• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
May 5, 2002
Visit site
It was cold and overcast. The Rain had just stopped but a new front looked to be moving in. Every few hours a new ocean of mood would fly into my now dismembered living space. I never did fully understand why the Poles were doing this but everytime I ask my fater, King Michael Kuchmeister von Sternburg, would curse the bastard Brandenburgers.

Most of my friends were dead. My best friend, Michael von Haber, had just died last week at the hands of the Teutonic Knights our former friends who had betrayed us as well.

We our leaving our Capital soon, 2 days to be exact. We our to go hide in with the peasents in Memel so father can oversee and lead our Army in our final attempt to liberate our lands. Despite this fact I would need to attend my lessons before we leave. I hear the nobles grumble about becomming part of the Polish empire but this I also dont understand. We did nothing to offend them so why our they attacking us. Its easy too see why Mecklemburg is trying to take our southern territory known as Danzig. I've never been there, father said its full of ruffians, but it is said to be our main source of income. I dont see why we supported Brandenburg in there attack on Pommern if they double crossed us when Poland attacked and even joined them.

"Paul, come quickly your father would like to speak too you!"

I was directed into the library. The room was seldom used, it was small and dark. It had at one time a great window for the celling, it was stained glass but you could still see out of it but that was now destroyed, replaced by a makeshift roof of ship sails and broken boards. It had been my grandfathers favorite room, it contained many books but mostly on war. My father had never taken too the arts of war instead focusing on being a diplomat and entertainer. He would spend most of his days in the ball room with various nobles of German decent. He hated all baltic people and restriced their rights in any ways he could and even denied there existance in our realm, despite the fact they were 2/3 of our population.

He called me here as his strategy room had been knocked out of existance by the various siege weapons of the Polish army. He looked quite uncomfortable as he talked too one of the lesser nobles. A deep frown went over his narrow face. His hair was messy, eyes had dark bags under both and his shoulders slouched more then usual. I couldn't make out exactly what was being said but it was obviously news on our peasents, they obviously had failed in breaking the siege in Danzig.

"Paul, how was your rest"
"Pleasent, there aim was quite off"
Things had been quite queer since the Poles had shown up. We usually could speak quite loosly, but he had been very secrative of late.

"Captain, care to explain his duty's to him?"
"Father, my duty's? You dont mean im to join the army do you?"
The captain motioned for me to sit down. My father joined him standing in front of a map. The captain was quite tall around 5 foot 10, over 6 inch's taller then my father, but only 2 inch's greater then I. He had a slight limp and a rather large lump on his outer thigh most likely from a very blunt axe.

"Paul you our too lead 4 units of pikeman in our upcomming attack.."
"What me but I ca..."
He silenced me
"Shortly after the new year we our going to attack the Polish from Memel. I cannot control a unit from the battlefield with my leg and your father is already controlling our cavalry. We our very short of officers and we've no time to train new ones".
"But how we only have 4,000 men left half of which in the Pommeranian"
"Loans Peter," my father spoke to me as if he did not remember I was jus 17, "We will worry about the money and future consequences, you will need to brush up on your tactics"
"But Captain, Father I have no exprience with ruling a unit"
"That is why you will be in reserve. Your job will be to protect our archers." With that the captain left.
"Peter you have 2 months." He tossed me a very thin book with a greek title, "learn this quickly, its all that will keep you alive".

"HOLD" I had my hand raised like the picture showed but it felt odd. My hand in a fist but slightly too tight. My arm was straight but elbow too locked. I felt my leg tremble and slipped a bit but regained my composure.

I could hear the various other commanders give complicated orders to there hardened veteran units of mercenaries and nobles, while I glanced at my green recruits who were trembling as much as I.
The few archers we had were also placed under my command. I was on a hill, a few creeks on the sides and a small line of trees in front of us. We could see over the trees easy from where the archers were, but the Pikeman were blind. The forest was quite muddy so cavalry could not get through but standard infantry would have little problem.

"HOLD" my anticipation built up. I could see the red uniforms of King Jagiello's army approaching my cousin, the Duke of Memels army of habillars. I could vaguely see my fathers infantry in the hills a little behind him too my left.

On my right the battle was already in full swing. A few of the Teutonic Knights, under the Duke of Polotsk which defected too us were slaughtering peasent armires that had been ambushed. Behind me all I could hear was screams. Many of our own peasents under a wealthy trader, John Parchim, were being slaughtered by the Polish hobilers.

"HOLD" The Duke of Memel was now in combat. It was just a matter of time now before we were called upon for action. The peasents were now routed, they held for 2 hours but now were heading to the forest.

"AIM" The Duke raised his white flag, and led his army our way. Just a few minutes and they'd be in range. We were completely hidden from the Polish army. I could see my father ready his troops and I could see the Polish peasents running from the defectors.

"FIRE" vhhimp the arrows shot past my head and 10 seconds later the first polish line hit the ground.

"DOUBLE" vhhhhimp, vhhimp 2 shots this time and their cavalry went to a stop and looked around. startled by the loss's and by the fact that Duke Von of Memel had stoppe and turned.

"FIRE" vhhimp and now the Poles started to run, but the King had cut them off. Now the Duke had pilled in and it was just a butchey. But out of the corner of my eye I had spotted a massive polish force, hidden now advancing towards my fathers men. I ordered the archers to cut them down but they just couldn't shoot fast enough. My father now pursuing the Poles had his back completely turned. I tried to signal to the defectors but they were now tangled up with the Polish hobilers.

Everything went black with horror. We first had outflanked them, now they have done it to us. The crude polish artillery, outdated by 50 years had sent a mass rocks straight into our lines. The horses had turned and started to run, but they had their legs cut our right from under them by the pursuing Poles. I had just seen my father decapitated. It was a mass slaughter, 4,000 men butchered. The Duke of Kurland now advanced slowly towards the Polish, now numbering 7,000. The enemy cavalry turned towards them and charged.
They met towards the bottom of the hill. Our archers sent a few desperation shots but hit more of our own then of the enemy. The 4,000 defectors were being beaten badly by the Polish.

"CHARGE" the peasents, under John Parchim attacked the cavalry and split the force. The peasents stood little chance. Something had to be done. I readied the pikeman, put them in the wedge. We charged through the forest, with archers firing down upon the Polish. We stood at the edge of the forest watching the carnage.

I screamed and began to sprin. My men had followed me but at a great distance. I drew my sword and just started swinging, my eyes closed. I couldn't hear a thing but the sound of my sword against the air. I swung effortlessly and had no resistance. I sprinted through there lines untill I opened my eyes and realized I was through. As I looked back all I could see was 4,000 pikeman just running over the disoriented polish. They had never seen it commin and not one man turned . Not 1 pikeman had fallen. and 4,000 Polish Knights were laying dead, through my path.

My sword was stained. Blood covered my cloths and my horse. More defectros showed up halfway through my charge and were attacking some Polish reinforcements but the day was won. I rode over to my father...the head atleast. John had followed me over and we both looked.

"He was a great man, very fair and very honest"
I nodded.
A few more soilders came over, all was silent.
A few nobles also came over too look at the carnage.
John was the first to speak, very softly, just a prayer. A few others began to pray. The rate sped up, it got a little louder. faste and louder till it was an insane chant.

"LONG LIVE THE KING".

I wish you luck. Ducal Prussia has very low chance of success in VH/Furious.

and by Ducal Prussia I mean the Prussia with Königsberg as capital, whilst Kingdom of Prussia was Brandenburg renamed :)

Anyway, good AAR so far, but for the next few hundred years, it's going to be hard.

Does it mean you won't continue writing this one? I think we have a lack of failed AARs, where the player's country goes down the drain.

Probably the new Baden AAR will fill this gap, but still - I think one can spin a better tale of how a country is lost than to do the 17356th world conquest AAR.

Originally posted by Sytass
Does it mean you won't continue writing this one? I think we have a lack of failed AARs, where the player's country goes down the drain.

Probably the new Baden AAR will fill this gap, but still - I think one can spin a better tale of how a country is lost than to do the 17356th world conquest AAR.

There really isn't much to say :(.

Normally I would...but its an hour and a half to write.

If youd like to know what happened:

1-I got in 3 wars or so with the TO/Pommern/Mecklemburg/Bremen/Saxony alliance. Followed to same fold each time...Id take Kurland..sue for peace...turn down take hinterpommern sue for peace.

2-Poland DoW'd me 3 or 4 times...they take the capital then sue for peace...I ceeded Danzig and memel in the last 2.

3-My merchants would fail, never setup an economy.

4-My army would be anhilated in 1 battle vs Poland...there 50 K would siege Prussia...

really not much to say....

Originally posted by Imperial Army
sigh

1.06 is hard

Yes it is. I'm struggling with Hessen right now. I'm still alive but I'm not out of danger. :eek:

Joe

This is one of the reasons why I like to play a game in ten year increments, then write it up. That way I won't know if I'll get slapped around until it happens. The plus is that you can write a darn good AAR in the meantime. Failed AARs are just as good as successful ones. It's all in the way you handle the material.

Good luck on the next one.

Originally posted by Lord Durham
This is one of the reasons why I like to play a game in ten year increments, then write it up. That way I won't know if I'll get slapped around until it happens. The plus is that you can write a darn good AAR in the meantime. Failed AARs are just as good as successful ones. It's all in the way you handle the material.

Good luck on the next one.

I gernerally follow the same pattern, but my internet went down so I was forced to play ahead, which I hate doing.

usually play 10 years, AAR 10. Maybe 15 if its a slow period. Its alright I suppose....I like the EEP and have a few plans for after my Ottoman game.