• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(1798)

First Lieutenant
Mar 13, 2001
Visit site
This is the bare beginnings of a V1.08 as Russia. Please excuse my lack of historical knowledge of late 15th century Dutcy of Muscovy (send me corrections and I can always edit).

This will be a short and sweet account of a diplomatic disaster. (I don't plan on writing any more).

I awoke on a cold winter night of January 1, 1492 (Julian) in my apartment in the Kremlin. My sleep had been disturbed by messages from Saint George riding in the night and giving me visions of the greater Russias. Cylindrical objects spouting flames at their bottoms and ascending to the heavens. The crescent of Islam marching along with flags of the Muscovy Eagle, Terrible screaming birds dropping pieces of exploding excrement on the Kremlin walls, horrible creatures moving on treads spouting flames, Moscow in Flames, . . . What could this all mean? Such terrible visions, but interspersed with glimpses of glory?

I called in my spiritual advisors and told them of my troublesome night's sleep as we tried to keep warm in the cold rooms of the Kremlin, the silver fox fur collar of my coat doing its best to keep me warm.

A week later I found myself in consultation with the King (Duke?). He had heard of my visions and concluded I was a mystic destined for glory who would raise The Dutchy to greatness.

Plans were immediately debated and discussed. We must immediately stop the remaining vestiges of the incursions that have rippled from the eastern steppes and Ghengis Khan. Armies had to be raised, trade with the western nations had to be developed. The technical skills of the land and the military professions had to be improved. How does one do this before being overwhelmed by the horsemen of the steppes or the greed of the of the Baltic states?

My land is sadly behind the modern states of Western Europe, my travels had seen the castles of Castille, the bustle of trade in Venice and Genoa, the terrible religous fervour of the Ottomans. My vision would require skilled diplomacy. I needed to fight a war in the near future against the Khanates and the Golden horde, but must make sure that the Baltic states would not take advantage of my efforts to protect Europe from the Nomaden.

There were rumours of growing independence in the Swedish lands. Inevitably such occurence could only mean Swedish growth at our expense. And who would counter-balance the ever land hungry Poles? I thought of Denmark. If they could keep there thumb on the Swedes and be a thorn on the back sides of the Poles perhaps we could fight the Khans.

At this time there appeared at our court two Jackals name Rosenkrantz and Guildenstern. Claiming to have intimate knowledge of Danish court politics and intrigue. Having little in the way of trained diplomats we payed them off with what little was left in the treasury after arming the peasant levies. And sent them to the Danish court, with enough money to grease the treads diplomatic maneuver.

Three years later we were ready to strike. Our armies had increase by 25%, the art of the metal ball had been taught to the peasants and friendly letters were coming back to us from Danemark.

The sacred icons were brought into the king's conference chamber, the icon of the mouse cursor was held over the map of the adjacent Khanates terretory and the right click motions made that Guildenstern had taught us were executed. (He had told us that this is the way all modern Europeans states start wars and not wanting to look backwards in the eyes of the foreign diplomats that were beginning to make court life at the Kremlin less tedious . . .)

We were at war with Danemark!! ARghhhh!!! What had happened? What had Rosenkrantz and Guildenstern done!!

Just like in Hamlet. Decapitated in England because of prince Hamlet's treachery. :D

Drakken

Rosenkrantz and Guildenstern Reply (a year or two later)

Originally posted by Drakken
Just like in Hamlet. Decapitated in England because of prince Hamlet's treachery. :D

Drakken
You've anticipated the next post. So I need to go ahead and write it.

A year or two later, Rosenkrantz and Guildenstern were overheard in a pub somewhere off the Jutland coast. Laughing about what rubes those folks in the Muscovite Duchy are:

'The Russian Prince calls us Jackals, HA, we showed him and made a pretty number of Ducats as well. Let's see where else are the pickings easy, hmmm, we've heard rumours that the AI's (administrative intelligence, Danish slang for advisors to the court), in England aren't very intelligent. Let's see if we can get a letter of introduction from the Danish court for a visit to merry England . . .'

BTW Have you read or seen the play 'Rosenkrantz and Guildenstern'; its quite intricate and hard to follow, but rather good!

Tonight I start on year 1498 or is it 1499 of the GC; interestingly enough, Denmark still has a friendly attitude towards me (the Russians), despite my DOW; I guess its like when your favorite Puppy bites you, you just wop it once with the newspaper but than are rather forgiving. Little do they know that its a Mastiff puppy. (I hope)

Last edited: