• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Lt. Tyler

Colonel
20 Badges
Apr 2, 2002
Visit site
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II
I walk up to the bar, my hands are shaking slightly, and a sheen of perspiration has appeared on my forehead. Lt. Tyler. That’s my name up next on the list. The list for “Open mike night in The AAR Bar.” Am I sure I want to get myself into this?

“You are VAARgin, right?”

“Hunh?” What the hell is he talking about? “Oh yeah, I’m a VAARgin.” I can feel my cheeks grow warmer while the perspiration continues beading up.

“You wanna cig, maybe a drink?” He points to a box of red wine.

“No, probably not the best time for me.”

“Maybe you’d like to renounce you capitalist, imperialist tendencies”

“What the f..?” For a second I thought he was gonna tell me he had the deathmark in 12 systems.

Norgesvenn smiled at me. “Relax kid. You’ll do fine. Besides, we’re a pretty forgiving bunch here. Hell, you don’t even have to finish it.” He winked.

“…and so ends the Pyrate Republic!” The crowd erupts in applause as Prufrock451 finished his latest contribution.

I spy MrT and LD, at a table near the center of the audience, drinking a couple of milks, a plate of half-eaten cookies in front of them. Hmm, I wonder what kind of milk is amber colored and has foam on top? LD keeps looking at his watch, mumbling something or other to MrT.

“We’re gonna miss her if we don’t leave soon…”

“We won’t miss her. You think I’d let that happen? I just want to stick around for one more.” He takes a long drag off his cigarette.

LD checks his watch again, then pulls out a wad cash and begins to count, making a neat stack of the crisp dollar bills. “One, two, three…”

I had to suppress the desire to run up to the white board and erase my name as Prufrock451 walks off the stage.

I pick my feet up one by one, and head to the center of the stage. Over on the left I see Secret Master showing Backpack, Storey, shawng1 and Rictus the proper technique for riding the mechanical wlak.

“See, this simulates a long-strided wlak. If it were simulating a Carpathian wlak, then you’d certainly get thrown off pulling this maneuver. HEE-YAH!”

On the right Peter the Conqueror is discussing the latest events he has scripted for the Righteous BastAARDs, with ws2_32 (aka Tom) who is talking about the latest stranges exploits he has come up with. Cat Lord, Ariel, kurtbrian, and Wyvern listen in. Sharurururur (?) looks on impishly. At another table, KingofNines, DanielMcCollum, and Mad Magyar discuss strategies for taking on the Ottomans while playing Hungary. And in the background, I catch faint glimpses of lurkers.

I move up to the mike, and adjust its height. I arrange my notes, lean forward to speak into the mike. “Don’t warble, don’t squeak” I silently command my voice:

“The Devaraja of Ayutthaya…”

[Sincerest apologies to anyone not mentioned by name. You’re all part of the rogues gallery of the AAR Bar!]

Last edited:
AARggh, matey!! i'll need to get another pitcher for this one. :)

you'll do fine. the hardest part is getting started. once you get into the flow, it comes a lot easier after that. at least it has for me.

crest.jpg

Yup, it’s my first AAR. So be gentle. :)

DETAILS:

Ayutthaya
GC, 1.05, VeryHard/Normal.

Goals: Not world conquest (I’m probably not good enough anyway)

Become the leading country in Southeast Asia

Resist the Europeans at all costs

Defend Buddhists against encroachment. If this requires Defensive Compassionate Invasions, so be it. :D

No military annexations of co-religionists. Now, diploannexing is a different story. ;)

State culture: Thai. This hurts manpower.

Religion: Buddhist, with all its assorted prayerwheels and flapiflops. And its techspeed penalty and tax income penalty.

Starting DP sliders:

Aristocracy: 7
Decentralized: 3
Narrowminded: 4
Mercantilism: 9
Offensive: 5
Land: 5
Quantity: 3
Serfdom: 7

Here is our starting position in 1419:

Ayutthaya owns the provinces of Bangkok, Kwai, and Phuket. These are the only provinces in 1419 with thai culture, and they are our only CB provinces.

PolMapSm1419.jpg

Below is a larger view of our starting geopolitical position.

We are bordered on the north by the Buddhist states of Pegu, Taungu, Vientiane, and Cambodia. To the south we are bordered by the muslim state of Malacca, while the Sultanate of Atjeh occupies the northern half of the island of Sumatra.

Further afield in the Spice Isles, lie the muslim states of Brunei and Makassar, and the Hindu state of Mataram.

Hmm, looks like we already know of lots of places to colonize. :)

PolMapLg1419.jpg

Real update tomorrow. (or later tonight, depends on work)

EDIT - added mercantilism slider which I forgot. DanielA reminded me.

Last edited:
I don't recall ever seeing LD peel of crisp dollar bills...probably because we gave up on paper $1 bills some ten years ago and now have pockets full of heavy, large $1 coins instead...until the weight of them makes a hole in your pocket and they all fall through. :)

BTW, the milk is a very special imported milk. The cookies...well, I could tell you about those - particularly the little brown lumps in them - but then I'd have to kill you. :D

An insteresting montage to get us started. I'm guessing that Malacca is #1 on your list...it's hard to pass up on what will become one of the most valuable CoTs in the entire game, particularly when you get practically no BB for annexing them.

Glad you've decided to take the plunge into AARdom. :)

and even if he does get BB, most of the world won't know where he is anyway. :p

That was a fun setup. Quite brilliant, actually.

MrT's right. We have loonies and twoonies. Paper money starts with the fives. However, the concept of me and a wad of money is extremely humourous. I get MrT to pay for everything. :D

Having MrT smoke like a chimney is quite near the mark, though. ;)

Glad you're taking the plunge, Lt. Tyler. Just take a deep breath and relax. You'll do fine.

I know I'm going to enjoy this. :)

Ko9s - Thanks for the quick response; it's nice to know people are out there reading. And since this is on Very Hard, BB is of paramount importance. Especially since there is a very large China to the north. If they roll the wrong way I could easily get squished. :)

MrT/LD - Oops, forgot about the loonies. And never seen the twoonies. But I figure the ladies that LD was so eager to visit don't really care for you shoving a big coin in their g-string. :)

Besides, if you really want those ladies to do anything, you need to give them money that's worth something. Something green that says 'In God We Trust' on the back. ;) :D

MrT - Malacca well...you'll see ;)

LD - Since you're so hard up for cash, maybe the AAR Bar will buy you a round. Hell, Norgesvenn should give you some milk on the house!

Thanks for the responses, update immediately to follow.

crest.jpg

Bangkok, Thailand, 1853.

“Come on, you follow, come on Mister,” said the young boy who was leading me through the crowded street.

Although the rain had just stopped, it was still stiflingly hot. George Winslow paused for a moment and removed his hat to wipe his brow with his handkerchief.

“Come on Mister.”

Winslow looked up at the eager boy ahead, and started to follow, trying in vain to dodge the large puddles in the street.

“How can it be so hot so soon after the rain,” Winslow mumbled to himself. “What am I doing here?”

Bangkok was certainly a far cry from Winslow’s comfortable office at Exeter College in Oxford. First there was the heat. Then the daily rainshowers. And don’t forget the bugs. Oh, the bugs were arguably the worst, carrying all manner of diseases in Winslow’s mind. Malaria, dengue; they made Winslow’s mind race at every ache and chill he felt. He almost reached for a quinine talbet right then and there.

But he was sent here, as the of the few men in the Empire who had any idea about the history of Thailand, especially its glorious past. The period when it was called the Kingdom of Ayutthaya, which Winslow specialized in. People in the government in England turned him to help explain the present. But despite all his studies of the region, Winslow really needed someone to help explain the past to him.

“Hey Mister, we here.” The young boy had stopped in front of a small dingy house, sandwiched between a row of other houses that looked nearly identical. The boy ran into the house, and started speaking in Thai. Winslow waited outside, next to a chicken scratching around in the mud. He caught a few words of the conversation, but not many. He thought he knew Thai well. But reading the words of Buddhist priests written 300 years ago is quite different from understanding the present day speech of a partly educated child. An only slightly deeper voice spoke, and Winslow was fairly sure it said, “Please, send him in.”

The boy reappeared, gestured to the door and looked at Winslow expectantly. Winslow gave him a few coins, at which point the urchin ran off down an alley.

“I hope I can find my way out,” muttered Winslow.

Winslow entered the small house, which appeared to consist of a single room. In one corner was a low bed, at the other end a small table with some books and scrolls on top. A small cooking fire in the rear filled the room with a thin bluish haze. A small figure had its back to Winslow as it knelt at the fire, arranging a copper pot.

“Welcome sir, perhaps you would care to sit and share a cup of tea with an old man?”

Winslow was floored. The old man spoke in Thai, but Winslow knew what he said perfectly. It didn’t seem possible. How did this man speak in a way that Winslow understood? Even during his interviews with educated government officials he could barely comprehend anything.

The man turned around, a small smile on his lips. He had a long silver moustache, with thin hair of the same color surrounding his bald pate. His eyes almost seemed to twinkle.

“Are you surprised at how I speak? But I presume you came exactly for that reason. Because of why I know the old speech.”

“Uh, well, yes,” I stammered in old Thai. My heart was racing. I couldn’t believe my good fortune. Could I actually be talking to a former eunuch who served the court of the Devaraja of Ayutthaya? But who else would know the old speech? I had read about the training of the eunuchs, their intense studies of the history of the kingdom, its laws, its literature. This was a historian’s dream come true. Winslow’s mind raced.

The Thai gave Winslow a slightly puzzled look. He then proceeded to open his robe, baring his privates to Winslow.

“Christ Jesus, what are you doing man!” Winslow nearly shouted. At this the man only gave Winslow and even more puzzled look, but still did not cover himself.

Winslow quickly glanced down, and it became obvious that the man was indeed a eunuch. Winslow quickly looked up and nodded, whereupon the man closed his robe. There was no sign of shame or embarrassment on his face.

“So, that story must be true,” Winslow thought to himself.

“I am Sirimongkol,” the man said. “And yes, I served the court of the Devaraja as a eunuch.”

“Would you like to sit down and have some tea?” he asked.

i have yet to play on anything above normal. my playing skills are not up to par with a lot of the masters of this forum, and i'm not sure i'd want to handicap myself playing very hard.

in the later game, china will have its hands full with revolts, so you probably won't have to worry too much about them. but at any rate, take the COT in malacca.

Let me tell you a secret. The murderous muslims in Malacca are making mad and marvellous plans for plundering, persecuting, and partitioning the palace of the Devaraja of Ayutthaya.

You'd better defensively compassionately invade them :)

And don't forget the treacherous Tarakonese, the assidious Arakonese, the myrmidons from Myanmar, the Chinese Imperialist Aggressors, and the dastardly deviants from Dai Viet? They are out to get you....

You'd better defensively compassionately invade them as well. For their own good. :D

But no worries. Boing is serene :)

Ko9s - I say, play on whatever difficulty level lets you enjoy the game. Who cares what other people play on? And you can always work your way up. I started on easy, and did exactly that. After I got the hang of things, I normally started playing a new level with a major, then tried a minor. Move up a level, and repeat.

As for China and Malacca, you'll just have to keep following this AAR to find out ;)

Peter - you'll be happy to know that though I'm nearing the end of the gameplay, your Beloved Boing remains independent, and serene. :)

Update to follow

crest.jpg

Bangkok, Thailand, 1853.

Sirimongkal handed me a small cup of tea and motioned for me to sit down near the table. Propping myself upon the cushions, I listened as he began to speak.

“I entered the service of the royal court as a young boy. This was quite a great honor for a family at the time. I left my village and traveled to Bangkok. I never again saw my family.

“My studies began in earnest. Reading, writing, proper etiquette when serving the God-King. Assisting the priests and the advisors to the king, running messages within the palace. I must say that I found it much more exciting than tending to the rice at home.”

Sirimongkal paused. The old man almost seemed to feel guilty for his last remark, thought Winslow.

“What are the origins of the Thai people, Sirimongkal” Winslow asked, hoping to stir him from his reverie.

“Ah, you are eager to talk history are you Winslow?” He smiled. “Well then, where should I begin? With our migration south from the area of Yunnan, fleeing the warlike Chinese and Mongols? Perhaps with the beginning of our golden age, that of Sukothai?”

“Yes, tell me more of Sukothai,” Winslow asked. “I know some things, but the few sources I’ve found are unclear or contradictory.”

“Sukothai was the first of the Thai cities to throw off the yoke of the Khmer, who ruled from Angkor Wat, the ruins of which still lie to the east of Bangkok. From all accounts it was a remarkable period. Sukothai was powerful, and collected tribute from many cities in the area. It was then that the great King Ramkhamhaeng invited monks from the island of Ceylon, bringing the teachings of the Buddha. Monasteries were built throughout the land. The kings of Sukothai loved their subjects and their rule was just.

“But this Golden Age was not to last forever. The Sukothai kings were slowly supplanted by the kings of Ayutthaya, which lay to the south. Initially founded by King Ramathibodi I in 1350, Ayutthaya was one of many small Thai kingdoms. It became more and more powerful, and by the year 1378 in the calendar you use, Ayutthaya had forced Sukothai to pay tribute. Much of the cultural achievements of Sukothai were adopted by the Ayutthayan kings though.

“By the year 1419, Ayutthaya had consolidated its dominance over the various Thai states, controlling the provinces of Bangkok, Kwai, and Phuket. Bangkok was especially rich, one of the underpinnings of Ayutthayan strength [OOC: Bangkok has a tax value of 15!]. Fine ceramics, sangkhalok, were produced in great quantities and traded throughout the east, from India to Nippon.

“At this point Ayutthaya was ruled by King Int’araja I (8/7/8). One of his first actions was to alter the corvee system, whereby men of a certain height (approx. 4 ft.) were required to provide labor once yearly, else pay a tax. King Int’araja reduced the length of service required to fulfill a man’s obligation. [DP adjustment: serfdom –1 to 6]”

“Really, it seems unlike Int’araja to do such a thing. From everything I’ve read he seemed to have wanted to increase the amount of labor the state could demand of the commoners,” Winslow said.

“Well..that is true. Some say that Int’araja regretted his decision,” said Sirimongkal. [OOC: This was arguably not the best choice. I wanted the morale increase and thought the production increase would be nice. Doing it again I’d likely choose to go a step towards naval, for the increased colonists and the trade increase]

Sirimongkal continued, “Int’araja knew that Ayutthaya could not stand alone. With an enormous China to the north, and the hostile Muslims to the south, Ayutthaya needed allies. Int’araja formalized the kinship with the other followers of Buddha, sending his female cousin Charunee to the Laotians in the Kingdom of Vientiane, and his nephew Othong to the Cambodians. An alliance between the three was formed by 1421, though the Cambodians demurred until Int'araja sent a beautiful black lacquered chest inlaid with mother-of-pearl.

“Int’araja’s other accomplishment was his promotion of trade. Traders from Ayutthaya were sent south to Malacca, where they sold the sangkhalok and spices produced in the kingdom. In return, they sent back many exotic goods brought to Malacca by all manner of traders, some from as far away as Arabia. The taxes and duties collected on these items helped fill the royal treasury.

“In 1424, King Int’araja I died peacefully in his sleep. He was succeeded by his son, Boromoraja I. While Int’araja was content to send traders to Malacca, when King Boromoraja looked south, he had other ideas…

I'm very impressed, LT. A very interesting story and backdrop to start us off, and then an excellent job with the first reign. I also see you've picked up the "leave us with a hook" technique. Now what kind of ideas do I think King Boromoraja might have as he looked south?... :)

maybe he was thinking "gosh, that water is blue". :p

good post. and that's a hell of a monarch to start out with.

Originally posted by Lt. Tyler

Aristocracy: 7
Decentralized: 3
Narrowminded: 4
Offensive: 5
Land: 5
Quantity: 3
Serfdom: 7

“At this point Ayutthaya was ruled by King Int’araja I (8/7/8). One of his first actions was to alter the corvee system, whereby men of a certain height (approx. 4 ft.) were required to provide labor once yearly, else pay a tax. King Int’araja reduced the length of service required to fulfill a man’s obligation. [DP adjustment: serfdom –1 to 6]”

Great start Lt. Tyler! (see, I remember to use your title :D)

I considered your DPsliders from start. I believed them to be rather goodish, don't you think! But then I read your move to serfdom. That appears to be a defensive move, are you not planning to expand your dominions in which case a decrease of stab costs becomes more important? Perhaps it was event-driven and not a voluntarily move? Perhaps it is the production effiency that lures :D

Good luck!
Daniel

PS1 You forgot the Mercantilism slider!
PS2 Don't forget to make trade agreements! The key to success!!!

I like this, a lot. Keep up the good work.

MrT - Thanks again! Like everyone, I struggled with a set up to explain how a narrator could be so well informed about 400 yrs history.

But they won't be totally passive characters. We still haven't learned why Winslow was sent to Bangkok, and there's more to learn about Sirimongkal. :)

Ko9s - Boromoraja may see blue to the south at the start of his reign, but it soon gets a decidely red shade. As in blood red :D

DanielA - Thanks for addressing me properly ;) :)
And thanks for noticing that I missed a slider. As with just about every other country in1419, it starts as 9 mercantile.

Overall the DP settings are okay. I'm not too terribly worried about going max serfdom for stability costs, since I don't plan on taking many non-Buddhist provinces. Also I plan on going narrowmided to get colonists. Like I said, increasing naval would hav been better, giving more colonists, more trade, and later on a better chance of explorers. I need random ones, as I won't get any scripted ones.

LD - thanks for continuing to read, every 'atta boy' definitely helps.

Update tomorrow. You'll all finally find out what happens to Malacca. :D

Hey, an AAR of a nation I've actually played in the GC! Should be fun.

The CoT at Malacca is a must. I made something a muddle of it toward the end of my campaign as I was not familiar with the whole scope of Chinese politics. Things change very quickly and very violently.

But with any small country, the trick is to get the ball rolling early. Momentum is everything. The highlight of my game was when I diplo-annexed Tibet. Not world-conquest by any stretch, but it was fun holding off the Chinese and Sub-continental hordes.

EF1

EF1 - nice to know you're reading! BTW, I loved your O Bohemia AAR. Hilarious!

And nice to know you've played Ayutthaya; for some reason I really like this country. And the flag is one of the best there is!
Release the 'Pissed Off Pachyderms'. They'd take those Granadan badgers, any day, any time! :D

Lastly, I'll agree with you that SE Asia is one of the most violent areas in the game. It makes things interesting.

Ko9s - the sharks will be approaching en masse with all the blood to be spilt.

To all - sorry about the lack of update yesterday; I left my files on my home comp.

Update immediately following: