• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(6777)

Field Marshal
Dec 10, 2001
The Rivers Run Red – A Palatinat Novella

Author’s Note

I played a rather enjoyable game as The Palatinat a while ago. Initially surrounded by other German minors and frighteningly close to Burgundy, France, and Austria, I found myself fighting for sheer survival on more than one occasion …particularly as I used the nastiest possible game settings.

I also set myself a series of preconditions during the game:

• (1) I will take no loans whatsoever unless forced to by a random event that has no alternative option. This means that if there’s a “money” choice that would force me to take a loan that also has another option that won’t, then no matter what I will take the other option. It also means that I can’t have monster armies that take up so much in maintenance that I have to borrow money to pay for them.

(2) No reloading except for a CTD or loading up for the first time in the day.

(3) Cheats are forbidden…in game or via editing the save game file.

(4) While a declaration of war is unacceptable without a causus belli, nor can I break a truce to declare war against someone I do have a claim on.

(5) Turbo-annexing not allowed. If a government happens to fall, fine, but not as a result of my intentionally making this happen.

(6) No alliances allowed outside of the elector states of the Holy Roman Empire unless the prospective ally is already my vassal.

(7) No silly, highly implausible royal marriages allowed.

As many of you know I had thought, initially, that my next project would be to write an AAR from the point of view of the AI as it either bumbles around and loses to me or initiates that hellfire of badboy wars that sees me crash and burn horribly. Thinking more carefully about the project, though, I realised that this wasn’t something I could (or wanted) to do right now after all. On the other hand, I have this rather great game going so….

I wish to write something a little along the lines that I used with my France AAR – detailed and somewhat story driven – however the recent works of Secret Master and Bismark in particular, a host of other AARs, as well as the outstanding work of Lord Durham, have inspired me to undertake something that is more of a plot-driven story than an endless recital of “I did this” and then “I did that” or whatever. However I also learnt my lesson about trying to write a detailed AAR over the course of an entire 400-year grand campaign. It takes too long, and it’s almost impossible to maintain reader interest, let alone my own personal interest in devoting that time and energy to it.

So this AAR is just about as absolute a reversal from my previous efforts as I could take and is really more of a novella than an AAR. You will, I hope, have to dig very deep to uncover most of the game details, the events, or anything of that nature – though on occasion you will find them less obscured. Instead, this is intended to be merely a work of fiction that uses them as an outline – and temporal framework upon which the story is constructed.

The entire AAR covers only a five-year span from 1439 – 1443 (yes, that’s five years considering that it’s inclusive of each year) during the reign of Kurfürst (Count-Elector/Prince of the Pfalz) Ludwig IV von Wittelsbach who ruled from 1436 – 1449. We will be following the lives of a number of characters during that period - some are fictitious, but most aren't. For those who were real life people, I have od course taken some considerable liberties with by placing them in situations and assigning them roles that they most likey never had. Since it’s a work of historical fiction…well, live with it please.

I will be referring to titled nobles by their historic language and national titles:

Orders of German Nobility
Reichstag = Diet of the Holy Roman Emperor
Kurfürst = Count-Elector (member of the Reichstag), highest titled noble in the Pfalz. Think of him as king.
Pfalzgraf = Count of Pfalz (Note that Ludwig is technically a Pfalzgraf too)
Burggraf = Viscount (Count of a City)
Freiherr = Baron
Edler = Lord
Ritter = Knight I’m not sure about this one, it might be “herr” as well

I will be adding to the above list as I begin using others…you’ll see soon enough who that might be. I've also just ammended it following some suggestions from Sorcerer.

There are probably a few other things that I should mention here, but I can’t think of them at the moment so you’ll just have to ask me as I go along.

Another edit...

In case you are joining this AAR "late" and want to catch up more quickly, you will find a link to the entire text in pdf format in my sig. Several people have commented that it doesn't hurt to have the web page with map and family tree open in a separate window (also linked in my sig.) to help follow along. :)

Another edit...

As this project has grown, and the AAR has traded in it's initial "novella" tag to become a full-blown novel, I should add that everyone should feel very welcome to comment and offer constructive criticism as they feel inclinded. Extended discussions about any aspect of the writing or plotlines are perfectly acceptable as I have managed to keep the pdf up to date. As such, feel free to treat this thread as much as a "writer's workshop" for the novel as anything. Those prefering to read the story without wading through the discussions should use the pdf versions in my sig.

And yet another...

As the length of this has increased, people might have some difficulty navigating to the spot where they last left off reading and my pdf versions will always be at least a few posts out of date. To help overcome this, I've now added links here that will take you to the start of each chapter in the thread, and also to the first post that follows the current pdf version.

Thank you all for making this a very enjoyable project. :)

And now, without further ado, I give you…

The Rivers Run Red

Chapter 1 - The Gathering Storm
Chapter 2 - Of Ambitious Men
Chapter 3 - The Butcher, The Bishop and the King
First post following current collected pdf version

Last edited:
The Rivers Run Red

A Palatinat Novel

• Oh woe the sons and brothers slain
    For with their brave blood
    The rivers run red
    Oh woe the wives and daughters b’reft
    For with their belov’d
    The rivers run red
    Oh woe the fields and pastures wreck’d
    For with their rich soil
    The rivers run red
    Oh woe the towns and cities rais’d
    For with their great fires
    The rivers run red

The Rivers Run Red
    a peasants’ lament – c. 1442

CHAPTER 1 - THE GATHERING STORM

January 1st, in the year of our Lord 1439

Heidelberg

He awoke to the sounds of the castle stirring around him, and his practiced ear told him that he had overslept. Again.

It was cold in the bed - a confirmation of the lateness of the hour as it meant that Anna had already arisen. Stirring, he made shift to draw the furs closer to his body, trying to draw from them every possible ounce of warmth that he could.

“Do you intend to sleep all morning?” came a long-familiar voice from the other side of the chamber. “If so, I shall inform young Ludwig not to expect you until lunchtime.”

He smiled. Not so late, it appeared, as Anna had not yet left. Cracking an eyelid he glanced towards her.

She was, unfortunately, already dressed and was presently engaged in brushing out her long dark hair. Once the knots and tangles had been banished, she would methodically braid and bind it into the bun she now commonly wore – a shame since it was her free-flowing hair that had made him catch his breath at the first sight of her nearly fifty ago. These days it was only rarely freed and had more than hint of silver in it.

As she continued her slow, methodical strokes he allowed his gaze to travel downwards to her slippered feet, before returning again to her face. She still had the same fine figure and slimness of form, in spite of the seven children that she had borne him; and though her face was now lined by the passage of time, there were far more of these lines that resulted from laughter and mirth, than from worry or concern.

Life was good.

“I was awake earlier. I simply didn’t want to disturb you my dear.”

She stopped her brushing and looked over towards the bed, hazel eyes glinting beneath arched eyebrows. “A likely story, old man. You snore so loudly that I’m surprised anyone in the castle, other than yourself, has had a wink of sleep in the last fortnight. I’m sure I would have noticed if you had stopped that hideous noise at any time since we retired last night.”

He laughed. It was their usual morning banter, designed to get his old mind working and chase away the cobwebs of sleep.

Abandoning any hopes of reprieve, he threw aside the covers and swung his feet out over the edge of the bed. After a few moments spent massaging his aching knees, he stood and walked over to his wife who had returned to her task. Placing his hands upon her shoulders and stroking them gently, he bent over and kissed her cheek.

“You’re fat, old man. For heaven’s sake go and put a robe on. Surely you don’t think I want to see that first thing in the morning.” Her actions belied her words, though, as she turned her face to kiss him on the lips.

He allowed his hands to roam slightly further a field but she pushed them- and him - away.

“We have not the time for that, Stefan. The servant said that there’s a messenger waiting for you in the hall, and he refused to deliver his charge to any man save yourself.”

“Really? Well, we’ll let him wait.”

“We will do nothing of the kind. Besides, I would have thought that you had had your fill last night.”

“With you my dear? Never!”

“Flattery is all very well, old man, but there are also important matters of state that await you. Have you forgotten? It’s Ludwig’s birthday today and you and your brothers promised to go hunting with him.”

He groaned. Of course! Ludwig had been born on New Year’s Day…what was it? Fifteen years ago? It was hard to believe that it had been so long. Whatever had possessed his brother to have a son so close to the Yuletide festivities? It was criminal to have to remember such things.

Realising that Anna would not relent; he turned to scoop up a robe and then called for a servant to bring him his clothes.

Less than an hour later, Stefan had dressed in his warmest riding gear and descended to the main hall. He saw the waiting messenger near the warm hearth, greedily spooning up a bowl of porridge to replenish his strength after the chilly ride. Even at the best of times the Neckar Valley was cold in the winter, and the snow that had fallen almost steadily for the last three days could hardly have made the man’s journey very pleasant.

Stefan crossed the hall towards him, acknowledging the bows and courtesies of those he passed. The messenger still wore a riding cloak and the emblem on each shoulder was unmistakable – the black eagle of the Holy Roman Emperor. Laughably, that suggested that the man had come directly from Ladislaus – though anyone who knew anything about the workings of the Empire knew that the message would be written in the hand of the boy’s regent, the ambitious Duke Friedrich Habsburg.

Reaching the bench, Stefan cleared is throat and said “I believe you have a dispatch for me.”

Startled, the messenger - a lad of barely twenty years of age - nearly dropped his food in his haste to rise and give obeisance.

“Pfalzgraf Stefan von der Simmern und Zweibrücken?” he asked, bowing very deeply upon seeing Stefan’s curt nod. “I bear a message from the Emperor’s hand itself and am charged to surrender it to no hand other than your own.”

Stefan extended his arm, displaying the heavy signet ring on his right, middle finger that identified him as one of the most powerful men in the Pfalz, and a chief advisor to the young Kurfürst who’s birthday it was this day.

“Here is proof that I am he; and you may now deliver your message.”

The messenger bowed once more and reached into a satchel that hung from his shoulder, producing a leather tube that was tightly capped at one end. Undoing the laces and opening it, he slid a rolled sheaf of parchment from cylinder and presented it to the waiting viscount.

Taking the document, Stefan inspected the wax seal that held the coil closed and nodded his approval that it had not been breached.

“You have faithfully discharged your duty, young man. Please remain here for a time; warm up and eat your fill, for I may have a reply for you to return to your master.”

Another deep bow. “Thank you, Pfalzgraf.”

Stefan climbed the broad staircase to the second floor where there were a number of comfortable – and, he hoped, heated – rooms with good light. Finding one that was both empty and warm, he settled down into a chair and broke the Emperor’s red wax seal.

• To the most noble Pfalzgraf Stefan von der Simmern und Zweibrücken.
    In residence at the castle of, and advisor to, Pfalzgraf Ludwig IV Wittelsbach, Kurfürst von der Pfalz.

Our dearest cousin.

As you undoubtedly have heard, the situation in the west is becoming graver by the month. Charles VII and his allies have made dangerous inroads and I fear France’s growing strength. Following Charles' repeated refusal to heed the advice of Jean d’Arc, this subsequent ten-year spree of military vassalization and - even worse - annexation has decimated the populations of several once-proud nations.

We need not tell you how distressed We are that Auvergne, Lorraine and Our dear Hanover have all been erased from the maps of Europe; nor Our great concern that the Dukes of both Holstein and Münster have been forced to bend their knee to acknowledge Charles’ sovereignty. This has done nearly irreparable damage to the Reich.

We are unable, however, to contend with this most egregious affront to Christendom or the German peoples due to other pressures that have been brought to bear on the Empire at this time.

Your young master, however, has inherited the strong alliance that his father - your brother Ludwig III, may God grant his soul eternal rest - formed some decades ago and renewed shortly before his death. We believe that your joint forces may be strong enough to resist the land-hungry French monarch, but only if you should act in concert, and soon. Rest assured, my friend, that we no long hold any ill will over your brother’s annexation of Mainz for, as he rightly pointed out at the time, it was indeed the hereditary right of the Kurfürst von der Pfalz to hold sway over those lands.

It is said that the armies of France are strong, and that their commander, Richemont, is as brave as he is wise. However there are also strong rumours that the nobles and peasants of France are growing weary of this incessant warring that their King imposes; and We have it on very reliable authority that there have been heavy casualties - both during their wars, and in suppressing the peasant revolts in the south.

We are also given to understand that Charles VII has now seen fit to create a permanent standing army of the Crown, and that he has undertaken strong economic and tax reforms under the advice of Jacques Coer – none of which is likely to rest easily on the hearts of his public, and all of which further threaten the realms of Europe.

We believe, therefore, that the time to strike must surely be soon - certainly before Charles VII is able to conclude his war with Kleves and Eire. It is impossible that Austria itself should do so, and therefore We do most earnestly request you to take up the sword and protect the peoples of Germany. We do hereby authorize your master to make war - if that be your will and disposition - upon the people of France and upon their allies; and We do absolve you of any resentment that might come from any territories that might subsequently become part of your own fiefs as an outcome of that undertaking - save only that you not stoop so low as to annex another.

But, Our dear friend, We can do further good on your personal behalf, for We have courted Pope Eugenius IV’s sympathies on this matter. He, too, is most concerned at the French monarch’s blatant disregard for good Christian nations and is in favour of some action being taken against the madman, Charles VII. The Holy Father has further agreed that your son – if We recall correctly it is your son Ruprecht who is presently a cannon of the Lord – will be elevated to the bishopric of Strassburg if you should support this cause and convince your young nephew to follow this course.

We do most urgently ask you to consult with your good and Christian brothers - the Pfalzgrafen von der Neunburg vorm Wald und von der Mosbach - and then use your joint influence with your nephew Ludwig IV to urge him to arms. We can see no other outcome that will bode well for Our Empire, or Our people. We cannot demand this of you, as We are not declaring war Ourselves, however We are sure you will see the wisdom of this plea.

Yours in Christ.

Ladislaus Habsburg
    Holy Roman Emperor and Arch Duke of Austria

By the hand of his faithful Regent,
    Friedrich Habsburg,
    Etc., etc.

Post scriptum – my friend, you must not fail me. Ludwig must be made to see the danger in what Charles plans for Europe
    F.H.

Stefan sighed.

After some seventeen or eighteen years of peace since the annexation of Mainz, it seemed that the Pfalz must needs be drawn into war once more. The Emperor’s message – though it was obviously Friedrich’s message as Ladislaus was far too young to employ such subtlety - was clear: Austria would forgive the Pfalz its transgressions if the Pfalz drew its allies into an uncertain and perilous war with the French. Stephan was to be the Emperor’s agent for this war, using his strong influence to convince his nephew to go to war. Stephan’s reward would be to see his own son elevated in the church; and for Ludwig, the matter of Mainz would never be brought to the table in discussions again.

Sighing again, Stefan realised that he would have to convince not only the young Kurfürst of the rightness of the cause, but also his own older and young brothers who had the lad’s trust as well. It was not likely to be a pleasant birthday for the boy, nor an enjoyable day for any of the Pfalzgrafen.

Standing with a groan, he muttered to himself, “Anna is right. I’m getting too old for this.” Then he descended the stairs and asked the messenger to wait another day before returning to his emperor. Finally, Stefan went to seek out his two brothers.

Outside, it began to snow again.

Last edited:
OOC

I’m not sure how clearly that came across, so perhaps I should explain that the Kurfürst von der Pfalz (Count Elector of the Palatinat) at this time is the 15-year-old Ludwig IV. His father had a number of siblings of whom we shall meet several: Johann, Stephan, and Otto who are all Pfalzgrafen (viscounts) in their own right. All three have children, some of whom you will meet as well.

As to the ridiculous notion that Ladislaus was the HRE at that age…don’t blame me. That’s who was elected in the game! In RL, Ladislaus was little more than Friedrich’s puppet in a massive powerplay that the Friedrich eventually won – and he would later be the last HRE to be crowned by the Pope in Rome…

Enough long-windedness from me.

I expect that each instalment will take some time to write at first as I am still feeling my way through both the style and the overall plot and presentation strategy. I hope you like it…

Last edited:
Re: OOC

Originally posted by MrT
I’m not sure how clearly that came across, so perhaps I should explain that the Count Elector of the Palatinat at this time is the 15-year-old Ludwig IV. His father had a number of siblings of whom we shall meet several: Johann, Stephan, and Otto who are all Vizegrafen (viscounts) in their own right. All three have children, some of whom you will meet as well.

As to the ridiculous notion that Ladislaus was the HRE at that age…don’t blame me. That’s who was elected in the game! In RL, Ladislaus was little more than Friedrich’s puppet in a massive powerplay that the Friedrich eventually won – and he would later be the last HRE to be crowned by the Pope in Rome…

Enough long-windedness from me.

I expect that each instalment will take some time to write at first as I am still feeling my way through both the style and the overall plot and presentation strategy. I hope you like it…

5 years is a REALLY short time... I wish you luck in this endeavor... I know I couldn't do it, that's for sure.... in HOI I could, but this... seems very dangerous to me.... as I can only really think in long terms(even though my chapters as of late have been much shorter time spans....) ;)

M

Re: The Rivers Run Red – A Palatinat Novella

Originally posted by MrT
…particularly as I am using the nastiest possible game settings.

Just a quick mundane question Mr.T. I play on very hard but I can't seem to see any difference for the other settings. Coward to Furious seem to play the same. Do you see any differences? Now with that question out of the way I'll sit back and start reading your new novella. Good luck.

Joe

Re: Re: OOC

Originally posted by Bismarck

5 years is a REALLY short time... I wish you luck in this endeavor... I know I couldn't do it, that's for sure.... in HOI I could, but this... seems very dangerous to me.... as I can only really think in long terms(even though my chapters as of late have been much shorter time spans....) ;)

M
You can do a lot of writing to cover 5 years. My War of the Spanish Succession AAR covered only 8 years of game play, and I found it quite enough toward the end.

Nice start, MrT. I just knew you couldn't hide in the shadows for long. I'm kind of itching to get back into serious mode myself...

BTW, what happened to your Papal project?

I know you can write a lot for a short period of time... I know it is entirely within the realm of possibility. I was just stating that I myself would find it a little difficult... I have no doubt that T can do it though...

M

Bismark: Thanks for the vote of confidence...hope I can live up to the billing. :) I look at the five years involved and wonder how I can possibly finish such an action-packed series of years in such a short period of time...it could take 50-100 posts. :eek:

The Rivers truely run red!

SM: Spoiler (slight) - the Palatinat had already annexed Mainz. More than that would be very dangerous....but I think you will appreciate the nation's goals. If you were playing the Palatinat think about your goals...#1 is become un-annnexable by owning 2 provinces. #2...?

Storey: I agree...very few differences (if any). Honestly, I could probably have played this section of the game on almost any setting without any noticable difference. I *think* that the diffence relates to how virulently the AI goes after you or how likely it is to accept questionable/boarderline peaces.

LD: I'm not at all surprised. Reading the first few chapters of your novel was the clincher...as well as some hard-learned lessons that you warned me about ages ago. The ol' KISS principal, eh? Well, I'm still learning...

Your Spanish succession suggested the possibility that this was a direction to consider and SM and Bismark's current projects simply reinforced my decision. I know it's entirely up to me to me to bring it home...something that I'm honestly a little scared about.

The Papacy is still on the back burner, but my initial research was approaching it from the position of doing a 400-year AAR and the more I think about it, the more I realise that I would be following down the same path towards self-immolation as I did with France. I need to isolate a specific period and concentrate on it, rather than show that world dominence is possible (likely) with the nation. After I've tried my hand at this (which I'm very nervous about since it's not really my "idiom") I hope to take the lessons learned and apply them to my effort at the Papacy.

The thing I most want to work on in this AAR is the individual characterisations. I would appreciate knowing how you (all) react to the characters I present. Whether they're believable...consistent...."different" enough that you think of them as separate people rather than one writer showing different sides of the same coin. It's too early so far, of course, since you've only met one, but the story will develop from the POV of several people and I want to try to make them individuals that are noticably different. I'd like to know if I can make you believe that there are multiple POVs rather than just the one.

But, most of all, I want these to be human characters rather than demigogs. They should each have their failings and strengths, and should be identifiable rather than remote. That's what I'm shooting for, and time will tell if I can do it. I just think that it's an important area to focus on in my development of my skills as a writer.

Criticisms, however harsh, are encouraged.

Well, something I don't do too much of are physical appearances of the people involved... which if you are going to be doing 5 years on a very detailed level, would be very nice.... but I will soon be doing it...

M

Excellent beginnings, MrT. The style is good. I'm really looking forward to this...

Five years eh? Book plans, MrT ( ;) )

But, most of all, I want these to be human characters rather than demigogs. They should each have their failings and strengths, and should be identifiable rather than remote. That's what I'm shooting for, and time will tell if I can do it. I just think that it's an important area to focus on in my development of my skills as a writer.
What is a demigog? (hehe)

Loved your intro and also the rules you've set for yourself. If you can keep up this writing style I recon you've got a hit on your hands.

OOC: Thanks to LD who correctly pointed out a few screw-ups to me via e-mail which I've now corrected in the first post. I knew I should have taken more time to get rid of those bugs. I've also adjusted the formatting slightly which, I think, makes it a slightly better presentation.

P-451: Thanks. You're allowed to be harsher you know. And there's absolutely no way in the world that I'd even dream of doing 400 years of this. It's going to take me several posts just to finish January 1st 1439. :eek: Even five years may end up being quite a surprisingly long epic.

Bismark: I think that to write something at this level of depth, I'll need to have the readers identify stronly with a few of the characters in particular so their individual development will be crucial to the success (or lack thereof) of this project.

thames: could very well turn from a novella to a Lord of the Rings-length epic.

Did I use the wrong word? Demigog is a sort of amorphous characterless super-human (or maybe extra-human). Granted, it is a rather uncommon word.

Wyvern: Thanks. I've been finding the game so easy to play that I really have to set some pretty stringent controls on what I am allowing myself to do or it gets boring in a hurry. I thin, with only five years to address, that I will be able to maintain the style fairly well, though I may have the odd "time jump" to skip some of the (few) slightly quieter periods.

I should have another instalment ready sometime this weekend, and I'll post a political map when I get home tonight.

Thanks for reading. :)

i thought you were talking about demagog[ue]s-- politicians and orators who influence people by their emotions or prejudices, rather than demigods.... ;)

M

I just reread your first part again to get the characters firmly in my head, old age does that to you and liked it even more. It wasn't confusing and seemed to have a very natural flow to the story. You might have a winner here Mr.T.;)

Joe

Originally posted by Bismarck
i thought you were talking about demagog[ue]s-- politicians and orators who influence people by their emotions or prejudices, rather than demigods.... ;)

M
You know, I think you're right except that I muddled up the meaning with yet another word that just isn't coming to my thick skull at the moment. oh well, you ge the drift.

Thanks's Joe. I made a few changes to the text that probably helped that out too.

WOW! Nice beginning. Characters so far are totally believable, and likable too. I think you've done a great service to yourself doing just the five years or so. I completely understand the difficulty in presenting 400 years of such writing.

And I think it was wise to leave all of the OOC stuff for a later post, perhaps periodic updates of major events and whatnot.

Look forward to the continuation of this effort with great eagerness!:)

Reference Material

For your future reference, I provide, below, a partial family tree of the Wittelsbachs. If you can't see them, try following this link instead.

fam_tree.jpg

Also, here is a map of the political situation in January 1422, prior to France's annexation and vassalization spree.
France now owns Auvergne, Lorraine and Hanover and Holstein are vassals. They also have a series of military access treaties.

1439_01_pol.jpg

Last edited: