• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(9422)

General
May 22, 2002
Ah! The Red Soil of Manchuria

This is my new After Action Report. :)

Yes, yes, I know.. I planned on going back to my Rise of the Japanese Empire, but I just had to do this Manchu AAR. :D

The title of this AAR is "Ah! The Red Soil of Manchuria". It is named after a Japanese song, which was composed during the Russo-Japanese War of 1904-1905, about the Japanese soldiers who were far from home, in Manchuria fighting the Russians. Here is the basic information on the AAR:

General Information
Title: Ah! The Red Soil of Manchuria
Nation: Manchu
shield_mch.gif

Scenario: The Age of Mercantilism (1617 Scenario)

Rules
Difficulty: Normal
AI Aggressiveness: Normal
Dynamic Missions: Off
Autosave: Yearly

Goals

• Annex China
  • Annex Korea
  • Annex Nippon
  • Annex Chagatai Khanate
  • Annex Dai Viet
  • Annex Tibet (The ultimate challenge!)

I hope you all enjoy my new AAR! :)

Originally posted by Gaijin de Moscu
Great stuff! What about... annex Russia? :D :) Maybe too aggressive within 200 years even for Meiji-Tenno san though... ;)

Arigatou gozaimasu,Gaijin de Moscu san :)
Yes, far too hard..Especially because I can only see a few of their provinces... :D

Okay everyone, here comes Chapter One..

Part One: The Beginning

Chapter One: Akitomo Fuyuto

It was a cold January day, in the year of 1617. The archipelago nation of Nihon had been unified by the powerful Tokugawa clan, and the land seemed to be at peace. The land was split between the feudal lords, the daimyo, who each were loyal to the Shogun, the overlord of them all. Now, we shall travel to the northern province of Tohoku, where our tale shall begin...

"Akitomo!" a voice rang through the snowy mountains of northern Nihon, "Akitomo!!"

The voice belonged to a young lad, from the nearby farming village. He was the son of a higher-ranked farmer, and grandson of the village elder. "Akitomo!!" he called out once more, his voice echoing through the mountains.

"What?" a voice finally called back in answer, echoing through the narrow cliffs.

"Where are you?" Taro yelled out, his voice echoing.

"Right here," A hand rested a on Taro's shoulder. The voice did not echo.

Taro jumped back frightened,"A- Ah! Akitomo-sama! Your honorable father has sent me to call you back to the village. Grandfather suspects there will be a great snowstorm tonight, and so your father does not wish you to remain in these mountains."

"Ah! I see. Thank you very much for warning me, young Taro. you well know how I often get lost in these mountains," he laughed, then continued, "Now, let's return to the village"

Akitomo and Taro walked back to the village together, and within one and a half hours, had arrived safely into the village. They were very fortunate as well, for in the last stretch of the journey, a great storm was beginning. All of the farmers took refuge in their homes, eating there shares of the rice stores, except for Taro's family, who ate in the small castle of Lord Akitomo.

Akitomo was a generous, older samurai, who's father had fought alongside the great Uesugi Kenshin in all of the battles at Kawanakajima Plain. He often told tales about the famous battles that he had fought in, which Akitomo could never get enough of.

The elder of the village had also fought in all of the Kawanakajima battles, against the powerful lord, Takeda Shingen. He was an ashigaru in the Uesugi armies. An ashigaru under the command of Akitomo, in fact.

Akitomo was a very poor samurai, and his castle was not much more than an enlarged farmer's shack. His only lands were that little, little farming village, which contained a rather small population of farmers.

All of the farmers of the village, as well as the samurai, greatly enjoyed themselves day-to-day. Akitomo was a kindly lord, who was very generous to his people. He even gave the farmers an equal amount of rice as he had. Every winter, a Tokugawa tax official would make his way to the provinces of Tohoku, and collect the government's share in the year's rice.

The Tokugawa Shoguns had brought peace to Nihon. A peace that seemed like it would last forever. However, these samurai still trained in their fighting skills everyday, in case the peace was come to an end, and they would have to fight once more. The only son of Lord Akitomo, Akitomo Fuyuto was a master in the ways of the sword and bow. Lord Akitomo was very proud of his son's skill in these two arts of war. Fuyuto was also an excellent scholar, a master at calligraphy.

The days of winter passed on, every day as cheerful as the last. Soon, spring came, and the cherry blossoms came into view, the only part of the seasons of spring and summer that was to the liking of Fuyuto, who only liked the seasons of winter and autumn. Was it that his first and last name had 'aki' (autumn) and
'fuyu' (winter) in them that he liked those two seasons? Nobody would ever know, but it could definitely be a possibility.

Taro and Fuyuto, who were both of the same age, 16 years, and had been friends since childhood, watched the cherry blossoms bloom, and fall from the trees. "The cherry blossom is like a samurai," Fuyuto told Taro, "It is beautiful, yet only lasts for a short time, dying at a slight breeze."

The days of spring were filled with the tedious work of planting the rice. The season went by at a reasonably fast pace for the village, as the inhabitants worked almost nonstop all day, everyday.

Soon, summer came, and its terrible heat with it. Fuyuto disliked this hot season, but was contented at the fact that autumn and winter closely followed it. He prayed at the local shrine several times a week, for a good harvest in that year. "The gods will surely bless us with a good rice harvest!" Taro had always said.

Soon, summer had ended, and the leaves of the forests in the vast forests in the endless Tohoku mountain were changing color, and soon falling off of the trees. A crisp and cold autumn breeze blew through the land. "Ah! What perfect weather!" Fuyuto could be heard saying nearly every fine morning.

Autumn, like spring, went by relatively fast. The harvest, as Fuyuto had prayed for so many times, was the most plentiful in years. The farmers spent their days gathering the bountiful harvest. Yet, there was so much that no matter how much and long they picked, they never seemed to make a dent in those rice fields.

During the harvest, Taro once told Fuyuto jokingly, "I think you prayed for too good of a harvest!"

Fuyuto replied, "Oh? Is that so? Is thateven possible?", the two laughed and walked away from eachother.

After a season of hard work, the farmers, now exhausted, had finally completed collecting the harvest, Lord Akitomo payed his due taxes, and a bit extra, to the Shogunate, and the village prepared to enjoy the winter.

It was a fine winter indeed; filled with feasts and celebrations of the excellent year, held by generous old Lord Akitomo himself!

The New Year came, and many of the farmers, even Taro, prayed at the shrine for a year as bountiful as the last. Taro and Fuyuto celebrated their seventeeth birthdays, and the last few months of winter were enjoyed by all.

Though Nihon was filled with peace, there was a growing power on the mainland. A growing power with Nihon could not avoid. And neither could the nations of Korea and China, or any others that would get into its path. It was a small nation in northeastern Asia, inhabited by a united people, who wandered the snowy plains. The nation was Manchu. A nation prepared to erupt...

OH NO!:eek: ANOTHER MEIJI-TENNO AAR! And I have so much work right now with my thesis, and my extra courses.... and my girlfriend is gonna kill me if I don't spend more time with her... and I have to go to Copenhagen and...

Well, that'll have to wait. M-T AARs always come first!:D :D :D

Originally posted by Eochaid
OH NO!:eek: ANOTHER MEIJI-TENNO AAR! And I have so much work right now with my thesis, and my extra courses.... and my girlfriend is gonna kill me if I don't spend more time with her... and I have to go to Copenhagen and...

Well, that'll have to wait. M-T AARs always come first!:D :D :D

Wahahaha!! I am taking over your mind!! Wahahahaha :D

Sugoi! Chapter wa, doko? :D :D

Hahaha :D Chapter wa koko desu yo! ;)

Chapter Two: The Invaders

The next few years were very peaceful in the nation of Nihon. But things were very busy in the courts of China, Korea, and Manchuria. The Manchu's improved relaltions with Korea to an outstanding level. They also became friendly with China, and established Royal Marriages with both of those nations.

Manchu was clearly planning to take over Korea. The Manchu Empire had no navy at all; only a well trained, fierce, massive army, led by ingenious commanders, often the empire's monarchs. The Empire of China realized the potential threat, and built an alliance with several nations of Southeast Asia, Tibet, and Korea. The Manchu's knew they would have to be an in alliance with Korea if a peaceful annexation was to be carried out.

The Tokugawa Shogunate, at about this time, became involved in the political matters of the mainland. The Tokugawa's seeing the power of the Manchu's, attempted to ally with the country, but were rejected. Tokugawa Iemitsu had made a plan to invade Ming China, which was becoming torn apart by civil war. Manchu was the obvious ally in such an effort.

The Manchu's, after rejecting an alliance with Nihon, joined the alliance that China had founded. The Chinese finally accepted, as they were fooled by the Manchu's overkindness. Now, Tokugawa Iemitsu, not yet hearing of the Manchu Empire's entrance into the alliance of the Ming Empire, and Korea, declared war on China. Thousands of Kyushu samurai sailed across the sea to China, and began their invasion.

China, called upon her allies to help in this time of need. Manchu accepted the plea, expecting Korea to do the same. However, the Koreans denied to help China, and went so far as to leave the alliance. The Manchu leaders would have done the same, had they known Korea would have denied. They could have made an alliance of only them and Korea, allowing them to take that country for themselves, through peaceful annexation.

Now, the Manchu's decided not to worry about what happened, but try to make the best of their new war. First, as an Empire without a navy, they would need to construct a fleet with which they could cross the sea to Nihon. All of the coastal provinces of the Empire began to build warships and transports ships. However, Kansai samurai sailed across to Manchuria, and began invading the land. They could only get so far: The Manchu armies won quick, decisive victories over the samurai, and sent them back to Nihon.

The Tokugawa's saw that Manchu could not cross the sea to fight them, and so hastily declared war on Korea, to gain a foothold on the mainland of Asia, and try to slay the "Threat of the North", the name that many surrounding countries now began to refer to the Manchu as. About twenty-three thousand samurai from Kyushu, Kanto, and Kansai invaded Korea. The Koreans were beaten out at first, and were chased out into Manchuria.

They pled for help from the Manchu's, who quickly joined up arms with them. The combined Manchu and Korean forces heavily outnumbered the samurai, and chased them back to their ships. The Korean King greatly thanked the Manchu, and relations improved enourmously. The Manchu armies now marched back into Manchuria; the navy was now complete.

About thirteen thousand men could get onto the navy at once. The ships were crowded with troops, and sailed across the spring waters to Ezochi, the large island of northern Nihon. There were only one thousand defenders, of which just finished their training and so were highly inexperienced. This force quickly fell to the Manchu's, and Hakodate was besieged.

While the siege commenced, the navy sailed back to the Manchurian coastline, where it picked up another thirteen thousand soldiers. Now, about twenty-six thousand men would be overseas, fighting, and the other thirty-six thousand remained at home, defending Manchu territory. By the time the fleet arrived off the coast of northern Nihon, the city of Hakodate had just about fallen to the Manchu troops. So, it was planned for the new troops to start an invasion of the mainland of Nihon. The target: Tohoku.

On the way towards the coast, the powerful fleet of Nihon met with the Manchu navy. Now, a great naval battle began. There was fierce fighting in those stormy waters off the coast of Tohoku. The battle ended in a decisive victory for the Manchu's. This was a great accomplishment for it indeed, as it had won its very first battle, and against a powerful, well-trained opponent.

The troops landed on the shores of Tohoku, and set up camp. The fleet headed north, towards Ezochi. Shortly before it arrived at the shores, Hakodate had fallen. The army there boarded the ships, which sailed south to Tohoku, and the men met with their allies at the camp, which was set up in deep woods, in the mountains.

Now, we shall return to that small village of Tohoku in the mountains, in which our story began. In that village of Lord Akitomo. Akitomo was not called upon for any of the invasions of the mainland, and was only ordered to prepare himself, his son, and his peasants for a possible defence of Manchu invasion.

Akitomo Fuyuto was now twenty-three years old, and the village remained much the same annually for the last six years. This year, however, was to be different. A messenger came to Akitomo from the Shogun himself, telling him and his son to prepare for a battle in defence of Tohoku. All of the peasants were to stay home in case the village was attacked, Taro's old grandfather being the commander-in-chief for the force.

Akitomo father and son mounted their horses, and traveled southwest, where the army was being assembled. The ride was silent, and they spoke little to eachother on the whole trip. Finally, they had met with the rest of the defence force, now complete upon their arrival. It consisted of about thirty thousand men. The army now marched north towards the plain that would become the battlefield against the enemy.

Both sides set up their ranks, and marched forward. There was fierce and loud battle cries, and screams of those being cut down. Lord Akitomo and his son, Fuyoto, bravely charged forward on their horses through enemy lines. They cut down many men. The battle seemed to be going well for the Tohoku samurai!

However, then the Manchu warriors began to gain the upperhand. The Manchu's displayed ingenious cavalry tactics, and fought in ways which the samurai could not match. Soon, most of the samurai were killed, and the survivors, many of which wounded, were falling back. Now, from the left flank, a force of Manchu infantry marched forward.

In desparation, Akitomo yelled to Fuyuto, "Quick! You lead them! All of you, run! I will hold them off!"

Akitomo Fuyoto gasped, and chased his father, "But, but.. You can't do it! We should all run!"

Lord Akitomo threw him back, and demanded that they all run immediately. Fuyuto opened his mouth to protest, but his father's glare, forced him to turn back. He led the men in a retreat. Looking back, he saw his father kill many many of the enemy Manchu warriors. However, he was soon surrounded, and killed. Fuyuto turned his head forward, and whiped a tear off of his cheek.

After a few days of travel, all of the samurai split up, all ashamed of their defeat. Many went home in deep despair, while others committed seppuku. Akitomo Fuyuto returned to his village. He was shocked and despaired at what he found when he returned...

The whole village was burnt to the ground, some buildings surviving, but on fire and with terrible damage already. There was nothing living in the whole village. Everyone, all of the farmers, elders, craftsmen -- even poor Taro and his grandfather -- were killed. Their bodies were strewn about the dirt roads of the village, of which had became flowing rivers of blood. The Manchu's had reached the town before him, and did all of this. Now they had left. Akitomo Fuyuto was the only survivor.

He now prepared for hari-kiri, but was stopped. Several men grabbed him and stopped him. Akitomo looked up. Some Manchu warriors had grabbed him! Akitomo struggled to break free, but was unsuccessful. He felt a blow on his head, and then everything turned black.

Hours later, he woke up. It was dark, and Akitomo looked at his surroundings, finding he was in a small tent. There was a fire outside. Fuyuto got up and peered out the tent's flap -- right into the eyes of a Manchu soldier!

"Ah!" the warrior called out, bringing silence upon the camp, "Our captive has awakened!"

Murmurs broke out around the crowd. The soldier reached in and pulled Akitomo out. Young Akitomo was dragged to the area near the fire. Akitomo looked up, and saw a man lavishly dressed. A soldier next to this man called out to Akitomo in broken Nihongo "Bow before our glorious monarch, Nurhachi!"

Akitomo quickly pressed his forhead to the ground, afraid that these barbarians would torture him to death, and started rattling off formalities to Nurhachi, who could only laugh at the young samurai. Finally, Nurhachi told Akitomo to stop and listen, through his interpreter.

"Now," Nurhachi began, the Manchu interpreter translating to Akitomo was the wise Manchu Emperor was saying, "We fought against you and your father in that great battle, a mere few days ago. Your father was a very brave man indeed. In fact, he killed thirty-nine of my finest men" Nurhachi stopped, and smiled, seeming to take in joy remembering the thought of the bloodshed, "Now, I have that brave warrior's head," Nurhachi's teeth flashed, and he displayed the severed, bloody head of Akitomo's father. Akitomo flinched, and then tried to keep his eyes away.

Nurhachi laughed, "Now, I would have wished for this man to be among my men. He was so brave. So valorous. So powerful" Nurhachi looked off into the distance, as in a dream, then abruptly looked back at Akitomo, "I believe that you" he pointed at Akitomo, "will one day be as great a man as he. I would be honored for you to be among my men."

Akitomo was shocked. "So, they want me to be one of them?" he thought, relieved they would not torture him.

"So," Nurhachi concluded, "Will you join my armies? If you don't, I am afraid you will meet a horrible death before sunrise."

Akitomo laughed to himself, half in fear, and half in pleasure at this strange man, "I believe I have no choice" he said at last.

Nurhachi smiled broadly, "Ah! I am happy you see it my way! Now, you will sleep. As soon as our invasion of this land is complete, we shall return home to Manchuria, and you shall be taught the ways of the Manchu, and taught our language as well. I believe you have made the right choice". And Nurhachi waved Akitomo off.

Last edited:
Very nice, ne! Tanoshii desu yo.

Very different style from the previous two, which I really like. My browser now has a number of links which I will have to call "Meiji-Tenno: Full Collection of Specials" :D

Akitomo san ni amari shinpai shinai youni itte kudasai :D I am sure he will be OK, deshio??!!! Full respect for what he did so far.

_

Underground, he was just thanking me ;) as a very polite person he is... :D

Very nice, ne! Tanoshii desu yo.

Arigatou ;)

Very different style from the previous two, which I really like.

Yes, yes.. I have decided to write this one differently than the previous two. As you all have probably seen from the first two chapters, the main storyline is about a samurai who is captured by the Manchu. Thank you. :)

My browser now has a number of links which I will have to call "Meiji-Tenno: Full Collection of Specials" :D

Oh! Hontou desu ka? :confused: Thank you! :D

Akitomo san ni amari shinpai shinai youni itte kudasai :D I am sure he will be OK, deshio??!!! Full respect for what he did so far.

Iie. Akitomo will be roasted alive!! :p Er.. We will have to wait and see ;) :D

Chapter Three: The Surrender of China, Nihon, and Korea

The next morning, Akitomo awakened. He yawned and stretched, and then sat up. He then looked around and listened, studying his surroundings. It was very bright, and he could see it was clearly mid-morning. He then listened. He heard voices outside, but could not hear what they were saying. He crawled closer to the opening of the tent, and began listening. One of the voices was speaking his own language! That interpreter from the night before was speaking as well, and it sounded like he was translating the words of Nurhachi, and the other fellow.

Just then, the flap of the tent swung open, and that same, strange-looking Manchu warrior from last night's face appeared almost up to mine. "Bah!" he yelled, just loud enough for everyone else in the camp to hear, "Listening in on someone else's conversation, I see! We roast people who act like that! So, let's go roast you now!"

Fuyuto could not understand a word that this thick-skulled Manchu said, but it didn't sound good. The soldier grabbed Akitomo, as he tried to scuttle back into the tent, and dragged him out onto the dirt, and dragged the young samurai over to where Nurhachi and his Nihongo-speaking guest was.

The two looked down at Akitomo, then went back to their discussion. However, he only heard the end, and they only exchanged mere formalities at the end. It was to be after the guest left that Nurhachi explained to everyone what had happened. He began his speech, and the interpreter translated his words for Akitomo. This is what he said:

"Brave and valorous warriors of the great Manchu Empire, I have excellent news for all of you. I have just been given word by a diplomat of the Tokugawa Shogunate that Nihon will surrender. They will give us their northern provinces for peace. This is advantageous, for we have not yet taken this land of Tohoku, and will now get it without a fight. We also get Ezochi, to the north. We have agreed to these terms."

This was followed by cheers and celebrations. The Manchu Army now prepared for its return journey home. The Manchu Navy sailed to the western shore, and the troops marched west to it. It was only a few days of travel before the ships were reached. Now, the fleet sailed across the Sea of Nihon, and arrived back at Manchuria.

The victorious armies celebrated their glorious victories over Nihon, and then went to their training. The interpreter stayed at the side of Akitomo Fuyoto and told him that Nurhachi would see him in just a few days, after he finished with all of his ruling affairs that had to come first. "I shall stay with you," he said, "and translate what people say to you for these few days."

The translator also brought Akitomo to his quarters in Nurhachi's grand palace in the province of Jilin. He had a place for him to sleep, which Akitomo spent most of his time doing for those few days. He was very tired from all of the changes in only the last few weeks.

One morning, the interpreter told Akitomo about himself. His name was Naomasa, the son of a wako pirate. His father was a pirate from Kyushu, who raided the coastline of China, Korea, and Manchuria. He was later captured by the Manchu, who honored his bravery from the fight that took place before his capture, and let him go, as long as he no longer raided the shorelines of Manchuria. When his son, Naomasa, was born, he sent him to the Manchu's to educate and raise him.

Another morning, the interpreter came to Akitomo with news. He told how China had surrendered to Nihon, just a few days ago. "They have given much gold, and their coastal province of Zhejiang to Nihon!" he exclaimed.

Finally, several days later, he was summoned to the courts of Nurhachi. The wise old Emperor began by speaking of his worries about Nihon and Korea. Since Korea had left the alliance, they did not yet make peace with Nihon. Now, the Tokugawa's sent samurai to Korea, and began an invasion of the peninsula. A successful one at that. And Nurhachi could not do anything to save Korea. Then, he gave a speech to Akitomo Fuyuto, telling him of his plans. Once again, the interpreter, Naomasa, translated for Akitomo.

"Ah, the son of the brave warrior of Tohoku! You shall for every day from now on, live in the Manchu Empire. You shall remain a samurai, but I hope that you will fight in our Manchu armies. You will now go with Naomasa, my trusted interpreter and scholar, and learn from him our language. You may now go"

Akitomo and Naomasa bowed, and left the room. Akitomo's lessons began, and he quickly learned the basics.

In the imperial courts, Emperor Nurhachi and his nobles worried about the Korea problem. They In the next few months, Nihon took over Kyongju, and then about two months after that, Yalu. They made peace with Korea, and took over Kyongju in their demands.

Immediately after this war, Nurhachi left the alliance with China, telling the Chinese they were "Too weak and unworthy to be allied to a "near-invincible" empire as his own", and then formed an alliance with Korea. In about a year, Korea became his vassal. Now, Nurhachi also improved relations with Nihon, and got the Tokugawa's to accept his offer of alliance as well. Nurhachi was not prepared to fight on those islands again right now, and knew that this would keep him safe for the time being.

The next several years would be filled with diplomacy, and no combat -- Except in China, which was becoming torn apart by rebels, after their loss to Nihon. Manchu relations with Korea and Nihon sored high, while those with China were reaching an all-time low. Soon, China went so far as to declare war on Manchu, and its allies!

Translations

Nihongo - Japanese (language)

wako pirate - Pirates who ruled the seas of east Asia at about this time. Originally, most of them were Japanese from Kyushu, but eventually many Chinese and Koreans began to become them too.

Arigatou - Thank you

:)

Originally posted by Stroph1
I like the angle of a Japanese samurai vaptured by the Manchurians. How will you present this when the samurai dies?

Nice start!

:D

Thank you, Stroph1! :)

I have already decided what to do for when the samurai dies -- You will all find out then ;)

Originally posted by Dan Cook
Jeez ANOTHER M-T AAR?

Yeah.. :D

OK everyone. I am going to try to get in about one chapter a day (With a few days off maybe ;) ). In the game, I am in the late 1670's, and am playing it everyday. :D Now, it is late, and I go sleep :eek: Another update tomorrow! :)

Meiji-Tenno

I see your at it again Meiji-Tenno.:) I like the style you've chosen for this story. I also like the way you've portrayed Akitomo. Very human in being smart enough to agree to join the Manchurians rather than die. He's a very smart fellow. :D

Joe