• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(10139)

First Lieutenant
Jul 8, 2002
Visit site
I am playing my 3rd GC having played Hungary and England. To give myself an intesting challenge, I have decided to play a native american country, specifically Lenape (Delaware)

I have seen and it has been proven that any mouse can roar and eventually gobble up all the locals. Clearly in North america this is easiest with Iroqois, but can be achieved with any of the local inhabitants. My initial though was to try to do the same, but playing a GC as Lenape for 30 years I found it didn't suit me. I had already conquered all but Dakota and Hopi in the first 30 years. This sort of play is also tedious and short of the intricasies of diplomacy, exploration and intrigue.

So I tried a different approach. Play Lenape the Good, Lenape the Traders, Lenape the peace maker. I wanted to see if by coordinating the efforts of the North american indians, could I survive the European invasion or even thrive.

The rules are:

- May not declare war unless have a CB
- May not declare war on power friendly enough to cause stab loss (must lower relations first)
- May not declare war on Ally
- Must stay with good repution
- AI Very Hard (4)
- Agressive (3)
- Must try to preserve the native american diversity (fight to preserve each tribe from European annihilation)
- Success measured by vp's versus opponents.

I will take you through to 1531.

My first observation was that the world was very small. I played on "most magnified mode" until almost 1500.

The next thing was how pathetic my technology was. I was 0th level on everything.

I also could not build any boats and nothing other than standard infantry.

In the beginning I was quite miserly with my Diplomats as I olny got one per year. I made sure I got the most out of each one. I waited for the first round of alliance to terminate natuarlly so I could form the next one.

In general all of the North Americans (And Mayans now too) are willing to marry and continue to remarry. I ensure that I have always a currant marraige with all of Dakota, Huron, Shawnee, Iroquis, Creek, Cherokee.

As for the decadely alliance game, I found that Iroqois and Shawnee are always willing to join an alliance. However, getting the Huron or the Cherokke is more difficult and may need repeated attempts.

Regarding sharing maps, it seems that only my allies were willing to share maps, regardless of how high my relations with them were, they would refuse map sharing unless they were my ally.

The period prior to the arrival of Europeans, and no, wimpy Lief Ericson in Newfoundland doesn't count The Life of the Lenape was simple (but for one diabolical war with the Huron in 1478-1483 and a brief skirmish with the Cherokee) the first over a border dispute the second my alliance drageed me into.

Keep up marraiges, trade for maps to find more tribes (I couldn't initially see Dakota, Cherokee or Creek)

Make alliance every 10 years with as many as four if I had enough diplomats (Creek and Cherokee were frequently in an alliance)

Change the slider bar every 10 years to improve on technology.
I slid

2 from Land towards Sea to be 8 Land, 2 Sea
this increased my colonists 40%

2 from Merch to Free trade
I also got a randowm event twice to slide it even further.
I also movve the slide to Centralised as opopsed to decentralised

Though I normally like to be inventive, I could not take the hit on colonists (which I needed). Consequently, Philosophers were jailed and executed.

I when for full trade first so I could start using traders, then full infrastructure so I could build tax collectors.

My colonial strategy was to start with the tobaco provinces south of me, buling one city at a time and leveraging the existing low, or very low agression native. Then I filled in the Fur regions and the two regions adjacent to the Trade centre as it gives a bonus to population growth. After exchanging maps with Huron, I was able to settle the St. Laurence seeaway and get a view into the water all the way to Newfoundland. By using the "national view" I was able to see the leftovers of the viking establishment in "vinland".

I also started to populate up to Massachuesettes, after wiping out the local natives who kept rebelling against my colonial attempts.

May 12 1496 we got an explorer named Cayuga. He died May 12 1508. We got an explorer even though my ports still could not build ships. Also, with naval at level 1, the ships I believe were powered by paddle, not sails. This explorer could find at most two new regions before having to return to a port. The first goal was to connect the sea zones from The St. Lawrence to the homeland in Manhattan. Our next goal was to try to make it over to Europe so that we could start trading in their centres of trade (I was stuck with five traders in New York)

July 3rd 1503 we got another explorer, this time named Fox. He died July 3rd 1515 (what on earth was going on?) With the two explorers we researched from the Hudson's bay down to Florida and started making headway past Iceland and toward the British isle. Our goal was to find a friendly nation there and gain military access (Hopefully Scotland or Ireland were still in the game)

November 25, 1497, England placed their first trading post down inside our view. This enabled us to view Anglia.

The first English war: (Feb 15, 1500- Sept 15 1503)

The major shame in this war was that I had gailed to build a fortress on Stadacone prior to the english declaring war. I had no idea they would do so so quickly, This compromisedmy defense in the north and I eventually had to concede Placencia (Newfoundland) which was a 3 colony and Massachusets, a bailiffed fort-1 city with a population of about 1000. I am certain that if I had a fort on Stadacone, I could have made out better, even considering the suddeness of the attack. My new rule was no more cities without imediately fortifying it to level 1

Afer peace (losing Mass and Placentia) we endevoured to reach Europe. One explorer went east, the other south. An important find was oct 1507 when we discovered the Bahamas (the island) considering our navy tech, getting our ships to start exploring from here made things that much more efficient. (Coloniezed Bahamas)

Second English war (Nov 1508 - Mar 18 1509)

This was a short war as I ran quickly trhough his undefended land and laid siege on now level-2 Massachuesets. I offer 100 ducats and was +7. He couldn't refuse.

Henry VIII rose to the throne as did ToT occur during this war.
France was discovered (and its trading post) Feb 1511

July 8th 1514 we discoved the Scots, finally someone besides the beligerent English. We immediatley gave them a gift to soften them up for a military access pact, we gave them 3 more gifts every month and then asked for access. It was granted.

This time we brough a 1000 soldiers on the ship from Wabana to Scotland to do some internal searching as well.
My allies all rejected becomeing my vassal in 1514 as well.

Sept 21 1517 we got our third explorer, his name was cayuga II. He died Sept 21 1529. (It seems all explorers live for exactly 12 years. Initially we set him out to explore more of Europe to find more trading centres (He found Flanders), but I was finding that trading in Europe was making me very poor. after a few years, I returned him to the caribean to find some aztec trading posts.

Third English War (June 15th, 1518 - May 6th 1521)

Somewhere along the way, I was able to build cavalry and ships, I am not sure what the exact time was but I noticed on my screens that I could build them. These were used in this very long war. Eventually England grew werey and sued for peace for 59 ducats (I am steadfast now, I will concede no more land) I will fight him until my war wearyness splits my country

The english situation in NA was a string of three unfortified colonies and towns on the north bank of the St. Lawrence and a cluster of 4-6 colonies and trading posts from Novascotia to Massacusets, His jeewl is of course the level-2 citiy of Mass.
His military is 10 versus my 1. His naval is 6 versus my 1.

Eventually I succeeded in beseiging Mass, but had lost numerous battles (almost every one) regarless of the size of my force or its composition. I only won it he actually ran out of men, never by him retreating. we chased each other trying to cover and recover undefended english cities.

Infrastructure made it to level 2 on nov 1 1523

Colonial expansion continued apace now that I can build trade post as well as colonies, Most of the explored NA inland had either a colony of trading post. I have not been able to get Dakota to join an alliance so I still have not seen his maps.

In 1526 we started bribing the mayans to get military access to their land. we succeeded in

The bahamas, after annihilating its second successive colny, was invaded properly and made clear to put a colony on in 1528

March 1530 Anglai opened a trade center, this meant that I had access to Manhattan, Ile De France, Flanders and Anglia. I am sure some of the Europeans were wondering who that Bear pelt flag was for.

BY May, the Mayan route showed us to the Zatopec people to their north. The goal is to get access from them to find the aztecs, and in theory, a cheaper trade centre to Flanders, Anglia and France.

May 31 1531, Ottomans sue for peace with England. Bad news

The fourth English was (June 4th 1531 - to be continued

My allies the huron Iroquois and Shawnee have joined me. Though they have yet to see their first battle as I have sealed the north with the two regions on the St.Lawrence and have the complete corridor down to Roanoke. I will wlak into Placentia (undefended) and take as many freeebies as I can

Here we go again. I feel better prepared as I left a straggeler inside English land after the last war. Immediately he took over an unfortified town. Additionally, I can compete financially and at least in Manpower so I should be able to stand off the English again. Will he ever learn?

Curiously, Onega has been my monarch since 1419, he must be getting really old

Current status:

what does "whiteman mean?"
mine is 40
England is 0

vp's
Lenape 863 ranking #2
England 437 ranking #9

Lenape scores well in Diplomacy (4th behind Austria Venice and France) and Economy (4th Behind China Spain and Portugal)
The economy score is broken down by 180 for ecomomy 57 for exploring and 24 for settlements.

Needless to say, the military ranking is non existant. A total of two wars were fought in 112 years between the tribes. 3 wars with Engalnd have all ended either in stalemate or worse.
Finally, Lenape was 2 behind Mughals whopping 600 with 396 bonus points.

It will be hard to maintain the early lead as it appears that england will decalre war on me every 10 years after the last peace deal. I will not be able to gain diplomatic points as our alliance will always be current. Perahps I have to start winning points in Military. Exploration and settlements will wither as there is less space in North America, but I could certainly use a conquistador....

Others are

France #1 = 1104
Mughal #3 = 728
Venice #4 = 700
China #5 = 697
Spain #6 = 654
Austria #7 = 636

Manpower
Lenape 12.00
England 23.25

Tech:

Lenape
Land = 1
Navy = 1
stab = 1
Trade = 2
Infra = 2

England
Land = 11
Navy = 6
stab = -2
Trade = 2
Infra = 3

Great AAR! I have found trying to play the tribes peacefully to be extremely challenging and often frustrating. Congratulations on making a good go of it.

A few things:

1)Funny you should mention Onega. In my Cherokee AAR , my chief named Onega lived to be a couple hundred years! There was some bug in the leader file. What really stunk was that he was a mediocre leader and that because he wouldn't die I was missing historical leaders with better abilities. I couldn't make many treaties because his diplomacy rating was so bad!

2) Whiteman value: This was a big mystery, but it was finally solved. If remember correctly, the native americans have a large penalty when it comes to tech development. This penalty declines over time as they come in contact with Europeans. The whiteman value of a province, I think, is how far it has advaced in contact with Europeans. If you look at the save file, I THINK you will find your colonies that border the English will have higher values that those that don't.

There used to be a really good description of this in an EEP America's thread, but after quick look at the EEP forum I couldn't find it. There are some other discussion threads of it you can find with the SEARCH option.

Good luck!

Enjoyed reading this and am enjoying your approach as well. Nice to read another peaceful NA Indian tribe AAR since hte only other one I can recall is heagarty's which he linked for you above (a really worthwhile read BTW).

heagarty and Nikolai are both right. Whiteman value has multiple effects that various people have worked out over time. I think they've all been listed above, but it's possible that there are more, or that some haven't been figured out yet. I'd search the GD forum and see what comes up.

Looking forward to seeing how your new no-province-concession policy works out with the English. :)

I havent played an american indian country yet, I just never thought they would be fun. Your AAR gives them some credit, I might have to take a peek at playing one in the near future. Nice AAR and I especially like how you lay out the ground rules for us, gives me a good idea how you will play this out.

I am up to 1643 now, and boy is tech dragging. My inflation is sky high,

I regret to inform the readers I have had to make the odd concession to Foreigners. I will take you through the entire 100 years later but so far I have conceded (never more than 1 in a war):

Massachuesets - English
Bermuda - English
Placentia - English
Isle Royale - French
Some leve-2 colony on the North bank of the St. Lawrence - French

I have recieved (amazingly in one war)
Bas St. Laurent - From the english

until I can get to trade level 3 (and get the ability to do Monopolies) I will not attempt to retrieve these lost lands.

fyi the following coutntries have declared war on me

England (too numerous to count)
France (3 times)
Holland (1 time)
Aragon (1 time) they had a province in Micmac and felt they should expand I guess. It is now in French hands.

So confident were the "Tribe of five" alliance that Navaho even declared war on Spain!. Every other ally disgraced themselves (Iroquis, Dakota and Creek) But I pulled them all back into the alliance immediately (I had enough diplomats). In fact, it is a points boon when my "little chickens" pull out of an alliance as I can almost always pull them right back and get 5 points each time.

One sad note is that I could not keep the Mayans and the Aztecs alive. Portugal has run them over and as I had no CB, I could not intervene. Zapotec hangs on by a thread. Perhaps if I get more powerful, I will go down and free them (take the land and make a vassal) maybe in the 1700's when my land tech should be about 30 lower then the Europeans :)

This a different approach than the one I use with the Iroquois. The only problem I see is the alliance system.

In this game, your allies are most of the time pretty useless. They fight the fight that are needed to achive victory. If there was a way to influence the action of the allies like giving them a target province to take during war they could be usefull, but in their current version you have to conquer them to control them.

If I was to do it again I would probably try to raise tech as much as possible by staying small and looting my neighbour. The only problem is that you are not allowed cavalry until you fight a few wars with the European.

Good luck on taking back those provinces.

Looting? Are you telling me that when you run into another provice with cavalry and it starts to smoke, you actually get some money out of it? I had no idea.

Can you explain exactly how this looting works?

The first time I've hear about it was in the AAR on his Benin world conquest by WS2_32

http://www.europa-universalis.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38311

When you move a troop into a province (it doesn't have to be cavalry, that was another issue) and it's there at the end of a month, you "loot" the province. You actuelly get cash for doing this.

The cash you get doing this is split the same way as your regular income. Lets say you put 100% of you cash into trade research, all the cash you get looting will go into trade research too.

If you get a particularly good loot month you just switch your slider to 100% cash for that month only. That way you get a decent pile of gold and only 1 month worth of inflation.

Chapter II (1531 -1614)

The fourth English War (June 4th 1531 - Dec 1 1532)

As stated the Shanee, Iroqois and Huron have joined our side. They will unlikely see any action as they are completely shielded from the action.

My first move was to walk into undefended Placentia and take some undefended turf on my way to Bangor. However part A pf the plan failed as the natives in Placentia defeated me (How embarrassing!) We moved into Nova Scotia and Bas St. Laurent and then tried to sue for peace. AS many of Englands lands were still without forts, we did alot or running around covering and uncovering cities.

In the end, England agreed to peace for Bas St. Laurant and all was as it should be, peaceful again. We had a corridor to Gaspe now. We also have gained a catholic province if this is useful, I have no idea.

We gained military access from the Zapotec which was important as we wanted to get access to the Aztec Cot. It may be cheaper to send merchant here than all the way to Europe. We uncover Zacatecas within a year and started sending merchants there

Land tech went to 2 in this same year. In January 1533 England become protestant.

Our colonial focus was on Placentia and Gaspie. At this time, Gaspie was locked away from our mainland. We also had three regions we couldn't see that were wedged between Enlish colonies and our lands (Onogda, Magentic and ????).

Trading was intense as we always tried to maintain 5 merchants in Ile De France, Flanders, Zapotec and Manhattan

Bahamas start getting colonised in 1538

Alliances:

December 1542 we renew our alliance Iroqois, Shawne and Huron. The Creek joined the Cherokee. We fail on several attempt to get Dakota to join
December 1552 we renew the allaince again
December 1562 the new alliace is Iriqois, Shawnee Creek and Navaho. Huron and Cherokee will have to wait. I can only ally with 4 at a time.
July 1575 we keep with this alliance. I call it the four corners alliance even though Huron would be better. I think this alliance will prevent internecine wars the most. (the Creek fouhgt a war with France and got white peace in 1565, they weer at war with France prior to our alliance)

December 1547 Santee colony begins.

In each colonial case I build the colonies up to beyond 700 inhabitant then build a fort and a tax collector. For the English border provinces I add the second fortifcation. This include Islands like Ile Royale. We have also seen a few Enlish Colonists fly over our head. Our fear is that they have gotten to the west first. This is bad news as It prevents us vital expansion room and also the loss of victory points for discovering california and Alaska.
We could really use a Conquistador.

1549 John Calvin event occurs

More importatnly we received another explorer named Ottowa on Nov 29, 1549. Our goal is to discover a few more trade centres such as Tago and Andalusia and perhaps a few in the Baltic region. He died precidely 12 years later. Go figure.

Discoveries of the explorer
1550 December Western Approaches
1551 August Cantabian Sea
1552 April Finisterre
Scotland refuse to trade maps (we have a +200 relation and military access)
1552 Leinster
1553 Cadiz
1554 Straights of gibraltar
1554 Algarve Portugal and Tago (Success, one of the two Cot's are found)

having found a COT, we now divert our explorer to find regions in the Quebec peninusla and Hudson's bay. We feel we can safely colonise these with traders and hopefully cut off any back door approach to Native lands. My goal is to sail back and forth between Hudson's Bay and Wabana and get random finds on the trips.

Also, we immediately flood Tago with 6 merchants to get in.

September 1 1554 naval tech goes to two

New discoveries for explorer: (we send traders upon discovery to set up trading posts)

Dec 1554 Minto
Apr 1555 Winisk
Sep 1555 Nueltin

Once we had a Conquistador, we knew he could "round the horn so we diverted our attension Southwards)

Jun 1556 Winward Islands (we changed from the Hudson's bay exploits to dicovering more about the Caribean)
Aug 1556 St. Thomas (and the country and CoT of Mecklenburg, who inhabit St. Thomas)
immediately we send 6 merchants to Mechlenburg
Nov 1558 Guyana coast
Mar 1560 North Atlantic Ocean

September Colonial Dynamism happens (we get 4 more colonists and a conquistador named Huron) he dies in 1567 12 years later
Immediattely we ask for and gain military access from Shawnee so we can explore our back yard.
It't time to see if Spain and Engalnd have beat us to the West.

We clear out Fox and Mississippi of the natives for future development. (Via the Shawnee corridor)

Discoveries for Conquistador
Apr 1556 Mississippi
May 1556 Oklahoma
Jun 1556 Llano Estacado
Aug 1556 Arkansas
Aug 1556 Colorodo, Navaho and Utah (and the people of Navaho, someone else to ally with and marry into)
this was the end of the road, Spain barred the way of further exploration. They had surrounded the Navaho and the way West was cut off, barring a war (Gulp) with Spain. As we are the Peaceful Lenape, this would never be started by us. Meanwhile, English colonist continue to fly over our head to places like Olympia, Montery etc.

We will use the remaining time of the conquistador to uncover all of the rest of the land east of the Navaho that is still unexplored. this include Megantic, ticonderoga, Catawba, Sebago Missouri and all of the land leading up to the Dakotas and even some of their land. Then we went up past the Saoult and up to Hudsons bay and then all the way around the north Arc of the Quebec Penninsula. The good news was that we had sealed off the North with 3 traders so no back door settlement could occur from France or England. We also settle all of the great lakes in case they learned of this region and sent internal settlers.

August 5 1560 we got another Explorer named Cayuga (we still had the one discovering the Caribean) he died in 1572

He replaced the one who died one year later and found Bermuda which we immediately began to colonise. We have also colonised to create a 4 province wall for the english who amazingly have not declared war in some time now (almost 30 years)

We sent this explorer back to Europe, to find Andalusia specifically and to explore more of the Scandivavian peninusla (as it was accessible from Scotland our friends) He gets all the way to the gulf of Riga.

May 1564 we get military access from Navaho. Time to find out the 4 regions adjacent to them. We also have a cunning plan. We have carefully avoided settling on any ToT territory (thogh the Creek are unfortunately in it) However, we camped 2,000 cavalry in a Tot land hoping that Spain sets up a trading post. This gives us an internal "spy" who with white flags waving can explore much of the land. As he is a conquistador, he should do it with little attrition. Now we wait patiently (and explore from Navaho to see all of the adjacent lands)

Anglia has formed a Cot so now we send merchants to Ile De france, Flanders, Anglia, Mecklenburg, Tago, Zatahtopec and Manhattan.

With the death of Huron the conquistador, our plan to see the west is temporarliy on hold. we wait for the day Sapin placed a trader on Bayou, but he seems reluctant. As I can't declare war, I must wait.

April 1567 we discover Curland and another Cot

Jun 1568 we get another Conquistador this one named Mingo. but there is really nothing for him to explore. I am pinned in by Spain to the West and water everywhere else. We may use him to discover who owns which islands in the Caribean. he dies in 1580.

March 29 1569 we get an explorer named Ottawa. these we can use, but we are starting to stretch our logistics we can run missions from Bahamas and Bermuda but that can only take them so far (at tech 2) from Scotland we are struggling to get past Gibraltar or much past Scandinavia. we need access from Spain of Portugal and its just not going to happen. Both have -200 relations with us even though we have a spotless reputation and full slider for Catholic. I wonder why they don't like us?

Dec 23 1570 we have the coucil of Trent event

by 1572 we had continued to explore a bit in the caribean and central america and use the explorer in Europe to find ever more lands and countries along the coast from Gibraltar to Riga. we then move to exploring the north cost of South America and get as far as Guyana.

The First French War (August 20 1576 - Nov 1579)

In the first french war, and this is 44 years since our last war, France declared war on the Creek. We honoured our alliance but all of the rest of the alliance didn't. We will bring them back when we have the diplomats. at 2 a year when at war, this should be as soon as possible. by jun 1578 they were all back.

January France walk into unprotected bermuda.
February they anihilate our army in Gaspie and besiege it
June we try to sue for peace, rejected!

Feb Isle Royal is beieged by the French (we are in way over our heads, we have no fleet and level 2 armies against level 10 or 12 armies. )
Sep Bahamas are attacked by France and our troops are... anihilated Bahamas are besieged
Sep just to rub it in, the undefended Puerto Rican Fench trading post, which I could have burned but kept for peace negotiations has returned to French control

Jan France rejects another offer.
Jun ditto
November we agree to terms (Anticosti a lev-3 colony is given to France)
This seemed cheap to get out of a war I had no way of winning

During the war we continued exploration slowly of the South American north coast and Atlantic. Still no Spanish settlers in Bayou....

by 1581 both Ottawa the explorer and Mingo the conquistador have died. We have explored most of the Carbean, central america, some of the north coast
of South america and all of North America east of Chihuahua and Utah.

Colonisation conitues apace always building colonies up to 700 and then fortifying and setting up a tax collector. Our goal is to one day have level 3 trade so that we can create trade monopolies.

Fifth English War (October 8 1581 - January 17, 1582)

No sooner have we signed peace with the Fench, the English resume hostilities after almost 50 years. We knew what to do, we raced as fast as we could to Nova Scotia to control as many of there undefended colonies as we can. The Creek and Iroquois join but we will have to bring in the Dakota and Navaho again later (10 points for this betrayal). The english accepted peace naturally.

June 1st 1583 England wne t bankrupt (How can you go bankrupt?)

July 12 1583 we finally get a break. Spain has lost a trade post on Arizona somehow (Native revolt probably) we park our man inside it even as the new trader is racing across Missippi to get there. 1 week later and we would have missed the opportunity. Clunk, the trade comes down on our man and suddenly he is a white flag spy inside Spanish territory. Time to see what England have left for us in the West.

April 1584 we got another explorer. I am not sure what he is going to do as we have severely stretched our bases but we will poke around as much as we can.
His first mission is to find Novgorod and possibly that Cot.

The "Spy mission"

Jan - Altar
May - San Bernadino
Aug - Sierra Madre, promissing, it has a native population and its costal
Dec - Monterey (Darn, the English have us cut off not much more to this spy mission then)

Next our spy does a quite dastadly act, he attacks the natives of Sierra Madre, a costal region in the West. Immediately he retreats, causing the region to be lost to spain. Immediatley we dispatch a trader to this newly uncovered land. Hooray, we now have a Western Colony. Hopefully we will get an explorer here next time. Though we are Lenape the Peaceful, we are not beneath spying and taking advantage of these sorts of situations.

Trapped in no man's land the spy awaits the arrival of the trading post caravan. (by the way, I discovered all of this myself if its not posted as a "cool move" in a FAQ, it should be)

We now have many Cot's to trade with so we should ease up on the European exploration. Colonization and defense of our vestige in the West is now our number one priority.

August 9 1587 we finally discover Andalusia. Immediataly merchants are dispatched.

6th English War ( June 7th 1588- August 22 1588)

This time Creek and Iroquois join us, but Dakota chickens out. We had not had time to get navaho into our alliance yet.

We rush to take undefended Bangor and Besiege Massachuesets.we arrive in Acadie (also undefended)
Then we sue for peace, accepted of course. We have no desire to fight the English.

After the war, colonial expansion to Sierra Madre continued as did exploration of a few remaining islands in the Caribean yet to be uncovered. We were sending traders to any Cot that would take us trying desperately to get to Level 3, it seemed the more we put in, the farther it got, inflation was tearing us apart. Also we had an unbelieveable amount of random events that continue to lower our stability. with each noew colonial city, our stability was harder and harder to bring back up. I believe we had poor luck in events.

2nd French War (June 1 1594 - July 1595)

All four of my allies join the war (darn, no bonus bring them back to the aliance points). Our first French war los tus Anticosti, Our problem with France was how to attack them. With England we had a number of undefended regions to cover, but not with france. We will certrinaly burn down jamaica this time, and try to get the "No France in Caribean 30 point bonus" Let's see what happens.

January 1595 Isle Royal and Gander are Besieged by france.
April our first attempt to land in Puerto Rico is anihilated by Pirates, the shame of it all
July bas St. Laurent is besieged by France
we give up on the Puerto Rico thing

At this point we give up and give Isle Royale to France. (It does have a french name after all)

we get Aztecs to give us military access so we can find the last few regions of North America Adjacent to the Aztec Kindom. This take about 4 years to complete.

7th English war (Aug 2 1597 - July 27 1598)

Creek and Iroqouis join, Dakota and Navaho don't. We immediately get Dakota back for 5 pts, thank you very much England)

We immediately start a siege of Massachuesets. we also siege Bangor and take control of Micmac.
Our problem is defending Newfoundland, Bahamas and Bermuda. We will see what happens
by march 1598 Placentia in Newfoundland is Besieged. we can not defend it.
In May Gander is besieged as well
We start to explore Englands Western AMerican colonies and find Sacremento and Tonapah. We plan our next spy mission. We will leave our cavaly in Tonopah after the peace treaty and explore the rest of the west.
after Gander and Placentia fall to the English we are forced to conceded Placentia to the English and sue for peace.

we now have a spy in sacremento and Tonopah and they are itching to go to Columbia!

Spy I, the journey...

Sacremento
Nahalem
Oregon (Dooh, the best laid plans.... our cavalry is anihilated by natives in Oregon)

Spy II

Columbia (Feb 1599)
Olympia (June 1599)
Nanaimao (Sept 1599)
Sitka (Feb 1600)
Spy II was starting to look a little green by this time, being so long away from proper support. We send him back to Tonopah.

8th English war (Sept 3rd 1603 - march 21 1611)

They just can't get enough, 5 short years later we are at war again. We have scouted most of their Western lands. They have fortified the East so this one may take a bit longer. We do not want to concede any more land. We must make some progress fighting or England will picnh away at us until we are nothing.
All four corners join the fight (we all hate the English by now) I wonder how he can take the no CB hit of -2 so many times.

we take undefended Micmac and Oregon and siege Acadia. We sue for peace and.... rejected.
England start their war by attacking Bahamas and Bermuda (my achilles heal in all battles), we are also parked on Sacremento
Micmac is taken back by England jack! nick nack paddy wack
by march 1604 Bermuda is in English hands. We besiege Sagueney to try to counter. We also win a battle against an Eglish army in Delaware (I believe we had 12000 to their 345). By March Bermuda is in English hands. We have also lost battles in Catawba. England also burn down our posts Carolina. We initiatiate a siege in Manicougan. Sagaueney and manicougan are safe becasue they are on the north side of the major English colonies.

in 1605 and 1606 battles rage, ususally won by england but occasionally when their army was small enough we would win. Bermauda and Bahamas stay in English hands and we continue our sieges in Sagueney and Manicougan. Finally on Sept 6, 1607 we capture Saguaney. we lift the siege on manhattan and try to sue for peace. we are rejected. These English have a hate on for us Peaceful, Honourable Lenape.

1608 and 1609 we start to go down hill , Sacremento is retaken and our trade post burned down. Bas St. Larent captured, atatcks happening all aover North america from Sierra madre to Manacougan

1610 still more woe as Sierra madre is besieged and we see no end to the strife. 7 years of war is too long and the English weem to enjoy every minute of it. whenver he encounters a trade post he burns it down, I try to replace what I can but he is mauling me. We take back Bas St. Laurent in 1610.

March 10 1611, Aragon decides to Colonise Micmac, because of this, we discover them.

Unable to see any other way out, we sue for peace and give away 100 ducats. This war had ruined our economy and caused incredible inflation. We have removed england from Sacremento and will plan to colonise it to compensate for the loss of money.

1612 A centre of trade in Monterey, so close to Sierra madre and Sacremento, we will make sure we assault this town in the next war.

We also note that we have not had an explorer in a while.
the peaceful Lenape are longing for the simple days prior to EUropean settlers. When peace reigned in the land, but as you may have guessed, it was time again for another ....war

3rd French War ( (March 12 1614 -

this war involved a certain Champlain who wanted to explore a bit of our land. You will see how he ends up getting stuck in Iowa and is never seen from again. It was his own fault for burning down the trade post. Immediately afterward we sued for peace and he was surrounded by land that did NOT grant him military access, what a shame...

I will continue with this war in my next post.

Just tell me how? I have been able to screen capture and place onto my clipboard. How do I post a picture?

In theory you should see the world of the Lenape at 1531
note that the Cherokee have lostone land region to me in an earlier war. I tried to give it back in a subsequent war, even when I was +5 but he refused to take it back. I will have to correct this later as we are after all the peaceful Lenape.

len1.txt

Here is what the Lenape knew of Europe at that time. Note which Centers of Trade were available (Not Tago or Andalusia yet)

len2.txt

From 1615 to 1669

3rd French War ( March 12 1614 - Oct 25 1615)

this war involved a certain Champlain who wanted to explore a bit of our land. You will see how he ends up getting stuck in Iowa and is never seen from again. It was his own fault for burning down the trade post. Immediately afterward we sued for peace and he was surrounded by land that did NOT grant him military access, what a shame...

All of the four corners alliance signed up for the war and therefore there was no opportunity to get any bonus points.

Our plan was once again to possibly burn down puerto Rico and claim the "No France in the Caribean" Bonus. As our fleets weren't very good, we had to cross our fingers. Before much happened...

2nd Cherokee War (June 20 1614 - APril 4 1618)

The Cherokee, who had already lost one land region to us, declared war on our ally the Creek. Why, I have no idea since we were just starting a war with the number one military power in the game in France. Dakota and Navaho did not agree to this war so I got some points for bringing them back into the alliance

France started the war buring down tuscaloosa and Yazoo. We immediately sent new colonists. Oklahoma and Mississippi were next.Burned to the ground. This was a French team lead by none other than Champlain, the famous explorer. He was marching north on a crusade to find Quebec. Illinois was next to burn down, but each trading post he has detroyed has already been replaced.

How we sacked Puerto Rico (the mighty level one trading post). Our navy was initially defeated by Pirates in the straights of puerto rica, then retreated and were defeated by even more pirates in the lesser antinlles, forcing them to retreat right back to straights of puerto Rico. FOrtunately the pirates were by then gone. We unloaded and on Dec 1, burned his place down. Immediatley a spanics trader started trying to settle it so we were off, 30 points in the bag.

BY Jine 1615, Champlain had gotten all the way to Milwaukee burning all in his path. We even tried to battle him, but I think of his army of 1000 men only 100 died to my 14000. Concidering the odds, we did not attack him anymore. Wisconsin was his next marching point, here we were nervous as it is adjacent to water, it might be able to be coloniese without being adjacent to French land (only in Louisiana)

Champlain pulled back to Milwaukee and it is at this momement we sued for peace, giving away a few ducats. France accepted our offer and Champlain was now stuck all alone in uncontrolled Milkwaukee, surrounded by Lenape or Dakota states until his death 20 years later in 1635.

In APril 1616, we tried to sue for peace with the Cherokee, giving their land back. I thought this would be a no brainer for the AI but incredibly, the CHerokee rejected it. Amazing. So we beseiged Tennessee just to make him quit, (we had no interest in their lands as the fact that we held some of their land already perpetually lowers our relations and gives them a CB. In June 1617, the Cherokee had rejected our offer of returning their land no less than 4 times. by now, it was time for....

9th English War (July 2nd 1617 - Sept 3rd 1617)

Once again all of our allies have honoured their commitment. We were not interested in war at this time, we rushed out to Oregan and Besieged Sangueney. We then offered some ducats in a peace deal and we were out of the war. 2 months

Puzzlingly, the Cherokke offered us 40 ducats in indemnities in April 1618. Why they repeated refused the return of their lands I will never know.

1st Aragon War (Jan 8, 1619 - Dec 1 1623)

Who? Why on earth would Aragon of all countries declare war on the peaceful Lenape? I See, they have a colony in Micmac that is unfortified. Fortunately my entire alliance declined the war, this means I was able to get 20 points to get them all back in again.
They even besieged Bahamas in October of the same year, cheeky little monkeys. By Sewpt 1621 we had all of the alliance back and it was time to sue for peace, Aragon refused our first offer. In the mean time we have been expanding our COlony in Sacremento (Wine). One day they finally accepted peace. This was the last we heard of them since France took over Micmac in a peace deal from Aragon in 1630 and then we were no longer adjacent to Aragon.

10th English war (Jan 7 1623 - June 22nd 1625)

The English just can't seem to think of anything else to do, their stability is perpetually -2 or -3, they are falling behind everyone in Europe and would benefit from some stability. However, they can only think of waging war with us. I will remind everyone that I have a spotless reputation BB = 0. and friendly relations with all normal empires. England have no CB against me and yet, this is the 10 war and we only met about a century ago. My allies are used to these events and again join the fray. We tried to do the same as the 9th war, but England refused the offer this time (I guess they wanted better terms?) Soon everything was being attacked, Bermuda, Bahamas and various eastern provinces, we were assaulting Monterey (The CoT) and running way from any English troop we could find. We have also bravely tried to retake Massachuesets (We lost this a long time ago). Our problem is that because of the Aragon war, we have been at war for almost 4 years.

Out problem in war is that England has now built Small or medium forts on most of his cities. In Monterey, the attrition rate is horendous. We knew we had it and when England offered peace for Bermuda (Which we could never defend) we accepted. We vowed (again) that this is the last time we are giving anything up to England. The rest of the year was spent crushing rebels.

Sadly, the Maya dissapeared by getting annexed by portugal in 1624.

We built our first peacetime army. One of the things I have notices in wars is that when I haven't got a big army to start, I suffer early problems I can't get out of, this time we plan to siege 2-3 cities at a time in the East and West combined (1 west 2 east). We will be prepared for the next inevitable war.

1630, the netherlands forms out of Spain. New Cot in Holland.

1st Spanish War (July 1 1631 - June 21st 1632)

Spain declared war on our allies the Navaho, since we swear to protect all indigineous people, we honoured our alliance. The Iroquois and Dakota did not (10 points). This came as a complete surprise but was not unwelcome. we were still in the ToT times so taking Spainsh land was still a bit dicey. However, we marched into the land with cavalry and set it afire. The Duth were quickest to recolonise Louisiana. For a while, we thought perhaps we could win enough to get Mazatlan and the Gold and CoT. However, it became obvious we couldn't hand;e the attrition on that city The Spainsh bought off the Creek for 44 ducats.. Then a few months later Spain offered us 44 ducats and upon offer, paused the game, burned every last trade post they had and then accepted the offer. The war was still on for the Navaho, Iroquois and Dakota, but I quickly settled the regionseast and west of the Navaho and their was now only on adjacent Spainsih and Navaho square, and I place 10000 troops in the navaho province that was adjacent just in case. Navaho have a military acces agreement with us. At this time we had completely discovered all of North AMerica execpt for Alaska. I would also note that the allies are actualy starting to move off of their homelands during these wars. in the 1500's they just built a military and stayed put.

1st Dutch War (May 30 1634 - January 23 1637)

There must be somehting in the AI that causes Europeans to decare war on natives soon after first contact. No sooner had Holland placed their 5 trade post s on former Spainish land that they declare war on us, with absolutely no force in America. We quickly take over their trade centres. This war was a 3 dishonoured war so 15 points. In March of the next year, the Dutch finally besiege the Bahamas. In June 1636 they even besieged Bas St. Laurent. After losing a battle in Bas St. Laurent, the dutch demand 25 ducats and we, after burning down their colonies, accept.

Jan 1 1638, Matterhorn takes over our great nation, Hooray! We had a brief few years of prosperity, trading and royal marraiges. We also wonder when we will get our next explorer. We could use one to find new lands (Hopefully we get one on the Pacific Coast)

11th English war (June 30 1641 - December 4th 1641)

My loyal allies always answer the bell. We rushed out to all of the undefened cities we could and signed peace once we had taken enough of his "free" western land. Time for your civil war England, good luck. NOT!

between the inevitable war, we trade, marry but do not explore. Where are all of my explorers? The more we invest in trade to get to level 3, the farther it seems to get away. Our inflation is killing us.

12th English War (Jan 30th 1647 - September 1647)

Once again my loyal allies answer the bell. We know the routine...rushed out to all of the undefened cities signed peace once we had taken enough of his "free" western land. Enjoying your civil war England?

Ooh, England decide to be vergeful with in Cromwell and the republic, they are now reformed.....

In 1650 we tried to convert Bas St. Laurent to Pagan, we fail.

13th English War (October 25 1652 - March 1 1657)

This time we were prepared, we were no longer pushovers and as the best he could do is take Bahamas, we just had to make sure we did more. Our objective was the return of Massachusets and obtaining Monterey. His Military was considerably higher, but we have found that at -2 stability he does not have many cities that can produce armies localy. We pounced. Against England, my loyal allies always answer the bell. By May we besieged Monterey Bahamas by the english. The Puritans seperate from England. England's allies allbetray him, haha serves him right.

To start Sanguenay, Penobscot, Massachauets and Monterey are all besieged. We want blood this time, no more sueing for peace, we will take somethig form this infernal English and their perpetual state of war. It's personal this time. I have been trying for 100's of years to get to traed level 3 and these incecant wars keep delaying my funding and driving higher and higher inflation. England must be soundly defeated and then maybe they will stop.

May 26 1655 we capture Sanguenay
Sept 13 1656 we capture Manicougan
Oct 23 1656 we capture Massachuesets (We will not give in, only our terms will be met this time)

we sue for peace and gain Saguenay and Massachuettes! the tables have turned. We will not compromise on any more peace deals (unless of course we must but we won't go there now) Maybe we will take Monterey next time.

1657 Edict of Tolerance occurs, good now all my Trade post and Colonies in Southern North America are safe.

I would lie to reiterate that we have not declared war on anyone (even though we could have many times) since the border dispute with the Huron back in the 1400's

April 25 1660 the English restore the Stuarts, Maybe they won't attack me so much. No Luck

14th English War (August 16th, 1663 - Janaury 9 1664)

Well, based on the last war, we should expect to try to take Monterey this time. This wil lbe difficult because I am sure it costs a lot in a peace deal but we will use the same formula, though we have far fewer "free" citites. We will besiege the small fortress of Manicougan and try to take Penobscot while in the west, besiege Monterey and take as many othe minimal or small cities as well. fyi, for some reason I need to put siege value times two on each cities to start the siege, this could be because my miliraty is 3 and enland's is considerably higher.

Good news, all heathens have been converted (Mass, because they converted our pagans to Reformed, Saguenay and Bas St. Laurent)

Bad new, we are losing too many battles, we bail out and sue for peace (we did get dome ducats at least)

We contune to desperately get to Trade level 3 and the ability to make trade monolpolies. It seems to get father and farther (the number is something like 70000 to get to) Infaltion is killing me and I see no end in sight. What I would give for a random event just once that reduces inflation. Never in 240 years have I gotten even one.

This takes us up to the....

15th English War ( Feb 26 1669 - to be continued

this will be continued, but I can tell you I did not let him off easily on this one. I can't believe the AI has a country attack me 15 time in 150 years when I have a peaceful, low profile and a BB = 0. Why of Why do England DoW so often, especially as they never have a CB?

Now for some screenies.

Here is the East

len1669east

The West

len1669west

The South, notice that Maya and Aztec are now gone, Zaptotec hangs on but I can't see how I can keep them alive.

len1669south

Europe

len1669euro

Battles in the East, I am going for Saguenay and will besiege others

len1669bat1

Battles in the West
Here you can see I have run almost to Alaska and am builing up forces for the Siege on Monterey

len1669bat2

Last edited:
Game status as 0f 1669

The Lenape are Number 1 in overall points

Lenape 2276
France 2022
Mughal 1966
Austria 1728
Spain 1595
Portugal 1256
China 878

Lenape score well in Economy, they are 2nd

Spain econ=714 dics=162 settle=54
Lenape econ = 541 disc = 101 settle = 57

this leads Portugal, France and Engalnd for which the Lenape are very proud

Also in Diplomacy second behind Austria

Austria 658
Lenape 601

And in Bonus points no one can touch us :)

Lenape 1022
Mughal 600
France 30

the current relative army, navy trade and infra are

Lenape:

Army 2
Navy 2
Trade 2
Infra 2

England:

Army 18
Navy 17
Trade 4
Infra 3

France:

Army 24
Navy 15
Trade 4
Infra 4

Spain:

Army 17
Navy 12
Trade 4
Infra 3

Austria:

Army 19
Navy 13
Trade 4
Infra 4

Our whiteman is now 359, higher than 40 but I am not sure what I gain from it

Incidentaly we are -46 in military. Shocking! The peaceful Lenape are just too peaceful. It shows you can win a game without having the best army stats.

One really can turn a crap minor into a major player. :) Which is nice. :)

Nice screenies, they really add flavour to ur lovely installments. :)

Why is your DP slider Defensive-Offensive is all the way defensive
Isn't additianal morale handy
Maybe i just don't get something

P. S. I've just thought maybe it's because of PEACEFUL Lenape