• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Syt

Holstein's Envoy in Vienna
140 Badges
Jan 26, 2001
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • 500k Club
  • 200k Club
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Deus Vult
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • BATTLETECH
  • BATTLETECH - Backer
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
[OOC: As I said, I wanted to do another, serious AAR as a counterpoint to the more lighthearted History of Castile, this one more in the tradition of my previous works. I will try to update both equally oftem, although it will definitely be defined by my mood which one takes precedence. :)

Note to first time visitors: Each chapter is a self contained story of a section of the Klausen family history and will span several posts. I am aiming at making it possible to read any chapter without prior knowledge of the previous chapters. I hope I succeed at least in part. :)

The game is the grand campaign as Holstein (I took the liberty of calling it the Duchy of Holstein-Hamburg, despite it being terribly incorrect, to make things easier), normal difficulty, normal AI aggression.

***PROLOGUE***

holsteinhamburg.gif

Crest of the Duchy of Holstein-Hamburg

The rain was always the chilliest in december. There was usually little snow in Hamburg in winter, but all the more rain. It poured, it lingered in the air as thin mist, the moisture creeping through the clothes, no matter how many of them you wore. Your skin got damp and before you knew it you were shivering, your teeth clattering. Nevertheless, life went on the Hanseatic City. People were used to the weather and had come to terms with it long ago. Or, as a popular proverb went, "There's no bad weather, there's only bad clothing." Of course those words were coined by a rich person possessing a large assortment of attires for various weathers. The poor froze, and in winter, those who were not fortunate enough to find shelter in one of the clergy's institutions, suffered from colds, and not few of them died. The city guards carried several dozen dead away each night. The good thing was that it took the corpses longer to begin to smell during winter. Not that anyone would have noticed in the stench that consistently hung over the city, changing its odor slightly from quarter to quarter.

nightrain1.jpg

Night rain on the Alster

The rain in this dark december night of 1418 was exceptionally chilly. In the few streets that were paved with stone, it made the treading dangerous, freezing on contact with the cold rocks. The unpaved roads that consisted of nothing of dense dirt turned to mud from the rain, not freezing, but allowing the wetness to sneak treacherously through whatever footwear people might try to shelter them with. Hardly anyone shuffled through the dark streets in this clam night, not anyone who had the chance to sit by a comfortable fireplace. The boy who had run from the warm shelter of St. Petri, however, was oblivious to his surroundings. He had run for fifteen minutes and never spent a thought on his aching feet that longed for some place warm. He had run aimlessly, or so it seemed, for he knew the town in and out, before he allowed himself to catch some breath. The cold air bit in his lungs, his throat burning from the exhaustion.

Martin Klausen had come to Hamburg in 1416, nine years old. He hadn't had an easy life. In 1412, his parents died in the flood that destroyed their village Altenwerder. Martin managed to hold onto an empty barrel and was saved. He was accepted as a foster child by his grandparents in Bergedorf, but they exploited him whenever they could, forcing him to labor hard on their farm aand feeding him only what they considered leftovers. After four years of such hardship he ran away, and into the walls of the Hanseatic City of Hamburg.

The Hansa was already in demise, but Hamburg was still a rich city. They had gotten rid of the dangerous pirates Klaus Störtebeker and Godeke Michels. And briefly, they had been the seat of the Hansa when Lübeck was outlawed by the Holy Roman Emperor. No wonder that Duke Heinrich IV of Holstein had layed his eyes upon the wealthy city. It was in 1418, when King Sigismund outlawed the city because of a dispute over coining rights and taxations that Heinrich IV stepped forward, offering the city protection if they acknowledged his rulership. The city counsel agreed, and in turn they were guaranteed to remain largely autonomous. Thus, the Duchy Holstein-Hamburg was formed, and the Duke moved into the city. The Hansa remained its rights in Hamburg, and only a small tax was imposed on them.

Martin, however, cared little for such political intrigues. He stood in the pitch dark night, a dog barking off in the distance, the rain pouring onto him like a hail of small icicles. He shook off the thought of what the sailor in the shelter tried to do to him and began thinking about where to go to. He knew that if he remained outside in the rain he would catch a bad cold, possibly pneumonia. He looked about himself. He was somewhere near the Pferdemarkt, the horse market. And from around the corner, he thought he heard some voices and he could make out the shine of a fire. He slowly approached the corner in question, moving as quietly as he could, although the rain drained out a lot of sound. Carefully he looked peeked around the wall and his eyes needed a few minutes to adjust to the light that he beheld there. Three figures stood around a fire that burned on the the ground under the little roof of a storage house. It seemed they had taken some old, empty crates and somehow lit them ablaze. For a second Martin wondered how they had achieved that in the wetness, but then he tried to discern what the men were talking about. He couldn't make out much, but from what he could understand they were discussing how terrible and dirty the city had become and that there was no need for cheap labor as it used to be. Martin deemed it safe to approach them and ask them to warm him at their fire.

"G... Good evening", he clattered through his teeth. The men turned around. "M... may I... join... I am so cold. P... please, dear sirs."

One man stepped forward, a black, indiscernible shadow before the fire. "Now look what we got here. A little boy", he said with a sarcastic undertone.

Martin braced himself, for this was taking a different course than he had hoped. He cursed himself for not trying to get to the Convent of St. Jacobi instead. He tried to reason with the tall man. "I... I beg you, dear sir. I am j... just cold, and I... I'd..."

The man cut his words short. "You wanted to warm yourself at aour fire, didnn't you?" Martin could but nod. The man chuckled. "Well, too bad. There's not enough room for you." At that the other men laughed. The man fidgeted in a pocked of his ragged clothes. Martin still couldn't make any features out, but he was sure the man bore an evil smile. The man had taken some bones from his pocket and threw them at Martin. "Here, try to make a fire yourself with these!" Martin didn't see what had hit him, but as it looked, sounded and felt on impact like wood, he cowered down, trying to pick the pieces up from the muddy, slippery ground. The tall man laughed again, resting a foot against Martin's head and pushing him rudely over. With a splash Martin fell into the mud, the chilly wetness creeping through his rags at an instant, even colder than the rain had already been.

"That's enough, I guess", came another voice, stern, loud, deep. "Don't you know how dangerous such fires are in a town?"

"But sir", came the voice of the man who had pushed Martin into the mud, only much more timid now. "We were just having some fun." With that he picked up the boy, bringing him to tumbling feet.

"Yes, of course. I bet I should take you in tonight, but I guess you would be grateful for a dry room tonight. Now, kill that fire before it spreads!"

"Sir, we are cold..." began the tall man again.

"The churches offer shelter. Now, get to it!" Martin looked at the man that had seemingly come to his rescue. Another tall man, only this one was clad in armor, bearing a halberd, the fire shimmering on the worn steel and the stubby blond beard of the man. Another guard stood behind this man, smiling all the time.

Grudgingly, muttering, the man who had made fun of Martin went to his companions. They used some mud and rain water to kill the fire and shuffled off. Martin's teeth were still clattering. The guard looked at him, tilting his head. "Well, I guess this has not been your night so far."

Martin didn't answer and instead just shook his head. "Well, my name is Arnulf", the guard said. "You're soaking wet and if you don't get warm soon it'll be your death, I should think." Arnulf talked to his fellow for a moment in a low voice that Martin couldn't understand. It seemed, though, that Arnulf was suggesting something and that the other guard was opposing it. Eventually, Arnulf turned back to Martin. "Well, you can stay in the guards barracks for tonight. We have an empty bunk at the moment after Walter had a bad run in at a bar."

Martin didn't actually know what to say. He stammered a "Thank you", before the guards led him to the barracks.

Last edited:
Holstein, Holstein. I don't know anything about Holstein.

Educate me.

M

pds: Thanks, I'll try not to disappoint my audience. :)

Bismarck: Your grave lies in Holstein, you should know a few things about it. ;) I live here, so I will pop in some background as it fits. :)

Originally posted by Sytass

Bismarck: Your grave lies in Holstein, you should know a few things about it. ;) I live here, so I will pop in some background as it fits. :)

Many a fine man have made their grave in Holstein.

M

What? No Maxwells? ;) :)

Bismarck: Not to mention that Heinrich Himmler thought of turning Schleswig-Holstein into a new SS-state in 1945... :p

LD: Nope, I think that would have tied me too much later in the game. :)

Martin Klausen stayed with the city guard for the rest of the winter. Walter, whose bunk Martin slept in for the first nights, returned in february, but until then Martin already had his own small bunk in a side room. In exchange for food and shelter, he helped with the keeping of the barracks. He swept the floors, cleaned the arms and gear of the guards, and eventually, he even learned a thing or two about cooking by helping the matrons in the kitchen. For the first time in a while he felt at home and cared for. And, what was maybe even more important, he felt needed. Arnulf became his patron, not rather like a father but like a big brother, taking care of him, teaching him this and that, and scolding him when he did wrong.

Spring approached, and as life returned to the lands and intensified to bustling in the City of Hamburg, the dogs of war were unleashed again, too. The Hanseatic League, its power already waning, geared up for another big struggle. The King of Poland contended the League's rights in the Baltic, delivering a declaration of war to the Großmeister of the Order of the Teutonic Knights. He hoped to put pressure on the nobility of the Hansa to cut down on the merchants' rights and privileges. But the aristocrats whose cities were part of the trading league realized the setback in the flow of gold into their coffers that would have caused and joined the Knights to repel the Polish aggression. The free cities in the territories, especially Lübeck, also mustered men to wage war against the Pole.

Martin was running an errand for Arnulf when he transgressed Neumarkt, the New Market. A large group of people from all classes of the citizens of Hamburg were assembled here, more than was usual on market day. Beggars stood next to merchants, guards next to thieves, priests next to prostitutes. Martin realized that he could hardly get through the mass of people and noticed that he was in the middle of people, not really able to see far. But since he was already stuck here, he decided he could as well try to find out what this obviously spontaneous gathering was about. He noticed that when so many people were together in so tight a place all the smells and stenches of the city seemed to be united. He pulled a priest's robe and asked what this excitement was about.

The priest, a grey skinny man in a long black robe, looked at Martin. The boy was clean, with cut hair and clothes that befitted his job as a hand of the city guards. However, his lower class appearance didn't seem to win him much if any of the priest's favor who was more accustomed to company of higher social status, or at least he liked to give himself such an air. "Why, boy, the Duke's herald is about to read a proclamation. And now be quiet, I am hard of hearing anyways, and your bickering doesn't make things easier for me."

Martin didn't answer. He didn't point out to the priest that with the people around him following their personal conversations, his asking wuldn't make much of a difference to the ability to listen to the herald's proclamation.

Then a trumpet was sounded, and gradually, people went silent. When there was a sufficient silence, the herald began to speak. Martin couldn't make him out, at his age of twlve being too short to look over the heads of the adults around him. Instead he concentrated all the more on the deep, booming voice of the herald.

"People of Hamburg!" came that impressive voice. "We, Duke Heinrich IV of Holstein-Hamburg proclaim to you, our loyal subjects the following."

Martin heard someone near him speak loudly that the Duke would inform them of the impending war that they had already heard about, but that man was silenced quickly by the persons around him, who wanted to listen. The herald, after a brief pause, continued.

"The King of Poland has declared unjust war on our allies of the Teutonic Order!" A murmur arose among the listeners. A little girl asked her mother what Poland, Teutonic, or war would mean. The herald waited till the murmur succumbed to a level where he felt he would be heard by most people present again before he went on. "The Polish King and his ally in Lithuania try to press the Teutonic Knights to deny the merchants of the Hansa their traditional rights!" Another murmur arose, especially among the traders and merchants, and it was very perceivable that they were getting angry about Poland's conduct. Some called for revenge, for saving the Hansa, but they were brought to silence again by other members of the audience and the herald began to speak again. "This injustice can not stand. Therefore we, Duke Heinrich IV of Holstein-Hamburg declare that we stand by the sides of our allies of the Teutonic Order, by our allies in Mecklenburg, Pommern, Bremen, and Prussia, and join their war against the Poles and Lithuanians!"

The people on the Neumarkt broke into cheering. People who didn't know each other embraced and almost the whole audience would have broken into a spontaneous celebration and feast, hadn't the trumpet of the herald called for attention again. "Already now, General Gera sets out with the Armee von Holstein through Pommern and towards Poznan to take the perils of war to the soild of the ones who attemt to impose their aggression onto us and our allies." Another cheer answered these words, but this time it was briefer, for people wanted to know what else there was to be said. "However", proceded the herald, "the 20,000 men under general Gera will likely not be enough to stem the tide that washes to the Baltic Sea from the plains of Poland and Lithuania. Therefore we, Duke Heinrich, call onto you, our loyal subjects, to join our troops and volunteer for our noble cause! Every able man who will be accepted will receive 5 gold ducats!"

Another cheer broke out, and many men were shouting that they would slay more Poles than the Duke or his aides could count. Some women woed such cries, fearing that their husbands and sons who were eager to go to war might not come back. As the cheers died down again, the herald closed, "Thus we proclaim, Duke Heinrich IV of Holstein-Hamburg, blessed by the Grace of God, in the year of The Lord 1419."

herold.jpg

A herald

People now busily began discussing what this proclamation and its contents meant for them, Hamburg, and their future. Martin was deeply moved by the speech. He was angry at the Polish that they would drag the peaceful Hansa to war. He thought about his job with the guards, how he enjoyed it, but in this apparant time of crisis he felt that if he stayed with the guards he would feel like a cheater, a coward, hiding from the call that had come from the Duke himself. However, he knew that Arnulf wouldn't appreciate that decision at that he would likely not allow it. When Martin had told him that once he'd grow up he'd want to become a guard, too, Arnulf had become very angry and told him that he would no longer be his friend and protector should he do so. Martin didn't like to think about Arnulf's reaction should he learn that he wanted to join the Duke's Army.

The mass of people on Neumarkt became less dense, as people spread out to carry the news through Hamburg, and Martin could move again, albeit slowly. He shoved himself towards the direction from where the voice of the herald had come. Eventually, he arrived at a table before which a line had formed, a line of men of various ages who signed up for the Duke's Army. Martin made up his mind. When he had a chance - and far away from Hamburg - he would somehow send a message to Arnulf. Someone in the army would be able to write, he figured. A few of the men in the line joked about the boy's wanting to sign up. Martin ignored them, and when he was finally at the table, before he was asked anything, he said boldly, with firm voice, "I am Martin Klausen. I want to join the Duke's Army."

Behind the table sat two men, one a scarred old man who had seen many battles. The other was a big man with white eyes with a fiery spark in them and a big black beard. That man raised an eyebrow and looked at the evetran beside him who did the bookkeeping.

"My, my, my", the big man said, and from the voice Martin could tell that he was the herald who had read the proclamation. "How old are you, boy?"

"Twelve, sir", came Martin's answer.

"Twelve." The herald chuckled deeply which sounded like big rocks rumbling underneath the earth. "And you want to fight for the Duke?"

Martin was not deterred by the herald's amusement. The veteran smiled now, too, his scras forming various patterns on his face. "Yes, sir. I want to slay the evil Poles."

The herald raised both eyebrows. "Well, you certainly have determination. What will your parents think if you join up?"
Martin's lip quivered slightly as a faint memory of his dead parents flashed through his mind, followed by a stern Arnulf who lectured him about the city guards and how he shouldn't join their ranks. He quickly recomposed himself again before he answered, "I... I have no parents."

The herald's eyes saw the serious grief that briefly passed over Martin's face for a few moments. "An orphan, yes?" he asked in a more soothing tone. Martin just nodded. "Alright, said the herald. I cannot promise you a fight, but we need more drummers for the troops. Give Hans here your name" - he nodded towards the veteran - "and then report to the tent over there."

Martin smiled, nodded again, and did as he had been told.

Last edited:
I hope you're not taking on too much, Sytass, but I look forward to following this aar. It shows great promise :) And I agree that entering the Maxwells now would be too constraining. Perhaps a bonus at a later date... :cool:

gweinel: THanks for the praise. It's much appreciated. :)

Sharur: How, too much? The Castile AAR is about half over, and this one will be... well, I will see how long it will be. :)

Originally posted by Bismarck
Holstein, Holstein. I don't know anything about Holstein.

Educate me.

M

Bismarck, (the name you chose), had a very good experience with Holstein and Schleswig and Mecklenburg. He used them as a pretext to DOW war against Austria (allied with Bavaria). After a short campaign Austria could be excluded from Prussia's march to unite German States (they were 38 or so after the Napoleontic Wars)...

You say one thing that you expect everyone to take as the joke that it was, and nobody gets it. sigh.

M

shawng1: I will see how long this will go. Who knows? Maybe Holstein will be gone after some years? Although, that needn't be the end. ;)

The small town of Itzehoe had a few hundred dwellers who lived under the shadow of a fortress which guarded the trading roads that went in and out of town and towards the navigable Stoer river. Adjoined to the settlement was a convent with nuns of the Cistercian Order. Lumber and livestock, mainly oxens were the most important goods in the region, and Itzehoe had gradually become the center of their trade, sending shipments of lumber down the Stoer, and Oxens through Holstein along the Ochsenweg route from Denmark to Hamburg. Life was governed by the daily labour, but generally calm. That had changed, when Heinrich IV had set up a camp for his troops to be mustered and trained near Itzehoe, about three hours' foot march through the woods that surrounded the town. Soldiers came to the town seeking entertainment and buying a few things they might need on the campaign ahead of them.

On a large field near the Stoer river that fleeted calmly towards the Elbe the camp for the mustering of the troops had been set up. The spring of 1419 was rather mild, and the soldiers liked to take a bath in the cool water when the day's chores were done. Martin had arrived two weeks ago together with other men from Hamburg. More soldiers joined every day, coming from various parts of Holstein. Many arrived on horses, armored, with shields and steel helmets. Those were noblemen or those payed for by them. They were, except a few, rather arrogant towards the foot soldiers, and Martin, as a drummer boy, was at the low end of the overall hierarchy. He managed to convince a horseman, a Gunther zu Breitenburg, to write a note to Arnulf at the City Guard of Hamburg about his whereabouts in exchange for his taking the walk to Itzehoe to get a few things.

The camp was a town in itself. In the center was the large tent of General Wollsherer who supervised the mustering of the troops. Around that tent were those of the nobles and his commanders. Further off to one side were the foot soldiers, with occasional larger tents marking out sergeants and captains. Martin shared a small tent, big enough only to sit in, with another drummer boy, Karl Willemsen, who had signed up together with his father from a nearby small village called Kerleggehusen. Karl's grandfather, together with his sisters and his mother would take care of their little farm till he and his father would return. Karl was about the same age as Martin, but more stout in build. His father allowed him to practice with a pike now and then, and Martin was sure that within two years Karl would join the regular soldiers.

Learning the drum was something that proved very difficult. Keeping the rhythm when marching, making out the commands in the middle of turmoil of the staged battles they waged, and then switching to a different rhytm, matching with the heralds and their trumpets. More than once he was scolded by his superiors for reacting late or being slow. And it seemed that the harder he tried the more he failed. Karl was faring better, and he aided Martin where he could, offering his advice and giving hints and tips. Eventually, Martin managed to fulfill the tasks assigned to him more or less satisfactorily.

The days passed quickly. The clothing Martin received as a drummer needed to be clean at all times, and he earned the favor of some soldiers by taking care of their clothing as well. At night, the drummers sat near the soldiers, telling jokes, playing games, and telling stories, much as the infantry did a few meters away. Some soldiers got permission to go to town to have fun there, but such permissions were scarce. At best, men got to town when they were on official errands. With Itzehoe being a good three hours from the camp, stealing away without a pass was difficult, but some tried nevertheless, and were punished accordingly. Martin was once scheduled to roll the drum when a whipping of a soldier took place, and even though he and Karl had thought about trying to sneak to town some time, they never spoke of it again afterwards.

Life became routine, and Martin soon began to wonder when enough troops were assembled to take the long march to Poland. Things went rather differently, though. One warm evening in May, a rider arrived at the camp, and soon after his arrival, a strange alarm came over the tent town. Martin and Karl had already lied in their bedrolls, but they crept out sleepily and looked around where soldiers ran back and forth, some in arms, and were shouting things that neither Karl nor Martin could understand. They stopped a man in chain armor, bearing a helberd who ran by and asked what was going on. The roughier looked at the two boys. "Why, have you been asleep? The Danish have declared war on Duke Heinrich IV! The Hansa joined our cause, and General Gera is already on his way back from Lübeck to join with us here!"