• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(6777)

Field Marshal
Dec 10, 2001
Games should have goals, and this one is no exception. I decided it was time for a real game-playing and roll-playing challenge, and Siebenbürgen struck me as just the ticket. Also called Transylvania (“beyond the forest”), this small one-province country is the site of one of the most important historic battles of all time, for it was in the lowlands of the Transylvanian Alps that Ottoman threat was stalled, which arguably saved all of Christendom:

In this most critical hour Hungary was saved principally by the genius of a single man, János (John) Hunyadi, one of the most interesting and attractive figures in the national history. He had risen from small beginnings; son of a lesser noble of Vlach origin (it is true that his ascent to position and wealth had been so meteoric as to give rise to rumours that he was Sigismund's own natural son), he had begun life as a professional condottiere, but had shown such extraordinary talent in that capacity that Sigismund had given him high command, and Albrecht even higher, appointing him Ban of Szörény. Ulászló, whose cause he had supported, promoted him to Captain-General of Belgrade and Voivode of Transylvania. He was now the most important man in Hungary, after the young king himself, and also in a fair way to becoming the richest, for he was as great a money-maker as he was soldier; by not long after this, his private estates were estimated to have covered nearly six million acres. In Transylvania, in 1442, Hunyadi brilliantly defeated a Turkish army, then in 1443 persuaded Ulászló to undertake a campaign in the Balkans, this being the first time for many years that the Turks had the offensive taken against them on that front. This was so signally successful that the Sultan agreed to a peace which liberated all Serbia from his rule. Unhappily, the Papal Legate, who had been organising a crusade which was frustrated by Hunyadi's action in concluding the peace, persuaded Ulászló that a word given to an infidel need not be kept. The next year he and Hunyadi accordingly led a new army into the Balkans, where the enraged Sultan, meeting them outside Varna on 10 November, defeated them disastrously. The young king himself perished, with the flower of his army, while Hunyadi barely escaped with his life.

I found several sources that very clearly indicate that Hunyadi was of Transylvanian birth but in spite of this, Siebenbürgen does not have the benefit of a single military leader scripted for its entire 400-year history, therefore my first goal for playing the country will be to stem the tide of any potential Muslim threat, and to act as the bulwark for the west with just my wits, my diplomacy, and I’ll hope like hell I get some good die rolls on those CRTs.

[edit] Now, as it happens, Siebenbürgen means “Seven Castles.” This stems from the seven major fortifications within the region at the time – and as you will read below, my original statement here led to some significant objections, so let's just say that for unknown and questionable reasons, Paradox decided to have it begin the Grand Campaign game as a separate country with an RM and military alliance with Hungary. It doesn't begin as a vassal. It's there as a selectable country and I felt like playing something with a bit of a challenge. At any rate, since the province can only have one city, my next goal is to end the game in control of seven castles, forming roughly modern-day Romania: the three "Magyar" culture provinces, and the four “Romanian” culture ones. I will try to leave my Christian friends alone (otherwise). Under no circumstances will I allow myself to exceed seven provinces.[/edit]

Lastly, as a good bulwark should, I will support my Christian brethren against the heathen, and try to maintain very good relationships with as many of them as I can.

Now since this is likely to provide only limited material as far as the in-game activities, I hope you will allow me some periodic discursions into the more prosaic, if highly un-factual, realms.

With any luck, I will begin the postings tomorrow.

Last edited:
Interesting

Sound very interesting MrT, I'm anxious to see this AAR, especially seeing the limited goals you set fer yourself.
So you truly want to not exceed seven provinces? You think you'll be able to resist the temptation?
And what about colonies?

So what you're trying to tell me, is that you're ready to start another AAR... :D

I assume that limiting yourself to seven provinces won’t stop you from creating numerous vassals? Interesting point would be to create a vassal so that you could gain another more important province. Many interesting ideas your creating here MrT. Looking forward to it.

Joe

Siebenburgen has a magyar culture in 1.03.
This will probably make your goal of taking and keeping all the romanian provinces a bit more difficult, or at least less profittable.

Re: Interesting

Originally posted by Saint
Sound very interesting MrT, I'm anxious to see this AAR, especially seeing the limited goals you set fer yourself.
So you truly want to not exceed seven provinces? You think you'll be able to resist the temptation?
And what about colonies?

Colonies? What would the Bulwark of the West(TM) need with colonies? :)

Seven. Sieben. Hept. Sept. MAXIMUM!

If I think there's a dander of an eigth I'd have to free a vassal first. NEVER more than seven. (It's a magic number...)

Originally posted by Lord Durham
So what you're trying to tell me, is that you're ready to start another AAR... :D

Yeah. :)

Originally posted by RepublicofGenoa
Siebenburgen has a magyar culture in 1.03.
This will probably make your goal of taking and keeping all the romanian provinces a bit more difficult, or at least less profittable.

...or harder. :)

Originally posted by Storey
I assume that limiting yourself to seven provinces won’t stop you from creating numerous vassals? Interesting point would be to create a vassal so that you could gain another more important province. Many interesting ideas your creating here MrT. Looking forward to it.

Joe

Actually looking to choose just the right moment to let Ottomans take a choice procince...or maybe not. I have 400 years to get the 7 provinces after all...

From the raucous debates on the General, History, and Scenario fora, and from my own reading of 15th century Balkan history, I've gathered that Transylvania was a geographic expression in the early 15th century. It was after the success of Transylvanian nobles during the general collapse of Hungary during the later Turkish invasions that Transylvania emerged as a distinct political unit, preserving to some degree its independence, while central Hungary was swallowed by Turkey and the western third was inherited by Austria.

How does this affect your AAR? Not all, as best I know.

Hey, d'ya think you could take any Carpathian provinces? Maybe you could tame the wlak herds and ride them into battle ...

driftwood

Do not get me wrong MrT, You are free to write Your AAR the way You wish (as it is pure fiction anyway), but it is very inaccurate to portray Transsylvania the way You do.

As already pointed out by others prior to me Transsylvania was an integral part of Hungary, a regional entity, which became semi-independent after the Ottoman invasion of Hungary (which splitted the Hungarian Kingdom in 3 parts)in 1541. Thus Transsylvania in 1419 is magyar both in province and state culture as portrayed correctly by Paradox.

Further info on this:

The first written references to the settlement of Romanians (who were known at that time as Wlachs) in Transylvania are from the beginning of the thirteenth century. After Hungary lost the battle of Mohács in 1526 against the Turkish Empire, the Hungarian Kingdom fell apart: Transylvania becomes a practically independent Hungarian principality, or semi-sovereign state under Turkish suzerainty. In domestic matters Transylvania was able to pass its own laws, so in 1568 for the first time in the world, religious freedom was declared for four religions, the Roman Catholic, Lutheran, Calvinist and the Unitarian churches, at the "Diet" (National Assembly) held in the Transylvanian town of Torda. The Wallachian (Romanian) Orthodox Church was not legally recognized as part of Transylvania's religions, so, as the Wallachian noblemen were integrating into the Hungarian nobility, many of them became Catholics. The Wallachians at that time did not yet develop their ethnical identity, and they did not yet formulate their demands for territorial separation and independence. Under the Turkish-Austrian Treaty of Karlowitz of 1699 Transylvania is brought under Austrian rule, but it maintains its autonomous status as a Hungarian principality. Under the census made by the Austrians in the years 1712-1713, the national structure of Transylvania was 47% Hungarians, 34% Romanians and 19% Saxons (Germans). Following the revolutions of 1848, after the reconciliation between Austria and Hungary of 1867, Transylvania becomes once again an integral part of Hungary.

Just to let You know:cool:

Originally posted by Attila the Hun
Do not get me wrong MrT, You are free to write Your AAR the way You wish (as it is pure fiction anyway), but it is very inaccurate to portray Transsylvania the way You do.

As already pointed out by others prior to me Transsylvania was an integral part of Hungary, a regional entity, which became semi-independent after the Ottoman invasion of Hungary (which splitted the Hungarian Kingdom in 3 parts)in 1541. Thus Transsylvania in 1419 is magyar both in province and state culture as portrayed correctly by Paradox.

Further info on this:

The first written references to the settlement of Romanians (who were known at that time as Wlachs) in Transylvania are from the beginning of the thirteenth century. After Hungary lost the battle of Mohács in 1526 against the Turkish Empire, the Hungarian Kingdom fell apart: Transylvania becomes a practically independent Hungarian principality, or semi-sovereign state under Turkish suzerainty. In domestic matters Transylvania was able to pass its own laws, so in 1568 for the first time in the world, religious freedom was declared for four religions, the Roman Catholic, Lutheran, Calvinist and the Unitarian churches, at the "Diet" (National Assembly) held in the Transylvanian town of Torda. The Wallachian (Romanian) Orthodox Church was not legally recognized as part of Transylvania's religions, so, as the Wallachian noblemen were integrating into the Hungarian nobility, many of them became Catholics. The Wallachians at that time did not yet develop their ethnical identity, and they did not yet formulate their demands for territorial separation and independence. Under the Turkish-Austrian Treaty of Karlowitz of 1699 Transylvania is brought under Austrian rule, but it maintains its autonomous status as a Hungarian principality. Under the census made by the Austrians in the years 1712-1713, the national structure of Transylvania was 47% Hungarians, 34% Romanians and 19% Saxons (Germans). Following the revolutions of 1848, after the reconciliation between Austria and Hungary of 1867, Transylvania becomes once again an integral part of Hungary.

Just to let You know:cool:

Originally posted by driftwood:

From the raucous debates on the General, History, and Scenario fora, and from my own reading of 15th century Balkan history, I've gathered that Transylvania was a geographic expression in the early 15th century. It was after the success of Transylvanian nobles during the general collapse of Hungary during the later Turkish invasions that Transylvania emerged as a distinct political unit, preserving to some degree its independence, while central Hungary was swallowed by Turkey and the western third was inherited by Austria.

I am also very curious of your AAR MrT. The ones spoken before me (driftwood, Hardu, Attila) already described most of the historical concerns of your ideas. I would like to add only the following:

- János Hunyadi as you described him very well was one of the greatest military leader of the 15th century in Eurpe. You just forgot to mention that up to date there has been no absolute evidence found of his real origin. Either for a magyar or romanian one. So, please do not try to dissemnite a very misleading info of his origin!

- Your knowledge of Transsylvania (in German: Siebenbürgen = seven castles) seems to be quite limited. Both driftwood and Hardu described the historical background very well, so I won't repat it. Just some more details: The principality legally surrected only in 1571 in the Treaty of Speyer. Before 1541 it was only an administrative region of Hungary without state sovereignity (issuing laws, coin minitng, own army, own diplomats, etc). Practically as a semi-autonomous state it existed after 1541 when Buda was occupied by the Turks and Ferdinand marched into the western regions of Hungary.This is the very first moment when Transsylvania can be regarded as a state.

That is why I am looking forward very much to see patch 1.04 where the bug with the eistence of Transslyvania will already be probably corrected by Paradox (it is already done in the "Age of Explorations" = 1492 scenario).

I have to say when I first go EUII and I saw Siebenbürgen, I was going what the …, and then it hit me its Translyvania. I have to say this is minor rant that the inconsistency in naming is annoying. Either anglicise them all or none of them. However I did wonder why it was put there. I have never found any mention of Translyvania (or Siebenbürgen for the matter) until the 1540’s.

Originally posted by King
I have to say when I first go EUII and I saw Siebenbürgen, I was going what the …, and then it hit me its Translyvania. I have to say this is minor rant that the inconsistency in naming is annoying. Either anglicise them all or none of them. However I did wonder why it was put there. I have never found any mention of Translyvania (or Siebenbürgen for the matter) until the 1540’s.

I am also hoping that Paradox will be able to be convinced to rename SIE to Transsylvania which is a wide-spread name for this country. And of course the historically correct timig (1540's) of her surrection.

Thanks for the responses/interest/feedback/corrections...

You know the funny thing when you start researching this little piece of land (I'm Canadian so every piece of European land seems little to me) is that there are about as many different views as to the ethnic and political make-up of the people as there are authors. :)

From what little concensus I can find, perhaps Siebenburgen should be part of Hungary at the beginning of the game and then a scripted event occurring circa 1480 should allow either (a) the independence of Siebenburgen as a vassal (or even free) or (b) a series of really big revolts and a big hit to the population.

Or perhaps not. It seems almost as though the geographic area of Transylvania actually contained two countries simultaneously. One, the "Hungarian part", consisted of the empoverished "conquered" tribes who had pre-existed in the area, as well as the early Hungarian settlers who had been induced into the region after the series of conqests in the 1200's and 1300's - they were poor and oppressed too, now.

The "second country" would be the beneficiaries of the Golden Bull who essentially co-existed with their "Hungarian" counterparts but beyond an anual tithe and military commitment, they were free to do as they please and had their own Diet, their own laws, and their own special rights that were upheld by the Hungarian Crown. Largely, though not exclusively, these were the Transylvanian Saxons.

The disparity in the plights of the two groups ultimately produced the Bobilna Uprising in 1437-38 - or that's what seems to be the popular opinion.

As to the Romanians...how about this:

extract from THE HISTORY OF TRANSYLVANIA AND THE TRANSYLVANIAN SAXONS
by Dr. Konrad Gündisch, Oldenburg, Germany

(I'm picking it up post-Roman conqest)

Dacia, however, was from the beginning a Roman outpost, lying beyond the natural borders of the empire, often limited by large rivers to the north. Already several decades after the annex the empire had to fend off barbarian attacks. The empire was able to fight off invasions of. Quadi, Markomanni, Vandals and Sarmati in the second half of the 2nd century. The fight against the Goths, who repeatedly devastated the province invading from the north since 235, placed additional strain on the already weakened empire. Emperor Aurelius acted accordingly in 271. He renunciated Dacia, withdrew from the strategically exposed province and entrenched along the Danube.

Historians differ greatly on the evacuation of Dacia. Under the influence of political considerations in Romania, proof of a historic right for Transylvania was favoured. Therefore, resettling of all inhabitants is questioned. Some historians are convinced no romanized population remained after 271 in Transylvania. Others maintain the thesis of a Dacia-Roman continuity.

After the 3rd century, a gap exists in the documented history of Transylvania, spanning several centuries. Archaeological evidence is also scarce. Therefore, there is little evidence to resolve this controversy. One can only assume that the cities and larger garrisons were evacuated and therefore the Roman urban life came to an end in Transylvania. However, it appears proven that part of the "vulgar-Latin" speaking population and mostly christianized Dacia-Roman population continued to flourish in smaller remote communities. Some finds dating from the 4th to 7th centuries (evidence of early Christianity, Roman coins, sections of Latin inscriptions like the "Donarium of Birthälm", and others) provide sufficient evidence. This population was, however, decimated through the centuries. Their wooden tools and buildings rotted and became untraceable by archaeologists.

Too often have historic facts been misinterpreted to suit a political purpose. One can only hope the discussions about the continuity or discontinuity of the population in Transylvania during the post Roman era are elevated to a scientific factual plane in the future, especially in the context of the futile historic arguments for territorial claims

Rome left the provinces of Dacia to their fate. Over a period of seven centuries Germanic, Asian and Slavic tribes entered Transylvania in succession during their migration from east to west and from north to south. Attracted also by the salt deposits necessary for animal stock, they remained for some time in Transylvania.

Prior to their withdrawal, the Romans had negotiated an agreement with the Goths, whereby Dacia remained Roman territory. A few Roman outposts remained north of the Danube. Visigoths (western Goths) settled in the southern part of Translvania, also called Tervingi (people of the forests) contrary to the Ostrogoths (eastern Goths) or Goths of the flatlands living in the Pontic steppe.

A period of political instability began lasting more than seven centuries. The Goths were able to defend their territory for approximately one century against the Gepidae, Vandals and Sarmats but could not fend off the invading Huns in 376. Pannonia became the centre during the peak of the reign under Attila (called Etzel by the Germans and Ethele by the Hungarians) (435-453). After the victory of king Ardarich over the Huns (455), German Gepidae settled for two centuries in Transylvania. The empire of the Gepidae was destroyed in 567 by the Awars and Langobards. Transylvania was now part of the Awar empire until it was destroyed by Charlemagne at the end of the 8th century.

Other people, the Petchenegs and Bulgars entered the region during the 9th and 10th centuries. Under leaders like Menoumorut, Glad or Gelou they governed in smaller and larger political units (Principalities / Knesaten and Wojwodaten).

The transit and settlement of such different and diverse peoples have formed the ethnic and cultural multiplicity in the early history of Transylvania. Their remnants, however, are sparse except for a few relics in the language and the finds in graves, or the unearthed treasures and coins which had been buried in periods of danger. It also is evidence of continued mining of precious metals and panning of gold in this region. Among the most valuable finds are the burial sites of Germanic Princes of Apahida (5th century), the treasure of Cluj-Someseni (Klausenburg-Someseni) (5th century), the Firtoscher Coins Treasure (4th -6th centuries).

The population of Transylvania during this period was surprisingly low with only 100,000 inhabitants.

More durable than the reign by the Germanic and Asian horsemen was the peaceful settlement of Slavs mostly without force during the second half of the 7th century. They were not fast advancing, conquering riding nomads, but pastoral tribes which traveled slowly and settled in the land. After the disappearance of the Germanic Goths and Gepidae they almost entirely slavicized the population of Transylvania within two centuries. The toponymy of naming towns and regions reveals this.

Because of the already described sources and the political-territorial influenced argumentation regarding the "historic right" on Transylvania, the origin of Romanians in Transylvania´s historiography remains disputed.

Historian and archaeologist Kurt Horedt, who by background is not involved with the political aspects of the scientific arguments, offers a mostly non-prejudiced and sensible compromise: Withdrawing from Dacia, the Roman empire did not remove the entire population. The remaining Romans were slavicized during the 7th century. These slavicized Romans mixed with the romanized Thracians, a people of migrating shepherds in the 9th century, originating from the Balkan peninsula. The presence of these Romanians may date to the 10th century. A later migration during the 13th century is not probable.

Now ask me if I'm confused. :) Maybe Paradox should have considerd giving Siebenburgen two cultures...or three...or four...

I should point out that I didn't intend to give the impression that Siebenburgen was an independant country in 1419...on that, all sources agree. So when I said "in 1419 it was an autonomous principality of Hungary: I will concede that I am probably overstating it. I do take issue with Attila's 1541 date, though, as multiple sources peg it at 1486. To wit:

also from Gündisch

The development of the cities, consistently supported by the Hungarian Kings Carl I Robert of Anjou (1308-1342), his son Ludwig I the Great (1342-1382), and Sigismund of Luxembourg (1387-1437), resulted in the transition from a resource to a commerce economy, and attached the grain and stock production to the European trade of goods. The first obtainable rules of a guild dated 1376 points to an advanced differentiation of the craftsmanship at a level similar to west European cities. 25 trades were organized in 19 guilds. The cities became economic and cultural centres of the country. Constitutional and legal standards of German cities were adapted, in part the city laws of Magdeburg and Iglau. New laws were developed as early as 1271, the law of "Bergrecht von der Rodenau" for example.

From the end of the 14th century on, the fortified cities were the best protection for the increasing threat by the Osman Turks. The cities withstood longer lasting sieges and hampered the advancement of larger forces. Fortified churches in villages offered protection from smaller raids. With this unique system of fortified churches and cities the Transylvanian Saxons became part of the much heralded "Antemurale Christianitatis", the advanced fortress of Christianity, protecting southeast European people from advancing Turks. After the fall of Constantinople in 1453, the mayor of Hermannstadt could write with pride that his city is "not alone a shield for the Hungarian empire but for all of Christianity".

A looming danger to undermine the privileged position came not only through the Osman threat but also from the Hungarian aristocracy. The initiative was taken mainly through the privileged patrician class consisting of Counts (Gräfen) and later by merchants and rich tradesmen and owners of mines, to politically unite the settler communities which lived within the four territorially unconnected regions: the so called Seven Chairs of the Hermannstadt province, the two chairs of the Kokel region, the Nösner and the Burzenländer districts. With reference to the document of privileges of Andrew II (Andreanischen Freibrief, "unus sit populus", einig sei die Gemeinschaft, unity within the community) they grew into an "Entirety of Saxons", the intact unity of Transylvanian Saxons, the "Sächsische Nationsuniversität" (-Universitas Saxonum, -Gesamtheit der Sachsen). It became the superior political, administrative and judicial representation of the free Germans in Transylvania, an institution similar to the alliance of cities in western Europe. This lengthy process was completed in 1486.

It created a self governing strong commonwealth whose population grew to a people with a German language, with an unique relic dialect, similar to the one in Luxembourg; a people with a special legal status within a medieval Hungarian state, with its own values of self-consciousness, experience spheres and judgmental values, and with a special sense for togetherness. The "Sächsische Nationsuniversität" (Intact Unity of Transylvanian Saxons) represented a class of free, privileged townspeople and farmers and was their representative in the Transylvanian assembly which included Hungarian aristocracy and the free Szekler defense farmers.

The word "nation" was used in reference to class at that time. The Nationsuniversität did not however, represent the Germans living on the land belonging to aristocrats just as it did not represent the people under Hungarian or Romanian bondage (who were already then the majority), just like the congregation of nobility did not represent commoners.

Therefore, the implied nationality within the word "Nationsuniversität" was primarily not an expression of nationality but of social status and discrete values, a byproduct of historic constitutional events and the result of a conscious desire to unite and defend the rights of a privileged group. There is also no relation with Council of Nations or medieval Universities. The Transylvanian Saxon students had no inhibitions to join the "natio Hungarica" according to territorial principles. The "Nationsuniversität" was therefore successful during the early recent history and stood the test of time.

However, it was a general who was born and raised in that region and in control of an army drawn largely from the seven major fortifications and regional population who defeated the Ottomans (Mehmed II I think)...so perhaps I should have said that the regional Hungarian army defeated the Ottomans. I then merely observed that if Paradox is going to separate Siebenburgen as its own country in the GC game, then I'm just surprised that János Hunyadi isn't a scripted leader for it...that's all.

I find the disparity of accounts rather interesting, however before getting too wrapped up in it all, I should point out that the one really salient point is that history and I depart from one another on March 22, 1421, so it's all academic and I really needn't worry about it too much.

So, for fun, my seven will be: the 3 Magyar culture provinces and 4 Romanian culture ones. That will be my Romania (I hope) at game's end.

Now how the heck am I gonna do it? :D

Originally posted by zsolo

I am also very curious of your AAR MrT. The ones spoken before me (driftwood, Hardu, Attila) already described most of the historical concerns of your ideas. I would like to add only the following:

- János Hunyadi as you described him very well was one of the greatest military leader of the 15th century in Eurpe. You just forgot to mention that up to date there has been no absolute evidence found of his real origin. Either for a magyar or romanian one. So, please do not try to dissemnite a very misleading info of his origin!

- Your knowledge of Transsylvania (in German: Siebenbürgen = seven castles) seems to be quite limited. Both driftwood and Hardu described the historical background very well, so I won't repat it. Just some more details: The principality legally surrected only in 1571 in the Treaty of Speyer. Before 1541 it was only an administrative region of Hungary without state sovereignity (issuing laws, coin minitng, own army, own diplomats, etc). Practically as a semi-autonomous state it existed after 1541 when Buda was occupied by the Turks and Ferdinand marched into the western regions of Hungary.This is the very first moment when Transsylvania can be regarded as a state.

That is why I am looking forward very much to see patch 1.04 where the bug with the eistence of Transslyvania will already be probably corrected by Paradox (it is already done in the "Age of Explorations" = 1492 scenario).

You know, maybe the issue is more one of my title for the AAR. I think I'll change it.

I concur...there is absolutely nothing I've read to date that indicates the ethnic/cultural origin of János Hunyadi. He did come from the Transsylvania area of Hungary though - or, again, that seems to be the vote of the vast majority of sources I've read.

I absolutely concur that my knowledge of Transsylvania is pathetic...that's why I'm trying to research enough about it to write an AAR that isn't completely out to lunch. Looks like I'm failing miserably there. So what's up with Paradox treating it as something it isn't?

Tell you what. Perhaps I should abondon this AAR and start a new one: "Wallachia - Bulwark of the West" and as long as I annex Siebenbürgen before the Ottomans come, I'll be okay. :D

Or maybe I should write about something I do extensive knowledge in...

[Edit]
Nah. I hate doing that. I've modified my thread title and changed the original post, hoping that this meets with your collective approval.

[Edit]
Drat. It took the changes to the post, but didn't change the thread title. Sorry, I tried...

Last edited:
I am looking forward to reading this AAR. Will this one be finished? ;) :D

I like AARs where people decide on certain goals instead of going to conquer/colonize the world. Currently, I play Spain, seeking a land route from Morocco to India instead of colonizing America. I wanted to make an AAR of it, but I decided to play this one for pure fun. :)

Originally posted by Sytass
I am looking forward to reading this AAR. Will this one be finished? ;) :D

I always finish my AARs. The only question is whether the game will finish me, or I it. Nothing like being a little province and trying to wrest territory from a big ally while fending off wave after wave of Sunni armies. I've survived to 1490, so all isn't lost yet.