• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(6777)

Field Marshal
Dec 10, 2001
Preface

This is my story. Or rather, part of it - as I am as old as the universe itself and would not bore you with all of the sordid details of my past. For the purposes of this narration, however, let us simply agree to start when the planet that you call “the Earth” first entered my sphere of consciousness. In fact this was years ago as well, as I paid interest in it much as you might observe a brightly coloured stone lying on a beach full of other brightly coloured stones. Pretty, but nothing special. And I had other fish to fry.

Over time my passive interest began to change. I became aware of creatures in the sea; watched with interest as the first tentative steps –slitherings actually - were made to populate the vast and lush land areas. Gradually, I became captivated by the wealth and diversity evolving before me, and I resolved to make my mark upon this world and claim it for my own.

The problem, unfortunately, was that I lacked a corporal form – ever since a slight misunderstanding with another of my species back before the mists of time parted and quantum mechanics gained sway. I will never forget…oh; but let us save that for another day.

As I was saying, I had this problem. I spent some time spent pondering my alternatives and experimenting somewhat. My first serious attempt was to infuse a living object with my being – a veloceraptor as it happened. But the creature was resistant to my attempts to dominate it since its brain was incorrectly wired and it lacked a consciousness and self-awareness with which I could work my particular brand of magic. Also the stress of reaching out my essence over such a great distance exhausted me and I was forced to withdraw.

Next, I discovered that I could reach into the stones of the earth and partially infuse them – particularly the metal you call iron – but the fragmentation of the earth posed a problem, the atmosphere acted as a shield and prevented me from fully exerting my power, and I could see no real way to further act if I was spread out so diffusely across the planet. However, if I could find a deposit large enough, and near enough to living creatures, then I could act upon them from the confines of the metal. The trouble was that the metal needed to be pure and concentrated…and some particular shapes were better than others but didn’t occur naturally on this planet.

Then I began to observe a fine dust, raining from the sky and onto the planet. Meteors! Of course. Infuse a sufficiently large meteor that it could survive the atmosphere, nudge it into a collision orbit, and “presto” I would be there. I cast about for one of the largest or these dense rocks I could find and located a beauty. After several decades of careful infusion, my being was entirely bound within the metallic lattices of the asteroid and I drew upon my will and gave a little push towards a densely populated land mass.

I suppose I should have foreseen the results, but I was never really very good at applied physics, momentum, and stuff like that. I suppose that can be justified by the fact that I never had any use for it, being incorporeal and all. At any rate, my chosen vessel dutifully slammed full force into the earth; pulverized several hundred square miles of the planet; set off vast, raging forest fires; filled the sky with dense smoke and ash that entirely blocked the sun’s life-giving force; and caused the extinction of virtually every living creature. This, I decided, was something of a set back.

To make matters worse, the terrific force of the impact had liquefied the meteor and in the surprise of it all I leapt free and lost my hold. Like a whiplash on a back stroke, I recoiled to the cool chill of inter-galactic space and I was no further towards my goal and probably had just eliminated any possibility of there being anything left to rule anyway.

I took a quick look, and discovered that a few creatures had survived the inferno and the nuclear winter, and showed some signs of making a recovery. It would take, probably, 50 or 100 million years, but they’d probably make it. I sat back and contemplated my error while watching them frolic in the fields, take to the sky, and eat one another.

You’re looking at me rather strangely. Is there anything wrong? Did you not understand something that I said? Oh. I see. Well, it has to do with energy-matter conversion and…no, that’s not it? Well, perhaps I should press on and maybe that will offer you the explanation you seek.

The problem, as I saw it, was to get enough of myself on the planet in as cohesive a shape as possible, without blowing the whole place up again. Not as easy a task as you might think – but fortunately there are thousands upon millions of asteroids from which to choose. I found a perfect candidate in orbit around Neptune. Solid iron core…dense rock shell…a little large, but otherwise serviceable.

To deal with the size issue, I brought another boulder from the belt and had it knock several chunks off – one of which, I believe, you now call Pluto. Then I had to figure out exactly the right collision course to intercept the Earth at such an angle that I could gently fall to the ground. By the time I had figured all of that out and set my plans in motion, I noticed that the creature “man” had evolved. Upon close examination, it seemed perfect! Self-aware, opposable thumbs, already fairly socially advanced and starting to experiment with stone tools…really the only down-side was that it was bipedal, but I was sure I could work with that. The best part, however, was the wiring of the creatures’ brains. Absolutely perfect!

You’re looking at me strangely again. I don’t understand why you seem so upset. I only mean that the neural network had so many hidden places, so many redundancies, was so easy to manipulate, that it would be a cinch to influence and perhaps even dominate. It was, in a word, ideal.

Unfortunately, there just isn’t any easy way to land several tons of iron gently when you’re dropping it from a height of several hundred million kilometres. I did the best that I could, but in the end I was buried under a pile of rubble and was forced to cram myself into a much smaller lump of iron than I had originally intended. The net result being that I was locked away in this prison…so close I could smell it, but not quite close enough that I could act as of yet. I seethed with frustration but decided to bide my time. Boring, but not damaging, as I am immortal.

All of this changed once day, a couple of million years later. July 3rd in the year 1413 to be precise.

A stroke of luck. On that fateful morn, a minor who lived near Damascus discovered me while prospecting. Well, to be honest, he didn’t so much “find” me as he got close enough that I could nudge him into unearthing me. He seemed to know what he was doing, since he took me directly to a man in the city who appreciated me for what I was – or at least appeared to be. The largest piece of pure iron he had ever seen. Yes, he was a smith. Just what I had been waiting for.

He began to think of all the possible things he could make of me. I wrapped myself around his thoughts and very clearly directed him to turn me into steel and mould me into the shape of a long blade. The blade of a sword…perhaps the best possible shape for me to wield my influence in the future. This was considerably more difficult than I had anticipated – directing his thoughts like that. Could I have erred in my judgement? But no…

I won’t go into the details of what he did – some secrets should remain with the true practitioners of a craft – but suffice it to say that it was a trifle uncomfortable and quite time-consuming. Once fashioned into a gleaming, brilliant blade, however, I was already feeling considerably more powerful, though I could sense the need for more. I cast about for a way to link myself more strongly to him, but it turned out that he came up with the solution himself. While honing me, he accidentally cut his finger and a drop of blood splashed brilliant red onto my face.

He swore. I see you, my audience cringe.

I was in ecstasy. The blood infused my steel and I felt the link forming with the smith and the pathways throughout his brain opening, unresisting, to my touch. I also felt the beginning of an insatiable thirst…a thirst for blood that lingers to this day…a thirst to drink a bottomless ocean of it.

It quickly became apparent that I would not be satisfied with this artisan. Though skilled in his trade, he was inept at actually wielding me. Prod as I might, I could not goad him into enlisting in the army and I had to settle for guiding him into dark alleys to slaughter the innocent at night. Which is where I learned my first lesson about humankind. They don’t like these sort of actions. The smith was caught and hanged, and I became the proud possession of a nobleman’s son. Or rather, he became a proud possession of mine when a slight nick dripped his blood unto my surface; and I resolved to be more cautious with my subjects until I had learned the ins and outs of their society.

For the next five years we were in bliss. We engaged in conflict after conflict; mostly small scale battles but at times we were treated to a pitched battle. There, the carnage we wrought was truly amazing as he allowed me to flow through his being and guide his arm into the softest and tenderest of the meat of our enemies. I felt sated, but at the same time strangely unfulfilled. There must be more, I thought. There was more, though I did not discover this until December of 1418.

We were in Chagatai Khanate and were listening to a man tell of the most recent exploits of Shâh Rûkh, the ruler of the neighbouring Timurid Empire. Apparently he practically bathed in blood, having cut a swath through a sea of enemies over the past five or so years of his reign. He was feared, and there was talk of uniting some men and dealing with this savage.

Needless to say, I had to meet the man – this ruler who bathed in blood.

I resolved – or rather I compelled the nobleman to resolve – to journey up into the province of Samarkand. We did this, killing a few small raiding parties of four or five men along the way. In fact, by the time we were nearing the Timurid capital we discovered that there was a bounty on our heads – actually, my host’s head. So it came as some surprise to the guards at the gate that I made my Damascus nobleman march right up and demand to see the Shâh.

“Oh. You’ll see him alright,” said the guard, and clubbed him over the head. My poor possessor (possessee) had tried to draw me, but I chose to be “stuck” at the time.

And we did see the Shâh: at the gladiator games held to celebrate the end of the old year and the start of a new. We were thrown into a stadium with a hundred other armed convicts, prisoners and miscellaneous ne’er-do-wells with the promise that the last man standing would be given freedom. And all around us, in plush seats, were the spectators, calling out for death, for maiming, but never for mercy. And at the head of them all, the Shâh. I could sense, instantly, that in this place, at this time, I had found my true home.

Only one problem remained, and that was quickly answered. As my host allowed me to take complete control over his body, we began to sing. I slew them quickly, or slowly…but as painfully and with as much aplomb as possible. When my steel clashed against any other weapon I could cause it to shatter. Such a skill, I thought, would catch the eye of a king.

Finally there was only one other prisoner left…a diminutive man with a large cleaver. We approached with confidence and I could feel the elation at our near release in my host. So it was with great joy that I clamped down on my desire and allowed myself to hesitate just a fraction of a second. Just long enough for the cleaver to begin to enter the neck of my possession as I split through the helm and into the head of his foe.

There was a roar form the crowd. Both were dead…a spectacular finish. I was picked up and cradled in the arms of a guard and he carried me gently to the throne of his king.

And just as the midnight hour sounded, the king reached forward grasped me in his hands. And I had a new possession.

I was looking forward to 1419 and the bloodshed it would bring.

Author's note:

All of this somewhat bloodthirsty preface brings us to the start of the tale. Playing the Timurid Empire, my aim is to be just about as bad as I can possibly be while getting away without being slaughtered by the rest of the world. I’ll try to keep my empire healthy and able to churn out thousands of fighting men and just see how long I can get away with it, and how long.

I have made a point of NOT reading the scripted events files, the monarchs and or leaders files, etc (if any) and I am blissfully ignorant of what lies in store for me.

Goals:
- never get above “very bad” reputation.
- try to avoid being higher than 0 stability
- survive until 1819 and be a world-power or leader at the end.

Rules:
- NEVER reload from an earlier saved game.
- NEVER look at the saved game files or anything that gives away any details of the future.
- NEVER refer to the map to decide which way to go or how to explore or who to go after next.

Coming soon: Chapter I – The Possession of Shâh Rûkh
Jan. 1, 1419 – March 7, 1447

Like the introduction and idea itself. Go for it.

Originally posted by MrT
Preface
Goals:
- never get above “very bad” reputation.
- try to avoid being higher than 0 stability
- survive until 1819 and be a world-power or leader at the end.

Rules:
- NEVER reload from an earlier saved game.
- NEVER look at the saved game files or anything that gives away any details of the future.
- NEVER refer to the map to decide which way to go or how to explore or who to go after next.

Coming soon: Chapter I – The Possession of Shâh Rûkh
Jan. 1, 1419 – March 7, 1447

I like the rules you've set up for yourself. What are the settings? Hard-Hard. Surviving by itself will be an impressive victory.

Joe

He got is a reward from Uglyduck when he made a VERY sensible post on a at the time very unruly board. Read about it in the sticky section of the GD-board.

And MrT I love your intro. This will be a pleasure to read.

Starting Conditions

I've been reading a number of discussions in the GD forum with interest. There's a fairly strong sentiment that playing on normal/normal is actually more challenging since the AI is less likely to exhaust the resources of a country. I'm not really all that worried about the difficulty levels though since I intend to walk as close a line to furious/furious as I possibly can.

On the othe hand, I'm not going to just lay waste to everything in my path since I think that will lead to certain death. The structure of the Timurid Empire sucks at the start. You're at -3 stab with an "extremely bad" reputation. Land tech 0, Naval tech (who cares) 0, Trade tech is interestingly at 1, Infrastructure is 0. I have 100 ducats, one nice force in Samarkand (10k/15k/0) and a pissy little army in the south somewhere (5k/5k/0).

To boot, even though the land size is quite large 3 of the provinces are colonies (1 level 5 and 2 level 6) and only 3 or 4 of 10+ provinces have any fortifications. I have 2 CoT's :) and more sheep than I know what to do with. :evil grin: Unfortunately I'm sunni and 50% of my population is shiite. And guess what? Other than my capital, only 2 other provinces are mongol culture so my production sucks.

So I think that being outright evil will destroy me too quickly and I really want these guys to survive until 1819. I think it will take some very careful babysitting at first until the defensive fortifications are built up, the economy is stronger, the tech is a little better, etc. I'm planning to stay in the very-bad or extremely bad range for at least the first 100 years before starting the plummet into the "despised by the entire world" or whatever it is category. To that end, some of my first intentions/conquests will be geared more towards vassalization as a means to improve my income before I go an a military annexing binge.

So far I've played up to May 1447 - just shortly after Shâh Rhûk bites the bullet - and I want to stay a bit ahead in the game versus my posting here so I can incorporate some "future" events into the narrative. As an example, I referenced being in the Chagate Khanate and a couple comments there are a bit of a set-up for Chapter 1 when they do, indeed, attack me.

This AAR will take a while to complete since I don't have the liberty of playing all the time...working 50+ hours a week, playing competitive (league) darts 3 nights a week, playing Empires In Arms one night a week, my SO does like to converse with me periodically though she plays on my team on 2 of the dart nights...it takes its toll.

At any rate, I'll be posting Chapter 1 later today when I finish writing it (it's a slow day at work...so far) and with any luck I'll have time to play the next 100 or so years this weekend.

TRUST ME, vassalization doesn't bring a great income. I've vassalized Spain, Austria, England, Savoy, Navarra and Wales and I still don't get more than 250 a year, while my total income is 2,300.

Damn. Oh well, I'll have to go back and get nasty...:)

Chapter 1 - Part 1

Chapter 1 – Shâh Rhûk Part 1

The Shâh was an extraordinary man. Strong on military skills, an excellent administrator and quite an adept at diplomacy. What he lacked, however, was a sound grasp of how to optimize his country to further his – now our – goals.

Timurid was a shambles. Sure, we held lots of provinces, however three of these, in the heart of the Empire, were still only colonial settlements – one of slightly more than 500 inhabitants and two of them with just over 600. Most provincial capitals were unfortified and we had a paltry 100 ducats in our treasury with which to implement change.

His reputation, however, I really had to appreciate. It was extremely bad. I found myself liking him more and more every day.

On the morning of January 1st, 1419, we sat down – or rather, he sat down and I leaned against his desk – and had our first of many heart-to-heart conversations. Whether he found this extraordinary, I don’t know. He certainly seemed to adapt to it quickly and never seemed ill at ease conversing with a four-foot-long length of polished steel.

“Not that I’m complaining,” I began, “ but I have some very specific reasons that I really dislike Christianity in general and I really must insist that you change your views on this matter.” This, of course, harkens back to that nasty confrontation back in the mists of time that I alluded to earlier.

He looked puzzled. I didn’t bother to explain.

“These Catholics! These Orthodox Christians! I hate them all and I intend to eradicate them from the face of the planet if I get the chance. The Shiites, however, I can tolerate and since they make up a large percentage of our populace, I think perhaps that we ought to issue an edict that bans Christianity and allows complete tolerance for our Shiite brothers. I really don’t see the conflict between them and our own Sunni religious leaders.”

He acceded to my demand.

Over the course of a few hours we mapped out our strategy for the coming months. We were in serious need of improvements to our army, for at their current pathetic level (0) they are fodder for the dogs. We decided to invest every possible ducat in hiring and training our forces as well as developing new strategies and techniques. I estimated that this would take about 18 months and would not impact seriously on any other aspect of our position.

I also felt that a shift in our domestic policy was in order. While having virtually maximized the quantity of troops we could call upon, they were weak and just as likely to run away from a battle as not. A slight shift towards quality would rectify this, at the cost of a little temporary disruption to our internal stability. This, Shâh informed me, wasn’t a problem as we were already as dismally unstable as we could possibly be. Great! I hate order and stability and intend to keep things that was…just to make sure we’re always on our toes.

Now the Shâh seemed bent on his next war. “Don’t worry,” I told him, “war will come to us with the kind of reputation we have. However it might be a bit prudent to reduce the number of fronts we must cover until we are truly strong and ready to pounce.”

“What do you mean?” he asked.

“Well, it’s all very well and good to have designs on everyone you’ve ever met,” I assured him, “but it might be a trifle difficult to have to fend off assaults from every single one of our neighbours at the same time. I think that we need to see if we can scare up some diplomats to cement more stable relations on some of our borders.”

“Fine! I’ll see if I can find any.”

There were none at hand, so we placed an ad in the local supplement and waited.

Here's a map of the starting position

April 1st rolled around and a FOOL! Finally answered our petition. I had the Shâh send him off to see Hoggar, the ruler of our vassal state of The Kaliphate, with an offer for an alliance.

“Alliance!” the Shâh sputtered. “But we intend to destroy them…”

“All in good time, my dear friend. All in good time.” I was thinking of the veiled threats I had heard in the bar in Chagatai Khanate. I told the king of these but he had never heard of them so he seemed unconcerned. “How can you not know of them?” I demanded. “They’ve got to be nearby somewhere since I was just there.”

“Well you tell me where they are then,” he retorted. To which I had no reply since having a sense of direction isn’t something you need when you’re incorporeal and I hadn’t acquired it upon being molded into a sword. I guess time would tell.

We did receive a prompt reply from The Kaliphate, accepting our proposal. “Death to our enemies,” it said, and I smiled to myself…oh yes…death indeed.

As an interesting side note, a man in funny costume appeared in June to tell us of some far off land called “Anglia” and showed us roughly where it was on our map. Having no use for such information at the time, we had him disemboweled. He seemed surprised.

We did have a few more responses to our call for diplomats. The first came about a month later, in July, and was immediately dispatched…er…sent to Daulat of the Uzbek Kaganate with an offer to join our alliance. He accepted. Similarly in October, another diplomat was able to bring Delhi into the fold.

The year ended peacefully enough, and we even came across a reference to “India” in a text we had looted from a caravan and added it to our map.

On new year’s day the Shâh was really pissed! “We haven’t fought a single battle or even a minor skirmish in over a year,” he stormed. “I’m getting blisters on my ass just sitting around here and talking. I want ACTION!”

His wish was satisfied a day later as a stranger rode up to our gates, unrolled a piece of parchment, and in a loud voice proclaimed: “Be it known that the great peoples of Chagatai Khanate declare war on the person of the Shâh Rhûk and all of his filthy serfs.”

“Who are they?” Rhûk asked me. “I mean, do we even know where they live?”

“Nope,” I replied. “But I imagine we’ll find out.”

We did, a month later, as a scrying session that we held showed us their capital city of Dsungaria on our map. Of course we had no idea how to get there, but it was a start. They were almost due east of our capital of Samarkand, and not really all that far away either. We also learned the name of its ruler: Uways Khân. Strange that we did not know this already, but I guess that just goes to show the temperament of my new possession.

I grew slightly nervous about having only 10,000 foot and 15,000 horse in the area since both Kirgisistan and Tadjikistan were undefended. I sent out a call for forces: 7,000 cavalry from Samarkand, another 3,000 from nearby provinces, and a couple thousand infantry. I received word that they would be ready within a few months.

The news continued to pour in, almost none of it good. 2600 enemy troops had appeared from nowhere and captured Kirgisistan on February 2nd, and Tadjikistan falls to 4050 men three days later, just as I am preparing marching orders for our forces. The only bright note was that word reached us of a place called “Bangalore” which we dutifully added to our map for future “consideration”.

On the 6th of February, we tell General Bashturk to take our full army to deal with the enemy forces in Tadjikistan. As he marches, we get word that the enemy has now consolidated his forces all in that province, so we surmise that to get there that quickly the 2600 must all have been cavalry. No matter. On February 25th Bashturk draws up on the field of battle and finds himself facing a full 6600 enemy cavalry. Our forces, fully prepared for war, lay into the enemy and annihilate them in a two day pitched battle in which we suffered only minimal casualties (some 2800 infantry and 550 cavalry) and recapture the province.

I send orders that Bashturk’s sub-commander, Aras, should take half the force and march on to take back Kirgisistan. On March 2nd, however, an enemy force of 14,000 horse sweep down upon our forces and are caught in a brilliant pincer movement. Though the battle lasts eight days, they are wiped out while we suffer only mild losses of another 1200 infantry and 2000 cavalry. Seeking to find the source of these incursions, I instruct Bashturk to take his cavalry and make for the enemy capital to try to scout a passage for the balance of our forces.

Meanwhile, Aras resumes his march and arrives on March 25th to retake the province. I instruct him to stand there until he receives new orders – once we have figured out how to get at the enemy encampments. While he is waiting, he repells a force of 3,000 enemy infantry on May 10th without undue difficulties.

Finally, on May 28th, Bashturk reports back from Tadjikistan with news that he has discovered an enemy province called Tian Shan which is defended by 6000 men and is the only area that lies between us and our enemy’s capital. Further, this province’s main city is un-walled and should be easily occupied.

I immediately send our forces surging forwards to meet them. Bashturk, now commanding 11,500 horse arrives first on June 10th and is able to eliminate the enemy in three days of hedge-row fighting. His scouts also observe that no force is currently occupying Dsungaria (though there is a small fortress there). We know nothing of the lands beyond, but I send Bashturk and several thousand horse to their capital immediately, trusting in Aras to bring up the infantry to secure his rear and then move on to lay siege. The remaining cavalry force I hold back since there appears to be some trouble brewing to the west – if the troop build up is any indication – and we may still be walking into a trap. I wish we knew how large the enemy holding are, or had reliable reports from neighbouring provinces.

While they march, we receive an embassy from Oman requesting that we enter into a trade agreement with them. We decline by eating the messenger’s heart.

Our small cavalry force arrives in Dsungaria on June 27th, followed half a month later by Aras and the infantry. With 7775 infantry and 4933 cavalry, we will lose a small number to attrition but should make reasonably short work of the battlements. Famous last words…

Here's a detail from the war in 1420

In August I am informed that our policy of army improvement has bourn fruit and that our land forces should be considered improved <to land tech 1>. Having thus achieved that short-term goal, the Shâh and I agree to distribute our investments a little more broadly, spending about one third each on technological improvements in land, trade, and infrastructure.

Later that month, I see that our western neighbour Qara Koyunlu (with whom we have terrible relations) is besieged by a force from Ak Koyunlu and Dulkadir. Nervous about such aggression so close to our undefended border, I send 7,000 cavalry from our eastern front to a patrol in Lut – just in case…

Shâh Rhûk and I celebrate the end of our second year together, waiting for this interminable siege of the enemy fortress to end. We consider sending someone to replace Aras, but decide to let him have a few more months before we have him throttled. Rhûk says he has a special surprise for me, but it isn’t quite ready yet…

Well, the surprise is revealed. Apparently there had been some rampant enthusiasm for the water down in our only port city (Hormous) and he commissioned 5 warships which arrived there on January 20th <random event: Enthusiasm for the Navy>. I didn’t know what to say, but I suggested that he alter his diet somewhat and quit smoking that leafy green plant he’d been into. “After all,” I said, “we aren’t investing a penny right now in naval technology.” To this, he replied, “What’s a penny?”

Well, the idle navy boys had a stoke of luck in April. It seems that while one lad was on furlough down at the beach, he saw a bottle floating in the sea with a small note tucked inside. He swam out to retrieve it and received directions as to where Mysore is. These were forwarded to strategic command and sketched out on our map. All we have to do is figure out how to get there…

We also declined a second trade offer from Oman, but let this one live – much to my disappointment.

The world took on a sunnier view on May 10th when that incompetent moron Aras finally broke into the Chagatai Khanate capital of Dsungeria. The rewards were great, however, as he was able to reach their war room before the maps were destroyed and is now in possession of their entire geographical knowledge. I am surprised that this Khanate has yet another 7 provinces to the east, and has broders with a place called Tibet and a place called China. We also note that a force is building in adjacent Bogda Shawn. These remaining provinces have terrible forage values, are largely unfortified, but are brimming with grain. I can only guess at how many enemy forces we may have to contend with before this war is over.

I immediately order Aras to move on Bogda Shawn. A day later we receive a peace proposal from their nutcake ruler. He wants us to pay 10 ducats in indemnities! If he thinks we’re going to pay him, he’s seriously delusional. We tell the messenger to head back…but that’s all he’s taking. The rest of his body we ground up and fed to the sheep.

On May 28th, Aras arrives in Bogda Shawn and easily defeats the 2000 new recruits and captures the city. I tell him to press on to Chagatai where an army of 3000 is assembled. This, he does, and engages the enemy on June 20th; the battle lasting five days before the enemy are wiped out and the city is taken.

Sensing victory is close at hand, and seeing no further enemy forces, I split the army into several sections and send them towards the remaining provincial capitals. Of these only Qilian Pendi is fortified so I send the infantry there while the cavalry is used to capture the balance. One by one they fall. Urumqi on July 7th, Sichuan on the 19th, Qaidam Pendi on August 1st, and we initiate the siege of Qilian Pendi on the 19th of August. Satisfied that it only remains to capture this province, all forces other than the infantry are recalled to assemble in Herat.

By this time, our enemy seems to have come to his senses and is at least offer to pay us money rather than the other way around. He is still delusional, however, as the offers are absurdly low: 10 ducats, then 15. We actually thought about his October 6th proposal…Tian Shan, Qinghai, Qaidan Pendi and Xinjiang. But after some discussion we decided that our goal at this point is to vassalize the entire country so we have a nice, large buffer from the masses of Chinese to the east.

On the other hand, when a Chinese ambassador arrived on November 15th to request a trade agreement, we decided to go along with the idea.

We celebrate New Year’s Eve, idly wondering how we’ve managed to slip up to –2 stability and hoping that he siege of Qilian Pendi won’t take too long as our populace is growing weary of this war.

Map from 1421 as we finish off the last seige

Well, we’ve made it to the end of 1421.

I’d like your feedback as to whether this is too detailed an account? Some of the coming years will flash by if/when I’m not waging war…but others could be quite complex. Is all this information overkill?

--> Edit: the links are now fixed

Last edited:
Damn. There were supposed to be a couple screenies in there, but I've never tried posting them before so I probably did something wrong. Could someone who knows please PM me with the details since I can't find anything in the FAQ to help me.

--->Edit: Thanks for the help folks...it's fixed.

Last edited:
Tripod doesn't allow to show the images hosted on their servers to be displayed on a third party site. I've tried it myself before.

Good start, MrT! I especially enjoyed your introduction. Annex those Chagatais! And The Kaliphate! And the Uzbeks! And Delhi! And... oh, hell, just annex them all :D

If it's any help, after getting the evil red 'x' where the screenshots should have been, I opened the properties and copied the URL to another window, where it gave me the option to either open the pictures from the current location or to download them (in other words, it didn't actually take me to the site).

Screenie links fixed.

Okay...I took some time out and created a sub-web of my Tripod site so I have somewhere to post and link the damn screenies.

Index page is here as well as individual pages with the gifs. It ain't fancy, but it's functional. Sorry about the annoying pop-up ad.

In case anyone's a EIA fan...here's a sort-of AAR for our on-going game where I'm Russia...

Next update for Timurid forthcoming shortly...

kill! maim! dismebowel! :D i like the personality of the sword. it reminds me of that talking sword in baldur's gate 2. "can we go kill something now? pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease?!?" :D

The Quiet Before the Storm...we prepare

Chapter 1 – Shâh Rhûk Part 2

Things began to improve in January as our investment in domestic stability paid off somewhat <stab increase to –1>. Over the course of the next few months as we wait for the siege of Qilian Pendi to be resolved, we declined a trade offer from Oman and also experience a slight improvement in our infrastructure <now level 1>, also as a result of our investments. The Chagatai Khanate send ever-increasing monetary offers for peace, but we are resolved to make them our vassals so we decline them all.

On April 6th we were offered a sale of offices which we couldn’t afford and didn’t want to borrow against, so we declined and our sense of “victory” was slightly diminished.

Finally, on the 19th of December, the city fell and we found ourselves in control on all of the enemy territory. The Shâh was pressing me to annex all but the capital province, but I was somewhat afraid of the reaction of our neighbours and our ability to repell them so I was able to convince him to bide his time and vassalize them for now. Annexation would come later. Our demands included a cash reparation of 75 ducats as well, and the peace deal was concluded on December 20th.

Looking inwards, we decide to spend some of this cash to send a colonist to Lut to establish a small city there.

Our alliances and vassals, 1422

1423-1431

Using our annual tithe, we send a second colonist – this time to Meched. Both provinces successfully established cities (on Feb 18th and March 1st respectively).

Of course Rhûk was chomping at the bit to initiate new hostilities, but our standing army was not large and all around us were large, well-defended territories. “The price of glory must sometime be patience.” I told him. ”If we move too soon, when our enemies are strong and we are weak, then we will ultimately fail.”

“Think of a snake, coiled to spring on its prey but patiently waiting for that prey to come within range. This is what we must do: conserve energy, preserve and improve our forces, develop our economy, increase our trade, and then wait until the opportune moment arrives to strike our enemies when they least expect it.”

After an extensive discussion, my will prevailed and he acceded to my wisdom. The better part of the next decade was spent in achieving just these goals…though this is not to say that we didn’t have our share of problems and set-backs along the way.

In 1424, for instance, we felt that our slight investment had paid off <naval combat level 1> but we beset by some highly negative reaction to some of our government policies – admittedly some poor ones - that saw our domestic stability slide and resulted in the burning of several of our top-secret development facilities <stab –1, infra –250, trade –250>. Fortunately this disruption was short-lived as our ongoing investments recovered the stability loss in the following year.

Also in 1425, a small group of religious fanatics stirred up the populace in Kerman and we were forced to send a cavalry corps there to put down a revolt. Apparently word of this rapid victory spread and stimulated some enthusiasm in our military as 5000 men presented themselves for active duty in Mekran in August of 1426.

We received a petition from one of our cities in 1427, demanding that we return their old rights, which we agreed to do at the expense of some loss of our central governing ability. In part I must blame myself for this as our economy was running very “lean” at the time while we were sending merchants out left, right and center to establish new commercial ventures to bolster our income.

On the night of June 24, 1428, there was a huge glowing ball of fire seen streaking across the sky. Of course I knew what it was - and began wondering if perhaps another of my brethren was to grace us with his or her presence – but the meteor turned out to be one of those flukes of nature and after a year of watchfulness, the public forgot about it and resumed their day to day activities. This was, in large part, aided by further investments in domestic stability.

Meanwhile we had further expanded our colony in Kerman and after a couple years and several failed attempts had also established a small city in the province in late 1429. This was welcome news since earlier in the year we had been forced to borrow 200 ducats in order to be able to send a 50-ducat gift to celebrate the end of a great feud; and while this resulted in increased stability in the region it also pushed our inflation rate to a little over 11%.

The early part of the next decade saw some high points and some low points. A smith in Surkhandarya, who specialized in making shears for the large sheep-shearing industry there, accidentally came upon a new method for manufacturing scimitars and established a profitable business in 1430 that resulted in an increase in both our tax income and contributed to our further research in these techniques. However the following year there was a nasty - but short-lived – plague in Quetta that eliminated almost three quarters of the population before is could be brought under control, and left the 2200 remaining citizens deeply scarred.

As 1431 drew to a close, Rhûk graced me with a new scabbard which he called a “viscount”. Frankly, I couldn’t have cared less, but he seemed to think it a great gesture so I went along with it.

“It seems to me,” the Shâw said conversationally in the spring of 1432, “that we have achieved most of the goals we set for our development. I am not getting any younger and I would like to have great conquests for future generations to remember me by.”

I found it hard to argue with him. Our standing army was still relatively small but we now have a reserve of cash and I feel that perhaps our populace will go along with such a plan. “We’ll begin our preparations, and select a target once our forces are massed and in good spirits,” I replied. “And get that damn whet stone away from me!”

It turned out that this was a fortuitous preparation, for only three months later, in mid June, we received a letter from the ruler of Qara Koyunlu. While the gist of the letter was probably well-intentioned, he finished off by suggesting that perhaps my Shâh might be suffering somewhat in his infirm, old age, and might benefit from the sweater which he had dispatched with the courier who had carried the letter.

Now this, you must understand, was a very grave insult. In two ways! First of all, of course, we were the single largest wool producing nation on the face of the earth; so to presume to send the Shâh a woolen sweater was beneath contempt. He was also still quite a fit man, so to describe him as “infirm” was akin to calling him a goat. We immediately ordered our forces to amass on their border, and on September 1st we declared war.

The ambassador from the Mameluks was less then impressed, and honoured their alliance with Qara Koyunlu to come to their aid. We, on the other hand, did not wish to risk souring our relationship with our allies by involving them in our war, and decided to “go it alone”. Of course there was some decline in our stability, but once word of the diplomatic insult made the rounds it turned out to be quite limited.

We immediately sent 13,000 cavalry under commander Khalid to engage a small force in Kirkuk. After a quick and bloody battle, they capture the unfortified province on September 14th and push on towards Tabriz to meet up with a second group of 4700 foot and 6350 horse already marching there under the command of Bayburt. The latter force arrives on the 28th and initiates a siege, while Khalid joins them on the 5th of October.

After a few more skirmishes – but no real sign of the Mameluks – we settle in for a long siege. As with our former enemies, the enemy emissaries arrive periodically with various peace proposals. At first they demand reparations from us, then a return to status quo, and finally several offers of cash. We decline them all.

Meanwhile we send diplomats out to some of our nearby (and not so nearby) countries. The Shâh had four daughters of marriageable age and we managed to secure marriages for them before the end of the year: one in The Hedjaz, one in Aden, one in Gujarat, and one in China (of all places).

We also conducted some rather elaborate negotiations with our new vassals (the Chagatai Khanate) which concluded with them joining our alliance on the 26th of December and declaring war on Qara Koyunlu as well. Once the war is over, most of our flanks will be adequately protected and we can begin to concentrate our attentions on the ultimate prize: the rich lands of India.

1433 – 1443

With the success of the siege of Tabriz in July 14333, we force Qara Koyunlu to become our vassals and pay us reparations of 75 ducats. While these are not great victories, nor are we gaining territory or much income, I am able to persuade the Shâh that hey are essential ingredients for the future. Able to leave only minimal forces behind to protect our interests, we can launch a large scale assault with even our limited resources and not have to plunge into debt.

Our status as of August 1433

Fate, however, was not to help facilitate these plans. Throughout the course of the next decade we were continually in the depths of instability and on the brink of financial ruin. There were two instances of severe unhappiness among the peasantry (in 1435 and again in 1436) which resulted in revolts in virtually every province in the Empire. Heretics rose up in 1437 to induce wide-spread rioting in Isfahan, there was a highly uncooperative and outspoken philosopher that we chose not to deal with in 1438, the government policies of 1439 were very poor indeed, a boundary dispute with Delhi which we settled amicably in 1440, and various other and sundry events to keep us on our toes.

Not that all was bad. Various technologies improved somewhat: trade in 1433 <to level 2> and our land forces in 1439 <level 2>. We established new cantonments in Kushka in April of 1439 and are able to marry off the Shâh’s remaining daughter to Delhi in the same year. There was a gift to the state of 200 ducats in 1442 which was certainly a factor in us turning the corner as soon as we did.

And, fortunately, throughout all of this time the eyes and attentions of our neighbours were focused elsewhere and we never had to try to fend off an enemy that we certainly couldn’t have handled at the time. And so, finally, in 1443, we seemed to be beginning to make some headway once more. Our stability was still in the greatest depths, but we were used to that by now and had resolved to ignore the problem until a better solution presented itself. Our cash crunch was alleviated, our standing army was once again a respectable size, and it was time to begin focusing on the outside world again.

Our alliance with the Kaliphate, the Uzbek Kaganate, the Chagatai Khanate, and Delhi was due to expire in the middle of the year, so we sent a small, personal gift of 36 ducats to the Uzbeks in January as a sort of “advanced dowry” which facilitated the marriage of the Shâh’s niece to one of their ruler’s sons in February. By the time July rolled around, all four allies were willing to re-enter into a new alliance and Rhûk is so pleased that he gives me yet another new scabbard – this one called a “count”.

As the year draws to a close we arrange one more marriage – this time with Oman – and begin to discuss whether we are able to convince the public to go to war again. With some judicious investments in our stability we expect popular sentiment to rise to a sufficient level <i.e. in game terms, -2> sometime in mid 1444.

That decided we turn our thoughts towards selecting our first target; for this time I have promised Shâh Rhûk that we are strong enough and secure enough to begin planning our territorial campaigns with the ultimate goal being annexation of provinces and governments. I begin to wonder if perhaps the years are taking their toll on him, though, and whether I may be acting prematurely.

No matter, I say to myself. I can always find another hand to wield me.

Author's note:

Sorry about the stylistic departure. It occured to me that his would end up being the length of "War and Peace" if I kept to the same level of detail. It was also a very quiet couple of decades as far as my country's goals were concerned. I had to fight off and/or recover from a truely horrendous series of nasty random events; and with a starting inflation of 10% that was already growing without putting any cash in my coffers, and the virtually perminent -3 stab destroying my economy further, it was really just enough to keep sending little 4k or 5k cav corps around to deal witht he continual revolts.

I promise that the next few installments will be very bloody (as you can tell if you have taken a peak at the "index" page of the screenies) when the empire grows.

Originally posted by SideshowBob
I love your writing style Mr T, i can see this is going to be a fun AAR. Without spoiling anything i seriously doubt that we are going to be getting bored with the Timurids.

Err...um...yeah! :)

I've made it as far as 1572 in the game (I type at work during my quiet moments but play in the evenings I can so it will take me a while to catch up in the AAR) and I see what you mean. I'm starting to think that vassalizing (if not outright conquering) China may be in the books for the 1600's...or perhaps I should head the other direction.

I guess I'll have to make my mind up soon, but I have that nagging little thing in the back of my brain (history 101 from a million years ago that I can't quite remember) that tells me that I may be in for a really nasty time of it...I just can't recall if it's in the 1600's or the 1700's when the sh*t hits the fan.

I guess I'll find out! :( or maybe :)

Originally posted by MrT

I guess I'll have to make my mind up soon, but I have that nagging little thing in the back of my brain (history 101 from a million years ago that I can't quite remember) that tells me that I may be in for a really nasty time of it...I just can't recall if it's in the 1600's or the 1700's when the sh*t hits the fan.

I guess I'll find out! :( or maybe :)

Don't try to remember just let the game unfold. Its more fun that way.:D I catch myself sometimes trying to remember what happened when but I try to stop myself since it's more fun for the sh*t to hit the fan.:D :D

MrT also said:
"It occured to me that his would end up being the length of "War and Peace" if I kept to the same level of detail."

That happens to everyone at some point.;) Do the best you can I'm enjoying this AAR.

Joe

I like the detail. Good descriptions and writing style. I also think the guidelines you have set for yourself are a smart twist in AAR's.