• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(7347)

a.k.a. Sole Defender
Jan 17, 2002
Settings: Normal/Normal, version 1.06, grand campaign.

Goals: Building a colonial empire by controlling traditionally portoguese and french oversea territories and making conquests of India and presentday Mexico.

Portugal, a small nation, like a stripe on the iberian penisula, starting up in 1419 under the rule of Joao I. The first thing that had to be dealt with was the war against Fez and Algier. Strong forces where already present at Tangiers and Portugal also started with a rather good leader General Periera, located in Tago, commanding 20.000 men. Luckily Portugal also had a strong navy who was capable to take General Periera with all his men to the battlefield to reinforce the already landed depatchment. When Periera had landed, he started a campaign of victories over the heathens. Both Fez as Algier where utterly defeated and Portugal profited from the war by being granted Tangiers and Orania aswell forcing Fez and Algiers into vassalship to the crown.

With such a succes in mind, and General Periera already on location, Portugal DoW Morocco shortly after the peace was signed with Fez and Algiers. In 1522 Marrakech was taken and maps over the african inland was revealed. Morroco was, as its northern neighbour, forced into vassalship and General Periera returned home. It was now time for the diplomats to take over. The conquest of Marrakech had revealed a nation, Mali and to this muslim nation, cross the Sahara dessert ,gifts was now send. Gifts to an approximately value of 350 gold was send until they agrred to exchange discoveries. In such a maner Portugal gained knowledge about every west african nation.One of them Benin had several ports had it was decided as important to gain good relations with them, so gifts was also presented to their King, until he agreed to let the portoguese get military access through his lands.

On the european scenary, Portugal had joined a military alliance with Castille and had also gained military acces in Castille. The Azores had been upgraded into a city and several trade agreements had been signed with different merchant nations.

In 1425 Portugals first explorer arrives, Diego de Senil. He his send togheter with the enitre portoguese navy south, along the african coast. In 1426 he discover the island Cap Verde and it is immedeatly colonised. He then travels towards the west until he hit another coastline, Brazil. When Cap Verde have been colonised it is jused as a base for DdeSenils explorations, the north coast of Brazil is explored all the way to the Winward islands and also the coast line of Africa or revealed, as he may use Benins ports as pitstops. Moslty de Senil only explors the coastline, but in some cases, as Cap Verde above, he also discover whole provinces. In Recife and Parnaibo trade posts are established.

More good things that happens, is that Orania and Tangier converts to catholisism and that the portoguse traders start sending more and more profit home from the European CoTs. Portugal is also developed more into a plutocracy direction then aristocracy, as well as the King tries to centralise rather then decentralise.

In 1436 Andalusia, a Castillian province defects to Portugal. This positioned Portugal in a difficult spot, as the King never intended to have any claims on the other provinces in the iberian penisula then Portugal started with. With the defection of Andalusia Castille now had a permanent casus belli against Portugal Castille itself clearly had problems, teared apart by revolts and in a war agains the recently independent Grenada and with a low stability as well as few troopers. It was a oppertunity to good to miss...

Originally posted by J. Passeportout
*Realises he is not quite dead* "Were those conversions random event or missionary?"

*Looks with surprise at JPs deadbody who starts talking*

They where random and happened with about two years between them. :)

Portugal revoked the military acces, given by Castille, broke the alliance and declared war. About this time Porugals next explorer. Gil Eanes, also arrived. He was send to discover the Brazilian costline south of Recife and the portoguese forces was send into Castille. Portugal had a competent leader in General Avranches. His first target was the gold rich province of Toledo, with that province captured he moved into the capital province itself Castilla. A loan of 200 ducats was alos taken and with those funds Portugal was able to raise more forces to send into Castille. After a rather short war, the castillian King was forces to cede Leon, Asturia and Toledo. Portugal had gained rich provinces but also made powerfull enemies.

After Gil Eanes had eplored the Brazilian coastline down to present day Argentina he set sailed for Africa. Using ports in Benina as base he explored some of the coastline down to present day Angola. Another valuable finding was also the island of Fernando Po. De Senil had been send to the Azores, where he sailed west until he reached land and discovered the nation of Lenape. Lenape owned a precius CoT and the portofuese merchants thanked de Senil and God for this oppertunty to do easy profits.

In 1442 Aragon, leader of a great alliance witch among others had Castille as a member, DoWed Portugal. There forces was greater then Portugals, but by doing an skilled insurgery, portogueses forces was able to evade all hostile froces and siege the capital province of Aragon itself. When it had fall, Aragon, as the alliance leader, offered peace and payed 145 ducats as recompensation. Shortly after this war Galicia defected to Portugal from Castille.

Looking oversea, much of the North american coastline had been discover, aswell as the province of Stadacone, Money was invested in building cities in both Stadacone and Diamentia. They where to be used as base camps for future explorations. Other sites that also was developed to either coloies or cities where Pernambuca, Fernando Po, Barbados, Gander and Louga.

Wow. The Defender of EU1 has defected just like those Castillan provinces. I hope EU1 forums doesn't have the same fate as Castille:p

I hadn't thought of that. The EU forum will slowly not be posted in, and the EU AAR forum will only have one post a day. :( :(
Sometimes it seems like that already. As long as Yoghurt's PBM is unscathed.;)

BTW nice start Yog.

HA! HA! HA!

YOU GOT IT! BWAHAHAHAHAHA! FEEL THE POWER OF THE DARK SIDE OF EU!

*Decides to actually read the AAR*

I hope you can do as much for the EU II AAR forums as you did for the EU I AAR forums.

Looks like Castile is not having a nice time...

Yup, they are pretty teared apart and as they say.... You should kick on thoose who´s already down... :rolleyes:

I've noticed I always get a very large number of new posts when you start an AAR.

Yeha I noticed it to so I thought i should start this AAR just to help you out raise your numbers... :D ;)