• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(4063)

Private
May 26, 2001
Visit site
Portugal 1419. The Portuguese are in a weak state next to the might of Castille. In midst of a war with the North African Moslem states Portugal has its hands tied. Time to start mixing things up a bit. First order of business is establishing an alliance. My skilled diplomat convinces Aragon to join in a Portuguese led alliance. This is excellent news. If all goes according to plan, I can attack Castille from the West, and Aragon the East. If all goes according to plan. I begin to build an army in Oporto, so I can have an additional army in the Spanish peninsula besides the one led my general Pereira. On February 5th the Social Revolution of João I occurs. I support the great monarch, allowing my merchants to flourish, my people to be free, and my government to be centralized. All is good. After three months of training a diplomat, I am able to declare war on Castille. Aragon follows suit and I quickly move my army of 15,000 infantry and 5,000 cavalry led by general Pereira into Castilla. My other army of 5,000 infantry and 3,000 cavalry led by a competent colonel marches on Andalusia. Aragon sends its armies to Murcia, Cantabria, and via ship, to the Canary Isles. Castilla falls in a surpringsly short 9 months, and Andalusia in 16. By now I have a third army marching on Leon. Pereira quickly lays siege to Toledo and Oporto Regiment to Estramadura. Meanwhile in Tangiers my army has been victorious in conquering Tangiers. Fez sues for peace offering 100 ducats in payment. I accept with glee, and ship my 12,000 strong army to the mainland. On the way the Spanish Armada intercepts me. My fleet crushes the miserable Spaniards and the troops proceed to land in Portugal. By 1426 all the Spanish provinces are controlled by either myself, or Aragon. I demand Andalusia, Toledo, Estramadura, and 250 ducats. Spain accepts, and poor Aragon gets nothing. My Aragon, how little provinces you have! All the better to vassalize and annex you with my dear (whoopsies, am I getting ahead of myself ;)? I am ready for a decade or so to rebuild my repuation (it is slightly tarnished) and establish economic policies. Unfortunately Aragon has other ideas. They declare war on Granada, a country with which they don't even share a common border. I had disbanded most of my troops, and I had 15,000 infantry and 13,000 cavalry left. Pereira had control of 10,000 infantry and 8,000 cavalry. The colonel had the rest. As luck would have it, these armies were stationed in Toledo (Pereira) and Andalusia (colonel), direct striking positions into Granada. As luck would not have it, Granada has 43,000 troops in their capitol province. I decide to take a risk and attack. The sheer tactical genius of Pereira quickly defeats the Moslem heathens who retreat to Toledo. The colonel marches on Gibraltar, and thus I am sieging both Granadan provinces. Bu August 1427 they are both under my control, and I demand Gibraltar and 150 ducats. They accept and sit back to view my empire. I know control the bulk of the Spanish peninsula (Portugal has six territories, Castille five, Aragon five if you count Roussillon, and Navarra two). In March 1428 I got an explorer added to my mighty fleet. I send my enhanced fleet to my colony in the Azores, and after having rested there, send them onwards into the great blue yonder. If I can establish a quick link to the Spice Islands I will be able to yield massive economic power. However, instead of these islands, I am able to see the coast of a strange land. I cannot recognize this land, and my ships cannot see beyond the coast. Many years pass without any quibbles save revolts. However hard my fleet tries, it cannot see beyond the coastline. I set up a colony in Bermuda to allow easier trips for my fleet. In 1436 I got another explorer, and I feel that I am going to head south of the great unknown continent, perhaps there will be a way into the Spice Islands, perhaps, even better, I will find a way to conquer to great unknown. My instincts tell me that the only way to gain true Portuguese power is though this new land.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. I particularly need economic advice. I am doing well with my money, but not great. I don't know how some people make so much money.

~Xanith

Last edited:
Nice start. You seem to have things well under control.

A couple of suggestions, though not of the type you are asking for ;)

Around the word if you used <> </> brackets. Use [] [/] instead.

And try breaking your next post into paragraphs, it's easier on the reader's eye.

Good luck and happy exploring.

It occured to me that I forgot to write about my playing style. I am playing on normal/normal with no reloads. I am not a good player, but I am not terrible either. I usually play as either a garganutan country (England) or a very minute one (Milan) so Portugal's medium amount of provinces was something unfamilar. My one big weakness is my economy. I see some of the screenshots of the AARs with people who have thousands of ducats and I just don't understand how that is possible. I mean I ahve gotten thousands at once, but it was accumulated over many years and then quickly spent. I have never gathered more than 500 ducats. But enough about me, back to the story:

Portugal:A New World

While continuing the exploration of the high seas I noticed the distinct lack of a Spanish army. In addition to that military deficiency, Spanish revolts are popping up all over the peninsula. I see that this is my chance. I strike quickly and efficiently. Even without the great Pereira, the Spanish fall quickly, and from 1439-1442 the war was waged. In September 1442 the Spanish offered me Leon, Galicia, and Murcia. Without hesitation I accepted. This comes as excellent news, for now I share a common border with Aragon, who of course, got nothing out of the war.

Just because there is war in Europe doesn’t mean exploration and colonization halts. I have a new colony in Moron, which allows for extended exploration of the landmass. I am shocked that any land mass could have such a large coastline. It is simply remarkable. Marvelous news has just reached my ears. My might armada has discovered the Mayan nation. Perhaps from them I can get some answers about this land. The Mayans may be mighty, so I must be careful in my dealings with them. I have an army 16,000 strong ready to attack, if the Mayans refuse to share their exploration. They are allied with the “Aztec Empire” whatever that may be it scares me. An empire over a landmass that size could probably destroy me in a second. Still I need to maps and they are not sharing. I must build a few more warships to transport the armies though.

Splendid news, my great monarch Afonso V took control of my army in the Azores on January 1st, 1446. This will greatly aid my efforts to crush the Mayans, when I choose to do so. On the 30th of the same month the Afonsine Ordinances come to my attention and I must decide. I choose to demand less corruption, for while the stability takes a hit, and my revolt risk goes up significantly, I am more centralized, and more importantly, my taxes go up in Andalusia and Algarve. This is good, for these profitable provinces will now offer me more wealth.

The beloved friend of my king, the Duke of Coimbra, has had some problems. Afonso V was only 6 when he became king, and Afonso’s regent was the Duke. However, when the king became 14, and able to rule on his own, some of his lesser advisors attempted to convince the king to dispose of the Duke. The Duke was forced to flee, but later on (January 29th to be exact) he returns. Fearing for his own life because of conspirators against him in the king’s court, he brought a few armed guards with him. I now must make the decision of whether to kill the Duke, or let them live and assist the king. I decide in favor of the Duke. Once again my stability falls by a point, but centralization is increased, the aristocracy decreased, and my subjects are even more free. All is good in Portugal.

The foolish rulers in Aragon refuse to become my vassals. Perhaps their heads’ are as big as their armies? It matters little, for I can build up a legion to match their own within five years. In December 1457 the final warships are completed, and I send them off to the Azores. Once they arrive they shall join with the navy there, and Afonso’s army will go to Bermuda, and then Moron. From there a strike on the Mayan Empire will occur. If all goes well their capitol will fall quickly, and yield their exploration to me. On November 1st I declare war on two weeks later initiate a siege in Tehuacan. Suddenly in March my cartographers alert me to the existence of Tenochtitlan, the capital of the so-called Aztec empire. Once I have captured Mayapan I am sure I will know more about the strange natives of this land. In March the city falls and I am ready to launch an assault on their capital of Mayapan. However I am backtracked and instead start a siege in Campeche. The assault there goes well, and in March 1461 it falls. The now have at least two provinces left, although I cannot see one of them, I know it is there. Three years after the domination of Tehuacan, the capital province of Yucatan falls. In December of the same year I demand Tehuacan (and its nice trade venues) and the Mayans accept, knowing that is must be. Most importantly I now have knowledge of the world, and I can begin to dominate as I see fit. True power is already beginning to take momentum.

As always any and all feedback is welcome.

~Xanith

Wow. Were those explorers of the scripted variety or the random event ones? That's incredibly early to be establishing colonies and fighting Incans and Aztecs. In fact that would make it kind of interesting because at that point you don't enjoy the huge tech advantage that you normally would when you "discover" them in the early late 1400's/early 1500's.

Don't forget to do the coastline of Africa and Asia. There are some hugely valuable CoT's along there that can be a little expensive to place merchants in but once you've got a monopoly you'll rake in tons of cash.

Re the cash situation in general, I tend to try to keep a minimum of 100d "emergency" expense money regardless of what country I'm playing. Beyond that I find that I will build up a huge bankroll in the period immediately before I (1) declare war, (2) undertake to build 3 or 4 simultaneous manufactories of some sort, or (3) just before I get an infrastructure advance.

Good start. Looking forward to seeing Portuguese North, South and Central America.:)

They were of the random event kind. Ironically enough, because of the espenses of the war I am waging against the savages, my technology is suffering. It is the mid-1470's and I only have level three land and naval tech tech, level two infrastructure and trade. Very pitiful. I also ahve to invest a lot in stability because there is no Treaty yet, so I have to lose stability for casus bellies. Very annoying to say the least. I still haven't discovered North American indians besides the Navaho, which doesn't really help. I literally just got a new explorer, perhaps I will be able to see Lenape or the Shawnee. I think that's what I am gonig to do. I have today and tomorrow off because of parent teacher conferences, and since none of my friends have returned my calls, I will be able to play alot. Wish me luck, and thanks for the economic advice. One question, how would I get over to China and Inda and the such? Do I have to sail around south america? If so that would be a pain, a do-able pain but a pain nonetheless.

~Xanith

Last edited:
Unfortunately that's the only way unless you feel like DOWing Aden, fighting a horrendouly nasty war, and taking a port from it as a peace condition. That would save you having to cound the Cape, but you'd still have to be willing to build an armada of a bunch of ships and be prepared to lose a bunch of them.

When I was doing it, I would make sure I had plenty of cash and diplomats and then start sailing. As soon as I discovered a country that had a port, I'd send them a state gift and then a month later ask them for access. Many of the nations will say yes. So you sail on and explore a little further, then return to the post you have access to. I was able to get all the way to China that way but it cost me a bundle of cash and I lost about 15 of the 20 warships that I sent off to do it with. Of course I was naval tech 6 or 7 at the time so I moved pretty slowly.

On the other hand I managed to get a monopoly in Malacca and most of the other Orient CoT's and my trade tech level was high enough to pretty much make them immune to being bumped out again. IIRC Malacca alone netted me 300d per year!

Good luck!

First off I would like to say thank you MrT for your advice. It was a very good idea. However, Lady Luck seems to be with me, and well, you can read about what happened.

Portugal: A New World

It is July 1465 and I have just shipped 12,000 infantry to my new found land conquered from the Mayans. My eye is on the nation of Zapotec. They have no ties to either of their bordering countries; in fact they are in a war with both the Aztecs and the Mayans, although the Mayans can no longer reach the Zapotecs. I think I will take Zapotec, for they have sugar, which is useful for trade. I got a wonderful Christmas present. On December 25th, 1471 Zapotec surrenders Tlaxcala, Tehuantepec, and 50 ducats in payment. I desired full annexation, but it was not to happen. Still, I got the high sugar venues of Tlaxcala, which was crucial.

I have surmised that there are really two continents on this giant land mass. Being the only civilized country in the area I feel it is my duty to name them. In honor of the great general Pereira I will name then Northern Pereira and Southern Pereira. In late November of 1478 I established a colony on Southern Pereira. I want to see just what the continent is like, and intend to sail around it.

Three years have passed since the establishment of my colony in Southern Pereira. Much ahs changed in the world. Most noticeable is the discovery of Delhi, and its rich center of trade. Many margins have come from my merchants there, and I am sure they shall continue. I realized my control of the Spanish peninsula, so I decided it would be easier to vassalize Spain than to conquer them. First off though, I wish to make Aragon my vassals. Much to my surprise, we are no longer allied, and what’s more, Aragon is a vassal of Spain. This upset me greatly, but nonetheless I built up relations with Spain. Soon they invited me into their alliance along with Aragon and England. I am quick to use my Delhi funds to convince the Indians of their love for me. Soon I am able to guide their hand into their pockets, and take it out with their maps. I am amazed at my new discoveries. The Spice Islands are indeed very far away. They are not part of Northern or even Southern Pereira, but rather off the coast of Asia. Most interesting.

My Indian wealth proves once again to be of great use as I start reinforcing my army in the land between Northern and Southern Pereira (I think I will call that area Central Pereira). Soon the army there swells to the size of 15,000 infantry, and much to my surprise, Zapotec’s army ash been reduced to a mere 8,000 men. I see my chance. The war is quick and painless. Two months go by and I assault their capitol city. It falls in 4 days. They concede everything, and I annex them. All is good indeed in 1485.

My insatiable lust for money has turned to the Aztecs. Quickly, I send over an army form the mainland, so I now have a total of 20,000 infantry and 15,000 cavalry. I check the technology levels of the Aztecs; I surpass them by two levels. I can see no army on my border so I attack in the fall of 1491. I foolishly forgot about the Aztec-Maya alliance and have placed myself in quite a pickle of a two-front war. I am able to raise 5,000 infantry quickly, and miraculously, that defends Tehuacan from the Mayan assault. My outnumbered troops later said they saw Pereira himself fighting back the dirty savages, and I pray that he will help again. On the Aztec front things went very well. Their capital quickly fell to an assault, as did Michogan. However, their army of 27,000 men crushed one of the two attack forces. My army in Michogan was in tatters, left with less than 3,000 men, and a crushed morale. They march back to Atlixco and I await the same disaster for my other army. Once again things look grim, my forces outnumbered, and losing morale fast seem doomed. Suddenly my troops start getting organized again, they reform ranks and return fire, claiming they were receiving orders from, “The General.” They had no general with them, only a colonel and then it strikes me, Pereira. I thank the Virgin Mary for sending his spirit in a time of need. The Aztec army suffers the same fate as the army they had so cruelly attacked in Michogan. I pursue them, and annihilate them. In another 4 years all the Mayan and Aztec provinces are under my control, and I promptly proceed to annex them. My reputation may be shot, but at least now I will have soldiers who can return a shot when a European country declares war, which they hopefully never will.

Blessed be thy Lord, for he hath sent a conquistador. This will be my ticket to discovering what dwells in Northern Pereira. Less than two years have gone by since the Aztecs fell, and in 1497 my conquistador and 23,000 men board a ship destined for Bermuda, and then the strange northern lands.

The conquistador has found the nation of Lenape. I see that they have only three provinces, and no standing army on either Manhattan or Delaware, so I attack. Indeed as luck would have it, they have no army whatsoever. In two years they fall to Portuguese might. I feel that I must stay a peace for some time, for I am dreadfully afraid that when my alliance with Spain, England, and Aragon ends somebody will declare war on me. My other fear is that of the Iroqouis nation, a massive population of savages in Northern Pereira. Besides, it is time for economic domination and religious exploits.

~Xanith

Originally posted by MrT
Wow. Were those explorers of the scripted variety or the random event ones? That's incredibly early to be establishing colonies and fighting Incans and Aztecs. In fact that would make it kind of interesting because at that point you don't enjoy the huge tech advantage that you normally would when you "discover" them in the early late 1400's/early 1500's.

Don't forget to do the coastline of Africa and Asia. There are some hugely valuable CoT's along there that can be a little expensive to place merchants in but once you've got a monopoly you'll rake in tons of cash.

Re the cash situation in general, I tend to try to keep a minimum of 100d "emergency" expense money regardless of what country I'm playing. Beyond that I find that I will build up a huge bankroll in the period immediately before I (1) declare war, (2) undertake to build 3 or 4 simultaneous manufactories of some sort, or (3) just before I get an infrastructure advance.

Good start. Looking forward to seeing Portuguese North, South and Central America.:)

the 4 simultanious manufacturies no longer works in 1.04 IIRC.

Since I desire peace for a while, now would be a great time to colonize the many many many unpopulated parts of Northern Pereira. I use my conquistador and destroy the native savages in Connecticut, Massachusetts, Catskill, Penobscot, Adirondak, Chesapeake, and Powhatan. There came a time when my economic rule was challenged by the Venetians and the Egyptians. I chose to forcefully control trade in commercial conflict in Indian Ocean. This gave me many advantages, but forced me into a more mercantilism state.

My colonization of Northern and Southern Pereira was gong very well. I sent a diplomat to India asked for updated maps. Apparently they had discovered a nation of slanted eyed people call the Chinese. Well they seem to be populous enough, and I convinced them just how much Portugal was their friend, and soon I had their maps. Even quicker after that I dominated their center of trade and all of its wealthy silk profits. Indeed the Chinese are very lucrative. I yearn to conquer them, for the trade advantages would be innumerable. First I must get to them. The only way I can see is by sailing around Southern Pereira. I boarded my conquistador on my explorer-led armada. I send colonists to various coastal provinces to allow for a shelter from the storm. As I was continuing, on the western coast of Southern Pereira, I discovered an empire that identifies themselves as the Incas. Soon I will show them how it is in their favor to give me their maps. They do, and I am in shock, reveling at the massive amounts of gold. Perhaps China won’t be next, and perhaps ten years is a bit too long. Yes, definitely too long.

Bittersweet news was brought to my attention. The Iroquois Nation has insulted his grace, Manuel I, and now I have a casus belli against them. The armies in Northern Pereira still have enough troops to carry out an assault, and I raise some new troops. With a total of 14,000 infantry and 9,000 cavalry I am ready to crush the foolish savages. Once again my lust for power blinds me, and I fail to remember the Shawnee alliance. I am crushed on my western flank, but I continue to press upwards, and a lucky assault on the Iroquois capital yields great results, the Iroquois now desire peace, offering me many a fortune in ducats, the Shawnee have appeared to be scared away, and are no longer attacking me, instead they are building up their fortresses.

Come the 7th month of 1512 I have complete control of all the Shawnee and Iroquois territories. I annex them and can once again turn my eye on the Incas. My reputation is as tattered as the Aztecs are a nation. It no longer matters to me; military conquest will allow me to achieve my ends. I must sustain my alliance with England, Spain, and Aragon though; failure to do so would mean European wars left and right. That cannot happen at any cost.

I brought an additional 17,000 Tago-trained infantry for the war, and in 1515 I declare war. I attack on both sides of their massive empire. My pincer movements work their proper magic, and soon the two armies meet, tattered and weakened, but victorious. I merge them and launch an assault on the Inca capital. Successful as usual I generously offer to annex them, and they begrudgingly accept My Empire grows ever larger as the year changes to 1521.

Unfortunately for me, my alliance entered a war with France in about 1519, and it cost me dearly, the French ravaged Aragon, and quickly came upon my provinces. I was forced to pay 250 ducats in payment. Most disgraceful, but I averted would could have quite easily been a disaster. With control of both Southern Pereira coasts I can focus on China.

~Xanith

That last paragraph's a shocker! I was thinking that you might be able to stand up to them by this point. I hope you make them pay for the indignity later.

Hello world! :)
I'm browsing these fora for about half a year now, but it's the first Portugal AAR I see. And it's a great one - keep up the good work!

I also have an ongoing game with Portugal (even though it's in EU I) where I played about 90 or 100 years, but I think you already advanced further than I did. Where do you always get those large armies from?
In my game I concentrated more on colonizing the African coast, which I nearly finished, but central and southern "Pereira" is divided between Spain and me up to now (=>Tordesillas). Oh, not to mention the remaining Aztecs and Incas. Anyway, I'll have a big deal to do with Spain some day, they could just too easily threaten my homelands. And I'll have a word with England and France about those possessions in Northern Pereira - "that's my fur trade, okay?!" :D

Looking forward to read about your unification of Pereira... :cool:

I feel compelled to answer some of the questions I am being asked and just respond to the replies in general. The French really wouldn't be a problem, except for the fact that all my armies were tied up. I managed to convert Andalusia and Gibraltar and Murcia, but that all happened after the French war. So my armies on the mainland were busy supressing revolts (they each had about 12% revolt risk which meant a revolt practically every other month). I really wasn't prepared for this war, because I expect Spain and Aragon to deal with France, but the sudden French victories posed a very large threat. I acted before they even touched my territories, because I was in no position to stop them. I ahd spent most of my money on missionaries to my countless Pagan provinces, and building up armies in Northern and Southern Pereira also took its toll on my economy. There was just no way besides me taking a loan to properly deal with the French onslaught. I had a mere 300 ducats, and I figured that the French, who currently had 0% on me, would spring for all the cash I offered. The French will suffer in the future.

I intend to start making them adore my mighty nation, and when my current alliance ends, I intend to create a new one with France, England, and Aragon. Then I can focus purely on Spain for a bit. Once the Spanish are gone (which may take a while because of all their colonies) I will keep the same alliance, minus Aragon. They will be crushed under the Portuguese might. Once I have full control of the peninsula (which I plan to do by 1610) I will get Austria to like me, and then keep the English on my side, and then my vengence will take over, and the French will pay dearly. I can't wait to see the Portuguese flag over Paris. What a day that shall be. Well those are my plans for Europe.

Now for my plans for Asia and the Pereiras. In Asia I won't rest until I have control of Shanghai, Delhi, and any other particularly valuable CoT. However, that will be very hard to do, and will require many years of build up and careful planning on how I can get control of enough provinces to demand one of their territories so I havea foothold. It will be very hard to establish my foothold, but once I do, things should go smoothly enough. The Aztecs are dead, as are the Incas, Shawnee, Lenape, and Iroquois. Chimu, Huron, and the Cherokee nations are my next targets. The Spanairds have foolishly established colonies that prevent me from unifying the Pereiras, but those will fall quickly enough when I declare war on Spain. I do regret not ahving any African colonies, for now slaves are becoming more valuable with all the cotton, tobacco, and sugar about, but I am happy with my control of the Pereiras. I got really lucky getting those explorers, and because of that I am able to build large armies. Once the Aztecs were mine, it was quite easy to get money, the gold just kept on coming. My merchants in Delhi and Shanghai also provide quite a fancy of profits, and it is all used either with missionaires, colonists, or armies. I will probably be able to post another update or three today. I won't be able to post anything over the weekend, because I will be camping out and hiking.

~Xanith

P.S. This is going to sound very noobish, but then again I am, how do I get a country's plaque under my name?

Last edited:
You mean this nice Portugal thing in my case? :cool:
You can choose it by editing your profile ("user cp"-button), it's in the "edit options", scrolling all the way down to the "avatars".

Slowly but surely the word of Christ is being spread around the world. My Pagan provinces now see the way of the Savior, and even in Granada the Moslems do not dwell. This is allows me to breathe a sigh of relief, for revolt risks are dropping from 12% to 2%. I am preparing for the domination of the Chimu savages, now that I control the Inca lands it should be easy to crush them. Only the Incan provinces a few stragglers in Northern Pereira hold on to their false pantheons.

The Navaho nation diplomatically insulted me, which is not something I will forget quickly. Unfortunately for them, all my armies that were used to destroy the Aztecs and Mayans are still intact, and in fact, stronger, so that they were better equipped to quell rebellions. The Navaho have made a grave error. In the midst of my war with them João III ascends to the throne. He is inferior to either of his predecessors, but still stronger then my previous king. The war lasts less than two years, and soon I have four new provinces added to my extensive empire.

The Chimu people tremble before my Portuguese might, and seizing the opportunity to declare war while the Chimus are in a civil war is something I will not miss. The war is ridiculously easy. My troops armed with their mighty muskets cut through the Chimu’s spears like a hot knife through butter. More gold flows into the Portuguese treasury, and I am faced with quite a dilemma, inflation. Quickly I lower my budget that goes to the treasury, and my inflation only increase .45 each year. Using governors in various territories I am able to reduce inflation down to 0%. I celebrate by regaining a monopoly in Shanghai and Delhi.

Feeling that now is a good time, I leave my alliance with England, Spain, and Aragon and create a new one with my former enemy, France. The massive French territory will give me cover when I declare war on Spain, as well as serving as a dummy, for the English are most likely to attack France before they attack me. With no revolt risks in any of my territories in the peninsula, I feel that within a few years the time will be ripe to decimate Spain, and take their land for my own.

The incessant Martin Luther has created dissent within the Church, and has caused the creation of the Protestant faith. Luckily none of my provinces are affected by his heresy. Spain also has no Protestants in its midst, which is good because otherwise they would create an even higher revolt risk when I conquer them. With large armies raised, and relations with Aragon and England at the highest possible (perhaps with luck they will dishonor the alliance) I am ready to attack Spain. I declare war in 1528.

Much to my dismay, England and Aragon join in the war, but so does my ally France, so this should be good. I am able to quickly take the Spanish colonies, and England, seeing the follies of its way, sues for peace, asking for but a return to the status quo. I accept with a sigh of relief. Aragon also asked for a white peace, but for them, it was not granted. The war in Europe goes well enough. I lose about 40,000 men, but they lose more. Soon the Portuguese flag flies over the entire peninsula, but still, I am not ready for peace. In Central Pereira, the war is like a pendulum, constantly changing directions. I am able to take the two Spanish trading posts in Northern Pereira, but the trading posts of Spain, and the colonies of Portugal in Central Pereira are constantly changing hand. I am eventually forced to bring up my conquistador from the old Chimu lands and am then able to crush the Spanish there. All that remains now are the Spanish colonies in the string of islands above Southern Pereira.

With Aragon the war is far from over though. They have many small island provinces which all need to be conquered, and that my take a while, for they all have significant fortifications. After seven years I make peace with Aragon, settling for Gerona, Cataoloni, Valencia, the Baleares, and Sardinia. All that remains now is Spain. They keep offering me about 20 of their various colonies, but A) not the valuable ones like Martinique and B) I want the territories on the peninsula more. So I will wait, and I will conquer all the colonies, and then I shall wait for them to offer me all the colonies plus the mainland territories. France annoyed me greatly by sending 30,000 infantry to assist in the siege on Castilla, but in doing so, they were the ones who captured Madrid, so I have to ask them for the Spanish maps. After seven bloody years of war I control every Spanish territory. I have 100% on them, yet they enevr accept any of my generous offers. I wind up accepting peace for about 120% worth of colonies and territories. The only new province on the mainland I gain is Navarra. I did gain three more territories on the mainland from Aragon though. In the next war Spain will most likely lose everything but Castilla. And that war is but five years away..........

~Xanith

The Cherokee people must have heads the size of my treasury, for they declared war on me in 1542. I promptly annexed them and their allies, the Creek, in but a mere 17 months. Even for savages one would think they would have some intelligence. Obviously they don’t. Well their loss is my gain. Apparently Jean Calvin, following in the steps of Luther, has created his own branch of Christianity. Once again I am lucky and none of my provinces convert to his heresy.

There is treachery in the ranks of my fleeting aristocracy (probably mad at my plutocratic policies) and they allied themselves with Spain. Well I have a casus belli against them for 2 full years, and our peace agreement ends in six months. That gives me plenty of time to build up armies. Spain will fall!

Apparently England left the Spanish led alliance quite some time ago, which means I am only at war with Spain and Aragon. The Aragon part of the war ends after three years. Aragon has been reduced to only their capital province, Aragon. 1548 truly is a good year for Portugal. I now control all the Spanish territories, and I await an offer from them, because, for some odd reason, they always offer more than I do. When I do offer as much as they do, they decline. There comes at the beginning of 1549. I am appalled they don’t offer everything. Indeed, they kept one province besides their capital. The nerve of those Spaniards! Well it matters little, in the next war they will have to surrender Martinique, and then in the war after that, Castilla will proudly hang the Portuguese flag.

These savages are so stupid it is beyond me. After I take over most of Spain, Huron declares war on me. Do these people have no brains? The war does not even last three-quarters of a year. In August 1549 the Hurons are added to my vast empire.

In 1554 I continue the war against Spain. I am very disturbed though, because my gifts to my French allies are hurting my relations with them, not helping. Apparently Naples joined the Spanish alliance, and with my army in Messina I am able to launch an assault upon their lands. Six months after the war begins I fully annex Aragon. In April 1555 I make peace with Spain collecting all their ducats and Martinique for me and Bearn for France. I made a mistake by making peace with Spain so soon though. It would have been in my best interest to get a territory from Naples first. That will be what I do next war. In fact I have to do that. My intentions are as follows.

If, no, when I conquer Italy I will make good relations with Austria so as to ensure my safety on that border. I will then make an alliance with England, abandon France, and, once I have built up troops, teach France a lesson for forcing me to pay them ducats. I will be able to launch attacks from both the Spanish peninsula and Italy, and my English allies from above. France, caught in three fronts, will crumple and wither and die. Yes, they will pay!

~Xanith

You're giving gifts to France and it's dropping your relations? :eek: Maybe you should start insulting and warning them instead to improve relationships, since they obviously don't like toadying countries, maybe they like fiesty ones.:D

In my war lust I appear to have not checked exactly where all the colonies I gained from Spain were. Turns out I have a large city smack dab in the middle of China. This is excellent news, for it is a staging point for a war against the Chinese. I was eying various Indian territories around Delhi, and I noticed that France had a territory in Bombay. Well this made me look around, and I noticed that there were six southern Indian territories just waiting to be colonized. I begin to colonize the territories, but it is no easy task. The native populations are huge (10,000 or above) and they are of a medium aggressive behavior. Slowly but surely the colonies grow, and eventually I have a city in Madurai. Coincidentally, it is time for me to finish off Spain once and for all.

October 22nd, 1560 I declare war on Spain. I decide to face it alone, and do not call upon the help of France. The Papal States, Naples, and Brandenburg join with Spain against me. This should be interesting. I get Apulia from Naples and 200 ducats from the Papal States. All seems to be going well. Castilla is under my control and all that remains is to annex Spain. What treachery is this? The Spaniards must control some other land in the world. This is most infuriating. Perhaps though this is a blessing in disguise. The territories that Spain controls are very profitable ones. Ones that I will surely enjoy having.

Using my two shipyards in Tago and Oporto I build a navy such as the world has never seen and I load my gargantuan armies. One third of my troops head towards Firenze and Lombardia, while the other two thirds go for Holland, Zeeland, Friesen, and Brabant. All these territories have medium-sized fortresses, so the sieges and battles will be long and bloody. Lombardia and Firenze take two years each, but they fall.

Oh ironies of ironies! It appears that I didn’t even notice Genoa begin allied to Spain. What I did know though, was that the only way to reach Lombardia was through Liguria, so I sent gifts, and, even though we were at war, they granted me military access. Now that I know we are at war, and that I have a large army in their vicinity, they better be ready to die.

The siege on Holland is going nowhere fast. My regiment of 339 artillery already captured Zeeland and is halfway through Brabant, and that regiment arrived seven months after the army sieging Holland. Well I am impatient so I launch an assault and take the province, and then promptly move on to Friesen. Tired of this war I launch a halfhearted assault, which fails. I bring in the artillery and the city surrenders in a matter of 4 months. Now came the truly hard part. By this time it had become customary for Spain to offer me nearly every province they had. However they have the nerve to only offer Firenze, Friesen, Holland, and Zeeland. I attempt to weasel them out of Lombardia, Firenze, Holland, and Zeeland (which comes out to 82%) and they rejected. I settle for my offer minus Zeeland (Holland had a manufactory). The next war will yield me the rest of their provinces. If it doesn’t…well I don’t know how much more I can take.

I am lucky and am able to gain a casus belli against Spain. Why they insult Portugal is beyond me. I decide to declare war right then. I lose six stability, but I am at +3, so there will be no civil war. This war goes much more smoothly. The only problem is that it is going too fast. If I go three years without any action against Spain, then the war ends. But I want to wrestle some territories from the Pope and annex Naples and Genoa. On May 20th, 1572, I annex Genoa, and more importantly, their Center of Trade. I choose to annex Naples on the same, for that way in the history books it will be remembered as a day of great victory, not just another annexation after war. September 25th is the day I sign a peace agreement with the Pope. I gained Emilia, Mantua, and Romagna. Now to get the three Spanish territories. They agree, knowing they have no other choice. This is simply splendid for two reasons. One: The obvious one that the Spanish are reduced to a mere single territory- Castilla. Two: I have yet another front to attack France from. Despite all the help they have given me in the war against Spain, vengeance does not die easily. One more war better be all it takes to crush Spain.

Lady Luck once again shows her face and convinces my nobles to ally with the Spanish. This gives me enough time to build my stability from –1 to +3 (When one has as much money as I do, it is a very simple matter to get stability). I do so with 2 months to spare. Seeing my chance to end the Spanish nation once and for all I declare war. The Pope is quivering with fear as he should be. The mighty Portuguese armies crush him, and he is forced to give all his ducats, Marche, and Dalmatia. The next war will crush him. But wait, there won’t be a next war. FOR SPAIN HAS BEEN ANNEXED!!!!!

~Xanith

Last edited:
Misc. Updates

Okay I am going to post a couple of updates that I forgot to post before. In the first war with the Papal States I also gained Sienna. Ohh most importantly, I changed from normal/normal to hard/aggressive. I chose to make this decision because I felt it was too easy. Just so you know, I amde the change before I conquered Spain.

~Xanith

Originally posted by Xanith

The next war will crush him. But wait, there won?t be a next war. FOR SPAIN HAS BEEN ANNEXED!!!!!
Congratulations for your portuguese peninsula!
I don't think changing the difficulty will stop you anymore - what next? China? India? (could be some work though...) AFAIK China likes wandering around with huge armies, they've got that money. BTW, how is your technology doing? And inflation still on zero?

Tactics

I started the GC as Portugal and was almost immediately annihilated. My 15/5 army in Tangiers was slaughtered by the Fez - and I wasn't even waging a two front war against Spain. My army was crushed by the 12/5 Fez force that attacked from the East.

What kind of tactics did you use to take over Tangiers from the Fez? I wonder if your early-game alliance diverted some of the Fez' resources to fighting against Aragon.