• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(11633)

Field Marshal
Nov 11, 2002
members.lycos.co.uk
Hello all, I've read some of your AARs with mirth and admiration, so I decided to do one of my own. I haven't seen many done on Persia (Iran), so I decided to do one of my own. Here is the beginning.

Aryana Redux- The history of Safavid Persia

Prologue- Iran, up to the foundation of the Safavid State

Iran has an ancient history. Under the Achmenaeid dynasty, Iran or Persia was at the time the largest empire seen in history, controlling a vast area stretching from Egypt to the Indus River, the frontiers of India. Achmenaeid Persia was destroyed by Alexander the great, before falling into disarray, and the rise of the Parthian Arascid dynasty. This was later succeeded by the powerful Sassanid dynasty, who ruled from the 4th century AD to the 7th. In these times, most Iranians (or Aryans- Iran means “Home of the Aryans”) were followers of the teaching of Zarathustra. This changed during the 7-8th centuries, when the Muslims under Caliph Umar rode out from Arabia, leading to the downfall of the Sassanids and the establishment of Islam in Iran.

During the medieval period, the fortunes of Iran would be dictated by the fortunes of the various Islamic caliphates. She prospered under the Abassid dynasty, but as Islam became divided her riches were faught over by a variety of invaders. The Seljuq Turks established their rule over much of Persia, but weakened by the attentions of the Assassins, they fell into disarray. This allowed another Turkish group, the Kwazrim Turks, to take control, for a brief period. Before consolidating their rule however, the Kwazrim were destroyed by a much more savage and disciplined invader, the Mongols of Chenghis Khan. They established the Il-Khanate of Persia, ruled mostly by the house of Hulegu, for many decades. The Il-Khanate was later replaced by the savage conqueror Timur Lenk (Timur the Lame, hence Tamerlane), and much of Persia’s greatest cities were laid waste by the hordes of Timur. Timur failed to consolidate his rule, and his much more benevolent successors, such as Ulug Beg and Shah Rukh, were unable to maintain control. Persia passed to the rule of the Turkish hordes of the Ak Koyonlu (The White Sheep), who having destroyed their brothers the Qara Koyonlu (Black Sheep), drove the Timurids out of Persia and ruled a large part of the middle east. And it was from the Ak Koyonlu that a new Iranian dynasty would emerge, founded by Ismael Safav, himself of Turkic origins, who would found the greatest Persian dynasty since the fall of the Sassanids almost a thousand years earlier.

The foundation of the Safavid state cannot be explained in terms of nations- “nationalism” would have no meaning in the late 15th century. Instead, the foundation of the Safavid state was due to the religious divisions within Islam. The founder, Ismael Safav was of the Shia sect- the theological differences between the Shiites and the majority Sunni are too complex to explain in detail here, but it is sufficient to say that the Shiites were normally a persecuted minority, hated by the majority Sunni population. Each regarded themselves as the only true followers of Allah, whose words the prophet Mohammed had brought. But due to differences in interpretation of the Quran and the Hadith, each regarded the other as foul heretics, and any Sunni ruler saw it as his duty to attack any Shiite ruler, and vice versa.

Shiite influence in Iran had always been present, but had been only a small minority, probably even less important than the remnants of Zarathustrianism. This changed however, largely due to the influence of one man- the charismatic, mysterious, yet energetic, intelligent and tactically brilliant Ismael Safav, a Shiite mystic of obscure Turkic origins. Slowly, Shiite influence within Iran grew. This naturally displeased the Sunni rulers of the Ak Koyonlu- until 1492 the Shiites were troublemakers, but could safely be ignored. This changed however, when the Khan of the White Sheep, in January 1492 announced a most savage persecution of the Shiites. As the only thing a Shiite spoke was lies, they would have their mouth sewn shut, or their throats ripped out. Thousands of Shiites were killed, and Safav’s movement turned from a peaceful unimportant religious movement into a full scale rebellion. As the Ak Koyonlu were not very careful where their persecutions were directed, many Sunni Iranians were unjustly targeted. All throughout 1492, The Shiites grew in strength, as more and more people followed Safav. In their minds Safav was changed from a dangerous rebel and heretic, to an unjustly persecuted innocent, before becoming a revered leader of Iran and finally, into a near saint, who would guide his people into a new era of peace and prosperity, leaving behind the devastations of the Chenghis Khan and Timur Lenkh.

Safav possessed not only charisma, but also great military ability- throughout 1492 his forces slowly gained strength, and defeated the Ak Koyonlu hordes in numerous battles. By 1493, Safav had gained control of much of Iran, from Isfahan to Mekran, with his capital in Tabaristan. A temporary peace came when infighting within the Ak Koyonlu over how to deal with Safav allowed a temporary respite, and the consolidation of Safav’s territories into an organised state. However, this was only temporary, and in February 1493, the Sultan of the White Sheep declared a jihad against Safav and announced his intention to destroy the Shiites once and for all. The war however, was never really in any doubt, and the Safav’s force quickly overcame the remnants of the hordes, and forced the Ak Koyonlu to surrender numerous territories to the Safav, including Iranian Sunni territories such as Khorosan, and even the Christian lands of Armenia. By 1495, Safav had brought peace to Persia, and was proclaimed Shah of Iran, and Caliph, although his second title was recognised only by the Shiites. Safav was almost universally hailed as the saviour of Iran. Such was the esteem with which he was held, that the majority of Sunnis converted to the path of Shia- even the Armenians abandoned their Christian beliefs, although there were some riots by Christian rebels which had to be out down. Safav could now begin his tasks in earnest- the rebuilding of Iran, and the holy mission to convert the Sunni Muslims and other infidels to Shia.

Very nice potted summary of the history of Persia Gjerg. Of course, the history goes back thousands of years earlier to the Babylonians etc., but that's not really what we're here for.

Good luck with all those forced conversions, anyway. I'll be reading with interest.

Some screenshots would be nice to help visualize your otherwise great summary.

I'm looking forward to seeing where you go with this Gjerg. I assume that an alliance with the Mameluks is the first order of business? ;)

Joe

I'll post screen shots and updates later tonight.

Owen- I've had some early success for conversions, but I'll leave that to the pictures. As for Iran, well, I could have mentioned the dynasties back to the semi-mythical Pishdadian (Paradata) dynasty, or how archaeologically The Gorgan Grey Ware cultural complex (Gorgan, being the modern name of Hyrcania) was ancestral to what appears in Iron age Persia, but I didn't. Too rich culturally.

Sorcerer- Patience! I'll get to it tonight.

Francesco Moro- We'll see. I will have the Turks turn to the true faith yet! (Well, I haven't done it yet, and their land tech is ten levels ahead of mine, so it might be a while). But they will fall- Mwa ha ha ha ha!

Storey- No, I maed an alliance with Oman. The mamelukes got into an alliance with a sunni power, when the sunnis were the leader... but that's getting ahead of the story.

I considered startign a Persia AAR a while back, but it fell through. Good luck, I can't wait to see an extablishment of the old Achamedian Empire. Crush those damn Turks and the pitiful Mamelukes. The Middle East will be yours once again!

Ah, I've got Screenshots, but does anyone know where I can post them? I don't have any webspace or anything. Thanks for the support all. This is just a quick update. But its going well- did someone say Turks? Bwahahahahah! :D

BTW, I'm playing on Very Hard/Furious. I try to avoid reloads, but it crashes to windows every decade or so, so I can't really avoid them.

I also try and be in a war (hopefully with a CB) every year, to grab war taxes. Shia has a 20% drop in tax income. For a non-cultured different religion region not connected to the capital, I gain precisely 10% of taxes. :eek: Even a Shia province connected to the capital I gain only 50% taxes if not Persian. :( War taxes are a must for not falling behind terribly!

My Basic Aims are the following

1. Build up Persia to a position of strength (obviously)
2. Improve trade and Infrastructure
3. Convert the Sunni's to the true faith, by force conversion. Preferably in the order of

A. Our former masters, the White Sheep.
B. Those potentially dangerous but initially weak Mughals
C. The Hedjaz, keepers of the Holy places of Mecca and Medina
D. Various Indian nations
E. The Ottoman Turks (This will be tough!)
F. Anyone else, starting with the Mongols, Khazaks etc, Indonesians, East Africans, North africans, and west africans when the time comes.

4. Expand into various areas, such as

A. All my CB shields
B. India
C. The Spice Islands
D. East Africa, because its there
E. Siberia (one day)

5. Gain preferably by peaceful diplonnexation, but if necessary by military force, as many COTs as possible, to finance conversion efforts.

6. Pump fellow shiites full of gold so that they can convert the sunnis to the true path.

7. Take out everyone else, if I have the patience. (unlikely)

Part One- The first campaign.

The existence of this heretic state is a threat to all Islam. Safav is inspired by the Shaitan. He must be stopped.

Timur ad-Din, Mufti of Astrakhan, at the beginning of the war with Astrakhan.

Safav's victories are ordained by Allah. All Muslims should follow in his righteous path.

Timur ad-Din, Mufti of Astrakhan. Approximately 6 years after the conclusion of the war with Astrakhan.

Safav’s first campaign was against what some historians would call an “Easy Target”. Safavid Persia was for the most part surrounded by hostile Sunni states. Only a few Shiite States existed- the tiny and unimportant Baluchistan, the rich but militarily weak Omani Arabs, and the relatively powerful Mameluke nobles, who controlled a large area, but whose rule seemed forever unstable. The enemies of Savad were much more powerful. To the north, the Khanates of Kazan, Crimea, and Astrakhan ruled the European steppe. To the northwest, the Uzbekhs, the remnants of the Timurid empire, and the Chagatai and Sibir Khanates, as well as the Khazak and Nogai hordes fought against each other for control of Central Asia. In India, the Delhi sultanate and its vassals of Gujurat and Malwa expressed their fervent opposition to Savav’s rebellion, ans when so far as to finance unprovoked revolts in the Baluchi province of Mekran To the south, the small Sunni Arab states of Aden and the Hedjaz, unimportant but for their control of the holy places of Islam, Mecca and Medina. But the most formidable enemy was to the west, where the heirs of Sultan Osman, the Ottoman Turks ruled. Their military tactics were far in advance of the Persian army, their reserves of men, horses, gold and cannon were far in advance of anything the Persians could provide. Each year seemed to see a new military advance by the Ottomans, as their armies were reformed. They were also allied with the Mongol Khans of Crimea and Kazan, and most surprisingly, the Christian European nation of Denmark, although how this unholy alliance came about no Persian knew.

In 1495, the Shia state was still weak from the wars and needed time to recover. It was equally clear that their enemies did not wish to grant them this time. In order to temporarily frighten their enemies, Safav’s generals offered a risky strategy. The Khanate of Astrakhan was weakened by constant fighting with their kinsmen of the Golden Horde. They were forced to become vassals of the Golden horde, as well as surrender all of their territory bar their capital. The Khan of the Crimea declared war, hoping to profit from the prostration of Astrakahn to take advantage. Astrakhan included a small Shia minority, who were troubled by idea of Crimean rule, whose attitude towards them was especially harsh. Thus at their behest, Safav decided to gain Astrakhan for himself. War was declared, the small army of Astrakhan was quickly dispersed, and Astrkahn besieged. More casualties were lost to the winter, but soon Astrakhan was taken, and annexed shortly afterwards. This caused Persia’s enemies to reevaluate their position, and probably prevented a war. Persia had shown she was not an enemy to be treated lightly.

Stay tuned for Tomorrow's thrilling Installment-

Part 2- Taming the Tiger!

Last edited:
Try this thread from the AARtifacts for your screenies.

Good job, getting that trade center early on (it is a trade center, right?).

Part 2- Taming the Tiger

The war with Astrakhan ended in 1496. The next 4 years were spent rebuilding, as Safav made laws governing taxation, as well as developing and expanding trade. Agreements were signed with other nations, and new wealth was slowly developing from trade. However, dark clouds were gathering on the Horizon. Th Ak Koyonlu had still not given up their hopes regaining their lost territory, and devised a diabiolical plan to destroy Persia. They made an alliance with Persia's eastern neighbour, Baluchistan. Obviously this was a plan to try and attack from both sides at once, as Baluchistan was known to covet the province of Mekran. Realising that war was better to come sooner rather than later, Safav, hearing of troops buildups by Baluchistan on the border, decided to strike first by attacking the Ak Koyonlu- there was also a chance that they could still be saved and put on the righteous path. In November 1500, Safav declared war. The situation was so serious, that the women of the capital, Tabaristan, begged Safav to lead the war personally. Safav led the Iranian forces to a quick victory over the Ak Koyonlu, despite some setbacks when Basrah was seized and plundered. Fortunately, Baluchistan realised the folly of supporting the Ak Koyonlu, and accepted a white peace shortly afterwards. It was not until August 1504 that the White sheep were defeated- as part of the peace deal, the war mongering Sunni Imams were forced into exile, and pro-Persian Shiites replaced them. However, there was still one issue outstanding, the status of Azerbaijan, which all Iranians regarded as their own territory, despite its Turkish Sunni inhabitants. But that issue would have to wait. For an old enemy had renewed itself, and threatened to destroy all Safav had accomplished.

http://pictures.care2.com/view/2/537277493

In a brief period of peace following the war, Persia attempted to improve relations with her neighbours. The governor of Hormouz married the niece of the Baluchi sutan- The sheik of Oman allowed Persian troops to cross his territory freely, and an alliance was made with the Mameluke nobles, the most formidable Shiite power in the world, although no-one could quite remember when they had converted. The sultan of Oman was threatened by maurauding bands of Bedouin, who destroyed their trading posts in Damman and Qattar- at the behest of the Sheik, Persian forces attacked the bedouin, forcing them to flee into the impenetrable Arabian desert. As a reward Persia was allowed to establish trading posts in these territories.

(Ok, so I marched my troops in, the natives attacked, I left, and they destroyed Oman's trading Posts. A bit exploitative, but it gave me the frontier province colonist bonus).

In Mid 1504, a new ruler had taken control of the crumbling Timurid Empire, and pledged to expand into India and Persia, making a new empire vaster than even that of Timur Lenkh. Babur, known as the Tiger, had enormous ambitions, but also enormous military skill. He created a new empire, known as the Mughal empire, rumour had it with the help of 6 evil scientists. It was hoped that peace could be preserved, and that the Tiger's aggression could be diverted elsewhere, but that was not to be. A plot was discovered in the Eastern provinces between a few Sunni clansmen who had refused to convert and had reached an agreement to actively support a Mughal Invasion, which was planned for the winter of 1505. The Chagatai Khanate was also found to be supporting the invasion, hoping to rekindle the conquering spirit of Chinghis Khan, although most of the Chagatai "Mongols" spoke Turkish dialects. Later that year, Babur even went as far to insult the Safav personally, implying he was some kind of fusion between a cross eyed donkey and a she rat- these provocations could no longer be ignored. Persia declared war in August 1505, and attacked Mughal territory. However, the war as nearly lost, due to Babur's brilliance. Persian scouts noted that the main Mughal army, numbering more than 20,000 men, was stranded on the Border of Baluchistan, as heavy rains had delayed the moving of siege artillery. Babur and some 2000 men were without reinforcments in the Mughal capital of Kabul (modern day Afghanistan). A Persian force of 8000 men, of whom 3000 were mounted, attempted to attack Kabul and capture Babur- however, amazingly, although outnumbered 4 to 1 and with no cavalry support, Babur furiously attacked the flanks of a Persian column in a deadly ambush. Even more amazingly, he proceeded o follow up his victory by attacking the Persians again in the province of Kushka, again routing the demoralised Persians, and driving them across the border back to Iran. It looked as though no one could stop Babur, or possibly match his military abilites- but there was one man- Ismael Safav.

Babur and the main Mughal army formed together in Kushka. After several months of preparations, Safav prepared to strike. He led a main strike force, composed of 12,000 infantrymen, mostly spearmen and bowmen, into battle with Babur. Once again, Babur was hindered by his reluctance to abandon his heavy siege artillery, which could not be replaced- this allowed the Persians the time they needed to manouver successfully. Initially, it looked as though Babur would defeat Safav- the Persians were in a box formation, with the lightly armoured archers protected by a surrounding cordon of spearmen. Babur succeeded in using his cavalry to destroy a weak spot, where the Persian square was disrupted by the mountainous terrain. However, just when defeat looked certain, wave after wave of Persian cavalry arrived from seemingly every direction at once. The Persians gained heart, and succeeded in pushing back Babur's cavalry, before overrunning his guns, and surrounding the remaining, demoralised infantry. Babur was himself seriously wounded when his own cavalry fled, unseating him from his horse, and giving his a bad fall. An honorable surrender was offered, and prisoners were allowed to go free, provided they surrendered their arms, which was accepted. Babur would spend several years as the honoured, but heavily guarded guest of Safav. Many nights, discussions of Astronomy, Chemistry and philosophy could be heard between Safav and Babur, but Babur was a most reluctant guest, and due to several escape attempts, Safav finally decided to have him

The heart of the Mughal army had been ripped out, but the Chagatai Khan fought on. Like the Mongols of old, they would fly down from the Steppe, dispatch their deadly arrows, before disappearing back into the limitless expanse. There were both defeats and victories, but the victories could never be followed up, for the Chagatai would retreat before a victory could be dealt. However, like the Mongols, they had a weakness, and were easily bought off in 1507 for a chest containing 25 pounds of gold. However, this method of acquiring peace was seen as somewhat cowardly- a plague that devastated Tabriz that year was widely seen as the punishment of God for cowardice in buying off the Mongols.

Nevertheless, the war against the Mughals continued. It took until 1511 to finally crush all remaining resistance- numerous fortresses held out until starved out, or destroyed by Persian mining operations. In February the last remaining Mughal citadel, the legendary city of Samarkand, surrendered, and peace was signed. Babur was allowed to retain his throne, provided that he support the Shia mullahs over the Sunnis, and pay a large ransom. Although Babur was restored to his throne in Kabul, he never had the same energy as before- his defeat was a sobering experience. The Mughal empire would have great difficulty expanding itself. However, the defeat of the hiers of Timur was seen as further proof of Safav's divine guidance. The Mughals seemed weaker every day- but Iran was growing stronger all the time.

(Mwahahahaha- The Mughals are converted)

http://pictures.care2.com/view/2/193547212

Next- Part 3 expansion into India, and conflict with the heirs of Osman.

I agree go for India. It's rich and ripe for the taking. :)

Joe

OK, I just realized I unjustly complain about feedback while not replying myself. Here I am. :D

India looks like a tempting target, but it may be a hindrance if Europe gets there first with their superior tech...

Good AAR, I look forward to more.