• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

L'Afrique

Punk incorporé
81 Badges
Nov 29, 2005
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • March of the Eagles
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
The Safavid Dynasty in Persia
1520-1820

I got the inspiration for this AAR from Duke of Wellington's Golden Horde-Back From the Dead. I realized I had never done much east of the Caucasus, and wanted to experience a game in that part of the world. I'd also wanted to write an AAR, and figured this was the time. I plan on one update per monarch, with multiple updates for the long-lived ones. I'm not very good, though, so don't expect any amazing conquests. I also don't know much about the Safavid Empire, so exept for the first monarch, don't expect them to have historic personalities or anything.

screensave01lz.jpg

The Safavid Empire in 1520. It has no tax collectors, Land Tech 5, Naval Tech 0... Its not much of an Empire compared to Europe. But our Land Tech is higher than all our neighbors save the Turks, thank Allah. The Empire is home to Persian, Baluchi, Afghan Turkish, Turkomen, Armenian, and Arabic cultures, but Persian is our only state culture. Luckily, only two provinces aren't Shi'ite.

screensave12ns.png

First update should be sometime today.

Last edited:
Shah Ismail I​

In 1520, the Safavid Empire was a large, relatively new power in the Near East. The Safavid dynasty, founded and still ruled by Ismail I Safavi, was located in Persia, its lands formerly controlled by by various Turkic tribes and, most notably, the Timurid Empire. The peoples of Safavid Persia had only one thing in common between them: Shi'a Islam. Persia was the only state in the world that followed it, aside from their vassal Mus'asha

On January 1st, 1520, Shah Ismail I dispatched tax collectors to many provinces in the empire, including Azerbaijan, Tabriz, Tabaristan, Hamadan, Elbruz, Lut, Armenia, Kirkuk, and Iraq. Persia was still a poor nation, and the meager yearly census tax simply was not enough to keep her afloat. Most of it was stolen by corrupt local bailiffs, anyway.

Shah Ismail, while still a good leader and competent general, was currently but a shadow of his former self. He had just lost a humiliating war with the Ottoman Empire, who wanted to prevent the spread of Shi'a into its territory. At the end of the war, the Sultan had stolen a wife of his and held her for ransom. Not just any wife, mind, but his favorite. Persia refused to pay of course, and now he would never see his wife again.

January 24th saw another move of Turkish aggression, this time against Al-Djazir. The Sultan offered it 'protection', and made it nothing more than a tributary state to the Ottoman Empire. Shortly later, Ismail declared himself supreme commander of the Army, the first in a line of planned reforms to centralize the Empire. He hoped a strong centralized state would better be able to defend itself against its enemies. On February 15th, his first move saw the Army divided into two groups. One stationed itself near the Turkish border, while the other went with Ismail to the border with the Mongol Khanates.

Suleyman I became Ottoman Sultan in September, and the Shah decided this might be a chance to become friends with the Turks, and turn the Persian armies against India for conquest. Assuming, of couse, they could defeat the Mughals. Suleyman's first act as Sultan was to demand the Keys of Hungary, secring the Muslim position in the Balkans once and for all. The Hungarian ambassador was delayed by the government as the pathetic Christians searched for allies. In January 1521, Ismail wrote a letter to Suleyman in support of Ottoman expansion into the Balkans, and in return was gifted with 200 ingots of gold from the Sultan. Ismail used the money to begin cleansing Armenia of heretics.

Other than the increase in Safavid-Ottoman relations, the only other event of note in 1521 was the conclusion of a war in India, where Sindh became a vassal of Baluchistan.

In Janury 1522, the Shah received a vission from Allah. He saw Tblisi burning, and the banner of Islam flying from its citadel. This was surely a sign that Allah wanted him to launch a Jihad against the Christians of Kakheti. He sent his Eastern armies northwards to prepare.

screensave28wv.png

The Christian nation of Kakheti​

In April, his troops began marching across the borders of Persia, and fought several simple battles against the outnumbered Christians. In May, Cuha Sultan, a prominant general in Tabriz, had a son. Much was the rejoicing across the Empire, and it was doubly so when the siege of Tblisi began in June.

screensave35so.png

The siege of Tblisi begins​

On April 3rd, 1523, the walls of Tblisi collapsed and the King of Kakheti was beheaded. It became a part of the Empire on the 9th.

screensave41aj.png

The new addition to the Empire​

Many maps were obtained from the Christians, most notably regarding the Christian nation of England. It was previously beleived to be a small Duchy centered in a town called Kalay. The new maps revealed that it was, in fact, an island kingdom. And the town was called Calais!

screensave57ic.png

Maps obtained from the Christians​

On April 14th, two more tax collectors were dispatched to the Meched and Berman provinces. In August, a fireball was sighted in the southern skies. November 13th brought a Christian crusade against the small African tribe of Mombasa. Surely this was what Allah had warned of with his fire.

1524 brought about another letter to the Turks, telling them the Shah's ideas for Shi'ite-Sunni cooperation. Unfortunately, he never lived to see his plan implemented. A plague struck in May, and on the 24th, Shah Ismail I Safavi succumbed to disease. He was succeded by his son Thamasp I.

Last edited:
That was great, it´s your first aar, but you write like a veteran, :D
Cool choice of nation, just be sure to destroy the Mughals before they grow to strong and destroy you instead. Anyways, keep up the good work.

I like it. Good and simple writing. Easy to read. Keep it up.

Thanks! One small problem-I misspelled my general's name! Anyway, another update should come tomorrow. I'm finding these guys much easier than the Timurids I attempted previously.

L'Afrique said:
Many maps were obtained from the Christians, most notably regarding the Christian nation of England. It was previously beleived to be a small Duchy centered in a town called Kalay. The new maps revealed that it was, in fact, an island kingdom. And the town was called Calais!
Is this based on historical fact? If so, it's a bit amusing...

No, I made it up, but the Safavid maps were pretty archaic. Their knowledge of Spain ended with the borders of Cordoba, and they barely knew of France. Heck, we didn't even know we bordered the Mughals for a while. And now, another update. It seems Safavid follows the rule for Eastern nations: The good monarch lives for 5 years, and bad one for 50. I hate this guy...

Thamasp I: Part 1​

In the second month of Thamasp's reign, the Ottoman Empire launched another righteous crusade against the infidels of Hungary. Two months later in June, the Khanates of Uzbek and Khiva struck southwards toward the Mughal Empire. The Sultan of Khiva was killed in this war, and in January of 1525 Haji rose to the throne as his successor. Shah Thamasp exchanged maps with the Khivans as a sign of friendship.

The first all-volunteer Safavid regiment was founded in April, 5000 riders from Tabaristan. Thamasp opened his relations with the Ottomans in June, informing Suleyman that the Shi'a of Persia still seought friendship with the Sunni of Turkey. June of 1526 saw more good fortune for Thamasp. Christianity had become all but extinct in Armenia, and the Armenian governor had agreed to stop smuggling gold to rebels in Kakheti.

Thamasp, seeing the Mughal empire dissolving under the Uzbek onslaught, sent his armies forward against them on the first of August, 1526. On the 23rd, a string of events in the Balkans that the Shah really couldn't follow lead to a three way war between Austria, Turkey, and Hungary. The Austrians also gained Bohemia-Moravia as vassal state. In September, Safavid forces defeated the Mughals in the north of their territory and laid siege to Kabul. This victory was offset by rumors off a bastard son of Thamasp's. A political crisis followed, and the Empire was temporarily destabilized.

screensave114ju.png

The Siege of Kabul​

Tunisia was conquered by the heathens of Spain in early 1527. The brave Tunisians had killed many thousands of Spaniards, but the overwhelming hordes of infidels was too much for the small nation. The Ottomans made significant gains in Europe in summer, with the cession of two Hungarian provinces for peace, and on the same day a siege was initiated in the province of Quetta. Within days Kabul fell. With three triumphs in the space of a week, Thamasp had become quite popular. (Though he had very litle to do with any of it.)

screensave211nr.png

New Order in the Balkans​

Quetta fell in June 1529, after siege by troops from all three nations at war with the Mughals. September saw a revolt by the Sunnnis in Baghdad, but they were crushed quickly under the hooves of the Shah's riders.

screensave136ax.png

The Shah's riders prepare to crush the rebels​

On March 7th, Safavid troops attacked Qandahar. Uzbek troops, rather than Safavid, had breached executed Quetta's governor, so the Shah seen fit to grant them the province. He expected the Mughals would collapse with the fall of this last province.

screensave151us.png

THe Siege of Qandahar​

The infrastucture of Persia had grown significantly since the Safavid dynasty had taken power, and February 1531 the Shah considered building an academy to the arts, though he decided he didn't have the funds in the end. The 17th saw the surrender of the Mughals, and Qandahar was ceded to the Safavids.

screensave172mg.png

The Qandahar province​

Cuha Sultan, the general who had orchestrated the fall of Kabul, died of natural causes on March 1st. Uzbek seized the province of Quetta in May, ending the Mughal wars. This marked the end of the 'Ismaili' era of success, and the beginning of the 'Thamaspi' era of stagnation.

Last edited:
Ah, the anticipated tradition of long-lived terrible monarchs, bestowed with honorifics of 'Still not Dead'!

Ah yes, the eastern crappy monarchs. Long may you stay away from the saved game file.

Still, a good start. Interesting trying to pacify the Ottomans! What would you like to do if you ever get another decent monarch?
:rofl:

Cool AAR so far! Persia is an intriguing nation, and being Shi'a, you'll have lots of CB's. Have fun!

About Thamasp: is the kind of leader where you would welcome a -3 stability event if it got rid of him.

Safavids have so much possibilities with all those lovely CBs against sunnis.Convert all heretics back to right way of Islam!

For your first AAR, I agree that you write very well indeed. This is so far an excellent, and entertaining read.

I wish you luck with all those CB's. I played Persia once, and went over the deep end with all those wars, bringing my kingdom down in an inferno of wars against everyone.

I trust you will do better. :)

CB's are "Casus Belli's" which basically means "Cause of War" so it means it negates some of the negative effects caused by declaring war, such as the minus 1 stability for NOT having a CB.

Good AAR, and just let me say that after bad monarchs you will get Abbas the Great who is an absolutely superb monarch so use him wisely.