• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Prince Ares

Colonel
1 Badges
Sep 6, 2005
  • Crusader Kings II
Hiya!

I was kind of bored today’s morning, too early to sell newspapers, all WoW servers is temporally down, what too do?

Start an AAR of course! Country? Well, I'm a ERE fanatic, so my first though was Byzantium (Roman empire). But there is already a lot of Roman AARs so that subject has become boring. Trebizond? No, there is also a loot of such AARs.

So I decided to start a Morean AAR instead. I'm no good writer, I just do this because it's fun.

Normal/Normal AGCEEP 152

Chapter 1 It's a start

It has finally started.

"While a single shade of Light cannot ruin the perfect Darkness, a single shade of Darkness can destroy an entire Christian Nation" /Xarfax Geamaxrios

It was early at the morning and Despot Theodore was visiting his Summer palace at Sparta. Even through it was the first of January it was fairy warm, around 18 degrees (C).

He was sitting in his library. He couldn't sleep although he was tired. He had just readied a book who he had bought from a yellow skinned Eastern known as "The art of War". According to the Eastern, who called himself "Wu Haan" the book was written nearly two thousand years ago in a land called Chu by a military-genius known as SunTzu. Theodore couldn't believe this was true, this book had very innovative ideas who he never had heard of, it could not possibly have been written at the time of the Ancient Greeks.

Now he was looking through the window. He was watching all the many villages around Sparta. The farmers where all sleeping and no cock had crowded yet.

One of his advisors, Demetrios Makriliganos, the leader of the group known as "The Constantinople remnant" suddenly came to the library. He looked fairy surprised when he saw his Despot and master: "Your highness is that book that interesting that you cannot sleep without having finished reading it?

Theodore answered rapidly: "I was thinking, the empire is no more, only we and the city remains."

"Yes?"

"Where is god? Why do not our lord and saviour help us against the barbarian infidel?"

"Umm... I don’t know, maybe he is angry on us!"

"Yes. He is clearly angry on us. And I think I know why."

"Why? Why are our lord and saviour angry on us?"

"Because we do not use our main strength, our righteous fury against the evil infidel. When was the last time we made an offence against the barbarian dogs? If they could defeat us one against ten at the fifth century, empowered by the unholy powers of Zhatan, I am sure that we can do the same, with the blessings of the Almighty Father, His Son and the Holy Spirit."

"But, your majesty, our small Despotate do not border the barbarian Turks, only the remains of the evil Catholic Latin empire."

"Then we shall strike upon them before we unleash Gods wrath upon the infidel! We are only retaking what rightly belongs to us from the Heretic scum who take orders from an evil Latin dictator!

I will assemble the Desoptic council by noon. But first, I have my breakfast."

Not long after that conversation, at the Great hall, the leaders of Morea where assembled. There where the Despot of course, Viceroy Iohannes, the financial advisor Yekreatese, the military advisor Heiro, Demetrios and three top ranking members from the Constantinople remnant and Xarfax, the leader of the "Legion of God", rivals of the Remant and three top ranking members of the legion all dressed in blood-red robes with the insignia of the legion on them.

Theodore said: "Wellcome advisors faithful servants of the Roman empire and of the Despotate of Morea.

As I think you all know why we are here, I will begin to ask a question to Yekreatese, our ever-loyal financial advisor. Yekreatese, can we afford a war against the Latins?"

Yekreatese answered after a short thinking: "Hmm... Our finances aren’t exactly the best, but I think we could afford it if it does not take to long. We must send merchants to all corners of the world and we must finish the war before our beloved state go bankruptcy."

"And when do you think that we will go bankruptcy?", the Despot asked rapidly.

"With a full scale war, I think our finances can't survive longer than to the end of 1420."

"Then, I now decide as Despot of Morea and a faithful servant of the Roman empire, that the war will be over by September 1420, whenever we have gained victory or not."

The despot then looked at Heiro, the military advisor and asked: "Heiro, are our forces strong enough to give us victory in September next year?"

"I believe they are" He replied smiling. "I believe they are more than capable of that, but because I and probably you too, great despot, want to be sure of our victory, I suggest that we recruit at least 4000 horsemen for the war against the heretic dogs."

"Then let it be so! 4000 horsemen will be recruited and trained in Morea and deployed on the Roman-Latin border. But under who’s banner? Which of the two clans armies are the most capable, the Constantinople remnant or the Legion of God?"

Xarfax, the leader of the Legion now raised from his chair. "Your highness, the legion suggest the Honour of this mission. We will be more than capable of driving the Heretic from our lands!"

"Do not!" said Demetrios loud "The legionaries are fanatics. If you let them take the city for you, you will be the ruler of nothing more than a ruined Ghost town. Those insane creatures will surely slaughter most innocent Athenians unrightfully in the name of God!"

"Shut up, you coward!" Xarfax answered "You weaklings would just let the heretics stay and corrupt the city! We from the legion know what must be done!"

"YOU ARE ALL INSANE!" Demetrios screamed and draw his sword.

"Stop this nonsense, both of you!" Theodore said very loud. "Xarfax, I give you and your men a chance to prove themselves on the battlefield. Take Athens for me and I will make you idolised in all of Rome. Fail, we discuss that later."

"You are making a terrible mistake, milord." Demetrios said very irritated.

"Are you questioning my authority?" The Despot replied.

"No, I just try to warn you for the sake of Rome."

"I want no more of this hostility among our own kind. You all have my orders. I now dismiss this council. I thank you all for coming."

In the beginning of April, the Cavaliers where finally finished with their training. The Despotate declared war along with it's ally, the emperor in Rome and quickly advanced into Latin lands.

The advance upon Athens

Upon reaching the outskirts of Athens, They where confronted with the small Latin army. After some, not to hard fighting, the Latin’s where destroyed and the Morean army began to siege Athens.

In August 1419, they got help from the Emperor in Constantinople. The siege was nearly finished by then.

The death of the Latin empire

In December 1419, the Latins surrendred. The Morean and Roman forces, under the leadership of Xarfax and his fanatics, plundered the city, killing thousands of Greek citizens. They took relics from monasteries and burned the monks and nuns at the stake for heresy. They showed some kind of Christian "mercy" over the Athenians however, as the ones who raped women or destroyed churches, where instantly killed by the fanatics of the Legion. Athens had finally been liberated, but at a huge cost, and the Despot where not pleased with the barbarity the Legion had done against the Athenian people.

Last edited:
Chapter 2: Hail the Despot!

"A dishonourable knife in the back of an enemy is always better than a holy sword in yours."

/Xarfax

Theodore was outraged with the barbarity in Athens. Ten days after the sacking of Athens he summoned Xarfax in his Great Tower of Mistra.

When Xarfax arrived, the leader of the Legion was dressed in his finest red and golden clothing made out of Silk from China. He wore a blood red mantle and a tabard with the insignia of the Legion of god. He was happy and expected to be very well meet by the Despot and as Theodore said at the end of the meeting, idolised by everyone.

Instead of throwing gold and silver on him, Theodore slapped the young clan-leader and screamed "You idiot! How dare you to call yourself a Christian?"

"What now?! Xarfax replied?" I liberated the city, as you ordered. You have no reason for anger. I only did what you ordered me to do.”

“You didn’t liberate it, you blind fool! You sacked the city, killing thousands of ORTHODOX Greeks.”

“My men needed something in change for liberating the city. Those Greeks only got the punishment they deserved for not having overthrown the Latins!”

“There is no excuse for killing innocent people, especially not for a Christian as you. Because of what you have done, I hereby disband you Legionaries from the service of the Despotate of Morea and the Roman empire.”

“You are the most ungrateful man on Earth, Despot!”

“You are the one who are ungrateful. You should be happy that I don’t execute you and the other fanatics for your horrible crimes! Now GO!”

“ Hmpf… You will regret this foolish decision. I promise you!” Xarfax said and left the meeting room and ordered his wagon to transport him back to Athens.”

Venice is still greedy and corrupt

The fanatical madness of the Legion of God had not got unnoticed by the rest of the world either. In October 1420; Venice and its allies, Tuscany and Croatia (vassal of Venice), declared war on the Roman world, claiming to protect the rights of Greek Catholics. Theodore took a loan to stabilize the finances and sent the Constantinople Remnant to Ionia. Surprisingly, they where allowed to pass Athenian lands still controlled by Xarfax and his legionaries.

The fall of Ionia.

The war didn’t turn out the best way for the Venetians. They quickly lost Ionia to Morea and, despite that they attacked Mistra, Morean forces, spearheaded by the paladins of the Constantinople Remnant entered Coufu and Crete.

What about a nice big cup of get the hell out of our lands?

The Remnant did a surprisingly good work with their Greek brethren in Venetian lands and began to invade the Venetian homeland. After taking the Venetian province of Dalmatia, The Venetians offered Theodore all of their Greek possessions. He accepted the offer, as his finances where going badly and he had to end this war quickly.

Viva la Porphyrogenitos!

Morea was becoming a great power after all the short but effective wars. But now, secretly, both Athens and Constantinople are plotting against Theodore. What are their plans Morea? Next chapter out soon. =)

Last edited:
When the leaders where taking a break from the nagociations, a messenger from the Roman emperor in Constantinople arrived and gave a letter to Theodore with the seal of the emperor on them.

"To Theodore, Despot of Morea.

I, the Ceasar, hereby lay a claim to the territories your occupy. I am the emperor and the rightful owner of these former occupied lands, while you are my subject and only have the authority over Morea and nothing more. I hereby demand that you send a messenger to Thebes where my new governors are waiting and install them as rulers over my lands. The patriarch is at my side and supports me. If you do not do this, all the Greek-ortodox churches will close and your lands are subject to occupation by imperial forces.

Signed /Your Ceasar and master, Baselius Iohannes Palaeilogos"

Theodore was angered and destroyed the leter and demanded told the messenger to go back to Thebes and inform his master that he had rejected this proposal and that he, from now would rule he Greek church. When Xarfax saw this, he said:

"And tell your master that the rulers of Athens, the Legion of God, support your claim and recognise the Roman emperor as the rightful ruler of all of Morea."

"The you are a traitor." Theodore shouted at him. "And your city is subject of Morean occupation."

"Says the traitor who just betrayed Rome."

Theodore was going to answer when his little daughter, Anna walked into the room and asked her father:

"Father, where is the libaryn this tower located?" This was her first time visiting the Grand tower.

Theodore was glad to get an excuse to leave Xarfax fore some time before swords where drawn. "Come, I show you" he said.

While the despot and his daughter was walking out of the room Xarfax was deep in thoughts. When they left he quietly said to his two guards from the legion:

"Follow me. I know what to do. We will soon have our revenge on that damn fool!"

They followed the Despot into the library. Only Theodore and Anna where there.

They walked towards Theodore and when they all stood beside the Despot, Xarfax said:

"Kill them both. In a quiet manner"

The three draw their swords. Xarfax cut of the despots head, when one of his guards cut through the stomach of the little girl.

Xarfax took Theodores bloody head and walked outside the libary, into the meeting room where people still where discussing the ultimatum of the Caesar. He said very loud:

"God is with us, people of Morea. The traitor who betrayed Rome is dead. He is burning down in hell now. I cut of the creatures head. He tried to rape his own daughter in the library. We saved her from this, through when the traitor saw that he had no chance to escape, he killed the little girl.

That monster has ruined the once-glory despotate. He has betrayed Rome and killed thousands of innocent people.

But do not fear, People of Rome. I am here to bring Roman order back to this Despotate. We are going to do it together! God save the empire!"

"You lie, you mad fanatic!" an old man said "Theodore would never rape his own daughter. I have known him since he was born and..."

"Silence, Kill the traitor!" Xarfax now ordered his guards who quickly cut of his head.

As the events in Mistra continued and the legionaries slaughtered some more members of the Despotic court, the entire nation where preparing for a long and bloody civil war. Will Morea survive and save Rome before the Otoman infidel grow to strong? Answer in next chapter, as always! =)

The war against Byzantium shouldn't be too tricky if they're limited to their starting province should it? Just make sure you get there before those nasty Ottomans!