• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mettermrck

The Fuehrer of the Dance
121 Badges
Jul 11, 2001
Visit site
  • Magicka
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Galactic Assault
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Iron Cross
  • King Arthur II
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Lost Empire - Immortals
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Ancient Space
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Diplomacy
  • East India Company
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
brokenlands2ao7.jpg

And the Lord looked upon the West and found it wanting.
From the first angel's proffered hands He drew forth His flail,
setting it upon the face of the Earth where the grasses grew.

When it was done, he bade the peoples multiply,
And there rode many horsemen out of the East, fierce and wild.

Fire led the mighty host, hearkening to the West.
"I am the Flail of God. If you had not committed great sins,
God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."

Judgements 1:3-5 The Anhalt Testament

A new Mettermrck after action report, exquisite.

If only you had enough time to supply amply updates to all of your aars at the same time though.

I spy the Duchy of Saxony up there on the map, add to that, that the text was from the Anhalt Testament and we're getting somewhere. :)

The flail is the national weapon of Bohemia… my bet is something about the Hussite wars, with the establishment of a lasting Hussite (Tarborite or Ultraquiest?) religion.

Edit: Great background music, by the way.

Great, I am going to love this!

Fulcrumvale said:
The flail is the national weapon of Bohemia… my bet is something about the Hussite wars, with the establishment of a lasting Hussite (Tarborite or Ultraquiest?) religion.

Edit: Great background music, by the way.

Bohemia does seem to be the most likely subject here; as it appears to be in the centre of that picture...

This should be good. :D

So this is going to be your break from Eagles? Sounds like some daemons may be loosed from Tartarus. ;)

I bet in Saxony.

Thanks all for the interest! Keep in mind that this will be a short, fun AAR. It'll be more game-oriented, though I won't neglect the backstory. This won't be a literary work like Eagles, and sadly I'll probably leave a lot of questions in the air. :) Feel free to give your comments and thoughts. This is just one of those projects I've had in my head and want to put down on paper in bare form.

mongols1xc9.jpg

There was gathered the peoples of the east and there was gathered the peoples of the west.
And it came to pass at the plains of Mohi, where the sons of grass and the sons of iron met.
The rivers ran red.

Judgements 2:6 The Anhalt Testament

Having secured the steppes of Russia, culminating in the destruction of Kiev in 1240, the eyes of the Mongols turned west. Their defeated foes were driven before them, pressing westward into Europe as the defeated tribes of old, fleeing before the medieval Huns. The Cumans, in particular, gave Batu the pretext he needed, and he sent ultimatums to Bela IV of Hungary to give over the tribesmen, a demand unanswered. By 1241, Mongol horse crossed into eastern Europe for the first time. Sweeping into Poland, Bohemia, Transylvania, and Hungary, the hordes of fast-moving horsemen outmatched their European foes in a series of decisive battles. At Legnica, the flower of western chivalry, crusading knights and Polish heavy horse, fell to Kaidu’s army. The severed head of Henry II, Duke of Silesia, was paraded in front of the citadel itself to cow the defenders into submission. Kadan’s force was ravaging Transylvania, and only a day after Legnica, a decisive calamity befell the European armies at the plains of Mohi, where the confident Hungarian army and their brave King fell by the thousands, spilling Hungary’s lifeblood into the soaked ground. The King’s pleas to Emperor and Pope had gone answered, and his refuge in Austria was met almost at once by ransom, promising vast lands for aid, help that did not seem imminent. Even as the Mongols pillaged western Hungary, few in Europe had absorbed the shock of their lightning campaign, nor its consequences.

Last edited:
OMG, OMG, OMG. This is great stuff.

Wow. I was wrong…

Brilliant!

You could call that year as being moderately important in the scheme of things for central/eastern europe ;)

Nice start, Mett. So is it to be Hungary?

Human player Mongols; goodbye Europe!

I am guessing, purely from the Anhalt Testament that keeps being quoted, that the human player is Saxony.

At least that should mean that the scenario ends with Batu's death.

I've always wanted to take a Mongol country and try to erase civilized Europe from the map, myself... but I'd say Saxony is a good choice too. Love those German minors!

'The flail of God' could describe any number of Mongol leaders. Here's hoping you are able to stem the tide.

khangd5.jpg

And the cities of the high king moaned under the Lord’s vengeance,
placing much woe before the people.
The bountiful plains were torn asunder,
trodden under the furious host.

Judgements 2:32 The Anhalt Testament

It was to Europe’s detriment that the collapse of the eastern kingdoms failed to rally their western cousins to their defense. News took time to travel and even as Batu was given time to consolidate Mongol gains in Hungary and Bohemia, neither the Pope nor Emperor plotted any immediate moves against them. For the Pope, Celestine IV, had died in November, and the lands around Rome were occupied by the Emperor, Frederick II, who thus sought to impose his will on the Church. Neither turned enough of an eye eastward. No European monarch summoned the spark of imagination to contemplate a winter campaign, which was what Batu and Subotai proceeded to launch. By December, Mongol horsemen had reached the outskirts of Vienna and an arm of the Mongol horde had swept through Bohemia, ravaging Prague and pushing to the outskirts of the Sudeten mountains. Without an organized imperial army near enough to contest their advance, the Empire was a leaking sieve. By the time word reached the outskirts of Rome, Vienna was in flames, St. Stephen’s defiled. The word of Vienna and Prague’s fall was a bell of alarm in the western world. Overnight, the papal dispute was hastily put aside, Frederick forcing his candidate upon the nervous cardinals. Leaving the newly donned Innocent IV behind, he raced north to rally the desperate states of the Empire, even as the mild winter was enabling Kaidu’s force to push through the Bohemian passes and descend into Bavaria, where they aimed to meet Subotai’s main force near Nürnberg.

Last edited: