• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
May 22, 2007
Alexios Komnenos yawned a long, comfortable yawn and sat back in his chair. The soft patter of rain against the window and the cool stones on his bare feet served to relax him further. A perfect day..., Alexios sighed.

The Emperor closed his eyes and leaned back further. This day had been just what he needed. Though only thirty-seven, he felt much older, a consequence of his constant efforts to heal the wounds his extravagant father had inflicted on the Empire. Not to mention the constant pressure from the Bulgarians or the Turkish tribes or-

No, stop it! Not today, Alexios admonished himself. He had declared today to be a governmental holiday, hoping to rest his overworked ministers, not to mention himself.

Forcing himself to relax, the Emperor had just begun to picture a meeting with the basilissa when an insistent knocking came to the door.

"God damn it.." Alexios muttered under his breath, then spoke "Enter". The Emperor stood to face the entrance, as the logothetes tou dromou entered and bowed before him.

"Rise, Isaac Angelos. What matter is urgent enough for you to come before me today?" spoke the Emperor, a bit more forcefully than would be proper.

"Forgive me, my lord. I bear a message from the Albanians, personally addressed to you."

The Emperor scowled viciously. "What do those scum want?" The Albanians had been one of the nations to gain from the Empire's instability in the mid-1300s, attacking and annexing the region of Epirus. As such, they were a constant thorn in the Emperors' sides.

Isaac read the letter, conveying it to his sovereign.. "My lord, they... they seem to desire conflict. They have called into question your parentage...repeatedly, as well as asserting your cowardice and the weakness of your rule." The diplomat stepped backwards at the anger clear on the Emperor's face. Alexios' fits of rage were common knowledge and the diplomat did not want to become a victim of one.

Alexios snarled. "The impudent fools. Well then, if they desire a war, they will have one. Isaac, inform my sons and call General Iakobos Barys to Adrianople. We march on Albania!" he bellowed.

Isaac bowed deeply. "As you command, my lord." The diplomat turned and strode quickly from the room, his face unreadable. Barking buffoon...

This is my first AAR, I hope y'all like it. I'm playing as the Byzantine Empire in the Interregnum mod, which premises that (among many other things), Constantinople never fell to the Fourth Crusade. I'll flesh out the history in a later update.

Difficulty is Normal/Weakling, and all the extra events have been turned on.

Hmm... Interregnum... I think I tried that one a while back. It was a fairly interesting mod, although I didn't play w/ it enough to get a good feel for it. Hope to see more chapters in the near future :)

Soft moonlight filtered through the windows as Isaac Angelos strode purposefully through a hall of the Grand Palace. The diplomat kept his face neutral though his heart raced. Treachery was nothing new to Constantinople, yes, but to meet inside the palace itself? He must be mad… Isaac thought to himself as he arrived at the door. His first knock was answered immediately as Alexander Komnenus, the second son of the Emperor, opened the door.

“Isaac, my friend, I trust you traveled well?”

Recognizing the code, the diplomat responded, “I fear I may have injured a toe, my lord.”

“Ah, a toe shall heal. Please come in.” Alexander stepped back and closed the door once the –diplomat- has entered. “You may speak freely here, Isaac. The palace guards shan’t patrol here for several minutes. I trust this won’t take longer than that?” he questioned.

“No, my lord. Indeed, I have good news for you. Your father has taken much of the army with him and those that remain are disgruntled over the increased drilling the Emperor has instituted recently. I believe they will stand aside when the time comes.”

Alexander nodded. “And the Albanians…”

“have been informed of the composition and location of the army. They have prepared a trap near the major passes leading to Durres. The Albanians will force a rout and kill the Emperor in the confusion.” Isaac shifted nervously, hoping to finish as quickly as possible. “If I may inquire sir, what of your brothers?”

Alexander smiled cruelly. “Ioannes is a mere scholar. If he attempts to deny me my rightful place, I will kill him. Surely, he will prefer a sightless monastic life to that. As for Dauid, he is far too young to gain any support against me. For his sake, he should hope so.”

The diplomat bowed. “Very well, sir. By your leave…?” Alexander nodded.

As Isaac turned to leave, the younger man lunged at him, choking him with his forearm. “My- my lord?!” Isaac coughed.

“You are too unreliable to serve me, Isaac…” Alexander whispered. Swiftly, he drew the diplomat’s blade and slashed the older man’s throat. As he crumpled, Alexander grinned. Bringing the blade up, he stabbed himself deep in the thigh.

Yanking the dagger from his leg and throwing it down, Alexander stumbled towards the door, flinging it open and falling at the feet of a very surprised palace guard.

“Help…me…” Alexander gasped before the pain blacked out his world.

The guard sounded the alarm. “Bring the doctor! The Kaiser has been attacked!”

I must say I like this and I shall read this AAR. I've tried to play Interregnum, bu too much playing Aberration made it a bit boring to me - never got past the first 100 years... And, the ERE is a great nation definitely (yeah, I'm one of those 'Byzantophiles' of a kind ;) ).
Good luck with this. I hope the updates would come a bit more frequently.