• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(68787)

Recruit
Feb 15, 2007
Hello and welcome to my First AAR. I have lurked the forums for quite a long time so I have had the chance to read many great AARs. While reading them, I decided one day I would have a go at doing my own. So I decided on somewhere in Eastern Europe. I must have been mad, but I chose plucky little Ryazan. This is its's account

Scenario: Grand Campaign
Targets:
Primary is to survive to end of game
Secondary is to become a great power
Tertiary is to conquer the world (highly unlikely :) )

Updates shall be quite frequent with one coming later today.

Prologue To Book 1
Compiled by Ivan Chaikovsky, Grand Historian of Ryazan in the year of our lord 1419 for his majesty Fedor III

A great chapter in our history has begun, as you, King Fedor III have declared a claim as Tsar of All The Russias. You will no doubt face hard times, but we must overcome and stoke our claim. Ryazan shall triumph or crumble trying.

To the west lies the massive Lithuania. It would be folly to even think of making advances here in our current state. To the north lies the Muscovians. They are a medium-sized nation, but with a strong army. They are currently engaging the snowy kingdom of Novgorod in combat. To the east lies the barbarous Goldern Horde, our overlords. If we are to strike out, we must cancel our vassaldom to them one day as they are extracting money from us.

The wisest step at the moment would be to gain military access through Muscovy. Then we should attack one of the small kingdoms such as Tver or Pskov. I doubt they could face up to us with a strong army, although the siege could provide a problem.

Our first duty, however, is to make sure the economy is ready for this great leap forward. I am sure you can succeed in managing Ryazan where others have failed.

Yours Humbly,
Grand Historian Ivan Chaikovsky X

Good luck. Yeah. Tver seems to be everyone's first step up. But even so, you can't really succeed unless Moscow does badly. Let's hope they do.

Well....if he can get a strong enough start he can deal with Muscowy.

The trick here is to make sure Russia doesn't form - at least unless you're it. (Can Ryazan become Russia? Hm.)

Good luck!

Any Russian minor can become Russia. In AGCEEP-MyMap I think Lithuania can too.

The Dream

The Dream

As the New Year dawned, Ryazan was a weak and small nation south of Moscow. Fedor III, the monarch of Ryazan, knew he had a tough job ahead of him. His quest, above all was to convert all the squabbling Russian kingdoms into one great nation, with him and his descendants as King.

During 1419, one of these squabbles turned into a major war as Muscovy raised its armies to invade Novgorod. Novgorod also had troubles with Sweden, Denmark and later, Pskov. Despite extreme courage, Novgorodian soldiers were beaten back in the war, losing Kola to Sweden and the next year, Olonets and Archangelsk to Muscovy.

Meanwhile, Tver had managed to get in a war with Lithuania. This was a major problem to Ryazan who had planned to get military access through Muscovy and then invade Tver themselves. Tverian soldiers performed well, even defeating a small Lithuanian army south-east of Tver, but ultimately lost and had their domain added to Lithuanias huge empire.

During all this, Ryazan was having troubles with money. They were losing 4 ducats a month despite Army Maintenance being temporarily lowered. In 1420, Ryazan gained access to the Novgorod market and began trading there, but money problems still occured. In 1421, A baliff was promoted to help combat the financial problems. As 1422 began, the map of North-West Russia looked like this:

Welcome to the wonderful world of AAR-writing! :)

Ryazan is certainly going to be a challenge - and likely will be most interesting too. I would be nervous of Lithuania.

A game as a minor is a challege, but it's pretty cool to watch!