• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(1996)

Colonel
Mar 19, 2001
www.thealienonline.net
For God, The King and St. George. An English AAR.

IN-CHARACTER ONLY THREAD

Welcome one and all to this, the latest of my AARs. Having canvassed opinion in an earlier thread, it has become apparent that what folks wanted to see was a second stab at England in the Grand Campaign. Always happy to oblige, and keen to rectify some of the glaring errors of judgement and naive mistakes of 'England... Something a Little Different', I have taken up the virtual pen once more and am about to embark on a new narrative journey.

I'm planning on running this as a semi-collaborative narrative-style AAR. I have approached several distinguished and notable members of our community and asked them to join the proceedings as members of The English Privy Council. They will act as advisors to the King, making clear their opinions and views by off-forum email. I will then act on their suggestions, or not, as I see fit. I am the Lord Chancellor, after all, His Majesty's trusted right-hand man, and it is to me that the safety and prosperity of the nation have been entrusted. However, that is not to say that ignoring the views of the Privy Council on a repeat basis would be either advisable or healthy. We shall see what transpires, shall we not?

{As an Aside, apologies to anyone who considers themselves to be a distinguished and/or notable member of the community who I have not yet approached. Anyone who feels that they would like to make a contribution as a member of the Privy Council should let me know, and I will consider their application should any vacancies arise, or should an expansion of the Privvy Council be deemed advisable.}

So, here's how I hope this is going to work:

I will play the game, and post narrative episodes that indicate the results of Privy Council meetings, decisions on policy and so forth, as well as extracts from the journal of the Lord Chancellor, expounding on the actions undertaken in the process of the governance of this great nation of England, and other notable happenings from overseas. I shall try to keep the updates frequent, posting as often as I can, even if it is just a short episode at a time. Screenshots as appropriate. And then, should any member of the Privy Council see fit to post their private thoughts, musings, reactions, or correspondence on this thread, then they are invited and most welcome so to do, providing they do so IN CHARACTER (a point they have all been briefed on and agree to).

In addition, I'm happy to open the narrative to one and all, but I would greatly appreciate it if you would observe the following general rules and guidelines when posting:

1) Please DO NOT post any Out Of Character (OOC) Comments, Questions or Suggestions on this thread. I ask this as a courtesy, because I would like, if at all possible, to maintain this thread as pure narrative. I have already set up an OOC Thread in which you can post any queries, thoughts and reactions in whatever manner you see fit.

2) So when you do post something on this thread, I would request that you please do so IN CHARACTER. This means adopting a fictional persona appropriate to the era that the main story has reached and then recounting an episode, or just their thoughts or reactions to the way the history of our fair England is progressing.

3) I would ask that no-one adopts for themselves a rank above that of common knight, priest, merchant trader or craftsman. We already have access to the opinions of the Great and the Good in the form of the members of the Privy council, so I think it might be interesting to hear how the macro-level game events affect the lives of the common folk and yeomanry on a micro-level. So for instance, you could be a London shopkeeper, and write about the way the war in France has driven up the price of the cloth you sell, therefore allowing you to send your only son to school. Or a soldier on campaign in Brittany hoping to make it home to see his sweetheart once again, or a junior priest hoping to make his name as a missionary to North Africa or the wilds of western Ireland. See what happens in the game, think of something you'd like to comment on and then a situation that you can use to illustrate the point.

4) Please feel free to plan ahead, develop a dynasty or family that you can then follow through the 400 year narrative of the Grand Campaign. It might be interesting to post every 30 years or so, so we can see how historical events have affected the succeeding generations of characters. This is not compulsory by any means, but it migth provide a nice element of continuity.

5) It may transpire that the King notices the efforts of certain citizens and appoints them to prominent position or higher rank. Some might even reachteh lofty heights of the Privy Council in decades to come. Alternatively, if they get mixed up in the wrong crowd, they may end up executed for treason. Such decisions will be the decision of the King and his Lord Chancellor, and should be accepted in good grace as and when they occur. Please not that the King does not like toadies, nor those who take airs and graces on themselves {so avoid sucking-up, or promoting yourself without the King's express say-so, or you might get chopped off at the knees}.

6) Characters don't have to be English, or even based in England. If you wanted to explore the lives of someone caught in France during the War with England, or in Brittany, England's vassal, or anywhere else in the world, then please do so. Remember though, this isn't a roleplaying exercise as such, so please try to include some form of narrative-based comment on the events in the game as part of your creation.

7) I would also ask that you restrain your contributions to words and actions appropriate to the historical period. I have no objection to humour, the whole point of this sort of exercise is that people should feel free to express themselves and above all, enjoy themselves. But let's not get too silly. Keep it authentic, please. If you want to start a spin-off thread to explore a particular episode or set of characters in more detail and in whatever manner you see fit, then please feel free.

8) Again, just to stress the point, please keep OOC comments to the other thread. I realise it might make it slightly awkward if you want to heap praise on someone's contribution, or ask a pertinent question, but I really would like to try keeping the two elements separate.

So, there we go. I hope everyone is okay with the guidelines as outlined, and no-one thinks them too Draconian.

I will be starting to play the game over the weekend, having consulted with the Privy Council as to current policy in dealing with the War Against France. The results of the first episode will be posted early next week. I hereby invite anyone who wishes to post IN CHARACTER to do so as soon as they like - without waiting for the update if you want to lay some groundwork for your character. Bear in mind, England has been at War with France for many years, over King Henry V's claim to the French Crown. Owen Glendwr's Welsh rebellion of 1400-09 has been defeated, the French were beaten at Agincourt in 1415 and Normandie has been conquered during a two-year campaign of 1417-1419. England stands poised to take the French crown, and our vassals in Brittany and allies in Burgundy stand ready to aid us in this endeavour.

So, I hope the Privy Council will introduce themselves when they have a moment, and perhaps we'll hear from one or two lesser, but no less important, members of the English citizenry in due course.

For God, the King and St. George! To War!

Milords, I bid you welcome.

My name is Roger, Earl of March, and I have the great honour to be the Lord Chancellor to King Henry, fifth of that name, under whose great and noble rule the proud nation of England currently propsers.

His Majesty, (as well as I, his ever humble servant) is currently on campaign in northern France, pressing his just and righteous claim to the crown of that nation. His Majesty's Plantagenet ancestors once ruled much of the land now claimed by the usurper Charles, (ancestors which I am proud and indeed honoured to share) and so every true Englishmen, aye and all honourable Frenchmen, must surely rise in support of the Divine Right of succession by which our noble Henry presses his claim, or be held as traitors to God and justice.

It will do me great honour to keep your lordships informed as to the progress of events here in France, at home, and further afield. I shall do so by making those potions of my journal that are suitable for wider consumption available to those lords, such as yourself, who by means of your high station possess the wit and education to read them.

Ah, I hear the page arriving outside my pavillion (a good lad, young Ansel, if a little dim). No doubt His Majesty wishes to consult with his Privy Council on matters of import.

I bid you good day, my lords. I shall speak to you anon, God willing.

The Lord Chancellor of England - Roger, Earl of March - this day of our Lord December 31st, 1418

Last edited:
John, Duke of Bedford, third son of the late King Henry Iv of England was taking his evening repast along with his younger brother, Humphrey, the Duke of Gloucester. Both were younger brothers of Henry V of England, John being the third son of Henry and Mary while Humphrey was the youngest.

They were currently stationed in south-western France in command of around 16000 battle hardened troops, all eager for action.

John was the first to speak. "It should not be long now before we receive orders to move on France. What news do we have from our brother?"

"He remains eager to press further his claim to the French throne" replied Humphrey. "Charles of France will rue the day he did not submit himself to the rightful king"

"And France's allies?" John continued, "Will they join battle?"

"All our reports suggest they will", Humphrey answered.

"It is as the king expected then", John declared, "and with our allies of Britanny and Burgundy, we shall carve up for each of us a merry corner of France. With Guyenne less than a month's march away, I see little to stop us from gaining land that will see the wine cellars of England well stocked for many years"

Enter messenger

"I bring tidings from the king, sir", the boy announced.

"Then speak it now", John commanded.

"It is contained in this parchment", answered the boy. "It is for the eyes of no-one but my lords John, Duke of Bedford and Humphrey, Duke of Gloucester"

The young lad handed the document to Bedford.

"Wait on the reply, good page", John said as he quickly perused the contents of the missive. He passed it then to Gloucester and waited for him to read it through.

"Well that seems to be clear", Humphrey said to his brother before turning to the boy. "Send message to the king that we understand fully what is required of us"

"Let us finish this meal first", answered Bedford. "We still have much work to be done ere this day is out"

Last edited:
Lord Barkers checked his armour, carefully he opened is helmed and looked inside. He could smell th oil the pages had used to grease the joints. He grabbed one of the arms and tested the joints, no sound, good. The leather straps used the tie the heavy armour on his body had been renewed. He stepped back and looked at his armour, it glinted in the sun.
"Well done, Humpfrey."
He patted the page on his head.
His armour was ready for battle. Slowly he reached for his sword. He balanced it in his hand and with a twist of his wrist he slashed the air. The blade was expertly made, well balanced and wrought of some of the finest beaten steel the Kingdom had.
Barkers smiled, he was ready for the war.
A war that had lasted many times his age and had killed thousands of brave men. Slowly the English had gained the upper hand. The battle of Agincourt pushing the balance towards the English side.

He turned towards the stable
"Put the armour back in the armory, no need to let it stand outside to rust"

Barkers pondered the fate that had brought him to this foreign ground.
Once he was a minor Saxon noble, Lord over a domain a man could walk around in less than a day. And now, now he was the King's Champion.
A poweful knight sworn to protect the King's honour and his life.
He was even considered a friend by the King.
Life could be strange in these bright modern times.

Sir Nicholas was in an ugly mood. The carriage ride to London really hadn't done much to improve his temper. Despite a carriage ride from Nottingham taking almost a whole day longer than on horseback, Sir Nicholas had chosen to travel this way, mostly due to his behind not being accustomed to travel on horseback anymore.

Right now, it was the Genovese merchant that bothered him the most. He had already concluded the deal about some Mongol tapestries, but now the Genovese claimed Sir Nicholas owed him more money.
Grudgingly, Sir Nicholas accepted to part with some more of his gold. At least the tapestries were his. Although they were made by infidels, their beauty was breathtaking.

Sir Nicholas was honoured to be on the Privy Council, but he did not much look forward to this meeting. His stout, short appearance had more than once been the reason for the general amusement of the other members. He knew they condescended him for his lack of valiant behaviour, but he in turn knew that making money and gathering riches would increase his power. There's only so much that can be done by weapons alone.

The greying, hunched form of Lord Clarendon of Sussex bobbed gently as his equally greying mare plodded down the dirt-track road. Behind him marched half-a-dozen men at arms, wielding an assortment of axes and swords and shields and dressing in the Yellow-red-gold livery of the Sussex family.

Trees towered up over both sides of the pass, casting a pallid shadow over the small company. The trees let no light past their dense canopy, resulting in an inky blackness just beyond either side of the path.

Clarendon idly stroked the his steeds neck, mumbling comforting words as he did. The horse was skittish. And he had reason to be, French and Breton brigands still plagued these forests, no matter how many men the young King sent after them.

That was not what killed him.

Well, indirectly it was. A throwing axe was flung from the darkness, but the aim was poor and instead of imbedding itself inside Clarendons head, it sliced a deep rent into the side of the faithful horse, who was then seized by sudden, deep instinct to get the hell out of there. Sadly, Clarendon had not expected this and as the horse reared up on its hind legs, he fell the saddle, breaking his neck and killing him instantly.

So died the Forth Lord Clarendon of Sussex.

Vincent Clarendon stretched idly as he trudged alone the same dirt path, though some mile or so further behind. His sword banged constantly and painfully against his leg, but he ignored it. With him were his four body guards, also in the livery of his family but with a few subtle changes. The trip from, first Sussex to London, London to Calais and then Calais to here (where ever 'here' was, he thought grimly) had been gruelling, arduous and frankly, extremely dull.

He was glad it was nearly over.

Or so he thought. He snapped out of his reverie as a familiar figure began to bound down the path towards him. A heartbeats worth of time was all it took to recognise the man as one of his fathers soldiers. His name escaped Vincent. He hurried to meet with him.

"Milord! Bandits! AMbush!" He said between great lungfuls of air.

"Where's my father?" Vicent said forcibally. The soldier looked away.

"Dead, milord." Vincents knees buckled beneath him. Father, dead? That made him, the Fifth Lord. Good God.

"Wait on the reply, good page", John said as he quickly perused the contents of the missive. He passed it then to Gloucester and waited for him to read it through.

"Well that seems to be clear", Humphrey said to his brother before turning to the boy. "Send message to the king that we understand fully what is required of us"

"Let us finish this meal first", answered Bedford. "We still have much work to be done ere this day is out"

"Indeed. Squire, more wine, and I shouldn't have to ask you anon. John, I verily feel the time is nigh at hand to extend the glory of England."

"God willing, bro." Bedford leaned forward, a smile dancing on his lips. "I believe it was most opportune of me after all."

"What is that?"

"I sent an advance force to Guyenne. I gave them express orders to study the walls of Toulouse."

"You did? When?"

"The past week, 'ere you arrived."

"Then that explains why the camp appears lighter. When do you plan to join them?"

John, the Duke of Bedford, regarded his younger, scholarly brother with a feral gleam in his eye. "As soon as our brother commands."

Minutes of the Privy Council Meeting, January 1st, Anno Domini 1419

I regret, milords, that these are not, as such, the full and accurate minutes of a Privy Council meeting per se. Many members of said august and noble body are, on the orders of His Majesty, currently to be found in numerous disparate locations around France and in London.

Nevertheless, I have made some attempt at least to gather together the opinions of those lords of the Privy Council as have been expressed both in correspondence and via representatives sent to attend in their stead, to His Majesty, King Henry V of England.

To whit: The general feeling of the Council is that the King’s War in France has reached such a stage that a decisive and swift campaign, at this point in the proceedings, could and indeed will bring great rewards to the crown.

Milords Bedford and Gloucester are currently in Poitou with an army of some 16,000 stout Englishmen and French levies, whilst His Majesty and milord Clarence is currently in Caux, with a combined force of 31,000 foot and mounted soldiers. We therefore have the opportunity to strike against the French in a grand pincer movement, striking from both the North and the West into the very heartland of France and her allies.

The Council registers total agreement with His Majesty as to the order of battle. In the north, the King will strike in force against Paris, inflicting swift and sure defeat upon the French army of 19,000 there. Meanwhile, Clarence will move against Maine, currently held by King Charles’ lapdog lackey the Duc de Provence.

In the west, Bedford will take the bulk of the force there and move on Guyenne, whilst milord Gloucester relocates to Poitou to await the raising of additional levies in preparation for an attack on Vendee. His Majesty obviously seeks to join his territories in the north to those in the south, thereby providing a corridor of influence into the very heart of France.

Meanwhile, orders will be issued to the fleet to transport the London garrison across to Caux, and also to collect the Earl of Beauchamp from Northumberland, so that he too might assist His Majesty in France. We realise that the Scots will no doubt move against our northern border, but we have little to fear from the Highland rabble – Newcastle will hold firm, of this we are sure.

We fully anticipate that the French vassal states; Bourbonnais, Auvergne, Orleanais and Provence, will seek to inflict defeat upon our allies of Burgundy. The Burgundians have an able leader in Jean de Pressy, so we anticipate that they will weather the storm and then render assistance against the French. Meanwhile, we have requested that our vassals of Brittany send troops to assist in the taking of Maine.

The Bishop of Ely, attending in his capacity as the representative of milord Gloucester, expressed the opinions of the Duke - that the war with France should take absolute priority and be fought with the aim of uniting the two kingdoms under the crown of England. In this he is, quite naturally, in full agreement with the King’s stated policy – the creation of an English France. The Bishop also expressed the personal opinion that England should stand firm as a champion of the holy mother church and continue to deal with heretics in the harshest possible manner.

Milord Gloucester also expressed his desire to have at The Scots at teh earliest possible opportunity, and further, that he would welcome a posting to the north of England once his duties in France were fulfilled. The young Lord Clarendon, newly arrive in stead of his sadly-lamented father was heard to express a slight reservation at the idea of provoking the Scots any further than necessary, although remained uncommunicative when pressed for his reasoning. He is young, no doubt daunted by the august company in which he finds himself, and perhaps unknowledgeable of the King's desire that all opinion shuld be expressed freely and openly without fear of adverse consequence.

Sir Barkers of the Order of Knights Militant, expressed a small reservation as to the wisdom of conquering France entire, pointing out that the possibility of later rebellion might unbalance the King’s peace, and also suggesting that some French presence in Europe may well be desirable, as a foil to the Burgundians. A valid point, but the King is still determined to re-take his rightful inheritance from the French usurper.

The meeting was concluded with the taking of holy communion and a toast to the health of His Majesty.

Long Live the King!

Last edited:
For God, the King and Saint George! – Episode 1 – The ongoing War against France.

From the Journal of Lord Roger, Earl of March.
The Year of Our Lord, Anno Domini, 1419.

January 1419

The month began most auspiciously, with a royal wedding in Caux. His Majesty, Henry V, mindful of the need to maintain good relations with our Burgundian allies, was married by proxy to Eleanor, the comely and most delightful daughter of Duke Philip of Burgundy. This union will surely bring great benefit to the nation. She will join His Majesty as soon as it is safe so to do, and the union will be blessed with issue, we are sure.

And then, with the ceremonies complete and the vows exchanged, the King goes to war!

Henry V marches on Paris with 21,000 men. Clarence marches on Maine with 10,000. In the south, Bedford takes 14,000 against Guyenne whilst Gloucester and a reserve force of 2,000 moves to Poitou to await reinforcement.

As the month progresses the King’s army encounters some 19,000 Frenchmen outside Paris and inflicts a crushing defeat upon them, sending them fleeing to Champagne. Paris is besieged. Meanwhile, news arrives that Jean de Pressy has attempted to take Orleanais at the head of a Burgundian army, and has been repelled. A setback for our allies.

Meanwhile, the case of the Lollard Heresy is brought before the King, but his concerns are primarily for the war and so he decides to let them be rather than face disturbances at home. This does not sit well with many of our Catholic neighbours, but the King cares little for their concerns at this time.

Word also arrives that the Scots have, as expected, invaded Northumberland and besieged Newcastle. We are sure the garrison will stand fast.

Reports arrive from oversea that the Ottoman Empire has declared war on Candar. And likewise, the Palatinat has attacked Mainz, Hannover (Madgeburg) has declared against Oldenburg and finally Castile, hoping to complete the reconquista, has declared against the Moors of Granada (Fez, Algiers). Word also arrives that the French, desperately seeking friends as they prepare to face the wrath of England, have arranged a Royal Marriage with Aragon. A development that will have to be watched, closely.

February 1419

The sieges of Guyenne and Paris continue, and another is initiated in Maine. Then on the 22nd the remnants of the French army counter-attack against the King and are annihilated to a man. Thus half the French strength is destroyed and the threat from them greatly reduced.

Word arrives that the Portuguese have entered into an alliance with the Castilians.

March 1419

A second French army of some 18,000 or so, having force-marched from the Languedoc, attacks King Henry’s siege lines on the 16th . The King is well prepared for the eventuality, and in a ten day battle is able to inflict a second crushing defeat on the flower of their armies. Surely now the campaign in France will be all but unimpeded.

Reinforcements from London arrive in Caux and march to assist Clarence in Maine.

April 1419

The Earl of Beauchamp arrives in Caux on the 2nd and marches at once on Picardie. The siege commences on the 23rd.

Elsewhere, we learn that the Poles (Lithuania) have declared war on the Teutonic Order (Prussia) and the Duchy of Saxony has joined the Madgeburg alliance.

May 1419

At the end of the month, having gathered recruits in Poitou and Gascogne, the Duke of Gloucester initiates a siege in Vendee.

News arrives that Sweden (Denmark) has declared against the Teutonic Order (Prussia) also, although Norway has abandoned her Scandinavian allies.

June - July 1419

Our sieges continue, but the attack on Maine is interrupted by a counter-attack of some 7,000 knights of Provence. Milord Clarence is taken somewhat by surprise and to our great dismay, is defeated and sent in full retreat to Normandie. The King is bitterly disappointed, to say the least.

We spy a French fleet in the Channel and so our warships put to sea and engage them on the 12th.

Elsewhere, Novgorod joins the Teutonic alliance and therefore the wars against Poland and Sweden. Austria joins the Hungarian alliance with Bohemia, Luxembourgh and Siebenburgen.

August – September 1419

On the 10th our fleet, despite being some three times the size of the French, is driven back to Kent by poor winds and a lack of opportunity to close with the enemy and destroy them.

The remants of the second French army, bolstered by fresh recruits to a strength of 4,000 foot and 11,000 cavalry launches another attempt to relieve the siege of Paris, but again our noble King Henry is victorious and they are driven back to Champagne.

The other sieges continue, with progress in all cases, and then at the end of September, Clarence returns once more to Maine.

Elsewhere France enters into a Royal Marriage with Savoy, seeking allies on their Eastern border. The Duchy of Kleves enters the Lorraine alliance with the Palatinat. There is some furore in Bohemia as a heretical sect gains sway over the Duke and the Catholic faith is abandoned. This is somehow tied in with the death of Vaclav IV in Hungary, but we know not how. A strange occurrence in any case, and a disturbing one.

October 1419

Clarence arrives in Maine and drives out the remnants of the force that defeated him to resume the siege. A French recruit army is defeated in Vendee, and then on the 23rd, Picardie falls to Beauchamp, who has made short work of the fortress there. Beauchamp marches at once on Nivernais, paying his respects to His Majesty whilst en-route via Paris.

November 1419

Normandie is besieged by some 7,000 men of Orleanais on the 12th. Clarence will have to deal with them once Maine is his. Then, on the 22nd, Paris falls to King Henry and great rejoicing ensues. His majesty marches at once on Orleanais, determined to bring the rebellious Duke to heel. The very next day, envoys arrive en mass from all of France’s allies and vassals, eager to abandon their overlord and sue for peace. A peace is indeed signed between England and Scotland, Bourbonnais and Auvergne, but the Duchies of Provence and Orleanais are left to stew.

On the 26th another Provencal force arrives in Maine and lays into Clarence’s army, which has been reinforced by some 10,000 men of Brittany. Beauchamp arrives in Nivernais on the 30th and immediately lays siege to the fortress.

Meanwhile, elsewhere Hannover is annexed by Oldenburg, Aragon joins an alliance with Naples and Albania, Genoa forges a new alliance with Savoy, a clear snub to faltering France, and at the end of the month, Scotland (France) takes advantage of the peace settlement with England to declare war on Eire instead. A bloodthirsty race, the Scots. Auvergne, Orleanais and Bourbonnais both refuse to fight and are excluded from the French alliance. We expect they will go crawling back ‘ere too long.

December 1419

A French counter-attack in Nivernais is thrown off by Beauchamp, but Clarence is once more defeated by a numerically inferior force. Perhaps the ferocity of the Provencal troops is his undoing, or perhaps milord Clarence is not quite the general that his brothers are? I have done my best to mollify His Majesty, who is thankfully engaged in the siege of Orleanais, but I fear the King has a good mind to deal most harshly with his Lord brother.

As an aside, the lady Eleanor of Burgundy is finally able to join His Majesty once Beauchamp secures a route through Nivernais to Orleanais, and the wedding is properly celebrated towards the end of the month.

A most auspicious year for the Kingdom of England.

The Year of Our Lord, Anno Domini, 1420.

January 1420

Annual tax revenues this year amount to 124 ducats.

The men of Orleans abandon the siege of Normandie and attempts to relieve their beleagoured homeland, but their small force is swiftly defeated by the noble King Henry. In the meantime word arrives that the Orleannais are the first to have rejoined the French alliance and are therefore now at war with Eire also.

Then on the 27th milord Bedford forces the surrender of the province of Guyenne and, according to his order, marches at one on The Languedoc.

February – March 1420

Word arrives from England that the King’s victories have led to an upsurge of affection and loyalty amongst his nobles and subjects [stability +1]. The Duke of Bedford meanwhile arrives in the Languedoc, defeats an army of some 6,000 and lays siege on February 15th.

Elsewhere, we learn of developments in lands of the Rus - that the Teutonic order and Prussia have agreed to support Novgorod in her war against Suzdal, Tver has gone to war with Pskov and Muscowy, having thrown off her vassalisation to the Golden Horde, had now formed an alliance with Ryazan. Chaos in that region, it would seem.

April 1420

The King takes Orleanais on the 14th. The Duke immediately sues for peace, offering the treasury of Orleans to King Henry, but His Majesty leaves the Duke to hang and refuses to settle a peace, not yet. Orleans is occupied by an English garrison and the King marches to Caux. His Majesty has decided that the Scots cannot be allowed to take territory from the Irish, lest they grow stronger, and so he will go to Eire and take command of the situation, leaving the war in France to Bedford, Gloucester and Beauchamp. And Clarence of course. He is to be given one last opportunity to redeem himself. Reinforcements are raised in Normandie, and Clarence moves the remainder of his army there to link up with them.

Then an envoy arrives from King Charles of France, offering to surrender the territories of Guyenne, Picardie and the as yet unconquered demesne of Champagne in return for peace. The King refuses the French suit, and sends the envoy back to Charles with a note of polite regret.

We learn that Saxony has entered into a royal marriage with Brandenburg, although the machinations of the German Dukes concerns the King but little.

May 1420

In early May our fleets once more engage the French in the channel, and Clarence returns to Maine for a third attempt to salvage his honour. The French ships are defeated this time and all six warships are sent to the bottom. In addition, French rutters are stolen, but we learn nothing new.

On the 18th, an ambassador from Brabant is heard, deep in his cups at a banquet in London, is heard to remark that the new Queen of England is a “whore of France”, who was previously betrothed to a Charles’ nephew. His remarks, totally unfounded and unacceptable, have caused grave Diplomatic Insult, and give us Casus Belli for a war against the Brabanters should we choose to pursue it.

June – July 1420

Milord Clarence’s great test comes on the 10th when a Provencal army attacks him once again, This time, though, he is victorious. The men of Provence are driven off, Maine is besieged and Milord Clarence’s honour is restored.

Then on July 17th, Bedford takes the Languedoc and marches at once on Provence. Charles of France offers Picardie, Laguedoc and Guyenne and is once more rebuffed.

August 1420

A most successful month, as both Vendee and Nivernais fall to our victorious armies. Milord Beauchamp marches at once on Champagne. Milord Gloucester splits his forces, sending 6,000 to assist Clarence in Maine, whilst he himself takes the remaining 6,000 men across to Champagne to speed the conquest of the province.

We learn that the war between Pskov and Tver has ended with the payment of indemnities by the former to the latter.

September 1420

The last remnants of the French King’s armies, some 4,000 foot and 2,000 knights, are fought and defeated in Champagne and a siege is initiated by Beauchamp.

October 1420

The Duc de Bourbonnais re-joins the French alliance and hence re-enters the war with ourselves, but we doubt he will be able to turn events in France’s favour. Meanwhile, King Henry arrives in Meath to a suitably rapturous welcome, and begins to lay plans for a war with Eire in the new year. The Scots, it would seem, have been singularly unsuccessful in their own attempts to subdue the Irish, barely weakening the forces of Ulster. I am sure His Majesty will fare much better.

November – December 1420

The remainder of the year is concerned with the ongoing sieges in Provence, Maine and Champagne and the preparations for the humiliating defeat of Eire. The Burgundians take the opportunity to launch an invasion of Bourbonnais.

Bohemia joins the Polish alliance and hence enters the war against the Teutonics, but little else of note occurs.

A most successful year for England and King Henry.

The Year of Our Lord, Anno Domini, 1421.

January 1421

157 ducats are raised in annual taxes.

The King declares war on Eire on New Year’s Day and marches at once on Ulster with a compliment of 14,000 men. We do not invite the Burgundians to participate, it would be inconvenient for them to attempt to send troops to assist us.

King Henry encounters the Eirinnish army on the 16th. They fight hard, and it is a full eight days before His Majesty can claim the field as his, but nevertheless they are defeated and annihilated. The siege of Belfast ensues.

On the 23rd, the Duke of Bourbonnais once more sues for peace, and the Burgundians are forced to abandon their siege of Berri.

February – April 1421

Our sieges continue, until the 6th of March, when Clarence takes Maine. His army is allowed to rest and recuperate – it will not be long ‘ere the King of France is brought to his knees and forced to surrender the bulk of his lands, and so there is little for Clarence to accomplish in the meantime.

The King is reinforced – somewhat unusually – by 6,000 Scots sent to bring the siege of Ulster to a swift conclusion. They come in useful when a counter-attack by a hastily raised Eirinnish force from Leinster occurs, and the Scots are sent to beat them back, which they accomplish with little effort.

May 1421

Champagne falls on the 20th under the combined efforts of Beauchamp and Gloucester. The Duke then takes 9,000 men and marches for Caux, there to take ship for Northumberland as he requested. Our truce with the Scots holds until 1424, but after that we are sure an able and proven commander will be needed ‘ere long.

A second counter-attack against the King’s Army is defeated again, and the next day the Scots return to their ships, having wrested the princely sum of 17d from Eire.

Word arrives that Murad II has risen to the throne of the Ottoman Empire. At the end of the month, a trade agreement is signed with our allies in Burgundy, to prevent our two merchants in Flandern from being ousted by unnecessary competition.

June 1421

The Duc d’Orleans once again offers this entire treasury, some 116d., for the preservation of his independence. The King refuses. Orleans will be annexed and added to the English crown, but all in good time.

There is a development on our southern border which could have long-term implications – the Basque Kingdom of Navarre declares war on her much larger neighbour in Aragon (Naples, Albania). We fail to see what the Navarrese could hope to gain from such a move. A bizarre development indeed.

July – August 1421

Ulster falls to King Henry at the end of July and His Majesty at once marches on Leinster, where the Eirinnish have managed to erect some form of fortress. Meanwhile an infantry force is raised in Meath to take the undefended Connaught and Munster. The King arrives in Leinster on August 28th and a siege is initiated at once.

Croatia joins the Hungarian alliance.

September – October 1421

Our trade position suffers from Unhappiness Among the Merchants, despite the fact that we manage to insinuate ourselves into Genoese Liguria. Perhaps they are protesting at our failure to establish a foothold in Venice.

Then on the 20th of October, Bedford is victorious once again, as Provence surrenders. The Duc de Provnce immediately offers the province of Maine and 93 ducats in reparitions, which Bedford is happy to accept on King Henry’s behalf. He returns, victorious, to occupied Languedoc.

At the same time, an envoy is sent to the Duc d’Orleanais to inform him that his lands have been annexed and his demesne is now a part of the English crown. Thus the King’s holdings in northern France are doubled at a stroke. Charles, distraught at the loss of one vassal and the reduction by half of another, attempts to settle peace once more, offering Nivernais, Picardie, Guyenne, Vendee and the Languedoc. But not Champagne, and so he is refused once more.

November 1421

Bedford marches with a small contingent to Lyonais, where the Burgundians have been making great progress with their siege of Lyon. Bedford takes command.

Meanwhile, King Henry is successful in Eire as Leinster surrenders to his armies on the 28th. Munster, Leinster and Connaught are surrendered to England and Ulster is made to bend the knee as a vassal to the Crown. Ireland is brought to heel and the King sails for England to plan for a possible campaign against the Scots.

December 1421

Lyonais falls to Bedford’s control and another French province is added to the weight of the sword that hangs over Charles’ head. We merely wait now for the arrival of his envoy.

A superb year for England. Eire is conquered, and France’s surrender is surely inevitable.

The Year of Our Lord, Anno Domini, 1422.

January – February 1422

We raise 147 ducats in annual revenues. The King’s popularity is on the increase once again, having wavered slightly following the declaration of war on Eire last year. But his swift and sure victory has quietened any lingering doubts in the minds of his nobles.

Hi Majesty arrives in Northumberland, but his visit is to be short-lived…

March – April 1422

In the absence of the King, rebel elements sieze Connaught and raise an army of some 3,000. The King decides to make an example of them and prepares to return to Eire. At the end of the month, the King arrives in Meath and marches in force for Connaught at once, whilst Gloucester arrives in Northumberland and re-garrisons Newcastle. Towards the end of April His majesty falls on the rebels in Connaught and annihilates them utterly. That should teach them to question the King’s rule. His majesty retires to Meath, but this time decides to remain on Eirinnish soil to provide a visible deterrent against future uprising.

Meanwhile, Ukraine joins the French alliance at the end of March and therefore declares for King Charles in our ongoing war. A strange development indeed, but not one that ought to trouble us greatly. They are joined by the Auvergne in April, but they are just as cowardly as the Bourbonnaise, and offer a peace settlement again by the end of the month.

Still no envoy from Charles. We wonder why he delays? Perhaps he seeks further allies to fight his cause? We doubt he will find any.

May - July 1422

Still no word for Charles. Perplexing and irritating in equal measures. Towards the end of July we decide to chivvy Charles along, demanding that he surrender all territory currently controlled by England. He refuses. To help persuade him, Bedford is sent to the Dauphine, where a Burgundian force is once more laying siege.

We learn that the Rus are now allying to fight their western neighbours, as Ryazan (Muscowy) declares against the might of Lithuania (Poland, Bohemia)

August 1422

Charles finally sees sense on the 7th, sending an envoy to King Henry in Meath to offer the surrender of the provinces of Lyonais, Languedoc, Vendee, Guyenne, Picardie and Nivernais. The King considers his options. He might be able to force France to become England’s vassal, but would then only be able to secure Vendee and Picardie to the crown. Whereas this settlement would leave Charles with only Dauphine, Champagne and the Ile de France to his name – weakened, and in no position to threaten England’s position. His ongoing claim to the Duchy of Burgundy could cause a problem in the future, but it seems unlikely that he will ever be in a good enough position to exploit it.

And so, the treaty is signed, and peace is restored. The forced union of England and France has not yet occurred, but is surely a massive step closer. England has gained a reputation as something of a warmonger, and the forced annexation of Orleanais has not gone down well with the rest of Christendom, but the King is pursuing a just and legal claim, and so will not be swayed. Let Christendom examine its conscience if it should seek to deny Henry V of England his rightful dues.

It is now clear that a period of reinforcement and reconciliation is due. New armies are recruited in France, and new troops raised in Northumberland, should the Scots seek to exploit the necessity of keeping a large proportion of England’s forces on the continent to guard against rebellion. The King himself considers returning to France to re-assert his presence, but has other matters to occupy him at the moment. The Queen Eleanor has given birth to a boy – named Henry for his father, naturally, the heir to the throne of England. Rejoice, one and all, for the line of the House of Lancaster is secure!

To my dearest Eleanor,

The year of our Lord 1421, May 23rd

it is with deepest regret that I have to inform you of my current indisposition and that I will be unable to see you yet for several months. I have been unable to write to you earlier, due to the risk that my correspondence would fall into vile and evil hands who would seek to turn my words for their own ends.

I am writing to you now from Rheims in the province of Champagne. I am happy to report that this has fallen into our hands. Prior to my posting here, I was called upon by my brother to capture the port city of Nantes. The city held out to us longer than I had expected although I feel that the new recruits raised in La Rochelle were less fit for the task of capturing cities than those who were sent south with my brother John, the Duke of Bedford.

Did I ever take you to La Rochelle? A delightful little town which I'm sure you would love. Totally different from Nantes where, even after a year of siege, the roads stank of festering and rotten fish. Rheims, I will admit has certain endearing qualities, not least the wine which I believe is actually light enough to be drunk by the fairer sex. I shall be sure to bring some of this back to England when I return.

Turning to the subject of my return to England, I am somewhat saddened to hear that I will be unable to spend much time with you. I have been assigned to reinforce the northern borders against the Scots who treacherously rose up to attack us while our valiant armies were in France. Rest assured that I do not believe there shall be any combat since we have established a peace with our surly neighbours some time ago. Nonetheless, I will be forced to rejoin our forces once they arrive in the marches and so will have little time to enjoy much rest from my exertions.

your most humble lord
Humph

Albert Duritz surveyed the Cologne country side with deep affection. This was his homeland and after ten years away he was coming home at last. As he looked upon his English wife and three year old son, mixed feelings of deep love and trepidation flooded up inside of him. He loved his wife deeply but feared how his father would handle his return. He was lost in reflection.......

It was a family tradition that the first born male should be sent to England at the age of 14. Ever since his great, great, great grandfather had befriended an English knight during the crusades the first born had been sent to England to be educated and learn to be a gentleman. This tradition ran down the line but was threatened by his father who did not like England or anything about it. Contrary to his forefathers he had hated his time in England and was determined to stop his son from going, only the intervention of Albert's grand father had made him allow Albert to go. Albert loved England when he arrived and took to it "like a duck to water", as his host Sir Joseph Duane chuckled merrily. Albert, being at the passionate age had fallen in love with the only child of his host, Harriet, and with the consent of Sir Joseph but not a word to his own father he married her upon his 18th Birthday. To this day his father did not know, perhaps his mother suspected but she had said nothing in her letters directly. After six years of happy marriage he was now going home to his ancesteral home with his wife and young son. And that was where the trouble would be.......

Snapped back to his current situation he thought of the letters he had received lately from his father, full of scorn and disgust at the unChristian policies of King Henry. His father did not approve of Christian kings fighting each other and was disgusted at the actions of the English. His letters got more and more hateful of them and he continually insisted his son cut short his visit and come home. How could Albert present his English wife and half English son to his father in the current climate? He released a sigh as the family moved steadily towards his home.

As the group pulled up in the courtyard of the Duritz family manor Albert was struck with dread at what may transpire. "Best you and young George wait in the carriage m'love, until I know if we're welcome." Harriet smiled and nodded, the tension visible in her body language as George played in her lap. He looked so serene and obvivious to what was going on around him that George was envious of the little lad and let out a longer sigh than before. Albert then dismounted and with a look back at his English family, headed into the house.

His mother broke down in tears at the sight of him, overcome with joy at her son's return but his father was rather aloof with his nearly unrecognisable son. "Rather English looking you've grown lad but never mind. A couple of years at home and you'll turn into a worthy heir to the family name." It was now that Albert cleared his throat and spoke, "Father and Mother, I've brought some people for you to meet." His father near exploded, "Not some prancing English noble friend I hope. They won't be welcome in this hearth!" "No father, not a nobleman. My wife, and my son........"

His father went pale and sank into his chair while his mother looked joyous before checking herself and remaining passive. Finally after a good minute his father spoke. "Albert, you are no longer my son. You are not welcome here nor will you ever be." The voice was quiet but carried to Albert without trouble and contained a touch of menace. "Leave this house and if you want to live a long life, never come back....." For all the expectation of just such an event Albert was still struck dumb by the words coming from his father. When he regained his will to speak he heard his own voice come out as a pale imitation of its normal self. "So be it...... good bye mother!" At this her mask of passivness burst and torn between pleading with her husband or trying to hold her son she collapsed in a heap. Albert turned on his heal and left.

In the courtyard Harriet sat stonefaced in the carriage, starring out the cabin towards the door. The sounds eminating from within told her what she had long feared, Albert and herself and babe, had been rejected and expelled from his family forever. When he appeared in the doorway he seems to have aged considerably from when he had entered just a few minutes previously. "What shall we do now?" she asked with dread dripping from every word. "Go home, to England" was Albert's weak reply. "Perhaps your father will employ me to look after his lands while he is away with Henry, perhaps I will go with him next summer but do not fear, god will protect our future." Through soft sobs Harriet wispered, "Oh Albert, I'm sorry, I......" "Don't worry, I'll live. Let us go and find lodgement before the sun's rays ebb."

Postscript:
Without a look back they departed and returned to England to Sir Joseph's lands. Here, Albert became the close confidant of his wife's father and came to manage his lands during the campaigning season. In the Summer of the Irish revolt however Albert joined Sir Joseph and together they left to join Henry and his forces gathering in Meath. Albert was Knighted for his actions during the campaign, proudly serving under the flag of King Henry. Just as he and Sir Joseph were heading for home a fiendish ambush by the Irish rebels waylaid and murdered Sir Joseph and Albert was lucky to escape with his life. He returned home to his wife, inheriting the lands of his father in law and began his life anew as a worthy English Knight.

Last edited:
Dead calm. Good, mused Davide Castoriano, Merchant of Venice. The state-owned gallea grossa "La Griffona" had furled her great lateen sails and the sailors had manned the oars - all 169 of them. They were rowing hard now, pushing the great galley into the confluent of the Solento, or the Solent as the Inglese called it.

The bosuns pipe suddenly called the rowers to cease as "La Griffona" passed between two great Genoese carracks who were slowly wallowing in the dead calm. As one the rowers of the port- and starboard sides retracted their oars and revealed their backsides to the Genoese!!! Funny how this uncouth rabble manning the galleys of "La Serenissima" were actually the backbone of the Venetian economy.

Again the bosun´s pipe called out and again the galley sprouted its oars, gained speed and left the Genoese in their wake. Still, the golden age of the galley was surely passing, Davide thought. The cost per ton of merchandise shipped was much lower for the carracks and armed with falconettos, basiliscos and even the great bombardos they were virtually impervious to pirate attack. In a calm day like this though they would have been sitting ducks had they chosen to challenge "La Griffona" - there was not much love lost between the Genoese and the Venetians and seizing each others ships when oppurtunity arose was not uncommon.

Davide didn´t much care if one Christian fought another. As a Jew of Venice he knew that his people´s welcome in the Republic went only as far as the ducats they provided for the priviliege of living in the "Ghettare", the former caster´s quarters now set aside for the Jews of Venice. Still, as even the Doge himself had been heard to say on occassion: "The Jews may smell, but their gold does not!".

And so Davide´s father, Isaac Castoriano, had bought cargo space on this "Galley of Flanders" (for after concluding their business in Southampton they would continue to the Low Countries) and filled it with bales of silks and velvets from Venice, Byzantium and the Moslem cities of the East, perfumes in the finest crystal of Murano, small crates of Indian spices and to top it all off casks of the finest Malmsey wine.

For it was now widely known that the English after decades of fighting had finally inflicted decisive defeat on the French and treasure flowed to the Court of King Henry in London. There was bound to be feasting, jousting, carousing - yes, every revelry known to Man. The Knights would adorn themselves and their steeds in silks and velvets, the ladies would be similarly adorned - wrapped in silk and bathed in perfume, the chefs would add exotic spices to the 66 course feasts and all, peasant and noble alike, would be roaringly drunk on the strong Malmsey of Candia.

If England intended to form an Empire, they would need the trappings of an Empire. And the Castorianos would be there to provide it. For a price…

15th Auguste 1422

My leeue brother,

I hope that my lettre findyth yow and oure parents well.

For myn parte, I am ycome to Egertonne, wher is the howse of my newe Maister, the Lorde Egertonne. Hee is an olde mann, and quik to anger. But, thankes, hys anger is for mooste deliuered upon Gyles, our cooke, who comyth her from Normandie.

My Lorde hath been these past monthes almost euer in passion with the Frenssh. Hys sonne was yslawe in Normandyey these fyfe summeres hence, and My Lord hath it still in hys minde. He sayth that His Majestye the Kynge moot claime the throne of Fraunce by force, and that "Frenssh shall neuere rule wher England ought".

He hath a meeting of the Priuye Coucnill in Dub Linn this month, and I haue hope that he will be willing to take me with him ther.

The howse at Egertonne is of pleasaunt aspect, on a hille aboue the Sterwaye Riuer. It hath large parkes and lyeth near a uillage also yclept Egertonne. Caunterbury lyeth some score myles hence, and His Majestye's Castle at Tonnebridge lyeth thirty myles in the other weye. We are hard by the Wald and the forrest ther. Our land is most to farm, but on the Wald are iren workings, wher his Majestye's armees are supplyd.

The othere seruing persons heer are kind and friendlye. My Lorde is old, and lyketh not to be waited upon, and his grandeson is yet fiue years olde, and hath not need of me as yette. I therfore hope for quiet and agreeable work in this place.

I shal send this to Maydestone with a boy, to leaue at the Golden Cross for John the farmer whenne he comes to market.

Your louynge brother

Richard.

Last edited:
Minutes of the Privy Council Meeting, August 20th, Anno Domini 1422

The meeting was held at Dublin Castle in Meath on a fine and warm summer’s day. In attendance, His Majesty King Henry V of England, attended by the lords Barkers, Sir Nicholas, the young Lord Clarendon, and the Earl of Egerton. Milords the Dukes of Bedford and Gloucester, although unable to attend in person, had already communicated their opinions to His Majesty via Royal Courier, and were represented at the meeting by their proxies.

His Majesty, valiantly disregarding the trifling ailment that has affected him somewhat of late, began by congratulating the Lords Martial of the realm on their progress against France. He expounded for a short while on the benefits that our victory over the pretender Charles would bring to England, and likewise the seizure from the peasant Irish of the larger part of their realm, estates within which are even now available for distribution among his noble lords.

His Majesty then invited the free and open exchange of opinion between the Lords of the Privy Council as to the most beneficial means of proceeding, both in England’s policy towards France and her remaining allies and on a wider basis with regard to our rapidly worsening relations with the rest of Christendom.

Milord Bedford, no doubt buoyed with his personal successes on the continent, advocated a continuation of the war with France as soon as our current treaty with them expires. Hi view was echoed by Milord Egerton, whose loss of a fine and noble son on the fields of France some years since still grieves him sore, and for whom we all share the deepest sympathy. The King reminded all that his claim on the French crown remains paramount, and stated that should an opportunity to defeat the French conclusively prove itself, it should indeed be taken.

However, in contrast, Milord Gloucester counseled restraint, and a period of reconciliation, seeking to repair the diplomatic damage that our victories have wrought, and bringing both our allies in Burgundy and our vassals in Brittany and most likely Eire as well, closer to us, with a view to perhaps seeking the eventual union of their domains with ours. The King agreed that the French claim on the Burgundian Duchy is still a worry – should anything happen to Philip the Good then Charles – or his successors - might seek to exploit the situation and so every means at our disposal should be used to strengthen the English counter-claim. Philip must be persuaded to name the Prince Henry heir to Burgundy as well as England, that the two realms might one day be as one.

Sir Nicholas spoke also of the need to seek more friends and expand our mercantile interests overseas as did Lord Clarendon. The young Lord also suggested a declaration of hostility towards the Moslem religion as a means of improving relations with Christendom. An idea to which his Most Catholic Majesty was not entirely averse.

And finally, on the subject of Scotland, it was agreed by all that a war fought to seize the Highlands from these most barbarous of England’s neighbours would be a costly one indeed and therefore should be avoided unless the Scots were to make an aggressive move against us. And in the case of the Eirinnish additions to the realm, it was generally felt that an influx of good English yeomen, whilst provoking local ire in the short-term, would provide a means of stabilizing the region in years to come.

Other matters were tabled and discussed which the King requested not to be written here.

The meeting adjourned with prayers for the health of His Majesty, Her Majesty and the Heir.

Last edited:
This brief document was found in a local auction in the south of Somerset a few months ago. It appears to be the diary of a Privy Council member during the Height of the French Subjugation. Its contents have intrigued hisorians the world over.

August 3rd, 1419

May God in Heaven preserve me for what I have seen. I have not had much chance to write recently, and when the time has become available, I have kept putting off the deed. I am not sure why, maybe it is because what I have seen should never be preserved. Maybe I will not be able to fully do justice to events these past few years.

This next passage is written in a different ink and appears to have been written in the greatest urgency

Decemeber 22nd, 1419

Milord Clarence has suffered his second defeat at the hands of the cowardly French. At this very moment, I write while our sorry army trudges back to safer grounds. Clarence himself seems to be good spirits, but he is alone in such elevation. Maybe it is because he has been given one last chance to test himself.

This heathen land sickens me to the core. First, my father dies, then I spend month after sorry month hunting for his killers, but no. And now the ground slips between blooy quagmires of filth and rock-like denseness. Truly this is a wretched country. But I digress, it is all this arduous travel that has made me so bitter.
Once we have gathered any reinforcements, I'm sure we will return and the filthy French whoremongerers will taste defeat.

This third entry is written in a third ink colour, though the quality is greatly lessened. No doubt this is due to the 'wound' suffered during the battle. It brings to light that not all the English Generals were succesful during the campaign.

July 1st, 1420

Success! Clarence is elevated! We met the whore-scum (most of whom we had fought before) outside Maine and, once brought to an honest battlefield, were crushed and driven away like the maggots they were! I, myself, fought in that almighty victory, fighting in the very thickest of the combats for hours, till I felt I could no longer lift my sword and that my eyes would shut and refuse to open.

But the day was not without its trials and tribulations, sadly, as many English souls were lost this day. I myself nearly joined them, were it not for the quick reflexes of my squire, who managed to deflect the arrow-bolt so that it hit my hand and not my heart. I must sign off now, as I have just recieved word that the King has already set sail for Ireland. God be praised, that we are finally achieving our God-given place in the world!

To my dear brother John

23rd September, in the year of our Lord, 1421.

There are rumours I have heard in court on which, if you are not already aware, I should inform you. It is a tale of politics, the most heinous and vile politics that you might imagine that could emerge from this righteous and god-fearing land. While we have fought long and hard, brother alongside brother, our fortunes have been most cynically and ruthlessly twisted at home by one whom we had hitherto considered an ally.

I speak of none more that the Lord Chancellor himself, Roger, Earl of March who, while we have toiled many a year in the ruined lands of France, has been secretly turning the ear of our brother, the king, to his own designs. How can this be? That the proud house of Plantagenet, at the very point of claiming for itself the rightful throne of France, should be brought down by a mere Earl of the house of York?

We have yet close friends in court and I can vouchsafe that my knowledge comes from a sound and trustworthy source. It appears that, while we were so fastidiously occupied in the submission of our enemy, the Earl of March took much time to mislead our brother. Taking such vantage as he could from the great victories in France, it was he who persuaded Harry to wage war in Ireland in a campaign where he contracted the illness which afflicts him to this day.

I pray you should keep this secret until we are able to speak to each other in private. But as your brother, I beg you to be wary lest you be led along a path of folly to the same evil fate.

Your most humble brother
Humphfrey

For God, the King and Saint George! – Episode 2 – The aftermath of the conquest of France

The Year of Our Lord, Anno Domini, 1422

Note to readers: Alas, due to a fire in the archives, much of my correspondence from overseas has been lost. Thus I am unable to comment effectively on the state of the rest of Christendom and beyond for the period August 1422 – December 1423. I shall endeavour to employ additional scribes to make copies of all such correspondence in the future…

August 1422

England basks in the warm glow of her victory over France and the conquest of the bulk of Eire. His Majesty is feted Meath where currently he holds court, and visited by several of his most loyal English Lords, eager to gain favour (and estates in Leinster, Munster and Connaught, no doubt).

On the 21st, following a meeting of the Privvy Council, his Majesty makes an effort to reassure the rest of Christendom that England does not intend to wage unlawful war against our brother Christian states. Indeed, His Majesty goes so far as to make a decree of intolerance towards Moslems, whilst announcing that henceforth England shall be a true haven for all Catholics and indeed those of the Orthodox faith shall also be more welcome on these shores than once they were. During the course of his speech, His Majesty was troubled somewhat by a bout of coughing, but he was quick to assure all present that it is but a trifling ailment.

Alas, though, that His Majesty was to keep from those who loved him best the true extent of his infirmity. We had suspected for some time that the warrior King of England was not in the best of health, but his refusal to allow the chirurgeons and alchemists to treat him for anything more serious than a common cold was, although noble, to be the undoing of him.

On the 30th August, King Henry V of England died of the wracking fever and a most inhospitable imbalance of the humours, and England was plunged into the very deepest mourning.

The Heir was immediately proclaimed King Henry VI, and in accordance with his late Majesty’s wishes, his Grace the Duke of Bedford and my own humble self were named principle Regents in the infant King’s name, to be guided as ever in all things by the wisdom of the Privy Council. Milord Bedford was to be given overall command of the troops currently serving in France. We shall endeavour to guide the country until King Henry’s advancing years should bring him the wisdom to rule alone, and shall pursue the young King’s father’s dearest wish – that the French crown should be united with that of England.

September 1422

Having discussed the matter with the Privy Council, it is decided to begin sending hardy English yeomen to the rugged hills and fertile valleys of Meath, there to stamp the English influence ever more indelibly on the Irish countryside.

We also appoint a Tax Collector in Anglia to oversee the effective management of His Majesty’s revenues.

October 1422

We suffer a rebellion of some 9,000 ex-French soldiery and peasant in Nivernais. Milord Clarence marches at one from Orleanais with his own force of equal number and inflicts incisive defeat upon the rebels.

November 1422

It is with great joy that we are able to announce the Royal Marriage of two of England’s finest Lords to princesses of two of our newest continental neighbours. Milord Bedford takes to wife the lady Helena of Savoy, thereby bringing closer our Swiss neighbours. Meanwhile, Milord Gloucester is wed to Anne of Lorraine, thus bringing that particular Duchy within our sphere of influence. All England wishes them every joy of their respective unions.

Further settlers are sent to Meath.

December 1422

Another Royal Marriage, this time that of the Duke of Clarence to the lady Maria-Teresa of Castille. A Union that, we are sure, will forge ever-stronger links between ourselves and the rising power in Iberia.

A year of mixed triumph and tragedy, but overall one of great success for England.

The Year of Our Lord, Anno Domini, 1423.

January – February 1423

We raised some 258 ducats in annual revenues this year. A handsome sum.

Tax Collectors were appointed in the Midlands and Lancashire, and another party of settlers dispatched to Meath, as part of the further economic development of the realm.

It was also around this time, I believe, that the pugilistic Navarrese were brought to heel by the forces of Aragon, and the province of Bearn surrendered. A part of France, Bearn, and therefore subject to King Henry’s claim, I believe. A possible source of conflict with Aragon in the future, in any case.

March – June 1423

A quiet period, save for a minor rebellion of some 2,000 Irish peasants in Munster, quickly dealt with by the most able Colonel Harcourt.

We also offered a loan of 21 ducats to our loyal vassals in Brittany as a means of assisting their re-arming following the French campaign. It would not do for our vassals to fall to a foreign aggressor. They accept, most gratefully.

May is a quiet month, and little happens in June save the sending of more settlers to Meath.

July – December 1423

The Good Government Policies that have been enacted by the Privy Council in the young King’s name are recognised in July as the merchants redouble their efforts to improve our trade practices and general infrastructure. The stability of the nation, were it not already as steady as the rocks of Dover, would surely have been improved by such measures.

November is a slightly bleaker month as Nivernais rises in rebellion once again. This time, Clarence has been reinforced, and so returns with a force of some 16,000 to crush the rebels. He is victorious, naturally.

The Year of Our Lord, Anno Domini, 1424.

January 1424

Once again a bumper tax harvest – some 275 ducats.

In order to improve our financial position further still, Tax Collectors are raised in Lincoln, Bristol and Yorkshire. Another party of settlers is sent to Meath, whose population has now risen to a most healthy 1,800 souls, or thereabouts.

The Mediterranean became a hotbed of conflict: Serbia (Moldavia, Wallachia – Knights dishonoured) declared against her neighbour in Bosnia (Ragusa); Austria (Hungary, Luxembourgh, Siebenburgen, Croatia) went to war with Helvetia (Savoy, Genoa) and the rising Ottoman Empire declared war on the waning Byzantines (Trebizond).

February – June 1424

The only event of note domestic note during this period was the joyous Royal Marriage of the lady Margaret of York, my own niece I might add with just a touch of pride, to the nephew of the Doge of Venice. A union that will bring long-term benefits in terms of our relationship with that Mediterranean power, or so we must hope.

Overseas, conflict both raged and ranged far and wide. Venice joined the Bosnian alliance and therefore went to war with Serbia shortly before our own Royal Marriage agreement with them and Karaman (Teke) went to war with Dulkadir.

Scotland suffered some internal turmoil as their King was first captured and then ransomed, and a purging of the Highland Chiefs followed hard after. Anything which adversely affects the northern barbarians is a boon to England, although I must stress that we played no part whatsoever in that particular drama.

July - December 1424

Leinster rose against our benevolent rule in July and once again Harcourt was swift to teach the rebels the error of their ways.

In August we offered Eire the chance to join our alliance and forge closer links between our nations, but they refused. I fear that Ulster will once again become the target of Scots aggression, but if the proud Irish refuse to shelter beneath our shield then what more can we do?

Towards the end of the year, we appointed additional Tax Collectors, in Wales and Northumberland, once it became apparent there was little likelihood of any additional drain on the treasury until the new financial year.

Meanwhile elsewhere, various realms signed trade agreements with each other, and a couple of minor Dutch and German principalities were joined in Royal Marriage. Prussia settled its feud with Poland by paying a trifling sum in indemnities. Little else of note occurred.

The Year of Our Lord, Anno Domini, 1425.

January – December 1425

Another increase in our tax revenues this year; to 281 ducats, as we feel the benefit of our recent official appointments.

The early part of the month brings another joyous Royal Marriage, between another of my nieces, the fair Lady Elizabeth of York, and a junior prince of the Hapsburg dynasty of Austria. Our relations with Austria are improved as a result, although they still look on us with suspicion. I
Only hope that dear, sweet Elizabeth will be happy in her new Alpine home, once it is safe for her to make the journey via Venice of course.

We also send letters of Introduction to both Savoy and Lorraine, reporting on the continuing good health of the ladies Helena and Anne. This helps to improve our relationship with the two states, but only slightly.

The rest of the year is peaceful at home. The town of Dublin will soon be o’erflowing its walls, we fear, as another 300 hardy English folk make the trip across the Irish sea to settle there through the course of the year.

The only thing that mars the ongoing serenity is a short-lived rebellion of 3,000 peasants in Connaught. Unfortunately the valiant Harcourt is slain in the course of suppressing the uprising, and so a replacement officer must be appointed.

Elsewhere, Venice bought off Croatia in February for a trifling five ducats, then shortly afterwards Bosnia was defeated and annexed by her Serbian neighbours. Vassily II rose to the throne of Muscowy, and then in May their neighbours Tver and Novgorod settled their differences, with the province of Karelia going to Tver.

In July an Imperial anointment saw Iohannes VIII crowned the new Emperor of that smallest of Empires. In August, Austria, swamped by Helvetian troops and in fear for their borders, paid the Swiss some 200 ducats to pack up their sieges and go home. Later in the month Tver, buoyed no doubt by their victory over Novgorod, cancelled their vassalisation with Muscowy. Not what Vassily II would have wished for, we expect. In September, Serbia bought off the Ragusans to bring their war to an end. In the same month, Aragon took the province of Gibraltar from the Moors of Granada and made vassals of their remaining province. A great victory for Christendom! And at the end of the month, the state of Trebizond was annexed by their neighbours in Georgia as the Orthodox Christians sought to strengthen themselves against their predatory Islamic foes to the south.

War came to northern Italy in November as Milan (Mantua) declared against Modena (Tuscany, Duchy of Athens, Papal States, Siena) and then in December Albania (Naples, Aragon) also declares against Modena and her allies.

The Year of Our Lord, Anno Domini, 1426.

January – March 1426

282 Ducats were raised in taxation and our masons report that improvements in their building techniques have led to the possibility of our developing better fortresses. We immediately commission two such reinforcements, in Anglia, to protect the young King, and in Northumberland, to guard against the predatory Scots, although it drains the treasury considerably to do so.

All is then peaceful, both at home and abroad, until we are called upon to support our Burgundian allies in a war which they have decided to wage upon the Duchy of Gelre and their allies in Friesland. We do so, although with reservations, and whilst we toy with the idea of sending Beauchamp north to extort damages from either Dutch state, we eventually decide to err on the side of caution, and so will support Philip the Good for the sake of preserving the alliance, solely.

April – July 1426

The fickle French in Maine rise up against our rule in April and seize the fortress. Once again Clarence is called upon to restore the King’s law to these lawless upstarts. His force of 15,000 should be more than enough to handle the 4,000 rebels, but Alas! Once again, the treacherous field of Maine proves Clarence’s undoing. A sudden spring storm and the army becomes bogged down, and it is under the cover of the lashing rain that the rebels attack Clarence’s camp, burning supply wagons and forcing a hasty battle, followed by an ignominious retreat. We consider sending Beauchamp to do Clarence’s work for him, but decide that to humiliate the lord Duke so would not be wise. He will be given another opportunity to prove his mettle once his men have recovered their faith in his leadership.

Brittany repays our loan, promptly in May, but politely declines the extension of further credit, albeit at a slightly higher rate of interest. Word arrives from Iberia that Portugal has declared against the Moroccans and will fight them for control of Fez, and from Greece that the province of Morea has been surrendered to the Ottomans by Iohannes VIII of Byzantium. A grim development.

All is then quiet until the 9th of July, when word arrives that what I feared has indeed come to pass – Scotland has declared war on our vassals in Eire.

This is grave news indeed, and will require much discussion in Privy Council session. We fear that we cannot wait o’er long for am consultation to return from Milord Bedford, and although his general opinion is well know to me, it seems that I must decide what England shall do. The situation is thus:

Scotland has been supported in her war by the Duc de Provence, but has been abandoned by her former allies of France, Bourbonnais, Auvergne and Ukraine. Should England strike against Scotland now, it might serve to drive a deeper wedge between the Scots and French. Our truce with them has expired, and our Casus Belli against them is eternal. On a different note, I believe we should be seen to support our vassals and protect them against foreign aggression. The only worrying thought is that should the Scots invade the north they might disrupt work on the new fortifications in Northumberland, but then Milord Gloucester is on hand and will surely be able to repel them.

The Privy Council session has been called and its members are adjourning even as I write this. I shall join them, discuss the issue at hand and then make my report.

Last edited:
Addendum to The Year of Our Lord, Anno Domini, 1422-23

Joyous news milords! Our noble colleague Sir Nicholas has provided us with an account from his own accounting house of the major events of the period missing from the official records of the Lord Chancellor. I shall now make good my previous omissions with the following summary as to the activities of our brothers in Christendom. To whit:

August - December 1422

In September, Brandenburg entered the Polish alliance and thereby also the wars against the Teutonic Order and Ryazan. In the east, Wallachia and Serbia grew closer with a Royal Marriage between their houses.

January - December 1423

In February Venice bought out of the war with Austria at a price of 44 ducats; the Russian realm of Novgorod surrendered the provinces of Kola and Archangelsk to neighbouring Suzdal; and the Teutonic Order bought off their Swedish oppressors for 23 ducats.

In March, there was some scandal in the court of Burgundy involving the reputations of our own Duke of Gloucester and the Countess of Hainaut. The news did not reach these shores, I can assure you - I must ask Milord Gloucester what transpired here between himself and the lady Eleanor of Hainaut, who I understood to have been living in London until recently...

Castile was satisfied with a 50 ducat indemnity payment from Granada in April and in August the Duchy of Holstein managed to extort some 200 ducats from their Danish neighbours in order to end their feud. Fez was defeated by Portugal in September and surrendered both Tangiers and her independence, agreeing to become a Portuguese vassal. Georgia declared war on Trebizond (Byzantium - Venice dishonoured) in November, which explains the later annexation...

And that, my lords, concludes the summary of the missing information. My apologies once more for the lapse. Extra scribes have been hired to ensure that the problem does not happen again.

Last edited:
"And who might you be?"

"Oh, sorry! This is my first time here..." the guard gave the newcomer a harsh stare. Visibly nervous, the newcomer said, "I am Lord Robert, the new Earl of Cornwall. I was asked here by His Majesty to serve as a member of the Privy Council."

The guard grunted. "Hmm. I've heard as much. If I may inspect your papers..."

"What? Oh, yes, here they are." After a little fumbling, Lord Robert managed to open the scrolls proving his lineage, ownership of his title, and his right to serve on the Council.

"Hmm. Everything seems to be in order..." the guard said grudgingly.

Thanking the guard profusely, the new Earl of Cornwall entered the castle.

‘I shall have to demand full payment up front’, said the merchant. He had recently arrived in London to see Sir Nicholas. Sir Nicholas was in the process of negotiating a deal about importing a large party of Burgundian wine from Flanders. The merchant, however, seemed intent on not letting the good Sir Nicholas get away with the usual half the payment up front.

- ‘How can I trust that you will bring me my shipment if I give you all the money up front?’, Sir Nicholas said suspiciously.
- You have my word’
- ‘And what worth is the word of a merchant sailor?’, Sir Nicholas sarcastically spit out.
- 'About the same value as the word of an Englishman, I suspect’, the merchant replied, before exiting Sir Nicholas’ London office.

Sir Nicholas sat there, dumbstruck, for a few moments. Was his word worth nothing? Although he himself had done little, if anything, to add to the glory of his family name, a name that had shone so brightly during Richard Lionheart’s campaign against Saladin at Acre, he was still nobility. How dared a commoner, a Flemish commoner, speak to him in such a way?

Although a man of unstable temper, Sir Nicholas rarely if ever acted upon his bad temper, else than smacking and flogging the odd servant. He therefore shuffled from his office down to the docks to contract the assistance of an English captain willing to sail to Flanders.

Sir Nicholas comforted himself with the fact that he had recently established contact with a Venetian Jew, Davide Castoriano. Dealings with this Venetian could prove to be lucrative. Very lucrative indeed. And if they failed, all blame could be placed upon the Jew.