant
Jan 21, 2003
Visit site
Welcome to Imperium Universalis my second AAR, though this one is going to be more fiction like than Beneath the Ottomans. I'm going to be playing as the Papal States, though the nation will be called The Imperium during the AAR. All of the characters will be rolled up thus giving the game a little more of an RPG flavor. If your intrested in submitting a character just add a reply of what kind of character you want to be; King, General, Nobility, Admiral, Conquistidor, Explorer, or average dude looking for work. Also give a time frame you want to be included in this story line. They only times that really can't be used are early 1400's early to mid 1500's and the 1800's. I'm planning on editing the flies on Sunday June 8th around noon EST. So submit a character with their personality and stick around for the story.

Any need for a drunken and farting Bishop?..:D
This guy..Bodo Brauche probably got sacked as Archbishop of Livonia...or something..;)

Bish.jpg

Well..let´s say he is born around 1512..Worked as a catholic priest and bishop in Livonia..but sacked in 1540..accused of excessive lifestyle..with drinking..and general rudeness...now..a disoriented figure, drifting around in the numerous bars in Rome, but always impersonating the important man he once was...

Count Emmanuel Alberto di Tarquinia (1587-1644), leader of the armies of the Imperium 1621-1639. Reserved during peacetime, he is a both agressive and intelligent general. He is careful to stay out of politics enough to keep from risking his position. However, he seems unable to use his cavalry to their fullest potential.

(Recommended stats: Shock-1 Fire-5 Movement-3 Siege-2)

(If you want to, you can include his son, Carlo Emmanuel di Tarquinia (1620-1649), a brainless twit who consistently was defeated in battle and finally got himself executed by plotting against the government. Shock-1 Fire-1 Movement-2 Siege-0)

Admiral Michael O'Floinn. Born in 1593, he despises galleys and uses cannons to batter apart his enemies. He hates the English and drinks like a true Irishman. He's a Catholic.

For stats, he should have high movement and fire, but fairly low shock.

(If you want to, you can include his son, Carlo Emmanuel di Tarquinia (1620-1649), a brainless twit who consistently was defeated in battle and finally got himself executed by plotting against the government. Shock-1 Fire-1 Movement-2 Siege-0)

With an intro like that, I have got to take his son.

Dad! Dad!

:D

Preface

Imperium Universalis: Preface

It started nearly 1,000 years ago in dying days of a mighty empire. Petty kings gnawed away to carve out small kingdoms from the Old Empire. Yet one man did not have a kingdom of his own. His greed and drove him to the verge of insanity. He managed to conquer the remaining parts of the empire and depose the child emperor. However the true successors of the empire sought to destroy the new kingdom. For nearly 20 years they fought until the man surrendered to the true successors. With their victory, a new age of prosperity was about to begin. With his defeat, his descendents would bide their time rebuild his shattered kingdom.

Now nearly 1,000 years later at the end of the Dark Age a man learns about his true heritage. Armed with a determination to reforge the past and a few thousand volunteers; he and his descendents plan to restore the kingdom of his predecessor. The established order of Europe will be shattered through the chaos of war and intrigue of politics. Thousands would die in the triumphs and tragedies and in victories and defeats of the Imperium.

Another Roman Empire. Interesting. I shall have to keep my eye on this one!

Prologue

Imperium Universalis Prologue: Preserving his Dream, Odoacer’s Sacrifice

493 A.D. Northern Italy

A single man sat alone on his horse on top of the hill watching the battle unfold below. For nearly 20 years he and his troops had fought to secure his kingdom yet, the true successors of the Roman Empire, the Byzantines opposed his right to rule Rome and Italy. The so-called King of Italy knew that his days were numbered. It would only be a matter of time before his enemies would come for him. He did not believe that his forces could win the day. Yet he realized the events of the next few minutes would determine his fate, but not the fate of his offspring.

“Odaocer! Odoacer!” A voice shouted from the king’s right side. “Sire I bring most disturbing news from the valley below.”
“Yes I see the carnage in the valley below.” Odoacer said as he turned his head around and saw General Antionius Septerius riding to his position. “What troops do we have in reserve?”
“The reserves?” Septerius said in a quivering voice. “Our reserves have already been deployed. The battle goes against us. The Byzantines are about to over run us. It will be only a matter of time before they arrive here and capture us. My lord you must flee.”
“Flee?” Odoacer questioned. “Flee to where? Rome is not safe. There is now where to go.”
“You sound as if you have been defeated already.” Septerius said. He stopped and surveyed the ongoing battle again. He noticed that the Byzantines had broken through the center of Odoacer’s line. “Surely you mean to fight on?”
“No our fate has already been sealed. As of 16 years ago, when we deposed Romulus Augustus the last Emperor of the Western Roman Empire, Our lives changed.” Odoacer paused to look his Septerius’s face. The general realized that his life was going to end soon. “We dared to be bold. And our boldness cost us our freedom and lives.”
“Surely the Byzantines will not kill us so soon after the battle?” Septerius asked.
“And why not?” Odoacer snapped back. “We ended almost 1,000 years of Roman rule. We replaced civilization with chaos. No the Byzantines will not have any remorse or pity for us. By sunset we shall be dead.”
“If you believe this to be true then maybe we should just sit back and accept what is coming for us.” Septerius said. “Do they know about the Pope?”
“You mean our little arrangement with the Pope of the Christian Church?” Odoacer turned toward Septerius and smiled. “Yes, He knows his part of the deal.”
“Then the future is not as grim as it appears my friend.” Septerius returned.
“We are fighting for the future.” Odoacer began. He pointed at the battlefield. “Only when Byzantium is weak and when its influence is weaning will the time be right.”
“Do you think Byzantium will fall?”
“Only time will tell.” Odoacer paused. “The Pope as assured me that my family will be protected from the Byzantines and all others. He is the only who has the power to save them. Their survival ensures that my dream and my kingdom will survive.”
“Well it looks like you have everything covered.” Septerius started. “Is there anyway for your decedents to reveal themselves when the time is right.”
“You never miss anything Septerius.” Odoacer said. “I have left a parchment with the Pope. When my descendants find it; they will know their heritage, and fight to reclaim it. Now it is time for us to go forward to our glorious end.”
“Yes, I will follow you to the gates of Hell and back!” Septerius shouted and drew his sword. “For your glory! King of Italy!”
“Onward! My death brings salvation for our future!” Odoacer said.

Both men mounted on horses charged down the hill toward the battle. They knew that they were not coming back. Behind them the setting sun obscured the Byzantine soldiers of Odoacer’s and Septerius’s approach. Yelling like banshees the two men threw themselves into the heat of battle. The situation was hopeless. Outnumbered and outclassed by their Byzantine opponents, Odoacer’s Army was defeated that afternoon. By dusk Odoacer was dead. The setting sun had sealed his fate. However, nearly 1,000 years later a descendent of Odoacer would make the shattering discovery of his past and attempt to reforge the bonds of Odoacer’s kingdom.

Session 1

Imperium Universalis Session 1: Links to the Past

Rome Italy, January 1419

A young man sat alone in the dwindling candlelight reading over ancient manuscripts and parchments from the past centuries. He was fascinated by the history of Rome and Medieval Europe. On this night he was reading passages from the final days of the Roman Empire. The vaulted door opened up and a lone figure entered the room. He was dressed in a simple brown robe and was bald. The young man looked up from his books and greeted the visitor.

“Father Dennis, what brings you down here at this time of night?” The man said. “I shall be leaving shortly I just need to finish reading about Romulus Augustus and Odoacer.”
“You know you shouldn’t be here at this time of night alone Alarac.” Father Dennis said. “You are not part of the order. The only reason why I let you in here to read is because the Pope has given you special permission to enter this chamber.”
“That is one thing that I do not understand also.” Alarac said with a puzzled look on his face.
“Hasn’t your father or grandfather or anyone else ever told you about your family?” said Father Dennis as he sat down in the chair next to Alarac. “Then again your family has never expressed any interest in the collection here.”
“What does my family have to do with this?” Alarac said.
“Absolutely. Your family has no significance here.” Father Dennis lied. Pope Martinus gave Father Dennis strict orders to keep a constant watch on Alarac. Unlike his father who did not have a passion for history, his son would spend many hours down in the dank archives reading over manuscripts from the previous 1,000 years. Martinus was afraid that Alarac may learn about the truth about his family’s heritage.
“It must be getting late Dennis. Maybe I should retire until tomorrow then.” Alarac said as he stretched his arms. “Then again. Father what do you know of the last Roman Emperor Romulus Augustus?”
“Not too much. All I really know is that he was only a child when a barbarian general took his throne.” Father Dennis responded.
“Odoacer.” Alarac said before Father Denis could finish his sentence. He closed the manuscript and was about to place it on the shelf when a piece of parchment fell from it. Alarac knelt down and began to read it. His arms started to tremble as he read it. “Dennis have you ever seen this before?”
“No.”
“I’ve just finished reading it and it says that Odoacer’s family did survive the Byzantine occupations after his death. And the Pope is the one responsible for this.” Alarac said. He was dismayed and did not understand what the parchment meant. “I want to see the Pope now. Take me to him immediately.”
“Alarac surely you do not mean to wake the Pope from his slumber.” Father Dennis said in a weak voice. “Are you sure that it cannot wait until morning.”
“No it cannot Dennis.” Alarac said.
“But-.”
“It cannot wait I mist know the truth right now Dennis.” Alarac interrupted. “I am going to the Pope now and you are coming with me.”
Alarac manhandled Father Dennis out of the room. Father Dennis implored and pleaded with Alarac to stop. However, Alarac knew that there was some kind of conspiracy between the Popes and Odoacer’s descendents. He slung Father Dennis over his shoulder and walked toward the Pope’s chambers. They were outside of Pope Martinus’s bed chamber and Alarac was about to open the doors when Father Dennis and the main servant tried to restrain him.

“What is the meaning of interpreting my sleep?” Pope Martinus demanded as he flung open the doors of his bed chamber. He saw Father Dennis and his head servant on the floor. Both men scrambled to their feet and saluted him. “I said what is going on out here.”
“It is HIM, Martinus.” Father Dennis said pointing at Alarac. “He literally drug me over here in the dead of night to talk to you about some kind of conspiracy.”
“Conspiracy?” Martinus said.
“I am sorry Martinus but Alarac seems quite mad.” Father Dennis quivered. He did not want the Pope to learn what Alarac had discovered. “I will send him away now.”
“No you do not have to.” Martinus gestured with his hand. “You both are dismissed.
Now then what is this all about Alarac?”
“Pope Martinus what do you know about Odoacer’s family?”
“Odoacer.” It was a name Martinus and every other Pope had feared since 493 AD. “Perhaps we should enter my chambers this is too important to discuss out here.”
“Fine.” Alarac said as they entered the chamber. “Now tell me everything you know about what this parchment means.”
“It is not as simple as it seems.” Martinus began. “What if I were to say that your family is directly descended from royalty? That you and your ancestors are all exiles from an ancient royal line.”
“Then I would say that you are insane.” Alarac said. He knew that his family was not royalty. “Then again I have always wondered why you have given me free access to the archives here in Rome. Proceed Martinus I need to hear everything.”
“Fine.” Martinus said and took a deep breath. The truth from nearly 1,000 years was about to be revealed. “Nearly 1,000 years in 476 AD, a barbarian general named Odoacer usurped the throne of Romulus Augustus the last Emperor of the Roman Empire. Odoacer proclaimed himself the king of Italy. However there were many forces that were opposed to this. Many of the barbarian tribes that overran the Roman provinces wanted more land. And the Byzantines.” Martinus paused to let Alarac soak up the information. “They thought of themselves as the true successors of the Roman Empire; they wanted to retake Rome and defeat Odoacer. Twenty long years of war occurred as Odoacer and Byzantines fought for control of Italy. To Odoacer it was clear that he could not defeat Byzantium. They were to strong. He realized that is was the destiny of offspring to reform his kingdom. But he needed an ally to shelter his family. The Byzantines would stop at nothing from erasing his bloodline.”
“So is this is where the parchment fits in?”
“No quite yet Alarac.” Martinus said. He looked at Alarac. “Odoacer had saved the Pope during the final days of the Roman Empire in 476. The Pope owed him a favor, but Odoacer did not have any need for one. However, years later when it was apparent that he was going to die, he urged the pope to protect his family and their offspring until a certain day came.”
“And that day is today.” Alarac said. “I think that I can figure out the rest from here Martinus. When the Byzantines were defeated and fled Italy for the final time and the Papal States were formed. The Popes sought to strengthen their position, but they all feared that they would lose their political power in Europe. So Martinus where does that leave us now?”
“It leaves us at the day the Popes have feared the most from 493. Then I really do not have much of a choice. The Papal States are now yours Alarac. I now pronounce you Duke of Rome.”
“Martinus are you sure that I am ready to rule a nation? I have had little or no training for this.” Alarac was dismayed. “I mean all my life I have only studied about the great kings of Europe.”
“Then my boy its time for you to make your own place in history.” Martinus said. “Here is to your success.”
“So what are you to do now Martinus?” Alarac said as he was about to leave. “I mean you are still the Pope of the Catholic Church.”
“I will still do God’s work on Earth governing over the church. Now that is a full time job.” Martinus said with a laugh. “You will learn very shortly that being the sovereign of a nation is more than a full time job. It is an experience that you will never be fully prepared for. Good night Alarac. Next time we meet I will officially turn my lands over to you.”

Martinus closed his door and Alarac was alone in the dark hallway. He had just learned who he was related to. He realized that it was his destiny to begin the restoration of Odoacer’s kingdom. He left the Pope’s palace and walked home trying to figure out how to create a new kingdom from the jumble of small states and principalities of Italy.

Wow! Still looking good! Keep up the good work!