• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Lord Durham

The Father of AARland
Demi Moderator
35 Badges
Apr 29, 2001
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Stellaris
  • Surviving Mars
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Cities in Motion
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • March of the Eagles
The Age of Enlightement

This will be a slow paced AAR that I will build upon gradually as time permits.

It begins in 1700 with events leading to the War of the Spanish Succession and then continues to God knows where. The scenario itself ends in 1740, but it could be over before then. It'll end when it feels right.

Those who are familiar with my Seven Years War AAR will know what to expect. Unlike Burgundy: Origin of the Free Company, this is non-interactive, but that doesn't mean there will be no surprises. :cool:

Hope you enjoy, and I take full responsibility for any glaring historical errors. ;)

Last edited:
What! Not Interactive?

Just replying so that this AAR has the black dot when I scan the forums... That way I can't miss it! ;)

Looking forward to more of your fine work LD! :)

OOC: Thanks Misha. I guess we'll see if I'm overly ambitious or not ;)

---------------------------------------

CHAPTER ONE

January 13, 1700: Vienna - The Imperial Palace

The sun was bright, cascading subtle warmth through frost tinged, coloured glass windows lining the Emperor's study. Glimmering slivers of daylight danced along the marble floor to diffuse in a vibrant rainbow of highlights captured by the enormous chandelier hanging majestically in the center of the opulent room.

At one end on velvet covered stools sat a string quartet with piano accompaniment. The flawless music was soft and lilting, played with deft precision to a small crowd of seated men and women - high-placed nobility who listened with politely rapt attention.

Seated in a deep plush chair, Emperor Leopold I joyfully moved a hand in time to the melody, conducting the musicians with a keen ear to perfection. His eyes closed in concentration, holding his finger motionless on a high note, stretching the tone for long moments. It came down sharply, signaling the other musicians to rejoin. Finally, through a growing crescendo, the Emperor brought his finger to a quick stop, and the instruments finished with a sustained flourish.

There was the briefest moment of silence, and then the small crowd delicately clapped their pleasure, first toward the Emperor, then at the musicians when Leopold joined the polite ovation. He smiled serenely amidst cries of 'Bravo' and 'Well done, Your Highness'.

While the applause subsided, Leopold stood and bowed ever so slightly, his long, black, curled wig bobbing with the effort. He waved a hand in humble dismissal. "It’s just a minor piece, noble ladies and gentlemen. Merely something we wrote several years past. It’s nothing, really, but we appreciate your indulgence all the same."

A servant entered with a tray of sweet cakes, walking directly to the Emperor. He chose one to sample delicately, and smiled approval. "Now, ladies and gentle nobles, we must take our leave. It would pleasure us greatly if you were to remain and let our musicians provide further entertainment for your pleasure."

The Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire smiled again, then strode across the marble floor, his boots resounding heavily on the slick, black and white patterned surface. A half dozen courtiers disengaged from the crowd and followed attentively, while behind the music struck the beginning notes of a sonata. Ahead, a guard opened a deeply recessed door to allow Leopold and entourage passage. When it swung close the floating musical notes abruptly died.

While the study had been a grandiose affair designed for comfort and entertainment, the new room was much simpler. It was very workmanlike, rectangular and paneled with dark teakwood. Dominating the center was a long, ornately carved table, near as reflective as glass, surrounded by deeply plush chairs. Standing beside these chairs were some of the most important men in Austria. As simple as the room appeared, it regularly gave birth to many vital Imperial decisions that over time would serve to shape the nation.

The advisors bowed as Leopold entered. The Emperor acknowledged with a tilt of the head, then sat at the head of the table. With a scraping of chairs on hardwood floors the advisors followed. Immediately servants appeared from side rooms, offering food and drink.

The offers went unnoticed. All ears and all eyes were on the Emperor, waiting with anticipation. Leopold took his time, enjoying the strong tea. Finally, he set down the cup on a saucer with a noticeable clink, steepled his fingertips, and regarded the advisors. "What, gentlemen, is our situation?"

Heinrich von Richler, trusted advisor and Minister to the Emperor, cleared his throat. "The players are thus, Your Highness." He held up a gnarled hand and began to peel back fingers. "On the one side we have England, the Netherlands, Prussia, Hessen, Hannover, Wurtemberg and ourselves. On the other is France, Spain, Bavaria, Cologne, Genoa and the Knights of St. John."

Leopold nodded - a slight gesture. Under his breath he mumbled, "Damn that little Joseph Ferdinand for bringing about this mess."

"Your Highness?"

"Nothing - nothing. The Dutch delegates. They still remain?"

Another Minister spoke - a small, fastidious man with a balding pate and crooked nose. "They do, My Emperor. They ask to meet with you regularly. One could almost set ones clock with their punctual regimen."

The Holy Roman Emperor closed his eyes. "We will not agree to this Treaty of Partition. We will not agree to something that has been fostered on us in such an undignified manner. France will become too powerful, and all at the cost of Austria. We have an opportunity to once again bring Spain within the realm of Habsburg influence, and we should not shy from that God given chance."

Von Richler opined, "I fear, Your Highness, you will find yourself quite alone in that regard. The English and the Maritime countries fear an over strong Austria as much as they fear an over strong France."

The teacup clattered as Leopold's fist landed on the table with a resounding smack. "We will not allow Louis a foothold in Italy! Not Naples, Sicily, or Milan! The price is too high!"

"What do we tell the Dutch?"

Leopold leaned forward. "Tell them, 'Status valde miserabilis si daremus Gallo quae peteret; esset potentior!'

The small Minister's face was a mask of calm. "Very well, Your Highness. But, we should be aware this treaty could very well be ratified against your wishes, and without your signature."

The Emperor's look turned icy. "We encourage freedom to speak one's mind in these sessions, sir, but be very careful you do not abuse that privilege!"

"My apologies, Your Highness."

"Very well. Now, our dispositions?"

A heavily built man, bordering on obese, spoke in a gravelly voice. "Lt. General von Starhemberg is stationed in Magyar with about 18,000 men. The numbers are as follows: 14,000 infantry, 4,000 cavalry and 10 cannon. General von Traun is in Maros with 6,000 infantry and 1,000 cavalry. Colonel Loeben is in Pest with 4,000 infantry and 1,000 cavalry." He sat back and produced a silk handkerchief to mop at a sweat-beaded forehead.

"Thank you, Minister Bulow. Tell us, do you feel these men sufficient to keep the local population pacified?"

The Minister wiped his brow again. "I believe they are, Your Highness. We don't hear much from the Protestants any more."

"That could be bad, no?"

"Yes, Your Highness. It could be. I suggest we order Colonel Loeban to Maros to join with General von Traun."

The Emperor nodded. "Write the orders." He glanced down the table to a small man, fragile and homely in appearance, looking older than his 37 years. "Our dear Eugene, it would appear we may have use for your immense talent before long."

Prince Eugene of Savoy smiled thinly in response. Born in Paris, his frail physique had prevented acceptance into the French army. He found himself forced reluctantly into priesthood. Eventually, his father's exile and mother's bitterness toward the French spurred the young man to depart France and, along with his brother, settle in Vienna. There, he found that his physique proved to be no barrier, and was soon accepted into the ranks of the Imperial Austrian army. By 1683, at the age of twenty, Eugene witnessed his first battle when the Turks laid siege to Vienna.

Thereafter his rise was meteoric - a colonel at twenty, a major general at twenty-one, and general of cavalry by twenty-six. By the time he had scored a decisive victory over the Turks at the Battle of Zenta in 1697, Eugene had firmly established his reputation as one of the finest soldiers of the time. The Prince of Savoy cleared his throat. "Together with General Ludwig and General Von Mercy we have some 22,000 infantry, 3,000 cavalry and 15 cannon."
Leopold appeared concerned. "With war so close we fear those numbers will be far from sufficient. We are recruiting, Minister Bulow?"

"We train 8,000 infantry in Vienna as we speak. 20 cannon are under construction in Salzburg; 12 pounders, Your Highness."

The Emperor nodded, and soon the meeting settled into the minor details of running an empire - details ranging from winter supplies, to grain shipments, construction projects, and dispatching envoys to England for reassurances of alliance.

At one point a side door opened and a secretary slid up to the Emperor. The man bent to whisper in Leopold's ear while the room hushed in anticipation. When he finished he departed as quietly as he had entered.

Emperor Leopold’s look was rather bemused. His gaze swept the men seated along the table, traveling from Minister to Minister, until settling on Prince Eugene. "It would appear our one time ally, Max Emmanuel, the Elector of Bavaria, has roused from slumber. We have just been informed that he marches on Tyrolia, in the company of an army numbering 23,000 men."

In the silence that ensued, Prince Eugene of Savoy stood and bowed. "I regret I have urgent business Your Highness, if it so pleases you."

Without another word the small, frail man departed the meeting room. Once outside, he dispatched an aide to seek out his officers to prepare them for the upcoming campaign.

Austria in 1700

austria_jan_1700.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't read this AAR yet but I know it will be great.
I'll stop typing now because I have some AAR to read.

YES!!!!!

Oh boy, another one... I don't think I can wait... Daily updates will be necessary to satisfy my addiction... :D

Just one question, though. You're not thinking that the Spanish are still Habsburg at this time, are you? B/c they're not, they're Bourbon, and that's why the war starts; Louis XIV wanted to unite France and Spain under the rule of his son (grandson?) Philip. The reason I ask is you talk about uniting Spain and Austria, and I don't understand where that's coming from. But perhaps I'm misinterpreting?

Anyway, you're off to another great start, don't mind my nitpicking.

Oh Goody LD is at it again - so much more worktime reading!

Bravo Lord Durham, I've been a lurker on your AAR's for a while now and have always enjoyed.

Play on!

Re: YES!!!!!

Originally posted by Sharur
Oh boy, another one... I don't think I can wait... Daily updates will be necessary to satisfy my addiction... :D

Just one question, though. You're not thinking that the Spanish are still Habsburg at this time, are you? B/c they're not, they're Bourbon, and that's why the war starts; Louis XIV wanted to unite France and Spain under the rule of his son (grandson?) Philip. The reason I ask is you talk about uniting Spain and Austria, and I don't understand where that's coming from. But perhaps I'm misinterpreting?

Anyway, you're off to another great start, don't mind my nitpicking.

I think that LD will try to drive the Bourbons away and put a Habsburg on the throne.

Sharur: Daily updates? I think that's stretching it a bit, I hate to say, but I'll do my best. Your question caused me to reread my post, and I ended up editing the whole thing. I can see where the original confusion came from. I think it makes more sense now.

Blademonkey: Thanks! I'm glad you enjoy my efforts. It's always good to hear from new people (and lurkers):) It gives me an extra push.

Barkdreg: Habsburg on the Spanish Throne? Perhaps. We'll have to see how it plays out. One reason I chose Austria is because information over here in the GWN is hard to find for that neck of the woods, so it gives me a chance to research what I write. It also explains why it will probably take longer between posts...

Rath Jones: Gakk!! You better run... naw, wait, it was actually kind of funny.

warspite!!!!! My God! Kind of you to drop in! A Gem? Thanks. Hopefully I don't tarnish it... ;)

Originally posted by Lord Durham
Barkdreg: Habsburg on the Spanish Throne? Perhaps. We'll have to see how it plays out.

OK, given I don't have EU2 (released in Oz soon - when I have the spare cash!) I'm curious is this possible in EU2? Have the Ruler files become more dynamic? It always bugged me in my England games that even if the Civil War didn't happen (I'm a +3 stab. junkie:D ) Cromwell still becomes Lord Protector. While I don't mind the little bit of roleplaying fancy footwork to fit into my gameworld, I'd like to see poor old Charles last a bit longer on one occasion.

Can the player by events or gameplay fiddle with the lineages of the rulers in EU2? Or is the dreaded Barkdreg's post indicate the same play as in EU1, an annexation (diplo or otherwise) as the only way to "put a Hapsburg on the throne"?

Cheers

Markgraf Ellebert Johann Ferdinand Maria von Blumenfelde zu Oelpfuetz frowned. With his eyes glued to the little spy-hole he regarded the ministers and advisors around the table coldly. How they doted on the Emperor. Buffoons, all except that one: The short fellow, Prinz Eugen.

Oh well, thought von Blumenfelde, my time will come. He pulled out a heavy watch and glanced at it.

There was a commotion in the room now. News of some sort, von Blumenfelde guessed. With a shrug and a frown he made his way back to the Kriegssekretariat. There he would find von Richler soon enough, and he would tell him. If it was war, and everyone expected war, maybe this would be von Blumenfelde's chance?

Last edited:
Blademonkey: There are lots of scripted events in EU II, with the ability to write your own. To be honest, I haven't delved into this scenario to know if it's an option. What I do know is that a 'scripted event' has delayed my next post as I scramble to gather background information. :rolleyes:

I'm hoping to have something tomorrow.

Sgt.B.: (In my best 3 Stooges) Why I outta....

Don't worry about the daily post thing, LD, I was kidding :D

Thanks for clearing that up, it was my misunderstanding. And it would be nice if there were events that created dynamic monarchs.

Dear LD,

What are those little crossed swords in some Austrian provinces (Silesia, Obenburg, Ostmark)? They look like battle sites in a map. Is that an EUII thing, or a scenario thing?

thanks,
Puzzled in Palermo

So does this mean that Paradox didn't care for the IGC solution of giving Alsace to Austria (France by 1700)?
I think you've proven that posting screen shots leads to all sorts of trivia questions. Just thought I'd pile on.

OOC: Shadowstrike: You have the advantage of starting a lot sooner, methinks. :)

Sgt.B: They're reported UFO landing sites, now bugger off PiP...

Isaac Brock: Glad to see you. 'Piling on's' a penalty you know. As for your answer, I'll have to defer the reasoning to someone else. I'm too busy writing... :rolleyes:

Gorion: Thanks for setting the twerp straight.

----------------------------------------

CHAPTER TWO

January 15, 1700: Transylvania

Old hatreds never die. They simmer beneath a false surface of serenity until the right moment in history presents itself. Such was the case when Electoral Prince Max Emmanuel of Bavaria betrayed the Austrian Empire on January 6 by invading Tirol with no formal declaration of war.

For Ferenc Rakoczy II and his conspirators it was the culmination of months of plotting and secret meetings with France, Hungary, Bavaria and his homeland of Transylvania. Not the least was the huge sums of French gold that secretly financed his endeavors and a safe haven in Poland that allowed him to prosecute his plans with no interference.

So, as Max Emmanuel marched into Tirol, word spread among the grassroots Magyar leadership that opportunity was at hand. Preparations for a full-fledged revolt were set in motion spurred by secret meetings between Protestant and Orthodox representatives and glib orators spouting words of oppression and religious intolerance. Such words fired the bowels of hard pressed peasants and downtrodden merchants, contributing to a growing groundswell of outright rebellion.

Many remembered the days when Protestant ministers were arrested and sent to the galleys for refusing to renounce their faith. In a show of defiance some invoked the name of Count Imre Thököly, the last man to lead a great rebellion against Leopold and the Austrians. Others begrudged the fact the electoral crown of Hungary was now hereditary to the House of Habsburg. For many these actions left increasingly bitter memories.

To his credit, Emperor Leopold had mellowed toward Protestant and Orthodox Christians over the past decade, relaxing his religious intolerance. The move was welcomed begrudgingly; many feeling it was due more to political expediency than religious acceptance.

Nevertheless, the Hungarian Lords eventually gathered in Onod to announce the overthrow of Habsburg control. They elected Ferenc Rakoczy II to rule their resurrected country. Flush with success and opportunity, the Transylvanian marched from Poland at the head of an army. He invaded Carpathia.

By the 22nd of January the predominantly Hungarian provinces of Maros, Pest, Magyar, and Carpathia had risen in total revolt. Its suddenness and severity caught the Imperial Armies unprepared and served to strip away crucial resources the Emperor would require for his upcoming campaign against Bavaria.

January 30, 1700: Magyar

Of all the generals stationed in Hungary, Guidobald von Starhemberg had been awarded the preponderance of troops, and by virtue of experience was best prepared to deal with the revolution. A cousin of the great Ernst Rudiger von Starhemberg - who had led the defense of Vienna against the Ottomans in 1683 - Guidobald had risen quickly through the Imperial Army, earning the Emperor's explicit faith and trust with his ability and knowledge.

January found the general standing at the summit of a hill along with his command staff. It was a cold, clear morning replete with a bitter wind that blew in from the northwest, causing eyes to tear and breath to catch sharply in icy lungs.

"Damned piss poor time of year to revolt, if you want my opinion," Colonel Schreyer commented, sneezing harshly into a handkerchief. "Be damned if this weather doesn't kill me before the blasted rebels."

General von Starhemberg merely smiled. He glanced again at a message held in his velvet-gloved hand. Rebel armies had apparently risen in every Hungarian province, though he still waited on reports from Carpathia. Colonel Loeben's march from Pest to join von Traun had been delayed to deal with some local insurgents. Loeban had sent a messenger for help, stating he was outnumbered almost four to one. In Maros, General von Traun was in slightly better shape, but not by much. At least von Traun was a seasoned professional. Von Starhemberg was more concerned about Loeban.

But first he had to deal with the rebel army arrayed before him. With a practiced eye he could tell they were extremely well organised and well equipped. These were not merely malcontent peasants. There was good money behind this uprising. He sent dispatches to Emperor Leopold expressing his concerns.

Still, well organised and well equipped did not necessarily mean well led, and after a week in the field he had managed to outmaneuver the enemy and force a battle. A decisive victory would go a long way to nipping this nonsense in the bud.

Von Starhemberg had 14,000 infantry arranged in three lines, flanked by two cavalry wings of 2,000 men each. His ten cannon was placed before the infantry. Opposite their position, the enemy numbered almost 20,000, including perhaps 2,000 cavalry and maybe 5 guns. They occupied the land between a village and a river.

"Well, Colonel Schreyer, if we begin this action now, perhaps we can all leave this cold weather sooner, yes?"

The Colonel sneezed. As if a signal, orders were relayed to commence firing. Moments later the cannon erupted with a puff of smoke and a throaty roar.

"We shall trade shots for a bit," von Starhemberg stated. "Then we shall move on the village. If we deny the village to the Magyars we can flank them with our cavalry."

The battle raged until noon. By late morning General von Starhemberg had won his village and used it to launch an assault on the enemy’s left wing. The rebel was forced to bend back toward the river. Fearing entrapment, they swiftly broke and fled the field, leaving the Austrians in control.

With Magyar safely in Austrian hands, von Starhemberg detailed men to round up the rebel ringleaders. Satisfied, he marched south to Pest, hopefully in time to reach Colonel Loeban.

January 31, 1700: Carpathia

Carpathia was mountainous and forbidding, a hard land by any standard. As the rebels of Magyar fled von Starhemberg, Ferenc Rakoczy II marched unopposed into Carpathia and settled down to besiege its capital.

It would prove tough to take, but if successful, Carpathia would become the perfect site to prosecute his war of independence, and his ultimate goal of the crown of Transylvania.

February 2, 1700: Tirol

Max Emmanuel, the Electoral Prince of Bavaria, felt no regret over his betrayal of the Austrian Emperor. He was an ambitious man who longed to expand the lands of his native country. To that end he had plotted with the French in a bid to ally himself with the Two Crowns. In return he received a guarantee allowing annexation of any territory acquired through conquest.

As part of that agreement the French King Louis XIV had dispatched the monies required to finance a sizeable army, and provided documents with the necessary assurances that would accommodate Bavaria at the peace table. Armed with these weapons the Elector then declared war on Austria and a month later found himself in the mountains of Tirol laying siege to its capital.

And now, as he looked at the solid walls of Innsbruck, Max Emmanuel prayed the proffered aid from France would not be long in arriving.

March 4, 1700: Maros

Not everywhere had the revolution been as well coordinated as in Magyar. In Maros the rebels found themselves ill prepared when the time came to raise the standard of revolt. They entered the field outnumbering the Austrians by a good margin of two to one. However, internal bickering served to promote strife, which ultimately led to a most inopportune place for battle.

But for General Otto Ferdinand Graf von Traun it was a rare opportunity realised, and by the end of the day the rebels had been shattered and Maros was back under Austrian control.

Revolt in Hungary: January - February, 1700

revolt_hungary_1700.jpg

Historical Note: Talk about fast and furious. Historically Bavaria doesn't launch it's sneak attack until September 9, 1702, and the Rakoczy Uprisings didn't happen until 1703. Just call me lucky :rolleyes:

Therefore I decided to take several separate elements and weave them together. (i.e. there's no proof that Rakoczy and Max Emmanuel had ever plotted together.)

Call it literary license.

Last edited: