• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(6777)

Field Marshal
Dec 10, 2001
<excerpt...beginning with the end of Book 1, Chapter IV...modified as suitable..in which we set the scene:>

Following his lead the company passed under the northern arch. They found themselves in a wide corridor. As they went along it the glimmer grew stronger, and they saw that it came through a doorway on their right. It was high and flat-topped, and the stone door was still upon its hinges, standing half-open. Beyong it was a large square chamber. It was dimly lit, but to their eys, after so long a time in the dark, it seemed dazzlingly bright, and they blinked as they entered.

Their feet disturbed a deep dust upon the floor, and stumbled among things lying in the doorway whose shapes they could not at frst make out. The chamber was lit by a wide shaft high in the further eastern wall; it slanted upwards and, far above, a small square patch of blue sky could be seen. The light of the shaft fell directly on a table in the middle of the room: a single oblong block, about two feet high, upon which was laid a great slab of white stone.

'It looks like a tomb,' muttered Frodo, and bent forwards with a curious sense of foreboding, to look more closely at it. Gandalf came quickly to his side. On the slab runes were deeply graven:

*&#*&)#!_)*%&^

'There are MrT's Runes, such as were used of old in England,' said Gandlaf. 'Here is written in the tongues of Men and Englanders:

MR T
CHANCELLOR OF ENGLAND.'

'He is dead then,' said Frodo. 'I feared it was so.' Gimli cast his hood over his face.

CHAPTER V

<snip>

There were many recesses cut in the rock of the walls, and in them were large iron-bound chests of wood. All had been broken and plundered; but beside the shattered lid of one there lay the remains of a book. It had bee slashed and stabbed and partly burned, and it was so stained with black and other dark marks like old blood that little of it could be read. Gandlaf lifted it carefully, but the leaves cracked and broke as he laid it on the slab. He pored over it for some time without speaking. Frodo and Gimli standing at his side could see, as he gingerly turned the leaves, that they were written by only a single hand, in runes, both of England and of Wales, and here and there in ASCII text.

At last Gandalf looked up. 'It seems to be a record of the fortunes of MrT's folk,' he said. 'I guess that it began with his coming to what was then England in 1419, at maximum aggresiveness and difficulty: the pages seem to have numbers referring to the years of their lord. The top page is marked January 1419 but the next is March 1426 so at least some pages are missing from the beginning. Listen to this!'

Gandalf began to read:

1419-21

We drove the French back from the shores, at heavy loss. Normandy is held, as are Calais, Caux and Poitou. Henry V met with a large force near Ile de France and repelled all who came near. He took the city and moved on, deeper into enemy territory. The man is truely a killing machine.

In the north, Scots harried our rear until reinforcements were sent to hold the mountains in Northumberland. Eventually they were pushed back and our northern army took the offensive. One by one their cities fell...until all of Scotland lay under our sword.

As we were pressed from all sides, I advised Henry to take a peace with Auvergne, Provence, Aragon, and Bourbonaise without terms - a white peace - which he negotiated. The French ambassador is to be put off until the war is fully in hand and the Scots are to be ignored.

Even through the bleating pleas for peace, we pursued the kilted wonders into the mountains until forcing these northern neighbours into an unconditional surrender and assimilating all territory other than their capital. Only then did we grant admittance to the French ambassador and accept his purse of gold, but not before being handed title to Guyenne and Languedoc.

Eire is ripe for the plucking. I dispatched a strong force to Meath to act as a staging ground for our invasion. Fully 20,000 horse and 30,000 foot landed as I sent our declaration of war and the first wave sallied forth. Without much resistance, their overwhelmed army gave way to our masses and a quick peace was concluded, ending with our territorial assumption of all territories but Ulster.

And here, Gandalf paused, and commented that a few pages were missing...

1428-35

At war again, though it took some talking to induce Henry VI to proceed. We moved on Scotland and Eire simultaneously, ignoring ferrocious assaults from their French and other allies until both capitals lay under our thumb. After concluding a peace, in which each of these countries were annexed, we are again at peace. Fearing retribution from the populace, and unsure of our ability to control the masses, we declared new vassal states of Scoptland, Eire, and Guyenne in order to better concentrate on our priorities.

Given our rather poor reputation, it would be best if we lay low for a while. Even so, there are numerous revolts to be put down and our new alliance with our vassals has drawn us into several unwnated wars. We escape all unscathed, protecting our holdings and our vassals wothout commiting any serious forces to the fray.

'And here a large portion of the text is missing,' Gandalf lamented. 'It seems as thoug they entered a period of peace, with large growth in economy and infrastructure, and gradually began to expand their holdings. I see mention here of the discovery of a vast continent to the west following a military acces agreement with Denmark and the fearless persistence of a man named John Cabot. Colonies were established, and wars fought with some tribe called the "Iroquois" which met with apparent success.' He turned several charge leaves and pointed. 'See. Here he writes of the subjugation of the Iriquois in 1502, the assimilation of their lands, and the establishment of new colonies and trading posts in the Caribbean.'

Gandalf thumbed through a few more pages, murmering to himself. 'And here in 1493 he talks about the might of the British empire, with holdings in Australia, Africa, South America...Isthmus is discovered and settled; almost the entire eastern shore of this new continent is held as either a colony or trading center. Manhattan is generating huge profits through a trade monopoly.' He sighed, shaking his head.

'It appears that he thought his country invincible,' he concluded. See, here, what he says in 1514:

Stupid Flanders! Dares to declare war on us in response to a call from their allies. I will crush them and gain another major trading center.

I dispatched 60,000 men to destroy the pathetic resistance, even though I knew more would fall to attrition than to the sword. We have too many commissioned men anyway, so their deaths will serve a purpose. Only 8,000 met them in the field, and green troops at that. After quickly dispatching them, we laid siege to the city and concluded a separate peace ending with their complete annexation.

Eire, also, agreed to become part of England after years as our vassals. This diplomatic annexation seems profitable as it wipes out their spiraling debt while leaving me us with all of their city improvements. Much as Scotland and Guyenne did...

'And here there are, again, numrous pages missing,' he lamented. 'Truely, they had conquered and achieved much. But now, I suspect, we may begin to read about their fall...'

It was some time before Gandalf spoke again. Whether this was due to his difficulty in piecing together the abused tome, or deciphering the language of this long-neglected language, was not apparent. Just as Frodo thought he would abandon the task, Gandalf cleared his throat.

'They seem to have survived the refformation very well. In 1525 the country turned protestant, and I see a few referrences to public uprisings at the time, but all in all the transition seems to have been fairly smoothly. That's ironic. Here in 1600 he crows about his achievements:

A summary of our holdings in the year of our lord, 1600.

All of England proper, as well as Scotland and Eire. Fernando Po, Damara, Table, Namaqua, Bushman, Karroo and Ciskei in Africa. Antsirana and Ambovombe. Bourbon and Antsirana. The islands of Socotra and Mahe. In the orient we have now solidified Murumbridge, Yarra, Macquarie, Wagga and Wollongong. And in the new world we now have colonies in Placenta, Gander, Ile Royale, Nova Scotia, Acadie, Stadacone, Connecticut, Sebago, Ticonderoga, Adirondak, Catskill, Oswego, Onondaga, Mohawk, Tuscarora, Irondekoit, Shenandoah, Powhatan, Manhattan, Deleware, Roanoke, Catawba, Appalache, Sante, and Carolina. In the Caribbean we have colonies in Bahamas, Bermuda, Isthmus, Mosquitos, Tortuga, St. Thomas, Marinique, Barbados and Guadeloupe and trading posts in vitually all other island territories.

Revenues are pouring in and our technology is far ahead of all other competing countries, with whom we are at peace and, generally, in good relations. Time is drawing nigh to erradicate the Portugese and Spanish to cement our hold on the entire continent, but in the interrum I have stood down much of the army to ease the burden on our income. Most foot-soldiers have been sent home and only the cavalry continue to parade the grounds....

'But only a few pages later you start to see the signs...'

Drums. Drums in the hills. Drums on the heath. Drums in the depths. Drums in the city taverns. All I hear is drums. What does this signify? Why this incessant pounding? How can I make it all stops? The widespread piracy is as nothing compared to this ne dilemma. Those were easily put down, as was the competiton in the centres of trade. But the drums...

'And here is the beginning of the end...the portents.'

Signs from above. In March and again in July, streaking lights in the sky at night served to unsettle the peasants. Masses revolting, followed by some diplomatic and strategic blunders. I should never have moved our trend towards greater centralization, but who could have guessed that nobles might ally with a foreign power while almost at the same time an assasignation, a petition for redress, and another assasignation? All of a sudden, our state is collapsoing.

I brought out forces back from far and wide to suppress, lost nearly 80,000 cavalry outright in the first few months of revolt. Overseas, the Hurons and other native tribes have siezed the advantage and declared war on us, with only 15,000 to hold the vast expanse.

Anglia has fallen, and Fairfax with his corps with it. And shortly thereafter the peasants overwhelmed us throughout Scotland and Eire, and more than half of England is under seige. I have drawn heavily on the bank to bring another 80,000 into the field, but they arrive too late, and too weak, to turn the tide.

Sensing our weakness, the unholy alliance of France, Castille, the Papal States, Denmark, and Poland declare war. Charles I is innefective to stem the tide. I have too few ships and too few forces to withstand them. Both Moncks die, one in a pitched naval battle against the Danes near Kent, and the other tried to hold Flanders with 18,000 men against the surprise attack of 75,000 French but they brought too many cannons and were too well led to be stopped.

Only Blake survives, by virtue of being far removed from the fray exploring territories along the China coast.

'And then,' Gandalf continued, 'things get grim.'

Near all is lost. Spiralling debt as I default on loan after loan after loan. While I have refused all offers of peace, near all of England is lost to the rebels. My eastern-American holdings have been overrun by the natives, all European capitals are held by either the enemy within or the enemy without. Only Australia and the Caribbean remain in control and are pathetic for drumming up the number needed to field any resistance.

I have initiated a counter attack in North America to regain some economic controls. Blake made the run across the Pacific, around South Amerca, and arrived in St Thomas with only 12 of the 35 ships he began the trek with. I loaded as many troops as I could muster and made a valliant attempt on Manhattan which I recaptured late in the year. Meanwhle, Bermuda and the Bahamas fall to Portugal.

Stability has been at -3 for I don't remember how long. Pirates are everywhere as I can't afford to sustain the ship losses to prevent them. Drums. War drums. We cannot get out!

Delaware falls to my counter-offensive. Then the others. I recapture the Bahamas, then Bermuda. Portugal is sending diplomats like there's no tomorrow. I have regained almost all of the footing in the Americas but inflation rates of over 300% are crippling my ability to forray further afield with the forces necessary to face my European enemies. I finally sue for peace to France in exchange for all of Eire, Scotland and half of England. Louis is appeased and calls off the hunt.

1653-1690

Spent every ducat possible converting trading posts into colonies and settling new ones. As soon as built I appoint a governor...and after years this pays off. Infantry costs only 23 ducats for 1000 men. I raise an army and assault the Iroquois, capturing my second trade post.

Unfortunatley, Portugal grows weary of my actions and attacks my colonial holdings. The islands fall.

Ousted from the new world, my only remaining possessions are Anglia and - as yet - undiscovered Australia. Day to day existence is poor. My remaining 12,000 men are desparately holding onto Yarra while Nurumbidgee is in constant revolt. Maraquarie is under rebel command. Portugal takes Anglia.

No choice now. Surrendered to Portugal and only Anglia remains mine. This economy allows nothing. New debts default and I wait for the end...they are coming...

A sudden dread and a horror of the chamber fell on the company. ' They are coming,' said Gimli...

<here ends the account...>

Very impressive, loosing so late in the game. As England as well, your BB must have been high.

BTW as long as you don't have maximum loans you never need to extend one. On the day the old loan is due, pause the game, take out a new loan and use it to pay the old one off. This is better because interest on a loan goes up everytime you renew it.

Excellent MrT! It was only a matter of time before someone worked The Lord of the Rings into an AAR.:D Yours was first rate!

Joe

Lost?

Um...perhaps I merely failed to win? Somehow I neglected to plan for a rash of random events and felt unduely comfortable with some fo my posessions. I had, I thought, more then enough forces in NA to control anything untoward that was likely to happen. But to have about 10 provinces go into revolt almost simultaneously, and then continuing to revolt every few months, my troops just dissintegrated even though they won virtually every battle they fought until they were overwhelmed. And by that time in the game, incidentally, my BB was actually back to being "honerable".

Also, in victory points I was miles ahead of everyone else...and I mean miles! In fact, it was my own populace that beat me, not another country (although there were a couple of cherry-pickers once all hell broke loose).

I hadn't planned to write an AAR, hence the lack of substance or detail contained in the "story"...I didn't want to post a listing of events so I started casting about for a title and just happened to think of Tolkien. After that, I just plagerized one of my favourite sections :)

I'm not sure whether this AAR is a complaint - just airing my "how unfair is this!" response to getting pasted by random events rather than scripted ones - or a lesson in humility. In fact, after the first couple of years of it I was intending to abandon the game but a couple of people in the General Discussion forum encouraged me to give it a whirl. All in all, I'm amazed that I managed to survive over 60 years of absolute choas so it was highly instructive about how deep a hole you can get into and still fight your way most of the way out. I think, as a fairly new player, it also taught me some valuable lessons on "good" and "bad" decissions early in the game that can come back to haunt you.

As an FYI, I went back to a save game about 5 years before the "dissaster" struck and played forward from there. Come 1819 I was invincible and had such a VP lead over everyone else...<yawn>. I won't be playing another major power for a long while since I want to concentrate on some of the "lesser" ones for a while.

Thanks for the tip re loans. If I'd thought of that maybe I could have salvaged it all...but I had this knee-jerk reaction and just tried to raise troops to overcome the rebelions until things got nice again...which they never did. What I didn't include in the "story" was all the nasty scripted events and several other random ones...if they'd come along in more the way they did the second time 'round, they were easily manageable. I didn't do any screen shots, but by the end of V2 I had ALL of NA, most of SA...

At any rate, in my next game I'll be making an effort to put together a nice AAR rahter than the rather ad hoc effort this time.

Thanks, all, for the feedback; and particularly to those who encouraged me to give the situation a shot at all! It was a blast, and kept my heart-rate high for hours at a time :)

*generally agrees with your misery*

I had two long games disintegrate. One I'm still holding onto and fighting through. I played as the Aztecs... wanting to give the Europeans a shock. Iplayed up to late 1600s, had Annexed the Shawnee , vassalized the Iroquois, discovered and colonized california, annexed the zapotec, mayans, chimu and were about to do the same to the Incas... was able to live thorugh 3000% inflation with all that gold rolling in, even beat some Dutch arse... and then I made the mistake of converting to christianity. STarted with zero stability. About 5 provinces converted along with me and every other one rebelled.

Now I'm playing as Spain.. and it's 16something and I've had to spend all my time fighting to reach 0 stability year after year. And all my provinces rebelled anyways over time if my stability wasn't +3 including gibraltar and (oh i forget the moorish province).. So aggravated i converted every moorish province long before the scriptd events to do so. Anyways i couldn't invest in tech, i had to suck up to every european nation, i vassalized lorraine and languedoc and also the spanish netherlands just to keep everyone off my back while i fought in mexico and south america over and over and over
all i did for 20 years of game time was pump out troops and run up and down mexico. i was going to give up and then i realised my infrastructure was close to having legal counsels.. and i thoguht hey..! so i sucked it up and promotd them. still not good enough *sighs*
alright. everything into money.. of which a lot was rolling in...
killer inflation yes.. and missionaries.. LOTS OF FREAKING MISSIONARIES. and yes the americas are now catholic thank you very much. except for mexico city which costs 10k to convert (forget it stay heathen) oh another beef. the netherlands. i freed them before the scripted event kicked in. freeing them kicked in the scriptd event. and lo and behold they turn on me right away and have 5 more land technology than anyone else. ??? what is with that?

well spain is rather easy i have to say. though the scripted bankruptcies really really really suck *grins*. wayyyy too many conquistadors and explorers. i had more than i had armies and fleets to give them. i started sending explorers out on suicide missions. though that came back to haunt me when i finally colonized hawai and lost my last explorer. there goes the chinese conquest dreams *sighs*

Very impressed, Mr. T, with your almost clinical detachment (particularly amused by Gandalf's comments). But where is the best line? "Fool of a Took..."

;)

I was ready to post a rude coment on your use of the Book of Mazarbul to introduce an AAR but had to grudgingly admit that it was done rather cleverly (and with respect to JRRT of course) so you are forgiven.
Interesting and cautionary tale. I've commented elsewhere that the rebels in EU2 are over the top (a bit like the orcs swarming headfirst down the pillars of Moria, in the film) and you've confirmed it.

But why the fascination with the word "fool" ?

Originally posted by Owl
I was ready to post a rude coment on your use of the Book of Mazarbul to introduce an AAR but had to grudgingly admit that it was done rather cleverly (and with respect to JRRT of course) so you are forgiven.
Interesting and cautionary tale. I've commented elsewhere that the rebels in EU2 are over the top (a bit like the orcs swarming headfirst down the pillars of Moria, in the film) and you've confirmed it.

But why the fascination with the word "fool" ?

Yes. They can be a royal pain. I've gotten used to using a strategy where I always have a covering army big enough to nail any rebels within a province or two. Seems to be helping...

I've also become a firm believer in converting provinces to my religion ASAP, no matter the cost.

The FOOL! thing is derived from a terrible old TV show where Mr T was a character and spent most of his time going around saying "FOOL! I pity you!"

Given my monacher, I thought I'd play the part...

Originally posted by MrT

The FOOL! thing is derived from a terrible old TV show where Mr T was a character and spent most of his time going around saying "FOOL! I pity you!"

Given my monacher, I thought I'd play the part...

Oh - THAT Mr T, from "The A Team" !!!
Did he really say "fool" all the time? It's a while since I saw it and I mainly remember him thumping people, whilst sporting a silly haircut and lots of jewelry. Strange character to take as your name, but "Gandalf" was taken I suppose...

excellent!

that's one of my favorite sections from "the fellowship of the ring" as well.

we cannot get out.... we cannot get out...

terrible thing to behold, that crash and burn. but credit to you for sticking it out until the bitter end. my first GC in EU2, i started up as novgorod and promptly got blitzed by sweden, muscovy, and a host of small russkie states and mongol khanates. i couldn't bear to watch my provinces going up in smoke, so i quit the game. it was then that i moved to portugal.

i also did a (very quick) game as wallachia the other night, taking a break from portugal. spent all my money building troops and declared war on the turks. i did capture a city from them but then they swarmed bucharest and that was the end of the game. august, 1420: the ottoman empire has agreed to peace on the following terms: full annexation of wallachia by the ottoman empire.

i feel your pain....

hannibal from the a-team: i love it when a plan comes together.

Wow! Well done. It's proof that you can make a fantastic AAR out of a game that doesn't necessarily end well. The use of the Tolkien theme was brilliantly done. This, and your Timurid AAR (which I'm about 1/3 of the way through - Why do I keep thinking Roger Zelazny would have loved it? ;)) are giving me some ideas for what I might want to do after I finish with Venice...

l

Whaaa.... Of course he always said fool. "I pitty the fool!" Mr. T is a gen X icon who I can give nothing but respect to. Despite his comeback with the 1-800 Collect commercials. :)

Very nice Aar as well. Made me think back to the days when I used to save and reload everytime I got a bad random event. Things are so much more... interesting now.

Good hunting.

-Guan

This AAR of the Week is an oddity. It not only marks MrT's inaugural attempt on the forum (IIRC), but it mixes fantasy with failure. Afterall, how often do you lose with England? :D

Ah...the memories.

It was indeed my first AAR. Seems like ages ago now but it's only been 4+ months. Hard to believe. Re-reading it now I'm tempted to completely re-write it...so many little things that could be improved, typos fixed, the odd grammar gaff, etc. Maybe I'll post the revised edition a little later this week if I can find the time to do it.

It's also interesting to look back at some very basic gameplay errors I was making at the time. Bad rebel management, bad religion management...though IIRC this was under v1.01 or maybe 1.02 which had some serious problems (not to mention that I think those meteors were +5RR and -3 stab at the time) so maybe I can be excused for a few of them. Nevertheless, it does take great tallent to blow a game as England like that. :D

Thanks for digging it up LD.;)

Drums in the Deep - the editted version...

Here’s a slightly edited version…

<excerpt...beginning with the end of Book 1, Chapter IV...modified as suitable..in which we set the scene:>

Following his lead the company passed under the northern arch. They found themselves in a wide corridor. As they went along it the glimmer grew stronger, and they saw that it came through a doorway on their right. It was high and flat-topped, and the stone door was still upon its hinges, standing half-open. Beyond it was a large square chamber. It was dimly lit, but to their eyes, after so long a time in the dark, it seemed dazzlingly bright, and they blinked as they entered.

Their feet disturbed a deep dust upon the floor, and stumbled among things lying in the doorway whose shapes they could not at first make out. The chamber was lit by a wide shaft high in the further eastern wall; it slanted upwards and, far above, a small square patch of blue sky could be seen. The light of the shaft fell directly on a table in the middle of the room: a single oblong block, about two feet high, upon which was laid a great slab of white stone.

'It looks like a tomb,' muttered Frodo, and bent forwards with a curious sense of foreboding, to look more closely at it. Gandalf came quickly to his side. On the slab runes were deeply graven:

*&#*&)#!_)*%&^

'There are MrT's Runes, such as were used of old in England,' said Gandalf. 'Here is written in the tongues of Men and Englishmen:

MR T
CHANCELLOR OF ENGLAND.'

'He is dead then,' said Frodo. 'I feared it was so.' Gimli cast his hood over his face.

CHAPTER V

<snip>

There were many recesses cut in the rock of the walls, and in them were large iron-bound chests of wood. All had been broken and plundered; but beside the shattered lid of one there lay the remains of a book. It had bee slashed and stabbed and partly burned, and it was so stained with black and other dark marks like old blood that little of it could be read. Gandalf lifted it carefully, but the leaves cracked and broke as he laid it on the slab. He pored over it for some time without speaking. Frodo and Gimli standing at his side could see, as he gingerly turned the leaves, that they were written by only a single hand, in runes, both of England and of Wales, and here and there in ASCII text.

At last Gandalf looked up. 'It seems to be a record of the fortunes of MrT's folk,' he said. 'I guess that it began with his coming to what was then England in 1419, at maximum aggressiveness and difficulty: the pages seem to have numbers referring to the years of their lord. The top page is marked January 1419 but the next is March 1426 so at least some pages are missing from the beginning. Listen to this!'

Gandalf began to read:

1419-21

We drove the French back from the shores at heavy loss. Normandy is held, as are Calais, Caux and Poitou. Henry V met with a large force near Ile de France and repelled all who came near. He took the city and moved on, deeper into enemy territory. The man is truly a killing machine.

In the north, the Scots harried our rearguard until reinforcements were sent to hold the mountains in Northumberland. Eventually they were pushed back and our northern army took the offensive. One by one their cities fell...until all of Scotland lay under our sword.

As we were pressed from all sides, I advised Henry to take a peace with Auvergne, Provence, Aragon, and Bourbonaise without terms - white peaces - which he successfully negotiated. The French ambassador was to be put off until the war is fully in hand, and the preposterous demands of the Scots were to be ignored completely.

Even through the bleating pleas for peace, we pursued the kilted wonders into the mountains until we forced these, our northern neighbours, to an unconditional surrender and assimilated all of their territories other than their capital. Only then did we grant the French ambassador admittance to the Royal Court and accept his purse of gold - but not before being handed title to Guyenne and Languedoc.

Eire is ripe for the plucking. I dispatched a strong force to Meath to act as a staging ground for our invasion. Fully 20,000 horse and 30,000 foot landed as I sent our declaration of war and the first wave sallied forth. Without much resistance, their overwhelmed army gave way to our masses and a quick peace was concluded, ending with our territorial assumption of all territories but Ulster.

And here, Gandalf paused, commenting that a few of the pages were missing...

1428-35

We are at war again, though it took some talking to induce Henry VI to proceed. We moved on Scotland and Eire simultaneously, ignoring ferocious assaults from the French and other allies until both capitals lay under our thumb. After concluding a peace, in which each of these countries were annexed, we are again at peace. Fearing retribution from the populace, and unsure of our ability to control the masses, we declared the new vassal states of Scotland, Eire, and Guyenne in order to better concentrate on our priorities.

Given our rather poor reputation, it would be best if we lay low for a while. Even so, there are numerous revolts to be put down and our new alliance with our vassals has drawn us into several unwanted wars. We escape all of these unscathed, protecting our holdings - and our vassals - without committing any sizeable forces to the fray.

'Here a large portion of the text is missing,' Gandalf lamented. 'It seems as though they entered a period of peace, with large growth in economy and infrastructure, and gradually began to expand their holdings. I see mention here of the discovery of a vast continent to the west following a military access agreement with Denmark and the fearless persistence of a man named John Cabot. Colonies were established, and wars fought with some tribe called the "Iroquois" which met with apparent success.' He turned several charge leaves and pointed. 'See. Here he writes of the subjugation of the Iroquois in 1502, the assimilation of their lands, and the establishment of new colonies and trading posts in the Caribbean.'

Gandalf thumbed through a few more pages, murmuring to himself. 'And here in 1493 he talks about the might of the British empire, with holdings in Australia, Africa, South America...Isthmus is discovered and settled; almost the entire eastern shore of this new continent is held as either a colony or trading centre. Manhattan is generating huge profits through a trade monopoly.' He sighed, shaking his head.

'It appears that he thought his country invincible,' he concluded. See, here, what he says in 1514:

Stupid Flanders! Dares to declare war on us in response to a call from their allies. I will crush them and gain another major trading centre.

I dispatched 60,000 men to destroy the pathetic resistance, even though I knew more would fall to attrition than to the sword. We have too many commissioned men anyway, so their deaths will serve a purpose. Only 8,000 met them in the field, and green troops at that. After quickly dispatching them, we laid siege to the city and concluded a separate peace ending with their complete annexation.

Eire, also, agreed to become part of England after years as our vassals. This diplomatic annexation seems profitable as it wipes out their spiralling debt while leaving me us with all of their city improvements. Much as Scotland and Guyenne did...

'And here there are, again, numerous pages missing,' he lamented. 'Truly, they had conquered and achieved much. But now, I suspect, we may begin to read about their fall...'

It was some time before Gandalf spoke again. Whether this was due to his difficulty in piecing together the abused tome, or deciphering this long-neglected language, was not apparent. Just as Frodo thought he would abandon the task, Gandalf cleared his throat.

'They seem to have survived the Reformation very well. In 1525 the country turned protestant - and I see a few references to public uprisings at the time - but all in all the transition seems to have been fairly smoothly. That's ironic. Here in 1600 he crows about his achievements:

A summary of our holdings in the year of our lord, 1600.

All of England proper, as well as Scotland and Eire. Fernando Po, Damara, Table, Namaqua, Bushman, Karroo and Ciskei in Africa. Antsirana and Ambovombe. Bourbon and Antsirana. The islands of Socotra and Mahe. In the orient we have now solidified Murumbridge, Yarra, Macquarie, Wagga and Wollongong. And in the new world we now have colonies in Placenta, Gander, Ile Royale, Nova Scotia, Acadie, Stadacone, Connecticut, Sebago, Ticonderoga, Adirondak, Catskill, Oswego, Onondaga, Mohawk, Tuscarora, Irondekoit, Shenandoah, Powhatan, Manhattan, Deleware, Roanoke, Catawba, Appalache, Sante, and Carolina. In the Caribbean we have colonies in Bahamas, Bermuda, Isthmus, Mosquitos, Tortuga, St. Thomas, Martinique, Barbados and Guadeloupe and trading posts in virtually all other island territories.

Revenues are pouring in and our technology is far ahead of all other competing countries, with whom we are at peace and, generally, in good relations. Time is drawing nigh to eradicate the Portuguese and Spanish to cement our hold on the entire continent, but in the interim I have stood down much of the army to ease the burden on our income. Most foot-soldiers have been sent home and only the cavalry continue to parade the grounds....

'But only a few pages later you start to see the signs...'

Drums. Drums in the hills. Drums on the heath. Drums in the depths. Drums in the city taverns. All I hear is drums. What does this signify? Why this incessant pounding? How can I make it all stops? The widespread piracy is as nothing compared to this new dilemma. Those were easily put down, as was the competition in the centres of trade. But the drums...

'And here is the beginning of the end...the portents.'

Signs from above. In March and again in July, streaking lights in the sky at night served to unsettle the peasants. Masses revolting, followed by some diplomatic and strategic blunders. I should never have moved our trend towards greater centralization, but who could have guessed that nobles might ally with a foreign power while almost at the same time an assassination, a petition for redress, and another assassination? All of a sudden, our state is collapsing.

I brought out forces back from far and wide to suppress the dissent, losing – outright - nearly 80,000 cavalry in the first few months of revolt. Overseas, the Huron and other native tribes have seized the advantage and declared war on us, with only 15,000 to hold the vast expanse.

Anglia has fallen, Fairfax and his corps with it. Shortly thereafter the peasants overwhelmed us throughout Scotland and Eire…more than half of England is under siege. I have been forced to draw heavily on the bank to bring another 80,000 into the field, but they arrive too late, and too weak, to turn the tide.

Sensing our weakness, the unholy alliance of France, Castile, the Papal States, Denmark, and Poland declare war. Charles I is ineffective to stem the tide. I have too few ships and too few forces to withstand them. Both Moncks die, one in a pitched naval battle against the Danes near Kent, and the other tried to hold Flanders with 18,000 men against the surprise attack of 75,000 French but they brought too many cannons and were too well led to be stopped.

Only Blake survives, by virtue of being far removed from the fray exploring territories along the China coast.

'And then,' Gandalf continued, 'things get grim.'

Near all is lost. Spiralling debt as I default on loan after loan after loan. While I have refused all offers of peace, near all of England is lost to the rebels. My eastern-American holdings have been overrun by the natives, all European capitals are held by either the enemy within or the enemy without. Only Australia and the Caribbean remain in control and are pathetic for drumming up the number needed to field any resistance.

I have initiated a counter attack in North America to regain some economic controls. Blake made the run across the Pacific, around South America, and arrived in St Thomas with only 12 of the 35 ships with which he began the trek. I loaded as many troops as I could muster and made a valiant attempt on Manhattan which I recaptured late in the year. Meanwhile Bermuda and the Bahamas fall to Portugal.

Stability has been at -3 for I don't remember how long. Pirates are everywhere, as I can't afford to sustain the ship losses to prevent them. Drums. War drums. We cannot get out!

Delaware falls to my counter-offensive. Then the others. I recapture the Bahamas, then Bermuda. Portugal is sending diplomats like there's no tomorrow. I have regained almost all of the footing in the Americas but inflation rates of over 300% are crippling my ability to foray further afield with the forces necessary to face my European enemies. I finally sue for peace to France in exchange for all of Eire, Scotland and half of England. Louis is appeased and calls off the hunt.

1653-1690

I spent every ducat possible converting trading posts into colonies and settling new ones. As soon as they had been elevated to city status I would appoint a governor...and after years this paid off. Infantry now costs only 23 ducats for 1000 men. I raise an army and assault the Iroquois, recapturing my second trade post.

Unfortunately, Portugal grows weary of my actions and attacks my colonial holdings. The islands fall, one by one.

Ousted from the new world, my only remaining possessions are Anglia and - as yet - undiscovered Australia. Day to day existence is poor. My remaining 12,000 men are desperately holding onto Yarra while Nurumbridge is in constant revolt. Maraquarie is under rebel command.

Portugal takes Anglia.

No choice now. Surrendered to Portugal and only Anglia remains. This economy allows nothing. New debts default and I wait for the end...they are coming...

A sudden dread and a horror of the chamber fell on the company. ' They are coming,' said Gimli...

<here ends the account...>

Re-reading this now, I think that I would start all over again in writing this. As a first effort, though, I can live with it…

MrT,

I just got to this story via the LibrAARy. For your first AAR this is awesome...heck...this is awesome for a second, third, fourth, fifth, or forty-fifth AAR.:)

A few specific comments:

1. An excellent and unique method of presentation...very enjoyable. You created a seamless tie between the Mines of Moria and EUII. Gandalf reading and filling in the blanks was extremely well done.

2. The description of the battered and charred book instantly created a wonderful verbal picture in my mind.

3. I got a good laugh out of the runes of England, Wales, and ASCII line.

BTW, I think it might be cool if someone *ahem* *cough* "MrT would be the perfect candidate" *cough* were to do an AAR where the first scene shows a picture of the diplomatic screen in 1819 with France (a.k.a. Mordor) and her 19 vassals followed by that famous poem

One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

The AAR could then jump back to the beginning and tell the tale of how the Dark Lord gained all of his vassals.

This project would require a lot of fleshing out and work...both in game play and writing...probably beyond my meager rapid fire broad brush abilities:)...so...I humbly submit it to you MrT...for you are truly one of the masters.:)

Side note: I actually thought about doing something similar to this with my Georgia AAR...but...decided it was too difficult for me to pull off and have it flow smoothly...so...after planting the seeds one of my verses, I let them bear a different fruit (strictly colonial conquest instead of a neighbor vassalization campaign)

Dark and deadly power to me will beckon
While shades of promises made do faintly linger
For now I will keep my word I reckon
Yet so tempting…tempting…to slip that ring upon my finger

Anyway...just an idea/plea/request from the peanut gallery.;):D:) I think it would make an awesome AAR for someone with the talents to pull it off properly.

Edit: Let me know if you want the last half of this post whacked so as only to leave the positive feedback without my semi-random out loud musings.:)

Last edited: