• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(6603)

Historian in Training
Nov 30, 2001
Visit site
Unser Streben

Ambition: an ardent desire for rank, fame, or power

The desire for power predates our story. For millennia man has sought to increase his own influence, wealth, and standing in society. When controlled, this want for power is not necessarily a negative. A level of healthy competition can breed innovation, it creates a society which is always looking to better itself, albeit at the expense of another. What happens when too many different forces pull for a limited amount of power? Well, that is our story.

Last edited:
A general map of the electorate of Brandenburg, circa 1415.

brandenburg13201415.jpg

For those who are curious. I am playing this game on Very hard and normal. I don't really know where my expansion plans lie, because I am going to try to play it as I go. I will play for a couple years and then write, rather than my past tendency to play whole games and then try to write- only to realize that I didn't remember enough detail.

Last edited:
Book I: The Struggle for Power

The dark, dreary Royal Palace of Berlin did not lend itself to the mood of the day. Miscellaneous nobles and Barons from across the country gathered to decide the future of the Electorate of Brandenburg. The name wasn’t catchy, but it was difficult to find another more fitting. It was a national entity is political disarray. For centuries, the right to rule had bounced from German dynasty to dynasty. Friedrich I was the first of the Hohenzollern line of electors.

However, the purpose of this council was not to discuss the political history of the nation, but rather the future. There were opportunities for expansion on every side, and each man that spoke had his own opinion of the best manner in which to increase the power of the nation. The previous dynasty had squandered its power, the question now was how to get it back.

Baron Von Frankfurt spoke out against this plan. “Your most feared Majesty, would it not be more practical for us to strike against our southern neighbors, the Bohemians? The provinces of Erz and Silesia have high German populations that would embrace our rule!”

Baron Von Liebenwalde, hailing from a more northern part of the nation countered, “This man would have us use the limited resources of our nation to pay for his own personal safety. Note that his property lies very near to the Bohemians, and while my sympathy is with him, I cannot condone the use of national resources to serve the interest of one man. The proper solution is to take Madgeburg, and then focus on the lucrative Baltic Coast.”

“While you both bring up valid points, your personal bickering displeases this court. Von Liebenwalde, the plan you offered will be implemented. Because it was your idea, you will take personal control of our military forces. As for Bohemia and our southern neighbors, they will be dealt with in good time.”

Last edited:
Friedrich’s powerful voice had calmed the ruckus and silenced the noise of the delegation. With the question of foreign affairs now definitively settled, the focus shifted to domestic policy. The simple fact that such an assembly of nobles had been called to help determine the future of the nation was evidence of a strong aristocracy. This strong aristocracy prevented the elector from centralizing the power of the state.

The military was in shambles. It was disorganized and it lacked focus. It was neither a swift-striking, offensive army, nor a besieging, defensive army. This was the area that most concerned Friedrich, but he was willing to humor his nobles for a bit longer.

“My Lord”, Von Liebenwalde arose again to address the assembly, “Might it not be beneficial for our nation to pursue a more innovative approach? We can gain technological advances that no other nation has, which will improve all facets of life, including the military,”

“My respects to Von Liebenwalde, but perhaps a better policy might be to pursue a more trade-oriented economy. There is a rich center of trade to our north, well within our grasp. If we could maintain a strong presence there, that would greatly subsidize out income, thus increasing the available funds for things like the military and infrastructure.” Von Prignitz had been raised in the rich city of Amsterdam, and knew something of the benefits of a trade-centered economy.

“I must say, dear Gentlemen, that you have all missed the mark on this matter. Our research should be based primarily on the land-based military, and infrastructure. With this combination, we can both expand as well as support that expansion. I would favor a more innovative mindset, but not at the expense of the quality and character of our armies!.”

“Von Friesack, you have found favor in the eyes of your ruler. Your keen intellect and long-term thinking is exactly character that I seek in an advisor. Perhaps you would be so kind as to join me after we adjourn to further discuss these policies?”

With this, Friedrich dismissed the assembly for the night. The basic goals of the nation had been defined, but there was much work to do. Friedrich had grown fond of this young man. His university education and background of noble birth would prove a potent combination in dealing with enemies, both at home and abroad. There would be little sleep on this cold December night, for in all the hubbub of the meeting of the nobles, Friedrich had practically forgotten it was New Year’s Eve.

Last edited:
Nice start LJ! I'm looking forward to seeing where you go with Brandenburg. Good dialogue, and it certainly conveys what was going through yur mind at the beginning of the game.

Looking forward to your future instalments.

Edit: removed OT comment now that it's no longer valid.;)

Last edited:
Good Catch on the repeat, it has been corrected. I must have misunderstood the image option, so I guess a link will have to do. Well now that I have 3 installments under my belt... I should probably start the game. I still have it paused on Jan 1, 1419.

Looking good, Lord Joseph! :)

I'll read it, as I have a Brandenburger under my belt as well. Well, until the game crashed.

I echo MrT in saying that it was a very good introducion in explaining your situation and thoughts. Now play the game!;)

Joe

Hey LJ, do it this way...

brandenburg13201415.jpg

PM Me if you're not sure how I did that.;)

A bit too much celebration?

Friedrich awoke suddenly, noting a chilling breeze from the window. His servant, Dimitri, a gift from the House of Moscovy, was standing next to an open window.

“Dimitri, why do you draw the curtains so early on this mourn?”

“Why, your majesty, it is but two o’clock in the afternoon.”

“Silly me, I suppose I had a bit too much celebration last night. Tell me good servant, how goes this new year?”

“The new year is already a day old, but you did do a tremendous amount of celebrating two nights ago.”

“Dimitri, do you mean to tell me that I slept all through the New Year’s Day feast?”

“Yes milord, but your servant-chef Jacque was good enough to make you a feast on this lovely January 2nd.”

“Hah! So, the French do have some redeeming qualities. But my good servant, what about New Year’s Day mass, surely I haven’t slept through that?”

“Milord, Cardinal Fankinsteen was good enough to say mass for you yesterday, despite your inebriated condition.”

“But what of the Holy Eucharist, how did I receive that?”

“Jacque saw fit to make a bit of a puree out of the Host, and it was forced down your throat, for the good of your eternal soul of course.”

“Well I’ll be damned. Is there anything else I should know before I leave my private chambers?”

“Perhaps Baron Von Friesack would be more appropriately prepared to answer such questions, milord.”

“Von Friesack is here? Well send him in.”

“Milord, you had asked him to come and see you on New Year’s Eve. He has been waiting quite patiently ever since.”

“I knew I forgot something…”

Good story, though you took my nation!!:) That's ok, though. I'll be starting an AAR up soon about Brandenburg.

Competition is good for the body and soul.

Baron Von Friesack sat patiently, sort of, outside his Majesty’s chambers. Despite the chilling draft in the hallway, he was quite comfortable, for a man who had spent the last 36 hours sitting on a wooden bench, with only brief respites to relieve himself and to consume Jacque’s culinary creation. He jumped to his feet as Dimitri appeared at the door.

“His Majesty will see you now, milord.”

“It’s about time…”

For the ruler of a small nation, Friedrich’s bedroom was blatantly dull and uninteresting. Aside from some very interesting Venetian drapes, there was nothing to note in the furnishings of the room. The Elector was sitting at a small table by the window, devouring the leftovers of the previous days meal.

“Milord, you wished to see me?”

“My trusted advisor, I must apologize for having kept you in suspense for so long. What is it that we were going to discuss?”

“Milord, I believe you were interested in my advice on the domestic policies of our state.”

“Of course I was. That was just a test my young friend, but you passed with flying colors.”

“Well I thank you my lord for your generosity in giving me the opportunity to pass such a test. Now what I had suggested to you was that the resources of our state be split between building a military and improving our infrastructure. Under such a plan, it would be quite easy to catch up in areas such as trade or naval power later.”

“A wise observation, I pray you to continue.”

“That was all I had to say, milord.”

“Oh, well perhaps you can brief me on anything important that has transpired in the past 24 hours then?”

“Nothing of major note, Sire, with one minor exception. The Electorate of Saxony has declared war on Madgeburg.”

“Does this affect our plans regarding our expansion to the west?”

“Most certainly, milord. I took the liberty of recruiting one thousand infantry and four-thousand cavalry in your stead, but they will not be ready for months.”

“Why wasn’t the order to attack given immediately?”

“Sire, only the ruler can give such an order, for we are not at war.”

“Yes, I am aware of that you feebleminded scum, but that does not answer my question!”

“Sire, may I remind you that you are the ruler of our nation?”

“Of course. Well I suppose that our expansion plans will be put on hold, for now. Good day my noble advisor.”

With this, Von Friesack turned and retreated out of the royal chambers, having lost even more confidence in the abilities of Friedrich. The opportunity to annex Madgeburg may have been squandered, for at this moment there were 15,000 Saxons marching on that very province. This did not please Von Friesack, nor would it please the other nobles. The question remained, what to do next? If another meeting was called, Von Frankfurt would get his way and Brandenburg would declare war on Bohemia. Von Friesack believed this to be a foolish venture, but how could he prevent it?

“How could it have come to this?”

Pacing about his personal chambers in the royal palace, Baron Von Friesack was still fuming from his meeting with Friedrich a few months earlier. In that time, he had experienced the lamentation of several key nobles over this situation, but none offered solutions. He needed answers, and he needed them quickly. There had been a movement to wait it out, for even if Saxony took Madgeburg, it could always be retaken later. This wouldn’t suit Von Friesack; he was a man of action. More dangerous than that, he was a young man of action. He had a place of prominent power in the court of Brandenburg, and yet he was too young to have lost his dashing, idealistic zeal for action. Waiting wouldn’t due, but what would?

The knocking at his door interrupted his train of though, which only served to decrease his mood. A young boy poked his head in though the partially opened door. Resisting the temptation to slam the door on the boy’s head, he acknowledged his entrance and asked what news he brought.

“Mi… Milord, Baron Von Lieb… Liebenwalde is here to speak with you.”

Seeing no need to further traumatize the small child, Von Friesack politely thanked the boy and asked him to bring Von Liebenwalde in. Von Liebenwalde had apparently received the news from Saxony as happily as Von Friesack had, maybe there was one person of competence in this court. His years in the military had made Liebenwalde appear older than he really was. A large, well-built man, he was the leading soldier in the land, but while his military might was unquestioned, his strategizing was problematic, and Von Friesack didn’t know what advice this old man could offer.

“Dire news from Saxony. Have you reached a viable response to this act? The Saxons are attempting to take a piece of land that the whole continent recognizes as rightfully ours. I see only two options, neither particularly attractive.”

“Tell me, my wise soldier friend, what are these two options?”

“We have the option of ignoring Saxony’s declaration of war and moving immediately toward Madgeburg, but this plan is not without risk. It is probable that the Saxons will beat us to the province, and our arrival will do no more than aid their conquest.”

“This option is inherently unacceptable, I pray the other will bring more hope.”

“The other option is more drastic, for it involves an immediate declaration of war against Saxony. This would enable us to face the foe while they are already at war, but Saxony has an ally in Hannover who cannot be discounted. If we fail against them, it could be with dire consequences.”

“I do not intend to put the entire future of our nation at risk for the sake of a small piece of land. Perhaps there is a solution that we have not yet considered. What if the Saxons were to lose to Madgeburg?”

“My peer, this would make things much easier, but it is unpractical such luck will be bestowed upon us. The Saxon army is more than double that of the defenders, and their allies will be moving from the west soon to aid them. Short of divine intervention, I see no hope for such a scenario.”

“What of Heidi?” A wry smile appeared on Von Friesack’s face.

“The Swedish wife of Jacque, what of her?”

“Have you heard of the women’s skill in the kitchen?”

“I believe the entire court has been blessed with that knowledge. You no doubt recall the last instance that Jacque allowed her to cook for his Majesty. The food poison nearly killed him. There was talk of trying her for treason, but it died down eventually. What of her?”

“Perhaps it is time for a royal gift to the Elector of Saxony, and his honorable armies that are so bravely fighting for him. I believe I shall inform his Majesty of his next course of action, for he needs to sign the paperwork.”

“His Majesty is still not capable of lifting himself out of bed? That damned Heidi, what was it that she cooked for him anyway?”

“Some vile animal. I have heard it resembles a camel. In any case, it allows competent decision-making for once in the history of this country. I bid you good day, kind sir. You may want to ready our military. Once the Saxons are defeated, it will be our opportunity to strike at the vulnerable lands of Madgeburg.”

With a bow, Baron Von Liebenwalde left the room. Von Friesack couldn’t help but laugh at his genius. Who would have thought that the few ducats he paid the Swedish maid to serve Friedrich her specialty would have proved so beneficial. That wlak stew, it sounded so innocent. Who would ever suspect what had really happened?

It was a bright, warm day, the first of July 1419. The warmer temperature reflected the mood of the palace, as rumors were swirling. News of the recent miracles in Madgeburg was abundant, and the absence of Heidi couldn’t be ignored. Baron Von Friesack couldn’t help but gloat a little, but he had more important matters to tend to. With the return to health of the Elector, Von Friesack was no longer all-powerful in policy making. It was an added twist that his plan had worked to absolute perfection, thus leaving Friedrich incredibly indebted to him, for he had resurrected what could have been an absolute disaster.

The New Year’s debacle had faded from memory, as the church bells announced the declaration of war against Madgeburg. It was a mere formality, since what remained of the Madgeburg Army had wandered into Saxony after their great victories at home. The Saxons, though still reeling from there sampling of “Wlak Stew”, had managed to collect themselves enough to annihilate the Madgeburg forces, but it was too late. The Brandenburg Army, under the control of Baron Von Liebenwalde, was well on its way to the province, and in a matter of months the first step in the Lieberwalde Plan would be completed. With foreign affairs set, Von Friesack shifted his focus to the infrastructure of Brandenburg. His plan called for the implementation of tax collectors in all provinces, but he needed Friedrich to sign off on the plan.

As he entered the hall that lead to the chambers, Von Friesack began to reflect on sad appearance of the palace. Von Friesack had grown used to this dreary atmosphere, and a serious upgrade in interior decoration was needed, but Von Friesack would never suggest that public funds be allocated for such a purpose. The personal chambers of the Elector should be something majestic, but at this, they failed miserably. The exception was those beautiful drapes. Perhaps one day Von Friesack would give in and purchase some of these for himself, but that day would come immediately after he found a wife or a social life.

“Milord, it is a great day for our nation. Our armies are marching towards Madgeburg, and we have acquired the ability to place tax collectors in our provinces. You will no doubt remember that part of my play was to improve the infrastructure of our nation, so as to be able to support our territorial expansions.”

“Ah, and a brilliant plan that was my friend. You want tax collectors, you shall have them, where do I sign?”

“Here milord.”

“So when will these tax collectors be in place my faithful advisor?”

Milord, the cost 50 ducats a piece, so it will be at least three full years before all are implemented, and four years before we see the full fruits of our labor.”

“This is foolishness, we will just borrow against the bank of Berlin, let’s see. Three times 50 ducats a piece… carry the one… 200 ducats would do as a sufficient loan, wouldn’t it?”

“Milord, with respect I must insist that we not take out a loan. Its long-term effects could cripple our economy, with no significant possible gain as a justification for such a risk.”

“I respect your opinion, but you are not the Elector, that is my job. I demand that tax collectors be placed immediately.”

“Milord, it would be most unwise to upset the positive vibe that our working relationship has. Rumors have begun to surface about your whereabouts on Easter, and it would be most devastating to a god-fearing populous if they found out their leader cannot stir before dinnertime because of his tendency for drinks late at night.”

Acquiescing, the humbled leader sank back into his chair. He nodded to Dimitri, who quickly brought the royal seal. Von Friesack’s plan was signed, and he happily retreated to his den on the first floor of the palace.

“Poor Dimitri, he has to serve a master he knows to be less than competent. I suppose he is the only other in the land to know of who is really in charge. I shall have to be very careful of him, for he may know too much. Now, the next question is, where can I get those lovely drapes.”

“Milord, it is a pleasant surprise to see you so awake on this mourning.”

Baron Von Friesack was genuinely surprised to see a sober Friedrich I on this New Years Day, 1420. A cross look from the Elector caused Von Friesack to move from small talk to the matters of state.

“Milord, the first phase of our infrastructure upgrade has been initiated. On this very day, a tax collector was hired in this city. By the first of next year, he should be collecting the extra funds.”

“I still say we should have taken out the loan… How does our army in Madgeburg progress?”

“The siege of Madgeburg progresses milord.”

“That doesn’t answer my question as to how it progressed your indignant twit!”

“Perhaps milord might be more specific as to the nature of his question?”

“How successful has the siege been so far?”

“Does milord define success by the fall of the city?”

“Well… yes.”

“Oh, well in that case the siege has been an utter failure, for the city still stands.”

“No! That wasn’t what I… You know what I…. Argh!”

“Do you need a hug, milord?”

“I could have you killed for your disrespect, you are but a child!”

“Perhaps milord should consider who would run his government if something were to happen to me.”

“Grrrrrr… Very well. Tell me trusted friend, how long might we expect the siege to last?”

“Is that what you want to know? Why didn’t you say so. Milord, it pleases me to report the city shall fall within six months. Will that be all milord?”

“Yes you arrogant rat… Oh, say, have you heard the latest news from Bohemia?”

“No Milord, I have heard nothing from Bohemia.”

“Apparently they have undergone some sort of religious revolution. They are calling themselves Protestants, and are no longer considered part of the Catholic community. That should interest your peer, Baron Von Frankfurt.”

With a heel click, Von Friesack turned and left the room. He had almost forgotten about Von Frankfurt’s suggestion to attack Bohemia. His proposal may have gained some credence with this recent turn of events. It would have to be watched closely…

LJ,

Great work... Keep it up.

Baron Von Friesack was no a man to be interrupted whilst he slept, so when that same damned boy-servant stormed in waving some letter, he wasn’t overly pleased. This had better be important.

“Tell me boy, why have you disturbed me? What time is it? It’s barely light out for God’s sake.”

“Master, a letter from Baron Von Liebenwalde!”

“What does it say then?”

“Um… sir, I can’t read…”

Utterly displeased at this inconvenience to his beauty rest, Baron Von Friesack ripped the letter from the small boys hands. As he suspected, it told of the fall of Madgeburg. It finally surrendered during the previous night, May 22. Madgeburg controlled no more territory; their armies had been defeated, so the victory was complete. It was Von Friesack’s duty to report all of this to his Majesty, however impotent his power might be.

The long walk from Von Friesack’s chambers to those of Friedrich was becoming a familiar one. Von Friesack had recently ordered the halls of the palace to be redecorated with the same drapes that hung in the royal chambers. The fellow who hung them was a little odd, and he felt that black was the best color to use. It added to the dreary atmosphere of a palace, and what kind of a name is Death anyway?

“You highness, the fortress of Madgeburg has fallen. What are your orders?”

“We must annex their lands at once, duh.”

“Milord, apparently our last diplomat was recently sent out to Sweden, you ordered him to secure Heidi’s twin sister, remember?”

“Indeed I did. Order the army to return to Berlin, and at the earliest convenience, have the lands annexed.”

“Very well milord, a brilliant strategy. It is exactly what I would have done without your consent anyway.”

“EXCUSE ME?!”

“Nothing milord, I bid you a good day… why aren’t you dead yet?”

Two long years had passed since the annexation of Madgeburg. It was not well looked upon by the rest of Europe, and those two years had been spent encouraging royal marriages and offering state gifts, particularly to Poland. The Poles played a vital role in any expansion plans for Brandenburg. They were the most powerful neighbors, as well as the leader of powerful triple alliance of Poland, Lithuania, and Bohemia. Friedrich had offered several gifts that improved the relations between the two nations, but now an invitation to the alliance sat on the table, and an answer was needed. Rather than make the decision himself (i.e. allow Von Friesack to chose) Friedrich decided call the assembly of nobles to Berlin. He had grown fond of tossing the nobles this bone, and it kept them content enough, so Von Friesack didn’t oppose.

“Gentlemen, you know the purpose for which we gather, so I will not waste your time. Poland proposes an alliance. This is an important opportunity, but we must consider all sides to this. It would prohibit any expansion to the east or south, for Bohemia would also be our ally...”

“Milord, if I may interject.” Baron Von Frankfurt arose from his place, but everyone already knew what he would suggest. “I don’t believe that our best interest is represented in this alliance. Why should would severely limit our options for the next decade, or maybe even longer! We should align ourselves with the Austrians, and hit the Bohemians from both sides. That is our route to greatness, at least in my humble opinion.”

A number of nobles applauded this suggestion, indicating that Von Frankfurt had been busy “rallying” support to his cause in the past months.

“Bohemia’s conversion to a Protestant sect has isolated many on the continent, and perhaps an alliance with them would lead Brandenburg into unnecessary wars. For this reason, I must agree with Von Frankfurt, though I don’t support his usage of national resources for his own personal gains.”

Very wise points raised by the red-cheeked noble. He was but a boy, no older than 17 or 18. How is it that someone so young finds himself in such a place of importance? He was recognized as the new Baron Von Madgeburg, but how did he get such a title? This train of thought was interrupted by Friedrich, who stood to address the assembly.

“While the fears and concerns of the opposition are duly noted, it is my opinion that this alliance will help us to carry out the Liebenwalde plan, the conquest of North Germany. Perhaps down the road, an opportunity will present itself for us to free ourselves from this alliance, but now is not that time.”

Exactly on schedule, the Elector-Prince had shot down the movement against Bohemia. Von Friesack wanted the last word on this matter though, and rose to give a few parting words.

“Well said milord, your wisdom and quick-thinking are stunning. It is now the summer of 1422, I propose an immediate conclusion to the upgrade of our infrastructure. We need to be ready to strike when our allies draw us into war, which the inevitably will. I might point out that while our relations with Poland are strong, Lithuania and Bohemia do not take so kindly to us. If we should fall into a war, they might be hesitant to support us. I believe the first priority is to secure the friendship of our allies.”

To this, Friedrich agreed. While the assembly was officially concluded, Von Frankfurt was livid. His hated enemies were now not only allies, but also the treasury was to go to them to improve relations. Von Friesack could only chuckled, but he had unfinished business to attend to. Who was Baron Von Madgeburg?