• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(58493)

Second Lieutenant
Jun 29, 2006
This is my first thread, as well as being my first AAR. I've been playing Victoria for a while and have really enjoyed it. Though it has an -extremely- sharp learning curve (second only to Tribes 2), the gameplay is great and it's proven a boon in educating me about both geography and 19th century history... I often find myself "how would this play out in Vicky" when sitting through classes involving international politics. But enough about the game, I'm sure if you didn't enjoy it you wouldn't be reading this. So, let's get to it.

The title of the thread is pretty self-explanatory; a game as a south african country (civilized or not) is defined by preparation for conflict with the British, which is more-or-less inevitable. Although there have been some interesting attempts at a South-African AAR, none of them have taking the game all the way to the end, to say nothing of covering the showdown with the British oppressors. I hope to rectify this.

When deciding on which country to play as I picked Transvaal because it has the coolest name. Oranje is just a pretentious mis-spelling, and Zululand isn't creative at all... all it serves is to designate the residence of the people-who-call-themselves-Zulu. Granted, "Transvaal" is merely based upon its geographic location relative to the Vaal River, but it rolls well off the tongue.

A note about my playing style. I am not a warmonger. I am well-aware of the importance of maintaining a good military score and occasional wars of expansion, but I find fighting frequent protracted conflicts to be tedious and boring. I have never annexed a great power à la Memnon's caliphal AAR (Frank and I are buddies), nor do I think I will be able to do that as Transvaal. But, we'll see how things play out.

I am going to be playing this on normal/normal, considering I have never tried playing as a third-ranked country and ... well... I'm not THAT good :rolleyes:

I will be playing this game on vanilla 1.03 c. I am a lowly mac user, and I have thus far been unable to figure out if there's a mac-version of the .04 patch or VIP.... could someone help me out with this?

Unfortunately I do not have my CD on me right now (I'm in DC, it's in Michigan), but I should be getting ahold of it on Friday... perhaps I'll precede the first in-game update with a pre-game analysis of Transvaal's pros and cons.

Take care,
spuzzter

Last edited:
Sounds good, I have never tried playing an African minor before. You may find it almost impossible to make peace with the UK once a war does begin as they're extremely stubborn. Anyway, I'll be following this.

Welcome, welcome! I'll definitely be reading this!

And Transvaal is hardly an African minor. They start out civilized!

Welcome and Transvaal AARs are always interesting. :D

**sits back and puts his feet up on his desk, prepared to see if Transvaal can take the Brits**

Looks like it could be fun! Welcome to AAR-land.

I will definately follow this with interest. Transvaal is one of three countries I'm trying to succeed with right now, and maybe I can learn a few things from this AAR. On top of that, the Boers are my most recent historical interest.

Oh, and welcome to the AAR community, the Victoria forum, and the P'dox forums in general!

Thanks for all your interest thus far, I've always been impressed by the quality of posters on the paradox plaza (no 'u r teh gay' etc).

profxyz: I will most definitely be playing the GC, I think that'll be the only way to give Transvaal enough time to repel the British at the end of the century...

I'm going back to Michigan tonight and will be picking up the CD tonight, allowing me to boot the game. It's a long story as to -why- I chose to leave the CD in Michigan, but a boring one.

So, I hope to have the first update by the end of this weekend, if for nothing but the first few years. Hint: there will be three planned victims for the initial war of expansion, think you can guess?

Finally, as a test for posting pictures, I have the Transvaal flag...

200pxtransvaalflag8jm.jpg

You may be asking yourselves: Why did the Transvaal adopt the "new" Dutch colours (red-white-blue) whereas South Africa uses the "old" Dutch colours (orange-white-blue) for its flag?

"Even the earliest republics (Graaff-Reinet and Swellendam, which were set up in 1795) adopted the new Dutch flag. The reason was that they saw themselves as being Dutch, but no longer belonging to the Dutch East India Company (VOC) which still flew the old orange-white-blue flag. The Afrikaners (Boers) of the Great Trek who wished to escape the British colonial rule, adopted Dutch-inspired flag for their new republics for the same reason. When the new (now old) South African flag was created, it was to unite the whites of South Africa - those Afrikaners whose forefathers left the Colony and set up independent republics (the small Orange Free State and ZAR flag), the Afrikaners whose forefathers stayed at the Cape (the orange-white-blue "Van Riebeeck flag") and the British settlers (the small Union Jack)" (Thanks Carsten Linke!).

Last edited:
Good luck with Transvaal.

That's because you're in Victoria territory, son. We have monocles here.
joenods8fp.gif

Best wishes, Spuzzter, and hope it all goes well!

Welcome, as everybody else has said!

And please tell Frank hi -- he kind of inspired me to start this whole AARing thing, and it's been a blast!

Rensslaer

Spuzzter said:
You may be asking yourselves: Why did the Transvaal adopt the "new" Dutch colours (red-white-blue) whereas South Africa uses the "old" Dutch colours (orange-white-blue) for its flag?
I'm rather asking myself why they decided to ruin a perfectly good tricolour with that green stripe. ;)

Good luck with Transvaal. I did try a game with them once - getting steamrolled by the British was quite the lesson in humility, but in all likelyhood you're a better Victorian than me. :D

Transvaal is one of the most difficult (civilized) countries in the game. Good Luck!!

I dunno. I'd say Texas and Cracow are pretty tough as well...

I remeber loooong time ago - it was Victoria i guess version 1.01 (absolutely different game than the one we have now).. then i managed to be No.1 :D
(beating US by some few points thanks to battleships built few weeks before game end).

But now - good luck!! You will need it ;)

tvlprov4fo.gif

Transvaal is not the best country to play in Victoria. No vital resources, An extremely small population, no external cores, an offbeat national culture (though it's worse in VIP), no navy, one reserve-quality infantry unit, and land borders with the UK (with whom there is a hardcoded conflict) and portugal, whose independence is guaranteed like clockwork by the UK.

But, it does have some benefits. Transvaal starts out with two weak neighbors, Zululand and Oranje, who provide immediate opportunities for expansion. Natal is weak too, but it is a client state of the UK, who will intervene on their behalf (I confirmed this :p). Transvaal starts out with a really good research rate for a country its size, about .65 a month, and when the initial war vs. oranje and the zulu is done it jumps to about .85 (i'll show this in pictures). Transvaal starts out as a democracy, with first-rate political reforms. Madagascar lies right across the channel, and all it takes is a single clipper transport to ship troops over.

So, let's see what I do with all of that, shall we?

picture19nz.png

So here is how Transvaal immediately starts out. You can see the specs; low revenue, small population, and so on. I'll be going with a rather standard budget; 49% taxes (laissez-faire doesn't allow for anything higher) tariffs up, army maintenance and defense spending are both up. and you'll see why....

I mentioned before the political reforms of Transvaal, and here they are.

politicsstatus11er.png

partiesstatus17qe.png

Neither of the two parties are really good. Both have a mix of solid and not-so solid policy stances, so choosing which party to shoot for depends on one's goals. Early on I tend to prefer non-laissez faire economies, in order to have more control over tax rates. After my economy has become industrialized I tend to prefer laissez-faire economies for the discount they get on import costs. So, for that reason I prefer the Boeren party at this point in the game, and will manipulate event results to garner them. Beyond their economic stance the Boeren have a residence minority policy (preferable to slavery), and a pro-military stance vs. the voortreker's jingoism, allowing me to decrease the spending when I don't need it (min of 10% vs min of 30%).

Military speaking, this is it, one reserve-quality unit

military19bo.png

6000 Commandos, eh? Would that mean 6000 of these guys?

240pxsamfisher5al.jpg

Nah, probably too much to hope for.

researchoption10hk.png

For research, as I mentioned, Transvaal benefits from a solid point-accrual rate. Obviously, Transvaal needs to industrialize, but I decided to make my prioirity prestige-gaining culture research. Transvaal needs to flex diplomatic muscle in order to gain benefits from trading, and great powers get more dip points. So, let's work for the prestige.

Starting out, Transvaal has the opportunity to more than double it's population, gain a seaport, and gain access to iron and coal through a war of expansion. So, let's mobilize and bring our little brother the Oranje Free Republic into the fold.

invasionoforanje4xf.png

And then the zulu.....

picture37ji.png

That's it for the moment, keeping up the game right now, and things look pretty good. I'm planning on gaining a good rapport with the Portugese, tech trading, and hopefully expanding a bit. Perhaps the Portugese could even give me the capital to claim some colonies and build some factories. We'll see.....

Take care everyone, and happy 230th-anniversary-of-freedom! ;)

Last edited: