• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

das

Althistorian
64 Badges
Feb 13, 2001
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
Okay, there will be Prussia AAR. And btw, could anyone host my screenshots for free?

Bookstyle AAR - Part I

Note! IGT means In Game Terms, and isn’t associated by any way with the book itself.

Prelude: In previous volume, I described the origin of Prussian tribe, the conquest by Teutons, and creation of Grand Duchy of Prussia. In this volume, I will describe the rise of Prussia to become one of main super powers. I decided that I should begin it from 1419 (Reichow family arrives to Konigsberg – Ferdinand Reichow becomes first chancellor of Prussia from Reichow line) to 1819 (last of Reichow family dies). So this volume is about Reichow chancellors, and about Prussia in so-called Reichow period.

Now, those who don’t remember the end of my first volume, but want to know the situation in Prussia, please read the following (it’s copied from end of first volume):

The Situation in 1419:

“To the north from Grand Duchy there is Teutonic Order, Prussia is officially part of order, but was very autonomous territory (IGT: vassal and ally). To the southeast there is Grand Principality of Lithuania, a nation in rise. To the west and southwest, there is very old Kingdom of Poland – old enemy of Prussians and The Order. Prussian Ducal Army consisted of 6,000 halberdiers and 4,000 swordsmen (IGT: 10000 infantry) and 8000 knights (IGT: 8000 cavalry). Its leader was Hausen von Memel. Prussia possessed no navy, although both Memel and Konigsberg could be used for navy. Domestic politics were based on Aristocracy (IGT: Aristocracy +7), small decentralization (IGT: Decentralization +4), a little bit narrow-minded society (IGT: +4 Narrow-minded), strong Ducal control over Prussian Trade (IGT: +7 Mercantilism), Medium Military Doctrine (IGT: Defensive Doctrine +5), Land-Based military (IGT: +6 Land Based), Army based a little bit more on Quality then on Quantity (IGT: +6 Quality), Serf Peasantry (IGT: +9 Serfdom)”

Chapter I – 1419-1427 – Ferdinand Reichow starts Reichow Period.

In 1419, in Stettin (Principality of Pomerania), lived German nationalist – unionist named Ferdinand Reichow. But Prince Kazimierz V of Pomern didn’t like his ideas, and was afraid of possible revolution against his nation. So he had expelled him (In 31 December of 1418) and his family, including his wife and son, Maximillian Reichow. But Reichows were lucky.

Michael Kuchmeister von Sternberg, Grand Duke of Prussia had the same thoughts. So he not only accepted Reichow family to live in Konigsberg, he let them live in his palace, and even… He made Ferdinand the second man in Prussia and chancellor. His first move as chancellor was decreasing of naval significance – with no navy, this move was acceptable. He proclaimed, “Prussia is not Naval Nation – its land-based nation” (IGT: Land Based is now +7). His next reform was creation of permanent taxation system (IGT: Bailiffs were promoted in Prussia and in Memel). This took many moths, however.

Meanwhile, first war that soon were destroying Europe in so called “Military Crisis”, when Aragonese (Aragon was a nation to the east of Iberia) crusaders attacked remainders of Al-Andalusia – city of Grenada and it’s territories, that also included Mount Gibraltar – very important strategical position. This position and Tangiers were Aragonese targets. Fez (northern Morocco) and Algiers have decided not to let Aragonese to expand. War of Gibraltar begined. But for better information, you need to look El Rodrigo’s “Late Medieval Iberia”. The importance of “Military Crisis” that got Europe for several decades for Prussian History was the only purpose that I mentioned Gibraltarian War.

On January 8, Teutonic Order has gone to war against small Russian principality of Pskov. Ferdinand decided that in order to keep alliance, Prussia will participate, but only officially. Neither side was able to win in beginning, until in 1st May 1419, when Teutons have managed to besiege Pskov, and kill much of Pskovitan Army. But in the same day, there was something more important – Sapieha, the grand Prince of Lithuania known for his ultra-Catholic beliefs, has proclaimed that no one that will try to annex Prussia will be safe from Lithuanian Army (IGT: Lithuania guarantees Prussian Independence).

In 7th of July, other large conflict of “Military Crisis” begined – Moscovy and Novgorod has started war for dominance in Russia. Ferdinand Reichow has decided, that the one who will unite Russia should gain Prussian friendship. No wonder he said that, since he himself said: “When Russia will wake up, it will be most powerful nation in the world” (IGT: Since Moscovy would be probably victorious, I’ve sent state gift to Moscow, which worth 63 D). In June, one of Michael’s daughters was sent to Grand Knyaz (Grand Prince) Basmanov of Moscovy. Basmanov’s son, Alexander Rurik have married her (IGT: RM with Moscovy).

In August 21, Swedes have agreed with Ferdinand that they could go through Prussian territory. In the end of 1419, Taxation Reform was complete (IGT: Bailiffs in Memel and Prussia are finally promoted!). In 8th January Teutons finally annexed Pskov, but they still had large causalities both in Ostland and in Pskov itself. Sapieha all those times continued guaranteeing Prussian survival (IGT: Lithuania guarantees our independence 4 more times). In November 29 1420, Ferdinand von Reichow and Hausen von Memel have made several important reforms in army – mainly defensive reforms of fortifications (IGT: Military Reform, we are nearing to Land Technology 2, which allows number 2 fortress).

In middle of 1422, new Grand Duke took the throne – Paul Bellizer von Russendorf has become the ruler of Prussia. His first move was to let Ferdinand von Reichow to continue on his post of chancellor and second person in Grand Duchy. Before that point, Reichows almost lost their power, since much of the nobles suspected Ferdinand in assassination of Michael. However, Paul Bellizer, Foreign and Defense Minister, and third person in Prussia was one of Reichow supporters, so when he become Duke, he proclaimed Ferdinand innocent. So Reichow period was saved. In end of 1422, they gained even more reputation in Prussia, after Hausen-Ferdinand Reforms were finally completed (IGT: another Land Reform event, I’m feeling lucky ). In February 22 of 1423, heretic faction of so-called Bothmorians (Bothmor von Ritchengoff, that proclaimed that Saint Paul was actually Jesus’ cousin) has speard in Prussia. Ferdinand Reichow have decided to take a loan and suppress the heresy (IGT: Multichoice random events – I could either Fund Suppression of Heresy (-50 D) or Ignore Heresy (-1 stability). Since I didn’t wanted any stability loss, I went with Fund Suppression of Heresy, but since I only had 24 D, I had to take a loan). Soon, Bothmorians were suppressed, and Bothmor von Ritchengoff was tied up to a stick, and stick was set on fire.

In February 24 of 1424 AD, Grand Master Chemnitz of Livonian Order has married Ferdinand’s daughter, Maria (IGT: RM with Teutonic Order). In middle of 1425, Italian traveler Roddendo has arrived to Prussia, and told Ferdinand about Italian Fine Arts Academies. Then Ferdinand decided to hire Roddendo so he will study arts in Ducal University of Konigsberg (IGT: Infrastructure Technology 2 – I can now build Fine Arts Academies). In 19 August 1425, there was a small incident, in which a new tax-collector was trying to buy tax-collector’s office in Konigsberg. However he was denied (IGT: Multi-choice random event, I could either Accept (then I will gain +100 D, but my tax value in Prussia will decrease by -1) or Deny (then I will loose 5 VP). Since it was a small price for me, I’ve disagreed).

In early 1426, Hausen have agreed with Paul and with Ferdinand to take a loan in order to improve fortifications of Konigsberg. In March, fortification upgrades begined. In late 1426, nobles were demanding war against Poland. But it would be too hard, since Lithuania was in that alliance. So on special council, in Konigsberg in 17th November, it was decided that war will be waged against Teutons, so Grand Duchy will be fully autonomous. Main targets of this war would be:
1) To cancel Vassalization by Teutonic Order.
2) To take Center of Trade in Kurland.
On 22 January of year 1427, the preparations for war had begined…
EDIT: Screenshots:
1419 Europe and DP.jpg

Europe 1419 and our DP after the first change.
Prussia before start of next chapter.jpg

Prussia before the next chapter.

Last edited:
Could anyone host my GREAT!!!!!!!!! pictures?

Update!

History of Prussia by Professor Daniel Pavlovitch Adamow: Volume II – 1419-1819.

Chapter II – 1427-1429 – The War of Vassalhood.

Before we go to the war itself, we need to say one thing about shape of Prussian Ducal Army. First of all, its new commander was Wismar von Reichow – Ferdinand’s client who changed his family name to Reichow. This means that Ferdinand had large control over Army through Wismar. Second, is that army was well prepared for war.
In the form of table, I will try to explain Prussian Ducal Army and Teutonic Order Knight Regiments in number of men in January 1427 (OCC: swordsmen, crossbowmen and halberdiers is infantry, and knights are cavalry):
# Prussian Ducal Army Teutonic Order Knight Regiments
Halberdiers: 4,000 7,000
Swordsmen: 6,000 4,076
Crossbowmen: 1,000 5,853
Knights: 8,000 3,529
Main Leader: Wismar von Reichow Gera von Ostland
Wismar decided (not without “advice” from Ferdinand von Reichow) to recruit 3,000 more crossbowmen and 4,000 swordsmen (IGT: We recruit 7,000 more infantry). In middle 1427, he finally was ready for war. But Gera von Ostland has splited Teutonic Army so the war would be harder and easier in the same time. But Wismar finally decided to start the war for Kurland and Independence – one of the most important wars of Prussian history! In 2 August of 1427, on the same day after Hundred Years War continued after 5-years long Toulouse Treaty.

Interesting that English troops has crossed temporary border exactly 2 hours before the War of Vassalhood has started. This was 1 to 1 war, but there was one problem – much of people have thought that Teutons will win, and burn Konigsberg. So nation was very near to collapse. Ferdinand von Reichow has started his speech: “You know that we are having a hard times…
But we can win this war! We wil-“ but then people has started to throw stones on him, and he had to use his bodyguards and evacuate to Ducal Palace (IGT: Stability -3). But meanwhile, Wismar has started quick movement into Kurland. At “Wismar” Forest (as it was named after Wismar), Teutons has started retreat, but were surrounded by 200 crossbowmen in the end of the forest, and were all killed. This victory has improved situation back in home (IGT: stability is now -2). Siege has begined, but meanwhile, Gera von Ostland has united remained Teutonic troops, and started march to Kurland. In very hard battle at Riga, Gera von Ostland and Wismar von Reichow has meted for the first time… and for the last. At one point, Prussians has almost loosed. But then, Wismar and 50 knights has charged and killed Gera von Ostland. Teutons started horrible retreat, and Prussians won. Prussian causalities, according to “Foreign Chronicles” by famous traveler-chronologist John the Jew, were reaching 13,000 men, and according to the same “Foreign Chronicles”, Teutonic looses were reaching 15,500 – almost all of their army!

I’m using “Foreign Chronicles” since they are neutral – Catholic sources of information decrease Prussian looses, and say that Teutons have fought to the death, while Protestant sources say the opposite. From 8th to 10th October, the battle was waged. This victory has inspired Prussian soldiers to continue the pressure on fortress of Riga – last Teutonic-controlled point of Kurland. Back in home, Ferdinand von Reichow has ordered to begin great recruitment for Siege of Riga. Somehow, Teutons has turned the entire city into invincible fortress. Stability situation was also improved by Battle at Riga (IGT: stability is now 0). In September 22 of 1428 AD, Riga finally fell. Optimism of population was increasing (IGT: stability is now +1). Teutons still didn’t wanted to gave up Kurland. Dorpat – the capital of Order was under siege for the first time since it’s foundation – in December 2 of 1428 siege was finally laid! On beginning of 1429, only 1% of Prussian population were pessimists (IGT: stability is now +3). In 1429, January 20, Ferdinand has made some military reforms (IGT: I’ve moved DM Settings - +1 for Land Basics – it’s now 7!). On the same day, Poland, Lithuania and Brandenburg (with help from Mantua and Pfalz Palatinate) declare war on Livonian (Teutonic) Order.

Lithuania has agreed, that they could walk through Prussian territory, in order to enter Teutonic lands from both sides. On 7th May of 1429, Dorpat fell. Grand master Chemnitz was captured. Negotiations begun. Chemnitz didn’t want to loose Kurland. But it was proclaimed that he must sign the document by which Prussia becomes independent Nation and gains Kurland, including Riga or else he will be tied up to two wild horses and they will be set free in forest, where Chemnitz would die in terrible and horrible execution. The only way to survive for him was to agree the treaty… But defeats were persuading him… In battle of Ostland Fort, Wismar has died, but Prussian Ducal Army still had won. Those who protected Ostland Fort were Teutonic Elite. Then remainders of Teutonic Army died at Revel. In July 13 of 1429, the peace was finally agreed, by which Prussia become independent Kingdom of Prussia, and Kurland becomes one of it’s parts.

Part II is ended! I also got one more screenshot! Where can I put it?
Stay tooned (or something like that) for Part III – 1429-1439 – the Great Reform!
EDIT: Screenshots:
editPhotos.fcgi

Europe before The War of Vassalhood...
editPhotos.fcgi

...And Prussia after it.

Last edited:
ANyone is reading my AAR?

Prussia was one of my favourite countries to play in the EU IGC. Glad to see it kicking arse. I liked the

Soon, Bothmorians were suppressed, and Bothmor von Ritchengoff was tied up to a stick, and stick was set on fire

bit :)

But i can see english isn't your mother tongue. Suggest you make shorter paragraphs and sentences - it doesn't have to be beautiful, not everyone is a budding novelist :) otherwise it makes slightly difficult reading - for me at least, and i want to know more!

Thanks for comment. Right now I'm negotiating about MY GREAT SCREENIES!

Nice AAR, enjoy reading it, though the shorter paragraph bit is true. And I think the word you're searching for is 'tuned'. Keep on posting, how far have you played this game yet?

Btw, you have increased Land Based twice and it was +6 in the beginning, right? *Counting* That would make +8? :D

It's Prussia, not Russia!

I will try to make an update on Saturday, okay?

"The Next Episode" is precisely here:

History of Prussia by Professor Daniel Pavlovitch Adamow: Volume II – 1419-1819.

Part III – 1429-1439 – the Great Reform!

After the War of Vassalhood, Ferdinand Reichow soon died in July 15 of 1429. His son Maximillian von Reichow has continued the march to glory for Prussia. He and Bellizer have turned Grand Duchy of Prussia into Royal States of Prussia. Every state had it’s own ruler, but Konigsberg wasn’t part of any state, and was ruled by King himself. Every July 15th, on Day of Union, rulers of all states meted the King. They were discussing general politics of Prussia. First states were Prussia Major, Memel and Kurland. Maximillian was ruler of Prussia Major.

The new questions arose:
1) With who to ally?
2) Will be there pro-Papal religious politics, or more autonomous religious politics?
3) Should Prussia be German-orientated or Baltic-orientated?

2 last questions were the most important – second decided that later, Prussia would become Protestant (since Prussia decided to be autonomous catholic, so Papists were too weak to stop this conversion to Protestant faith). Third has helped Prussia to join with Brandenburg into Prussia-Brandenburg (since Prussia decided to German-oriented). The first question was hard to answer, but wasn’t so influential on Prussian History.

Before the answers had come, Bellizer’s son Adolph Bellizer has married a Bradenburger princess (IGT: RM with Bradenburg) – this led to improved relations between Prussia and Brandenburg. As 1430 starts, he has ordered to reorganize the army (IGT: All of our troops in all territories of Teutonic Order and our own territories started marching to Prussia, in order to reunite). Also, Bellizer has ordered to recruit new men – in order to reestablish at least pre-War of Vassalhood soldier numbers (IGT: 4,000 more infantrymen recruited in Prussia). Bellizer and Reichow were receiving alliance offers from all kinds of countries, but always, those countries were too far. It was decided to try to ally with Denmark-Norway. Even as Kleves and Helvetia couldn’t do anything to help Prussia at that time, Sweden and Novgorod ‘could’ help (IGT: tried to join Danish alliance, which consisted of Denmark, Sweden, Helvetia, Kleves and Novgorod. Was rejected, oh well).

Bellizer has decided to take a loan, in order to grant Danish king (Not So IGT: No, not you, Danish King, I mean Elseneur – the King of Denmark-Norway) a big birthday present. After a birthday present, Danish princess has married Henrich von Reichow, Maximillian’s son (IGT: RM with Denmark). In February 1431, treaty was achieved – alliance was formed (IGT: Alliance with Denmark! Now that’s what I call “Northern Alliance”!). In May 9 1431, Kurlandian Knights decide to rejoin the “Order”. So they started a rebellion, which soon led to civil war in royal state of Kurland (IGT: 7,000 rebels in Kurland). Well, new army commander, Sire Koslin von Riga (ruler of Kurland state) has decided to make a quick campaign against rebels. This small civil war was known as “May-June Rebellion”, since in June 17 they were finally defeated at Wismar Forest, and their leaders were executed.

In November 19, Maximillian von Reichow has created “Trade Army” – large merchant group, which was used by Prussia in order to capture more income in centers of trade, especially in Riga (IGT: rush of merchants random event, +5 merchants). As 1432 starts, 2,000 more halberdiers and one thousand more knights were recruited (IGT: 2,000 more infantry and 1,000 more cavalry recruited in Prussia). Soon afterwards, alliance with Denmark has expired. Soon, alliance with Denmark-Norway and Sweden was reestablished (IGT: Alliance has expired – but we were invited by Denmark to join their alliance with Sweden).

In May 5 of 1432, Lithuania has finally defeated Teutons, and gained Pskov and Polotsk. Chemnitz was the worst Teutonic master, according to “Foreign Chronicles” – I would had agreed, if only there would be no worst ruler – the last master of Teutons… Two next years did not, in fact, brought anything important to Prussian History. So meanwhile, I will describe an event, which, in very indirect way, has influenced Prussia very much – Byzantine was declining. In the same time, Wallachia and Moldavia, two Romanian principalities were leading Great Balkan Crusade – They have occupied all Ottoman lands in Europe. Aragonese knights used the fact, that Byzantine Empire was busy trying to hold Romanians, and had offered the Empire it’s protection, on conditions of creation of Crusader nation of Morea – under Aragonese crown. Byzantines had disagreed, and Aragonese had invaded and conquered Morea. Still, Paleologi weren’t recognizing “The Kingdom of Morea”. Byzantines managed to bribe the knights in 1424 (IGT: Peace treaty between Byzantines and Aragonese – 113 D to Aragon), and Kingdom of Morea was disbanded. This however weakened Byzantine Empire, and prevented the rebirth of their empire as super power.

In July 13 of 1434, Hungarian merchants had cheated in Riga trade. This was resolved diplomatically – Hungarian trader who harassed in Kurland is to be sent back to Hungary (IGT: Merchants Harassed Random Multichoice event: I could either “Escalate Complaint” (I will gain 60 months CB against Hungary) or “Diplomatically Resolve” (plus 25 relations with Hungary) I went with Diplomatically resolve – I don’t really care! J ). Prussian history for two following years once again didn’t brought anything important…

In August 17 of 1436 – Gera II von Ostland (Teutonic traitor, who joined Prussians) has demanded to give feudals more power. When it was disagreed, then he demanded increased pensions for feudals (IGT: Nobles Demand Increased Pensions random Multichoice event, I could either “Accept their demands” (-200 D) or “Refuse their demands” (-2 stability). I went with Refuse their demands – I already had one loan, and didn’t want to take any more). However, their demands were ignored… Soon, stability was again at top, so Gera was a failurer (IGT: Stability was first at +1, and then at +3). As 1438 starts, Gera starts his last attempt action against the government and policy of centralization - rebellion in Kurland (IGT: 7,000 more rebels in Kurland). Koslin has once again marched to Kurland… With less then 50 men lost, the rebellion was defeated – Koslin himself executed Gera. In 1439, last great reform of Maximillian takes place: once again, he makes army even more land-based, and proclaims, “there will be no Prussian Navy” (IGT: +1 to land-based – 9 to land based is now reached)…

Did you like it? Soon I can post some sweet screenshots, I hope!
Stay tuned for Part IV – 1439-1441 – last years of Maximillian.

Maybe I didn't understood - can I post there only photos or I also can post screenshots (kinda silly question, but I understood it like I can post there screenshots)?
EDIT: Screenshot:
editPhotos.fcgi

Baltic League.

Last edited:
This was about webshots...

I will try...

It isn't working!

I don't know what to say, it's (nearly) always worked for me. I've got a couple hundred pics there, and posting them on the other boards I frequent works like a charm.

Anyone know anything that might help?

Maybe Nalivayko will host my screenshots on his site?