• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Havard

Dark Power
50 Badges
Jun 28, 2001
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
smomcoa2.gif

Tuitio Fidei - Defending the Faith

Setting: The Knights of St. John is a sovereign ecclesiastical and military order. It's purpose is reflected in it's motto: Tuitio fidei et obsequium pauperum - Protection of faith and service to the poor.

The Knights will allways conduct it's matters in an honorable manner, and can never condone heathens or heretics. This is reflected through these rules:
  • The Knights will never attack a Christian country (but will defend themself to death if attacked...).
  • The Knights will always honor their alliances (and expect their allies to do the same...).
  • The Knights have no tolerance to heathens (and very little to schismatic Christians...).
  • If possible the Knights will claim the title of Sole Defender of the Catholic Faith (and act as such).

Yellow text (as this) is explanatory text referring to gameplay issues.

Blue text is the narrators (think of it as a historic movie ;))
Italic text is dialogue.

Options: Playing The Knights of St. John in the GC (normal/normal).
Version: Latest beta.

Preface

The Order of St. John is generally considered as being founded in the year of our Lord 1099, when blessed Gérard organized the hospice of St. John in Jerusalem into a hospital to accomodate the survivors of the first crusade. The Order's purpose was to nurse the sick and wounded of the crusades, and to give shelter to pilgrims to the Holy Land. Grateful Princes and Lords who had been healed and helped by the Brothers bestowed portions of their estates on the Order enabling it to establish its future Commanderies.

The need of armed protection for the sick and the pilgrims and later for the defense of the Christian states in the Levant against Muslim attacks, induced the confraternity of the Hospital of St. John to assume military-chivalric functions in addition to its religious-hospitaller tasks. The Order constructed great fortresses at vulnerable points in the Kingdom of Jerusalem and launched its own military campaigns in the defense of Christendom. The Order became the first Western standing army and the first organization of chivalry.

On 4th July 1187 the Christian Army including the Knights of St. John was completely destroyed in the disastrous Battle of Hattin by Saladin. "Among the prisoners", King reports, "were 230 Knights of St. John and the Temple. Every knight was given the chance of saving his life by renouncing Christianity and becoming a Moslem. Not a single man of them flinched before the ordeal, and two days after the battle the glorious crown of martyrdom was their reward." They were executed on the slopes of the Horns of Hattin, where eleven centuries before, Christ had preached the Sermon on the Mount.

Following the fall of the Christian crusader states, the Order had to relocate. They first moved to Acre, then in 1291 to Cyprus. On 15 August, 1310, under the leadership of Grand Master Foulques de Villaret, the Knights of St. John captured the island of Rhodes in spite of the Greek emperor, Andronicus II, to form a territorial state. From this base in the Aegean sea the Order continued their fight agaist the heathens.

In the year of our lord 1419 the Order was under the leadership of it's 34th Grandmaster, Philibert de Naillac.

Last edited:
Looking forward to this one Havard. I like your ground rules. One small nit. The blue on blue hurts the eyes... :(

I too am looking forward to this as I happen to have picked the Knights as my next country. Now I'll have to go to my backup plan.

I definitely agree with LD. How about trying sky blue instead if you like blue because this one really is hard on the eyes... In fact, they really ought to remove blue and royal blue from the selectable colours.

Originally posted by MrT
I definitely agree with LD. How about trying sky blue instead if you like blue because this one really is hard on the eyes... In fact, they really ought to remove blue and royal blue from the selectable colours.

Better? you should have seen the green color I tried first :rolleyes:
(Is there a palette somewhere?)

Much much better.

Hey! I object to that green colour comment. I happen to think it's very fitting. :D

Yeah ! Go for them ! KILL THE HEATHEN CRAP ! RAPE THEIR WOMEN, BURN THEIR VILLAGES ! May the TRUTH be shown to their misguided souls !

Avocado

Superb intro, Havard. True or not (I wouldn't know :eek:), it makes for a great story. And now, on with the vicious and brutal massacre... err, the righteous and enlightened conversion of the heathen!

To show your commitment to the other Catholic states, will you be sending regular state gifts to them? Y'know, subsidizing their struggles against the heathen, and all that.

I can just see it:

Father Luigi struggled to lug the two heavy chests up the long hallways of the Papal palace.

"What in the name of the Holy Father are you doing?" asked an incredulous Cardinal Mario.

"Oh, this? <huff huff> Just the Knights' semi-annual <huff> donation to the <huff> Church ..."

driftwood

They're not that rich initially you know...long in talent short in cash and manpower...

Originally posted by MrT
They're not that rich initially you know...long in talent short in cash and manpower...

Extract from the records of Henri de Venelles, Treasurer of the Knights of St. John (1397-1436):

A.D. 1419
(...)
Which in sum constitutes our income this year: 10.28d

Yeah right - not many gifts from the start of... ;)

A finally we will see an AAR with all those magnificient leaders that the knights have. Small invincible armies are going to smash those heathens.:D

Philibert de Naillac
The 34th Grandmaster of the Order of St. John (1396-1421).

We arrive at Rhodes in the beginning of the year of our Lord 1419. Philibert de Naillac is in his 24th year as Grandmaster of the Order. He is a veteran of the battlefields of the Levant, and is driven by two strong wishes: Liberation of the Holy Land, and destruction of the heathen Turks!

The Ottoman Turks had since long expanded into the Balkan, and in 1394 AD the Ottoman Sultan Bayezid had proclaimed himself Sultan of Rome to spite the Christians. When the Pope arranged an offensive in 1396 to answer the Sultan, de Naillac had just been elected Grandmaster and eagerly supported the joint Papal forces. The campaign was a total disaster and the force was almost completely annihilated by the Ottoman forces at the Battle of Nicopolis, the Grandmaster narrowly escaping alive.

It was not without some delight he witnessed Tamerlane's assault on the Ottomans, and their devastating defeat in the battle of Ankara on July 28 1402. Some delight, but it was also with some concern he thought of the horde of horsemen from the east. The concern shifted to relief upon the death of the king of the hordes, and the following discord and civil war between the Ottoman pretenders, greatly weakening his foes.

In 1419 the Knights held the Island of Rhodes, which yielded a very minor annual income of 10d. The Order could easily support an army of 9000 men and a navy of 11 galleys.

(Yep - that's it. 9k army/11 navy support limit... add to this the whopping annual income from Rhodes of 10d. As mentioned I have no tolerance for the muslims (slider all to the left) while the Catholic slider is all the way to the right. This leaves Orthodox in the middle.

The DPs are allready maxed at aristocracy, quality and a 9 on serfdom. Narrowminded (3) and slightly defensive and naval (4). First DP move is +1 offensive.
)

The Order have an understanding (i.e. an alliance) with the Mameluke rulers in Egypt which give them access to the Holy Land, and provided them with the possibility to focus on the Turks first...

The Beachead

Juan Almeira walked up the street towards the Castle. It was a chilly january evening, and he had pulled his cloak tight around himself when he left the comfort of the main room of the Inn. He had been discussing his experiences from his latest mission - a five month voyage with the Order's navy - with a fellow brother. All members of the Order had to serve a part of their time at sea to gain promotion, and he had been on many of these missions before, but at this time of the year he admitted to himself that he preferred to stay ashore. Preferrably on horse-back.

Almeida was still a young man, but experienced. As a younger son of a Catalan noble he had joined the Order at the age of 16. It seemed a good alternative to a dull career as a clergyman, which seemed to be his only option if he stayed home. He had served with the order for 11 years, mostly with the navy, fighting off corsairs attacking the pilgrims, and occationally raiding a rich Egyptian galley.

As he passed through the gates of the castle and crossed the courtyard he thought of the Grandmaster. He was growing old, and was known to be quite bad-tempered and irascible at times... He hoped he was in a good mood tonight...

When Almeida entered the large war-room he noticed that most of the council was present: The Marshal, Grand Hospitaller, Grand Chancellor, Grand Bailiff, the Turcoplier and of course the Grandmaster was there, while the Admiral was away on a mission.

The Marshal, Sir Jean de Villaret, looked up and addressed him:
- Ah, I see young Almeida is here. Have you settled in after your voyage?
- Well... not yet, but...
- Good! you will soon be on the move again
he said with a grin, and glance at the others.

The Grandmaster spoke up:
- You will start preparing tonight. I want you to take command of a company of turcopoles when we go agains the Turks.
- The Turks? What is happending?
- We will move agains Antalya within the month. We have been preparing for months now, and need any able men we can summon. WE have just recieved word that the Ottomans are fighting the Candars in the north, while Karaman are in chaos (-3 stab). It is imperative that we strike fast.

Almeida got exited. Finally - The Grandmaster are moving a gains the heathen Turks! It was not a secret that the Grandmaster hated the Turks, and he was not surprised that they would strike now in the aftermath of the civil war among them.

He quickly received his orders from the Turcoplier, Sir Henry Mandeville, and went out to start his preparations. It didn't seem to be much rest tonight...

In April 1419 the Knights of St. John declared war on the Beylik of Teke, and launced soon after an attack on the strategic port of Antalya. The Knights fielded an army of 9000 men, whereof 200 where heavy knights, 1800 were lighter turcopoles and the rest, about 7000 men, were men-at-arms and crossbowmen. They were surprised by an early attack from the forces of `Uthman Beg, and after a brave stand they retreated to reorganise and launch a counter. Colonel Almeida led his company of turcopoles in a flank manouver to disable the turkish archers that had caused many losses in the initial attack. At one moment it seemed as if the counter had succeeded but new reinforcements from Antalya caused the first campaign to a halt, and the invading army retreated from the field. Returning to Rhodes was a mere 5500 men. The rest were slain by the men of Teke.

The defeated army returned to Rhodes in spring. While the battle was lost the war was by no means over yet! A new attack was planned - New recruits, mostly greeks from the islands, were drilled as men-at-arms, and the Admiral had just arrived with the rest of the fleet, bringing a good 2000 men.

When the fleet again saw the shores by Antalya they were met by a small fleet of Teke galleys, but these were no match for the fast Rhodian galleys. Soon the second invasion force was disembarking on the shores of Antalya. This time they soon got the advantage in the battle following the first meeting with the Turks. The heavy knights under Sir Jean de Villaret wreaked havoc in their lines, and they were soon pushed back. Thus, in the winter of 1420 the knights could initiate a sige of Antalya. The roaming remains of the armies of Teke were hunted down and disposed off in a serie of short campaigns in the spring and summer of 1420. Luckily it seemed as if the Ottomans had no interrest in joining the war.

Unfortunately, the Grandmaster would never see the outcome of the siege of Antalya. The winter of 1421 he caught an illness in his chest, and less than a month later he died.

Interesting choice for your first attack Harvard. Still no Turks in sight? I'm having a go at them right now as Venice and I've noticed that they don't seem to field the large armies that they did in EU I. Good luck and well written as always.

Joe

Good start. I like the embellishments with the troop types. Gives it a nice flavour. I'm assuming the Grandmaster's death was scripted?

Nice update. +1 Offensive eh?? You are aware that pretty much all their events give them + defensive?? Not much idea to move that slider in my opinion.

Originally posted by Lord Durham
Good start. I like the embellishments with the troop types. Gives it a nice flavour. I'm assuming the Grandmaster's death was scripted?

The death is scripted yes. From my research before I started I found out that IRL he died later in 1421, but since I got a new Grandmaster on Jan 1st I had to go with that. The different troop types is a need to explain how I can have 2-3000 cav. in the 1420ies, while they IRL had 2-300 knights at this time.

Idiotboy: Yep. Offensive. I haven't looked at the event file, so I wouldn't know ;) Anyway. I can need the extra moral agains the Ottomans... and the rebels... :D

Sharur: I haven't decided what I will do yet IF I can get a significant territory. Maybe I'll place it under the Holy See (with appropriate protection from the Knights ;)), or I'll reinstate the King of Jerusalem (also with appropriate protection)...

Last edited:
But setting it free as a vassal would mean your manpower stays low, and you need manpower when you want to attack the Turks, I guess. Also, you could need the money...

Very good start, I'm very interested in what you can achieve with the Knights.

Yes indeed. I am very much looking forward to the Rhodean campaign to rid the world of the heathen. Interesting that you chose Teke as your first target, but I suppose it has the dual advantage of being a port (meaning it's much faster and safer to ferry in troops) and putting you in a nice position to curb the Ottoman expansion.

Just curious, in your list of do/don't at the beginning, you don't mention whether you are going to try to keep you BB at/below any particular level. Are you worried about it at all?

I also echo LD's praise of the embellishments and am liking the overall flavour.

*clicks "subscribe"*

BB? Bah! :D

Sorcerer- while it wouldn't be good for the country from a gameplay standpoint, it would be more realistic, and more challenging to boot...

MrT, you did know that when you post on a thread, it automatically subscribes, didn't you? ;)