• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(8830)

Colonel
Apr 20, 2002
Visit site
or, the worst series of wars I have ever fought.

When one opens a dusty history book, he may be brought back into the past. Into the past to view
upon death, plague, suffering, and one may wonder where the “good old days” are located in
history. A hint: They’re not. If you thought modern times are hard, you need only look as far as
the Venetian Wars, a horrible set of wars that drained the manpower and cash of Austria for
generations.

The first and second Venetian wars were not any thing special, no. Their effects merely
transferred Istria and Ragusa to the Archduchy. But the Third Austrian War... It lasted six and a
half years, the war itself, at least, from 1479-1485. But its effects lasted for a generation, and the
fighting of the period lasted until 1487. Austria entered the war with a respectable pool of 15000
able bodied men ready for military service but not in the military yet. It ended with 2000. It
entered with 900 gold ducats... It ended with a rapidly diminishing 80. And so, the tale of the
bloody Third Venetian War begins.

OOC: I do know that I already have a very involved AAR at the moment, but, this series of wars
was so bloody that I could not refuse to AAR it. After all, never in the history of EU2 have I ever
fought such a devastating war, never such a horrible drain on my beautiful policies that create -
not to brag - some of the most stable human played states ever.

Aha, a wAAR... kinda thought of making one of those, but it's hard to acomplish it when in all your games, you always beat the AI and conquer the world by 1550

...get it? ;)

Originally posted by Alexandru H.
Aha, a wAAR... kinda thought of making one of those, but it's hard to acomplish it when in all your games, you always beat the AI and conquer the world by 1550

...get it? ;)

Well, your presumtion is wrong when you talk about me. Didn't you read?: "not to brag - some of the most stable human played states ever." That means I don't always go on big conquering sprees. My only expansion is Controlled. It means that my empire does not Cover half of Europe and have rebellions popping up everywhere.

I know, I know... this is my style exactly...
It's no fun being the only country in the world...
Plus, most of the time, I try to influence the balance of power so not to end up with a huge Sweden or Austria...

The style will be that of something between a mix of a modern war report and a history book.

Important information:

Theatre.JPG

Theater of Operations

Starting positions:

Austrian Alliance consists of: Austria with some 20000 troops in Mantua, 8000 in Ragusa./
Bavaria, Milan, Savoy Helvetia, all of which had about 20000-30000 troops which did not play
any role.

Venetian Alliance: Venice with some 30000 troops in Veneto (Venice) and a minor force in
Dalmatia, along with numerous island garrisons./ Gelre, with some 20000 troops in their capital,
poised to invade our undefended Amsterdam./ Guyenne, which did not influence the war in any
way. / Naples, which had some 40000 troops in its capital, who only landed on the mainland
once or twice in any of the wars.

Operations, 1479:

The year did not allow much movement, for the war was declared in late October. The Austrians
had stationed their troops to fight rebellions and counter the advance they deemed likely into
Mantua. However, this was not so, for the Venetians, likely seeing that the Austrians had done
so, the Venetians advanced into the mountain province of Tirol, leaving a small garrison in their
capital. The Venetian force in Dalmatia advanced into the Austrian province of Istria.

Seizing their opportunity, the Austrians advanced, their rebel fighting force in Ragusa invading
Dalmatia. And so ended 1479, with the Venetians sieging Tirol and Istria, and the Austrians
sieging Dalmatia.

Did anyone like it?

It's nice but I am expecting more from you...;)

As I understood, this is still a quiet war, worsening afterwards...

I'm following you, Snow King... keep up! only advise: try to specify the involved forces (number, leaders, countries) when huge or important battles are fought!

Well, I can't get exact numbers, as this was not a planned AAR. Nothing was planned in advance, though I normally will tell the general happenings in a big battle.

Spring Campaigning, 1480:

On January 6, the Austrians engaged the small Venetian force near their capital. The Austrians,
with their superior numbers, completely encircled the Venetians and destroyed them with arrow
and spear. The siege of Venice began, and trenches snaked out towards the bastions of the City of
St. Mark.

Also, an attempt to drive the Venetians out of Tirol failed miserably, but the Venetians botched
the pursuit and the Austrians got away. Yet another attempt was made in late May, and fierce
fighting raged through the mountains. The battle ended that summer in a loss for Austria.

Summer Campaigns, 1480:

The summer began with Venice fighting in the mountains, back and forth in the passes of the
Alps, Istria besieged by Venice, and Veneto and Dalmatia besieged by Austria. Little else
happened except for yet another battle in Tirol, another defeat for Austria, the fierce fighting
back and forth through the mountains.

Go Venice, go! ;) Really I am not sure which side I am on since you write this in such an objective way:D

Last edited:
Originally posted by Judge
Go Venice, go! ;) Really I am not sure which side I am on since you write this in such an objective way:D

Venice was the evil aggressor... And do not forget that Austria is the Empire of the Light.... ;) :D

Update!

Fall Campaigning, 1480:

The first real happening was in September, when Venice captured Tirol. Unfortunately for them,
when they left Tirol for Veneto, they left the province open to siege, and the Archdukes forces
came in and began the besieging.

As Venice attacked Austria in Veneto, the supposedly invincible main Venetian army met with
defeat at the gates of their own capital, legend having it that an image of a blazing bright cross
led the Archdukes forces to triumph after a few days of action. This account, however, has never
met with much popularity with military historians though, as the consensus was that the
Austrians won due to better quality forces, larger numbers, and excellent terrain advantage. Or, to
paraphrase Napoleon: “God is on the side of those with the bigger and better battalions who are
on better ground.”

Unfortunately, one of Venice’s allies, Naples, landed with a substantial force in Istria. The future
was looking gloomy for all involved.