• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(4007)

En Til'Za
May 23, 2001
Visit site
Those of you familiar with my Brandenburg AAR will see some significant differences between this effort and that one. This AAR will not have the "unified" point of view that Brandenburg had. This is primarily because Nippon during this time was a land wracked by civil war. Also because power in Nippon is a far more fluid thing than in europe, often one that lacks any "title" as such. The Emperor was considered Divine, and yet his power aside from ceremonial activities and pronouncements made periodically had little effect. The Sei-i-tai-Shogun (Military ruler in charge of defeating barabarians) had held the real power for centuries.

But even the Shogun could be manipulated, and sometimes others could use him as a puppet. Power in the land was revealed by who could wield it. And yet to wield it in the wrong way, at the wrong time, would lead to one's own end.

The goals of this AAR will be more simple than Brandenburg as well. There I had control of one nation, it was stable, and a long term vision was easily obtainable. And because I lack the unified viewpoint of a single family, I wlll lay out my goals as player in this game now, for your reference.

1) To keep Nippon together (not an entirely easy task in itself).

2) To finish top 5 in VP.

3) To minimize the effect of Europeans in Asia.

4) To prevent China from unifying, if at all possible. That is, I hope to keep Manchu from being absorbed into China. And to keep China's expansionism to a minimum.

5) To make Nippon a power in Southeast Asia, whether by conquest or colonial activity.

This will be an AAR that hopefully will allow for others to take part in it as well. That is, I hope at least significant parts of it may be quasi-RPG. If people have significant historical figures they wish to examine, and/or role-play, let me know my PM or e-mail at shawng30@yahoo.com. If people have non-historical figures they wish to play at various points, give me a line at either of the above and explain the character, and we'll see what we can do. NO Europeans until the appropriate time in history, however. Others from outside Nippon will need more justification for being present than a Nipponese non-historical figure.

The first installment will be tomorrow. The first opportunity for Role Playing would be the Eikyo War, 1439, a civil war (surprise). Anyone interested drop me a line. It'll be part of the second chapter. Thanks you all very much for your support of my past effort, and I hope you consider this one up to the standards set by Brandenburg when all is said and done.

Chapter I

Chapter I- Initial Expansion (1419-1429)

Sei-I-Tai-Shogun Ashikaga Yoshimachi was the military commander of the Murimachi Bakafu, ruling from the Golden Pavilion in Kyoto. the Bakafu was a military/feudal dictatorship that ruled the Land of the Gods-Nippon. The Bakafu had been wracked with civil war for almost its entire existence. It had arisen when it overthrew the former Kamakura Bakafu of the Hojo clan a hundred years before. Ashikaga Takaugi, the first of the ruling Ashikaga, had sought at first a restoration of Imperial power (the Kemmu restoration). But after a series of insufferable Imperial slights, he decided to form a new Shogunate and reduce the emperor back to hsi former ceremonial functions.

The civil war had lasted almost 50 years in its own right. With rival Imperial courts being risen, and the typical changing of sides that followed any Civil War in Nippon. A couple of times, the Bakafu had even lost control of Kyoto, but never for long. In the end, a compromise was reached, and the Divine Emperor returned to presiding over ceremonies while the real power went to the Bakafu. But the fact that the Ashikaga were born out of such confused beginnings meant that they never had the real support needed to consolidate power.

Perhaps that now would change. For the Shogun had conceived a plan that would call the Samurai to a glorious purpose. A way to show their superiority in battle, and to bring glory to their Divine Emperor. If only the opportunity for implementing the plan would arise...

For the first difficulty is one of our own making. On March 9, 1419, we order the popular and renonowned warrior Daimyo Togashi Mitsushige to commit seppoku for a slight of our person. this action costs us stability amongst the Daimyo, (-1 to +1) but honor demands it.

On June 3, 1419, China and Korea declare war on the Manchu. We watch events with interest, though we wish to stay clear of this war, we think it will further our ambitions. On July 4th, tibet joins the alliance against Manchu, and on March 5, 1420 Tuangu follows suit. Perhaps they have too many allies now for our intentions. But it is now or never, and we will not turn back. 35000 men are sent to sea. And on April 1st, we declare war on Korea. China nominally comes to her aid. But the other allies do not even do this much. On April 17th, Kyongju is beseiged by our forces. The landing is virtually unopposed, as the Korean army is north tangling with the Manchu. Everything proceeds in a manner all too fortuitous for our cause.

On May 1st, we discover Malacca, and its Center of Trade. On June 23, 1421 Kyongju is captured and we march on Yalu. On July 1st, our 25000 men defeat 8000 Koreans who have been raised in Yalu to desperately attempt to save their land. It avails them little. China proves themselves faithless by signing a white peace with us. We have no problem taking advantage of the shame of other lands. Thus the Koreans are left on their own, beseiged by our troops, and the result in little doubt.

On July 27th however, internal squabbles continue. The monks claim that we have not paid sufficient attention to their concerns. We are not in a position, with our realm at war, to take another blow to our stability, so we accede to the demands of the monks (-1 innovativeness). On October 5th, we discover Atjeh, and on November 10th, we move to solidify our position by marrying into the Ming dynasty in China. However, we also continue to play both sides against each other by marrying into the Manchu as well.

On June 4th, we discover Irrawady, and on the 16th, Yalu falls to our troops. On September 19th, we agree to peace with Korea for Kyongju + 100d. Thus we have gained a foothold on the continent and maintain freedom for further action...this is indeed, nothing more than a truce, and we refuse to let anyone think otherwise.

But the concerns of our Bakafu extend far beyond the mere military sphere. Muramachi culture is perhaps the grandest culture Nippon has yet seen. On June 1, 1423, at our urging, Zeami Motokiyo writes Nohsakushi--a treastise on how to write "No." This type of play has come into widespread favor among the Samurai and other elie of Nippon. (+100 infrastructure, +1 aristocracy--fullaristocracy.)

On August 8, 1423, we establish a presence in Southeast Asia by marrying into the house of Vientiane. On October 14, the Koreans send us a diplomatic insult. And we assure the garlic-eaters that we will deal with their folly soon enough. Unfortunately, we cannot afford to break the truce, but we will not allow this slight to go unpunished at the proper time.

On Febuary 14, 1424, we send an expedition to Vanin which cleanses the area of natives. We move to colonize the land quickly. Our first attempt in July fails. But our second attempt on January 2, 1425 succeeds, and we begin efforts to establish the first Nipponese city on the Asian continent.

On May 1st, we establish a trade protocol with Malacca which allows us both free access to the other's Center of Trade. On July 14th, we decline an alliance with Manchu, we do not desire their "help" in dealing with Korea. However, we discover that they have now follow this up with an alliance with Korea. This changes little, our goals are clear. On May 10th, we marry into the house of Tuangu, and on Febuary 10th, with Irrawady as well. This establishes our presence firmly on the Asian mainland, and can perhaps begin to build an alliance of our own to counter that of our enemies.

On July 26th, the Chinese alliance declares war on Malacca. That would be bad for her, but we doubt any of the other lands can project power onto the peninnsular nation. On August 19th, a meteor is sighted, and our people take it as an ill omen (-1 stability to +2). For our part, we take it as an omen of the great things we will soon accomplish, a nation will soon fall from the sky as the star did. We are ready, and we put our plans in motion. The Daimyo do not look so favorably at a declaration of war following such an omen (-2 stability to 0). But we refuse to allow the garlic eaters to stand against our realm hurling insults like arrows. Even if they do have the Manchu behind them.

On December 24th, 8000 Koreans in Yalu cannot stand against nearly 4 times their number of Samurai. Yalu is once again beseiged. We send 16000 to Vanin to form an expedition against Manchu, and release 5000 into Sikhote. They defeat an equal number of our enemy, but are unable to lay seige to the province.

On August 8, 1428, the Manchu feebly attempt to lift the seige of Yalu, and fail. Then they find 16000 of our men moving on Sikhote to press the war upon them, much to their consternation. But all is not well. On September 18th, the Shocha Ikki, having crushed some of the local deputies (who apparently skimming extra taxes for themselves), comes to us and demands forgiveness of debts and lower taxes. Bring at war, we are not in a position to deal with the Ikki from strength. thus we agree to their demands (-1 serfdom, -250 infra/trade, -1 tax in Kanrei, -1 stability, back to 0).

On October 12th, Sikhote is beseiged, the mAnchu, surprisingly, have launched a seige of their own in Syongju, but Yalu will fall long before their 5000 can change the outcome. Indeed, on March 15th, Yalu is captured. Our terms with Korea are simple--annexation. We, not the peasant rabble, read the signs rightly. Our Samurai sweep Korea of Manchu, and then fortify Yalu against the enemy.

On May 18th, 1429, one of our Daimyo extends us a gift of 100d in thankfulness for our wise conduct of this war. We take the opportunity by encouraging an even more aggressive outlook in our troops to warfare in June. On July 12th Sikhote is captured, btu we have no desire to hold it. On September 1,1429, before large troops can be brought to bear against us and undo our victories, we sign a white peace with Manchu.

The Ashikaga are now masters of Korea as well as Nippon, and our position is ripe for expansion and glory.But that can be the work of my successor Yoshimari, as I retire from public life, at least formally. In truth of course, I, like all before me, will continue to wield true power as long as I live.

Man! I though I was a bear for punishment when it came to writing. You're off to a great start Sean O. Keep us enthralled. :D

Yes at last the promised japanese-AAr starts. This will be great reading I´m sure and it´s of to a great start. Keep up the good work. Although it seems you got a pretty rough start.

I don't envy you playing Nippon but I'm looking forward to reading about it. Are you doing a no replay type of game? Whatever happens, happens? Boy this could be rough.:D

Joe

Nooo! Leave Korea alone! Grr, too late. :(

Great start, although I have to get used to these Japanese names. :D

I feel another classic in the making. I´ve never tried either Nippon nor Timurids myself - the prospect of fighting rebels for 200 years is not to appealing:D

Tora! Tora!

/Vandelay

Finally the long-awaited Japneese AAR! And it promises to be a great AAR looking at your work here o far, and remembering the Brandenburg AAR.

I just can't wait for the Sengoku Jidai :D

Chapter 2

Chapter II- Infighting and Insolence (December 1429-1467)

Yoshinari rose to power as Shogun in December 1429. the realm had expanded into Korea and Vanin, and it was more stable than it had been for a century. But Yoshinori, though an able administrator, was vicious, bloodthristy even by the savage nature of the times. He relished power and he relished displaying it to others at their expense. this trait would be the cause of considerable woe before his end...

On December 13th, we orchestrate a royal marriage with Myanmar, and our diplomatic efforts continu in 1430 via a trade agreement with China and another royal marriage with Malacca. We also have built up Vanin to a good-sized colonial outpost (lvl4). However, not all are happy with the new direction of Nippon. It seems a Daimyo has assasinated one of the Uesugi clan's vassals (-1 stability to +2). the Uesugi clan have sworn vengeance on the perpetrator, and we investigate the matter as well, though I fear I know who committed this crime.

On September 8, 1432, the difficulties continue. This time there is an Ikki revolt in Kyushu and Tohoku due to the continued overtaxing of the peasantry by the Commissars and Deputies. The initial revolt in Tohoku is put down in October, but then we must march troops south to Kyushu. On Febuary 7th, the last of the rabble is dispersed. In August, the collection of waka, 31 syllable poems used as spell wards and petitions to the dead is ordered. The collection of this much poetry forms a cultural legacy to remember the Muramachi Shogunate by, and unlike other Shogunates, the Muromachi are indeed concerned with the high culture of the realm. On August 6th, our diplomatic efforts bear fruit in China and Manchu (Great Reputation, +30 China, +40 Manchu).

On December 21, 1435, another meteor is sighted. The soothsayers tell me that it is a sign that my reign is coming to an end. I scoff at them, and remind them that they said similar things about the lights before my father took Korea. Fools! They cannot interpret the signs aright, they learn nothing from their past failures. I order them put to death for their continued carping.

Excellent work shawng1, please keep it coming!

I very much appreciate the way you go about playing, that is setting up goals to start with. I find the game so much more enjoyable, when I have a concrete plan, instead of an enless tit-for-tat.

Looking forward to the next episode. :)

/coralsaw

On January 20, 1436, Vanin becomes the first city of Nippon outside the Land of the Gods. We immediately fortify the area (lvl1) to ensure the Manchu cannot simply wander in at their convenience. We continue our colonial exploits in May 1437 by sending a colonial expedition to Taiwan. It is cleansed of barbarian influence, and then the colonists are sent in. The first effort fails, but in October, a colony is successfully planted.

On december 27th Akamatsu Mitsusuki petitions us for aid. We mock him, and send him back to his lands in Harima. He in turn is forced to reduce his holdings to pay for his expenditures. (-1 stability) But what truly catches our attention is that on March 9, 1439, the Uesugi discover who the murderer of their vassal was. It was as we suspected. Ashikaga Mochiuji, our kinsman and Kanto Kanrei, assasinated this Uesugi. On the same day he raises the standard of revolt against us. We have him labelled a traitor to the realm by the Emperor and commission the Uesugi to carry out the justice due. the Uesugi aid comes with strongs, of course. They want the position of Kanto Kanrei (deputy shogun for the Kanto). But seing they supply us with 22500 Samurai to put down the revolt, we can hardly refuse (Aristocracy +1-maxed, -2 centralization-max DEcentralized, -3 stability, vice -5 w/o their aid, 15000 infantry and 7500 cavalry, revolt in Kanto, +10 revolt risk). On March 20th, Ashikaga Mochiuji is trapped and defeated by the Uesugi. He commits seppoku before his capture, and his head is taken on a Yari to their domain while the rest of his body is left where it was found.

On may 3rd, we discover Hanoi and we immediately orchestrate a royal marriage with Dai Viet. On June 1st, remnants of Mochiuji's army rise in revolt once again, but they are defeated on the 8th. These revolts continue until July 16, 1440, when the final act of the "Eikyo War" is enacted. Mochiuji's son and heir, along with other prominent Daimyo unhappy with the rapid rise of the Uesugi clan, unite and rise in revolt against the Bakafu (-1 stability). However, on July 19th, they are caught and all the leaders are either killed in battle, commit seppoku, or are publically humiliated before their execution for failing to die with their leige lords.

In June of the next year, the Yoki clan attempts to unite the remnants of the rebel army once more (-1 stability again), but on the 24th, the Yoki prove inept at anything besides sending themselves onward after a humiliating defeat. However, all of these enemies have a price. And Ashikaga Yoshinari found the price very steep indeed for this price.

The Ashikaga Bakafu had held power by the careful welding of disparate interests. But Yoshinari's mentality was to stampede over all of these in a quest to consolidate power, seeing that as the only way to establish longevity for the Bakafu. Nippon was hardly ready for this change, and certainly not ready for it in the cruel form Yoshinori brought it. Akamatsu Mitsasuki had invited the Shogun to dine with him, supposedly to mend the fences the two had damaged in their previous encounter. But during the dinner, the Shogun's bodyguards were killed, as the dinner was held in Harima, at Mitsasuki's castle. the Shogun himself was killed before he was even able to compose his own death poem as part of the Seppoku ritual (Shogun Yoshinori assasinated, revolt in Kansai, stability -5 to -2, centralization -2--like it matters now).

The new Shogun, Yoshimasa, hunts down the murderer, who after having sacrificed his vassals in battle, gives himself the freedom he did not give the Shogun in preparing his own exit from this earth. The first crisis of the new Shogunate--first that is, that he did not inherit--is another Ikki revolt. Once again they demand annulment of debts and lower taxes. But the Bakafu cannot exist without funds, and this endless cycle must end. The request is denied and the peasants rise in revolt in Shikoku. They take the local fortresses, and the troops we march in must lay seige to the province on January 12, 1442. We also must put down a secondary revolt in may related to this menace.

However, we do manage during this time of turmoil to establish a foreign policy initiative. We form an alliance with China nad Manchu in May as well. On November 12th, Shikoku is retaken and the revolt ends. But november 28,1443 demonstrates that our problems with the Daimyo are not ended. They demand increased pensions. We tell them there is no funds for such extravagence (-2 stability, back to 0).

On August 20, 1444, we arrange a trade agreement with Dai Viet and on september 3rd bring Myanmar into our alliance. In August of 1445, we implement a complete overhaul of the tax and toll system to increase revenue (Hyogatiku's tax and toll reforms, +1 tax value Tohoku, +3 Kanto, Kansai, Kyushu, +1 Shikoku, and +2 mercantilism). In September we also continue to implement a more offensive nature to our warfare and tactics. In Febuary, we are confronted with yet another petition for pensions from the Daimyo, and we again reject it. (-2 stability to +1). On November 24th, we renew royal ties with China, and on March 8, 1447, with Manchu as well.

On febuary 27,1448, we also institute royal ties with Bengal. On april 3rd, we get an initial report on the year's Koku income. It is an exceptional rice harvest (+100d, -5% inflation). On June 26, 1451, we appoint Hosakawa Katsumata as advisor to the Shogun (excellent minister, +3 all values for 12 months). On November 5th, we renew royal ties with Vientiane, and on April 17, 1452, we send a personal gift to Tuangu. In December we renew our alliance with all partners. However, the year is not done with us. On December 9th, we receive word that mismanagement and bungling by the Deputies with their relentlessly sticky fingers has damaged our economy (poor policies -1 stability, -250 trade/infrastructure).

On Febuary 4, 1453, we initiate royal ties with Tuangu, and on March 17th, we celebrate Taiwan's elevation into the status of the 2nd Nipponese city outside the realm. On Febuary 8,1454 Tuangu joins the alliance, and on April 3rd, accepts an offer to become vassals of our Divine Emperor. However, not all the news is good in 1454, as the Hatakeyama family has a feud between rival vassals over who to elevate to Daimyo of the clan. The Yamana clan is behind it all. Shifty, scheming, they have made promises to both sides in the dispute. But the Bakafu is not in a position to insert itself into the quarrels of families as to who ascedes to Daimyo (+1 aristocracy, -1 stability, -1 centralization). On December 25th, we marry into the house of Myanmar. But the intrigue is not done yet.

On December 28th, the Kanto Kubo Ashikaga Shigeuji(military commander of the Kanto) assasinates Uesugi Noritada, the Kanto Kanrei (Deputy Shogun of the province). We are forced to order Shigeuji to commit seppoku for the good of the realm (+1 aristocracy, -1 qaulity, -1 centralization, -1 stability, +5 revolt risk).

In January and March, we send personal gifts to Myanmar. On April 1st, a revolt rises in Ezochi, but it is quickly put down. However, it seems in the conduct of this, a Samurai kills one of the locals needlessly, and the rumblings of this will be heard in our court before long...

On July 13th, we renew royal ties with Malacca, and on the 7th of October, we sign a trade agreement with our vassals in Tuangu to protect them from a trade war. In November, heretics arise in Kyushu, they are backed by Sohei, warrior monks who believe death in battle will lead to their eternal glory. They crush the Bakafu troops in the province. We are force to raise an army to deal with this threat.

The discontent continues in 1457, as we are forced to put down the Koshamin revolt in Ezocki, as the natives, who are little better in truth than the Eta of the home provinces. they ask for the return of their native lands, which would exile all of our people from Ezochi. We find it much simpler to simply cruch this impertinent revolt. On September 16th, the revolt of the Sohei in Kyushu is finally put down. We finish the year with a gift to the Myanmar, but in October they decline to become our vasals.

In June of 1459 floods destroy the entire harvest. Famines follow quickly, and by the end of the year, nearly 100000 people die (-5000 in Tohoku and Shikoku, -20000 in Kanto, Kansai, and Kyushu, -1 tax value in all). But the Hosokawa quickly and wisely implement plocies for recovery (Good governemnt policies +1 stability, +250 infra/trade) and the recovery is much quicker than it otherwise would have been. On July 8, 1462, we renew our alliance with all partners. 11 months later, we recive a gift of 200d from the hosokawa clan.On July 20th, Go-Tschimikada ascends to the status of Divine Emperor and overseer of the ceremonies that go with it. Power, of course, remains with the Bakafu.

On January 8, 1465, a monk comes to the court to tell us that to kill, even in carrying out the law of the realm, is to invite being reborn in a lower plane. Zen does not differentiate between execution and murder. We tell this unusual man that such a lack of distinction is unfortunate. But Law must be enforced, and it will be with him. He is shown the wisdom of such a distinction first hand at his own execution +1 stability, -1 innovate).

On january 3, 1466, we reach a trade agreement with Vientiane, and on July 10th, we do so with Manchu as well. On April 2, 1467 we follow this up with a royal marriage to SDai Viet. And on the 17th, we send a 50d gift to the Uesugi to thank them for an end to their feud. But this celebration of peace stands in sharp contrast with the horror that lurks on our horizon...