• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(8576)

Regained interest
Apr 6, 2002
Visit site
Okay, I´ve finally got around to try this writing thing out again. I decided I´d like to start in 1617, since most of the historical contries are there in that particular scenario.

My country of choice for this AAR is Poland. I´m playing on VH/Weakling. There will be no reloading, and I´m playing with quite a lot of house rules, too many to mention really.

Here are the DP settings:

Aristocracy = 10
Centralization = 4
Innovativeness = 5
Mercantilism = 6
Offensive = 8
Land = 9
Quality = 5
Serfdom = 7

I won´t be changing these, except for through events.

Ok, here I go..

In the early 17th century the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth was a very large nation spanning from the Holy Roman Empire in the west to the Volga in the east, and from Estonia in the north to the Black Sea in the South.

It was a nation totally dominated by it´s nobles, who´s Hussaria had made Poland the strongest nation in Eastern Europe during the 15th and 16th centuries.

This is the history of Poland from that day, until now.

Chapter I: Sigismund´s Turkish War

In September of 1617, the King of Poland, Sigismund III Wasa and the Doge of Venice, Giovanni Bembo, signed an alliance against the Ottoman Turks, who had declared war on the Venetians. Venetian and Polish troops invaded Hungary and the Balkans, capturing numerous cities and defeating the Ottomans in several bloody battles, including the Battle of Eger on the 1st of May, 1618, where an Ottoman army of 30.000 was destroyed by a Polish cavalry force of not more than 11.000 Hussars and light horsemen under Sigismund himself.

March 1619 saw an uprising in Polish-controlled Magyar over the way the Hussars had treated followers of the Calvinist faith. However, this rebellion was soon crushed.

By the end of the year almost all of Hungary and the Balkans was in Poland and Venice´s hands, and the Ottoman armies in the area all but destroyed.

1620 started out with a magnificent Polish victory outside the very walls of Constantinople against an Ottoman army numbering nearly 40.000. The Polish troops available the day of battle were slightly more than half that number. Thanks to some brilliant tactics from King Sigismund, and the extraordinary courage of the Poles, the day was won with horrible losses.
Almost half of the Polish soldiers were killed, and hardly a man was without injury.

It was now that the Tatars from Crimea decided the time for an invasion of Poland was right.
Thinking that the Poles would be too busy laying siege to the Ottoman capitol, 20.000 horsemen poured over the Polish border, wrecking havoc in parts of southern Lithuania.

They were halted at Ochakov in the summer of that year, and defeated by the great commander Stanislaw Lubomirski in a swift engagement, lasting barely an hour. Casualties in the battle are estimated at 3.000 for the Tatars, where as the Poles suffered minimal losses.

With the Tatar threat removed, Lubomirski next lead his 15.000 troops into Bujak, and besieged the important city of Ismail. If this was accomplished, Poland would have control over the entire western Black Sea coast all the way down to Constantinople.

After only one half year, Lubomirski´s victorious army had achieved it´s objective, and was able to join up with the King´s army besieging Constantinople. The mighty city was finally forced to surrender on 22nd February, 1621.

Five months later, the treaty of Constantinople was signed, in which the Turks surrendered Ruthenia, Jedisan and Ismail, as well as paying a substantial indemnity to Poland.

All over Europe, the news from Poland stunned the populace. The Ottomans were considered invincible, maybe there was hope for Christian Europe after all?

Interlude: A Brief Peace

After the defeat of the Turks, Sigismund realized his realm was in desperate need of a lasting peace. He therefore sought to improve relations with his neighbours, and became known for the lavish parties he would throw for foreign diplomats and ambassadeurs visiting his country.

It is ironic that it was at one such occasion in the spring of 1624, a Russian diplomat suddenly died at the dinner table, most probably from a heart attack. The Russians, however, found it hard to believe the Polish assurances that no foul play was involved, and it was only through some nifty diplomacy on Sigismund´s side, that open conflict was avoided.

Despite his earnest attempts to stabilize the war-ridden country, the 1620s would see rebellions break out all over his realm, leaving Sigismund with no option but to strike down upon the unfortunate farmers and Cossacks responsible for the uprisings, earning him the epithet “the Beheader”.

He also enriched the Crown by selling a number of government offices in major cities in the northern parts of Lituania to the highest bidder.

His elaborate moneymaking schemes would however abruptly come to an end when a counsil summoned by the nobles unanimously decided on pressing matters in a border issue with Sweden regarding Estonia, which Poland had long claimed to be rightfully theirs.

Sigismund was left with no choice, and the declaration of war was announced on 3rd August, 1627.

Chapter II: The First Estonian War

At the outset of the war, Poland looked as if it might have it´s hands full, dealing not only with the Swedes in Estonia, but also Sweden´s North German allies of Mecklenburg, Holstein and Pommerania, who joined up and captured several cities and fortresses in western Poland, among them, Poznan is one worthy of mention.

Two-thirds of the Polish troops were with the King in Livonia, and others were required along the Eastern border, in case of any insurrection. This left the hetman in the West, Koniecpolski, with less than ten thousand men at his command. Standing against him were the combined forces of the former Hansa cities of northern Germany, surely three or four times the size of his own.

Yet, Koniecpolski was not deterred. He boldly lead his army south and around the huge enemy troop concentration south of Danzig, and laid siege to Poznan, and captured the city in a few months.

After capturing the city, the Poles marched into Hinterpommern and beleaguered Stettin, where they encountered and defeated an army from Pommerania and Holstein roughly their size. As a result of the battle, the combattants signed a treaty forcing all of Sweden´s allies out of the war. No land changed hands, however.

In the north, Sigismund invaded Estonia with a large army, numbering perhaps as much as 30.000. In the winter of 1627, Sigismund suffered a humiliating defeat against a Swedish army of 25.000 under King Gustavus Adolphus, losing nearly half his men. For much of the following year, many small skirmishes were fought back and forth across the Estonian border, with no clear victor apparent.

In early Summer of the next year, Sigismund had rebuilt his forces almost completely, whilst the Swedes only had a very small army present, as Russia had declared war on Sweden earlier that Spring. However, the army facing the Polish was the best in Europe, and was lead by Gustavus Adolphus himself, whom Sigismund had learned to respect.

As the forces clashed on 3rd June, 1628, Sigismund must have known it was his day. His 20.000 soldiers slaughtered the Swedish army of 6.000 to a man, and captured Gustavus Adolphus himself. It would still take several years until all the major Estonian cities had fallen. Sigismund now realized this was his chance at destroying Poland´s long time enemy for good.

Nevertheless, it was not to be. On January 9th, 1630, Sigismund III Wasa died peacefully in his sleep, a few days before the invasion of Finland was to take place. Upon his death, the Sejm now decided to make peace with Sweden, and in May, the treaty of Narva was signed giving the Polish Crown 200.000 ducats as compensation.

With a new King, would there finally be peace?

The Commonwealth at Sigismund´s death

Polen1627.jpg

Last edited:
Originally posted by Oleg
Once I´m sure people are actually reading, I´ll put up some screenies.:D

Along with another installment.

Well you do know that most people in the AAR forum (including me) can't read... :D So screenies is the best way for them to get was in going on.

I'll keep an eye on this thread, you're doing good so far. Yet, I was wondering why you are playing on VH/Weakling... >Weakling: Is it because Poland is right in the middle and has so many neighbours?

Originally posted by Oleg
Once I´m sure people are actually reading, I´ll put up some screenies.:D

Don't worry, we're reading. Now get back to those screenies and to writing this AAR! *cracks whip*