• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(6777)

Field Marshal
Dec 10, 2001
The following is a collection of verse recently unearthed during a structural upgrade after an IRA bomb blast took out half the wall of the Ulster cathedral. During the course of the excavation – as a preliminary to repairing the structure to make it sound again – a small chest was discovered that contained a curious collection of scrolls.

It has long been acknowledged that the origin of the limerick lies in Ireland – or Eire as it used to be called – but no one could have guessed that it was so early on in the country’s history. These new findings, however, clearly demonstrate that this art – a simple verse in A-A-B-B-A form – were alive and well as early as the mid fifteenth century. Further, it is surprising to note that many of the materials in this collection are obituaries or of a political nature. The style is simple, usually showing the early short-phrase precursor to the true limerick, but the pattern is almost universally of a kind and indicative of the people’s sense of humour.

It is most unfortunate that the author (or authors – though this is unlikely) of these ditties must remain forever lost in the mist of time, for none of these vellums is signed. In fact, it is more probable that a monk transcribed them from common rural verse sometime between 1445 and 1460, though this is suspect and not subject to rigorous verification. Nevertheless I present them here for the interested historian or hobbyist, translated as closely as possible to the original meaning and rhyme into modern English. Carefull attention to inflection should be taken, as all of the source materials were in gaelic.

For those less well versed in the history of Eire, where possible I have postulated a date as to when I think an event it describes most likely occurred, as well as any pertinent notes I am aware of that relate to the time, but any such should annotations should be considered “educated guesswork” at best.

If a reader is familiar with any similar “Eire-ish” materials that may exist in other collections around the world, I urge you to make them known by transcribing them into the empty spaces beyond my own.

The Author

VOLUME 1

There once was a gaelic domain,
That desperately searched for a name.
But none could be found,
Although many abound
So “Eire” lords were all called the same.

c.1419
It is worth pointing out that in the earlier parts of the nation’s development, all army and navy commanders were called “Lord Eire” as a token of honour – regardless of what their name might have been prior to that. As a result, all references to such personages are untraceable to exact events as there is a long list of “Eires” who served in both a military and a naval capacity.

King Eóghan II mac Néill Óg
Was known to have lived in a bog.
And cloth, it is saíd,
Was all he could trade
And fish was the dish on his log.

c.1419
In gaelic, “log” is slang for a dining table”. Eóghan II mac Néill Óg ruled from January 1st 1419 through 1421, then was temporarily unseated until regaining the throne eleven years later. It is believed that he was the first to encourage merchants to leave the emerald isle to trade on the international markets. Unfortunately, the entire country’s economy consisted of fish (which no one particularly wanted) and a little cloth.

An alliance with France was a boon,
Along with the Scots and Bourboun
For the prize it was Meath
But was swept underneath
When the froggy surrendered too soon.

c1421
Eire is known to have entered into a pre-existing alliance with France on May 1st 1420. The other allies were France, Auvergne, Bourbonnais (known as the Bourboun to the Eire), Provence, Scotland and Lorraine who were already at war with England, Brittany, Burgundy and Aragon. It is believed that Eóghan II wished to do this in order to make the quiet acquisition of Meath, a territory on the isle that he believed to be rightfully Eire’s, while the armies of England’s Henry V were otherwise preoccupied. This grand strategy failed, however, when England and her allies forced France to surrender in January of 1421 before a separate peace could be negotiated – even though there is evidence that the Eire army had captured the provincial capital. Separate sources in the Tower of London Archives indicate that the ambassadors from Eire were intentionally snubbed by Henry as he knew the war was drawing to a close.

Domhnall the eleventh I’m told,
Had many a lass in his hold.
He sent them all ‘round,
To all o’ Europe’s men, crowned,
And now they’re all held in cuckold.

c.1422-1430
Domhnall XI spent a large amount of time marrying off his various sisters, daughters, sons, etc. throughout the various European countries in an attempt to gain both favour with these nations as wells as valuable military surveillance as the court in Eire was largely blind to the events transpiring elsewhere in the world. It may also be that he was looking for support should Eóghan make a reappearance as the plot to murder him failed and he escaped into the countryside. Amongst the known “placements” for his relatives were Burgandy, Brittany, Aragon, Navarra, Gelre, Freisland, Oldenburg, Bremen, Holstein, Mecklenburg, Genoa, Austria, Savoy, Venice and most importantly, perhaps, France, Portugal, Castille, and Naples. It is a source of curiosity amongst scholars how he could possibly have so many eligible close relatives and there is some speculation that he recruited other nobles’ offspring to play the part as the needs arose. One of these has been documented: a young lass was sent to France in 1430 who not only was not his daughter (as advertised) but was also not a virgin. It is believed that the subsequent events and Charles VII’s refusal to negotiate may have stemmed from dissident nobles having leaked the details of the plot at French court – though of course this may not be true as by that time Domhnall was no longer on the throne of Eire.

Ol’ Hank must be losing his mind,
For all of his troops you will find
Either crossing a moat
Or seasick - afloat
To none of this Domhnall is blind.

c. 1421-1431
There is no doubt, obviously, that this verse originated sometime during Domhnall XI’s reign – probably later rather than earlier. Other extant fragments show that the monarch was keeping careful note of the number of English troops stationed in Meath at almost all times via a very advanced “runner” messenger system. While the English were never at war with Eire during his ten-year tenure, Domhnall recorded more than a dozen instances of a large English force (between 8000 and 12,000 soldier) landing in Meath, only to depart again within several months leaving only a light garrison behind to man the ramparts of the minimal defences. This was a source of amusement to the king when there were few other such sources.

The ships of the navy are small
The masts of the ships they are tall
A galley of five
Could barely survive
In the still sea, let ‘lone in a squall.

c. 1422
Eire had no navy that we know of in 1421 when Domhnall XI took the throne. During the first several years of his reign he commissioned no less than 5 vessels; but the economy of Eire was such that he could ill afford the full-blown warships commonly forming the bulk of the navies of his neighbours. Instead, he was forced to settle for galleys which were unsuitable for deep waters where the potential for storms or large waves was great.

There once was a bailiff of Ulster
Whose boots got too big for his ulcer
The people, he found
Didn’t want him around
The taxes collected to bolster.

c. 1427
I found a reference in the national archives to the first instance of a bailiff being promoted to a tax collector. After a year’s training he assumed his post in January 1427 in the capital province, Ulster. Given the date of the other inclusions in these verses, I would assume that this one is in reference to this noble. As usual, his name was Lord Eire.

There once was a king without friends,
Who lacked dipl’matic means to his ends.
Alliance expired
And now he was mired
And unable to make his amends.

c. 1431
It is believed that the alliance between Eire and France (and the various other inclusions) expired in January 1431 and that all available diplomats were still on their way back from various remote parts of Europe at the time, thus Domhnall XI was powerless to negotiate its extension. Records indicate that subsequent attempts to join the new French alliance with Castille, Portugal and Naples were not well received – possibly due to the aforementioned fraudulent royal marriage – and this left Eire dangerously at the mercy of England. In desperation, Eire eventually contracted to enter Scotland’s alliance with Friesland and Helvetia.

<Volume 2 to follow in the next few days>

I am honored to be the first to reply to this masterpiece. Poetry and EU2... I should've guessed it was coming... Gotta try some myself.

Great job. Liked the part about IRA and poetry itself.

I am honored to be outdone only by the great nalivayko in my haste to add praise and accolades to your efforts here. Great work and very amusing. This should get a prize for originality to build the AAR around poems; although, I may add, it is not the first instance that poetry has been used in AARs.

Bravo! :)

I echo nalivayko, Sgt. Bloomfield in praising your effort MrT. An original idea and well done. To bad you chose Ireland. I think it's one of the most difficult countries to play.:( Looking forward to the next post.

Joe

A limerick AAR! Great! And I thought your stage play approach could not be surpassed in ingenuity. :D

Hey thanks folks.

It's a lot harder than I thought. I was just musing in the car on my way home from work one day (it's an hour and change from the office to my house) and came up with the idea that it would be fun to do an AAR in limerick style. Little did I realize it's devilishly difficult to use it to impart information as well as provide entertainment while staying within the five-line format. Naturally, once I'd decided to do it in limerick form, I just had to play Eire for the source material.

The game completed, I began to work on the verses. It took me quite a while to craft those ones I've posted so far, and when I finished them I went back to read them (after sleeping) and realized that no one would have the faintest idea what I was writing about and the thread would get whisked away to the OT forum.

That's why I've resorted to turning it into a "companion's guide" so I can provide the annotations that actually relate the AAR part of the intent.

Other concessions: the meter is all over the place and I've taken liberties with apostophes...and I finally admitted defeat and cheated with the "gaelic log=dining table" BS but look at it this way: Eóghan II mac Néill Óg doesn't rhyme with mugh does it? And of those options, which one contributes to the communication that I start with 3 fish provinces and one cloth? Log's as good as it gets, I'm afraid. Too bad Ulster wasn't "naval supplies" instead.

If any of you happen to feel like giving this a whirl, it is well known :rolleyes: that the peoples of Eire liked to keep track of the goings-on elsewhere in the world and would make up ditties about them too. If you feel inspired to contribute I only ask that:

1 - it be in limerick form or as close as you can possibly get it.

2 - it relate to an event or whatever that occurs prior to 1445 (for reasons that will soon become apparent)

3 - you add an author's annotation similar to the ones I've been doing

4 - you use the same format: bold light green text for the limerick followed by the approximate date (if required) and the author's notes in italics. If you do more than one, place *** in between.

Try it. You might like it; and then this thread can expand into a world-wide companion. The second edition could cover the second half of the century, etc.

Early Burgundian Verse: A recently discovered fragment

There was an old Duke in Burgundy
Who was very fond of Bourbon, he
Drank quite a lot of it
Had a thought in a drunken fit
And he hired mercenaries for Burgundy.

The Strangled Virgin was crowded with men
They all came to serve under famous Captain
There were Scherer, Piet, Seraphim,
Wee Wallace and Scotsmen with him,
Too many to mention all knights and hired men.

The mercenaries had fun, the Frenchmen they died
Until Wee Willy Wallace committed suicide.
When de Bloomfielde sought solace,
Playing bagpipes for dead Wallace,
The warriors, women and beasts were all terrified.

Hearing it Alberic knew that the end it was near,
Acopolypse and the Seventh Trombone they did hear
Grown men wept and they cried,
The vermin for miles around died,
And Jean Sans Peur for the first time knew fear.

c. 1419
Modern historical scholarship to this day struggles to assess the emergence and significance of mercenaries in the late medieval and early Renaissance periods. While firmly established by the mid sixteenth century and the English War of the Roses, mercenaries are believed to have been employed much earlier, as the feudal system of warfare went into decline. Sporadic legends and historical sources, such as the "Free Company Annals" have been regarded as apocryphal at best, as forgery at worst. The recent discovery of the Middle English stanzas reproduced above will mandate a re-evaluation of the prevalent view and the known sources. Among these sources are documents relating to early Burgundian history and 16th century Italian Papal history. In particular, the long-discredited romantic view that there may have been a "Free Company" as a continuous body, which can be traced throughout the period, will gain in currency once more. An excerpt of what later came to be known as the Free Company Annals can be found here.

Preliminary research suggests that the episode described in somewhat cryptic and untutored verse above refers to the siege of Orleans, which was undertaken (according to some sources) in early 1419 by the combined forces of the Duke of Burgundy, Jean Sans Peur, and the English king, Henry V. The verses, recently discovered in a disused lavatory in a Dijon brothel, may be among the earliest examples of vernacular poetry in Southern Europe.

Last edited:
Bravo.

Excellent! It's nice to know that there are other scholars out there who take their work very, very seriously. I must offer my condolences as to the location that you were forced to "penetrate" to retrieve such a valuable text. :D

No sacrifice is too great in the name of science, knowledge, and the advancement of humankind. I usually don't get to do as much "field research" as I would like, but I am sure you know the feeling, my dear colleague. :)

The Lenape Limerick

There was a clan called Lenape
Who lived beyond the sea
Around them they saw lands
They wished within their hands
These lands would not be free

First sons and daughters
Crossed the calm waters
And along the south coast
They built lodges and boast
That such were works of farmers

The trade centers they freed
Where they traded fur and weed
Then they added northern grain
And thus grew their reign
With great territorial greed

Soon they had settled the seaboard
And then the chief was very bored
They moved inland a bit
To the Iroquois border they fit
To have all the land they could hoard

c. 1468
This fragment of the "Epic Lyrical History of the Delaware Nation" dates from the mid-fifteenth century, and chronicles the early expansion of the Delaware nation, who at that time called themselves the Lenape. According to other historical sources, in this period their armies defeated several smaller North American tribes, and their settlers built colonies in many lands surrounding their ancestral lands, which located in what are today the Delaware and Manhattan provinces - first to the south, then inland and to the north.

By 1468, they had forged an alliance with the Iroquois, and occupied the entire space between the Iroquois and the Atlantic Ocean with colonies and cities. The province of Roanoke was declared civilized to the same level as the Delaware homelands by the winter of 1452, and Chesapeake and Susquehanna provinces followed in the later part of the decade. In the 1460s, the Delaware expanded their coloial holdings to include the modern provinces of Powhatan, Catskill, Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Adirondak, which all had populations of approximately 200 Delaware by 1468.

The stanza beginning "the trade centers they freed" probably refers to the fact that a vast majority of the commerce between the North American tribes, at this time, took place on the island of Manhattan, which was controlled by the Lenape, as it had access to the sea, inland by river, and was well connected to the north-south coastal trails.

The King of the new Kingdom of Spain
Thanks to the Pope he was in great pain
For the Portugese sailors
Had just signed the waivers
So that Spain could not harvest the cane.

c. 1443
This verse refers to the Treaty of Tordesillas, written by Pope Eugene IV in 1443. Originally, Eugene had intended to divide the new world into a Portugese and Castillian half, following the successful voyages of Bartholomew Diaz to the Cape of Good Hope and Vasco de Gama to the Caribbean. However, thanks to a dispute that had arisen between the Papacy and the Spanish monarchy over clerical appointments during the unification of Castille and Aragon, Eugene decided to grant the entire new world to Portugal.

There once was a King of the Great Bear
Who indeed was covered in much hair
Having thrown off the Horde
He drove on with his sword
Into the great mercantile lair

c. 1445
Not long before this document was written, the Duchy of Moscow, under the leadership of Vassily II, threw off their overlords, the Mongols, and for the first time in centuries could rule themselves independently. Soon after the successful rebellion, Vassily led the invasion and conquest of the merchant duchy of Novogorod, establishing Muscovy as the pre-eminent power in Russia.

MrT, this is fabulous :D

Last edited:
Originally posted by Sharur
MrT, this is fabulous :D
Only because others like you, Sheridan and Bloomfield (and I sincerely hope additonal scholars who have yet to do some SERIOUS (?)research into their archives) are willing to participate. It's fun isn't it? :)

My next volume of Eire posts are in the offing...I'm in a rare mood tonight!!!!

Champa's sorrow

Le Loi, known as "Great Barracuda"
Led armies that conquered for Buddha.
After one such onslaught,
Champa's king thought
"Dishonor my pact, well, I should'a!

c.1429
This verse refers to the twin difficulties faced by Champa - a once-small and once-poor kingdom in Southeast Asia - early in its recorded history. First, its people believed that they were the only Hindu nation in the world - coreligionists were only discovered after arduous exploration. Buddhist nations - or the ocean - surrounded Champa on all sides and the author refers to this feeling of isolation.

Champa's alliance with one such nation - Cambodia - seemed to allay these fears, but led directly to the "onslaught" the author mentions - led by the second difficulty. In 1429 Cambodia declared war on a neighbor of both nations, the Dai Viet. Champa honored this "pact" and, to its horror, Dai Viet's military genius Le Loi turned on Champa first. The speed and ferocity of his attacks led the author to compare him with the barracuda, with which his nation's fishermen were quite familiar.

It is known from other sources that Champa was somehow able to extricate itself from this war without losing any territory, and this accounts for the rather light tone of the author.

Couldn't resist... :D An outstanding start MrT.

Volume 2

VOLUME 2

James One was a bonny young lad
In tartan and kilt he was clad
de Baviere liked his style
And Domhnall liked his wile
‘Twixt all three and alliance was had.

c. 1431
This fragment almost certainly refers to the fact that Domhnall was unable to rejoin France’s alliance, though why this might be he was unsure, and then cast about for a strong neighbour to help protect Eire from England. At the time, 12,000 English troops were on manoeuvre in Meath, reportedly under the leadership of none other than Beauchamp, and this spurred Domhnall on to join James I of Scotland’s existing alliance with Jacqueline de Baviere of Friesland. It was shortly after this that Helvetia was invited by James I into the alliance, and Lorraine joined a year or so later.

Eóghan is back on the throne
Though how, it is largely unknown.
To still further his line
He plies princes with wine
And makes in-laws he’ll never bemoan.

c. 1432
This piece almost certainly dates from 1432 at a time when the mood was light in Eire. Eóghan II returned to the thrown by means of a brilliantly staged coup on new year’s day 1432. With the help of a highly skilled minister (who is remembered by the predictable name of “Eire”) he managed to engineer four marriages with assorted royalty in his first year. This included his own unexpected marriage to the daughter of Paul Bellizer von Russdorf of the Teutonic Order. The other recorded weddings involved personages of Pommern, Poland, and Lithuania. A similar offering was declined by Sweden’s Nationalregenter.

Our friends from Helvetia are sly
The rich lands of Naples they did eye.
When they tendered their war
To ensure it’s no chore
They invited most all their ally.

c.1433
It is recorded that Eire declared war on Naples in July of 1433, but other documentation found in the archives in Muirhead indicated that this was only done to preserve their newly formed alliance with Scotland. Helvetia, it seems, had taken a fancy to Naples’ territory and sought to wrest some of it from their grasp. Scotland, Friesland, and Lorraine, as well as Eire, all agreed to support their ally – in spirit at least. There is no indication of any troops are ships being sent in support of this effort from any of those nations though it is possible that Lorraine may have sent some financial aid. Ironically, it is insignificant actions such as these that can explode into wide-spread large-scale wars and have long-lasting repercussions.

Our armies they march here and there
And assume a new haughty air
Their swords they are sharp
Bodies, well fed on carp
And seemingly laugh without care

c. 1434
This stanza almost certainly refers to a major technological advancement in the production and distribution of weaponry in the military that was implemented in January 1434 and made the army of Eire a greater force to be reckoned with. The reference to carp seems to be a reinforcement of the primary trade good that Eire had to offer at the time – fish.

The walls of Connaught are quite thick
That masons did build brick by brick.
Another in Leinster
A third one in Munster
You’d think that would sure do the trick.

c. 1434-37
There is frequent historical debate as to when the rudimentary fortifications were completed in the three provincial capitals. Ulster had been long fortified, but with the escalating conflicts on the mainland it is known that Eóghan II ordered the construction of similar defences in Leinster, Munster and Connaught. There are no definite records as to when these were completed, though. Connaught and Munster’s were probably finished by late 1435 but a temporary shortage of suitable stone in the quarries (or possibly a lack of cash in the royal treasury to pay for it) likely delayed the Leinster castle until the middle of 1437. It is certain, however, that all three were definitely fully garrisoned before 1438 since there is a notation in the tax statements for January of that year of a write-down against capital expenditures.

While the people of Eire obviously considered these to be great structures, it should be noted that by today’s standards they represented only minimal fortifications at best and could house no more than perhaps 2500 men. Siege technology being what it was in those days, it is unlikely that they could withstand a year of constant pressure from even the most poorly equipped enemy.

The pleas are most dire from Lorraine
It seems France desires their domain
Their allies agree
To try to go see
If their help it might lessen their pain.

c. 1435
The dating on this is virtually assured. Records held in the Louvre and supported by additional documentation in Barcelona clearly show that Charles VII of France declared war on Lorraine on 20 March 1435, with the full weight and support of her alliance (Castile, Portugal and Navarra). The plight of Lorraine was dire indeed and she called upon her allies to defend her, all of whom agreed although already involved in the conflict with Naples. Given the distance involved, and the otherwise very friendly relations with the French monarchy to date, Eóghan II did not realize the peril he faced. He would certainly come to regret this before a decade had passed.

Re: Volume 2

Originally posted by MrT

It is certain, however, that all three were definitely fully garrisoned before 1438 since there is a notation in the tax statements for January of that year of a write-down against capital expenditures.
Amazing historical sources! Groundbreaking insights into the history of Eire which suggest, contrary to what might in the past have been assumed, that in 15th-century Ireland the art of accounting and bookkeeping was much more advanced than the art of poetry. ;) :D

Remarkable! Excellent!

King Friedrich of Saxony did plead
With all in the Alliance who would heed
Come fight by my side
And help me turn the tide
And win the war with great deeds.

First Anton of Oldenburg did say
That he would indeed like to play
But first he must ask
If his armies were up to the task
And then sent his armies out to slay.

Next Karl of Sweden was heard to yell
That he would send his enemies to hell
But first he wanted to know
Of the chances of snow down below
Can anybody find a snowball in hell?

Last of all came The Netherlands
That blessed land of eggs and hams
They said they would come
As they beat on their drums
And then proudly marched around the grandstand.

c.1437
The dating for this the first major engagement for the newly formed Alliance (soon the become The Great Alliance) is supported by documents as well as monuments found in the various countries that took part in those early heady years. Indeed there are still guided tours to the battlefield that one can take throughout the summer months. (Lunch not included) As one can see Oldenburg proved to be a steady ally while Sweden showed a reluctance to venture beyond the snow line. The Netherlands while eager to join sadly never managed to find the battlefield. It is even rumored that Friedrich I extended his hand in friendship to Eoghan of Erie but that blessed union was not to be.

There's a kind of "cleansing", "uplifting", "happy" feeling when you write these isn't there? Thanks to all who are giving it a whirl.

Originally posted by Sgt. Bloomfield
Amazing historical sources! Groundbreaking insights into the history of Eire which suggest, contrary to what might in the past have been assumed, that in 15th-century Ireland the art of accounting and bookkeeping was much more advanced than the art of poetry.
I was surprised, too, when I came across this reference. It's amazing what insights a little research can bring :D

Volume 3

VOLUME 3

Helvetia is now in a bind
Embroiled in more wars, so we find.
For the Germanies’ stance
And their forces advance
They ask for our help if we mind.

c. 1435
In the Wurtemburg archives there is a record of their aggression against Helvetia which was formally declared on the 29th of May , 1435. Along with her allies Austria and Bavaria, they marched quickly and were able to subdue the Helvetian army rapidly, in spite of Scotland, Eire, Lorraine and Friesland all promising their help in trying to defend their ally. They now all found themselves in three separate wars with some of the mightiest powers in Europe – France, Austria, Bavaria, Castile, Portugal, Navarra, Naples, and Wurtemburg.

Within months, Mecklenburg agreed to pay 30,000 ducats to Bavaria in order to remove them from the war. Within another 18 months Austria, too, received her surrender and cleaned out the remaining 1,000 ducats form the state treasury. The final outcome of the war is mysteriously missing from the archives, though there is a reference to Eire and Wurtemburg agreeing to a cessation of hostilities effective June 1st, 1438.

Lorraine found herself in a mess
By France she did suffer annex
The peril stayed grave
Her allies must still save
Themselves from King Charles’ duress

c. 1436
France wasted little time in prosecuting their war on Lorraine and succeeded in militarily annexing the country on March 27th, 1436. This left the former allies of the now-dead country in a dangerous position as Charles VII showed no willingness to return to peace with any of them. French supply requisition logs provide the details of a multitude of separate expenditures in providing for bath naval and military expeditions to all four of these countries.

Perhaps buoyed by the French monarch’s aggressive stance, Castile, Portugal and Navarra adopted similar stances and began to make similar plans with regards to punishing the honourable support that Friesland, Scotland, Helvetia and Eire had proffered.

There have been many conflicting opinions as to the diplomatic policies and efforts made by Eóghan II. It is often speculated that by taking a position of humility at this time, Eire might have engineered a withdrawal from the balance of the war. Other indications, however, are that Eóghan did indeed try to extract his country from the mess, but that his coffers lacked the necessary funds to appeal to the greedy Charles VII. Having little other choice, Eóghan ordered the conscription of a large number of soldiers that almost bankrupted the king, and stripped the available work force barren, but did increase the size of the standing army to 12,000 infantry and 4,000 cavalry. We shall provide evidence of this in several verses which appear near the end of this collection.

Naples and Eire fight no more
Though neither did land on their shore
To cease being foes
They let status quos
Be the order they set out before

c. 1438
This proved to be a particularly difficult verse to translate from old Gaelic due to some obscure rules about conjugation and participles that would interest only the most perverse lingual historian. I shall spare you a detailed account as to how I arrived at this declension and merely ask that you keep in mind that it actually makes perfect sense in the original tongue.

As to the meaning of the verse, it is believed that relations between Eire and Naples returned to a “status quo” or white peace due to neither having in any way acted upon one another in some years. It was something of a “let bygones be bygones” approach and took no direct diplomatic involvement on either side. Certainly by the middle of 1438 neither country considered itself to be still at war with the other.

Subsequent events might question these conclusions as in March of 1439, Naples joined the alliance with France, Castile, Navarra and Portugal and once again formally declared war on Eire, Scotland and Helvetia.

A Portuguese probe in Connaught
To save her our army it sought
To march to her aid
Yet each man was afraid
And sprits were low when they fought.

And doom it continued to rain
As next to appear were the main
As Castilians did land
Placing feet in the sand
And incusing on our poor domain.

c. 1438
In July of 1438, war came for the first time to the Eire homeland, as some 4000 or so Portuguese soldiers made a successful landing in Connaught. Eóghan sent the entire army to deal with these intruders and also ordered the navy of 5 galleys to set sail for the nearby coast to thwart further incursions. The latter were utterly destroyed by a Spanish armada - consisting of 45 warships and 8 galleys – before they could disengage.

Things went almost as poorly on land. Records found in a monastery nearby indicate that Eire’s army tangled with the enemy in a two-week engagement and suffered rather terrible casualties before being repelled by the Iberian corps. Fully 4000 infantrymen and 1000 light cavalry are buried in mass graves near the fields where the battle was fought, while it is believed that the Portuguese casualties were significantly lower.

In full retreat, the demoralized Irish turned back towards their capital. Word came only days later, that a very large Castilian army, which seemed to be the main force to be sent against the country, had landed in Leinster. An estimate provided to Eóghan shortly after the August 14th invasion was that 14,000 men were now engineering a siege of that province’s capital.

Now understanding that he faced two foes who were actively prosecuting a war that Eire had not even been directly involved in, Eóghan scoured the hedgerows of Ulster for every able-bodied soul who could ride a horse. He was able to muster an additional 4000 poorly-trained cavalry to replace some of the casualties suffered in the disaster in Connaught, however the morale of the army was very poor and it was some months before he dared send them back to face the enemy – an enemy which now had more combined troops on Eire’s soil than were contained in the entire defender’s army.

Both Charles and Jaun you will find,
Have glory and conquest in mind
Our entreaties rebuffed
And our armies engulfed
And always our off’rings declined.

c. 1438
It is not recorded precisely why the Portuguese army returned to their vessels, though it is true that they had insufficient forces remaining after defeating the Eire army to effectively besiege Connaught. However this did now allow direct access to the Castilian army and Eóghan ordered Lord Eire to take the army south to prepare to engage the enemy before it could break into the Leinster capital. It is recorded that 9000 infantry and 7400 cavalry were ultimately fielded in that province and the first skirmishes began on the day after the new year.

Trying to buy his general enough time, Eóghan sent emissaries to begin intense negotiations with both Charles VII in Paris, and his counterpart, by the name of Juan II, in Castile. Charles was unreceptive to the negotiator’s overtures, even though the entire coffers of the country were offered to him if he would call off the dogs. Perhaps it was this linguistic error that cost the diplomat his life, as it was subsequently noted that talking to a French monarch about dogs was likely to enrage him – most likely due to the now-famous quote of the hated Henry who had shouted “Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war.” Since the immediate outcome of this went very badly for France, Charles was, perhaps, understandable annoyed to hear it used once again.

Meanwhile, the other diplomat sent to plead Eire’s case with Juan II found himself unable to gain an audience with the Castilian monarch as he was holed up within the city while, outside, it was besieged by rebellious serfs intent on some reform or redress or whatever. This failure to parlay would cost him dearly as he was ordered transferred to the front lines of the army.

Two other missions were sent to Paris, all suffering the same fate, and Eóghan now found himself encircled by enemy fleets and with precious little bargaining room left. He also received dispatches from Scotland that indicated that things were going very poorly for James as well. A large French army had landed on it soil and was slowly pushing its way northwards. In fact, James only barely managed to escape before the national capital came under heavy siege.

Iberians beware of our metal
Whatever the score we will settle
With blood and our lives
To protect our own wives
And our shamrock’s most delicate petal

c. 1441-1442
The army under Lord Eire – not that Lord Eire, the other Lord Eire – fought several battles in 1439 and 1440 against the Castilian army. In January 1439, some 14,000 Castile infantry besieging Leinster managed to repel the homeland army, though they suffered heavy casualties in doing so (approximations suggest that over 9000 bodies were shipped home for burial) while the Eire losses were limited to 2000 foot and 400 horse. A second attempt was made by Lord Eire – yes, that one – in March of the same year and this time he carried the day and routed the enemy. These bodies were thrown in the sea.

Eóghan now ordered the army to position itself in Connaught in order to be able to quickly respond to any further landings. The diary of his second mistress mentions that he felt relatively upbeat about the successes of the army and his opinion that they had now weathered the storm and would make peace. Later, this same source mentions the necessity of several…err….acts of fellatio…err…being required to…err…raise his spirits after receiving news that not only had both Charles VII and Juan II once again refused to grant audience to his messengers, but that 4100 Castile infantry had landed in Connaught and been engaged by Lord Eire.

Now Lord Eire did successfully repel the Iberians once again, and the public sentiment at the time was that the army was almost invincible. Some five thousand peasants formed themselves into an infantry corps in Munster towards the end of 1441. This was done without prompting, and as was the tradition at the time, they elected their own Lord Eire to lead them. Eóghan had also taken advantage of another year to conscript some new young men in Ulster and appointed Lord Eire – no, not that Lord Eire or the other Lord Eire, no that Lord Eire – to command them.

Eóghan’s renewed confidence was not to last long, however, as he discovered that the Castilian second landing had been only a gentle test of the defences.

The streets of the cities flow red
With blood from our many sons dead
The gates are all shattered
As if that all mattered
Their soldiers our maidens all bed.

c. 1442
This sad verse tells the tale of tragedy that occurred in 1442. Within five months, Castile lands three separate armies in Connaught, Munster, and Leinster. The first of these catches Lord Eire – you know which one – completely by surprise and the appalling slaughter that followed spelled certain doom for the country’s defence. The force that reached the beachhead on April 17th was a full 18,000 infantry and 12,000 cavalry. These well-trained foes quickly assaulted their greatly outnumbered adversary who were forced to flee from the field before being wiped out. Lord Eire was only able to bring 1800 foot and 2,000 horse to join up with Lord Eire’s force in Ulster.

Rather than move on them, the Castile army seemed prepared to besiege the province’s principal city. The reason for this became quickly apparent as 12,000 more troops landed in Muster and completely annihilated Lord Eire’s 5,000 foot, and another 8,000 enemy appeared in Leinster. Eóghan made one last call to arms in Ulster and then, in September, ordered Lord Eire (the other one) to take the army in a last ditch effort to dislodge the enemy.

This effort met quickly with failure and Eire was left only with 761 horse who fled as the front lines began to crumble – or so they reported. There were suggestions that Lord Eire (the other one) actually never commanded the army and actually was so afraid that he and 760 of his close friends actually nipped round to the pub for a pint instead. Of course I would not report this if it had not been substantiated by reviewing the inn’s receipt register for that evening. I discovered that they tendered more pints in one night than they usually did for the entire month, and this seems to be rather compelling evidence.

One by one, the enemy sieges were successful and there are plentiful reports and first-hand accounts of rape in the first hours after the cities’ gates had been sundered. By the end of 1442, a large Castilian force was already on the march from Connaught towards the only remaining free capital.

Game note: I'm treating 1 ducat = 1,000 ducats above

Last edited:
The 4th and Final Volume

VOLUME 4

The banker of Europe are rich
Survival is our only wish
We’ve borrowed some cash
To finance our clash
Though our only repayment is fish

c. 1443
During the final year of the war with Castile, Eire took out two bank loans in an attempt to finance the restructuring of its army. Due to the extremely limited manpower in the one remaining free province, Eóghan II decreed that all expenditures on the army would be in cavalry. He most likely knew that he would never be able to repay these loans, and the black humour of the day suggested that the wealthy European bankers who had lent him the money in the first place were unlikely to get much in return other than a boatload of fish.

A small note on pronunciation: In gaelic, the word “rich” is pronounced “rish” and does, in fact, rhyme with wish and fish :rolleyes:

The valiant of Eire make their stand
With ev’ry available hand
But the enemy’s might
Finally puts them to flight
Thus ends the defence of our land.

c. 1444
The result of the attempt to rebuild the army from the devastating defeats suffered by Lord Eire and Lord Eire, was that Lord Eire was now in command of 5,300 foot and 17,000 horse. Though large in number, these green recruits were still in poor spirits and this showed as the front lines engaged a force of roughly 13,000 Castilian infantry and 8,000 cavalry. The casualties sustained were horrendous, and the force broke and made a run for the now-unoccupied but enemy-controlled province of Connaught. Unfortunately their arrival coincided with the enemy reserves being brought forward and Lord Eire’s force was annihilated.

As Ulster was now besieged, Eóghan could not call for any further troops, and even if he could have it would have been very few as only 6,000 ducats remained in the treasury. The plight of Eire was bad indeed, and Juan II and Charles VII still steadfastly refused to parlay within reason. Or perhaps, rather, that Eire had too little to offer to deflect them from their true goals.

Eventually, Eóghan II conceded defeat and on August 8th, 1444, surrenders the provinces of Munster, Leinster and Connaught to Castile. These are the only terms that Juan II will accept.

Charles the ruthless old dog
Had found himself bit by a dog
When he saw a dog
He’d kick the poor dog
Then go home and kick some more dogs

c. 1445
This is quite possibly the worst verse in the entire collection; though it warrants special merit as it is the blackest of all humour seen in the final days of Eire.

Thinking it possible that the worst was over, Eóghan began rebuilding the army with borrowed money once again. Before even a single regiment could be formed and a new Lord Eire appointed to command it, and army of 10,650 French infantry and 4000 French cavalry under the command of of Lord Dunois landed in Ulster and laid siege to the city.

Eóghan himself attempted to parlay with the French commander by shouting at the top of lungs from the battlements. He was ignored, however, and on the day that the city’s gate collapsed, he threw himself from the highest tower, screaming “Dog” all the way.

Now it is presumed that this dying utterance is again a reference to Charles VII’s intense hatred of dogs, and after the city of Ulster fell to Dunois’ army, the populace nervously awaited the demands of the mad French king. This verse was almost certainly born in those darkest of hours and a final expression of hatred for the French, and a final defiance.

There once was a man from Bandutois
Whose head it did fall for a tutois
But who held the axe?
You might very well ask:
It’s that dog who, but I’ll tell him to…

c. 1445
After Eóghan left to his death, the vice regent Lord Eire was appointed as official spokesman for the people. Eire was from a very small and now unknown town of Bandutois on the coast, in Ulster. He met with Charles VII on October 29th, 1445 to hear the terms of the French king. Being somewhat educated, he attempted to respond to the mad monarch in French, but accidentally referred to the king by the highy insulting “tu” instead of the formal “vous”. Charles flew into a rage and ordered the man beheaded.

In much the same way, Charles VII declared on the same date that France would completely annex Eire.

This is the last verse that can be truly ascribed to a man of Eire, as it is documented that these were his final words, shouted out loud as the headsman raised and then swung his axe. As a result, Eire never did manage to exclaim his last two words as his head was severed from the neck. For those who are familiar with the French vernacular, it should be rather immediately apparent as to the most likely completion to the phrase. I have not printed it, however, as there is no solid documentation to suggest that anyone else dared complete it for him.

Here, then, ends the Companion’s Guide to the Poetry of 15th Century Eire. I hope this work may benefit future historians of early verse or of the land of Eire itself.