• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(7261)

Corporal
Jan 11, 2002
"Tell me a story, Grandpapa," the young boy said. He was laying on his bed. Grandpapa had just walked in when the boy spoke.

"What kind of story tonight?" he asked, rummaging through the boy's meager collection of stories. "Pirates? Dinosaurs? Monsters?"

"Read me this one." The boy pulled a book from under his pillow. Its dusty cover was a faint shade of red, with a small insignia on the bottom and the word "d'Armor" in the middle.

Grandpapa grasped the book and looked it over. He opened it, and a small cloud of dust floated into the air. The binding has all but stopped holding the pages together. Grandpapa leafed through the first few pages.

"I don't think you want to listen to this," the old man said. "It's not what we normally read."

"I don't care. The cover makes it look interesting." The boy squirmed as he tried to get comfortable.

"Ah, but have you forgotten the old adage 'don't judge a book by its cover'?" the old man said as he sat on the edge of the bed. He knows he won't win this fight, but more than once has he had to stop telling a story because of the child's disinterest.

"I haven't. Please, Grandpapa, read it to me. And show me the pictures!"

"Very well." The old man turned to the first page and read aloud d'Armor, by Guy IV de Bretencourt.

Chapter One:

i4_0059.jpg

A woman's screams echoed through the castle corridors. She lay in her bed, in immense pain. Clad in little more than her slip, the woman squeezed with all her might, for she was giving birth. Her name was Jeanne, wife of Guillaume Comte d'Armor.

Jeanne was born to unimportant nobles, Philippe II Seigneur de Conlie and his wife, Isabelle. The Comtesse's marriage to Guillaume was merely a political union, in an effort for the Seigneur to gain more respect from the neighboring lords. She was not unhappy, and enjoyed the attention she received from the servants, but Jeanne wanted more.

That was until today. She was bringing into this world her first child, and, despite the pain she endured, Jeanne was looking forward to raising her child as a good and upstanding Christian and noble.

The woman's screams faded as the sound of a baby's crying replaced it. The maidservant who had assisted Jeanne washed the child and presented it to the Comtesse.

"Your child is quite healthy, my Lady," the maidservant said. "He will grow up to be a fine gentleman."

"Thank you, Marie," Jeanne said, taking the child into her hands.

"Have you decided on a name, my Lady?" Marie asked.

"I shall call him Guillaume, after his father," she responded. The Comte was not present, for he was busy fulfilling his feudal duties to the Duc de Bretagne.

Grandpapa finished the paragraph and looked over at the young boy, finding him asleep. He was barely into the first chapter, but decided against reading ahead. He closed the book and placed it on the boy's nightstand.

Turning off the light, Grandpapa walked into the hallway and closed the door behind him.

The following night, Grandpapa again entered the young boy's bedroom, who was waiting patiently for him to return. The boy smiled and grabbed the book from the nightstand.

"Please, Grandpapa, go on," the child said.

"Will you try to stay awake longer than last night?" he asked, taking the book from the boy's hands.

"I promise, Grandpapa." The boy settled into his bed.

Grandpapa sat down and opened to the page he stopped on last night.

Guillaume, the third Comte d'Armor, inherited the lands of his father, Louis II, at the age of twelve. Louis' wife, Catherine, ruled the county as regent for three years, until Guillaume reached majority. The new Comte remained loyal to his mother until her death a few months later.

Guillaume, the last of his family's line, decided it was necessary to secure a bride to protect his titles. He searched long and hard and found Jeanne in a small Angevin feif.

They were married within the year. Guillaume was waiting patiently for his new child, but was unable to stay, for he was called upon by his lord, Jean VI Duc de Bretagne.

Guillaume arrived at the Duc's estates in Morbihan on a cold night in December of 1418. The castle was large, suitable even for the Kings of England and France.

i4_0052.jpg

Guillaume entered the main reception hall of the castle, where he was greeted by a servant.

"Greetings, my Lord," the servant said. "I shall inform His Lordship of your arrival." He scampered off into the dark recesses of the castle, while Guillaume stood, waiting patiently.

After a long wait, Jean VI arrived. Guillaume bowed graciously.

"My Lord, I am here, as you have called," the Comte said. He stood back up.

"I am glad you have arrived, Comte," the Duc began. "I trust you have informed your vassals of this meeting?"

"I have, my Lord. The Lords and Barons sent a missive telling me they should arrive within a few days." Guillaume pulled his gloves from his hands.

"Excellent. Comte d'Armor, please follow me." Jean led Guillaume into a large dining hall. A small group of people were seated at the front, talking amongst themselves.

i2_0042b.jpg

When the Duc neared the table, the gathered nobles stood up.

"Comte d'Armor," Jean said as he turned to Guillaume, "may I present Thomas de Bohun, emissary from the English royal court." He pointed graciously to the ambassador.

"My Lord." Guillaume bowed his head slightly to the right. Thomas acknowledged.

"This," the Duc pointed to a small, frail man, "is Edward, fifth Lord of Weymouth and retainer of Lord de Bohun."

"Do not judge him by his appearance, Count," Thomas interjected. "He knows more about warfare than any of us will ever know."

Guillaume greeted Edward, who returned the favor.

"And this," the Duc pointed to a slender man, "is Jean-Baptiste, Comte de Franche-Comte, emissary of Philippe Duc de Bourgogne."

"Warmest greetings, my Lord," Jean-Baptiste said.

"Likewise." Guillaume bowed his head again.

The Duc introduced a few of his vassals, including Guy VIII Baron de Vitre, Guillaume II Lord de Morlaix, and Pierre Siegneur de Perros-Guirec.

"Shall we begin?" Lord de Bohun asked.

"If it pleases my Lords, we shall," the Duc de Bretagne answered.

"Very well." Thomas cleared his throat. "As I'm sure you're aware, England is on the verge of war with her hated enemy, France. The Duc d'Orleans, the Duc de Bourbonnais, the Comte de Provence, and the Duc d'Auvergne have all expressed solemn support to the pretender Roi du France. The Scotts have stepped up raids along our border, and the King grows impatient.

"He has summoned this meeting to help devise a war plan, in the event conflict does again arise, despite it being so close after the crushing victory at Agincourt."

Lord Weymouth spoke up. "We know the royal French forces are divided into two main divisions: one defending Paris and one defending the south of France. The various vassals of the Roi also have a standing army of 5000 to 10000 each. The King has suggested a four-front attack, which I heartily approve.

"The English army defending the Aquitaine shall move east into southern France. An army that has recently landed in Normandy, led by the King himself, is destined for Orleans, then Paris. An army in Northumbria is destined for Edinburgh."

Jean-Baptiste stood up. "The Duc has pledged that his armies will move south from his Dutch possessions and west from his Burgundian possessions. We shall force the French into a weak position and dictate terms."

"What about our forces?" the Duc of Bretagne asked.

"You shall move into Maine and disrupt the French lines of communication," the Lord de Bohun said.

"As you wish," the Duc replied.

And so the meeting was over, and everyone retired for the night.

"Grandpapa, why did you stop?" the young boy asked.

"That was the end of the chapter," he replied. "I will continue reading this to you tomorrow night. Now," the old man stood up, "get some sleep." He placed the book on the nightstand and turned the light off.

"Goodnight, Grandpapa," the boy said.

"Goodnight." Grandpapa walked into the hallway and closed the door behind him.

Excellent. Nice story-telling, great dialogue, nice "hook" with grandpapa and the child. I'll be happily following along as this one develops.

Sharur: The boy did fall asleep rather fast, didn't he :) Perhaps he was busy that day....

I have no real plans for the Dukes, other than maintain strong relations with England and whatever allies they may have and try to gain my spoils of war through them. That, and prevent France from stealing my original territory.

Wasa: Thank you.

HJ Tulp: :)

MrT: Thanks.

"Grandpapa," the boy said, "what is a vassal?"

"Hmm," the old man answered, reaching for the dusty book. "Let me thnk. In the Middle Ages, certain people pledged loyalty to more powerful ones. This chain went all the way up to the most powerful of people, the Kings. This idea is called feudalism. The people who pledged loyalty to the more powerful people were called vassals, because they were bound by honor to assist their superiors in any possible manner."

"Is Duke Dee Bretane a vassal?" the boy asked.

"I don't know. Perhaps the story will tell us." Grandpapa opened the book to the next chapter.

Chapter Two:

Days passed. Guillaume's vassals arrived and were appraised of the situation. Soon, as had been predicted, a new war began. Almost immediately, the Duc de Bretagne ordered his army into neighboring Maine. He called forth a feudal levy in Morbihan and Armor.

The Armee Bretagne, as the Duc's army was called, was a sizeable force of about two thousand knights and eight thousand men-at-arms. They marched slowly and methodically, much to the applause of the peasantry.

Guillaume Comte d'Armor accompanied the army, per the request of the Duc. Guy VII Baron de Vitre, Guillaume II Lord de Morlaix, Pierre Seignuer de Perros-Guirec, and a number of the Comte's vassals were also ordered to join.

Nearing the Maine border, the Commander of the Armee Bretagne decided to encamp for a few days. Soon, the men-at-arms were talking loudly, playing games, and patronizing the local alehouses. For the knights, the local lord convened a special jousting tournament. Guillaume entered the competition. A total of sixteen knights joined.

i3_0077.jpg

The rules of the joust were simple: whoever had the most points after three rounds would be deemed the winner and move on in the tournament. If, at any time, a knight fell from his horse, he would be immediately disqualified, and his opponent would be declared the winner. One point was received for a strike on the chest, two for a strike on the head.

The first joust was between Pierre Seigneur de Perros-Guirec and an unlanded knight named Jean. In the first round, Jean struck a devastating blow to Pierre's head, scoring two points. Pierre was unable to strike Jean. In the second round, Jean struck Pierre's body, scoring one point, while Pierre was able to strike Jean's body, scoring one point. In the final round, Pierre struck a strong blow to Jean's body, which caused him to become unseated. By default, Pierre was declared the winner, and moved on to the next segment of the tournament.

Two more jousts occurred, and two landless knights victored.

The fourth joust was between Guillaume Comte d'Armor and Guy VIII Baron de Vitre. The first pass was all that was necessary for a winner to be determined. Guillaume had thrust his lance deep into Guy's chest, unseating him easily.

The next four jousts saw the victories of Guillaume II Lord de Morlaix and three landless knights.

The second segment of the tournament began on the following morning. The first joust of the day occurred between Guillaume II Lord de Morlaix and an unlanded knight named Eduard. In the first round, Guillaume struck a blow on Eduard's head, scoring two points. The second pass was a draw, for neither side attempted to strike the other. Eduard then withdrew, claiming injury. Guillaume was declared the winner and moved to the semi-finals.

The second joust was between Pierre and another unlanded knight named Eduard. After three rounds, Pierre victored with a score of six to two.

The third joust was between the Comte d'Armor and a knight named Robert. In the first round, Robert tagged Guillaume's chest, scoring one point, while Guillaume missed. In the second round, Guillaume struck Robert's head, scoring two points, while Robert again struck Guillaume's chest. In the final round, Guillaume again struck Robert's head, while Robert missed. Guillaume was declared the victor and moved on to the semi-finals.

The final joust was between two landless knights: Louis and Philippe. Louis won in two rounds after unseating Philippe.

After the midday meal, the semi-finals were held, pitting Pierre and de Morlaix against each other and Louis and d'Armor.

The crowds were heavy, watching the two jousts, which would determine the two combatants in the finals.

Grandpapa looked over at the young boy, who had shut his eyes. He closed the book and placed it on the nightstand. Turning to the door, he heard the boy.

"Goodnight, Grandpapa," the child said.

"Goodnight." The old man closed the door behind him.

Sharur: "Always expect the unexpected...." :D

HJ: If he does, then no more story :(

It'll be a few days before I post more of the story, as I am going to be out of town and thus away from my computer (and notes) until late Sunday.