• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(3408)

Field Marshal
Apr 26, 2001
www.freedomhouse.org
What follows is a different kind of AAR.

It is not told from a global perspective or with many facts and figures. In fact, many of those facts are intentionally left out. Instead it is told from the perspective of a single soldier in the form of letters home from the front. He writes what he sees, hears, and experiences.

It is a time of Revolution and War. Our hero, Jonathon Branch, has enlisted in the Continental Army under the command of Gen. Washington. He does not know what to expect, or how his lot will end.

For the purposes of this AAR, I will consider that he is the hardiest (more likely the “luckiest”;)) soldier in the army. If the Continental army is whipped out, then our hero will be considered dead and the AAR will end with him. However, if but one man should survive, our hero will be considered that single man and the AAR will continue until the Rebellion is victorious, or the American spirit is crushed under the boot of the English tyrant, King George III.

January 30, 1773
Dear Father,

I am sorry that I have not written sooner. The entire city of Boston is in a frenzy. Both I and my good friend Thomas and I have enlisted in the Continental Army under Gen. Washington. Can’t say that I have seen much of the Gen. or any Redcoats. However, it is still Winter and talk is that there won’t be any real fighting until Spring. Our numbers grow all of the time. All told we now count for 19,000 infantry and 6,000 cavalry.

The call of “Freedom” has been answered by men from all over the colonies. There are even stories that Gen. Gates has found an early victory down into the South. Other than that we spend out time in close order drill, learning to fire by ranks, and march. I will write more when I have a chance. Give my best to Mother.

Your Son,

Jonathon Branch….

April 16
Dear Father,

I don’t have much time to write now. We are about to break camp and make way towards New York. The Redcoats have crossed over from Canada. Scuttlebutt around camp says that we are going to kindly show them out. Or not so kindly if it comes to that. With all this sitting around, I almost am glad to be on the move.

The weather is so beautiful and my boots are new. Tell everyone I say hello.

Your Son,

Jonathon Branch….

I like the concept...

...and the new set of boots. I get the feeling that they'll be well worn by the end of the campaign.:

September 1773
Dear Father,

I write under nothing but a rainy sky and my soaking coat. Do not believe what you read, the war does not go well. Our first engagement with the English at Sebago was a disaster. While the Cavalry charged bravely, the poorly trained recruits broke ranks under the withering fire of the English guns. My friend Thomas was killed in the first exchange. Half of our infantry were lost.

The Redcoats then chased us to Connecticut where we lost a rear guard action in our retreat to New York. Again at New York they launched a furious assault and quickly broke our demoralized ranks. We retreat to the West now. Although the Redcoats appear to no longer follow us…instead heading South. I hear stories that many of the colonies have been taken unopposed by the British. It does not lift our spirits.

Gen. Washington does all he can to keep our spirits high. However, it is a hard task when all we have known so far is loss and death and hardship. This Revolution of ours may not survive.

Pray for me Father,

Jonathon Branch….

January 1774
Happy new year Father,

Thank you so much for your letters. We are wintered in Chesapeake and it seems that the mail has finally caught up with us. A group from my company have been billeted in a farmhouse where it is possible to stay warm and the family is generous. They are true believers in the cause of freedom and happy to share with us what they can.

Your Christmas stories lifted my heart. Their happy spirit goes well with my news: we have won our first victory! It was a small battle against a detachment of English horse. While we had them outnumbered 10 to 1, a victory is still a victory. None of the English were left when the smoke cleared. I doubt this engagement will swing the tide of this war, but it something to take hope in.

There is news that Gen. Gates has defeated the remnants of the Natives down south, and will be turning north to join our force. Come Spring, we may have the English on the run!

Love,

Your Son Jonathon Branch…

its a good thing thats yours is a short scenerio, otherwise i fear that this AAR would be very long due to the number of posts neccesarry. This reminds me of the Diary of Joseph Plumb Martin... if your interested in the REvolution, its a great read.

[Date smuged and unreadable] 1774
Dear Father,

I have no time to write as we are breaking camp in haste. The Continental Congress, has voted to raise a professional army. 40,000 men and horse and cannon await us in New York! This is great news to us on the boot, as we know that our armies have worn thin. So we now make all haste to return North and join the fresh troops.

The Lord has answered many a soldier’s prayer. Give my love to Mother.

Your son,

Jonathon Branch

This is really good,...it gets a bit booring to read AAR after AAR where someone conquers lost of provinces.....this gives a very nice different perspektive. I especially like those small out-of-game remarks about the new boots and how Thomas was killed and spending winter in the farmhouse....small things which u could expect in a real letter! :)

keep it up!