• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mr. Capiatlist

Mademoiselle Gothique (she/her/hers)
88 Badges
Dec 4, 2003
nhkendall.com
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
Hello, to keep myself busy on the forums as my Byzantine campaign climaxes (then sputters before coughing up blood and part of its spleen) and ends, I have dared to start a novel-styled D/AAR (During/After Action Report) about that back-water that is Transvaal. Updates shall be long, few and far in between. If it seems like I've quit, I probably am on holiday. This is the same way I write in my book. :rolleyes:

eastern_transvaal.GIF

As the sun set over Gregor's small farm house in the region of Barberton, birds flew; siluetted in the dying sun. He watched the sun with the same intensity he did his wife at their small wedding only a few months past. His eyes never wavered for more than a second. He had gotten a letter that day. Arabella had given it to him around noon, when he came back home to have lunch. It had been the first letter he had recieved since the wedding. It was from his brother, Nicolaas who was a reserve soldier who lived in Pretoria with his wife Healther, English by birth, but spoke Afrikaans when around her adopted family.

Gregor had read the letter several times through, trying to pick up any hidden meaning, but there was none to be found. He sighed, it seemed the country was moving toward war with the Zulu nation. The government, recently, was filling itself with ideas of a "Grand Boer Empire." Such talk even scared the Oranje River Republic, the close ally of Transvaal.

"This cannot be good," Gregor said to his wife, who had struggled outside under the weight of seven months of pregancy.

"What?" she asked, not really expecting the news to be any worse then one of Nicolaas' sons being ill... again...

"Nicolaas' division might be called up if this war with the Zulu proves true. No good can come out of this war..."

Gregor knew this was not true, as a pure Boer he knew he had to support his country in building a better life for its citizens, and taking Zulu land ment having a port, which ment more trade can come in without the Brits interfering. His gaze lowered from the sun to the fields stretching around his house. His brother-in-law, Groot, was approaching, having finished his work in the fields. Since Groot didn't have the money or education to buy and run a farm, he and Gregor's sister, Anne, lived on Gregor's farm and helped around to pay off their rent.

"What took you so long?" Gregor called out to lumber wall of human.

"I got lost!" Groot called. Gregor rolled his eyes, he didn't believe it, but he'd play along for the time being.

"Well hurry up, dinner is soon. I want you cleaned up for this meal, got me?!"

"Yes, sir," Groot jokingly saluted, but it angered Gregor. He watched Groot walk into the house, by-passing the water spicket all together.

"I don't think that man will ever have an once of decency in him," Gregor told Arabella.

"He needs to learn, and you and Anne need to teach him. He tries so hard to prove his loyalty to him, give him a chance," Arabella argued. Gregor nodded solemnly, he was more worried about being called up for this impending war. The Zulu are fanatics.

"Yes, true... but it seems that you tell me that every night and nothing seems to come of it; does it? I just wish he weren't family; maybe then I would feel so damn bad about hating him.... GROOT?" Gregor yelled.

"Yes, sir?" eminated a weak voice from the house.

"DID YOU WASH YOUR HANDS?" Groot scampered out of the house, well he scampered as well as a 6'3", 220lbs man can; and washed his hands in the spicket. "Thank you Groot."

"You're welcome, sir. Thank for reminden' me!" Groot smiled and waved. Gregor wait until the beast had turned around before shaking his head.

"He'll make a good soldier." Arabella said quietly. Gregor winced, he hated this topic.

"I just feel lucky for the guy behind him, safest man out there... giant moving bullet magnet he is."

"Watch out, your tour is coming up quickly. You'd better hope this Zulu war is sorted out by then."

"Yes, I hope that it never starts in the first place, much better for Nicolaas and Anne. Nicolaas doesn't mention the boys in his letter, that is either really, really' good; or really, really bad... or both... I never can tell with those boys... Let us hope ours isn't like that." Gregor leaned over and kissed his wife, and she returned to the house, sencing his will to be alone. His gaze returned to the sun, it was slowly slipping under the hills to the north, the world was going to be a very different place for him very soon... but Gregor didn't know that... not just yet....

Last edited:
Looks interesting! I will be watching.

Rensslaer

Yes, good start. And I think we all know war is coming. Somehow, I think Groot will survive even though presenting an inviting target. He lacks just enough smarts to make it through. Good character. :D

Awesome! Hopefully this AAR won't die like every other Oranje/Transvaal AAR! :cool:

As for the name, a quick search should get you a list.

War with the Zulu!

Nicolaas paced the room of his small home in the Capital of Transvaal. He looked out of the nearest window toward the parliment building just a few blocks down the road. The road was bustling with people in a hurry now that men from around the small nation were converging on the capital to watch the deliberations within the small capital building.

Nicolaas' two sons, Barend (9) and Devoss (7) were running around the whole house playing "Boers and Brits," one of their favourite games, but one that angered Healther. Oddly enough, Boer and British relations were mending. The conservatives, who, even after splitting over the topic of slavery, still controled 96% of parliment. They were debating war with the Zulu nation. Nicolaas already realized that the war was inevitable, Transvaal needed a port so that it and the Oranje River Republic could trade freely. There was a knock at the door, Nicolaas felt his gut wrench from its spot and he slowly went downstairs to the door. He saw Healther reaching for the knobb but said kindly, "No, dear, I'll get it; it is probably for me."

Healther smiled akwardly as Nicolaas opened the door, it was one of Devoss' friends, Idrissa; a small African boy that Nicolaas wasn't particularly fond of.

"I guess you want to play with Devoss and Barend?" Nicolaas asked trying his best to mask his anger.

"Sir, that be nice later, but they want you at the capital building! Something about calling up the South/Central Army." Nicolaas' stomach re-twisted, he swallowed hard. Idrissa continued, "Are we going to kill some of those healthen Zulus?" Nicolaas was surprised at this remarked and considered reconsidering this boy.

"I have a good feeling that if by 'we' you mean 'me,' then yes, I am going to have to kill alot of Zulus. Devoss is upstairs, the boys need a few more Brits to kill." The small boy ran upstairs. Nicolaas glanced upward at his wife before leaving toward the capital.

There he saw his commander for the local reserve army. He walked over to him and asked the much anticipated question.

THe commanded took a deep breath before answering, "The government has deemed the Zulus a threat to our society. They are planing to declare war, so they are calling up the South/Central Army and the North/East Army."

"70,000 troops?!" Nicolaas said in a whispered yell.

"Yeah, they aren't expecting too much resistance from the Zulus, they just want troops to have stationed there as Boer merchants move into the territory."

"What have the decided about Swaziland?"

"They've decided that the fort is need to defend Boer caravans to Zululand, whether the Portugese like it or not. They've recomended that soldiers move their families to the region to stave off any attempts of the Portugese occuping the region."

"They move forward with such a daring thing?"

"Nicolaas, you seem to forget, we are going to invade another sovereign nation that has does nothing to harm us under the pretense of national security but it is really just another step for this oligarchy of nepotism and cronyism to creating the Boer Empire!" Nicolaas held his mouth, secretly, he was a member of a far-right monarchist group operating within the government. The Boer Empire was his dream. Inside the congress room, a gavel sounded the end of deliberation. A boy sprang from the doors and shouted that war was to be declared in December.

Nicolaas smiled inside as he headed home, it was time to call up his men from around the capital and get them back into uniform, they'd be marching east very soon....

-----------------------------------

Gregor, on the other hand, was in a market, trying to sell his home distilled beer. It was the only way to make money when the corn was only knee-high. Sales were relatively good for him that year, as people headed into Swaziland to set up a new life. He was becoming increasingly worried about what the politicians in Pretoria were doing. The sun was only a few hours from setting, so he decided to make the two hour trip to his home now, and arrive in time for the late dinner.

Chatter started around the small village that war with the Zulus had alread been declared, and that a Zulu Army and a Boer Army were going to clash around the village. The town elders wanted to build forification, others wanted to move westward, and still fewer wanted to move eastward into Swaziland. Gregor didn't want to go anywhere but home.

Groot was running toward him in the distance. Gregor was horor struck by this scene, Groot had found his way into town, it must have been very important.

"Sir, sir!" He shouted, he was very tired, he probably had ran the whole trek, at least Gregor would company on this leg of the journey home. "It is a letter from Nicolaas!"

"What does it say?"

"I don't know... You're the only one who can read. I tried to read, but it just looks like scribbles to me." Gregor reached out and took the letter from Groot. It was very short:

"Gregor, War with Zulu inevitable, South/Central Army is being called up. I'll be in Barberton before Christmas, Nicolaas."

"Dammit! Why? Why did those idiots have to do that?!" Gregor jumped onto his cart and shouted to the town, "People, people!" The rough of the market began to die down and people watched Gregor as he looked around trying to find his words. "People, our wonderful government, it seems, has gotten us into a little conflict with the Zulu. Pretoria has decided that, if the Zulu do not give into our demands of annexation, we shall be going so be force! The Transvaal Army, the North/East Army and the South/Central Army will all be marching through own town before Christmas! This is what my brother, an officer in the South/Central Army has told me. Mark my words, this cannot be a good sign!"

---------------------------

In a small church in Pretoria, a small girl sat with her father and prayed. She hated the church, the bloodied form of Jesus always scared her, and she was tormented with images of the apocolypse and the final judgement. Her name was Lina, her father, Basilius, was the head of a far-right junta within the government. She did not, of course, know this. So, as she prayed that Jesus would recover from his wounds so that the scary cross could be taken down, she had no clue her father was plotting instead of praying.

anonymous4401 said:
Awesome! Hopefully this AAR won't die like every other Oranje/Transvaal AAR! :cool:

As for the name, a quick search should get you a list.
How is Hawai'i? My mum is there right now. Wench left me here in Ohio with my two younger siblings and my helpless father! I doubt you will see her though, she is on Maui.

I found a site with first names, but yet to have found one with last names, I guess I'll use a leader.csv for the last name. I hope this AAR won't die either, luckily I have a game to base it off of.....

The story has only gotten to July of 1836, but I'm at April of 1848. Some very interesting things have happened in North America... but I won't ruin the surprise ;) . I'm going to stop playing until the story catches up and I finish the units for Byzantium (Only the army and only for Byzantium and her puppets).

Leader.csv is an excellent place to look. I got a lot of my names from there. :cool:

Also, Hawai'i is the same as it ever was. The most awesome place to live in the world. :cool:

(Except the housing prices.)

anonymous4401 said:
Leader.csv is an excellent place to look. I got a lot of my names from there. :cool:

Also, Hawai'i is the same as it ever was. The most awesome place to live in the world. :cool:

(Except the housing prices.)
Been there twice. Maui, that is... it has slid a little bit backwards, the whole "Outback Bar + Grill" thing started to piss me off, they built it in this wonderful seafood joint... one of those mom and pop things. Almost had an ayngruism.

So war it is, even if everyone is not quite happy about it. And one wonders what kind of company Groot will really be given that Gregor really doesn't care for him too much. Guess he'd better get used to it since both will be going off to kill some Zulus. Good luck.

coz1 said:
So war it is, even if everyone is not quite happy about it. And one wonders what kind of company Groot will really be given that Gregor really doesn't care for him too much. Guess he'd better get used to it since both will be going off to kill some Zulus. Good luck.
Actually, neither Groot nor Gregor go. It was really short so only reserves were drawn up, never a drafted army.

I'll return to the AAR as soon as the Mega-Campaign is finished. It has not yet died!

Onwards to Empire. :cool:

Onwards! :cool:

Got some dark undercurrents going on in this... I'll be interested to see how they work out!

Rensslaer

Rensslaer said:
Got some dark undercurrents going on in this... I'll be interested to see how they work out!

Rensslaer
So am I; I've played through 1860, but like I said, finishing the Byzantine AAR is my top priority. This AAR has not died, it is actually fun for me to write, but if I make it a daily thing, then it won't be fun.

Then make it a bi-weekly thing. Or an every-two-days thing. Just get done with that Byzantium thing, will ya? :p

I should be posting in this AAR in two or three weeks, depending on how much Tech stuff I have to do. Anon. the byzantine stuff is almost over.... so very close to over....

Gregor and Arabella watched as the soldiers began to march through the city to camp on the other side. 70,000 men where there, including many black regiments, poorly armed and in old, tattered uniforms.

"They must really be expecting a fight," Arabella said.

"Or a massacre, take your pick," Gregor stated flatly.

"This is what the government decided was best for us," Arabella craddled their eight month old baby boy, Johannes. "We have been blessed, Gregor, with a child and your safety. Anne has been blessed with Groot's safety."

"There is nothing good that 70,000 troops can do, none what so ever..." Nicolaas walked up from behind.

"A grand sight to behold, ehh brother?" he asked cooly. Gregor turned around and have him a wicked smile of disagreement. "Brother, this is for the good of the Boers. You'll come to see that. Holland has had much trouble lately. Rebellion knows no boundaries other than ignorance. The war with Belgium has left it weakened and revolts from Hannover have spilled over into Friesia. What good could possibly come from this for those people. They might not be Boers, but they are brethren?"

"What does this have to do with Zululand?" asked Gregor.

"It means a new home for those people. The UK won't let dutch immigrants into Transvaal or the Orange River Republic. It we have a seaport, they can come directly to us!"

"Somehow, I feel as this is not entirely for immigrants."

"True, other things have played a part. The attacks against settlers in Swaziland, and the need for a trade port have all played a roll."

"You make it seem honorable to kill women an children."

"How dare you!" Nicolaas shouted, "How dare you accuse ous of that blasphemy! We kill only those who resist us!"

"And they will just hand you the key to their nation? I doubt it. They don't want us!"

"We'd move through Natal, but I doubt you wish to see the Brits marching through here..." Nicolaas smiled in his brother's defeat. Gregor turned away and looked back toward the mass of men in the town square.

"Gregor," Arabella said, "Invite your brother to our home, he can sleep there." Gregor turned to his wife and glared. Nicolaas waited silently, watching the two wisper amongst themselves. "Well?" Arabella asked.

"Nicolaas, you are welcomed to our home, but you will not speak of the war in front of Anne or Groot. Hear me? Our household is not one that wishes for young men to die in war."

Nicolaas smiled, he removed the feathered officer's hat on his head. "Don't worry, Gregor, their ears shall not be tainted with my thoughts."

"Good to hear it." Gregor said.

When the family had gathered around the table for dinner, Nicolaas was sitting across the table from Gregor, both brother's at the ehads of the table. Arabella and Anne placed the food around the three men and then sat down themselves. Gregor led the family in saying Grace. Nicolaas waited until Gregor reached into the food before moving. Gregor was in control of this house, and Nicolaas knew it. He eyeballed Groot, whom he had never seen before even though he was married to his sister. He dared not anger Gregor, when his henchman sat so very close to him.

"So what has Heather planned for the boys?" Anne asked.

"I'm hoping that they behave, but more likely she will go mad and tie them to their beds. Those two are quite a handful, even for an officer like me. But boys will be boys I guess, they remind me alot of us, Gregor." Gregor lifted his head up briefly and smiled discontently.

"Do they, Nicolaas?" Arabella asked.

"Yes, very... You couldn't get those two apart if you had five men on each pulling in opposite directions."

"What is the state of things in the capital?" Anne asked. Nicolaas looked over to Gregor who nodded slightly, before continueing with his meal.

"Everything is normal, if that is what you can call politics. Things are being worked out with the UK to allow Dutch immigrants into our nation, but little is coming from the Brits. Everything is peechy in Europe but the barbaric American's and their little puppy dog Texas are really angering the Mexicans; both sides are offering contratcs for weapons manufacturing, but we haven't enough people to do such a thing. It really is sad that when industrialization is handed right to us, we cannot do anything with it." Nicolaas played with his peas before eating a few on the edge of his knife.

"You know Nicolaas, we have forks in this household," Gregor pointed out.

Nicolaas swollwed and said, "By George, you do have forks here." Everyone watched him curiously as he put the knife down and fiddled with the fork.

"So, what are you going to make your soldiers do while they are here?" Gregor asked. The women held their breath.

"They are building a school. A little one by the edge of the river. We are even going to have a teacher brought in, and the city's boys and girls are going to learn their ABC's and 123's and all that other stuff we had to teach ourselves, Gregor." The two brothers stared each other down.

"That is the greatest paradox I've ever heard. So, Nicolaas, when are they breaking ground?"

"Well, Gregor, I guess tomorrow, and in fact they are going to have it done in six days." Nicolaas held his breath, how was he going to accoplish all of this?

"Well, a school would be very welcomed in our town." Gregor nodded and the dinner continued without event.

Last edited: