• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Lord of Pain

Lt. General
4 Badges
Jul 13, 2004
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • 500k Club
This is my very first AAR but I am an experianced player in Victoria, so be nice! :)

I'll be going from a "soldier's view" in the country of Sweden, but first I'll write a little backround first. :)

I'm running on very hard and furious
My starting goals are:

• Make Sweden the 1'st or 2'nd great power of the world (if 2'nd, Sweden shall atleast be a threat to the 1'st)
  • Make Sweden a major colonial power in the world
  • Rebuild Swedish army and navy to her former glory.
  • Take back Sweden's rightful claims on neighbouring nations. (and maybe a bit more ;) )
  • Endure a GREAT war!
  • AND MORE!!! :)

BTW: The only thing I've edited is the claims for Sweden, I've got claims on ALL of the nordic nations. I go to school, so the updates might take some time. I hope you enjoy it! :)

The Swedish Soldier

swede0da.gif

Chapter I

Swedish History 1792 - 1836

liberty4uu.jpg

A new constitution was adopted and signed by Duke Karl in 1809 and this became the basis for the Swedish government for 162 years. The Swedish constitution was based on historical traditions and experiences, and its purpose was to create a balance between the various organs of the state. Before the King made any important decisions, he had to take advice from a nine-member council, which was appointed by him. Legislative power was divided between the King and the Swedish Riksdag, but only the Riksdag had the right to collect taxes from the people.

In May 1810, the Swedish Crown Prince Christian August of Augustenborg passed away. His older brother succeeded him, but a French marshal named Jean Baptiste Bernadotte was declared successor to the throne. At the age of 47 he was adopted as son to Charles XIII and took the name Charles XIV John. The reason why Sweden looked for a king in France was that the government wanted Finland back from the Russians and they thought that if we could get a good relationship with Napoleon he could help us to achieve this goal of ours. But it didn't turn out that way at all. In fact Charles was very pro-Russian.

His first important foreign political decision was to work for a creation of an alliance with Russia, so that they could help Sweden conquer Norway from Denmark. In exchange, Sweden should participate in the fight against Napoleon's tyranny. And that's what happened.

In 1812, Napoleon besieged the Swedish Pommern and that engendered heavy reactions in Sweden, which led to much more support for Charles ideas. So Russian and Prussian troops together with Swedish went to Pommern in 1813 and defeated Napoleon at the battle of Leipzig, 16-19 Oct. After that, Charles led his 158 000 men strong troop towards Denmark, that were defeated in 4 days. After the peace in Kiel the year after, Norway belonged to the Swedish King and was therefore unified with Sweden.

The Norwegians didn't like this. They had already declared themselves as an independent state, so Charles, he marched in with his troops and after a short campaign the Norsemen gave up and Charles XIII became king of Norway. In 1818 the king died and Charles became the first Bernadotte to sit upon the Swedish throne. During his reign the country went through some hard times with violent inflation, caused by the many expensive wars. As a king he became more and more independent, and this gave energy to many liberal thoughts that flourished among the people, which led to big changes in the society.

Because of the Industrial Revolution, there were increased demands for grain that was used for making bread. During this period Sweden developed very fast from being a poor agricultural country to a well-organized industrialism. Big changes were made which improved the living conditions for most of the population. This resulted in the fact that the farmers did not live so close to each other as they used to, and became free from conservative influences of their neighbors. Life expectancy also increased at that time. New ways of planting and a newly discovered crop, the potato, was introduced and this led to an improved diet for most of the population.

Even though the living standard was improving, there were a growing number of peasants who did not have any properties at all. Because of that, liberal ideas started to spread and became a fast-growing ideology that gained more and more supporters. In the beginning of the 1800s, Britain discovered a revolutionizing way of producing bar iron by using pit coal instead of charcoal. That is the reasons why Sweden lost its main customers in the ironwork industry. Some years later, the middle class in Sweden attacked the government because they wanted a radical change in the organization of the Riksdag, and this led, among other things, to an extensive reform of political representation and education. Therefore, it was decided that there should be at least one school in every parish. And this helped the spread of the liberalism even further, since many of the teachers had liberal ideas that they worked very hard to establish in the Swedish society.

The formation of liberal parties in Sweden took place among the free traders and craftsman in the cities. They were luckily to be well supported in the countryside by small farmers and were also helped by the Free Church.

Last edited:
Nice history lesson, some about stuff that is not usually mentioned (but of course, you have missed other parts of for example Bernadotte's military campaign.

After the French revolution, liberalism reached Sweden slowly under peaceful circumstances during the reign of Gustavus Vasa, Charles XI and Gustavus III.

This sentence just look really weird :p

Skarion said:
Nice history lesson, some about stuff that is not usually mentioned (but of course, you have missed other parts of for example Bernadotte's military campaign.

This sentence just look really weird :p

1. thank you for reading my AAR :)

2. I was trying too keep things on the history chapter short :)

3. I'm gonna correct it, thank you for telling me, good to know. :)

Good laying of the background.

St. Fenix said:
a nice opening to a good AAR :D

what exactly are your aims? or are they best left for the AAR?

and there ya go :D

-St. Fenix

Thx for the tip. :) I've edited in the goals...

Great we can never have to many swedixh AAR's! Just one thing though, if your solider starts at age 16 at the start of the game, by the end he will be 100. Make sure he takes his vitamins.

You'll see... You'll see... ;)

The Story begins

Note: This Chapter is gonna be slow moving because I want the backstory first :) Enjoy

Chapter II

PROLOUGE

whywefightbgimage3uj.gif
Ah...home... it's a warm place...why did I ever leave it?...what for?... fame?... glory?... democracy?!... I was young, foolish and ignorant... maybe those are the reasons why I left home... I really can’t remember, but I think was something about Jan... My dad had been in the military, he had been a general, he always made it look like that the military was a good path in life... but he got that one bullet that ended it all... I know that my bullet is very close by... The Cossacks have broken the lines in my division, they came out of nowhere, it was fog... I got lost... I... I cannot go on...

24 years earlier

5! 4! 3! 2! 1!

The bells from the church towers in Stockholm rang loud through out the city
"HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!" screamed the mass with hundreds of fireworks going up in the air from the harbor.
"NIKOLAUS!" Yelled a tall man. I didn't hear him but when he tapped my back and turned around, I burst out "Jan!" and chock hand with him. I felt a little embarrassed with my ragged clothes compared to his tux "Why don't you ever dress like a normal young person? why always these expensive tuxes and jewelry?" he didn't seem too care "You know my dad..." He answered. "Royalty's shall always dress properly" trying too imitate his fathers serious tone. "Well... your father is having a hard time now, the taxes for rich people has risen..." I said while we looked up at things exploding and lighting up the sky.

More people started too come into the harbor-area to watch the fireworks

"You know that my father is controlling my life all the time, but I was thinking... where should I go without him controlling me? I want a father more like yours, a father that is proud of your choices." Jan asked.
"My father isn't proud of ALL my choices" I said trying too keeping him from doing something stupid

A gigantic firework went off, enlighting the whole harbor, it looked like at least 3000 people were there.

"Well...father isn't really proud of anything I do. Maybe if you and I could go and enlist, how hard can the military be? And I think your father would help me from getting caught..." he said.
"Yeah, he hates your father...I also think that he would help out." I said.
"Then it’s settled?" He wondered.
"Looks like it." I said with a sigh.
"YES! HAPPY NEW YEAR INDEED!" He shouted happily

UPDATES COMING SOON​

This is my first AAR, as mentioned before, I know I'm not a great writer but i want some pointers, so please answer these questions:
(read note at the top)

Should I make the updates longer?
Should I make the updates better? if yes, in what way
Is ANTHING good?
I've typed in two different ways, one that has seperated lines for each dialog and one that's the opposite. What's the best way?
More pictures?
Ingame or like those before?
and so on...

Last edited:
Very nice! Read a bit of it and are going to continue on friday!

I like it so far. Its only just started so I can't pass too much judgement, but it is definately intriguing.

The first few years

soldiersdress3ho.jpg

Group photo​

Jan's plan succeeded, father understood Jan and kept our enlistment as a secret, Jan and I joined the small Swedish army in Stockholm, Jan regrets that he thought the military would be easy, he wasn't used to people screaming at him and making him do things like laundry and too cook, he began to hate our löjtnant (lieutenant).

For me it was quite easy, I was promoted to sergeant for my skills in leadership and I rather liked the lieutenant. Jan stopped complaining after a month, even though I knew he still hated the löjtnant, I think he stopped because he knew that it was his choice too join the army. More months passed and we were finally real soldiers of the Swedish army, we were the ones who were prepared too DIE for our country.

During these months, me and Jan had gotten some friends. Stig, a man from up north, from a city called Boden, he was a silent type but he always seems too fit in. Gustav, a man that joined because it was a family tradition, he never speaks much of his past, mostly of the present. There were more, but I spent most my time with my closest friends.

The time went by, taxes raised, more volunteers joined the army, democracy slowly came to the people, the industry was on all day, the army was moved around a lot. Suddenly a couple of years had passed since me and Jan joined, 4 years too be exact, we were 23 now. I had heard that Jan's father had been searching for his lost son, but all in vain, Jan was far from his sight or grasp.

May 10, 1840, a day I won't forget. When me and my friends were on leave in Malmö, suddenly a man on a horseback galloped through the city with a horn that went off loudly and he shouted "ALL SOLDIERS MUST RETURN TO THEIR BARRACKS!". Me and my friends rushed through the crowds that were flocking out on the streets too see what the fuss was all about, when we finally came to our barrack, a post was on our door. Others from our barrack came running behind us, I read the post loudly:

"War has been declared upon the bastards in Denmark...The Danes were not willing too co-operate with the democratic Swedish government...the commanders are currently planning the invasion...may God be with us all."

We didn't know what too think, if its good or bad. Some thought it was good because we are will finally going into battle. Some thought it was bad because they knew that some of their friends will die...

Last edited:
A good couple of updates. I liked the jovial nature of the first one. You captured a sense of celebration quite well. The second was slower, because the first two paragraphs were quite heavy.

Sort of answering your queries more directly, and I apologise for being a little verbose.

Should I make the updates longer?
Put this slightly different. Don't write a long update just to write a long update, but if an update happens to be long don't be afraid to post it. Likewise if an update happens to be short, it happens to be short. Of course, if you find yourself working on a very long update (5+ pages in Word) it might be worthwhile to consider whether or not it would be possible to break down. However, mostly this is something that practice will teach you.

Is ANTHING good?
Well yes. The history was good, and I really liked the joining up post.

I've typed in two different ways, one that has seperated lines for each dialog and one that's the opposite. What's the best way?
As a practical matter I've always found that leaving a blank line between each line of dialogue is always easier to read.

More pictures? Ingame or like those before?
Not that I use pictures myself, but I think your trend so far of just using a picture at the top of each post is fine. Again though this is one that I am sure is learnt by doing. As for the rider question, if you are doing a more character update (like the last two) I personally would say no. If you were doing a more history-book update to perhaps give us an overview then a screenie could fit right in. However, it is a personal choice thing. If you think something might work, give it a go and see!

Should I make the updates better? if yes, in what way? and so on...
OK, I changed the order of the questions slightly, but I thought this one would be better at the end since it is more general. A useful general tip. When you have written an update do something else for an hour or two, and then go back to it to read-through.

Another more general point, and why I thought those two paragraphs were heavier, is something usually put under the heading of "show not tell". Basically if you can "show" something it is better than "telling" us. In those two paragraphs you 'tell' us that Jan and Nikolaus became good friends with Stig and Gustav, and that Jan hates the lieutenant. An alternative approach might be to have a scene with Jan, Nikolaus, Gustav, and Stig doing something together, be it drinking, marching, or polishing boots. Jan makes a nasty joke about the lieutenant. The first time Stig and Gustav speak Nikolaus could reflect on where they came from.

The joining up update is a fairly good example of 'show', in my opinion. You didn't tell us Jan and Nikolaus were planned to join up together at New Year, you went through the conversation. It was a very enjoyable scene as well.

However, saying all of that if you have an idea, give it a go. Writing is really something you learn more by doing than anything else. The more you write the more you will find what works for you. Also, read other AARs. Other authors are a constant source of ideas for scenes or things you might like to try out in your own AAR.

This AAR is off to a good start. A war with Denmark appears to be in the offing, and I want to know what trials and tribulations our Swedish soldier will go through before the end. Keep it up! :)

I'll be watching this one...

Very Nice :)

To Stnylan:
Thank you very much for giving me pointers! it helped alot! when people grow silent I become nervous, I've got bad confidence :( anyway, now its back up :)

shadow_kotten said:
To Stnylan:
Thank you very much for giving me pointers! it helped alot! when people grow silent I become nervous, I've got bad confidence :( anyway, now its back up :)

Glad to be of service ;)

Before the invasion

Chapter III​

The Storm​
kattegat9sz.jpg
The Invasion was very close now, me and my men were ordered to a camp near the Kattegatt. I sat and leaned towards a cannon on the beach and gazed out over the stormy water, watched how the Swedish navy prepared their ships with food and ammunition for the invasion.
I looked toward the HQ-tent and saw the löjtnant talking to my father, the conversation came to an end and the löjtnant started to walk towards me.

"Do you think it's clearing up? I think it's clearing up." Wondered the löjtnant, talking about the storm.
"No, I don't think so." I answered
"I think it's clearing up." He repeated
"Löjtnant..." I said
"Call me Gabriel and yes?" He said friendly
"How many men do you think it's going to cost us?" I asked with my friend's lives on my mind.

"Well...I'll tell you a secret, can you keep a secret?" He whispered. "This invasion is a surprise attack..."
"What do you mean?" I asked
"The Swedish government hasn't yet declared war upon Denmark... the message will be sent when we have captured Köpenhamn (Copenhagen) and then it's already too late for Denmark to defeat us." He whispered.
"But that's... that's not honorable! The officers always talk about honor in war and battle! What happened to that?" I yelled.
"Calm down..." He said while looking around so that no one has heard us "This way is much better for the army! We will loose MUCH less men and the enemy doesn’t have time to reorganize their army."

It looked like the ships were done loading supplies and were moving out, I continued too watch the ships and was quite for awhile.

"You'll be leading 30 men, there will be 32.000 soldiers in the invasion but we don't have many officers in this invasion." He said too break the silence "I'll put your friends under your command if you want."
"I think they would appreciate that." I said "Do you have any idea when we're going over the channel?"
"Tomorrow... That’s why I'm hoping it's clearing up." He sighed
"I just hope that my friends don't die." I said with worry

We watched the waves go up and down on the beach; it looked like it was calming down.

"Good luck." Gabriel said and went up to the HQ again met by Jan
"Thanks..." I whispered
Jan came to me and sat down
"What was that idiot doing here?" Jan asked
"Talking about sending you back to your father and tell what a bad boy you've been." I grinned
"Ha-ha" He said stiff. "So...I've heard a rumor that the invasion starts soon."
"It's true" I answered quickly
"Shouldn't we be getting our equipment and listening to your instructions?" He wondered.
"Yes, we should" I said and stood up.

I gazed one last time over the Kattegatt and saw a fisherman far away.

Last edited:
gosam said:
nice, i like you're writing but i'd prefer it to have a little bit more of in-game descriptions and screenshots.

thx, i said in the beginning that it would be about a swedish soldier, but ill try putting in more in-game stuff...

thx for reading my AAR

Last edited:
A very nice little update, our soldier getting a reality check. The nervousness in the lieutenant came across well, and a nice bit of camaraderie with Jan. The fisherman is a nice detail. I wonder if it portends something. Keep up the good work.