• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(10189)

Second Lieutenant
Jul 11, 2002
Visit site
Well, its that time again. Ive returned after getting HoI out of my system. Here to write an AAR. Very Hard, Aggro. Age of Mercantalism...

Here we go...

The Rise of the House of van Hoffmein

The winter of 1616-1617 was a cold one. Or so thought Colonel Helmut von Hoffmein, as he tried to warm himself by one of the fires in the Austrian Imperial Armies encampment. The encampment was situated roughly 5 miles from His Most Catholic Emperor Mathia’s grand city of Vienna. The “encampment” as the Generals had called it, looked more like a city, with tents for houses. The encampment contained around 65,000 men, and included thousands of horses, blacksmiths, cooks, hunters, foragers, many a soldiers wife or woman, it even had 5 quickly constructed armouries. As Helmutt looked around, at a sea of red cold faces in the dense snow, he chuckled to himself. ‘Encampment indeed,’ he thought, ‘it even has tent brothels. It’s a city unto itself.’

The men were fond of Helmut; he was their caretaker. When the General’s were warm and snug in their beds, Helmut walked out in the cold, giving a shivering veteran a cigar, or a cold wife of a soldier some extra rye or beef. When the Generals were harsh, Helmut was kind. But Helmut’s temper had no limits when he saw an injustice, or when he saw men disobeying orders. All knew of the story of the bold Corporal who came to a military parade dead drunk, the Colonel gave him the lash, himself. The Corporal still winces when he remembers the day, but still remains one of the Colonels staunchest supporters.
Most of the nobles in the army called Helmutt one of the “new” nobility. Those were the men and woman of the merchant class, who, through bribes, political manoeuvring and some well timed and well-aimed marriage granted them small but influential estate, and a minor noble title. This set the Von Hoffmein’s up to guarantee Helmut a fine commission in the archduke’s, and later Emperor’s Army. Despite his father’s death, upon which he could have returned home to run the estate, he stayed, letting a steward run it in his stead.

Although well liked by his men, many nobles scorned him for not having the purest of blood. This unfortunately included the current leader of the army General von Wallenstein, whom he had to report to in an hour. He had left early from his tent, because he knew he would be making quite a few stops on the way there. He heard the horns for the changing of the guard and knew it was time, he said his good nights to the men around the fire and began the short walk to the Generals tent.

Upon arriving he snickered to himself thinking that ‘if this encampment is a city, than here is its palace.’ For the tent was the largest in the entire army, probably in all of the Holy Roman Empire. Two guards stood at attention and another opened the flap as the Colonel came closer. He saluted then entered. The tent was lit up like it was day. He first had to walk though a small ‘waiting room.’ Unfortunately those who had to sit in this room, more than likely wouldn’t see the General that day, because the real waiting room was through another flap. Though that flap another guard, a Lieutenant who stood at attention, saluting saying, “Sir! The General is expecting you Colonel.” Turning, he opened the flap and Helmut walked though. Inside the General’s conference room, were maps of all sizes from all over Eastern and Central Europe. Wooden chairs sat beside the right part of the room, and to the left in the room was a small wooden table with a map of the Tyrol-Wurtenburg border. Helmut marched in ceremoniously towards the General seated in a magnificent mahogany chair in front of a matching desk. Coming to attention and saluting saying, “You asked to see me Sir?”

The General continued to read some dispatches silently, as Helmut had expected he liked playing these games with his underlings, more specifically with Helmut, and the “new” nobility. Helmut continued to stand staring straight-ahead waiting for the General. He didn’t look up until Lt. General von Mercy entered and came to the desk beside Helmut saluting. “Ah, glad you both came,” said the General, “Sit.”

They both sat, looking at one another nodding. “The Emperor has a new mission. He is perplexed that more and more Electorates of the Empire are leaving the true faith. He has had, for some time now, been conversing with both the Spanish and Portuguese Kings, as well as the Bavarian Electorate in order to convince them to enter holy war, once again. And we as His Majesty’s loyal Commanders are ordered to prepare for upcoming wars. Von Mercy looked over to Helmut rolling his eyes while the General continued to look down at a dispatch, he interrupted the General, “Sir, we are ready. We have been for some time, waiting for the order, has his Majesty declared war yet?”

Only then did he put down the dispatch, “I was not finished Lt. General, if you interrupt me again I’ll send you to Carpathia to garrison the border with the Turks.” Von Mercy smiled at this, for they both knew that with von Mercy’s connections in the imperial palace, the General had no power to do anything to him. Besides, he needed able men for the upcoming wars. The General continued, “But for now I will be lenient. Within the week we are going to split the army evenly. I, with 25000 men 7500 horse and 20 guns will march to Tyrol province. Where the Emperor feels I will be more useful in eliminating the armies of Wurtenburg.” He looked over to von Mercy, waiting for him to say something, he was given the pleasure, “Sir, Wurtenburg are still loyal to the true faith, we are not to war with them are we?"

“It is reported that Protestant clergymen have infiltrated the Electorates court, and are even now convincing the populace to join their faith. War will come soon I believe. In the mean time I shall sit on my ass waiting for the Emperor’s word.” The Generals final words must have struck von Mercy shockingly at the same time as it did Helmut. For both dropped their mouths. “Yes, von Mercy, it seems you’re in Imperial favor, enjoy it while it lasts. You will take command of the other half and march to Prague in Bohemia and wait for word from the Emperor to begin a campaign against Saxony and Wurzburg. Hoffmein, you’re coming with me.”

Hoffmein looked to the ground, ‘damn, I’m to sit on my ass with this pompous ass,’ he thought. Von Mercy spoke up, “ I could use the Colonel in Bohemia Sir, if you’d be willing to part with him.”

“I have given an order Lt. General, and he is coming with me and that’s final.” Von Mercy gave Helmut an apologetic look; the General smiled at his small victory.

“Go prepare the men Gentlemen,” the General said with a sneer. They rose up and saluted the General and then departed. Outside they stopped and turned to each other, “I'm sorry Helmut, I tried. Maybe through my connections you’ll be transferred soon enough.”

“Thank you for trying Sir,” Helmut knew the General wouldn’t let him go. It is said, ‘Keep you friends close but your enemies closer.’ There was no greater enemy of von Wallenstein than von Mercy and Helmut, fortunately for von Mercy; the Emperor has ordered him away from the General, not so for Helmut. “I’ll write to you regarding the campaign,” von Mercy said with a laugh, then shook Helmut’s hand, before departing. von Mercy always had said he didn’t want Helmut to salute him, they were friends, and it wasn’t needed unless they were in front of the men, or General.

Helmut watched him walk away then took a silver container from his tunic pocket he removed a cigar. The guards in the doorway looked enviously at it, New World tobacco. Helmut smelled the shaft of the cigar, ‘fine quality,’ he thought. The perks of being in a family that still have merchant connections. He smiled thinking of his sister, whom his father married off to a very influential Spanish Merchant. Helmut lit it, took one long drag, and then gave it over the surprised guard. “Enjoy, stay warm tonight. S’going to be a cold one.” “Yes Sir! Thank you Sir!” Helmut didn’t need to tell him to share it with the other guard; the men always did when the Colonel gave them something. He began to walk away. The guards looked at each other grinning, “God bless him,” one said. “He already has,” said the other.

Helmut didn’t think so. Finding out they would be staying out of battle would be hard on his men.

It had been a year since they split the army and moved to Tyrol, setting up a defensive encampment with the Generals quarters situated right in the middle. It was dusk, on a cold day. Helmut’s tent was very humble, considering both that he was a Colonel and a noble, and that he was rich at that. He had enough room in the tent for his cot, a table and container for his maps, a footlocker, another container for some books, and a box with his dress uniform in it. He lay on his cot with the blanket covering his legs; his boots lay on the floor. In his one hand he held a flask half full (now) with English port, in his other he held a dispatch from his dear friend. He read it to himself amazing over the conditions in the former Bohemian lands.

Helmut

It has been some time since I wrote to you. Political conditions in the North had deteriorated. The Emperor is furious, and demands vengeance on the entire populace up here. The Hungarians and many-a-Bohemian joined together in revolt from His Majesty; citing injustice. Revolts sprung up all over Bohemia, Sudeten, Moravia and Silesia. Thousands of peasants rose up under many a Hungarian, mainly consisting of Protestants. My army quickly crushed the rebellion here in Bohemia. But rebellious armies surrounded the province. I decided on a lightning campaign of striking east to Morovia, then on through the other rebellious provinces. Our campaign was beautiful, three successful battles after another. Unfortunately Silesia fell to the rebels by the time we made it there, they were behind the city walls, and a siege ensued. Gladly it didn’t last long. By the by Helmut, perhaps you should have you steward contact Fritz Fafenues at the palace in Vienna. I have instructed Fritz that you, being a most loyal servant of His Imperial Majesty, be allowed among the nobles allowed to have their pick of the rebel nobles lands. He has advised me that when you send a request to His Majesty through your steward, maps of the remaining lands shall be awarded to you. Good Luck my friend, and worry not, I have put in word to the Emperor that more help may be need up here.
Lt. General von Mercy
Commander of the North.

Helmut jumped up putting his boots on and headed over to his table to begin a dispatch to Franz, stating what he should do, according to von Mercy’s dispatch. Upon finishing he rushed out to his staff, handing it to his most trusted courier, sending him off. Satisfied that he has done his familial duty, he headed back to his tent to put some warm clothing on. After doing so, he went about the encampment, raising morale. “Soon boys, soon, we’ll see some action soon.”

Von Hoffmein sat astride his stallion on a knoll in Sudeten. To the left, right and back of him were his advisors, strategists and a scribe. They just sat there, taking in the view of the border town between Sudeten and Sachsen. The journey from Tyrol hadn’t been an easy one. Their army had lost 5000 men to desertion, and a few hundred to illness. The General was fuming about the deserters, and the blame lay solely on Helmut. He remembered the conversation he had with the General earlier that day.
“Obviously you have shown these men lenience far too often!” yelled von Wallenstein, his delicate chubby face red in anger. “You are to blame, not I! Yes I’ve heard of you giving your men drink, and cigars, and God knows what else! This is an army damn you, not a parlour of friends. You must be strict. Hold these men under an iron boot. I am writing a report to the Council stating your leniency as the root cause of all these desertions. They’ll have your head Hoffmein, not mine. What do you have to say for yourself.”

Helmut stood there, fury rising in him at the Generals statements. He dare not say a word, knowing that if he got his chance to rant about the General being a complete ass, and unintelligible uncaring baffoon, he would be in a court martial by the end of the day. “Well?” shouted the General, goading him knowingly.

“Beg the Generals forgiveness. If the General pleases I shall resign my commission under his most wise Commander, and return to my estate,” Helmut said very calmly, too calmly.

The General hadn’t expected this statement from Helmut, his eyes grew wide for one small second, and Helmut know he struck a cord. “No, no, that will not be necessary. I will consider the matter further before I take any action.” The General knew he lost this little battle, for the he couldn’t run the army without Helmut. Disorganisation would run rampant, and surely he knew more men would desert if Helmut had left.

“Permission to get back to my duties Sir?” asked Helmut.

“Yes, yes of course,” said the General as Helmut saluted. He pivoted and left the tent.
Helmut was still pissed off, he thought about home then. Thinking how easier it would be to just retire and return to his wife and children. His son Karl must be nearing the end of his tutelage at the age of 17, and little Elsibet age 9. It had been 4 years since he was home. Four long years, he was sure that his steward was doing a fine job raising his children. He had been since his wife’s death. Which was one of the reasons it had been so long since he returned. Every time he saw his wife’s sister, he longed for his wife. Afraid that he would fall in love again, he departed, leaving his children in his steward’s care, as well as Eva’s. He looked down at the town, longing for home.

‘So,’ he thought as he scanned the border town, ‘this is where the invasion will occur when we go to war.’ “Lets be off then, courier had arrived at camp as we were leaving. Let’s go see what’s the good word. Captain Luff, when we return gather up 100 horse and return to garrison the town. Have to let the people get used to us there. The town will set you up in whatever room they can spare.” Helmut handed him a letter, signed by him, with the Imperial Army’s Coat of Arms. “Give this to the mayor, this will guarantee he complies.” It was a letter saying all payments will be taken out of the armies’ coffers.

With that, they all turned their horses and began the journey back to camp.
“The Emperor is dead. Long Live the Emperor!” General von Wallenstein yelled raising a goblet of wine. A thunderous response from 30000 soldiers was the same, shaking the ground, “Long Live the Emperor!”

The General then turned a walked off the platform as the Captains began ordering the men to return to their tents. Helmut followed the General and a small party of his staff into his tent. The General walked over to his chair sitting heavily down looking at his wine. The men stood waiting for the General to gather his thoughts, knowing there was more news than what he had told the men.

“The Electorates have already taken the vote,” he began, “And in their most ‘infinite’ wisdom, they have crowned the King of Spain Felipe III Emperor. So our own Archduke’s cousin has been crowned Emperor,” he laughed. “Apparently the few lands he holds in the Low Countries including his ties with the previous Emperor was enough for the Electorates.”

The men in the room looked at each other. Spain ruling the Empire could make for a dangerous thing. No only did they already have a growing Empire oversea but would they forget about the Protestants? They hoped not.

“There’s more,’ the General continued. Ferdinand II did not take it too good upon hearing this. He is determined on his line being the Imperial head, so he believes he must with all due haste, destroy the Protestants in Saxony, Wurzburg, the Palatinat and Hannover. If he conquers them and shows leniency he believes upon Felipe’s death, the vote will swing his way. A declaration of war is already on its way to each of the Electorates. And we are called to action. Von Mercy has sent us 11000 men as re-enforcements for our invasion; they will be arriving within the week. Upon their arrival they will be integrated into our army with all speed, then we will march on Sachsen. Understood?”

The men nodded their heads with enthusiasm. “Leave me,” the General the stated, and the men departed. Helmut, as he was leaving, noticed the General put his elbows on his desk and his face in his hands. He wondered what was wrong…

It didn’t take him too long to find out. For when the soldiers from von Mercy’s army arrived, they brought with them a missive from von Mercy to Helmut.

Colonel von Hoffmein,

It is with great pleasure that I write this to you. I have sent you some of my best men, so I know you will get this quickly. I have been promoted my good man! Today, I send this to you as General von Mercy. No longer will I have to lick the boots of that bastard von Wallenstein. I've even sent him re-enforcements as a mockery of him. Don’t be offended my dear friend. Although I know with your leadership abilities you will find no trouble versus the Saxons, my little gift to the General has shown our leaders in Vienna how much I think of von Wallenstein’s abilities. They wonder if he is the right man for the job. By the by, you should be getting some more good news soon enough. Good Luck and God speed you Victory.

Your Friend as ever,
‘General’ von Mercy.

Helmut sat staring at the missive in stunned silence. ‘General,’ how wonderful for him. As he sat thinking on this he saw a shadow fall across his tent flap. He looked at the flap raising his eyebrows, wondering who it could be. But the person just stood in the doorway; it looked like he was thinking on coming in, but not quite sure. Suddenly Helmut was alarmed, where was his guard? Quietly he reached over and grabbed his flintlock. He continued to look at the shadow of the man, who had reached down to open the flap, then stopped and pulled his hand back. “Who goes there?” Helmut yelled. The shadow stiffened, the reached down and grabbed the flap and entered. It was the General, and Helmut couldn’t have been more shocked. So shocked was he that he had forgotten to salute, but just stood their mouth gapping. “S..s..sir?” It was the first time the General had ever came to his tent in the 10 years that he had served him.
“Helmut, can we speak?” the General asked.
So surprised Helmut didn’t answer, but pointed at a chair, to which the General sat down in. “I know we haven’t gotten along, but I have always tried to command you with honour.” Helmut almost laughed aloud, but contained himself. “I’m sure you have heard the news of your friend von Mercy.” To which Helmut nodded. “Well, did he tell you anything else?” To which Helmut looked confused. Smiling von Wallenstein continued, “Good, I wanted to be the first to tell you, and congratulate you. The powers that be have found you to be a more loyal and capable leader. Your previous experience in battles fought, have led you to this moment. Today, by the leadership of the army, and the command of Archduke Ferdinand the Second himself,” von Wallenstein raised his left eyebrow looking at Helmut’s shocked face, “I hearby promote you to Brigadier General, with all honours and privileges attached. Congratulations Brigadier General von Hoffmein.”

Helmut realised two things in that instant, one of which was what von Mercy wrote ‘more good news coming his way.’ And the other was why von Wallenstein earlier that week had put his hands in his face. General von Mercy’s ‘connections’ in Vienna was Ferdinand himself, son of the late Emperor, and the new Archduke of Austria.

“Thank you sir,” Helmut saluted as the General stood. “I hope von Hoffmein, that with this promotion, we came start anew.” The General hesitated, he looked as if he wanted to say more, then turned and walked out. In the doorway, he said, “Your new badges and uniforms will be here within the week, General,” then departed.

“Yes sir!” Helmut couldn’t believe it. No wonder the General had taken the news so hard. Not only was von Mercy his equal in power now, but he had the ear of Ferdinand. Helmut sat down at his table slowly, pondering the events of the week, smiling to himself. ‘Ill have to send my sincere thanks to General von Mercy,’ he thought.
The war was going well for Austria, but not as it was planned. Upon urgent orders, von Wallenstein rushed his army to Wurzburg to quickly end the fighting capabilities of that Electorate. Their small army was defeated, and the siege of Erfurt had begun. The siege was in its third month when troops from Bavaria joined up with the Austrian army.

Bgdr. General von Hoffmein lay in a hastily constructed trench watching his guns blast the walls of Erfurt through a spyglass. Smoke fill the air, gun power and rotting bodies filled his nose. He witnessed the defenders catch sight of the soldiers to his front and left digging another trench for them to move in their 30 pounders. The defender’s guns trained on them and opened fire; mud, wood, and human flesh exploded all around the men digging, but still they continued, despite the heavy fire, and heavy loss. He heard his guns fire in reply, and saw the cannon balls slam against the walls; one had managed to hit a section where one of their guns was reloading, he didn’t think that any men there survived. And so it had been going on for three months, but the Austrians dug in closer and closer to their walls. It would be over soon, not soon enough for Helmut, who believed they should already have taken the city, if it weren’t for the cautious leadership of the General. The Bavarians had joined the cause and together with the Austrians surrounded, and pounded the city walls. Helmut looked back at the General’s tent, erected far from any of the defender’s reach and wondered what the General was doing.

General von Wallenstein, leader of army laying siege to Erfurt, lay in his bed, sleeping. Not so, the General of the Bavarian army, who, as Helmut was currently doing, lying in a small trench himself, watching his guns fire on the walls and watching the defenders guns firing in reply; relishing in fury of hell unleashed. His Lord ordered him to take the city at all costs, before the Austrian army did. Bavaria wanted Wurzburg, and so it shall be done. He quickly scurried back to a safe distance, and gathered the commanders of his army.

“Today Gentlemen, today the walls of Erfurt will crumble and by early morning the army of Austria will watch as we raise the Bavaria flag over the castle walls. We have gotten our 30 pounders in place, well ahead of the Austrians, and we are ready to destroy these Lutheran bastards. At dusk I will order all our guns to open fire at their guns defences. After this has gone on for 20 minutes, I will order our 30 pounders to target that point,” he pointed to the middle section of a weakened wall, “when the walls fall, the 12th and the 33rd infantry battalions will launch and attack into the city. Following their entrance the remainder of our infantry and pioneers shall enter the city. Our cavalry shall remain without to block any attempt by the enemy of fleeing, also to guard our backs should the Austrians take a disliking to our successful victory. Is all this understood men?” They all nodded.

“Good, by the way. After we enter the city the 12th and the 33rd are the first to take pleasure in the spoils, and the woman. Give them free reign till sunrise then let the other battalions can take part when they are finished. Remember, these people are heretics, and have no rights under God, so if any of you feel uncomfortable, or think that it is wrong to rape, pillage and plunder, then tell me. Trust me, Ill be gentle with you.” All the men knew this meant a lashing in the least, at the worst convicted of heresy themselves, and sentenced to burn.
“God speed you victory,” and with that it was done.

Helmut jerked away. Something was amiss; he could hear 30 pounders in the distance, what was going on? He jumped up and ran out of his tent, surveying the scene. His 30 pounders were still not in place, and there was no fire from the city walls. ‘What is happening,’ he thought. After pondering for some time he realised what was happening, and ran to the Generals tent.

The General was already awake, having slept most of the day, and was seated outside of his tent eating wild boar. “General, we may have a problem.”

“Oh,” he looked up questioningly at Helmut, “And what is this problem, its such a beautiful night, the stars are out, and their guns are quiet. I believe victory is soon on its way.”

Helmut quickly said, “Sir, I believe the Bavarians are using their 30 pounders right now, and I’m sure they will be entering the city soon.” The General leapt up, shouting for a courier and cursing the Bavarian General’s family.

When the courier arrived the General shouted at him to get over to the Bavarian General and find out what in blazes was going on. “Tell him we had an agreement! How dare he, this was our victory!”

The General continued cursing, and began pacing around, shouting at everyone, including Helmut, “God-damned Bavarians!”

About two hours later, after the 30 pounders had quieted, the General sat slumped on his chair. The courier had returned and was relating his tale, “Sir, by the time I had arrived I witnessed two battalions already entering the city though a section of crumbled wall, I could hear intensive combat from within the city. I told the Bavarian General that you demanded an explanation, he simply said, the city will be his soon, the time for talk is over. He would talk to me no further and I was ushered out of his presence. As I was leaving I witness more troops entering that section of wall. I regret to inform you Sir that atop the wall on their side was a Bavarian flag.”

Helmut had his spyglasses out and was currently looking at shock at the Bavarian flag hanging from atop the walls on the Austrian side. “I regret to inform the General,” he started, “that the city has fallen to the Bavarians.” He finished by pointing to the flag atop the wall. The General sat there wide eyed looking at the flag, and the end of his military career. He slowly stood, the said just as slowly, “Get out of my sight all of you, not you von Hoffmein.”

When the men departed the General spoke up, “When news of this reaches home…” he trailed off. Helmut stood there staring at him, as the General slowly looked into his eyes. “Im going home, I shall leave the army in your capable hands.” He took out his finely decorated sword. “I retire from this commission, Good Luck Bgdr. General.” He turned from Helmut, and walked into his tent. Helmut stood there for a moment longer, then walked to his aide, asking him to gather the commanders. It was time to return to Austrian soil.

Here goes:

Does anyone like this or should I stop writting?

Maybe a battle will spice things up..

While von Hoffmein and his army returned to Austrian soil, von Mercy was busily defeating the Saxons who had invaded Morovia. Upon defeating them, and simultaneously hearing of General von Wallensteins retirement, von Mercy then marched his army to Sadetensen to join up with his friend and comrade von Hoffmein. The morale of von Mercy’s victorious army helped to boost the low morale of von Hoffmein’s men, making them once again an effective fighting force. Together, with Saxony on the run, they invaded Sachsen, and lay down a siege of Dresden. Von Mercy commanded his troops with efficiency and Dresden fell to Austria. Following the fall of Dresden, von Mercy and von Hoffmein marched their troops to Saxony’s last remaining strongholds. But danger loomed on the horizon for the people of Austria, for Bavaria declared war on a growing Brandenburg and tiny Wurtenburg (who only days early declared publicly their conversion to Protestantism). Following the declaration, Georg Wilhelm commanding 28500 men and 4000 horse, together with 45 guns, launched the invasion of Silesia in August of 1621.
Under and agreement between von Hoffmein and von Mercy; von Hoffmein took with him just under half of the army they could spare from the invasion of Saxony. Leading his army of 15000 men and 9000 horse along with 27 guns back to Austrian lands directed at the Brandenburg invaders. The battle took place on the date of Felipe III, King of Spain, and Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire’s death date. The outcome of the battle would be the deciding point for many a nation in the Empire on who should be the next Emperor. Catholic Austria had much to lose, and everything to gain…

Helmut examined the ground that they had chased Wilhelm to. The larger Brandenburg army could not hope to outrun them, to find better ground, and so had turned to face them. “This is good ground men. No advantages for either side. Im glad he didn’t make it to the hills some miles ahead, or else we’d be facing their 40 guns pointed down upon us.”

“Yes sir,” said one of his Captain’s, “Our men are ready for a fight, and are steaming mad that Brandenburg tried to go through the back door. Helmut knew he was referring to the timely invasion of the provinces to the rear of von Mercy’s invasion. If Wilhelm cuts von Mercy off, it could be the death of them in Saxony. For Hannover and The Palatinat would surely pick them off.

“Colonel Brat, I want half of your artillery units to set up over there,” pointing at a farm fence line, to the left of them about a mile. “The other half would be well situated over here, on the tree line.” Which was situated to the right of them half a mile from them. “The infantry will line up in fighting formation between. I want the pikemen lined up in the rear. The rest will fire off as many volleys while their own infantry attacks. But both will march together. When their infantry charge I want the pikemen ready to stop them. Our horse will be split, ready to defend against their horse, or to chase and destroy their infantry or guns. They will line up on the infantry’s flank. Staying close, but not close enough to be fired upon by their infantry. Understand?” His officers nodded. “I want lightning attacks when you see their lines starting to wave. Make sure you watch the signals from my command zone right here on this slight hill. I command everything today men, watch for my signals, not doing so could bring disaster. I can see everything from here, so I know better than each individual commander does. I expect every man to do their job, to the utmost of their ability. I will wish the men a hasty victory when our lines are prepared. Any questions?” They had none. “Good, good luck Gentlemen.”

They all saluted smartly, turned their horse and raced back to their particular divisions. Helmut and an aide stayed their, examining the field, imagining the battle. Thinking of their families, thinking of the fate of the Empire, they slowly turned their horses and trotted back to the baggage trains.

Helmut stood in the middle of what was about to become the battlefield. Behind him stood a small unit of horse, a few of his commanders, and his general staff. In front of him, stood Georg Wilhelm, and his staff, including his own small unit of horse, ready for a formal parley.

The two commanders marched briskly, coldly, forward to stop a few feet from each other. Georg Wilhelm took of his hat eloquently giving a formal bow, Helmut did the same.
“Greetings to you, Brigadier General, your fame precedes you. The conquest of the people of Saxony, and the battle against Hannover and The Platinat are talked about, even in the court of Brandenburg,” Georg Wihelm started.
Helmut continued the parley, “And you, your highness, are no small tactician yourself. You courage and honour in warring with the Poles and the Swedes are well renown. Our Archduke was most displeased upon finding that you had invaded his lands, Sir, and kindly requests you leave his lands. He asked that you return to your native lands, there to live a long life. You and your man can return home, flags raised high fully armed, so as not to cause dishonour to your name. He sa..”
Wilhelm then cut in, “Sir, I do not intend to leave unless the ‘Archduke’ stops his war against our brethren Protestants. Your war with Saxony, Hannover, and The Platinat is unfounded. Your war with us equally unfounded, started by upstart Bavarians. Does your Austria now claim allegiance to Bavaria? How low will your Archduke stoop to claim the Imperial throne?”
“Watch your tongue good Sir. Have the people of Bradenburg sunk so low that they would use mockery and insults instead of good manners? We have come here for parley, not to be insulted, if you have nothing further to say that is pleasing to Austrian ears, then let begin this battle so we can return to defeating Saxony.”
Wilhelm calmly stated, “Let us war then, von Hoffmein, so We can return to taking your lands, your cities, and all that rightfully belongs to the victors.”
They both stepped back and coldly bowed to each other and marched back to their horses. Looking one last time at each other peacefully under the flag of truce, both parties turned racing back to their lines. Helmut and his aides returned to the small hill to prepare battle orders.

His army marched forward to meet the invaders. He saw his regular’s holding key points in the entire line, marching in their black uniforms. The pikemen behind them, a ragtag band, of a mix between peasants and lower to middle class men. Sons of unsuccessful merchants, and men forced into service because their Archduke needed them Their horsemen, noble and merchant class cavalry ready to speed victory kept pace, but never to close to the front lines. Helmut looked through his spyglass at the enemy advancing towards them as well. Their army much larger, but he hoped that with double the amount of horse, he could overcome these odds.
Slowly, painfully slowly for Helmut, he watch the advance sections of both armies come within musket firing positions. He nodded at the flag bearer, who in turn signalled the artillery to commence their firing. Thunderous booms answered the flag, white smoke from gunpowder billowed out of the tree line to the right of Helmut and covered the ground to the far left of him. He watched as the first cannon balls landed amongst the Brandenburg lines. All of his 27 guns firing, he was please with the results of the firing, and watched as Wilhelm’s guns answered. He heard a much larger boom from the enemy’s guns. Wincing he watched as their more numerous guns pound his lines, he knew then that this would be a difficult fight, as their cannon’s aimed true, many of his men fell.

He then watched as both lines began opening fire with musket, sporadically he saw men along both sides fall, as smoke erupted from each side. They took turns like this, as cannon fire landed among them. Helmut knew he couldn’t fight a battle like this, he had fewer men and wouldn’t survive a battle of attrition. He ordered 2500 of his horse to make a quick strike against their left flank, hoping that this would destabilise the line. He saw through his spyglass that by the time their horse could challenge them, his horse would flee back to his lines.

He saw the 2500 cavalry charge forward towards their lines. Their front lines began an orderly retreat upon seeing this, and their own pikemen moved forward to meet the cavalry. A bloody hand to hand fight began between the pikemen on the left flank and Helmut’s cavalry. He watched as the Brandenburg cavalry, all 4000 of them rushed out to engage his men. He ordered his signaller to sign a retreat. The cavalry continued to fight not seeing his order. Helmut stood up in his stirrups reddening in fury, “Signal again!” They did so, again no retreat. “Order the rest of the left flanking cavalry to stop that charge. Prepare to order the rest of the cavalry to come to their aid.”

Georg Wilhelm must have saw the same thing Helmut watched unfold and ordered another division of pikemen to attack the attacking 2500, which had now probably been cut down to 2000 and was continuing to be cut down by the pikemen. Helmut watched the addition cavalry come out to meet Wilhelms cavalry, who where almost within striking distance of the other cavalry. Wilhelms 4000 strong cavalry met Helmut’s cavalry who came out to aid their brothers. The 4000 hit the 2000 with precision, he watched as his cavalry were quickly being beaten back. He saw half of Wilhelm’s cavalry split charging at the dwindling attack on the pikemen. Helmut ordered the rest of his army to advance, attacking on all fronts, as well as ordering his remaining 4000 cavalry to swing around and crush Wilhelm’s cavalry. He knew that they wouldn’t have time to swing around from the right flank to engage them before his left flanking cavalry was crushed. He looked around at his panicking personnel guard watching their comrades being crushed, and drew his sword.

Everyone around him stopped, and stared at him. He shouted to them all, “Every man with a horse, mount. Our army is about to be shattered. We must engage the enemy while our honour is intact. Let us show these men of Brandenburg, what Austria is all about.” Waving his sword he launched ahead, charging down the hill, not looking back. So shocked by their Generals actions they did not immediately follow, but hesitated letting their General get a little bit in front of them, then with a mighty shout, the small band of 500 and some odd men, launched into attack. It took them all some time to reach the left flank, which had further deteriorated.

As Helmut charged he looked at his army, beginning to waver and right before the small band clashed with the Brandenburg cavalry, he screamed at the top of his lungs, “FOR GOD, FERDINAND AND AUSTRIA.”

It seemed as though every Austrian on the field heard their Generals cry of defiance, and slowly as a ripple, starting from the small band of men, on to the cavalry, and spreading from the Austrian left flank to their right flank, every soldier screamed in defiance with him.

Helmut swiped at one of two men fighting an exhausted Austrian, his sword biting deep into the mans skull. With not one second’s hesitation he launched at the other, piercing him though the stomach. On and on Helmut fought, it had seemed like an eternity, ‘surely his army was in full retreat by now,’ he thought, when all of a sudden he looked around, recognising the rest of the cavalry, the 4500 men of the right flank attacking along with him. He didn’t stop to think but keep swinging his sword at every Brandenburgian he saw. As he sliced a man across the chest, he felt a small prick under his shoulder, he didn’t even think about it and kept yelling and kept fighting.

The battle around him slowly waned, and Helmut stopped to look at the scene around him. His cavalry had crushed theirs, but not only had he realised this, he realised they were deep within the Brandenburg infantry lines. He looked to see where the rest of his army had gone, thinking they had fled. But such was not the case; his infantry were right along side the cavalry, fighting to the death, slaying many a Brandenburg. He looked towards Georg Wilhelms command area, he couldn’t see he nor his aides anywhere. A commander of the infantry ran up to him shouting, “The Enemy flees, great General, our army will chase him back to Berlin if we do not order a regroup Sir!”

Helmut dazzlingly looked at the Captain and nodded, “Order it Captain.” The Captain then noticed blood running down the side of Helmut's shirt and screamed for a stretcher-bearer. Helmut slumped down, slightly smiling. “We are victorious…” he started, as blood began to bubble out of his mouth. His personnel doctor arrived with stretcher-bearers sometime later. Helmut lay in the infantry Captain’s arms. He just realised that all of the surviving commanders of his army were with him, almost half as many as he had met this morning with. He smiled warmly at them, knowing death was soon approaching. “Thank you…” he said softly, “Thank you…” he said again before closing his eyes, and slumping into the sweet peace of death…

Ferdinand was crowned Emperor two days after this costly victory.

"Long live the Emperor"

Last edited:
I think that most of us like it, yet we are unable to reply, due to the fact that we have to read the whole damn thing.:D You write quicker than we can read!